Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Eclipse First Drops(open)

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Merlyn

Super-Earth
No one ever sees the world the same way. As I write these thoughts down, the candles do little to keep out the cold, and the stone walls are not of comfort. Perhaps if my family had been royalty I would not be here. I would have grown up in a life or riches and not a care in the world. Instead I am this creature who's only goals are the corpses at my feet in battle. It is so overwhelming, that I have to lock myself away from the people, least an innocent should perish at my blade. The days pass but only a flicker of light tells me their cycles. This marks day 120.

Setting down the quill, I brush aside the wooden stool as I stand. A few stretches and exercises to shake off the weariness. I reach for a small black cloak and wrap it around my shoulders Though a few of my scars are still visible. My ice shade eyes peer out the bars down a dark corridor. Other men in their sells stare at the walls, a few maybe dead. No one takes notice until the cell needs to be used again. At the end a lone watchman.

"Guard, I wish to be released, rumors of war are abound, and that is the only time I should be truly free."

A simple guard, hardly fit to swing a sword drags his feet before reaching my cell. Those cracks of light allow me to listen to the people and their concern. Indeed war is coming. But are we attacking or being attacked? I am unsure.

"You have high friends, a shame they put you in such low places. What will you do now? "

The gate swings open with a creak and I step out.

" I put myself here, what I do is not your concern."

Turning I head towards the stairs. My things are above all the others. Fine boots and trousers. A simple button up shirt to match the night and my weapons. A sword and two daggers all on a belt. I still take the dusty cloak. Not many know me, I wish to keep it that way. Climbing the stairs I exit into the daylight and soon join the merchant crowds.

Asphodel has heard that war was brewing. He feared much of this, however it is inevitable. Soon, the king would sure to call him to participate.

He went to his table where a handsome doll stood. He picked him up and said, "Lightstream, I fear that it is time that your powers would be called to action once more. Protect the country just as you did the past centuries." The inert doll didn't show much reaction if he heard his master's words or not, just a twinkle in his eyes.

Her face flashed before my eyes. Where did she go? Why did she leave? So many faces in the crowds. In the right light they all look like her. But then the dream is shattered.

Pulling my cloak tighter I moved as a shadows among the invisible. Death is coming and the lands and its people prepare. A few merchants argue over prices and wares. Why care about such small things when it can all be lost in a moment. Dust collects around the edges of my cloak. I never liked the desert lands of this country. Still I must move onward. If not to fight, then I meet a slow death, like a star burning out instead of exploding. To simply fade away, to leave no memory that you were ever here. What could be worse? Her.

Finally an opening and I move towards the towering castle.

When I wake the sun is already high and bright, no surprise since my work took me to nearly the break of day. I stretch and yawn, all lithe body and supple curves, as soft sheets flow off my naked body as I consider the day ahead. Things went well last night, well enough that I won't need to work again for quite some time. Of course there are needs and there are wants and I know I will soon grow bored and look for another mark simply to while the time away, like a cat toying with a mouse. First though is breakfast and I make my way to the merchant sector, the sounds of commerce droning away as if their's were the most important dealings in all the land.

The sun has burned the chill from the morning as I make my way among the various vendors at the fringe of the market. While I have plenty of coin, I nick some fruit and cheese more out of habit than necessity. All the activity in plain site is a bore to me. It isn't even a challenge stealing from the likes of them. It is the shadows that tend to draw my attention and today there is a particularly interesting shadow. His sense of purpose draws me into his wake and it seems like much of the rest of the world stands still as we make our way towards the castle. I keep my distance though, he gives off an aura of danger and menace that is almost palpable. I am by no means defenseless but I have been around enough to know to look before leaping. I get the feeling that the only thing more dangerous than being this man's enemy is being his friend.

I turn my head and gaze right into the of woman whose beauty and...fire are almost mythical. One heart beat. That's all I allow myself. I can not lust for the pain at the end is living in hell itself. Women and their ways. I have learned my lesson...or have I?

Enough. I shake my head and march up the stone steps. The two guards move to block my path I gesture at them as if brushing off a fly. They move. A scowl crosses my face as my other hand releases my sword hilt. The giant doors part with ease against my strength. Soon my feet are clicking against the tile floor. Light pours in from outside. Servant and counsel move like insects in the throne room. A wolf raises its head at my approach. " Hello Juno." I say. Many wars we fought together. I kneel. An elderly man raises his hand and I rise with it.

