Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

New Beginnings (P) -Ladydark/AndNich123-

Ladydark

The minds master
Jareth smiles softly as he makes his rounds, it had been a slow and quiet day, which was a good day for someone in his profession. Jareth was a well known doctor, he was one of a handful in the country who treated both human and demon patients. He was just finishing up when one of his nurses caught him "Dr Knights... We have a transfer coming in... A John Doe... Here is his charts, they'd like you to have a look at him." Jareth nods and takes it "Thanks Amy... And for the last time... Call me Jareth..." He smiles at her and looks over the papers "He was hit by a car... Broken leg, few cracked ribs... This was dated 6 months ago..." He flips the page "Ah... He's in a coma from hitting his head... Everything has healed... But he's not waking up... Hmm..." He closes the file "Take me to his room..." Amy nods and leads him down the long hall to the long term care wing and into a private room.

Jareth enters the room with the nurse "Thank you Amy..." He says softly, she nods an leaves, Jareth walks up to the bed and slowly looks the man over, he had been given physiotherapy every other day to prevent his muscles from diminishing and had been kept clean and groomed. "All this time and no one has come forward to identify you... You poor guy..." He then gets close to him and gives him a slight once over with his nose, he didn't smell anything wrong. "Hmm..." He takes a seat across the room to think on a few treatments.

It had been a dark night. Raining too. Yeah. The smell of rain in the air along with the cool evening breeze has been enough to make his shudder. He had pulled his coat around him tightly as he peered from his umbrella. A night out with friends had come to an end, and now he was making his way back to his car. He could still hear the music from inside pounding on the wall. Despite the weather there was a line around the corner to get inside. One of the newest and hottest spots in town, and Mason had been lucky enough to get inside. He was glad too. It was his first real time out since moving to the new town. Oh he had made friends easy enough, but with work and getting settled in, he simply hadn’t gone out in the few months he had been living there. Finally tonight all that changed and so much more.

He was heading to his car when a car quickly approached him. It was like a horror movie happening in slow motion. He remembered throwing his hands up, and then a feeling of weightlessness and flight combined with immense pain. The sight of the rain splashing against the black asphalt of the parking lot was the main thing he focused on. He could see people coming closer, but for some strange reason, he couldn’t hear any voices. He didn’t even hear the sirens as the ambulance got there. A face of a man talking to him came into view as they moved him to his back. The bright lights inside the ambulance followed. Then nothing. When you’re in a room and you turn off the lights, there is still live in the darkness. You can hear, smell, even sense things. This wasn’t that kind of darkness. There was just nothing.

I seemed like only the blink of eye for him as his eyes fluttered open slowly. Starring up at the ceiling, he was certain it was the same day. As his eyes shifted around the room though, he began to realize maybe it was simply the next day. The sun was shining outside. ‘I slept all night.’ His eyes stopped on the man sitting in the chair. ‘Who is he? Must be my doctor. Doc! I’m fine!’ It took a few minutes for Mason to realize he wasn’t actually speaking. Trying to move his lips proved to be most difficult. His throat was dry, and his lips were cracked. Still he tried, finally able to move them, but no sound was produced. ‘Hey doc! Over here! Look at me!’ His mind was the only voice he had.

Jareth was looking over his chart again, a notepad on the small desk he had brought in, it had been two days since his new patient was brought in. He had spent several hours with him the first day, getting to know his scent so he'd be able to smell any changes. He makes a few notes when there was a faint tug in his mind and a shift in his patients scent, he looks up and notices him awake! "Oh!" He gets up and moves to the bedside, "Just relax... Let me check your vitals..." He noticed him trying to talk 'Here... Is this easier?' The voice was in his head 'Don't be afraid... This is just my special talent..' He smiles kindly to him 'What is it you need... Talking my hurt for a while... You haven't spoken in some time...'

