Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Endless War (Spyke LionxKayLove)

Ortega sat in silence.

A daughter? His... daughter?

Ortega quickly shook his head, almost in denial. But... it could be true. He did come to the amazons with the high honor... and it was the priestess that he... but... a daughter? Shock overcame him, his heart beating like a mad drum in his chest. Suddenly, a thousand thoughts cluttered in his brain, each one jumbling around each other. Could this really, really be true? Ortega wiped his brow, sweat already beginning to gather. Never before had he felt such responsibility- he was never aware he had a child.... sure, he had flings and such in his youth, but he never dedicated himself to starting a family.

In the darkness, Ortega thought, unable to sleep...

----

Haine stood outside, crossing his arms. The morning sun was already raising in the sky, the smell of breakfast cooking in the homes nearby wafting into his nostrils. Waking up early wasn't new to him- it was more like an old habit. Waking up early for battle, and fighting until way throughout the day and into the evening. It had even started before he joined the kings army, when he...

He shook the thought from his head, focusing on the day's objectives. They had successfully recruited help from the amazons, and unfortunately that redheaded woman was coming along. Haine frowned at the thought, reaching up to gently touch the cut on the side of his face. It was already beginning to heal, looking red and swollen on the side of his cheek. Luckily, it showed no sign of infection... perhaps that amazon made sure to keep her blades clean.

Suddenly, the door behind him opened, and Haine glanced back to see a very exhausted Ortega, lines hanging underneath his eyes. "Old man?" He asked, cocking his eyebrow. "What the hell happened to you?..."

"It's not important." Ortega shook his head. "Anyways... let's go meet up with them. " Not caring to pry, Haine followed his officer through the village.

As the morning came and the sun cast its rays on to the river making the waters shimmer with a pale gold and the sky rose pink quickly fading into blue. It was going to be a perfect day in Floria, but not all would get to enjoy it. The women were already up and about, helping the warriors prepare for their departure. Horses were readied and women suited in their travel wears and supplied with necessities as well as said their goodbyes to their families and headed towards the great gate to wait for their leader to head them out.

Many of the women were dressed in their lightest of armors, leather with thick metal bracelets on their arms and wrists as well as various weapons, sharpened, and strapped to their backs. The looked like a fierce bunch of warriors ones that men could also get caught drooling over as well, with their thighs and midsections showing it was a lot of skin that men were not used to seeing on a day to day basis.

Elegra prepared herself alone, dressing in a dark brown lather corset that was laced tightly, steel bands around her upper arms and forearms that were pounded with the symbol of their goddess: a simple tree. She dressed in tight black pants that hugged her curves but allowed for movement. Her read hair was pulled back in to a high pony tail and she left her face clean of markings, after all they would not see battle for a little while perhaps. She strapped a small blade to her thigh as well as slipped one in to her knee high boots that made a satisfying click on the ground when ever she walked. Lastly was her back of supplies as well as her blades, she strapped her blades around her waist and headed to the stables where her horse was ready for her. The amazon smiled at her horse, he was a large chocolate brown stallion, with feathers braided into his mane. His name was Ren and she had had him since he was born. She cooed his name softly before mounting the readied stallion and heading to the court yard where she knew the men would be.

As Elegra made her way to Ortega and Haine the men's horses were brought to them by the same young amazon that gave Haine the cloth for his cheek, her dark hazel eyes sparkling with excitement as she practically skipped on her way to give the horses to the men. Spotting them she hurried over with the horses in tow and smiled up at them both her innocent eyes pure and full of hope.

"They have been all prepared for you both!" she said in a rather loud voice as if not sure her voice would reach up that far, looking at he black knight with an awe inspired look cast upon her features.

Inside the temple had been turned back from a place of eating to a place of worship and Priestess Narsissa was kneeling before the statue of Floria, chanting away, her words swelling around her like notes upon a piano. They were rhythmic and hope filled. She was praying for a smooth victory as well as a hope for the future of her people. She prayed that her goddess grant strength to even the allied men.

She would not be seeing her people or the men out, she did not believe in saying goodbye. Her people knew this and left her to her praying. She was the one that helped them receive their goddesses blessing it was a tedious task that must be done, but she would watch them leave out the grand window of the temple, stoic as the statue that she keeled before.

Ortega stood quietly, his eyes trained on the ground in thought. He hadn't been able to get a wink of sleep the previous night. With numerous thoughts swirling around in his head, Ortega just couldn't keep himself calm. That incredible fighter... was his daughter? A strange sense of pride that he had never felt before shot into his chest, swelling up and warming his blood. She had been indeed fantastic... but now was he sending his daughter into the war? On the front lines even? Ortega shook his head, whispering to himself while rubbing his eyes. There was absolutely no way he could afford to think and act irrational. She may be his daughter, but she didn't know it... to her, he was just another man. Ortega sighed, scratching the back of his head.

"What is with you, old man?" Haine frowned, staring down at his officer. "You've been whispering and sighing for the past hour or so. Are you finally going senile?" Ortega glanced up at Haine, staring at him blankly in the eyes before slapping the larger man on the back, his hand connecting with the flat of Haine's blade.

"Ah, not quite yet." Ortega chuckled, hiding his stress well. "Just... going over ideas. Come, let us gather our horses."

Haine and Ortega, barely a few moments later, had been quickly given their horses by a young, excited girl, her loud voice surprising him. "Ah." Haine shoved his hand into a pouch on his armor. "Is this-" But she had quickly dashed away, once again disappearing into the crowd.

