Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Broken Blood

BlueSix

Planetoid
@Tsair
@GrinningGentleman

So I figured this should be a group RP. I have a rudimentary story plotted out, so the beginning, at least, should be cool.

I won't be taking any official character sheets. Just offer a description of how your character fits in the story.

Allow me to describe some of the story. We'll begin with a Prologue, where each of you start off on the back of a flying wyvern arriving at the battlefield on command from the King. As Imperial battlemages, you've been tasked with defending a city from an unusually large bandit invasion.

Unfortunately, once you're done, the people of the city turn against you for using the blood of their elder, and the city's Baron has you thrown into the dungeon for murder.

Agents of Lady K will eventually rescue you.

With that prologue in mind, I'm thinking Grinning & I have at least some foreknowledge of each other. My character's name is going to be Arkon Felsworn, trained battlemage & of light experience. His aptitude at combat is greater than his aptitude for magic, his strongest offensive spells being used only from blood magic. Other than that, he's used to being a supporting mage, casting in order to allow combat to swing favorably. With such overwhelming odds and the options being either the death of the elder or the loss of the city, Ark would easily opt for the sacrifice of the man if necessary, though not something he would use as a primary goal. I can work with this a bit more, obviously, but I figure it's a good enough starting point.

All right, so the magic in this game has a few physical rules:
*Mana is the soul energy in all living things. It is transmitted by blood, and can be recovered through the consumption of other life forms.
*Consciousness occurs when a spirit in the plane of the universe is condensed into a living brain. Mana anchors it to the body.
*All magic is powered by mana. Once used, mana disperses back into the universe to be redistributed.

This should be a workable foundation for the various magical fields, which include:
*Blood Magic, an entry-level field that permits non-elemental magic like telekinesis. Advanced blood battlemages abandon elemental specialties in favor of using their powers for growth, healing, and physical reinforcement. There are only two individuals in the known world who have taken this magic a step further...
*Aether Magic, sometimes dubbed 'air magic.' Sonic bursts are the bread and butter of an Aether Battlemage, and advanced battlemages can summon tornadoes. Pseudo-telepathy is also possible with this magic.
*Lumen Magic, sometimes dubbed 'fire magic.' Uses pure energy to cause materials to heat, combust, or otherwise overload. Fireballs are a Lumen Battlemage's standard attack, and advanced battlemages are known to summon meteors or create artificial suns.
*Chaos Magic, sometimes dubbed 'dark magic.' Uses gravitational fields to manipulate material energies, often to disperse them into the universe, hence the 'chaos' moniker. Cooling and freezing is not an uncommon application of this field. Advanced battlemages can, with difficulty, create black holes, and they can teleport through wormholes.

You may have noticed that Blood Magic has an additional 'step' I mentioned. This is called Soulforce Magic. Through a contract with another spirit, one can gain the ability to manipulate the very souls of living things. I don't mean mana - I mean the actual souls. Mind control and celestial prophecy are applications of this field. There are very few people left in the world who practice it. You are not among them. Yet.

That's been a lot more helpful, now I have a proper feel for magic. I would like to have Ark delve into Chaos magic, though his experience wouldn't allow him access to the intensive portions of the field. I would instead have him limited to basic blood magic and utilizing his chaos magic to enhance his strength through gravitational advantage and quick application. What's the casting aspect of magic, how does a 'spell' cast?

Magic is cast by controlling your body's bloodflow such that your mana congregates where you want it to. Just getting that far requires a great deal of meditation and self-control. Manipulating your newly-congregated mana requires sheer force of will, plus a mechanical knowledge of how it works and what exactly you want it to do.

To show you a real-life example of how this works, close your eyes, clear your head, and imagine that your hand is itching. Imagine, pretend, believe that it is itching. Eventually, it will itch for real, simply because you willed it to. That's basically how magic works, except it also involves controlling your breathing, heart rate, and internal thermostat.

If you're contracting with a celestial spirit, you must speak to it in its own language tell it what you want it to do. This process is what's commonly referred to as spellcasting. Really only Soulforce mages can do that reliably. The more foolish elements of humanity, like self-proclaimed witches and wizards, tend to contract with celestial spirits without having a magical foundation for controlling them, and thus tend to eventually invite destruction upon themselves.

Interesting, and I like that. Is there any difference between the schools of magic other than practicing a certain type?

The differences are like...math in accounting, math in statistics, and math in physics. They're all math, but they focus on different aspects of it. All the fields of magic rely on a fundamental understanding of mana, but using it requires understanding jow it works in different contexts. A lumen mage understands mana very differently from a chaos mage, and their fields have little overlap. You don't see accountants doing theoretical physics, nor vice versa. Neither can fire mages do chaos magic.

excellent. I'll wait for grinning to weigh in before discussing further, but I definitely am interested in Ark being a chaos mage. He'd obviously also have proper understanding of blood magic.

Why hello there.. This took a different turn, than initially expected. One, I'm not sure I mind, I might add.

My character, for Tsair's sake, is named Vladimir Rasputin. He is a very talented Blood Mage, and never had any other call, then that of Blood. This has made him a bit more adept in Blood Magic, then many other Mages who chose a path down the more advanced skills.
But furthermore, Vladimir is a designer, both of fashion and war. He's designed many different outfits for both court, and the battlefield. His designs was always highly valued, and this had gotten him a spot among nobility, and therefor a part in the King's army. Vladimir happily accepted, wanting to put his magic to use.
Where Arkon would be more supportive with his Blood Magic, Vladimir would be extremely aggressive, and brutal. He takes use of all advantages he get's, and fear is a powerful weapon. And there is little more frightening, than a man who seems to enjoy, sucking the blood out of another person, only to turn it into caustic projectiles. But where he isn't strong, is fighting in any sort of combat, reliant on weapons. Vladimir is the kind of entity, who needs support to work. Which is why him and Arkon, would probably work perfect together. Arkon has the Blood and Chaos support through his magic, and his protection through his weapon. While Vladimir has the fear factor, and focus on pain in his.

As for foreknowledge between the two, I'd like if the two came from different backgrounds. Arkon being a Battlemage, probably wouldn't have been very high in the noble scene? While Vladimir Rasputin's past had lead him into high society at a young age, making him a nobleman. But perhaps they first met each other on the same assignment. Which is where they would realize, just how perfect their powers where, when properly mixed?

I agree that they wouldn't have known about each other before they began working together, and that the two would pair up exceedingly well. Arkon prefers not to delve into the fear aspect of his power, but would respect Vladimir's take on the blood arts and acknowledge that they can be just as powerful. As for Arkon's background, he intended to enlist from a young age and dedicated his youth to becoming proficient at his work. His social skills would likely not be the best, but he would get along well with one whose power was easy to see.

Back
Top Bottom