A hurt look comes over his face as he hears the man’s voice in his head. ‘Some time? I haven’t spoken in some time? How long is some time? I just got hurt last night. Right? If that’s not right, how long have I been here? Wait.” He steadies his thoughts by closing his eyes for a moment. When he opens them again, he’s starring into those of the kind doctor once more. ‘Mason. My name is Mason.’ He stops, looking as though he’s concentrating extrememly hard. ‘I….I can’t remember my last name. What’s wrong with me? Help me doc.’ Even in his head, his voice is full of panic. He wants to reach up and grab the doctor, but his arms feel as though they’re weighted down. ‘It’s hard to even move! What’s wrong with me? Help me! Please! Mason! I live at….I..can’t..remember! I can’t remember much of anything! What’s wrong with me?’ He begins to cry softly. His throat aches even more as the sobs well up and are the first sound heard from him.

Maybe he shouldn't have said that "Woah... One at a time... Calm down please..." He reaches out and takes his hand "Mason was it... Just calm down... You hit your head in a car accident 6 months ago... It was a hit and run... You seem to have a bit of amnesia... That's common for people who were in a coma..." He glances at the monitors as his heart rate spikes "Calm down... That's it..." He holds his hand and runs his fingers through his hair. "Good... Now let me get you some water..." He gently dries his eyes "You'll be fine... I'm going to take good care of you... I promise..." He waits until he's completely calmed down before moving to get some water with a straw. "Small sips... You haven't had anything in 6 months..."

‘Six months? Six months of my life gone, and I don’t recall any of it. Six months that I slept. Six months I’ll never get back.’ He leans forward, taking small sips, and feeling the agony as the cold liquid hits his throat. ‘It..hurts.’ He winces swallowing the water down. ‘When can I leave? What do I have to do? Talking with my mouth I’m guessing.’ He actually smiles looking up at Jareth. ‘So you’re my doctor. Your name. What’s your name? Did you tell me, and I’ve forgotten already?’ His mind beings to search, trying to find his name. ‘Please tell me you didn’t tell me what your name is! Please!’ Again panic begins to rise.

"Relax... I didn't tell you... I'm Dr Knights... But I prefer Jareth..." He smiles and takes the water away when he's had enough and takes a seat by the bed. "Well... You'll need to learn to walk again... Speak... We'll have to work on that memory problem... Can you tell me what you do remember?" He continues to hold his hand lightly, trying to keep him calm.

‘Rain. It was raining. I didn’t see the car. I just felt it. No. I felt like I was flying, but it hurt. I was coming from a nightclub. I remember dancing inside. It was hot and smoky in there. Bright lights. A lot of red lights. There was a girl there. She had on a white sun dress with flowers. I thought she looked like she didn’t belong there.’ He closes his eyes. ‘I can still hear the music. I remember seeing the ran splashing on the ground as I lay there. The bright lights of the ambulance, and then…..” He shakes his head. ‘That’s it. I don’t remember anything after that. Before that, I….I don’t remember too much. A brown door. My house has..a brown..door. I think. I keep seeing one. I can’t..I can’t..remember anything else.’ He looks down at his hand, checking to see if there was a ring on it. ‘Am I married? Did you take a ring from me? Did I forget my wife too? Well. That is if I have a wife. Do you know anything else about me?’

Jareth reaches over for his file and pulls it closer, he flips through it "There was no ring found on you... Or a wallet... You were found... Down town in a parking lot that served a few night clubs... When questioned, none of the bar staff remembered you..." He frowns slightly and looks at him "With my mental powers I could normally go looking for your memories myself... Help you remember... But with amnesia they aren't only blocked, but hidden... Even from me..." He squeezes his hand and smiles "But that doesn't mean I'm giving up... But first... Getting you well..." He sets the file aside and lifts the drink again "Try holding a bit in your mouth... Before you swallow, wet things up a bit..." He sets the drink down when done "Alright... Open up..." Once he does so, he looks in his mouth and throat with a light.

‘No ring. No wallet. That doesn’t mean I’m not married. It means I was robbed.’ He struggled to even remember what his wallet looked like. Nothing. Every corner he tried to explore was nothing more than a dark, empty space. It was the gentle squeeze from Jareth that drew his attention back. ‘Yes. Well.’ The straw touched his lips, and he filled his mouth with the cold liquid. It felt soothing. As he swallowed, his throat was still sore. He knew with time it would get easier though. Mason opens up wide, watching him inspect his throat. Jareth looked deep in concentration. He didn’t want to interrupt him from his work, but the urge to swallow became too much. His lips closed, and his throat gave in. After he swallows he looks at him and smiles. “Jareth.” His voice was weak and hoarse, but the name was clearly heard.