"Alright, Haine." Ortega grunted, climbing up onto his horse. "We'll be leading the women out of the forest to join my unit. We have immediate work to do once we get back there, and I have to send a quick letter to the general about our success here. In the meantime, don't-"

"I know." Haine grumbled, climbing atop his large, black stallion, the horse not even batting an eye at Haine's weight. It was larger than most horses, it would have to be in order for Haine to ride it. "Don't provoke the amazons." Haine said with a free, something immediately catching his eye.

"Although there is that one..." Haine growled quietly, spotting Elegra making her way over to them. She quickly caught Ortega's attention, and the older man stiffened up in his saddle. He wasn't ready for this... but he would have to be. Taking a deep breath to calm and relax himself, Ortega flicked his reins, his horse trotting over to the redheaded woman.

"Good morning, Elegra." Ortega greeted with a wide smile. "Are you ready to depart?"

Elegra spotted the men chatting together from a distance, her nerves calm and collected, as well as when they were given the horses but not being able to get a good look at her face she brushed it off as she neared them. Her shoulders straightened and her hands tightened on the reigns of her horse, she could almost hear Ren complaining to her but she patted the side of his neck and pressed on.

Getting closer she noted that Haine looked like the same scowling beast he had as before while Ortega looked less than comfortable to be there at the moment. She wondered why but quickly dismissed it for a restless nights sleep. Her green eyes returning to Haine as her thoughts drifted to what the women said the other day about them having grand children, it was of course true but she refused to acknowledge that.

Letting her eyes wonder over Haine as her thoughts roamed before they were interrupted by the Commanders voice. She raised a brow and looked back at him, truly seeing the lines upon his face for the first time. This made her brow frown but she didn't comment and returned his smile with a small one of her own.

"Morning Commander." she said with a nod as she gave him a tight smile, her eyes scanning the women around the court yard, all doing something to help others leave. "In just a moment actually." she said with a distracted glance here and there before she saw the brunette head bobbing through the crowd towards her.

"Lilly!" she gave a shout and slid off her horse with ease, landing on the stones that she had just battled over yesterday. The young shorter girl that made her way back to the men was the same girl that gave Haine the cloth and brought the horses.

Elegra smiled brightly at the girl and opened her arms to hung the thin little thing, she practically jumped in to them and gave her a fierce hug. It was her sister, they were more than ten years apart but she loved her more than anything. She knew that they did not have the same father, that much her mother had told her but she didn't care she was her blood and she would do anything to protect her.

The towering amazon knelt before her sister and brushed her wild hair from her face as she spoke, "Lilly, I'll be home sooner than you know it." she took her hands into her own, "Can you take care of things for me while I'm gone?" she asked and Lilly nodded with a broad smile upon her tanned face, "Good." she hugged her sister and stroked the back of her head, "Take care of mother." and with that she kissed her sister on the forehead and she was off, never seeming to stay in one place for too long, she was as wild as the west winds.

"Okay Commander, now we shall go." she told him, her face reverting back to the one of a warrior rather than a proud glowing older sister. In her own language she yelled across the courtyard, "Head out!" the command was strong and natural to her, and all listened to her when she spoke like her mother, she was a natural leader. The women who were staying cheered and clapped for them, wishing them good luck as they headed towards the gates to the rest of the women waiting on their leave.

She gave Ren a light kick to the side and he was off at a fast trot towards the gates, leaving it up to the men to follow her. She loved being on her horse, he had a kindred spirit like her own, they both were calm in the face of battle and that was soon to come in handy.

And so, the march had begun. Haine pulled on the reins of his horse, following after the large unit of amazons that were making their way out of the gate. Finally, they were getting back to the fighting. He had been pulled out directly from the front line, nearly right in the middle of the battle where he belonged. Ortega himself had arrived to take him, and it took hours of convincing before the black knight himself would begrudgingly follow the commander to the forest. Thankfully, the battlefield wasn't too far away, and he was sure that Ortega would want to use the amazons to sway the tide of battle as fast as he could.

What bad news of the war Ortega had told the priestess was far worse than what it may had seen. The enemy's forces were boxing in the kingdom, and the city had already begun to loose so much. Many fortresses, farmlands, and even allies had fallen to the strange new foreign military that the enemy had been using. Using war animals and weapons they had never seen before, the kingdom was getting closer and closer to its last legs with every passing day. In a little more than a month, the forest of Floria may also be overrun by the larger enemy force.

But for Haine? He didn't really care- he had a chance to delve into danger, and cut down foes wherever he swung.

"Hopefully this will make a difference." Ortega stated loudly, looking over the proud amazon force with a light smile. "With this, we may even stand a chance."

"Who knows." Haine responded coldly. "Whether we win or lose is no concern to me." Ortega frowned, glancing over at the large knight.

"Is that all you truly live for, Haine?" Ortega asked. "Putting yourself into danger to survive just another day? Don't you even have anything you care for? Anybody?"

"That only makes you weak, Ortega." Haine responded sternly. "And I am NOT weak."

Ortega sighed, reaching his hand up to scratch at the back of his head. "Damnit, Haine. It's been five years, and you still haven't changed. I was hoping that fighting for a kingdom would give you something else to fight for. A true warrior fights to protect something... they fight to preserve all that they love, Haine."

"You're wrong, old man." Haine glared over at the older man with his cold, icy blue eyes. "A true warrior endures. He is strong because he survives, and he lives because he knows he is strong. I don't need such pointless advice from a weak old warrior who desperately tries to protect his weak nation."

"Fine, I get it." Ortega frowned, lightly kicking the sides of his horse to speed it ahead of the large man. "I'll go speak to somebody who understands me." Haine watched the old man break into a light gallop, racing ahead over to the group of amazons. The old man himself stopped right alongside the redheaded amazon, pulling on the reins to slow his steed.

