Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Not Dead Yet - In Character Role Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Logan smiled. She actually did it. He wouldn't admit to anyone else but he got an eyeful. When Naomi departed back to the deck he decided she didn't need his help, besides it just sounded like another new comer. Instead he continued to explore.

Going through a few desk drawers he found some heavy duty tape, and a bull horn. He tossed the tape into his pocket and carried the horn. A few old life vests hung on a rack, wasn't sure what use those would be, but he took note of them anyways. Part of the lower decks were rotted and a few planks of wood were loose, others would take little effort. Tape, vests, planks. Worse came to it he could make a small raft for a few of them and head down stream until the banks were clear. Safer then running into a hoard. Nodding he headed back up and noted the new comers. Not one for much words he simply gave them a nod. He figured if they needed anything they'd ask. He set the horn down on the ground and leaned against a wall.

Sai looked at the girl talking to her now as she started to re-dress. She knew the need for decency was not an option being they were in danger of dying. She then moved so she could find a new place to hide. Looking at the gun she hid it in her." I'm twenty years old and yes its twenty or thirty of those Walkers over there." She then sat down once more saying." I have water and ten cans of food in my bag we can use. Oh and a kitchen knife. I'm really good at crawling around places others can't get."

Naomi puffed out her cheeks as she scanned for way onto ground, feeling the unpleasant dampness in her chest area and between her hips. It seemed to her that they would've to swim again to get to the surface, to be wet again and she didn't like that idea at the slightest. "So what's the plan? It's obvious we can't stay here." She asked, directing to nobody in particular. "It seems we need to make another swim across. Maybe we could come across a clearing once we're on land. The scores of walkers there are a concern yes, but it's better than just.. stuck here." She took on the faces of the people around her, hoping that they see her reason or if they could come up with a better plan. "I'm sure the five of us could handle the walkers given if we're careful... I think. How many of you has a weapon? Not a gun though, the sound would just attract more of them." Naomi took her butterfly knife and held it for display, "I've got mine. It doesn't look much but I know how to use it. A stab in the brain is all it needs to bring one down."

Logan sighed and pulled out his knife and stepped forward. He jammed it into the soft metal of the boat. He'd sharpen it later.

"That's a bowie, one of the best for both fight and survival. I found a few life vests, some tape and loose wooden planks. We can make a raft and avoid both banks of those things. That's my plan and if you wanna join me, give me a hand with putting it together. It wont fit all of us, but we can send a person back when the current is weak for the rest. Naomi is right we can't stay here for too long and the longer we do, the more we attract here."

"There's... no current," Eliza cautiously observed once the tall, rugged man laid out his plans. "There are waves. Little ones," she eyed him as if she almost expected him to be upset at her contradiction, but she was a stickler for details. "But if we do go across we won't have anyone with dry clothes, so I'd suggest we rebag the clothes and keep them dry for the other side." That caused her to shiver involuntarily, her body finally wearing off from the adrenaline and realizing that the slight breeze in the air made created a chill.

She had flinched when he jammed his large Bowie into the metal of the ship. He was obviously the strongest one there and seemed like the natural one to lead. Eliza glanced over at Naomi. The slim oriental had asked about weapons, and though it seemed obvious she thought that she had better mention what she carried. "I'm a decent shot with the bow but I don't have many arrows left. I have a knife if it gets up close and personal, but mostly we've just been running."

The girl motioned with her chin to her father. "He prefers that we not engage," she explained. "He's... ah... a 'peaceful' man." Her smile was weak but she tried to share it. "He doesn't interfere, but he's not much help when it comes to dispatching the threat, if you get my drift." She looked around at the wood and the supplies that Logan mentioned. "I'll be glad to help, though. Maybe we can put the weaker swimmers on the raft and put others like me in the water with a vest. We can swim alongside and guide the raft to where it looks safest."

Her father had resumed taking notes in his journal and seemed to be ignoring the others. Once they began to work on the raft he would pitch in and help, but for now he was being useful by being out of the way.

