Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Brink ((Dark and Alu))

Dark_Times

Star
Alex had been running all his life, but that was his job. He was a runner, a messenger, one of those who chose to fight the system. Though times were getting harder and most of the runners were being forced to disappear or just switch sides. Alex had sworn to himself that he would never turn against his friends, and he was about to have his will tested like never before.

He was out with a partner today, some young hotshot who called himself November. As they stood atop the city's main bank watching the city below for signs of police Alex looked over at November, "Lets get one thing straight, I don't like new runners, they tend to make a lot of mistakes and that might get us killed, so just to tell you, if you screw up today, I'm leaving you out here".

November glanced over at him and smiled arrogantly before preparing to jump, that's when the heard it. The hollow sound of a police chopper, "Shit!" Alex turned to run the other way but the door to the roof burst open and out came a full squad of riot police. As he raised his hands and backed towards the edge he saw November walk over and shake hands with one of the officers, "You son of a bitch!".

Before he could curse the kid anymore he heard the loud crack of a gunshot, the pain came shortly after along with the sensation of falling. As he glanced around, he found that he was actually falling, well, he thought, this is a strange way to end the day. He felt the thud and give of the large pad he landed on, the runners had set them up to soften the fall from larger heights, and this one may have just saved his life. He prayed that there was someone else in the area, this was not how he wanted to die.

Calder been coming back from another job wondering where all the cops where. It had been too easy they had to be out on a raid or a bust. What did he care every one knew why most of the runners where doing there jobs to prove to the world they where heros sticking it to the man. Fact is he hated what the man had become but wasn't content with transferring words from one group of lazy thinkers to the next. If things where to change it would have to come through force. But he would have to wait to play his role in this ugly game. He needed answers to a question.

Calder came to a stop when heard the gun shots. Running to the edge of the roof he was on he saw a face from his nightmare. The hatred was boiling up as he saw the runner fall from the roof of the building landing on a bad as he watched to see if the runner was ok he felt a cold barrel on the back of his head. Calder slowly brought his hands up as he did he felt the barrel shake a smile spread on his face this cop was green. In a very practiced motion he moved to the side turning griping the rifle sending the stock into the mans face. With a second hit he knocked him off the other side of the roof. Within time frame of 5mins there where three dead cops and a police chopper flying hard to get November back to the station.

When he reached the downed runner he helped him to safety leaning him against the wall.

"Why was november here ?" he asked the runner his voice that of pure hate.

Alex coughed and spat out a small amount of blood, "They assigned him to me, said he'd switched sides, I didn't want to trust it, now I know why". He looked at the bloody hole in his shoulder, "Aw fuck, how am I gonna run with this", he froze, "We have to move, now!". He dropped from the pad and skidded around behind a vent, dragging Calder with him, moments later a second chopper could be heard approaching. "Thank god for that good only instinct", he smiled weekly and pushed himself to his feet as the chopper left, "Right, where the nearest runner friendly hospital?".

The city had gone to hell and everyone knew it, but they'd never really admit it, the only way this was ever gonna be fixed as if it all burned down.

Calder sticks his finger into the hole moving it around searching. "What where you two running?" . As the wound started to bleed even more he knew he would have to work fast. He hit pay dirt and in a second his knife was out and in the hole digging the slug out. The runner was screaming in pain as he pulled the round out of him. He smiled as he started to bandage him up he pulled him to his feet and soon he dragging him back to the nearest safe hospital. "Shit you'd never have made it in the military kid". Calder could almost feel the runner look at him with distrust. "Good distrust every one but I am taking you to help."

He stuck his hand into his bag and pulled out a detonator, "I may not be soldier material, but I get trusted with better shit than the others", he show it briefly before putting it back. "That there is part of the revolution, we are gonna start fighting back big time now buddy", his eyes darted left and right as he spoke, "By the way, your not from here are you?". If the other runner had been from this district he would have known who Alex was, hell around here he was the closest thing you go to a celebrity.

"No im not from around here what are you some hot shot hero" Calder asked helping the other runner toward the safe hospital. "Don't get to excited while force is need become a hero and you get people killed" His eyes saw the flash of the scope pushing the two of them behind a vent having the first round slam through the thin metal landing right between them. Not waiting for the next round he grabs the fellow runner bursting through a door. Soon they where running through a office building soon coming to a window with the safe hospital just across the street. He looks the runner in the eyes. "If I learned one thing in the teams its things never happen by chance. You have a major piece to a bomb, November one of there top intel guys and the cops getting the jump on and shooting some hotshot runner?" He looks out the window then back at him. "Can you jump ?"

Alex had to admit, this runner was good, as they ran through the office he grabbed a paper-weight from a desk and hurled it at the window in front of them as he spoke, "Course, so long as I don't need my damaged shoulder", Alex flung himself through the now empty window frame and pulling a pistol from his bag put a round through a window of the opposite building on the next floor down. "That window there is where I land, if I miss I die, if I land wrong, I'll most likely die", he spoke to himself as the window came rushing up to meet him. He hit the ground rolled on his good shoulder and crashed against a wall back first.