King Eckbart peers down at me. " Victor you are the blackness on the battlefield. But for the mission you are the death in the shadows. If thus war happens it would cost the crown far too much. You must kill those who speak against us. All who have faced you in battle are dead you don't have to hide but do not advertise that you kill for me. Most still think your a sell sword. Go to the lands in the east. Listen to the rumors they will tell you who to kill. God speed."

He nods his head and an hour later I am back in the day light hustling down the stairs. Finally. Blood.

It takes a fair amount of skill to follow without being observed. I pride myself on that skill and few are better at it. He seems so intent upon his destination it is almost too easy. Or so I thought. Without warning he turns and looks right at me. I feel almost stunned as he seems to look me right in the eyes. I freeze like a prey animal before a predator, so unusual as it is I usually doing the hunting. He had no reason to even think I was back here but somehow he sensed me. It is unnerving to say the least. I should flee, forget I ever saw him, surely I am too small a fish to be worth his time to pursue.

He continues to the castle, leaving me standing and wondering, my heart pounding in my chest. The guards do not seem to challenge him and he leaves my sight. As if a spell was broken I feel like I can breath again. Growing up I was often told my curiosity would be the end of me. This seems to be one of those times since despite my fear I can't help but want to know more about him. I cannot follow him into the castle, sure there are other ways in, but the risk is too high and he has sapped my confidence for the moment. Instead I climb up onto one of the high walls of the bridge leading to the castle. From my vantage point I can see when he comes out again. My own inner voices debating the wisdom of staying and watching. There is nothing to gain and oh so much to lose, at least that is my brain's side of the debate. Some other part...my heart perhaps? I laugh inwardly, no, certainly not love....closer to lust maybe. Regardless of the reason my brain loses the argument and I wait.

Who to attack? "Listen to the rumors." he said. I didn't like being around people and as I surveyed the market place it became obvious why. Stupid people with little aim or even direction in their lives. They would die faceless and nothing left behind of note. How could people live this way I wondered?

I loosened my cloak for the sun had become very hot, and I have a long journey on my way. Politics were never my thing. I'd rather have open battle, but I will obey. Breathing in the air I close my eyes for a second. Should I go alone?

Leaning up against a wall I watch a pair of soldiers move to and from the castle. How prepared they are tells me how serious this possible war could be. I do have to move fast, but would it not be better to have an alley? Then again they can slow you down.

"What to do, what to do." I mummer to no one other than myself.

I must be crazy to wait here for the kind of trouble he most certainly represents. Not that my life is without risks, certainly many of my marks would kill me for what I took from them. I have also taken lives, nothing personal, just jobs for the most parts. The only people I would ever really describe as enemies live in another kingdom and I barely know them. Only that they killed my mother and might as well have killed my father. He fled with me here, his only reminder of his love, but the loss had destroyed his soul and he died a few short years later a broken man. Since then I have been on my own, making my way with my natural talents and the skills my master had taught me.

My master would have certainly told me to steer clear of this one. No profit there, only chaos and death from the looks of him as he comes out of the castle. The fury and danger are still there, but the direction seems, confused. I should leave well enough alone, but I never was one to let trouble pass me by. I slip down off the wall not far from where he leans. His proximity only highlights his strength as I can almost feel his power as I draw near. He is distracted but still I am cautious, I feel the familiar twitch of my fingers as if I am getting ready to lift his coin purse. It would seem easy as he stands there muttering to himself, but that is what I thought about following him undetected. He proved a bit more sophisticated than I thought, and he didn't seem to be the kind of man who would simply turn me over to the authorities if he caught me.

I take a breath and move away from the wall. I'm not in the mood to confront her. There are so thieves it wouldn't matter. " if you want to get I might be able to use you." I say to her. For what I'm not sure but I decided since she might be following me anyways I'd give her a clearer view. Perhaps she scout and gather info? Made seduce and lure guards? I look over her body she has what it took that's for sure .

The forest ahead isn't far. I have all I can take. I will hunt pilliage and gather on my way. Watching for soldiers and messanger birds. "If you continue to follow instead of join me, I consider you a target. Let's go." I turn away and move forward through the crowds into the wild

Some urges are just too strong to resist, despite the risks they entail. "What makes you think I want to go with you?" I ask, my tone a bit more confident than I truly feel. Our shared look makes me think we both know I am bluffing, that I want to go but I'm really not ready. I only came out today for breakfast. I have things to pack, others to 'secure', I can't just head off into the wilderness at the drop of a hat.

"I don't have my things...." I doubt you are one to deal with excuses and more than likely would simply leave me behind if I presented the slightest inconvenience. I know you will need more convincing so I continue "...besides...you don't have any gold." I flash a smile as I hold out your coin pouch, neatly taken from your belt. I toss it once up in the air and catch it, giving you a moment for recognition. "I'll be at the Rose and Crown in an hour." I turn and run for my life, wondering if I should really dare to show myself as promised.