"The knight back there makes for sour company." Ortega stated, smiling at the female warrior. "Would you mind if I ride alongside you through the forest?"

Elegra was busy scanning her people as they rode out, making sure everyone had several weapons, a bag for supplies as well as their metal armor for the battle ahead. When they got closer the women would put on their battle gear as well as war paint. There was only one reason for their war paint, to put beautiful fear into the eyes of every man that looked upon them.

Elegra spoke in her own language to the women that came up to her and asked simple questions, things she didn't know how to answer like when the battle would begin, how many, and what were they up against. This made her uncomfortable but she would wait until the battle was closer to ask questions such as those.

Her attention snapped into reality when the Commanders voice spoke to her side she looked over at him and gave him a slight smile, "I presume not," she chuckled "But you may keep me company, I am far more of a conversationalist than he is." she drew a long breath and looked up at the canopy of trees above her as well as the colorful birds that flew here and there and watched as they went by. The forest was home to many animals but none would be brave enough to come near them. Well, all but one. A small blue bird, swooped and chirped its way down from the tall trees and made its way to Elegra and Elegra alone. Its singsong voice was light and happy as if glad to see her. She smiled and held her hand up to let it land, it did, only for a brief second on her finger and gave a sharp chirp before flying away.

"Tell me, Commander, how long have you fought in wars for your country?" she glanced over at him with a curious twinkle in her eyes, "I'm wondering how a man such as yourself came to have such honor as to be brought into Floria on such a high invitation." her curiosity was pure and she did honestly want to know how he came to be so welcomed into her world that her mother would, without protest, accept to come to their aid.

"Ah," Ortega chuckled, reaching up his hand to stroke gently at his bearded chin. "I guess it isn't well-known knowledge. Although the men receiving the invitation is a high honor, they are usually communicated in secret. Believe it or not, not many high ranking officers in the kingdom have any idea that I received that honor. Well, it was indeed quite a while ago, but after spending a few days back in the city it helped spark some forgotten memories." Ortega smiled, taking a moment to look up at the mighty trees. This would be the second time he left the mighty city... and perhaps even the last. Clearing his throat, Ortega took a quick moment to glance behind him.

Haine was riding far behind in the rear, alongside no one. Although Ortega detested Haine's views and personality, there was something about that man that he couldn't leave alone... at least, for a little bit. Looking back at Elegra, she was indeed promising. She loved her people, she had great leadership qualities, and she was excellent in combat. She didn't mind conversation, and she knew that she needed to fight to protect everything she loved at all costs. If she truly was his daughter... she had indeed grown up perfectly.

"Well," Ortega moved his gaze forward. "I have indeed fought in this long, godforsaken war ever since I joined the military. I was but a boy then, my father a low ranking officer and my mother the daughter of a small noble family. Although I had some status, things weren't given to me, and so I had learned to go out and grab them myself. And it so happened that I had some talent in war."

"I wouldn't say that it was a massive achievement that got me the amazon high honors... it was more like everything starting adding together. I reclaimed stolen territory, routed the enemy, killed a few generals with my own hands... eventually, I was at the spearhead of the kingdom's military, and it was then that I received a letter from Floria, which held her amulet inside. Simply after that, I took some time for leave and I followed the directions into the forest. It's as simple as that." Ortega chuckled, reaching over to rub the neck of his horse.

"Your mother understood that I was unlike the other men that she had brought in... I wasn't there to delve into the pleasures of the flesh. I was there because it was a honor for me to walk and speak among your people. And I was glad to have helped your people in whichever way they needed."

"Now, enough about me." Ortega smiled. "How about you? What is it like to grow up as a child of Floria?"

Elegra listened intently to his tale of his climb to how he got to where he was today. He was full of life as well as a duty to his country, she admired that, for a man anyways he was something to be trifled with. She felt the weight in his words as he spoke as well, knowing that she would follow him into a battle field with full trust.

"I can see why my mother trusts you so." she told him as she watched him smile and divert the attention towards herself. She didn't like to talk about herself much but she would in this circumstance since he shared so much with her. She took a moment before answering, "Well, it is unlike anything that you know of I'm sure. Growing up here was something I will cherish all of my days. You will never know freedom until you have sailed across our river on one of these grand trees leaves. Liza and I made a game of it, who could get the furthest across without letting the river take you." she laughed at the memory, "My mother got so mad at me when I got swept off down the river." she shook her head and smiled softly, "But training was always my favorite thing to do, getting up early to spar, learn how to make weapons out of anything, thinking before you act in battle, as well as knowing how your opponent is going to strike and when. Those years of vigorous training are probably the only thing that stopped Haine's blade from slicing through me so many times, that and our blades are well crafted." she glanced back at the brooding man, "That was probably the best fight I have had in a while though, I'll give him that."

But the smile of memories faded as she thought of her future, "My people say I am to become the next greatest Priestess that they have had right after my mother." she looked up into the trees and then down at her hands holding the reigns, there was nothing special about her in any way. She had no special gifts to give her people, nothing to keep enemies at bay, no great weapon she could use against a foe. She was just one woman, one woman who would have the responsibility of her people on her shoulders one day. "I don't think I'll be that great." she said softly so that only Ortega would be able to hear.

Haine eyed the two figures far in front of him, frowning on top of his horse. So, Ortega was taking a liking to this amazoness? The Black Knight scoffed quietly, crossing his arms with the reins still in hand. Ortega had always had a strange outlook for the amazons, but he seemed a little more interested in this girl. Sure, she was a capable fighter, but that was all Haine found was interesting. Just watching her boiled his blood, his sword arm itching to grab the hilt. Still, he would have to be patient... the fighting would come soon enough.

Ortega heard her whisper quietly, and he lightly placed his hand on top of her shoulder, smiling at her gently. "Don't worry, young amazon. Perhaps you still have yet to discover your true potential... maybe getting out of the city and experiencing this war will help shape you in a way. I know that's how I changed, whether it came from the best or the worst." Ortega lightly drew his hand back from her shoulder, that strange feeling of responsibility creeping up on him again.

"Just stay strong for your people, and you'll find your way." Ortega chuckled. "Hell, maybe somehow you'll help the Black Knight somehow. He definitely needs some direction in life, and someone other than me has to try and show him that there's more out of life than killing and surviving." He said that as a joke, reaching up his hand to scratch the back of his head.

"Anyway, let us move on. We should reach the edge of the forest by sunset, and this war won't wait for us."

The amazon stiffened at the hand on her shoulder but when she glanced over at his smiling face she couldn't help to believe that his words rung true. She smiled back a small dimple on her cheek revealing itself before disappearing as she looked ahead again and at her people. She gained strength from those words spoken with such absolute conviction. Elegra would grow from this experience and become a better person even if that wasn't apparent to her just yet.

At the mention of the Black Knight she glanced behind them to catch him looking at their back sides like they were some sort of horrible creatures that needed to be cut down. She couldn't ever see herself getting through to that man, he hated her and she hated him. And that would be the end of that horrible story.

"Thank you, Ortega." she told him as she straightened and sat up straighter, "No, the war shall not wait for any man or woman." she told him, back to business with a straight face and commanding features. She spoke to her women in a loud voice, telling them of their goal and they responded with quickening their pace moving as one.

And the day wore on, Elegra removing herself from Ortega's side to help her women get their armor off, hopping on and off her horse periodically but Ren never slowed his pace as the women walked and dressed themselves. Their metal corsets, gauntlets, boots, helms and the list went on. Each woman had a unique style of armor depending on their weapon of choice. And Elegra's stood out from the rest, her metal armored corset was set in place and clasped around her torso, covering the important organs, long arm gauntlets covered most of her forearms and bands around her upper arms, metal also covered her shoes all the way up to her outer thigh before ending at where her metal 'skirt' she liked to call it flared out down between her legs and hiked up her hips. This gave the most room for mobility. They ate on the way, sharing bread, cheese, water, and dried meat with the men and one another but did not stop but to let their horses drink from the small creaks. They were on a mission and it was to be done.

As the end of their precious forest ended the Amazons seemed to grow quiet and so did Elegra, they were going to be out of their element soon.

The rest of the journey through the forest had gone pretty uneventful. Haine hung in the far rear for the rest of the trek, away from all the others when they took some time to eat or rest their legs. Multiple thoughts had been clambering about in his head, mostly regarding the amazon warriors and the battles yet to come. Although it wasn't visible to those around, the fact that the kingdom was fighting the war from behind was exciting to him. Being on the losing side was somewhat fun to him, fighting desperate battles and whatnot. If these amazons turned the tide of the war, would it lose its excitement? Or would it only even out the playing field? Still, Haine had told himself that if the kingdom won this war, he would simply leave and move on to find some other war to fight in.

That was his only purpose, anyway.

Strangely, the closer they got to leaving the forest, the quieter the amazons grew. As fit for battle as they may be, most if not all of the amazons had probably never left the city, let alone an army of them. Eager to get out of the trees, Haine kicked his horse into a quick trot, moving farther and farther forward, passing the amazon warriors.

He arrived far at the front, passing both Elegra and Ortega in his efforts to leave quickly. Ortega simply chuckled, shaking his head. "Someone is eager to get out of this place." Ortega smirked. "Don't worry, Black Knight. There is still plenty blood to be spilled, so don't worry." Haine ignored his officer and pressed on, passing the tall and mighty trees that grew thinner and thinner the farther he went.

And then it stopped.

The edge of the mighty forest was met with wide and rolling plains, the huge sky instantly greeting him. Far off into the distance Haine could spot the large, snowy mountains that towered above the horizon. The sun was setting quietly behind them, turning the sky into a beautiful, blazing red. Haine took a deep breath, feeling the wind fill his lungs and whip around his hair. Finally, they were close... he could almost taste the smell of combat flicking through the breeze.

"Well, this is it. We're out of the Forest of Floria." Ortega smiled, looking over at Elegra. "What do you think?"

Elegra watched the Black Knight with narrowed eyes as he passed up her and her women easily. She thought it was funny that he didn't want to stay in her forest longer than he had to, their land wasn't meant for men like him anyways, full of destruction and nothing but rage. Although she had been out of their precious forest several times, most of her women haven't. And she hoped that they would push back the shock of leaving sooner rather than later, they had to be strong . And she knew that they would for her sake and their own.

She watched the trees get smaller and smaller until their simply ended and gave way to the rolling fields of nothing but grasses and mountain ranges. She looked up at the uncovered sky above them, it was drenched with red, almost as intense at her hair. She couldn't help but feel like that was a sign of the goddess that there was to be blood shed but with her leading her people, as brightly as the reddest of sunsets, they would come out victorious and pull through. Or she prayed to the Goddess that they would.

Ortega's voice punctured her thoughts and she glanced over at him from her admiring the sky and frowned slightly, "Exposed..." she told him. She always felt exposed when she left the forest that is why she didn't like to do it most of the time. And looking at her women, most of whom seemed to be hesitant to leave the comfort of the trees, they seemed to feel the same way. But with a pierce of her green eyes Elegra gave them a soft smile and they slowly but surely came out of the trees and into the wind whipping fields.

