Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Over Coffee {Shadow x Serene}

Serene

Moon
Light was filtering through the clouds, another gorgeous morning. The day was filled with potential, and good potential at that. The sun rays warmed Arielle's skin as she rolled down the window of her beat up red Volkswagen Jetta. She waved at her younger sister, who was walking up the path to Fern Creek Middle School after exiting the car.

"Have a great day, doll!" Arielle called, smiling as Karina turned around and waved back before disappearing into the sprawling building.

Her wide grin faded once her sister was out of sight, a sigh escaping her lips as she began driving out of the school parking lot. This morning was beautiful, yes, but it was tainted with the memory of her father's drunken yells from last night. It was no place for a child to grow up. It was also no place for her to be, but she had no choice for now. Once she got guardianship of Karina, they could both leave that hollow home.

Within a few minutes, Lucky Penny Coffee Shop came into view. Its familiar brick exterior eased Arielle's tension slightly. She parked the car on the side of the road, and grabbed her leather messenger bag. As she got out of the car, she adjusted her dark jeans and long sleeved black v-neck. Slamming the car door, she made her way into The Lucky Penny.

As always, ambient lighting and a cozy interior greeted her. At 7:50 am, she was the first customer of the day. No barista in sight, yet. Lucas, the elderly owner of the shop, usually tended the tables in the morning. Arielle thought he must be in the back somewhere. She moved to sit at the bar, setting her bag on the burnt wooden surface. After hopping on one of the stools, she pulled out her faded notebook and laptop. Uncapping a pen, she began recording her thoughts on the morning by hand...trying to get the muse going as she waited for the barista.

Routine was never something he was used to but it seemed Bryan was developing a habit for waking up at his desk and the sun's persistence waking him. Not a terrible means of waking but it did a number on his neck and back. A glance at his phone prompted him to get moving as he pushed off from his desk, propelling his chair a few feet towards the door of his office. He stretched out, rolling his neck and arching his back, and felt the subtle pop of tension release with a verbal sigh of relief escaping him. Get moving he told himself as he moved to the shower to wash off.

He could have almost swore so loud the neighbour might complain had the cold water that struck his back not sucked the air from his lungs. The frigid jolt that coursed him his back from the water certainly woke him up as he shivered slightly, relishing the slow increasing temperature of the water and the warmth it brought with it as the water ran. A quick shower and towelling of his wet hair and he was dressed and off to the coffee shop.

The sun hit his black polo shirt and any hint of cold that remained from the shower was gone as he soaked in the light. He took a quick glance at his phone's clock before slipping it back into his jeans pocket with relieved smile. 7:48 and he was just across the street.

He was making his way across the street when he saw her familiar face. He had typically been late most mornings and by the time he arrived she was always there with some of the other regulars that stopped by. He never assumed she was there ahead of opening. Guess you miss a lot when you're twenty minutes late most days. She was settling in when he got into the door. Bryan looked around and realized he was the first barista in and went across the front to the back, grabbing an apron and making his way to the bar. He leaned on the other side across from her. "I'd say you shouldn't start working till you've had a morning coffee but that would sort of be my fault." Terrible he thought to himself as he gave her a small smile. "What can I get you this morning?"

The inked words on the page came easily. Most of them were fragments of thought, but all Arielle needed was to get her mind thinking creatively. The publicist she contacted had loved her idea, even the sketches accompanying it. But writing for so long every day was no simple task. Getting the creativity flowing day after day was something that took a lot of work. But it was something that Arielle would do, if she could make writing her steady job.

The bell rang as a familiar barista came hurrying through the doors. Though unsure of his name, Arielle recognized his face pretty quickly. She grinned at his joke, chuckling. This one was newer than the other ones, but he had a pleasant demeanor and he made great coffee. Returning his smile, she shrugged a shoulder.

"I hope it's alright I'm in here. The doors were unlocked, so I just assumed that Mr. Luck or someone was in the back. But I would love a latte with mint," she replied, tucking hair behind her ears. She watched for a beat before asking, "Hurried morning, then?"

She waited for him to respond as she cracked open her laptop and began opening story documents. Now was as good a time to start as any, while waiting for coffee.

Bryan chuckled, "A little hurried. Almost made it in before you did but I think it's going to be tough to beat you here." He grabbed a cup and saucer and placed it by the espresso machine, getting everything in order before he started the process of making her drink.