She's good. I actually didn't know she took it. I watched her run down the street like it was my turn to follow her. Funny girl. "You want to go, because you were following me." The joke is on her. Did she really expect me to carry my gold on my belt? In a city where thieves are as clear as day for those who know how to look? A smile crosses my face. The pouch does contain coin, but copper. Used to pay beggars for information.

I will meet here there. I should just go, its not like she's going to anything more then something ill lust after. Relationships don't end well that loneliness is a weight I have carried far too long. Against my better judgment I head to the inn she mentioned. I have nothing to collect so perhaps a drink before I go.

The inn is small but well populated. Noise, laughter,music fills the air. A smell of meat in the air. I signal the bar tender. A tall lanky man. "Whisky." The amber liquid fills a mug, swirling it I take a sip and wait.

As I get to my room I know I don't have much time and there is much to pack and decisions to be made. I get my best tools, light and compact and made from the finest materials with a jeweler's precision. Weapons...small blades of course, I do expect my new 'friend' to clear the path, something to kill at a distance of course. I choose the small crossbow, discreet and accurate and with bolts coated with just the right something as accurate as a larger weapon. I won't hold off an army with it but I can kill without being put at too much risk. I don't expect I will be the one doing much of the killing though, which makes me wonder just what will be expected of me?

My travelling clothes I wear, dark but light fabric so I can hide but not die of exposure in the desert. A few simple changes of underclothes and a more feminine outfit just in case it is needed. Soon I have my small pack set to go, it will likely make my shoulders ache the first day or two but nothing too cumbersome. Some water and provisions and I should be ready to meet my fate. I only look in the coin pouch as an afterthought, 'copper' I say with a light laugh. Well he is at least smarter than the average merchant, which isn't saying much but at least I have not thrown in with a complete neophyte.

I slip into the Rose and Crown quietly, making sure I see him before he sees me. I watch him pay the bartender...'ah so that is where he keeps it' I say to myself. In any event, my gamble seems to have paid off. This time I make sure he feels my fingers as I slip them towards his coins, stopping just short. "So did you come to take me along or to retrieve your coppers?"

Late in the day, as Asphodel was in his study, digging into books, a messenger came with news that he was being summoned by the king to prepare in case King Eckbart sould declare war. It was only a matter of weeks, perhaps only days.

Asphodel cursed. He was indeed among the first to be summoned. He wondered what else his fellow citizens are doing.

I turn my head and she's whispering in my ear but her distraction doesn't stop the fact I notice her hand in my pocket. "Go a little further and you might grab something else." I take her arm firmly and remove it from my pocket. Gesturing I motion for her to take a seat. Taking another sip I turn to face her. "You seem," I glance over her body, "useful. Do you know how to use those weapons you carry?" Outisde the air starts to cool and the sun is lowering in the sky. "Do you want to go now or wait for dark?"

"You might need that later...if you're lucky." I say with a smirk as I retract my hand, pressing against his hard body a bit more than necessary. I sit as he directs, relieved he doesn't seem too pissed off about my delaying tactic. His rather brusque gaze makes me wonder just what 'use' he might find for me. "I can hold my own." I answer, a hand going to the hilt of one of my daggers. "Though I suspect there won't be much I will need to kill behind you."

"I think we should go now, too many ears about." I slip out of the chair but wait for you to lead, still not fully trusting you won't take some vengeance upon me. Besides I rarely like having someone behind me.

"Very well. Let's move." I slip from the seat as well. Pushing the doors open I enter the city as it becomes dark. " we head east. That way." I point towards the forest and glance back to see if she follows. Finally I get to kill again, before I know it I'm at a slow run jumping over objects. Stopping at the entrance to the forest I walk in slowly. "You might need that, if your lucky." Women a desire, a curse. Why did I bring her? What does she even fight for?

I follow but at my own pace, he is easy enough to track, and I have little desire to be at the forefront of whatever trouble my new friend is planning. He seems very eager, like he feels a lust besides that which I saw when he looked at my body. I don't understand him, and I am not sure I care to, he seems as if he is going to fight the entire world and somehow I feel he may well prevail. We head East, towards the land of my parents. I have scores to settle there as well, though I don't necessarily know with whom. I can't help but think someone has unleashed the dogs of war or perhaps we are to prevent one. I know that I am little more than a pawn in this game, but I shall play my part.