She watched Haine closely as she spoke in a louder voice over the winds, "You know I can still skin your hide out here just as well as I can at home. Keep that in mind, Knight." she didn't want him forgetting that she was here and was here to stay for the time being as she trotted along past him on her horse to get a better view, one without him in it.

She wondered what it would be like to be atop the cold snowy mountain and look down upon the world. But then again she didn't much care for the cold so she quickly canceled out that plan and looked back at her woman and at all the faces slowly but surely adjusting to their new surroundings.

"This is a strange land to us Commander," she said as she maneuvered Ren back to where Ortega stood, "But we will find our barrings." she told him with a firm nod as if to say that they were ready to move on.

At her taunt, Haine glanced back at her, giving her a very slight grin. "Don't be around me when I fight, amazon. I might cut you down without a single thought." Before, Ortega didn't think much of Haine's words towards the young amazon, simply dismissing them. But after what the priestess had told him that night, Haine's taunts were warming his blood a little. Still, Ortega managed to force himself to brush it off, moving his horse forward to be ahead of the unit. Now that they were out of the forest, Ortega would have to lead them over to his base camp... and he was hoping that it would still be right where he left it.

"My camp is out west, close to a river." Ortega spoke loudly, pointing towards the sun settling down in the horizon. "It's going to be a bit of a ways over, and by the time we get there it will be dark. I just pray that we didn't have an unexpected since I was gone..." Ortega frowned, flicking his reins to send his horse into a much quicker trot, taking the lead of the army of amazons. When they got there, he wouldn't have time to rest- now that they had the amazons, he would be able to strike at what he needed to.

Haine followed after his officer, his black stallion trotting powerfully onto the soft grass beneath. "So, what's the battle plan old man?" The Black Knight asked, coming up to the officer's side. "I'm sure the enemy's forces are already closing in onto the capital. We'll have to find someway to slow them down or push them back."

"Indeed." Ortega answered quietly, furrowing his brow. "I doubt they took a break while we went off recruiting the amazons. They grow closer and closer by the day, and we'll have to get some bearings of where they will be when we get back to camp. Hopefully our scouts haven't been slacking so that we'll have some information. In the meantime, be patient, knight. I'll be sure to throw you in right on the fron tlines. Who knows, maybe you'll die this time..."

Elegra raised her brow at the beast's comment and made a mental note to make it a goal of hers to kill whomever he was after before he even got a chance to raise that sword of his. She also reminded herself that she would have to dodge a very big blade because she knew he wouldn't stop his swing just for her account of butting into his kill. But the amazon decided that annoying the Knight and stealing his kills would be worth the dodging of his blade.

She followed after the Commander at a faster pace now that he explained where his camp was and she gave a signal to her women that they would follow as well and keep their eyes out for any intruders. Her women did as told and followed along, branching out in their formations, it looked like there was no order to their formation but every woman would have someone to watch the others back and so on, while they all watched and took defensive stances on either sides behind the men. While Elegra traveled directly behind the men listening to their words as they were whipped away by the winds.

"How many men will we be gathering with Commander?" she asked him with a serious tone.

Ortega lifted his hand to stroke his beard, thinking quietly to himself. "About three times the number of your amazons. But don't worry, each of your warriors is easily worth five of my men." Ortega chuckled, giving his head a little shake. "But I have to say, I'm a little concerned... although we are aware of the existence of the amazons, the soldiers of the kingdom believe that your skills are all myth and legend. It will take some kind of convincing to make them wary of your skills, and to even respect you all as warriors. In some way or another, you'll have to prove yourselves to them."

Ortega led the small unit, and soon enough the day was fading. It grew darker and darker by the second, the air getting chillier and colder. Soon, numerous lights were spotted in the distance, like little fireflies sitting in the darkness. Smiling Ortega sighed in relief, happy that nothing seemed out of ordinary... it was just like he left it.

"Stay here, Elegra." Ortega stated, looking back at the amazons. "I don't want to suddenly approach them with an entire force of amazons... they've been a bit jumpy lately. Haine, let's go." The Black Knight pulled up his horse, side by side with Ortega as the two men slowly approached the camp.

Elegra only nodded to the response of the numbers and as to proving themselves she knew her women were more than capable of doing that on their own. She would not have to tell her women twice that they were to stand up to the men and to prove their worth, that was the way of the world and their world would be one worth fighting for.

"Believe me Commander, they will have no troubled proving themselves to your men." she stated factually, a couple of the closer women laughing and nodding along with her, some of them even commenting in their own language on how exactly they were going to humiliate the first man that tried to lay a hand on them.

Elegra paid them no mind as she followed on in silence as the sky grew darker. She watched as the stars and moon appeared and lit the unfamiliar lands with a milky glow. She had always loved the moonlight, she often went for a swim in the small inlet back home where the waters pooled under the moonlight.

Her evening day dream came to and end when she too spotted the lights in the distance. "Signal us when you are ready." she told Ortega as she held a hand up to signal to her women to stop and wait. She quietly told the women around her not to do anything rash or provoke the men but not to look weak either. Stay balanced. And her words were passed around to the women in a quiet tone, she didn't want to be yelling at night with a whole flinchy fleet of men only 20 or so yards away and waited.

Haine gave one last glare back at Elegra before him and Ortega started off, their horses side by side as they slowly approached the large camp. The camp had been placed as strategically as it could, placed beside a river for water to drink, bathe, or to use it for transportation. Although they were camped on the hills of the wide, open field, they were able to get a hold of higher ground, their scouts able to see anyone coming from uphill. There were no trees for the enemy to hide in, and if they were try to and sneak up the river there were special guards that were taking shifts to spot them. Overall it was the safest area Ortega could find that was also closest to his enemy and next objective. Any ambushes or acts of sabotage would be ended before they even began.