Jareth looks at him and smiles, hearing him say his name "Well... Hello there..." He chuckles softly "I didn't see any sores or cuts... It just needs to get used to being used again..." He hits a button to call the nurse in, after a few minutes Amy walks in "Yes Dr... Oh! He's... He's awake..." She walks in and up to the bed. "Yes... I'd like you to start looking for another room for him... He'll also need to be scheduled for physiotherapy... Oh... And his name is Mason... He's got a bit of amnesia and can't remember much else..." Amy nods and walks over to the bed, taking his other hand, she smiles at him "Don't you worry... Dr Knight is the best around... If anyone can help you... He can..." She smiles again then leaves, Jareth blushes slightly and watches her go "Thanks... Amy..."

“Phs-Phsiother-apy?” His face shows his discomfort. “New….room? Why?” His eyes shift back to the open door Amy had left through. ‘Amy. Her name is Amy. Don’t forget her. Don’t forget.’ Mason nodded, as if the gesture would help him remember her better. ‘She likes you. I can’t remember who I am, but I remember what flirting looks like,’ he teases him. ‘A doctor like you has to see it, and Jareth you’re blushing.’ His laugh is dry, but it’s heard nonetheless.

Jarerh clears his throat and smiles a bit "Yeah... Don't think I don't know how most of the nurses feel about me..." He taps his nose slightly and rolls his eyes "Now... As for you... I'm moving you to a new room because this wing is or long term care... Which you don't need anymore... And physiotherapy to help you walk again... Use your arms... 6 months in bed... You've also lost a bit of muscle mass... You can't just walk out those doors..." He smiles "I wish medicine was that good already..." He sighs, "I'm also starting you on a soft food diet... Applesauce, jello, noodles... You need a lot of work my friend...

It sounded like he still had a long way to go and a tough road to take to get there. “You’ll..help..me,” he asked. The words seemed to exhaust his throat. ‘I mean you’ll help me as much as you can though? I know medicine can’t do everything, but you know what to give me, what thearpy to order, what tests to have run. So you’ll help me as much as you can. Right? I just want to try and get my life back. I’ve already missed so much. I don’t want to waste any more of it. I want to live it. I want to make it count. I want to make memories and do my best to remember them.’ Mason offers him a warm smile before adding, ‘at least I still remember how to smile. I can still do that Hey doc. That’s one less thing you have to teach me how to do.'

Jareth smiles at him "Yes... I'll be the one helping you... You've been signed over to my care... Tho there will be a few things the nurses will continue to take care of... Bathing and dressing you... Until you can take over... But I'll be here for you as much as I can be... I have a few other patients to look after..." He squeezes his hand again "Yes... It seems you haven't lost you personality... You remember you... There are so many who forget completely... I'm glad that's not the case here..."

‘I’ve already lost so much. I’m glad I didn’t lose who I am. That would be too much. It’s already unfair that I can’t remember most of my life. Jareth Knights. My nurse is Amy. My name is Mason Weathers.’ He rests his head back on the pillow more and smiles. ‘I’m hungry though. I feel like I could eat. I think I want some fish. Yeah. I like fish.’ Mason laughed. ‘How about that? I can’t remember where I live, but I remember I like fish. Would it be too much trouble to get some?’

Jareth was making notes in his chart while he was talking, when he suddenly says his full name "Mason... You remembered something... Not just the fish... You said your last name... Weathers... We can look you up now... Maybe you have some family out there looking for you..." He smiles, then frowns "And sorry... No fish for you yet... You have been fed by tubes and I.V for 6 months... Your stomach has forgotten food.. It sounds silly... But eating could make you sick... We have to start slow..." Just then Amy returns "Alright Mason... We got you a room... If you'd like, we can move you there now..." Jareth stands "He's remembered his last name... You can move him if he's ready... I'm going to head to my office and look him up..." He turns to leave the room.