Naomi also flinched when the rugged man stuck his bowie knife onto the boat. Her knife seemed minuscule and useless in comparison. "Eliza's right. Anyone who can't afford another swim across could be carried on the rafter. I suppose it can only carries two or three people. I for one could still make another swim and Eliza had read my mind, those who opt for swimming and altogether guiding the rafter should put their clothes in the ziplock bags Eliza had gracefully provided." She flashed a weak smile towards her. "That way we can avoid getting our clothes soaked yet again."

Naomi already had in mind on who are going to be carried on board the rafter but it needs not be said. No doubt Dr. Beauman will have the honor due to his inability and complete lack of skills to adapt. She had thought that anybody who had survived this far would've developed the necessary skills to survive. Yet here he was, alive but unwilling to even kill a single walker. She wondered where he had spent the time since the initial outbreak.

The second and last one got to be their newly added member. The girl looked too cold-ridden and exhausted to try for another swim across. Naomi couldn't blame her though, she does have a small frame. "How about you? Do you have a weapon? I still haven't get your name. Mine's Naomi." She turned the talk towards the petite girl sitting on the deck.

Sai had been half listening her brain trying to think. When suddenly the questions turned to her she looked at Naomi. Then seeming to think for a moment she said." I can swim a crossed if I need to but I'd be useless once a crossed. I don't fight much at all. Me and my brothers would wrestle but I can't do much else. As you saw with the gun I'm bad with it. I can use a knife but I'm more of a runner. Used to do long distance track, I'm agile and I can fit in most places others can't. So my size is my weapon I geuss." Getting up slowly she looked a crossed the water." On the other side the Walkers aren't as fast as some others I've seen also their is a store less than a mile from the water. We can stalk up there."

When her name was asked she said." Oh... names Sai but most just call me Blondie." Taking her winter coat she started ringing it out as well as her other clothes. The man with the large knife did bother her some but not enough to leave the safety of a group.

He watched the water for a moment, there was no current right now. However by the time they were done who knew? It would most likely be night fall by then anyways and as the day was wearing thin, making a run through the walkers to the store....

"Ok, so I'm thinking we hole up here for the night. If we get working on the raft now we can be done before we retire, or we can start early in the morning. If you prefer to simply cross and head to the store, we can do that tomorrow as well. Most of you are spent and crossing that river, running through walkers and then to a store a mile away...to also mention we don't know it's condition or what sort of locals we will encounter, best to do that at day break." He removed his knife and looked at the group stepping back.

What the hell was he doing? He stared at his reflection in the blade. He honestly didn't expect most, if any of them to make it. Sometimes it didn't matter how hard you fought, life had other ideas. In the end all you can do is go down swinging.

"You're right," Eliza agreed. "It's best to work on the raft now and rest, then we can leave in the morning." She helped the others the best they could, following Logan's instructions as her father watched and took notes on his observations. The close bank seemed to get thicker with the Walkers, who eventually stopped moving and just stood there on the bank like silent, deadly sentinels. By the time the evening light had dimmed too much to work by their raft was eighty percent completed and it looked like it might actually float.

On the flipside, there wasn't a lot of places on the slanted deck to sleep comfortably, and below decks there was only enough room for maybe two people. It was up to them to decide who slept where. Doctor Beauman had already spread out a small blanket and he was using his pack as a pillow on the deck, his head on the higher end. He seemed content and not at all worried about where they would go next.

Eliza stood and stretched, her body taut from all the bending and tying. "I think it's time to call it quits and to get some sleep." She shaded her eyes at what was left of the sunset to peer at the far banks. "Hey Logan, you think we need to set watches, or should we just all go to sleep?"

Then she gave both Naomi and Sai a thankful smile. "You guys did great on the raft. Who knew we all had a little bit of Noah in us?"

Sai stayed quiet the entire time they worked on the raft. When logan spoke though she seemed afraid of him like he might hit her. One time she even had jumped seeing him move the blade. In all the girl seemed overly shy and frighten. Looking around to sleep she went to a tight corner and just laid on her sidw, legs pulled close to her chest and arms around them. She said then." You knew what to do you just told me." Falling silent once more she closed her eyes.