"Be careful, Ortega." Haine stated, his icy blue eyes peering into the darkness. "They've been a little jumpy lately. Don't give them a reason to fire at us." The two warriors were lightly trotting their horses up a hill, towards the main body of the camp.

"I won't." Ortega responded, glancing over at his large companion. "They're my men, and they're expecting us at this time. Trust me, I-"

"HALT!" A stern, loud voice called from the distance before them. "State your name and business or we shall be forced to-"

"Calm down, Frederick..." Ortega replied loudly, a large smirk forming from his lips. "Is it too dark for you to recognize your own commander?" A loud shrill of voices emerged from the dark, and the sounds of traveling metal clanked in front of them. Soon enough, a small group of armored warriors emerged from the dark, each holding a large smile on their faces.

"Commander Ortega!" One of them cheered happily, rushing to the side of his officer. "You've returned! Are you-"

"Yes." Ortega chuckled. "It was a success."

At his response, the men made no outright cheer. They only shared unsure glances at one another, bags hanging underneath their tired eyes. For them, this was almost a defeat- the war had dragged on and on, with battles being lost one after another. Morale was dropping lower and lower each and every day with deserters leaving in higher and higher numbers as the days passed. For the men, going to the the female fighters was an absolute last resort to fighting this war, and a choice none of them had to make. Ortega could see that each soldier in the small group before him was thinking the same thing...

They were ashamed.

"That's... great." One of the men finally replied. "Are... they down the hill?"

"Yes." Ortega nodded. "Take back your posts. I will be escorting the fine amazon warriors to their place in our camp. Give the other men notice that I have returned with the reinforcements, and to prepare for the battle to come tomorrow." The men all nodded, but not before giving Haine uneasy looks. The Black Knight glanced back, and they all took off sprinting up the hill.

"Something tells me they wish I didn't return..." Haine frowned.

"Like you care." Ortega chuckled before glancing down the hill behind him. "Elegra! Send up your troops! I shall escort you and your warriors into my camp!"

Elegra returned the glare from Haine with a stone one of her own before the men headed off towards the direction of the camp. Her women kept silent, not wanting to cause a fright as the darkness consumed the men.

Her horses ears perked at the sound of yelling and communication in the distance, her women tensed for a moment but hearing nothing more than distance communication it seemed all was going well and as planned. Ren shifted on his hooves as if nervous but she whispered comforting words into the horses ears and patted his neck softly.

She always imagined going to war but she had never expected to be going into war with men she had always envisioned herself against them. This was surly to be different than anything she had ever experienced or will experience. Her women were whispering at the moment, wondering if the men were ready to see them in their battle gear.

Elegra smirked and whispered back to anyone who would listen, "This is probably going to be the most skin these men have seen in all their lives." her words were received with soft laughs of her women but were quickly silenced by the call from Ortega.

She instantly straightened and gave a loud whistle though her teeth and the women instantly started to follow, some hopping off their horses and taking them by the reigns while others preferred to stay on. Elegra was part of the second group, she wanted to tower over the men and look as exotic as possible. She wanted them to see how close they all were to the perfect warrior.

Haine and Ortega came into view, only shadows against the flickering fires that illuminated the camp, and so did the faces of her people, coming into view with faces that looked as if they were carved from stone.

"Escort away Commander." she told him as she came up beside the two men and followed them into the camp. She could tell that there was tension in the air, but she ignored it for now and watched as the campsite came into view and at the men standing and watching them approach.

Holding his breath, Ortega led the army into his camp.

Numerous tents were placed in organized rows and columns all around, pitched up and filled with equipment. Small campfires were burning lightly in front of them, each of them having dozens of soldiers gathering around them. Horses were tied up on pegs, leaning down to chomp slowly at the grass at their feet. The air smelled of oil and sweat, each of the soldiers wearing their set of worn, dirtied armor.

These soldiers weren't a merry bunch, and they didn't look like the prideful, strong warriors that the kingdom made them out to be... they already looked defeated. Heavy bags were hung underneath their eyes, and several soldiers were wrapped up tightly in old, bloodied bandages. Some were staring off into space, holding their bodies as if they were afraid of falling apart. Their weapons were worn and used, with at a glance one could tell that the swords had been dulled. Their armor was dented and scratched, the metal on their shields shredded on the surface. Each men had fought their share of battles, and each one had something taken from them.

At the sight of Ortega, the men's eyes lit up, and they all stood up with small smiles appearing on their faces. But when they spotted the lines of clean, strong female warriors behind him, they instantly frowned, and began whispering among themselves. Each of them stared blankly at the women warriors, gazing in astonishment at the amount of skin they were seeing. It had been a long time since they had seen a woman, and to suddenly seen a numerous amount of beautiful women was overwhelming.

"Just pay them no heed." Ortega stated, smiling sadly at each men. "Keep in mind that they have fought many battles, and that their hearts have been taxed by the war. Please, do not think lowly of them... they each have fought all they could."

"Commander Ortega." A voice called from the side. "I see that you've.... arrived." Stopping his horse, Ortega turned to face one of the more clean soldiers under his command. The special insignia on his armor signified that he was an officer. He appeared to be in his mid thirties, his black hair cropped short atop his head. He peered over at the amazons, giving them each a sly smile.

"The men were wondering when the eye candy would arrive." He chuckled. "We needed something to... boost morale." With that, he caught Haine's eye, and didn't hesitate to glare hard at the black knight. Blinking, he caught sight of the cut on the larger man's cheek, and the officer grinned.

