Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Blank (Beautiful_Disgrace and I)

Her cheeks flushed again and she only grunted in response to his thanks before answering his question. "Go to the male dorms...the person in room number one manages where all the guys stay. He should be there right now."

"Right," Ian said after a moment, glancing at her again before grinning. "I owe you one, so my door is always open." He was starting to enjoy this feeling of power he got, these girls...were they all like this? Or was he just dreaming it?

You're better....so much better... What was that...? That voice, so soothing and warm. She wants you, she craves you...take her, she belongs to you. He had to wonder...was hallucinations normal? He had no idea, and he was starting to think that it wasn't just him losing his mind. That was the second, third? Time that he had heard it, and it sounded the same as the others.

His door was always open? What did he mean by that?! Ugh...what a frustrating, handsome guy. He just thought he was hot shit, didn't he? "Yeah yeah...well time to go." She told him as she moved over to the door and opened it. She needed some time to herself so she could figure out what she was feeling. She liked him but the question was why?

"I'm going, I'm going," Ian said, hands up in defeat as he headed towards the male dorms. She was the one who invited him, why was she so touchy? Still, that voice persisted faintly. Nothing clear, but soothing, tender whispers. He felt rejected, but he wasn't sure why...and that kind feeling seemed to radiate whenever he heard those soft murmurs against his ear. It seemed to come and go, but that last time was so painfully clear it...he didn't know what to feel about it.

Maybe it was just whatever they drugged him up with, or something. Yeah. Sure. He needed to find a place to crash, anyway.

The guy who managed the dorms was a nerdy looking fellow. Thick framed glasses, uniform pressed and tucked in neatly...and a completely goofy looking bowl cut hairstyle. Ian was a head taller than him and he had a difficult time looking him in the eye while he explained the rules of the dorms to him, including the part where females weren't allowed to visit after a certain hour.

He then closed the door only to reappear a few minutes later to hand him a key card that had the 16B scrawled on it in permanent marker. After that he disappeared behind his door again. He never even bothered to give him his name, or even seem remotely hospitable to the new student. But there was a reason for that...word traveled fast in District Zero it seemed.

"...Thanks," Ian said to a retreating form that felt about as apathetic as that Doctor Haas. No matter, he supposed it wasn't important. 16B, okay. Down the hallway he went, checking the numbers in line before he finally found the right one and swiped it. Well, at least some things were similar to the Ranger Barracks.

The moment he opened the door, the smell of heavy incense waved out of the room. It was dully lit, the light unstable which indicated that the source was a candle. The dorm was probably almost identical to Sieglindes, but it appeared to be a bit bigger mainly because it was meant for two people and not one.

In the middle of the living area was the candles in question that lit up the room. There were about ten total, all spread out among various spots of the room. In the middle was seemingly his roommate...naked and sitting on a zabuton. Really all Ian would be able to make out at first was long, mid back length hair and a slender body. From first glance it was easy to mistake his roommate for a woman...but that mistake was corrected when they finally turned around.

"Well, a knock would have been nice." The teenager said, his tone laced with annoyance.

"...Duly noted," Ian sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. This wasn't going to work. "Sorry, I just got told to get a key. I didn't get much more instruction besides that, I'm not exactly sure how...this place works." Best way to meet his roommate was to see everything about his roommate. Ugh, this had not been a good day. "Look, dude...I just want to lay down." he admitted. "Alright?"

"You don't have very good manners, do you?" Whisper asked inquisitively before he turned his back to Ian. That bastard Raymond...he threatened to give him a roommate but he didn't think he would actually do it. He'd have to have a talk in the morning with that loser...he was too high ranked to keep being stuck with the newcomer trash. "The door to your left is where you can sleep. If you don't mind, I'm going back to meditating."

"Yeah, thanks," Ian grumbled. Ass. Whatever. He opened the door to his left and promptly hit the bed with a miserable sigh. Far, far better than a Ranger bed. Or maybe he was just exhausted. All he wanted to do was sleep and not worry about anything. He'd deal with the particulars after he got some sleep. He didn't so much as shut his door before he was getting some rest. It was...honestly the most fitful rest he had ever felt. He had never been a good sleeper, his thoughts were always plagued by things he never understood...but now, now all he felt was comfort. Relief even. He was remembering some long forgotten song, sung in a gentle, motherly voice.

I miss you...I miss you so much...

Ian's eyes snapped open, blood red matching the obnoxious red of the digital clock situated on the table next to him. Five thirty in the morning...he sat up, rubbing his face a moment as he decided to get a shower. Well, a new day...with new rest, and hopefully less confusion.

Whisper hadn't left the living room, but at least now he was clothed...mostly. A pair of black sweatpants was the only thing he was wearing. He had waken up when he heard his new roommate shuffling around. He didn't particularly have an interest in him, but then again had heard some rumors while prowling around last night after meditating. This new guy supposedly had a hundred percent compatibility rate, but he didn't actually believe that. Must have been some malfunctioning equipment in the lab.

