Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The One That Got Away (DrgnLady + desertpaladin)

She had been tracking him for weeks now. Angel had followed him everywhere, questioned-and killed-numerous people, all in preparation for this day. Finally, she had predicted his next stop-and this time she would not miss him. Boss didn't like when she misread targets...the scars along her back and arms and legs were reminders to her. She could not fail. She could not dawdle...Angel had to be swift and precise if she wanted to live. She was always unseen, blending in perfectly with the shadows of the night...or the shadows of a dimly lit room. Doors were no barrier to Angel, even when they were locked. This had earned Angel the nickname Death's Shadow.

Down below in the alleyway, her guardian stood, waiting patiently for her signal. They bonded when he was just a young pup, after Angel had rescued him...before she began to work for Boss. He had thought it was a bad idea, but he was her Guardian and vowed to protect her no matter what path she took. They worked flawlessly together, predicting each others moves and working together to take down targets that were a little more stubborn.

Angel looked to the sky. It was almost time...She loosened the daggers in their holsters-one in her boot, the other at her right hip. At her left hip was a long, thin bladed sword, strong enough to hack through armor made of the toughest material but just thin enough to slip through ribs and pierce the heart. She loosened that as well and crouched down, invisible to all that passed by...waiting.

Then from down the dirt path a long figure moved forward. He had pretty bad posture it seemed... He looked dirt poor wearing only a simple brown Yukata, some wooden sandals and a straw hat that covered his head since he had his head down. But the one thing that stuck out was the fact that across the sash aorund his midrift a katana was there. The outside seemed rather dinged up and worn... almost like it had not been wielded in some time.

He kept moving up the road until he looked up seeing something that seemed almost invisible.... The two of them. It was impossable for him to see them sure but his posture changed from old and feeble looking to that of a veteran warrior. He placed a hand on his katana and he just smiled. His eyes not able to be seen but his black hair that was tied into a ponytail was showing.

He did not look toward either her nor her pet, but still down the road as he said 'You can show yourself... You have chased me this far I guess you wish to battle then" he did not draw his weapon but just stood there, unmoving. Only the wind moved his clothing and his hair a little. But other than that. He showed no signs of fighting.

The wind was suddenly still. He would see the wolf appear slowly from the shadows, his silver-gray fur gleaming in the pale light. Asha growled and stepped closer to him. Once he was just a few steps away, Angel disappeared from her spot on the roof, reappearing behind him. She whispered soft in his ear, her dagger at his throat. "Boss said to tell you 'Hi.' "

He just nodded "I see..." he said as he did not draw his blade "I take it he sent you to kill me... huh... I knew he would react violently but... to send only his second best" he did not look at her "Oh you thought you were the best... yeah... that had been me" he said "Though then again you don't care... so let's start this" he said as he suddenly vanished into thin air. Then there were a few sounds, her companion well to the ground, knocked out and he reappeared before her "Don't worry, he is just out cold..." he said but then another of him appeared, and another, and another... soon she was surrounded...

Angel tensed, dropping the dagger and drawing her sword. She was not ready to give in, and what he had done to her companion only angered her. She took a slow deep breath and closed her eyes, trying to find the one that was real and not an image-she had fought against targets with a similar power before and it usually didn't take her very long to pick out the real one.

But each appeared as an original. Oddly enough there was one that appeared as a fake, slowly they were shown as fakes but the first fake she had found lunged at her... Now it was thought to be a shadow image, it could do nothing. But as it swung his sword that still was in the shieth down to strike her it actually hit, all the others vanished and he had her pinned. his foot on ehr stomach and his sword at her neck. He had never even pulled the blade out... and he had beaten her.

Angel grinned as she found the oddball, but as all the others proved to be fake she tensed, opening her eyes just in time to see him lunge. She brought her sword up fast, but he was faster. Before she could blink Angel found herself pinned down, struggling to get free. Her sword had been knocked out of her hand and landed with a clatter several steps away.

"Now... either you leave me alone and let me be... or I have to kill you" he said as he pulled the blade out and he looked down at her "Which is your choice?" he asked as he looked down at her. For the first time she could see his eyes... he had only one good one. One was pure green, like the forest... while the other was silver, dull... he was clearly blind in that eye.

Angel slowly closed her sapphire eyes and quit struggling. "Kill me." She opened her eyes and looked up into his. Hers were suddenly dull, all the fire gone from them. "If you don't he will..."

He nodded and he plundges the sword down but it only landed on the ground next to her. He moved off of her and he put his blade away "Well it looks like you are in the same boat as me then" he said looking over his shoulder at her and he said "How about you get up, I will help your pet and we can discuss some things over tea"

Angel sat up slowly, frowning, looking at him. "Why didn't you kill me...? I failed..." She stood and headed quickly over to her Guardian, her fingers buried in his fur. Angel mumbled softly, healing any wounds he had obtained and waking him.

He shook his head "That is not failure... failure is when you see the truth..." he said as he moved over to her and her guardian as he said "Please come with me, we shall discuss everything over tea... I mean you cannot return to him anyway"

The wolf growled as he woke, moving so his body was between Angel and the man. She looked down into the wolf's silver eyes for a second and then to the man. "We will go with you..."

Giving a small nod he began to walk. He did not even bother to look back at her. He seemed to trust her that she would not attack him as the two headed to the village he was heading to and he smiled as he got them a table at a small tea house and they sat down on the floor pillows as the tea pot was brought before them and they were each poured their first glass of tea. He took his and he began to gently sip at it. it was very hot.

Angel sat quietly, staring at the hot cup of tea. Asha was sitting right beside her, sitting up straight, never taking those strange eyes off of the man, watching his every move. Angel did not touch the cup-she just sat quietly, looking down at it.

"You know the tea won't bite" he said softly as he smiled at her "Please drink, relax..." he said as he placed his cup down and he began to pur himself a second glass from the tea pot.

Angel glanced at him, then took a small sip of the tea before quickly setting the cup back down. She had burnt her tongue but said nothing-the pain of it barely phased her at all. Angel's hood had fallen down earlier, but she was more visible in the light. Her skin was pale but fair-the result of hunting in the shadows and spending most of her days hidden. Her hair was short and black-darker than the night sky when the moon was invisible.

He nodded and he looked at her "So do you feel like listening to what I have to say now?" he asked "Toward him?" he watched her for a responce. She was a quiet one, then again he was too.

Angel and her companion locked eyes for a moment. Nothing was said out loud, but it seemed like they were still communicating somehow. After a second she looked at him and nodded, remaining silent. She quickly took another sip of the hot tea.

"Nice to know he still knows how to break in his tools of war" he said as he sipped down this glass and he sighed as he looked at her "You know you can speak... it is not like I will slice out your tongue"

"Why do you refuse to kill me?" Her voice sounded less icy than it had been earlier, with the faintest hint of confusion. She had been against many other targets who were not nearly as skilled as he was, and none of them would have hesitated to kill her if she slipped up. Those sapphire eyes locked on to him, waiting patiently for an answer.

He smiled "Because I figured i could enlighten you" he said as he sat a bit streighter and he leaned forward toward her "Tell me... out of the souls you killed did you ever ask what they did to deserve death? What did he tell you they did? Were most men just regular people? Most not even worth the dirt under your boot right?" he asked her

She glared at him. "I never questioned my superior. I did what I was told and I did it right. Boss had his own reasons on why each man was a target and that was never any of my business. I just killed who he told me to kill." Angel was a stubborn one-it was going to take a little more to break her.

"Well you will wish you had questioned..." he said "You see Boss is no shogun, he is a crime lord" he looked at her "He tricks people, he gave you power, lots of it... the people you killed are those who have tried to bring boss to justice or are those he wishes to be gotten rid of... most if not all are innocent lives trying to stop evil"

Angel shook her head quickly. "No. Boss is....is one of the good guys...those men...they were all bad....all...drug lords...and criminals...gamblers..." The iciness was quickly leaving her voice. She frowned a little, clearly confused. Shaking her head again she looked away from him and at her Guardian, then back at him again. She didn't want to believe him.

Back
Top Bottom