Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

When RPers harass you for a reply

Agreed. There's a lack of boundaries, perspective, and self-esteem in a lot of the rping community. It is a creative pursuit and I do not personally feel that it is healthy to put so much weight upon escapism that you dehumanize other people in order to get it. There has to be a balance. At the very least, if you're introverted, if you like solitary pursuits, if you don't "have a social life" as others define, then it needs to be tempered with the acknowledgement that other people are individuals with different needs and desires than yourself.

It'd be interesting to know what other people's waiting periods are, when they feel it's "too soon" to send a message inquiring about a post they're waiting on. How long should you wait? How many messages can you send within a certain time period?

Sometimes the way it's phrased and the tone is important as well. I get really irritated when someone gets uppity and entitled, like I "owe" them money or something. Sometimes people can wait a really long time to return to a plot.

Personally, when we start posting, if there is more than 2 weeks gap between posts, I end the rp, or consider it dead. I do not like to reread over the rp as it slows down the process. I'll reread the two posts before the current one I'm typing up. That's it. So, if 2 weeks pass by with no reply, it doesn't matter if the partner comes back later. I've forgotten the details and the energy of it is lost. That being said, 3 days, if the rp is consistent and I have a good relationship with my partner, 3 days is when I send a message inquiring about the post. I do not hound people and if we're starting something and you don't reply to the OP, then I consider you gone in the wind. I'm not going to chase after you. If it's not important, then it's not important. No need to beg you to give me attention. It is so much easier to let it go and move on at that point.

Rudolph Quin said:
Agreed. There's a lack of boundaries, perspective, and self-esteem in a lot of the rping community. It is a creative pursuit and I do not personally feel that it is healthy to put so much weight upon escapism that you dehumanize other people in order to get it. There has to be a balance. At the very least, if you're introverted, if you like solitary pursuits, if you don't "have a social life" as others define, then it needs to be tempered with the acknowledgement that other people are individuals with different needs and desires than yourself.

It'd be interesting to know what other people's waiting periods are, when they feel it's "too soon" to send a message inquiring about a post they're waiting on. How long should you wait? How many messages can you send within a certain time period?

Sometimes the way it's phrased and the tone is important as well. I get really irritated when someone gets uppity and entitled, like I "owe" them money or something. Sometimes people can wait a really long time to return to a plot.

Personally, when we start posting, if there is more than 2 weeks gap between posts, I end the rp, or consider it dead. I do not like to reread over the rp as it slows down the process. I'll reread the two posts before the current one I'm typing up. That's it. So, if 2 weeks pass by with no reply, it doesn't matter if the partner comes back later. I've forgotten the details and the energy of it is lost. That being said, 3 days, if the rp is consistent and I have a good relationship with my partner, 3 days is when I send a message inquiring about the post. I do not hound people and if we're starting something and you don't reply to the OP, then I consider you gone in the wind. I'm not going to chase after you. If it's not important, then it's not important. No need to beg you to give me attention. It is so much easier to let it go and move on at that point.

I agree with most of what you said.
Especially on BlueMoon, a lot of roleplayers have a significant amount of free time on their hands, and I often get the whole "entitled" attitude when it comes to replies.

However, I am terrible busy IRL. I admit, I have very little time for roleplaying, but that doesn't mean I enjoy it any less. It is not uncommon for me to only be able to reply every few days. That being said/known, I also post "PATIENCE" as a requirement for my RP searches/ request thread, and I do elaborate by letting partners (those who ready my intro, anyways) know that I am not available to respond daily. Most people who seek out a roleplay have read these terms and do not mind waiting.

I am guilty of making my partners wait days for response.
SORRYNOTSORRY. Well, I'm a little sorry.
But between working full time and full time studies, plus an active social life - you can only imagine how little time I actually get to myself. Excuse aside, I am guilty.

GUILTY.

PS. I never even message someone.

If they don't respond, I don't message.
It's done.
RPs dead.
It's cool.
I'll move on.

*UNLESS* It was really kick-ass, then I might message.
But 99% of the time, I don't.

