Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

MxM Zombie Asylum (Tasinga Nightwolf/KingOfLimbo)

The sound of dripping water meeting linoleum floor met Gene’s ears as he struggled to open his eyes. His body ached in throbbing pulses as cold bit into his joints and bones. He was trembling violently unable to stop at all, he turned his head a jolt of pain radiating from the joints in his neck like a stab wound as he took in his surroundings. He was in a tight, dark space, curled in on himself awkwardly as he attempted to shake off the last dregs of sleep that clouded his mind.

Blinking his burning, tired amber eyes he reached up and felt around the metal walls for an exit. Bits of light seeped in from the outside in pale lines, they were familiar enough for him to recognize that he must have been in a locker. Finding the metal latch he lifted the peg causing the door of the locker he had stuffed himself into to swing open slowly with an uncomfortably loud shriek of metal. The sound bounced off the concrete walls in a loud echo causing his heart to jump into his throat. He waited for a few moments and when no other sounds began he carefully attempted to get up.

“Ah!” With a pained cry he tumbled out of the locker as the muscles in his legs seized and his joints refused to unfold. The cold had seeped into him too deeply and he felt as though knives were digging into each joint and twisting them apart. Trembling and hesitant he reached down to rub his leg muscles in an attempt to get them to relax.

The cold and sleeping muscles quivered at his touch and he felt the familiar ache of invisible bruises across his flesh as he rubbed at them. He needed to get his legs working again…he was not safe, never safe. The sudden distant sound of footsteps approaching resulted in his heart skipping a beat. He looked around the empty room locker room and spotted the open doorway, the door long gone and frame mangled somewhat badly.

Someone was approaching, he could hear their footsteps as they got closer and closer. Gene began to panic, something had entered the mental hospital a while ago and driven him to hiding in the locker room. He should never have left the ward! The more he panicked the more he regretted not waiting just another day, he could have gotten food another day. But he had been so hungry that the painful clawing of his stomach had driven him from the safety of the ward.

Gene breath grew short as he turned back to his legs, he pushed himself up into a sitting position and bit his lips to keep from crying out as his hips protested with terrible jolts of pain. He rubbed at his legs trying to force them to move, his rubbing did nothing and as the approaching footsteps grew louder and his panic rose to match the sound the pain began to feel distant, though his legs still refused to move, finally he gave up on his legs and attempted to pull himself back into the locker with just his arms, he needed to hide before whoever or whatever it was reached him. He did not want to be devoured alive simply because he had run out of food.

To say that life sucked lately would have been an understatement to boot for Akame. About a month and a half ago the first news of the outbreaks hit the news. Three weeks and it was in the country along with world wide mass panic since no cure had been found. Two weeks ago it had hit his home town thus putting him on the run and less than a week ago he had lost the only family he had left. So, life was one giant shit hole for him and not looking like it would get any better soon.

His two different tones eyes scanned around quickly as he moved through the halls. His knife in one hand and a gun in the other. The gun had no ammunition, but it was great for blunt force if he needed it. These creatures were hard to kill and he had figured out the only way to truly and effectively kill them was to some how sever the brain stem or just hit the brain. Akame had found this place earlier in the night but the creatures were less active in the day. So, waiting until morning he had been able to slip in. Lucky for him it seemed to be some sort of prison or mental hospital. On putting that together and the fact most places like this were made with locks on both the inside and out for riot reasons he had started to lock any window or door leading to the outside. Some rooms had broken windows and he had to think outside the box to secure them.

He had managed to secure six rooms so far when he heard someone well inside the building. So, far he had not run into any of the creatures, but that could change at any moment. Carefully he walked towards the sound wanting to make sure it was not a danger to him before he continued trying to secure the building. His sneakers making squeaking sounds on the floors.

Then as he moved he stopped at a door way hearing someone on the other side. Carefully he held his knife more firmly ready to defend himself if he had to. The door was un-locked and he put his gun away to get ready to open it. He could hear heavy breathing and knew it might be one of the monsters, because they often had a funny breathing pattern to them. Taking a deep breath in and holding it a moment he swung the door open spinning only to see another young man.