About two hours later though she could be heard crying softly as her dreams were nightmares. She hated her life and she still cried when she woke up.

The sun was too way down by the time they finished building most of the raft. The air a chill and windy, sky almost too dark to even see and no sunlight left to take advantage of for drying linens. Naomi stretched her body all sore from the work but it was mostly her waist that complained. She had spent a good amount of time squatting. "I'll take the space below deck." She said massaging her neck with her right hand, her left on her hip. "And I'll take the first watch if it's needed." She added. The three of them were the only ones still up for a discussion. The rest were already snugged on the deck, either too tired or simply didn't care.

She had also become concerned over Blondie because she had admitted that she is not much of a fighter. Perhaps not all survivors who had made it were fighters, she thought to herself. She just hoped that the petite blonde could carry her own weight.

It's wasn't easy, giving instructions. Loan was more a do it yourself guy. He hadn't expected everyone to try and pitch it, but there it was. Not the best, but ok all considering. He watched as a the people slowly drifted off. The blonde seemed afraid of hom, he knew not why, for he gave her no reason. Perhaps he reminded her of someone?

" no taking shifts aren't needed. If others try to bostd, they will make enough noise as is. The dead aren't approaching either, they would have if they could. Seeing as the space is full here you don't mind if I join you Naomi?"

Eliza opted to sleep near her father, but whether it was because it was more comfortable to be near someone she knew or she was concerned about his welfare was up for debate. So as Logan and Naomi found a way to sleep, or be comforted, below decks, she laid near her father and turned so that she could watch Blondie. The girl reminded her of the character 'Baby' in Dirty Dancing. It was a strange movie to think about when she was stranded out on the middle of a damned lake, with Walkers on one side and uncertainty on the other.

When the soft sounds of sobbing reached her ears she opened her eyes and laid there for a moment, trying to figure out what she was hearing. She quietly got up and moved to where the little one was curled in the corner. "Blondie?" Her voice was hushed, almost as if it was sacred environment and too loud a voice might shatter the sanctuary. "Hey... are you okay Hon?" Eliza had switched to paramedic mode, looking for signs of injury or illness as she approached the other girl. "It's going to be alright. We have each other now, you're not alone."

Blondie looked at the older girl and said." Its not fair. They were stronger they should be alive I should have died. I mean come on i can't even shoot a damn gun and everyone knows I'm a kid." Blondie was twenty two now her birthday only had been two weeks ago though." I mean come on even you're more grown up than me."

She shifted though her small Fram perfect in the small door way of the door. Sai herself didn't know what to do anymore. Sure she could hang with these guys but she would slow them down.

Naomi stopped in her tracks for a while, considering Logan's suggestion. ".. Yeah.. sure.. I don't mind." She did actually, she had always minded the presence of men but the current state of the world doesn't left much in the way of choosing your friends, more so your allies. So she opt to be more friendly than she usually was, break the boundaries she had set up for herself on a life that seemed so distant now. It was all she could do when better relations with strangers could save you from death itself.

Sighing, she descended to the bottom deck, not amused by the idea of sleeping so close to a man; a man who had been ogling her body not so long ago. He wasn't a bad looking man though and he seemed decent enough but it still unnerved her nevertheless. Her father was not that bad looking himself. "I'll take this corner." She said quiet, almost as if she was afraid to draw further attention, brushing aside the darkest memory of her life from her thoughts and failing at it. She could hear her heart thumping loudly within, too frantic for comfort as she leaned down to sit beside a wall, unstrapping her backpack.

As she lied down, her head propped up against her bag, she fixed her wary eyes on the man. In case he tries anything funny or stupid. She doubted she could take him on, judging from his outlook, he is not the average joes she frequently met at the gym, military background probably. Still, she was sure that she could damage him, give him enough resistance to think twice. When the man had settled in, she turned on her other side facing the wall, her back facing him. This had turned into a bad idea as she stared blankly at the wall, finding it extremely difficult to close her eyes, her mind darted recalling that incident yet again; the incident that she would never forget.