Calder was soon landing inside the window. His body hitting a bed falling over him. The noise bringing in a female Dr who walks over to Alex helping him up she looks over to Calder. "Little Bro I see your still getting into trouble." She says with a smile as Calder stands up pushing the bed off walking To Alex's bag pulling out the detonator. "little sis any way you can say this runner was found dead from a fall?" She gives her brother a worried look " Calder are you insane I know what they did to you but stop your going to end up dead. For me for them!" She says as she starts to dig into Alex's wound. "You know why Im doing this better than any one are you asking me to let it go?" He ask his sister in a gentle voice keeping his anger down. "Fuck no but this loan wolf shit is going to get you killed and these kids need solders like you to teach them to fight!" She says her anger taking over as she jams her fingers in hard causing Alex pure pain. Calder drops the detonator next to Alex. "Fine. I will be back just need air" Calder storms off. The Dr pulls her finger out and slams a needle into the sore skin soon she is finished cleaning the wound she looks at him. "There you will be fine just try and keep it clean"

Alex ground his teeth during the procedure and picked up the detonator with his good arm, "Put on the television, find the chiefs speech", he turned on the detonator but left the kill-switch shut for now. "I have a feeling his little publicity stunt is going to end with a bang", he smiled at his joke before climbing to his feet.

Across the city the bombs under the main police tower went active, the officers that had helped plant them would not be given a warning. They were proof that the system was losing, and that would just cause them to fight back harder, make sure they killed the runners. Alex would not let that happen.

Calder stormed out on the roof looking around trying to figure out his next move. There was only one he had to make the chief talk find out where November was and bring the wrath of god down on him. His feet start to pound away as he began to run quickly moving from roof to roof. There where no cops any where but where are they all. His answer came to him as he stopped a roof right next to the station. The bastard was giving a speech and there was november standing right next to him. He couldn't believe his luck all he had to do was wait this out and strike when every one was on there way out. A plan had started to form when with a loud explosion the world went white hot then black.

He wasn't sure how long he had been out all he knew was that the building had given in at some point and he was now digging his way out. As he stepped out the sun was blacked out the world around him had gone to hell he stepped on the torso of some unlucky soul. The gore never phased him hell he had caused much worst. He saw the madness the cops weren't trained for this. Calder saw the body parts of the chief and November anger swelled inside of him.

30 mins passed and he was back at the hospital grabbing Alex slamming him into the wall. "You all think your so fucking smart don't you? Well think about this what has this attacked done ? Proved that they are no longer safe from you little brats?" He throws Alex to the floor "Here are the facts you just killed them pissing them off even more you don't know a damn thing about there command structure or who there true allies are! Fact two you killed two of your greatest assets of info and political leverage in the Chief and November!" He kicks alex hard in the side throwing a doll at him. " Fact three you killed civilians today what do you think will happen when the world see those dead women and children on the knews you think you just might lose allot of support ?" He turns looking at his sister "They want to fight a war but they need to grow the fuck up first!" She looks at him a smile on her face. "I guess I will have to teach them. what is your name kid?" He looks at Alex .

Alex remained silent during Calder's fit, he stood when asked his name and dusted himself off with a slight flinch as he brushed his wound. "Alexander Stone, director of ATC spec ops", he chuckled, "Well, ex director, seeing as I'm technically dead now". He pulled out his gun and removed the clip to check it, "Hmm nine bullets, nine more payments to avenge my brother".

ATC troops had swarmed over the bomb site, removing all evidence for 'inspection'. Within an hour the site was almost clear along with the bodies. ATC's new director had the same initiatives as Alex had, destroy the system.

Calder looked Alex in the eyes. "Look I don't know why you pulled this stunt and I hope you have a damn good plan." He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a sim card hands it to Alex. "But if you want a war your going to need this info its the names and Identity that is working or has worked with black Ops" He sees the look in Alex's face. "Like you I lost some one close to me well two I soon walked out of the teams but I kept this info and i have contacts around the world." He pulls out a FNP-40 checks the pistol and slides it back into the holster on his back hidden under his clothes. "I know solders both infantry and Spec ops ready to fight you let me bring them in and we can train your people. I only want one thing let me take down the people that crossed me!" Calder holds out his hand." Deal ?"

Alex touched his ear, it would seem to be an innocent gesture to anyone unaware of what was going on. "Yes, I understand, destroy anything linking us to the scene, and suppress any news that counters that of my demise, I must have that advantage over them".

He looked at Calder, "My men are all trained and ready to fight, in fact I myself have defended this city for years, the police sometimes use my people, though all those missions were scrubbed due to total fatality rates". He laughed, "I will help you, but just so you know, I don't take orders, only my brother ever told me what to do". He shook Calder's hand and his face went cold, "Bring him to me, I'll be at the old subway station downtown".