"If the door's open, then you're more than welcome company. Besides, there's really nothing to steal first thing in the morning anyways unless you're really hankering for that caffeine fix" He said with a grin before turning his back to her as he began to work on her latte.

Whirring sound of the coffee grinder signalled the start of what is generally a noisy all day affair at the coffee shop. From the grinder to the machine, he was efficient but careful. His nose soaked in the smell of the fresh ground coffee beans and any remaining feeling of sleep in him was washed away with the wonderful aroma. He steamed the milk as the the espresso poured and soon was filling the cup with the froth. Near the top, he went to the real work. A small outline of a sheet of paper and a quilled pen accented by the green colour of peppermint flavouring lining the quill's feather. He smiled inwardly at his artwork as he wiped down the small saucer beneath the cup, clearing any brown splashes of espresso that escaped the cup as the machine poured, before placing the drink in front of her.

"Since we're...." He looked at the clock as it shifted to 8:00am, "Just only opening now and I'm generally always late, consider this one on me." He gave her a warm smile. "It'll be my incentive to get her before you do next time."

Arielle glanced down at the saucer, a happy smile quirking up on her lips. The latte art featured an elegant, sloped quill pen with a sheet of paper. Even the soft green of the peppermint lined up perfectly. She grinned and looked back up at him, caught slightly off guard that the latte would be free.

"Well, I can't say no to a free latte. You're too kind," she smiled, looking back up at him. "It's almost too pretty to drink."

She let it cool for a few moments, clicking around on her computer as she got all of her files in order. Touching the side of the cup, she deemed it ready. After taking a sip, a soft and satisfied sigh escaped her. The minty bite was perfectly accompanied by the sweetness of the cream. How she loved a good cup of coffee.

"This is delicious. Thanks again," she called to him. "Considering that you've been one of the first people I see in the mornings for the past few days now, maybe I should introduce myself? My name's Arielle. I've been coming here since I was a kid. Though, back then...it usually wasn't to sit and do work,"

She smiled as she chatted, taking a sip of her coffee and waiting for his reply.

Bryan laughed a little and gave her a warm smile, "Well there's always a first for everything but I really hope there's there's not a first time refusal of free coffee." He had seen her around quite a bit but he couldn't really point to a time he had seen her smile while he had worked there. Not that he'd been looking but he certainly would hope to see it more.

"Hope it tastes as good as it looks. Can't say I've made a ton of those before." A small feeling of relief came over him when she finally took a sip and enjoyed it.

He leaned on the opposite side of the bar from where she sat, glad the shop was still quiet for the time being to let him talk a little. He extended his hand to her when she introduced herself, nodding with a smile, "Pleasure to finally meet you Arielle. I'm Bryan and I can honestly say I've definitely not had the same history here as you." He laughed a little. "I hope it's not just work that keeps you here. Nostalgic places like this should still have the same relaxed and comforting feel to get away from work too"

She took his hand and shook it before taking another drink of her coffee. Propping her elbow up on the counter, she rested her chin in her palm and thoughtfully considered what he said. True, she loved this coffee shop. She knew most of the regulars, as well as the owners Mr. and Mrs. Luck.

She'd sat in this shop over the years for high school group projects, first dates, self reflection. It was dear to her. But despite that, her own past haunted her outside the doors. Arielle knew that once she received legal guardianship, she and Karina would leave this town. She pushed the clouded thoughts from her mind and blinked.

"It's a pleasure to meet you too, Bryan. This coffee shop is probably my favorite place in town. Way more than just a work space. But anyway, what brought you to Fern Creek? It's a pretty small town," she raised her eyebrows. "I can't see why it would be all that appealing,"

Bryan gave her a small shrug and a smile. Sometimes quiet is its own appeal and getting a small inheritance to keep him comfortable for at least a few years. "It's a small town and that's why it was nice to come here. I wanted a fresh start and sometimes in a city you don't feel like you can hear yourself think. Besides, people are friendlier."

He eyed her work hear briefly and returned his attention to her, "that and it's easier to write here than it is back home."

The bell at the door signalled a new customer and Bryan looked up to see one of the many regulars who would filter in and out. He signalled to Arielle to give him a minute as he made the woman's macchiato to go. Much like he was with Arielles order, he moved with an assertive efficiency while taking care with the final touches before handing the woman her drink and grabbing her a cover for her in exchange for the cash she had ready. "Have a nice day!" He said as she left, a smile and a wave her response as she was out almost as quickly as she was in.

"Nobody waves much either back home" he added to Arielle with a laugh

Back
Top Bottom