Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Help Me Buy a New Laptop!

Rudolph Quin

Mistaken for some sort of scoundrel
Withdrawn
So, 7 years ago, someone else bought me the laptop I am currently using and that person is dead to me now and I am surrounded by computer illiterates(being one myself, as well).

I need a new one but I have no idea what do.

So, please, anybody who knows this shit better than I do, please help!

What I need:

Something to write on.
Access to internet.

That's really it. I am not a gamer and I have a different computer that I do artwork on(but doesn't have access to the internet). I don't download anything and have no desire to, since, so long as I have access to wifi, why the hell would I need to? All I really do is keep documents on it and the miscellaneous photo uploaded from my camera.

So, I just need something that I can set in my lap while I recline, something that can handle watching movies online but basically just an internet accessed type writer.

I have no brand loyalty, so, please, help me find something affordable that fits this description and will last me at least the next 5 years.

You just described a Chromebook. They're of limited usefulness to someone like me, but it's literally tailor-made for exactly your purposes.

I agree with Trygon.

If your budget is in the $300 dollar range, I'd go with the Toshiba Chromebook II. Coming in at around 3lbs, with a goregous 13 inch display, it's pretty good for the money. It has very accurate colors, and surprising brightness too. The audio is also pretty top-notch, able to pump out sound loudly and clearly thanks to some Skullcandy (they've recently acquired Astro, for you audiophile naysayers) technology built in. You'll get about seven to nine hours of battery life out of it. If you want something to last you the next five years, I'd say it's a good investment.

This is the article I've referenced: http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/toshiba-chromebook-2

Thank you for the suggestions and the specifics, you both. Like I said, looking at the wall of options, I'm clueless on "what is right for my needs" and "what is too much/overboard" and everywhere I looked, it really sounded like someone was trying to sell me something. Because they were.

So, again, thank you.

I'm going to second getting a Chromebook. The only other option I'd suggest if all you're doing is writing and connecting to the internet, would be a tablet, which you can get as low as 200 .. but that really depends on WHAT you use the internet for, since some things won't work on a tablet .. such as playing games on Pogo or Facebook.

I have an Asus TF700, a little older of a Tablet - but a good one. By purchasing a little app called 'Puffin' I am capable of doing Facebook games - and a variety of other things that are usually reserved for certain operating systems and attachments.

I would suggest looking into a Tablet, as it fits all of your needs - docking bays can be bought with them (sometimes) or separately, but together the tablet and Docking bay are usually no more than 400ish - depending on the kind of tablet you get. Most docking bays will have a small touch keypad, and a USB slot... you can play games on them that are from the Google play store - and enjoy several of the same things you would with a laptop. Most tablets and docking bays come with a 'slot' of which you can insert SD cards and increase your tablets capabilities. (Make sure to format them first, before using them, the SD cards that is.) - Also, most Tablets have much longer battery life than laptops - and they are easier to just get up and go with. If your docking bay has a USB slot you can easily plug in an external harddrive and just have any possible space you might ever need.

Hopefully that helps.

Okay, so, Chromebook: 3 ; Other: 1

I think that is what I might go for. Going to put the money down on it soon, so, just double checking with a bump.

I'd go for a tablet but I do not like the touch screen or the additions capabilities. Don't fix it if it's not broken and the way I've been doing things is how I prefer. I know compac isn't feasible, I heard they don't make them anymore, so, something as close to what I've got is what I'd like.

Anyway, thank you for those who have offered input so far. Really helped me big time.

Back
Top Bottom