The trees became thicker and I had to slow my pace for her to keep up. Turning my head I watched her approach from behind. "So what is your tale in all of this?" I wanted to know more about her. That was dangerous. It bred attachment something that could easily get me killed, but still I need to know who is at my side. "Night is approaching, we had better set up camp." I could see a clearing in the distance and as the moon started to rise the wolves would be on the hunt. That didn't bother me, it was being close to her that did. Of all the men I'd killed, I never harmed a woman. In fact I normally avoid them. Only hurt and trouble came from that aspect of the species and not enough good came from it. Their minds twisted things their bodies created lust that clouded judgment. Yet knowing these facts I looed back at her and smiled. Perhaps she was different, though not about the lust part that was clear enough.

He slows as the woods thicken, whether it is a courtesy to me or for his own safety I do not know. For the first time he asks me a question that seems just for conversation. I don't know if that is a good or a bad sign. As the trees seem to crowd around us it is clear how alone the two of us are. Is this where I learn his true plans for me? Of course I know, almost instinctively that if he merely wanted to kill me, or take me, he could have done that in the city as easily as here. There are few that would try to stop him and fewer still, if any, that could.

"My tale?" I ask him, more to delay than anything else. I don't like to talk about myself. Information is power and he is so powerful already. I am used to being in control, to writing the terms of my contracts, but I feel I have none of that here. "I am just a street urchin turned bad." I think back to my becoming orphaned. "I had to steal to survive, but once I got good at it, well lets just say I didn't need to live hand to mouth anymore." I leave out my origins in the neighboring kingdom, our apparent destination. My accent and mannerisms fully acclimated, I suspect it will only breed suspicion. Besides, I have no loyalty there, if anything just the opposite.

His smile seems genuine enough, but like so much with him, is it cause for reassurance or fear? It is hard to say what pleases a man like this enough to make him smile.

He pondered her words there had to be something more to them. Just a child on the street. Someone had to teach her how to use those weapons, someone to teach her to fight. Hiding as a child was one thing but you became known people looked out for you, where did she stay hidden? Where did she travel? Something more to her tale indeed. Sitting he took some stones and moved them in a circle. In the center he dug out some earth and placed it to the side.

The walk was short there was plenty of dry sticks and brush to use in the fire. These he placed and packed in the center. Removing his knife from it's sheath he struck a stone the grey ones that gave a spark. A few strikes later a small fire started to grow and push back the cold of the night. He noticed that they had no camping material so he grabbed a few logs and branches with thick leaves. "You can join me or make your own, but I don't sleep with clothes on, even in the wild the connection to nature is more real that way." He thought for sure the comment would drive her to make her own, things could get hot otherwise and he wanted her to know what was what before she spoke. After awhile a small tent like structure was up. Just enough room for two tight.

Glancing over he looked at her. "The fire will keep the animals away. A set a few traps around that will signal if someone tries to sneak around while we sleep. We will be safe." He said the workds for her not himself.

Lea watched as he set his traps, crude but effective, as long as they used the obvious approaches, which anyone actually looking for them wouldn't. She lingered a bit, leaving a few surprises of her own just in case. At first she thought he was simply playing a mind game with her about sleeping in the nude but she decided there was nothing that would surprise her about this man. She raised an eyebrow as she watched him, he would certainly be a sight to behold she thought to herself.

"And what of your tale?" She asked as his shelter was nearing completion. It would be a very cozy fit indeed but she had no skills for such a shelter herself. She had spent nights in the cold before, she would live but hate it, she was hardly so modest though that she would refuse the warmth of the shelter from being too shy of his nudity. If he wasn't embarrassed neither was she. She began to take off some of her belts and cloak, unfastening several buckles of her leather armor. She leaned back against an old stump, crossing her arms under her breasts and waited for the show.

Asphodel wandered to the meadows where peasants were preparing defenses in case war should break. Asphodel shook his head. There must be a way to know in advance what the enemy is doing and to prevent casualties on both sides. At this time, Asphodel had an idea. Dreams! He can access dreams, but the only problem is dreams are too vague and open to interpretation. He could at least try...

Now completely nude and having fulfilled her most basic role in this little adventure for the night. Lea drifted off to sleep both physically and mentally exhausted. Their shared heat intense enough to keep the cold of the night at bay from within the small primitive shelter. Lea was not one to dream often, or at least remember beyond the first waking moments of the day. She considered herself safe, at least safe from everything except her new Master. Her last thoughts on how different this one was from her last, a fact that her feeling of being absolutely spent sexually well attested. She would sleep well this night, and was soon in a deep sleep which was rather uncharacteristic of her and perhaps somewhat unnatural.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom