Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Roleplay *Story* Length

Outside-the-Box Jellyfish

Banned
Banished
Here's a topic I don't see discussed much, especially in freeform circles.

How long do like your roleplays to go on for?

A lot of time I see people post ideas for storylines, but very rarely do they seem to have a specific goal to shoot for.

In tabletop gaming, it's more usual to see people playing a specific module or campaign, or otherwise specifying a "sandbox" game that they intend to go until it peters out on its own.

Freeform RPs, I rarely see such specifications.
Is it something you ever try to work out with your partners? Like, "this is going to last one scene" or "this is the events of a single week" or "the story ends when our characters make it to the end of the yellow brick road and meet the wizard".

To me, I think the idea of seeking roleplays would be a lot less daunting if I knew there was a specific end point to aim for, rather than assuming things would just go on forever. I'm sure there are stories, setting, characters, and players I really could go on forever with, but that seems like a rare occurrence and it makes me tentative to engage potential roleplays.

Thoughts?

I don't have a time period in mind, but before starting I do prefer to have a 'end goal', as that gives me something to focus on. However, that end goal can change, or the story can shoot off in completely unexpected directions as it progresses, and when that happens, and/or there's no longer a defined goal or purpose, I tend to set shorter-term ones in my own head for my character, and write to those. That sometimes creates a struggle in trying to get the balance right between "how much should of that should be revealed to my partner, and discussed/planned in advance; doesn't that take away some of the element of unpredictability for them?," and "I want to throw in surprises, but don't want to seen to be taking over the story".

I had one which had been going on for around eleven months, and thought would last forever as my partner and I had discussed all types of future possibilities, however after completing one particular scene, and without even having contemplated it prior, we were both like. "Damn, you know, that would make the perfect ending." So that's what we did, and started another.

There's two I'm currently writing, which have the potential to last for years, and another that's working its way towards a grand finale, due to the scenario being set up that way. In summary, no particular desired time-frame, but as long as the characters in the story continue to have a purpose, and something to strive for, or a natural finishing point is reached.

A lot also depends on posting rates and the like, as to how long the story will last. If you can post every day, you'll be able to plow through a lot more plot possibilities in a shorter time, than if you're posting once a week, or month.

Mr Quixotic said:
I don't have a time period in mind, but before starting I do prefer to have a 'end goal', as that gives me something to focus on. However, that end goal can change, or the story can shoot off in completely unexpected directions as it progresses, and when that happens, and/or there's no longer a defined goal or purpose, I tend to set shorter-term ones in my own head for my character, and write to those. That sometimes creates a struggle in trying to get the balance right between "how much should of that should be revealed to my partner, and discussed/planned in advance; doesn't that take away some of the element of unpredictability for them?," and "I want to throw in surprises, but don't want to seen to be taking over the story".

Pretty much this, very aptly put. I like to have some unpredictability, keep some surprises to amuse and astound my partner as I can, or bring in new elements as the story develops to keep things moving along. Often the idea itself only leans towards one particular end, or thread along which you can decide that "yes, this will be enough."

It also depends on interest, there have been a few times when things looked like they were going well then suddenly interest seems to have peaked and gone in a different direction.

Personally I like longer running rp's and looked to get a bit done over a long period of time, but unlike running a campaign there isn't a time box around it, just the goal and that can also be affected by post rates. Real life intrudes and often that means you can slow down some, so the pace can pick up and get you there quicker, or slow and take more time to get towards a finish.

I'm of the same mind as Quix here. Usually when I have an idea, it's a general plot where I have a very set beginning or start off with a generalized backdrop that both myself and my writing partner can add to in order to help flesh it out and make it 'ours'. Then, I like to have a basic goal to head towards (typically, if the idea is my own, I'll present the scenario, but I'll take suggestions and/or add to it, etc etc with my writing partner...not to mention whenever I present ideas to someone, I always listen to what they have to offer on my ideas because a big thing for me is that we make it 'ours'), but how we get there can be a twisting path of 'who knows what'. And, if things happen that might cause us to deviate from the original plan...that's ok, so long as both of us are in agreement about it. As for how many posts that might take? Who knows as I don't really focus on that. If it takes around 100 or a couple hundred...fine. Like post length, it's not what's on my mind. What IS on my mind are the elements of the story itself--the characters, the background and history of the world, what's going on at the time of the story, those sorts of things. So, that's how I approach setting up RPs in general.

Interesting. I never really thought about this topic, actually.

I've been roleplaying for just about 10 years now, and there's rarely ever been a goal to any of my roleplays.
When it's a smut RP, the goal is just that, two characters will be having smutty, fetish-filled sex with one another. That was the general goal.

But in my plot-driven roleplays, there was and is very rarely a set goal. The goal is simply, pair these two characters together and see what happens (usually with the idea that they will become romantically involved). However, it heavily depends on the genre of the roleplay. For example, if the roleplay is post-apocalyptic, the goal will be related to that period (survive, get resources, kill off something, save the world, etc.). Another example, if the roleplay is historical, like based during WWII - the goal is often to stop a villain, or to succeed in a mission.

In terms of when the roleplay is going to end - never/ whenever? It's never been discussed. I don't go into roleplays with an expiration date. It's always been more general - the roleplay ends when it ends. Usually, when someone gets bored or the story just fizzles out! Although, I try not to let stories dull out by incorporating plot twists, action, adventure, drama, etc. So, for that reason, I've had roleplays that have gone on for months, even years.

It's something I think about recently because, if I'm not sure I want to go longterm with a certain story or partner, I at least want to provide a resolution so they don't feel totally gypped if I feel like stopping.
So establishing a vague story goal from the get-go can help me with that.

Well I have one that I started on 5/13/14 and 562 pages later according to mircosoft word. The rp is still going strong because we (myself and writing partner) are constantly bouncing ideas off each other, which I think is the reason for its longevity , but what the hell do I know. With me I don't really care about the length, I am of the mind set, my job as a writer is I am writing to improve and as such I do it with a partner. If my partner is enjoying himself and happy with the story, to me at least I am a happy camper. I really don't have a set out length, but some not all my story ideas have a way I want them to go. If the story goes that far great, if not I am just happy that I got to write the story, then try it again, that is if the other writer decides to leave.

To be fair I have no idea if that rant answer, but that is how I feel.

Back
Top Bottom