His two different colored eyes fell on the other human. Pushing his hair up with his free hand from his face the green dyed and blonde colored looks always in the way he had to think to processes what he was seeing. Human? Yes. Safe? Unknown. Was he crazy? God he hoped not. Seeing that the other was just as frightened as he was stunned he put his knife away and asked in English."You speak English?" He hoped this guy did not speak something else or this could get bad fast.

He closed the door once more in-case some of those freaks were walking around. From what he had been able to tell there was none or they had come here they were gone along with anyone else. Save this guy which he had no clue why unless he had been too scared to leave or maybe some how smart enough to live. No mater how Akame looked at it this was down right strange and something he did not aspect. He just stood there though waiting for an answer from the other.

"...Y-yes..." Gene answered after a terrified pause, his amber eyes wide as he kept the stranger in his sight. He did not trust the stranger not to hurt him after all. Strangers were always trying to hurt him. He was still shaking a little as he attempted to get to his feet without it seeming too obvious that he was vulnerable.

"...I don't have anything..." Gene said, a futile attempt to deter the stranger from lingering too long. Biting into his bottom lip he finally managed to get onto his shaky, pained legs and crossed his arms in front of his stomach each hand grasping the opposite elbow. He did his best to look at the stranger's face but he could never look for long before he looked at the stranger's feet instead.

The hospital had been ransacked before, scavengers looking for supplies, angry survivors that just wanted something to destroy, and even infected persons seeping in from unknown places and getting into everything no matter what he did. He was so tired of all of it and he was always so afraid, but the people were crueler than the infected were, after all the infected only wanted to eat.

Akame nodded his head then said. "You should not be just sitting around. It is dangerous these days. I would say at least make sure the door is locked next time." He then opened the door looking both ways then headed out into the hall to continue to make the building closed off. Going into one of the side rooms he noticed the window was busted but lucky him there was a near empty book case.

Keeping his knife at the ready he still carefully pushed the book case in-front of the window then kept going. The problem with this building was how big it was. He literately felt like it would take days to make safe. "This is going to take a long time." He sighed out and kept going from room to room. He had learned when finding others it was best to give them as much space as you could. Besides the guy had looked like he was going to pee his pants before he would attack him.

"...Why are you moving things?" Gene asked, his voice was soft and shaky as he followed after the stranger at a safe distance. He felt like his stomach had dropped out of him and turned to stone. The stranger was fortifying, he knew that because he had done the same multiple times before simply giving up.

"You don't have to move things." Gene knew that if the man thought it was safe or that he could make it safe that Gene would not be alone anymore. The thought alone terrified him. "Please, there's nothing here for you."

Gene began to chew on his lip as he watched the man move the book case. This was a bad idea, a terrible idea! This was also terribly unfair, where else was Gene supposed to go? He could not survive anywhere else! His breathing was coming short again and his chest felt as though someone were squeezing his heart in their bare hands. Making a rapid decision Gene decided to go back to the security of the patient ward and lock it behind himself. There was no way he was letting this trespasser push him out of his own home!

Akame blinked at Gene then said as he walked." You're a former inmate here right? Guess that's why you don't know. In short three months ago some virus went rapid through every country and turned people into cannibalistic monsters. The only way to stop them is by shooting the brain or breaking the spinal cord. If they bite you you're going to die end of story."

He locked another room off that had half a wall missing." If you or I are going to live we need to make sure this place is shut tight from them." Seeing the other was going into a panic he then said." Hey calm down I'm not going to kick you out or kill you. Not that kind of jerk."

Gene paused in his panic a little indignant that the man would assume that he was ignorant of what was going on. He knew! It was one of the reasons he never left the mental hospital, it was safer to just stay and it was not like he had anywhere to go.