Temptationist said:
But between working full time and full time studies, plus an active social life - you can only imagine how little time I actually get to myself. Excuse aside, I am guilty.

GUILTY.

It's done.
RPs dead.
It's cool.
I'll move on.

Oh, I wasn't trying to set myself up as the standard. I presented some questions and figured I'd answer with my own personal perspective. Everyone will have different needs when it comes to schedules and time frames for posting. Like I said, I know several great rpers who are willing to wait months for a new reply from their partner.

Even with that being said, with our two different perspectives and needs when it comes to how we rp and want to rp, I think the expectation for manners and dignity should be the same. Someone sending a message hours after they posted asking where their reply is, is like a landlord demanding rent, or a passive-aggressive and insecure twat trying to niggle some sort of compliment out of you to make sure you're still "okay" with the rp. This isn't acceptable behavior no matter what your personal rp needs are.

So, based on your personal schedule and social activities, when is an appropriate time for someone to come knocking on your door? Or should they not do that at all? How much "patience" should they have, as a time figure? Just curious on your personal perspective on that. In regards to you saying "harass" we're talking about people jumping the gun on a general time schedule that can be recognized and accepted by everyone(anywhere from an hour to a full 24, depending on the last time a person messaged them and talked to them; if you just talked to the person 12 hours ago and they told you they were going to bed and had to work the next day, you need to check yourself before jumping to inquire "hey, are you going to post?"). And being generally toxic with their inquiry and approach. Toxicity can range from anything as simple as being rude to being insecure and needing constant validation and reassurance. While I'm thinking of ideas for my post and forming it in my head, I don't want to get a message from you in the middle of that process asking if the post was okay, if I need you to change anything, or offering to edit because "it's terrible". Shut the hell up, please, I'm working on a reply and you need to tone down the desperation, scary.

I don't think I've ever had anyone hassle me for a reply. I try to make it quite clear that I prefer slower paced roleplays, as I focus so intensely on each of my posts, that I need a 'mental break' before I can turn my mind to that particular story again. If a response comes back immediately, I'm like "damn, I just spent two days finishing that reply, now I have to turn around and do it all over again", and that 'stress' (for want of a better word) takes some of the enjoyment out of it. I may be one of the few who actually requests partners not post too fast, or has dropped a roleplay because replies constantly came too quick!

Three to four days between posts, from either side, works perfectly, however as long as there's some OoC communication outside of the story, and I know what's happening, I'm more than happy to wait as long as it takes. So, for me, it's not so much about 'the knocking at the door' for a reply, but just being kept in the loop. I'll generally leave it a week until I send a 'hey, what's up' message, if I haven't heard from them, and that's only if I've seen they've been online. If not, I don't see the point of filling up their inbox.

Rudolph Quin said:
Temptationist said:

GUILTY.

It's done.
RPs dead.
It's cool.
I'll move on.

Oh, I wasn't trying to set myself up as the standard. I presented some questions and figured I'd answer with my own personal perspective. Everyone will have different needs when it comes to schedules and time frames for posting. Like I said, I know several great rpers who are willing to wait months for a new reply from their partner.

Even with that being said, with our two different perspectives and needs when it comes to how we rp and want to rp, I think the expectation for manners and dignity should be the same. Someone sending a message hours after they posted asking where their reply is, is like a landlord demanding rent, or a passive-aggressive and insecure twat trying to niggle some sort of compliment out of you to make sure you're still "okay" with the rp. This isn't acceptable behavior no matter what your personal rp needs are.

So, based on your personal schedule and social activities, when is an appropriate time for someone to come knocking on your door? Or should they not do that at all? How much "patience" should they have, as a time figure? Just curious on your personal perspective on that. In regards to you saying "harass" we're talking about people jumping the gun on a general time schedule that can be recognized and accepted by everyone(anywhere from an hour to a full 24, depending on the last time a person messaged them and talked to them; if you just talked to the person 12 hours ago and they told you they were going to bed and had to work the next day, you need to check yourself before jumping to inquire "hey, are you going to post?"). And being generally toxic with their inquiry and approach. Toxicity can range from anything as simple as being rude to being insecure and needing constant validation and reassurance. While I'm thinking of ideas for my post and forming it in my head, I don't want to get a message from you in the middle of that process asking if the post was okay, if I need you to change anything, or offering to edit because "it's terrible". Shut the hell up, please, I'm working on a reply and you need to tone down the desperation, scary.