He was unsure of her nature, at times she seemed happy almost open other times distant, perhaps still running from something. He knew in time perhaps she would share, and he wouldn't press.

Unlike the others, Logan didn't sleep, not fully. He took micro naps closing his eyes relaxing his body drifting give minutes at a time. He preferred to always be alert. He watched her small frame rise and fall. Who was he kidding? He liked her, yes, but get attached in these times? Better dig two graves. Still...he shook his head. He was sure she had an idea he was into her, best to hold off, let her make that move.

He had the others to think of now, the small current hitting the ship reminded him of his navy days. Leading, helping, was just in his blood. He drifted again.

-Up on the Deck-

Eliza heard what sounded like self-pitying, but she reminded herself that not everyone came through this unscathed. Hell, who was she kidding? No one was going to come through this unscathed. Not even her.

She tried not to sound too cynical or insincere as she spoke to the small-framed woman in the doorway. Perhaps what she should have been looking for was emotional damage, not physical. A girl who had just lost her parents and knew that she was unable to take care of herself physically was bound to feel some sort of survivor's guilt. It was common, especially if there was a chance that one of her family members died saving her.

"Blondie, baby, life isn't about what's fair. It doesn't make sense who lives and who dies, but that doesn't mean that you stop trying." She adjusted her legs so that she could sit next to the girl. Her legs were folded beneath her, tucked in and warm even against what was left of the boat's wooden deck. "I bet that guy, Logan, could teach us all a thing or two about how to shoot guns, if that's what you want to learn. Or I can teach you how to hunt with a bow, or... well... there are so many things you could learn. How to start a fire, how to set a broken bone, how to treat basic injuries." She smiled at her in the light of the half-moon. "But it's up to you to decide that you're not going to let your size or your age, or your gender stop you from learning what you need to know."

She reached out and put what she thought was a comforting hand on the woman's arm. "And you're not alone. Okay? You're not alone - that's the most important thing to remember."

As they talked in the quiet of the night a small flicker of light on the far bank caught Eliza's eye. She peered over at it, then rubbed her eyes to look again. "Do you see that?" Over on the bank there was a faint light. It flickered intermittently, obscuring the idea that it might have been a message. It seemed to move slowly along the bank, then disappear into the trees before appearing again further down the bank. Otherwise that side of the lake seemed quiet, broken only by the occasional sound of wildlife. After a few minutes the light disappeared and the bank was motionless.

They could tell that the faint glow of light on the horizon meant that morning was only an hour or two away. So far the night had been uneventful, thankfully, and now the only thing that disturbed the peaceful sounds of night time was the soft snores of Dr. Beauman a few feet away and the soft lapping of the water against the side of the boat.

Blondie nodded her head, but stopped when the older girl said she saw something. Getting up she grabbed her back pack and pulled out a set of binoculars handed them to Eliza. "Use these" She then moved up on the deck scanning the bank. "I see it...... it looks like a..... flash light..." The light seemed to be moving sporadically back and forth like someone swinging a light. Sai stayed still trying to think of how or what someone might be doing on the bank.

"They need to turn the light off.... Walkers might come..." She was hoping to get a better idea, but she could not see any form to whatever was related to the light due to the lack of light. Standing up a little then she looked around and then reaching into her back pack once more saying. "If I use this we can send an S.O.S message." She pulled out a small flash light. "I know a little Morse Coad."

"No." Eliza put a hand over Blondie's to keep her from using the flashlight. "We don't know if that's a friend or foe, or even a Walker with a flashlight on him. If you flash your light we can attract the wrong kind of attention," she cautioned. "It's better to wait until we can see what we're dealing with."

On the far bank the light seemed to move away. Soon it wasn't visible any longer, and all signs of the blinking light were gone.

