Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Mental Imagery and Aphantasia

Mr Quixotic

The Lowest Form Of Wit
Withdrawn
I've mentioned this on my journal before, but though I'd throw it out as a question, as I'm quite curious.

Ever since I can recall, I've lacked the ability to generate or maintain an image in my mind. Up until a few years ago, I thought those who said they 'could see things in their head' were speaking metaphorically, and that they didn't actually see real images as if they were watching a movie or looking at a picture. Then, I discovered they actually could and trying to comprehend how that works, to me, is like attempting to interpret a foreign language.

It's only recently that Scientist's have discovered that not all people have a working 'mind's eye' - up until then it was assumed everyone did -, and that any research has been undertaken. A couple of months ago, it was given a name, "Aphantasia."

Aphantasia - New York Times article

I'm intrigued to as to how common, or rare this is. And to know how much those who do possess a functioning mind's eye rely on mental imagery, and/or if it's just something which is taken for granted and not really thought about.

I'm an extremely visual person, so mental imagery comes very easily and quite naturally to me. I have a harder time with faces, but everything else...no problem. I'm especially good when it comes to 3-dimensional type images. For instance, I can be in a room, get an idea of it, then go to a store and then be able to look at furniture and tell you whether or not something will fit against a particular wall or not. I will literally be able to tell you that wall A is around X ft long, etc etc. The same goes for descriptions. So, if you're able to write well and describe things reasonably well, my mind will be able to conjure up the image without any issue. If you lack the description in your text, my mind has a tendency to sort of fill in the gaps with a best estimate based on my own experiences. >///< Not sure as to why my mind will do that, but it does. So, rather than leaving things blank, it will just interpret what it wants in that regard...unless I'm told otherwise. This can be done when someone suddenly decides to share a picture AFTER a while. lol. And woooo...can that mess with my head. XD

Thanks for the response, DA. I just find it amazing that people actually do, and can't imagine what it's like. I'd never really thought about it before in relation to my spatial abilities as well. I'd need to measure everything, as I couldn't mentally place the furniture against the wall to see if it'd fit. Descriptions are my biggest issue, particularly when it comes to writing. I can give you the 'broad-brush' and prominent features, but the details elude me. I just try to make them up as best as I can, so at the least the other person can create their own image from what I provide.

I find it fascinating how the brain works, and comes up with alternative strategies. I guess that yours just creates images and/or, likes to have them, so when you don't have all the information, it does the best it can from using past experiences and knowledge to complete the picture. I can see how jarring it'd be, if after you've done that, an actual one is then provided, or if you've been speaking to someone over the phone or internet, pictured them in your head, then eventually get to meet/see them. It could be like "Whoa, you're not who I expected!"

You're quite welcome. : )

I think my visual skills is partly why I originally pursued engineering as a profession. I'm just able to see those sorts of things along with how things can move in space, etc. I'm not really quite sure how I'm able to do this either. I'm also able to look at a lot of those puzzles and see how they work. You know, the sorts like the following:

wood.jpg

bent-nail156.jpg

Horseshoe-Puzzles.jpg

These are some of the more common puzzles and should be familiar to many. Well, with these sorts, I'm able to visualize how to solve them and then just can. It's not always practical, but it's a nifty talent. XD And it does stem into how I write. As such, I'm very descriptive and wordy. I have to say, I find it very interesting that there are people who can't visualize at all. I can understand not being able to visualize everything in a crystal clear manner. After all, I cannot do faces. That is my only exception. Faces are often blurred and just have the basics--eye color, hair color, a prominent feature perhaps. But it does amaze me that there are people who cannot even get a blurred image where our minds just sort of conjure up what it wants based on experience. The things you learn.... : )

I struggle with those types of puzzles, because I can't see what they should end up looking like. The same with IQ tests and that sort of thing; I'll go just fine, then get to the spatial questions, and be, "This is all too damn hard", and give up in frustration. I can see your visualisation abilities from having perused some of your writings in the threads.

I'm the same, I find it fascinating that people can, it's just beyond my experience to properly comprehend. To me, the best way to describe it when I try is 'nothingness.' It really just hit me for the first time, when thinking about it after reading your post, that I couldn't even tell you what colour my parents or sibling's eyes are, although the visuals must be stored somewhere as it has no bearing on ability to recognise people/objects. It's not something I really miss as I've never had the ability, and it's compensated for in other ways, but still it'd be nice to just, once, read a novel and be able to envisage what the characters look like!

On the flip side, though, at least when they turn a book into a movie, I don't have any preconceived notions about how they should appear; except for bloody Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher. Even I know, "Six feet five, and two hundred and twenty pounds of muscle," is not Tom Cruise!

Back
Top Bottom