I usually dislike receiving any sort of message before 3 days, and even then, it still gets on my nerves. Personally, I don't like receiving any message at all unless I haven't replied in over a week. To me, receiving a message is like a complaint (even though it may not necessarily be delivered that way). In the end, you sent me a message because a part of my style dissatisfies you, and that's the consistency of my posts. And this is not because I'm insecure, it's more of an annoyance that I warn people in advance not to expect constant replies, so when I receive a message it's like all of that work and communication went in the trash, and that the expectations have changed.

I have definitely dropped roleplays for partners sending me a "hey when will you be replying" message. Turn off. Major pet peeve of mine.

But I'm harsh, and I know that. I'm working on it!

Although when I'm referring to "harass" I'm talking about 3+ messages probing for a response. My response is usually "GET OFF MY DICK, MAN"! (ok so I don't have a penis, but you catch my drift). The worst is when I don't answer the probe message, so they just keep sending me more and more. Pls. Don do eet.

Mr Quixotic said:
I don't think I've ever had anyone hassle me for a reply. I try to make it quite clear from the start that I prefer slower paced roleplays, as I focus so intensely on each of my posts, that I need a 'mental break' before I can turn my mind to that particular story again. If a response comes back immediately, I'm like "damn, I just spent two days finishing that reply, now I have to turn around and do it all over again", and that 'stress' (for want of a better word) takes some of the enjoyment out of it. I may be one of the few who actually requests partners not post too fast, or has dropped a roleplay because replies constantly came too quick!

Three to four days between posts, from either side, works perfectly, however as long as there's some OoC communication outside of the story, and I know what's happening, I'm more than happy to wait as long as it takes. So, for me, it's not so much about 'the knocking at the door' for a reply, but just being kept in the loop. I'll generally leave it a week until I send a 'hey, what's up' message, if I haven't heard from them, and that's only if I've seen they've been online. If not, I don't see the point of filling up their inbox.

Yeah, but you also have a standard when accepting partners. Not to say you're picky, Quix, but I think that you make sure things are a good fit before starting and you also foster these strong OOC relationships before rping(at least, from what I've seen).

Mr Quixotic said:
I don't think I've ever had anyone hassle me for a reply. I try to make it quite clear that I prefer slower paced roleplays, as I focus so intensely on each of my posts, that I need a 'mental break' before I can turn my mind to that particular story again. If a response comes back immediately, I'm like "damn, I just spent two days finishing that reply, now I have to turn around and do it all over again", and that 'stress' (for want of a better word) takes some of the enjoyment out of it. I may be one of the few who actually requests partners not post too fast, or has dropped a roleplay because replies constantly came too quick!

Standing ovation.
This is exactly how am I, and I've never had another role player describe it so beautifully.

Writing is mentally exhausting, especially when you're putting a lot of passion and effort in responses. Which is exactly how I work it. Each roleplay / reply is like a mini work of literary art (egotistical, I know).

Rudolph Quin said:
Yeah, but you also have a standard when accepting partners. Not to say you're picky, Quix, but I think that you make sure things are a good fit before starting and you also foster these strong OOC relationships before rping(at least, from what I've seen).

You're totally right, Rudolph. I'm one who despises being made feel 'obligated' to do anything, so being hassled would likely cause me to drop the story, just on principle, plus this is my relaxation time, and a chance to escape the real world.

I'd prefer to spend that time with people whose personalities mesh with mine, who I'm able to swap natural, unforced banter with. It makes communication comfortable, and the stories themselves seem to flow better as a result.

I think it also has a bit to do with pride. If I start something, I like to finish it, and ensuring we are a good fit, both IC and OoC, from the start, lessens the chances of me ending up with a multitude of unfinished or dropped roleplays.

Temptationist said:
Standing ovation.
This is exactly how am I, and I've never had another role player describe it so beautifully.