"Oh, did one of the little ladies manage to hit you?" He grinned. "Hopefully, someone will be able to take off your head, you-"

"Enough, Lieutenant Vorkus." Ortega sighed, running his hand through his hair. "Elegra, tell your amazons that down this path we have set up some empty tents for you and your soldiers. I'd like you and some of your officers to accompany me to my base of operations... we have a battle plan that I'd like to discuss with you as soon as possible." Ortega dropped down from his horse, handing the reins to one of his soldiers. Haine did the same, his heavy boots plopping roughly onto the earth.

Elegra watched with a face that of stone as the scene unfolded before her. The men watching them weighed heavily upon her skin, but this wasn't something that she wasn't used to. Either way the idea of all these battle weather men looking at her women like that caused her skin to itch with irritation. But as long as they were only looking she would not be keen to commenting or doing anything about it.

She wanted to tell Ortega that her women had supplies, she could help sharpen the men's weapons as well as bandage their wounds and use the salves that they brought with them but she held her tongue for now. Only barely hearing his words about not to mind them.

As what looked like a higher ranking man stepped into the line of view and continued to comment about how her people would 'boost morale' as well as call them 'eye candy'. She instantly disliked this man, he was a fox that was not to have around because he would only go into the coop while no one was looking as ruffle feathers before leaving and pretending like nothing happened.

But his next words irritated her to no end, why would the Lieutenant be taunting the best warrior that they had? It made no scene to her and if Ortega hadn't stopped the fox of a man she would have had to do it, and she didn't feel like punching the man in the face on the first night was the best idea, but she would do what had to be done.

"I will make sure they are settled in and meet you back here." she nodded and eyed the black knight, wondering why his people weren't more enthusiastic about his return before turning her head forward and holding up her hand signalling where they were headed and they started to move.

Her women moved with sleek grace as they headed towards the empty tents. Elegra stayed in place as her women passed her before she followed after them giving Haine one last cold glace, one with question in her gold eyes, as she tried to figure it out before urging her horse forward and heading to the tents.

Elegra slid off her horse with ease and instructed her women to water the horses as well as eat something before they headed in for the night.

"What about the men Elegra?" asked one women.

"Did you see them? They need our help, even if they are men we are going to be battling beside them." said another warrior to her right.

"I know. I will talk to the commander tonight. Find Jade and Daphne for me, we will be going to the commanders tent to discuss the battle." she said in a commanding voice as the women hurried to find the two other leading women. As she waited for her own officers she brushed Ren's neck and unloaded his back claiming a tent as her own, she would share if necessary but she did like having her own space.

Her two officers walked up with heads held high, they were both beautiful in their own ways. Jade had ice blonde hair braided down her back with bright blue eyes and skin that of milk with a shockingly red lipstick on, often saying she liked her lips to resemble that of blood. While Daphne had a dark tanned skin and black hair cut to her shoulders in wild waves as well as eyes that most would consider black. But no matter their looks they were both the best strategists she had ever known and had grown up with. She often missed Liza on missions such as this but since she was the guardian she would never leave the forest.

"Ladies, lets go." she told them both a wild smile, "Nothing crazy. You hear me?" she asked and they both laughed and nodded, "Nothing like the battle with the savages." she said with her own laugh as a private joke was shared between the three of them.

They walked back into the man's camp at a steady pace, her officers on either side of Elegra and they headed to the heart of the camp figuring that was where the base would be.

Haine frowned, taking a quick glance around the camp. The soldiers looked as tired and helpless as ever, their weariness giving the camp a gloomy aura. The soldiers all whispered to each other, their eyes shifting from amazon to amazon. Some looked intimidated, while others gave out small smiles. Some hope had been restored, but it wasn't much... these men were too tired to look forward to the future. As nice as it was to have reinforcements, they had lost too much to rekindle their fighting spirit. It wasn't like Haine cared... he was fighting for the weaker side.

It was much more fun that way.

Turning, he stepped over to the heart of the camp, frowning when he caught sight of Elegra and her two officers. There was no doubt most of the attention was on them, with a few on him. Those who caught sight of Haine quickly looked away or scowled, their hands gripping their swords tightly. Ever since he had joined the ranks, their reactions had been the same- to be the black knight of the kingdom didn't come with awe or honorable recognition as it did to the other elite warriors of the king.

It only came with fear.

Although most of the soldiers were happy enough to give Elegra and her officer a small glance, there was some whistling and cat-calling coming in from the side. "Right here, baby!" Someone called from the side. "Take off the rest of that armor! You aren't wearing much anyway!" Light snickers came from some of the soldiers, while some only wanted to back away.

"Quiet." Haine growled, his low voice ceasing their calls. "What are you, cattle?" Haine was answered with only silence and glares, the men finally deciding to back off for now.

Up ahead stood Ortega's base of operations: a large tent that sat in the middle of the camp. A bright light flickered from the inside, and they could pick out a few shadows of the people from within. When they entered, they were greeted with a small handful of officers dressed in their armor, up to their necks, their tattered cloaks hanging loosely behind them. In the center of the tent sat a large table with a map plastered on top of it. Ortega stood in the middle of the officers, pointing and speaking to them rather urgently.

Elegra put hands on either woman beside her forcing them to stop, her grip tightening as she saw Daphne opening her mouth for a retort but she quickly corrected herself and looked straight ahead towards the tent while she heard Jade mumble something about cutting off anything that protruded from their bodies if they got close enough.

"We only strike when they do first, remember that." she told them both with glaring green eyes as she faintly heard that dark brooding voice of Haine behind them. She glanced behind her at the dark clad knight and arched a brow in curiosity but decided not to comment as they entered the tent.

There was urgent voices, some even raised now and again, but for the most part the men inside the tent were surrounding Ortega and the map placed before them. All eyes seemed to shift towards the women but Elegra didn't let it bother her as she headed to the edge of the table and started to evaluate the map.