It actually did make sense to him why he couldn’t eat. Mason wasn’t happy about it, but he was all for not getting sick again. ‘I understand doc. I’m ready to be moved whenever.’ Looking over at Amy, he smiles. She was pretty and the first woman he had seen since he woke up. Not being able to remember anyone, it was felt that good to have that feeling of familiarity with her as she came back in the room. He nods watching the doctor as he head for the door. “Thank….you….Jareth.” It hurt for him to speak again, but it was something he wanted to do. He wanted Jareth to hear his voice thanking him and not just in his mind. He nods to the nurse letting her know he was ready.

Jareth smiles again and stops by the door "You're welcome..." With that he leaves the room and heads to his office, he sets the file down and boots up his computer, he also picks up his phone and calls the officer covering Mason's case "Hello... Officer Carson... Yes, I was put on your John Doe case from 6 months ago... Yes, the hit and run... Well he woke up today... Yes he's doing well... He does have a little memory loss but managed to remember his name... Mason Weathers... If you could find anything... Thank you, I'll keep you informed... Thank you..." He hands up and types his name into Google, looking for anything.

Mason relaxes as Amy begins to push his bed down the hall. Looking up he watches light after light pass over his head. Flashes of that night begin to come back to him. He sees similar the lights, those from the hospital he was at in his mind. A nurse leans over. Her lips are moving, but he can barely hear a sound coming from her, at first, and then her voice booms in his ears. “Sir! Are you with me? Keep your eyes open! He’ bleeding out! We gotta stop this! We’re gonna lose him!” He becomes agitated in the bed, turning his head from side to side. “No,” he calls out. Her voice still plays in his head. “Remain still Sir! Don’t move! You’re injured!”
“NO,” he cries out, his voice louder. Mason throws up his hands trying to push the nurse that wasn’t really there away. “I’m….fine! No!” Amy stops the bed and comes around checking on him. “Mason? It’s alright. Relax. “Page Dr. Knights,” she yells to the nurse behind the desk. “Mr. Weathers! It’s alright.” Still combative, he pushes her back from him as he starts to sit up. Moving his legs, he tries to swing them off the bed.

The web page was just starting to load when the page on the loud speakers came through, he leaves his stuff and gets up, running from the room. As he nears the nurses station he hears Amy yelling and Mason crying out, he moves faster and gets there as Mason is trying to get out of bed. "Woah! ... What happened here... Mason... Mason calm down... You need to lay down..." He tries to gently lay him down, watching him closely "You're alright... You're at the hospital... Remember... Look at me... Look at me ok... Good... Now take a few deep breaths... Good..." He smiles at him "Now... Can you tell me where you are...

Mason looks around. Jareth’s face slowly begins to meld in with the images he sees. “Hospital….ER….He’s….hurt….May need….surgery….Restrain….him….Sedate him….No!” He shakes his head. “No….drugs….Wanna stay….awake….Nurses….I see….them….blonde….hair.” His words become more faint as he keeps talking. “Please….make it stop….hurting.” He grips his body, embracing himself. "Please....help....me, he pleads.

"He's... Having flash backs..." He thinks out loud then moves closer to him as he remember the pain he went through "Mason... Mason relax..." He gently pulls him to him and hugs him, rubbing his back slowly "Relax... You're safe now... The pain is long gone... Breathe..." He didn't want to give him a sedative this soon after waking up, he may slip back into a coma "Mason... Can you hear me... It's Jareth... Do you remember waking up today... Focus on the... You're safe... I promise..." He held him until he calmed down, rubbing his back slowly, something he'd do for the younger children in the hospital when they had a bad day.

He felt his arms around him, smelled him, and heard his voice. Slowly his heart stopped pounding in his chest. He wrapped his own arms around him. “Jareth.” It was all she said over and over again. He found comfort in him, and soon his breathing was back to normal. The images faded, and all he saw was the hospital and the man with him. He squeezed him tightly, not wanting to let go. “Thank you.”

Amy watched as Jareth held the man, he was like a lost child, so that's how Jareth comforted him, she smiles, he alway knew just how to care for someone. Jareth just holds him and continues to rub his back "It's ok... No need to thank me... Its why I'm here..." He looks down at him, he could feel how tight he was holding him, "Think you're ready to go to your room now..?" He looks at Amy "Could you please sit the bet up... I don't think he'll want to lay down..." Amy nods and moves to do so, he looks at Mason again "Ready?" He wasn't going to push him, it had already been a hard day for him.

Back
Top Bottom