Writing is mentally exhausting, especially when you're putting a lot of passion and effort in responses. Which is exactly how I work it. Each roleplay / reply is like a mini work of literary art (egotistical, I know).

Thanks Temptationist; it's not often I get told I've expressed things beautifully!

It is nice to see someone who sympathises with what I mean, as it's not always the case, and can be difficult to explain to those who are able to reply much faster than I.

If I have an rp going that hasn't had something go on in a week, and the pace has been better until that point, I check in that things are ok. Especially if I notice my partner has been on. There are a few partners I have a good OOC rapport with, sometimes I know ahead of time there will be a lull, I am fine with that. If someone is going away, or is busy, I tend to take those rp's on a case by case basis. If I like the story and the partner has been good I can be patient, I may even wait longer just to check in, I've had a partner lose their inbox, sometimes you don't know. Ideally I like to have an OOC thread somewhere with my partners, or messenger if it works, so we have a way to plan and check in, if my partner just takes off then we didn't really get that extra connection going, and I find that important. Plot lines we discuss at the beginning often mutate over time as you both get inspired, and I like to be able to talk about where we both want to go.

Some rp's I can sit down and get a reply out in minutes, and there are some that take me a good bit of time. I don't want to put drama into it, this is for relaxation after all, but if it sort of dies on either end I'd rather know that's that and move on, I can deal with it (and I put it in my request list) but I am also willing to fix it since I spend time creating the plot, backstory and characters and don't want to waste it.

So overall, how long? I'd be vague and say "it depends" on the rp and the partners, some can wait and take time, others are easier to get into and can be hashed out really quick.

I don't message - I also expect that you won't message me. If you're not fine with waiting sometimes weeks between replies, I'm not the person you want to roleplay with. Thankfully, most of the people I RP with don't care.

I'll always be the first to admit that my posting schedule is weird. I don't write because I feel obligated to get to a post. I write because that's when the creative muse hits me. I'd rather respond with something great and take my time with it, rather than present something poor but written quickly. I have "creative periods," where I write nonstop for a couple weeks, and then I post sparingly the next couple of weeks. The cycle continues with (usually) a month-long or so break twice in the year for the final exam period of each college semester. I'm really not the best at having a set posting schedule, but the way it works now allows me to take a mental breather to "recharge" myself.

That all being said, that's why I don't have requirements for my own partners about posting. Even in my request thread, I make it clear that I'm a patient person and that I'd rather have a work of art over a two-cent quickie. Posts come when they come, and I don't really care when they come as long as I know the desire to roleplay is still there. I make very clear to my partners my own posting schedule, as well as keep them updated on the IRL activities that affect my BMR presence. Because of that level of understanding, I've rarely ever had partners harass me for posts. And when they do send messages, it's always in relation to my real-life activities instead of demanding a post (i.e "Hey Ari, the last time we talked you were swamped with exams. You hanging in there?"). Stuff like that.

I also completely agree with Rudolph on tone and phrasing, and this is, I think, the biggest thing about "follow-up" messages. If they phrase it forcefully or I feel like they're just demanding a post from me because they want one, I respectfully end the partnership there, especially if it's only been a couple days. I once had a partner long ago who told me to hurry up and post otherwise I was going to get replaced, and even though I was nearly done with the post, I ended the roleplay. I found that unnecessary and, like you Temptationist, my thoughts were basically, "Bitch please, BYE FELICIA." I understand that roleplaying fuels creativity and is a method of escapism, but lack of respect for other people's lives is a huge turn off.

I sort of agree with everyone above, in that its very much the tone of the message itself and the relationship you have with the partner that determines how you react to prompting.

My problem is that, sometimes, I don't prompt. I always worry about precisely the sort of responses we've been talking about here and, although I know I would be polite, 99% of the time I won't end up sending the message.

Sometimes I regret this. I do wonder how many roleplays I've let slip because I've not prompted someone who's forgotten or just needs a gentle prod in the right direction. Although perhaps the ones that do drop away were never meant to be anyway....