Ian was kind of disturbed that the clothes he had found had fit him perfectly, but he wasn't going to complain. They were bog standard clothing, and it made him feel more like an outcast than he already did. He was content to start breakfast, grateful there was at least some familiarity in how the rooms were built.

"Good morning," Ian said casually. "Breakfast?"

"Too early..." Whisper began as he closed his eyes and stretched out on the couch like a cat. "Also I don't keep that refrigerator stocked very well so good luck finding something." It was a pain really, he'd rather just go buy stuff to eat rather than making it.

"...I noticed," Ian said, as he opened the fridge. Well, he had...milk. That was...nice. And eggs. Wonderful. Terrific. "Well, there goes that idea, then...sorry we didn't get to really introduce ourselves properly. I'm Ian." This guy seemed like a dickhead, but nothing he hadn't dealt with before.

"Ian..." He repeated in a monotone manner. "So you are that new guy people are talking about. Forgive me for not believing that rampant rumor of a hundred percent compatibility. Adrian's a smart girl, but she's also naive...surprised she even wanted people to know there was someone here who had an even better compatibility rate than her. So interesting." He was slightly curious about this guys abilities, but he didn't actually want to sully his hands on some unworthy backwater boy from Ranger Camp. Perhaps he'd follow him around and see who was actually willing to challenge him.

"You got me," Ian admitted. "I'm about as much in the dark as you are, to tell you the truth." But he didn't feel any different, that was the nagging, uncomfortable feeling that kept crawling down his skin. Like he had suddenly found out that his entire life was a lie, and he never even knew it. And with all these weird dreams lately...he didn't know what to make of it, and he sure as hell wasn't talking to a doctor about it. All of them seemed like they were slightly unhinged, maybe they were...maybe everyone was here. It was kind of hard not to be, he thought.

Whisper's tone, however...that was something he was growing to increasingly dislike with every passing syllable out of his mouth.

"Ignorance is bliss." Whisper purred as he sat up. "Well since you don't seem to know anything, perhaps it is time time to learn something today. Today is the start of mating season...do you know what that means?"

"...In the biological sense, yes," Ian said dryly, glancing at him. "But what does that mean for here, exactly? Seiglinde mentioned something about it, people get paired up?"

Seiglinde actually talked to this guy? Well it didn't matter...even though she carried herself as an A rank compatibility she was still an average, nothing special C rank. Still...he was already getting too much attention. "Yes...but there's an unofficial process that the entire academy goes through. The staff pretends to look the other way, but we all know they are watching. Analyzing...and they use their data to consider us for pairings."

"By 'data'..." Ian said casually. What, they watched them flirt and pick up each other? The clinical effectiveness of all of this kind of made his skin crawl, but it wasn't like Eden didn't have various incentives for not having children or aiding in a population boom. This just...it felt different, in ways that he didn't understand. And he was getting real tired of 'not understanding' things. "So, they're going to watch us try to hit on each other?"

"Quite literally." Whisper said with a smirk. "We fight...it's honestly the only way low ranking individuals are even considered in the mating season. Sometimes we have to prove ourselves to be picked...and this year I'm going to prove that I have what it takes to sire a child with the very highest ranking girl at the Academy at the moment." He had at least two children now, not that he ever saw them. But he didn't even know the names of the girls he was with...because he felt like he was worthy of better women. No...he was worthy of only the best.

"Really," Ian said with a faint chuckle. "Well, I guess Rangers aren't too much different, are they?" They didn't have to be so picky, but the CO's were strongly encouraged to 'monitor' potential choices. You never knew, really. "And just how are you going to do that?"

"Well," Whisper began thoughtfully. "I just have to defeat the man who is most likely to get paired with her. Assuming he doesn't get defeated on his second day here." He smirked. He wasn't stupid. These little rumors implied that Ian would be assigned to Adrian and probably the other highest ranking girls. Whisper wouldn't let that happen...he'd prove that all of this nonsense about one hundred percent compatibility wasn't true.

The look that Whisper gave him made Ian turn to look at him back, before he rolled his tongue around in his mouth. This was going to be a problem, wasn't it? He was at a distinct disadvantage here, and he hadn't had the time to actually learn much other than he was just built of tougher stuff. Was he really going to have to just fight people so he could be left alone? He still hadn't even figured out what the hell was going on, just that he was special...according to Doctor Haas.

"Fine," Ian relented with a sigh. "Tell me what I need to do, to get this mess over with."

"You misunderstand. This is how it will always be...the only way people will leave you alone is if you make an example of someone. If you want the privilege of being respected in Eden, then you have to prove your worth and establish yourself on the food chain. Like I have." Whisper wasn't the strongest, but he was the fastest. He made quick work out of all of his challengers thus far, but until now he had been lazy and content with being left alone. This year he would fight.

Back
Top Bottom