"Evening men." she greeted them without looking up from the detailed design before her, "These are my officers, Daphne and Jade," she gestured to them both in turn, "You may call me Elegra." she said as she looked up and around at each of the men with the light in the tent causing her eyes to become more gold than green.

The initial greeting from the officers was much to be desired. A few of them glanced at each other and then back to her, watching her quizzically. The one from earlier, Vorkus, stood by, giving them an uncomfortable smile. The officers looked like the soldiers did on the outside; they were weary, their exhaustion plain on their faces and body posture. Their decorated armor was now covered with chinks and dents, their facial hair becoming overgrown.

"Welcome, Elegra." Ortega greeted, standing up straight. "I... apologize for the lack of kindness you may have experienced. My men are tired, and still skeptical of the skills of your army." Ortega gave Vorkus a small glance before walking over around the table, coming face to face with her officers.

"Daphe and Jade, was it?" Ortega respectfully shook hands with the both of them, giving them a slight bow of the head and a smile. "I'm delighted to meet the both of you." Ortega made his way over to the large map that sat in front of them, waving the amazons over. Haine stood near the back, guarding the entrance of the tent with a frown on his face. Ortega was acting much differently around this redheaded amazon now... he was giving her too much respect for a soldier. What was going on with him?

"Okay." Ortega nodded, leaning down onto the table. "To bring you into the knowing, our armies have been pushed back constantly, and now we find ourselves to the back of the river here." He tapped on a certain point onto the map, next to the marked river. "We're actually far from the main force, and we've lately been engaging in small skirmishes and sabotages. But finally, with the amazons here, we may be able to retake a small town not too far from here." Ortega tapped a small marking on the map, not too far from their current position.

"The town has walls, but they are wood, and far from the sturdy walls of a castle." Ortega informed, reaching a hand up to stroke his beard. "However, the enemy have archers posted high on the walls, and all their soldiers are perched outside of the town. We were outnumbered, but now that we have the military of the amazons on our side, we may be able to match them in strength. I'm thinking that perhaps we could have a surprise attack around noon... their guard is lax, and they wouldn't expect us in broad daylight."

Ortega stood straight up, eyeing the three amazons before him. "Do you have any questions, or would you like me to continue?"

"We did not come here for kindness Commander, only to aid even if unwelcome." Elegra looked at the men with an almost cold glare, "We lay claim to the land just as much as any of you, but when threatened we will always come to protect that which even is not ours."

And with that both her officers in turn took Ortega's hand not as willingly as Elegra would have liked but she didn't miss that glance that they passed back and forth from one another realizing that the Commander was a respected man even by their leader.

Jade took her stance on one side of Ortega while Elegra and Daphne were on the other looking over the map with him, but her officers paid more attention to the looks they were receiving on their bared skin and returning them with glares of their own. Her officers were not used to being at the center of attention when not on the battle field.

Elegra listened to his plan intently and nodded along with him, "I have archers that can take out any of theirs swiftly even before our foot soldiers attack. A few of my more talented archers can string two or even three arrows at a time with deadly accuracy. One of whom is in the room. Jade, you will take care of informing the others." she nodded to her officer and she responded with a tight lipped nod.

The red haired amazon glanced up at Ortega, "My women are used to working in pairs, they can be dispersed along with your men or as a complete line of attack. I'll leave that to your preference."

She glanced up at her women, she knew the question that was itching at the edges of their minds, but she would ask that at a later time. They would only offer their help when the men when they would actually accept it and at the moment she didn't think that any of the brutes out there would allow an amazon woman to touch them or fix their blades.

Her eyes shifted from her people to Haine standing at the doorway, and arched her brow as if asking him why he was glaring in her particular direction.

"Two or three arrows at a time with deadly accuracy?" Vorkus mocked away from the table, frowning at the three women. "I've never heard such bullshit in my life." Vorkus crossed his arms, cocking his head and giving Ortega a doubtful look. "Commander, you honestly don't believe these amazons? A woman can hardly pull back a bowstring, let alone let an arrow fly. Sir, aren't you a little too trusting? I've seen many things on the battlefield, but this is just utter nonsense." The other officers glanced to one another, silently nodding their heads. They weren't just going to outright believe that a band of warrior women could win a battle that they could not.. it just didn't seem likely. The tales of the amazons seemed all just like tales to them.

"Vorkus, I understand your doubts." Ortega answered, turning to face his officers. "But you must understand-"

"With all due respect Commander, what is there to understand?" Vorkus frowned, glaring over at the redhead. "First of all, there aren't that many of them, we're fighting an uphill battle, the enemy has much better resources than we do, and overall these amazons are nothing but eye-candy clad in armor. If anything, they could probably help raise morale in more ways then one."

As much as Ortega hated it, Vorkus was right about a few things. Ortega build his army on trust and respect, and the amazons had neither from his main force. Although the amazons were indeed formidable, they couldn't win this war on their own, and he would need to build bridges between the two in order to be successful. Ortega sighed, running his hands through his hair... this was going to be a tough one to decide.

"Vorkus, you must give the amazons a chance." Ortega stated, looking over at Elegra. "If they say they can take out the enemy archers with ease, give them a shot. After that, we can rush to the walls of the city, take out the enemy encampment surrounding it, and drive our forces inside to take back the town."

"Elegra," Ortega quickly addressed the amazon. "I wish for you to prove yourself to my men. And in doing so, you will place yourself and your soldiers in danger... I'll need you to take the front lines for this fight. If you're confident that you can win this battle, I'm sure this should be nothing for you."

Back
Top Bottom