"I know about all that. They're going to get inside no matter what you do." Gene said as he stood in the doorway watching the other man. "If it's not the monsters breaking in it's humans." Gene did not feel the need to actually verbalize the 'Like YOU' that was lingering on his tongue.

"...You can't kick me out anyway. You can't operate the locks." Gene informed him, quickly he stepped out of the room to avoid any attack that the man may try. Gene had learned that the last person one should trust is the one that tells you that you should. He decided to go back to the ward anyway, he did not feel comfortable lingering with the stranger.

Akame did not get angry in return he just stayed working on what he could do. He was determined to stay safe from the outside. The nut shit crazy kid would have to wait Akame could handle himself if he had to.

The place was a maze and he hated every second of it. The place smelt of blood and other things none of it good. He was having to back track several times to the mane hall so he could find his way around.

Gene had locked himself back into the patient ward, a long time had passed and it seemed to him that Akame had yet to exit the employee floor. From the second floor up was the patient ward after all. He wondered how the man was fairing and began to feel the first wisps of guilt begin to seep into his heart. The man had not really done anything to harm him so far and the ground floor was never very secure against intruders, monsters wandered in all the time.

Gene began to bite at his fingers and glanced over at the security door every so often. He wondered if the man would even make it to the patient ward. He tried to assure himself that the man had survived outside on his own for this long so surely he would be fine on his own downstairs. Still, the curiosity and concern nagged at him until he finally stood up with a sigh and went to the nurse's station. He would need to release the lock to get out, there was a time limit to get to the door before it locked again though. He needed to move quickly.

Akame was starting to grow tired due to not having a good sleep in several days and hunger. He looked around the floor and not spying any un-traveled halls he walked towards the stares. His feet felt like led had been put in his boots. He needed to sleep soon before he passed out.

Once on the second floor he noticed the set up was different which meant an entire new set of things to deal with. Grumbling he started to head down the path that did not looked locked off.

Gene peeked around the corner and wondered, not for the first time, if he should have gotten some kind of weapon for himself. There was a zombie standing in the hallway and he needed to get past it in order to get out of the second floor area, the stairs were in that direction and the only other way down was the elevator shaft that he did NOT want to use. That thing was terrifying and one slip meant certain death. Briefly he considered leading the zombie to the open shaft and pushing it in but there was simply too much room for error to go through with it. Gene was not exactly the most coordinated of people and messing about in front of death was not a brilliant idea.

Instead he took a deep breath and readied himself to sprint around the zombie, luckily for him they were never very fast and often extremely clumsy. As quickly as he could he rushed past the zombie lingering in the hallway and managed to reach the door to the next hall. He was a little surprised to see that the stranger had managed to make his way to the second floor. He paused to catch his breath, the lack of food and rest really getting to him.

Ah it is okay)

Akame heard running coming towards him holding his knife at the ready he stopped when he saw the other man. He relaxed a little though he noticed the other panting and asked him quietly. "You alright? Is there one inside? I got most of the first floor locked up but a few doors wont stay shut. Are the electronic?" He stopped when he heard something stumbling around staying alert. "Just when I think I can relax."

He felt bad for Gene realizing this guy had been locked up in here alone for some time. No wonder he did not like others. "Hey how about we work together for now at least until this place is safe for both of us. Then I'll leave you alone I promise I just want a place to get more than two hours of sleep."

"Y-yes...he's been there for a long time..." Gene replied managing to catch his breath and step a little away from the door. The zombie reached the door and began to slap his hands against it. Gene frowned at it and turned back to Akame to listen.

"...Mmm...y-yeah, I guess that would be okay..." Gene agreed somewhat hesitantly, Akame would need his knowledge of the hospital to navigate properly and not run into anything...well, awful. There were a few areas that were just deadly. Gene could not let him flounder about with a clean conscience. He decided to explain at least some of the hospital workings. "There's an emergency system that runs on electricity, some of the lights and all the locks run on the same emergency system..."