Morning was just a few hours away. With the cold air all around them Eliza felt the chill cutting through her still-wet clothing. Unlike Naomi and Blondie she had stayed in her wet clothes, and though they were layered, the only thing that saved her was the wool-blend of the material. It kept her somewhat warm despite it's dampness, but her chest got cold, and soon she found herself huddling with Blondie for both mutual comfort and warmth.

Eventually the sun began to cast long streaks of light across the lake's surface. In the far, far distance a brave rooster crowed. Birds were waking in the trees and a few cautious deer drank at the water's edge. Eliza groaned as her stiff limbs protested being moved. Slowly she extracted herself from Blondie and stretched, then crawled over to check on her snoring father. He was bundled up and seemed deep in sleep. She smiled, thankful that he could find rest and peace even now. Once she was sure that her father was alright she moved to the entry to the lower quarters and tried to peer into the darkness. "Logan? Naomi?" Her voice seemed overly loud to her. "I think it's light enough to start crossing to the other side."

Naomi turned to her other side facing the ceiling, propping herself up with her elbows, her face not even half-awake yet and her hair messy. She squinted at the room's entrance, seeing Eliza standing there. "Oh... hey Eliza.." There was a light coming from the upper deck, it must have been morning already. She brought herself to sit with mild difficulty, feeling the soreness all over her body. No doubt the product of sleeping on hard surface. She mewled as she stretched her arms, delighted by the stretching sensation it gave to her arms and narrow waist. "What time is it?" She asked as she rubbed her eyelids, standing up. "We'll get started on the rafter once Logan is up. I need to get some fresh air."

She stood upstairs taking lungfuls of the fresh and cool morning air. It was pleasant enough despite of the circumstances. Even though there was something else in the air she breathed that she couldn't exactly pinpoint. She leaned on the railing of the deck, still not getting used to standing on an uneven ground. Watching the smooth river water flowing peacefully, listening to the tweets of the birds, feeling the chill yet pleasant morning breeze against her bare arms. She could even see a few deer drinking at the edge of the river. It would all have been perfect if not for the uneven surface she's standing on, the snoring of Dr. Beauman and ultimately, the occurring outbreak.

Eliza moved aside to let Naomi climb back onto deck. "It's about six-thirty," she answered, going back on deck. "Pretty, huh?" She joined the girl and surveyed the shores. "I think Blondie is waking up. She and I saw a light moving along the bank last night. Like a flash light or something, but it disappeared after about ten minutes." She turned back towards the boat as the sounds of her father groaning and waking reached them.

He stretched, albeit not as gracefully as Naomi had, and then coughed up morning phlegm. Hacking, he turned and spat a gob into the river before he finally stood. First he stretched to the left, his arms held over his head, then to the right. Back, then forth. "These old bones aren't what they used to be. In my day I was a gymnast," he informed them. "Almost made the Olympics. But... those were the days, eh? Nowadays I can't even flip a pancake over." He chuckled and rubbed his eyes, then looked over at the raft.

"You don't expect me to try to ride that do you, Eliza? It's a floating coffin."

"Daddy, it's something to help us all get over. The other side is far."

"Bah. I could have swum the English Channel in my day."

Eliza smiled at Naomi and gave her an 'I'm so sorry about my dad' look. "I know, Pop. We all had better days."

He nodded and then went over to shake Blondie. "Hey, Kiddo! Time to rise and shine! We got important appointments to make today, eh?" Once he got some kind of response from Blondie he walked over to the entry to the boat and hollered down there. "Logan! My boy! Let's get off this death trap and go see some new land. Come one, you don't need to make yourself pretty for the girls." He chuckled at his own joke. "Reminds me of Joseph. He was a good man, Eliza. You shouldn't have let that one go."

Blondie woke up after a while feeling a bit groggy and stiff. She stood then looked around after a bit she walked over to the edge of the ship or boat's edge whatever it was did not mater. Looking a crossed the water she said. "I can make the swim. Mind if I take off my clothes? I'll swim in my under garments and then get dressed we are a crossed. We cannot fit everyone on the raft at least I do not think we can. If we risk too many we could get hurt." Standing there she sat down and stayed focused on the water. "Anyone here have a plan for when we get to the other side?" She then closed her eyes just staying still. "Can we go somewhere warm?"