Ariamella said:
I have "creative periods," where I write nonstop for a couple weeks, and then I post sparingly the next couple of weeks. The cycle continues with (usually) a month-long or so break twice in the year for the final exam period of each college semester. I'm really not the best at having a set posting schedule, but the way it works now allows me to take a mental breather to "recharge" myself.

YES.
THIS.
I do this all the time!
It frustrates the shit out of my partners!
So now I make it clear that I will not be consistent in replying, despite BMR norms.

I tend to drop people who harass me for a reply. Which is why there are now only 2-3 people who can RP with me.

This issue and the people who bitch about not receiving replies when they want or getting dropped, so many don't realize its because when you start harassing someone they are LESS likely to want to respond. I've noted this before, people have lives. This is a site for people 18 and older. So, jobs, schooling, family life...theres a lot of things that pull people away.

If people were far more patient, their RPs would last longer. I know because mine have lasted damn long and me and my partner are patient and will wait so long as we know whats what. I keep my partner updated on life and he tells me if there is going to be a delay and what not.

Communication and patience. Two key terms more people need to learn. = -=. [Its likely this exact thing has been said already. I only scanned the different posts. I'm tired. Very tired.]

Karameida said:
I tend to drop people who harass me for a reply. Which is why there are now only 2-3 people who can RP with me.

This issue and the people who bitch about not receiving replies when they want or getting dropped, so many don't realize its because when you start harassing someone they are LESS likely to want to respond.

I'm as bad as this too.
It gets to the point where even a SINGLE message is like an instant-turn off/ instant drop. Even if the message is semi-decent, and not at the point of blatant harassment and entitlement.

I just hate it.
Don't send me a message, ever.
I will reply.
Eventually.

Temptationist said:
Karameida said:

This issue and the people who bitch about not receiving replies when they want or getting dropped, so many don't realize its because when you start harassing someone they are LESS likely to want to respond.

I'm as bad as this too.
It gets to the point where even a SINGLE message is like an instant-turn off/ instant drop. Even if the message is semi-decent, and not at the point of blatant harassment and entitlement.

I just hate it.
Don't send me a message, ever.
I will reply.
Eventually.

I do agree with this. There's that moment where you see the message in your inbox, before even opening it, and it makes your stomach clench a bit.

Even if the roleplay has been fantastic there's something about being pushed before I'm ready to reply that really irks me. Its the quickest way for me to lose interest in a RP.

Karameida said:

This issue and the people who bitch about not receiving replies when they want or getting dropped, so many don't realize its because when you start harassing someone they are LESS likely to want to respond. I've noted this before, people have lives. This is a site for people 18 and older. So, jobs, schooling, family life...theres a lot of things that pull people away.

If people were far more patient, their RPs would last longer. I know because mine have lasted damn long and me and my partner are patient and will wait so long as we know whats what. I keep my partner updated on life and he tells me if there is going to be a delay and what not.

Communication and patience. Two key terms more people need to learn. = -=. [Its likely this exact thing has been said already. I only scanned the different posts. I'm tired. Very tired.]

I run games that are bigger then one on one .. much bigger.

I even make it clear for those games, if you want me to write with you, pushing me for a reply is just going to piss me off, because I have things to do that don't always revolve around posting.

Not even going to lie..

Was in the process of negotiating the basic foundation of a story with a prospect when I shit you not, my internet AND phone service both went offline. At the same time. It felt like Armageddon.

I finally just logged back in, and my inbox was blown up with inquiries from said prospect as to whether I was still interested in the RP or not.

Killed it.

I agree with the week standard. Wait a week. Then be super cordial and polite when you ask if they are still interested.

It's that simple.

I'm super bad at consistently replying and state that right up. I hate being pestered and even one message is enough to make me lose any interest in replying. It makes it feel like an obligation and it's just... ugh. If I'm interested in the roleplay, you'll get a reply eventually. If not, I'll tell you.

I tend to message people after a bit of not seeing them around to make sure they're okay--I don't mind long delays, so it's not a poke as such, more a 'I haven't seen you around lately, you got anything going on that's causing issues for you?'. Which serves the dual purpose of, if they forgot, being a pleasant reminder with no blame attached, and if they do have something going on, giving them an outlet to vent, potentially.