Akame nodded then walked to the door. Carefully he let it open then moving to the side as the zombie stumbled in he spun landing the knife in it's spinal cord. Then using his gun butt he hit it in the head several times. He pulled his knife out only when he was sure the thing was dead."I hate killing them but I guess it's better to end the suffering." He put his knife away after wiping it off.

He then looked back at Gene. "so how many are inside? Do you have any idea?" He shut the door again still listening to the other though. He had learned to stay alert and how to focus on several things at once.

"...Probably a lot...I usually section them off when there get to be too many of them...I know there are a couple of the big ones wandering around on the upper floors...I was too scared to kill them..." Gene admitted a little hesitantly, it was better that Akame knew and could prepare for it. "Sections B, D, and F are locked because they're full...Floor three and five have some of the big funny looking ones. They're easy to avoid if you know where everything is..."

Gene had gotten used to using the air duct system rather than the hallways in the case of emergencies. He was just skinny enough to get away with it.

Akame sighed hearing this. "Looks like the best thing to do is lock off the top floors and stay down here then I guess. Or are there things you need up there? The big ones seem to be smarter or at least harder to kill." He was not happy at all and he clearly needed sleep his eyes were blood shot and had dark rings under them. He clearly had lost weight as well. He felt bad for coming in on this guys place of safety, but he could not see a way around it.

"Not really...I mean there's medicine and medical supplies up there but...we probably won't need them since there's enough down here...We'll need food though which is back on the first floor." Gene explained, his voice was soft and uncertain as he fiddled with his fingers, his arms in front of his chest, an unconscious defensive gesture.

Akame nodded as the other spoke then asked."Can we lock off the other floors from them so they have no way of getting down here? Just to you know be sure." He rubbed his eyes and then waited for the answer though he also was pacing to try and clear his head. He smiled though thinking that this place could offer some shelter at least for a little while.

"Well, I locked them all up there a while ago. I think they think I'm still up there..." Gene was not sure how smart they were but they had not even tried leaving the other floors. Though he had locked them to be sure that they would not sneak up on him. The higher up one went the heavier the security doors were, they were meant to hold in the more violent of mental patients after all. "The doors are heaviest on the fifth floor since that's the top floor. It's where the criminally insane were kept...and where security was supposed to be the tightest."

Akame nodded understanding. "Okay... you have a place I can rest a bit? I am really tired." He then sat down on the floor and looked around the area just trying to think things through. He was hungry as well as he was reminded by his stomach making a loud rumbling sound.

"Yes...just through here." Gene instructed softly as he returned to the previous hallway. He walked quickly so that he could reach the doorway first, he needed to get the key from his hiding spot in order to open the door. He knelt down in front of a small vent and pulled the cover off of it quickly, he reached in and pulled out a keycard before placing the vent cover back quickly. He went back over to the door and slid the keycard into the lock and waited a few moments before pulling it back out and opening the door. He waited for Akame to enter so that he could lock the door again.

Akame fallowed at a slower pace he could tell the other was trying to hide something. Not thinking it was a key though he thought maybe it was some magazines or more along those lines. His boots making small squeaking sounds since they were wet with both water and maybe blood. He stopped when he caught up rubbing his eyes a few times then nodded his head in thanks going into the room. He knew trust some random boy he just met was not the smartest plan, but he had to at the moment.

The patient ward had a nurse station and two hallways with open rooms, each room with two beds meant for patients that needed watching but not guarding. Each room had its own bathroom, none of the patient rooms had locks on them however, not even the bathrooms. The guard station was a simple employee break room where the medication and food had once been stored. The food was gone but there was still quite a bit of medication locked up.

"You can pick any room except room eight, that one is my room." Gene told him letting the door go and walking over to the nurse's desk. He snuck the keycard back into the desk and pressed the lock button. The door made a loud buzz as it locked, they would not be able to leave again until Gene unlocked it, but nothing would be able to get in either, not without destroying the door.

Back
Top Bottom