Calder couldn't help but smile as he reaches into his pocket pulling out a pack of cigs. "Then I will just make sure I pull the trigger faster." He lights a cig starting to smoke. "So who is the bad school boy that is going to the office?" His eyes stare straight into Alex's as the smoke starts to gently fill the air between them/

Alex laughed, "My men discovered a survivor in the ruins of the police station, they are bringing him to a more secure location for questioning". He put his gun and the detonator in his bag and moved towards the door, "Your welcome to come along with me, but I'll be using the streets to get there".

Calder stands there looking at Alex for a second before stepping in line with Alex. "So how far do we have to go? and what exactly do you have planned" He ask smoking his cig ever watching the people walking around them never trusting. He knew there were people out there that wanted him dead as much as he wanted them dead.

Alex stopped in front of a lift and hit the down button, "Just have a pleasant conversation with the man, and if he refuses, then I may need to be a bit more forceful". He pulled up his hood and turned his head away as the lift doors opened, there was nobody inside so he stepped in keeping the hood up.

"What got you into running?", he stared at the doors after pressing the ground floor button, he didn't look at Calder, Alex never really looked at people when he spoke to the.

Calder leans back against the wall of the lift pulling out a Bench made blade and starts to clean his nails. "Two years ago I was crossed by the people that where meant to be my allies." He flick the blade closed and thrust it back into his pocket in one motion. "I swore revenge on them a year later and the world was a changed place as you know total government control." A smile flashed on his face. "what people don't know where the military forces where forced out and replaced by mindless drones. Simple fact is now the mindless drones are fighting a secret war against the former solders with the former spec ops leading this fight." His eyes watch the door as it opens. "One thing we have always known is never trust any one so when the runners started we had to get people on the inside and when I heard November had taken a interest in them I was quick to join up."

Alex nodded, "You're committed then, wonderful, I will assume I can trust you around me for now, don't prove me wrong on that", he pulled the hood down to hide the top of his face from view, with that he stepped out of the lift and moved calmly towards the street. He brushed past an officer who had given him trouble many times, this time he moved on unnoticed. He reached the street outside and turned into an alley on the left of the building and pulled open a drain cover.

Calder just walks out following alex blending in with the crowds. "Im thinking I can trust you.* He reaches in and pulls out a second cig and starts to smoke breaking off to trail Alex not to be caught incase the shit hits the fan. Soon they where moving down the ally the cig lighting Calders face*

Alex looked down into the darkness, "Meet you at the old central station, the abandoned one", he dropped his hood and put in an earpiece, "See you on the other side". He dropped down into the sewers and broke into a run along the huge pipes, the top levels were for storm water so it was ok to use them. He hopped a cross pipe when his earpiece crackled to life, "He's refusing to speak sir, what should I do?".

"Wait for me, I'll tell him about a few things he might not know", he shut off the earpiece before jumping out of a pipe about twenty foot above a large pool of water. His landing was slightly off and his shoulder stung from it but that didn't slow his arrival, he jogged into the old station tunnels minutes later. "Where's the other runner?", he said to one of his men as he approached the man tied to a pillar.

He walks down the ally moving with trained pace. If any thing he has learned in his years in the teams its sometimes best to be slow in your approach. As he walks up to the station he cuts through a hole in the fence drawing his FNP-40 flicking on the tactical light he enters the back. His combat boots silent as he makes his way through finally entering the main room having a gun drawn on him by a runner who didn't know who he was. Side stepping the runner he grabs his wrist slamming it the wall forcing him to drop his 9mm glock in a Calder had his FNP-40 to the runners throat . "Um Alex call off the dogs"

A loud gunshot echoed throughout the station, all eyes turned to Alex ,"Fall in", he called. The armed guards moved in to hear him, some coming out of strange hidden places, "This is Calder, he will be working with us for a while, you will show him the respect he shows you, and try to make sure its some amount of respect".

He then turned his attention to the man in front of him, "Now Colonel, tell me the de-activation codes, and then you can run home to your mommy", the man opened his mouth to speak but Alex cut him off, "Before you say anything look around you". Strung from the ceiling were rotting corpses and skeletons, "Those were people who made snide comments towards my rather than telling me what I asked".

Calder steps forward and looks at the man tied to the chair. "He looks like a man not easily scared might be better if we just drilled a hole through the back of his kneecap" The man tied to the chair gave him a very worried look a smile on calder's face . "brust his knee caps so badly they never heal back and he is in pain the rest of his life!" He looks at alex just a Idea and I kinda want to hurt some one its been over all a shitty day.

Alex looked from the man in front of him and then over at Calder, "Somebody get him the tools he needs".

"They will find you, you'll kill me before I tell you anything, and they will find you", he smiled for a moment before Alex's fist caught him across the mouth.

"I know you, I know your family, my men trained you and your old squad, resilient as you may be, you still don't recognise me...", Alex laughed quietly, "Director Stone", a name known throughout the city that still brought fear to the hearts of generals and government officials alike.

The men closest to Alex laughed as well, seeing the change in the man's expression would be funny to anyone. "Doesn't it hurt to realise that even the elite of your world are on our side?".

Back
Top Bottom