On the other hand, I tend to get to know my RP partners before starting things; I like getting a sense of the person, and I'd send that same message if we hadn't been talking even if there wasn't an RP going on between us actively.

For those of you who have said that even a single message is enough to turn you off of things, is that something you'd count as one? Or is the intent sufficiently distinct to make it less annoying to you, generally speaking?

I'd say after about five days, I may ask if stuff's still going. Maybe. Often, I kind of lose interest after about a week of no progress anyways, so I won't even ask. It's not even really a "Hey, I wanna RP, where are you, I'm waiting?" kinda thing (in whatever tone it may be), it's just trying to know if I should look for something else or if this is gonna continue. If someoen doesn't reply at all, be that to my inquiry about the status of the RP, or after a long time of no posts whatsoever - say two week, maybe. Probably depends on mood as well - then I'll just drop it and that'll be it. Not the end of the world.

I message them once to test if they're still around after some time has passed.

No answer? Delete all messages, remove from friend list, move on. Was hard when I started using this forum, it turned a lot easier with time.

The RP community is filled with people who don't answer requests at all (that's fine, I guess, though it takes 5 seconds of your precious time to type "No" and send a reply), who ask for an RP and then leave without saying anything (they could have saved me the trouble), and even worse: planning what's going to be on subsequent scenes and then leaving without a trace.

The Internet, like real life itself, has its own deal of inconsiderate people. And we all are like that sometimes. S'just some people do it systematically and that's quite shitty.

I stress out and get overwhelmed VERY easily. And this can be caused by a slew of different things--even things you might not realize. When I get pestered for posts, I will start to stress out about it and get that feeling like I'm going to literally crash and die. So, that literally causes my brain and functioning in the writing department to more or less freeze up. The more persistent or clingy the tone, the worse my overwhelm. Being a socially awkward individual, I haven't quite perfected how to deal with that. I try my best always, but I'd be lying if I said I had it perfected in way. I will say, that when this happens, my muse and functioning for writing will dwindle and thus I'll stop writing for the RP I'm crashing on. As such, writing can full out stop for a bit until the crash period ends. What can end it? Well, if the pestering/smothering ceases and an understanding is reached, but sometimes even that won't work. It'll depend. If I reach the 'point of no return', I have to drop. Just like, if the pestering reaches a certain level, I'll have to drop. I literally won't be able to function.

On the flip side, I will NOT pester others to post for me in return. I just won't. If I'm interested in the RP, I will patiently wait for forever for you to post. If you never do...then you never do. But I will not ask you to do so. If you tell me up front you're dropping, then I say a polite thank you. If you drop me quietly and just never post again, I move on and just let it go. I don't dwell on it. Typically, I won't consider an RP dropped unless I've had no contact in anyway with the person for at least a couple of weeks maybe even up to a month. And I mean, they aren't even PMing me for idle chit-chat. But most of the time, I know who needs to take a long while to post and am decent enough friends with my writing partners. With those where I'm not? It's a hit and miss...sometimes the chemistry is there and they get it, sometimes they just don't and make assumptions. *shrugs*

One thing I will add is that being the sort I am I can go through distraction/loss of focus periods where it might take me a bit to post. And this isn't really writer's block per se. It's more that I'm quite literally distracted by EVERYTHING (though also sometimes my life can just get down right busy at times)...sights, smells, sounds and the occasional hyper focus (hard to explain this one, it's like I'll get REALLY into something and have to spend time researching on it until I've exhausted the energy and OCD to do so). I do tell people this straight up and try to keep in contact while it's occurring. However, some people don't get it and think that they'll be that special snowflake exception. Ummm...no you won't. LOL! My brain makes no exceptions. XD It doesn't care who you are. >///< So, sometimes people get upset and think they're getting snubbed when they aren't. I get irritated by this when this happens, especially since I tell them. But ehh, not much I can do about it. Either you accept this when you write with me or you don't bother. And if you pester me while it's happening, I guarantee you that you'll only trigger a melt down and thus a drop.

Back
Top Bottom