"We can't go west... but maybe south." Adelle said loudly from the highest point of the boat that wasn't submerged in water. She would be lying if she said that she slept there all night. Like, who sleeps anymore? The woman tossed down her bag and hopped down as carefully as she could to not disturb the boat further. Her chocolate toned skin was already shining from the sweat. Her hair curled and kinked in the humidity and the nice little swim from yesterday didn't help it either.

Adelle got on one knee and unzipped her old pack. Inside were her weapons and a few pieces of food. She broke off some small pieces of bread and stretched out her hands to hand the larger piece out to the others. Sharing her food would keep all of them alive a little longer. It didn't matter who grabbed the offered piece.

"The raft can hold those of us who aren't strong swimmers or at least keep our supplies dry. The rest of us can swim to shore." She zipped up her bag and put it on. Her eyes scanned the others, feeling a little safer for now. Then she looked to the other side of the lake and couldn't see anyone or anything just yet...

"If you don't know, I'm Adelle... Yeah, like the singer." She grinned. It was a nice thought and an easier way for some people to remember.

Logan stepped out into the light shielding his eyes for a moment. Some new woman, name like a singer , was on board. Hopefully not another to look after. He wasn't native to this area, so he needed some intel.

"Morning folks. Ok so crossing ain't the issue. While back someone mentioned a store few miles past the standing hoard. My question is, what else is around that? We need to make sure we aren't in an area that's too desirable to others. That'd only bring trouble."

Logan eyed the raft. It would hold. Barely, but it would. One journey only. " I'll swing as well, but I'll be keeping my clothes on. " he glanced at Blondie. Any other time in his life he'd have been happy women were stripping near him. Now...he still was just much less so.

Eliza felt a shiver as Logan took charge. It felt good to have a man around, someone who would make decisions and take the lead in their group. She felt like the mother hen with the little one and between her and Eliza's father, it made her feel more matronly than womanly. She looked up at the sky and saw that the few clouds that were there seemed to be quickly burning off in the morning sun. That was good news; they didn't need to die of exposure or chills.

"I'd like to suggest that we put our heavy things, like our packs, on the raft and tie them down. Those who aren't good swimmers can either ride or hang on." She undid a bracelet on her wrist and began to unweave a length of paracord. "I have about seven and a half feet of cord here. It should be enough to lash the bags on top."

She ran a hand through her hair to get it out of her eyes as she spoke. "I guess there's no time like the present." Then she noticed Adelle offering bread. "Thanks," she said, a real smile crossing her lips. "That's nice of you."

Up on the lower part of the deck a sound like water trickling in a small fountain floated over to them. The good doctor was standing against the rail, pissing. He turned and looked over the shoulder at his daughter. "I won't be in the water like yous guys - I gotta piss now or wait until we cross." He grinned and zipped up his pants. "Good thing there aren't any mosquitoes out, huh?"

Eliza sighed. Turning back to the others, Logan, Naomi, Blondie and Adelle, she gave them all her 'let's go get them' smile. "Well, let's do it."

The crossing was slow. Once one of the bindings on the raft came apart and it had to be repaired on the go. Another time Dr. Beauman thought he saw a Walker in the water, but it turned out to be some brown leaves floating past. Once they reached the other side they had to sludge through some thick weeds and over a few rotted logs before they reached the dirt, then they had to deal with sand and mud sticking to everything that was wet.

For the most part the bags that were on the raft didn't get much wetter. Only the bottom two inches were subjected to the water. Those who had stripped had dry clothing to get back into, but those who didn't wouldn't have to wait too long for their clothes to dry in the morning warmth. By noon they'd all be mostly dry. For the time being it seemed as if they hadn't attracted any Walker or human attention. The boat they had left seemed awfully far away from this side, and the entire swim took about forty minutes due to the two hazards they had encountered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom