Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

BMR Cookbook~

Bacon-Wrapped Water Chestnuts
1 can of whole water chestnuts
Soy sauce
Maple syrup
Bacon
Canola oil/spray

Open can of water chestnuts and drain. Make a 1:1 soy sauce to maple syrup mixture (enough to immerse all your water chestnuts in). Soak water chestnuts in the soy sauce/maple syrup overnight in a closed container in the refrigerator. The following day, preheat the oven to 350 degF. Remove the soaking water chestnuts and wrap each one with a single strip of bacon. Place wrapped water chestnuts on a pre-greased baking sheet and cook in the oven for 30 minutes. Once done, serve and enjoy.

Sunrise Cheescake from food wishes.
Crust Ingredients:
18 graham crackers
3 tablespoons melted butter
Filling Ingredients:
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
4 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2/3 cup milk
4 eggs
1 or 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
1 or 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest

directions:
[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-ESuCLOy9E[/video]

Oh! A cookbook? Well, seeing as I love to cook and will most assuredly try some of these recipes, it's only fair that I contribute in some way. I've got just the one for my first post here. It's a recipe that I got from my grandmother; not exactly a family secret, though so I am more than happy to share.

Sour Ranch Chicken

What you will need:

-- Boneless Chicken Breast (However many it will take to feed your family/guests)
-- One bottle of Ranch dressing. (I have never used any low-fat dressings but I would imagine they would be fine.)
-- One bag of your favorite Sour Cream and Onion potato chips.

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. Thoroughly coat the chicken breast in ranch dressing. Note that dressing is an oil-based sauce. There is no need to marinade.

3. Crush the potato chips until they resemble a bread coating and roll the ranch-coated chicken in the crushed chips.

4. Place in a non-stick baking pan and bake for 40 minutes or until the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 170 - 180 degrees.

Special Note: Clean-up for this dish can be tedious as the ranch that drips onto the pan will burn there (though the ranch on the chicken will not unless over-cooked). I suggest lining your pan with aluminium foil to make clean-up a breeze and to prevent potential damage to your pan.

Oven Baked Taco Nests:
Soft shelled taco, or a wrap
Ground beef
A taco seasoning
Shredded cheese of your choice (I just went with a sharp orange cheddar)
Salsa

1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
2. Fry up the ground beef with the taco seasoning, drain fat.
3. Grease a muffin tray and cut taco shells/wraps so that they make a cup in the trays with about two centimeters sticking out from the tray.
4. Sprinkle some cheese on the bottom of taco cup, then pile in the ground beef so that it nearly reaches the top of the cup. Then throw on some more cheese.
5. Bake until cheese on top melts, remove from oven.
6. Let cool and then carefully remove taco nests from the pan.
(Yes the bottom of the nest will likely be quite greasy so be careful)
7. Throw some of the salsa on the top, or just use for dipping.

Basically just a different take on the traditional taco.

Oh, and I guess I'll throw up the taco spice I usually use
1/3 cup dried oregano
4tbsp chile powder
2tsp cumin
2tsp garlic powder
1tsp salt
1tsp cinnamon

Is it sad that I got all kinds of excited upon seeing this thread? I had to dig through papers to find my mini cook-book just so I could contribute something.

Porcupine Meatballs

1 cup uncooked rice
2 pounds lean ground beef
2 tablespoons minced onion
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 cups gravy OR pasta sauce

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees

-Combine rice, meat, onion, salt, and pepper into a bowl.
-Mix well and form into a ball that should be a bit smaller then your palm.
-Place in a deep cooking pan and cover in pasta sauce or gravy.
-Cover tightly in aluminum foil and cook for one hour.

Simple as that. These are great served with salad, mashed potatoes, pasta, or just on their own.

~~~*~~~

Cool Whip Yogurt Pie

1 0.3oz package sugar free jello
1/4 cup hot water
1 individual serving size yogurt (Yoplait light works really well)
1 container of cool whip
1 graham cracker crust

-Stir together hot water and jello in a large mixing bowl until jello is completely dissolved.
-Add in yogurt- mix throughly.
-Slowly knead/fold in the whip cream. You want it well mixed but still fluffy.
-Pour into pie crust and refrigerate for one hour before serving

This is really quick, yummy, and very low fat for a dessert if anyone is going through that awful thing called 'dieting' like I am. You can use any flavor of jello and yogurt you wish by my favorites are..
Orange Jello with Orange Creamsicle Yoplait
Strawberry Jello with Orange Sunrise Yoplait

Its a wonderful no-cook dessert that takes less then ten minutes to make!

Duchy's Easy Italian meal

Ingredients:
Bow tie pasta ( or if you wanted to use Penne pasta that works well too)
Fresh Garlic (powder just tastes off)
Basil
Onion
Butter
Chicken
Pesto
Mushroom Alfredo sauce ( if you wanted to add your own sauce to it thats fine so long as its a white sauce)

This is super easy and so good that i live off it lol

Start to boil your water for your pasta, now everyone knows that different pastas take longer than others and some shorter than others. Well since I use bow tie pasta is cooks the same as elbow macaroni so its rather quick.

Alright so what your going to want to do is get a frying pan of what ever size you want, place how ever much butter you think you need into the pan along with the chopped fresh garlic and the onion. For those of you who do not know how to chop fresh garlic effectively, you grab a large flat knife and press down on it to flatten the pieces of garlic then you chop it up as fine as you see fit. I use all lot of garlic in my Italian meals so depending on the size of the clove, i use about two or three large pieces of garlic. Onions should be shopped finely too. Throw the seasoning in there and let it fry to where the butter starts to boil a little.

Place your chicken gently in the pan and let it simmer and cover with a pot lid so it will cook all the way through. Let they fry for a bit and by this time its starting to smell really good. you want to simmer it till its cook completely through while flipping it a few times.

When pasta is done, drain it like normal then cut your chicken up into bite size pieces if you want and add it to the pasta, put pesto int he pan to where you see fit and add a little bit of your mushroom Alfredo sauce. If the pasta turns brown from the garlic and onion in the chicken that's just fine it just looks whole grain then :p

can serve with asparagus and bread

happy cooking!!

Thai Chicken with peanut sauce.

Chicken(Boneless)
Creamy peanut butter ( I use peter pan)
Peanuts
Rice(Jasmin Rice)
Crushed red chili flakes
Lime
Teriyaki Sauce
Rice viniger
Garlic (I prefer fresh garlic as usual)
Onion
Bell pepper

Cut the chicken into bite size pieces and Cook the Chicken in teriyaki sauce, onion, garlic, crushed pepper, bell pepper and rice viniger. ( When you are pouring the liquids in be sure you only put about a cap ful of rice viniger into the broth otherwise it will taste very sour in the end.)

Be sure you have the rice cooked cause iit takes the longest.

Once you have cooked the chicken completely, take it out and put it on a cutting board or anything you have and depending on how much sauce you have left over after the chicken is cooked add peanut butter to it till it tastes like spicy peanut butter sauce if you feel you have to little sauce you can add a little water, rice viniger and terikaki sauce to it just to build up the sauce. If your sauce comes out chunky just add water to it and loosen it up till its a smooth thick texture. Do this till you have enough and it tastes right, add the chicken and stir it in for a little longer to cook.

Serve over rice, add the peanuts and squeeze the lime over it. Yummy!

Step 1: Prepreations of the Seasons!
There are several things you need to season, but be sure to have a container, a pan, and something to put oil in.
Chili Seasoning:
-2 TBSP Flour
-2 Tsp Sugar
-1/2 Tbsp Garlic Salt
-1/2 Tbsp Garlic Pepper
-1 tbsp Cayenne Pepper
-3 tbsp Creole Mix(For Chili Powder/Cumin substitute.
-1 tsp Oregano(Original recipe calls for Basil.)
(Mix for best results, shaken if preferred.)
Meat Seasoning:
-Garlic Pepper
-Flour
-Seasoned Salt
Preperation: I didn't have a specific amount, I just poured the ingredients in (Flour, eeeeh~ good handful is good.) You have two meats to season, but just put in enough to season on of the meats, and refill when you do the rest of it.
Stir Fry oil:
1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
Just a little soy sauce. Three shakes will do if you have the normal bottle and not a bulk container.
(Once again, mix for best results.)
Step 2: Choppification of the Peppers!(Vegetable prep.)
I had:
- 1 Red Pepper
- 1 Pasilla Pepper(I believe. The grocery store said it was somewhat hot.)
- Jalapeno Pepper
I recommend trying:
-Onions.
-Green Peppers
-Garlic
-Your favorite kind of beans for chili.
How I chopped it up:
Red Peppers:
I cut four sides out of it leaving the core intact. And then I proceeded to cut them in thin, long strips. I recommend doing the same if you use Green Peppers.
Pasilla/Jalapeno peppers:
Cut then so that the pieces are circles due to the shape of these peppers.
After Chopping up:
But them in a bowl and put them in the fridge to keep it fresh until you need to saute.
Step 3: STURRRRRRRR FRY. (Stir fry prep/cooking and Chili base prep.)
Now hold on there!:
Before prepping the meat, you should get a large pot and put it on the stove. Now, I added two cans of Tomato sauce because I don't like tomato dices or slices. You should at least pour the sauce into the pot. You can cook now if you want, but honestly I didn't turn it on until I added the ground beef.
Meat Seaonification!:
Now if you have that pan place the meat you're going to use in the pan and rub the meat all over to get it covered in seasoning. Once you get this done take the skillet and place it on the stove.
FRY THAT MEAT!:
Turn the stove to medium(I think mine was medium high) and start cooking. When placing the meat, shake it above the pan to get rid of excess seasoning. As soon as all the meat is in the skillet, add the vegetable oil/Soy sauce. I didn't time myself, but I have a feeling whoever reading this will be a good judge on when it's ready. Once done add the meat to the chili pot.
Savor it!: [
Leave one tiny bit of meat left out, and go ahead and give it a taste. It should be delicious and a sign of good things to come!
Step 4: MORE MEAT. (Beef browning and Chili cooking.)
Be sure to clean your skillet if using the same one!
Meat Seasoning part two:
Refill pan with seasoning for meat. Take out the chunk of meat you're going to use and roll it around in the pan, and get in as much seasoning as you can.
Brown that Meat!:
Pretty self explanatory. Just brown the meat and when it's good and ready add it. Personally I drained the fat(or whatever) out of the pan as best as I could, but didn't make it my mission to get rid of it all. When done add that meat.
Bring the heat!:
Now at this part, I turned the stove on low and placed the chili pot over it. This is why I prepped the vegetables early.
Step 4: Peppers!
Once again, clean your skillet if you used it previously.
Cook, and bring teh butter!:
Simple. Just dump all the Peppers into the skillet, put some butter in and then cook. I haven't cooked straight up vegetables before... so judge how cooked they are for yourself. If you can't, check online for help. :3 Once done, add the peppers into your chili.
Final Step: Finishing Touch!
As you're cooking the chili, stir the Chili Seasoning mix into the chili and make sure it's stirred well! Bring it to a heat and then let it simmer, and be sure to stir occasionally!
Optional Step:
Before bringing it to a heat, give it a shot of some Alcohol! Just don't use half a can.
Winter's End Mix:
I used Woodchuck Hard Cider Winter, a limited release. Sounds like a good way to celebrate the end of winter and the start of spring, no?

Spicy Chili! (Haven't thought up of a good name.)

Step 1: Prepreations of the Seasons!
There are several things you need to season, but be sure to have a container, a pan, and something to put oil in.
Chili Seasoning:
-2 TBSP Flour
-2 Tsp Sugar
-1/2 Tbsp Garlic Salt
-1/2 Tbsp Garlic Pepper
-1 tbsp Cayenne Pepper
-3 tbsp Creole Mix(For Chili Powder/Cumin substitute.
-1 tsp Oregano(Original recipe calls for Basil.)
(Mix for best results, shaken if preferred.)
Meat Seasoning:
-Garlic Pepper
-Flour
-Seasoned Salt
Preperation: I didn't have a specific amount, I just poured the ingredients in (Flour, eeeeh~ good handful is good.) You have two meats to season, but just put in enough to season on of the meats, and refill when you do the rest of it.
Stir Fry oil:
1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
Just a little soy sauce. Three shakes will do if you have the normal bottle and not a bulk container.
(Once again, mix for best results.)
Step 2: Choppification of the Peppers!(Vegetable prep.)
I had:
- 1 Red Pepper
- 1 Pasilla Pepper(I believe. The grocery store said it was somewhat hot.)
- Jalapeno Pepper
I recommend trying:
-Onions.
-Green Peppers
-Garlic
-Your favorite kind of beans for chili.
How I chopped it up:
Red Peppers:
I cut four sides out of it leaving the core intact. And then I proceeded to cut them in thin, long strips. I recommend doing the same if you use Green Peppers.
Pasilla/Jalapeno peppers:
Cut then so that the pieces are circles due to the shape of these peppers.
After Chopping up:
But them in a bowl and put them in the fridge to keep it fresh until you need to saute.
Step 3: STURRRRRRRR FRY. (Stir fry prep/cooking and Chili base prep.)
Now hold on there!:
Before prepping the meat, you should get a large pot and put it on the stove. Now, I added two cans of Tomato sauce because I don't like tomato dices or slices. You should at least pour the sauce into the pot. You can cook now if you want, but honestly I didn't turn it on until I added the ground beef.
Meat Seaonification!:
Now if you have that pan place the meat you're going to use in the pan and rub the meat all over to get it covered in seasoning. Once you get this done take the skillet and place it on the stove.
FRY THAT MEAT!:
Turn the stove to medium(I think mine was medium high) and start cooking. When placing the meat, shake it above the pan to get rid of excess seasoning. As soon as all the meat is in the skillet, add the vegetable oil/Soy sauce. I didn't time myself, but I have a feeling whoever reading this will be a good judge on when it's ready. Once done add the meat to the chili pot.
Savor it!: [
Leave one tiny bit of meat left out, and go ahead and give it a taste. It should be delicious and a sign of good things to come!
Step 4: MORE MEAT. (Beef browning and Chili cooking.)
Be sure to clean your skillet if using the same one!
Meat Seasoning part two:
Refill pan with seasoning for meat. Take out the chunk of meat you're going to use and roll it around in the pan, and get in as much seasoning as you can.
Brown that Meat!:
Pretty self explanatory. Just brown the meat and when it's good and ready add it. Personally I drained the fat(or whatever) out of the pan as best as I could, but didn't make it my mission to get rid of it all. When done add that meat.
Bring the heat!:
Now at this part, I turned the stove on low and placed the chili pot over it. This is why I prepped the vegetables early.
Step 4: Peppers!
Once again, clean your skillet if you used it previously.
Cook, and bring teh butter!:
Simple. Just dump all the Peppers into the skillet, put some butter in and then cook. I haven't cooked straight up vegetables before... so judge how cooked they are for yourself. If you can't, check online for help. :3 Once done, add the peppers into your chili.
Final Step: Finishing Touch!
As you're cooking the chili, stir the Chili Seasoning mix into the chili and make sure it's stirred well! Bring it to a heat and then let it simmer, and be sure to stir occasionally!
Optional Step:
Before bringing it to a heat, give it a shot of some Alcohol! Just don't use half a can.
Winter's End Mix:
I used Woodchuck Hard Cider Winter, a limited release. Sounds like a good way to celebrate the end of winter and the start of spring, no?

....This is the first time making a recipe... like... ever. = w=; Sooo... if the layout needs to be changed, pm me please?

Raw Veggie Pasta Salad

For the noodles, I just used half a box of those veggie noodles from the store, cooking them according to the box directions.

For the sauce, I used several healthier substitutions:

Instead of butter, I used half an avocado*(mush it up first because it won't melt like the butter would) and Neufchatel instead of regular cream cheese, whipping them in a saucepan over medium heat until they start to get smooth and creamy. Then, adding 2 cups of almond milk(instead of regular milk) a little at a time, I stirred it with a whisk until all the lumps were gone. Then add 6oz. of Parmesan cheese and 1/8 tsp of black pepper.
After that, I sauteed some fresh mushrooms in a pan with organic olive oil and added them to the sauce.

*(for 7oz of butter you add 162g of fat; for the same amount of avocado you're only adding 29.3g and those are the good kinds of fat that also help cut cholesterol; and Neufchatel has about 10g less milk fat than regular cream cheese but tastes exactly the same with the same look and consistency)

Then, I chopped up 2 red peppers, a cucumber, a yellow squash, and a hefty sized broccoli crown. By the time I was done chopping veggies, my sauce and noodles had become room temperature and I added them in and mixed them up. I added vegetables that I like and that I think taste great with cream cheese but you can use any vegetables that you want. And you can eat it hot or cold; it still tastes great!

Aside from some inspiration from a couple of Alfredo sauce recipes I found online, this is completely my own creation. The substitutions I looked up on my own as well.

"Firecracker" Salmon

4 6-ounce salmon steaks or fillets
1/4 cup peanut oil
2 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoon chopped green onions(Optional, more of a garnish really)
2 teaspoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
1 clove garlic, minced
3/4 teaspoon grated ginger
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients except the salmon. Place salmon in a large resealable bag (or two). Pour marinade mixture over top. Force all the air from the bag and seal. Place in the refrigerator and marinate for 1 to 2 hours. Preheat grill. Remove fish from bag and place on a hot grill. Brush with some of the marinade and discard the rest. Cook over a high heat for about 4 to 5 minutes per side or until done. Time might vary because of the thickness of the fish. When salmon flakes easily an is a consistent color and texture through the middle remove from grill and serve.

Of course, the marinading process can be skipped and simply brush the sauce on during the cooking process. But season the raw fish before placing it on the grill. Kosher salt and thyme work quite well.

Easy Cake Cookies
Yields 2 dozen

1 Box of cake mix
2 eggs
1/2 Cup of oil
Optional: chocolate chips, raisins, m&m's, etc.

1. Preheat the oven to 350
2. Mix the cake mix, eggs, and oil until all are incorporated. (1/2 - 1 cup of chocolate chips or other extras should be added at this time.)
3. Make small balls of dough and place on ungreased cookie sheet.
4. Bake 8 - 10 minutes
5. Let them cool on the sheet for ten minutes before removing to cooking rack.

Variants:
Peanut butter cookies ~ Yellow cake mix + 1 Cup Peanut butter ( using the fork method before baking)
Oatmeal Raisin Cookies ~ Spice cake mix + 1/2 Cup of Raisins + 1/2 uncooked oatmeal + 2 tsp of water
Red Velvet Cookies ~ Red velvet cake mix + 1/2 Cup white chocolate chips
Lemon Drop Cookies ~ Lemon cake mix (Roll balls in powdered sugar before baking)

A little meal I've been eating these last few days I've come to enjoy. It's balanced in nutritional value (mostly) and low in calories, so it's good to HELP with a diet (don't eat it every day).

Joker's Canexican spicy bowl.

Need: 2 oz Canadian Bacon or Chicken Tenderloin
1 cup Sliced/chopped bell pepper
1/2 cup corn kernels (about 1/3 a can)
1/4 chopped poblano pepper (large)
Salt and pepper TT (to taste)
Olive oil TT
Chipotle Tabasco sauce TT
Salsa (store brand, doesn't really matter what kind.
1 lime

Instructions: Grease up a skillet with non stick cooking spray
Chop tenderloin or Canadian bacon into small cubes/ squares
Cut bell pepper into cubes (medium dice) after removing seeds/ top
Cut poblano into cubes
Drain corn kernels of juice/water
Combine all in skillet with little olive oil.
Add half the lime.
Add salt/pepper as desired.
Set skillet on high heat.
Allow to cook until you see peppers start to wilt/ get soft, stirring constantly
Cook in medium-low heat
Add salsa and rest of lime
Cook until salsa begins to burn a little bit.
Deglaze skillet with water, stirring up ingredients.
Cover with lid, set on very low heat for about 5 minutes.
Add Tabasco chipotle sauce (or whatever hot sauce you desire)
Cook for another minute.
Mix all together
Serve (add cheese if desired)

As stated, its under 500 calories, nutritional and tasty, and great because if you make it right, you can alter how spicy it is depending on your preference.

Cheap Sierra-Turkey wannabe Sandwich

Ingredients:
1. Bread of choice. I use a french bread loaf (I also try to flatten it, I have a tiny mouth and the bread irritates the corners of my mouth)
2. Turkey deli slices.
3. Red onions
4. greens/lettuce (I just bought a mix bag with different types of lettuce and spinach)
5. Chipotle ranch
6. Maybe a little mayonnaise?

Uh... directions are simply lol. Cut the loaf into half hotdog length! Spread the chipotle ranch on the first slice. I suggest not glopping it on. I also put a little bit of mayonnaise on the other half. Lay on the turkey slices, spread on a little bit of the red onion slices, spread on some greens, slap the other slice on top, then cut into servings. If you're only serving yourself once, then I suggest cutting off however much of the bread you want in one sitting, then assemble the sandwich.

Sake bomb
1 shot sake chilled
1 beer (16 oz) that has actually flavor
Drop sake shot in beer.
Shotgun

Mount Fujiyama
4oz sake
4oz Mountain Dew

Drink them togertherr.

Black Samurai
1 oz sake
1/2 oz soy sauce

In a shot glass, mix, then drink.

Italian Ranch Bacon Cheese Bread

1 loaf of Italian Bread
8 ounces shredded Mexican cheese blend
16 ounces crisp cooked bacon, diced
½ cup unsalted butter, melted
1 tablespoon Ranch dry dressing mix

Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare 2 sheets of aluminum foil to wrap bread in, overlap the foil so the bread will be completely covered.

On a cutting board, slice bread in 3/4-inch intervals, being careful to not cut all the way through. Cut again, crosswise, not cutting all the way through.

Slide bread onto foil and stuff cheese between all cuts: sprinkle with bacon. Mix melted butter and ranch mix, with a fork, and drizzle over top of bread evenly.

Wrap foil around bread snuggly and bake for 15 minutes; uncover and bake 10 minutes more.

Serve hot, yo.

Extra Crispy Chicken [Individual portion]

Items:
1 chicken breast
1 egg
Italian seasoned panko breadcrumbs
Garlic powder
Lemon pepper seasoning
Olive oil
Salt

Procedure:

Set up pan on the oven, set it to about 6 on a gas oven and about medium-medium high on electric. Coat the bottom of the pan with the olive oil. Make sure the whole bottom is covered. [Turn it on when you start coating your chicken!]
Crack an egg into a bowl [make sure it’s big enough for the strips] and stir with a fork until yoke and whites are mixed together.
Set up another bowl with the breadcrumbs. Add the garlic powder and lemon pepper seasoning to your liking. Add a little bit of salt and mix well. [You can just use your fingers]
Cut the chicken into strips. One breast can make about four or five strips depending.
Dip the chicken strips into the egg mix until well coated, then roll them in the breadcrumbs.
Carefully place the strips in the pan. Be careful, the oil will be hot! You want that sound when something is searing to get the chicken nice and crispy.
Use tongs to flip the chicken strips. Each side takes about 7-10 minutes. Cook each side till either brown or dark brown [Like I like it!].

Once down, set them on a plate. While still hot, add a pinch of salt to the strips. Once cooled down enough, enjoy!

What I also add!

Yummy Home Fries

A potato [or half of one]
Butter
Garlic powder
Salt

This is an added bonus! You can add home fries as a side to your chicken strips.

While the chicken is cooking, take chopped up potatoes and set them in a hot pan with butter. You can add a little bit of garlic powder and salt for flavor. I suggest cutting the potato into small cubes or triangles to get them to cook faster and better. Depending on the size of the potato, you might just wanna chop off half and save the other half for another time.

Once the chicken is done, do not turn off the pan! Transfer the potatoes with their butter to the chicken pan and let them sear off until soft and cooked to a nice brown. They soak up all the flavors left by the chicken!

Enjoy!

Parmesan Chicken

2-3 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup of mayo
1/2 cup of parmesan cheese
2 tsp oregano

Mix mayo, cheese and oregano in a bowl. Coat chicken in sauce. PLace on a baking sheet, and bake at 375 for 45 minutes.

This recipe is idiot proof! Very fast, very simple, and incredibly tasty!

The Best Cornbread Stuffing/Dressing
2 packages of Jiffy cornbread made following directions on box
6 slices of dried/stale white bread
1 pound sausage (sage, Italian or hot all work)
4 tbsp butter
2 cups of chopped celery
1 large onion
2 cups diced carrot
6 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup cooking Sherry (Or a Chardonnay would do)
1 tsp salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp sage (optional)
1 tbsp poultry seasoning (optional)

- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl crumble the cornbread and combine with the broken up dried bread. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, crumble the sausage and cook. Remove the meat from the skillet onto a plate with a paper towel on it to drain it. DO NOT discard drippings in skillet.
- Put butter, chopped onion, celery and carrot into skillet. Cook until the onion is transparent.
- Add sherry to the skillet and deglaze the pan, then add pour this mixture and the sausage in with the cornbread mixture. Add spices.
-Mix well and then pour into a greased 9x13 pan an bake until top is golden brown, 30-45 minutes depending on how dry you want it.

Shortcut Best Cornbread Stuffing/Dressing
2 boxes cornbread stuffing
1 pound sausage
1 12 oz bag of mirepoix (this is the carrot, onion and celery mix)
1/2 cup cooking sherry
4 tbsp butter

- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Make stuffing according to stove top directions on the box. Once you add the stuffing to the liquid, set it aside and do not cook it any longer over direct heat.
- In a large skillet, crumble the sausage and cook. Remove the meat from the skillet onto a plate with a paper towel on it to drain it. DO NOT discard drippings in skillet.
- Melt butter in skillet and add mirepoix. Cook until onions are translucent, then deglaze with sherry.
- Combine the stuffing, sausage and veggies in a 9x13 inch pan and place in oven. Cook for 30-45 minutes.

Real Homemade Hot Cocoa!

Hello everyone! Happy October!
For many people, the weather is turning bitterly cold, it might even already be snowing!

The best way to ward off the chill is something nearly every person has had in their childhood.

What am I talking about?

Hot Cocoa of course!

Hot Chocolate has been the comfort food for centuries!
Even the ancient Olmec people enjoyed a drink that involved roasted cacao seed paste with water,Chile Peppers and Cornmeal. It might not sound too pleasant now, but back then it was considered so important it was used in religious rituals and as a medicinal drink.

Chocolate has, throughout history, been a key cultural identity that spans nearly every culture and country, past and present.

Despite that, most people never go any further than a packet of some powder labeled 'Hot Cocoa'. The taste weak and hardly something one could call chocolate at all. It's hard to tell why, laziness perhaps? Maybe it's just that some time ago we just stopped caring, or simply didn't know any better?

Well, it's time to stop drinking weak, pale imitations of cocoa, and start really enjoying the chilly seasons! This is a recipe that begs to be Personalized, it's extremely adaptable and can be tweaked to fit any person's tastes.​

What you Need:

Hardware:
  • Pot capable of holding at least 8 or more cups
  • Whisk or heat safe stirring spoon
  • measuring cup and measuring spoons

Software:
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder (unsweetened or Dark)
  • 1/2 cup Choc Chips (i used semi dark but you can use dark, milk, white or even peppermint or butterscotch)
  • 1/4 teaspoon (or a pinch) of salt
  • 3/4'th to 1 cup sugar (depending on how sweet you want your chocolate and what kind of chocolate chips used you may want to add less or more to your taste)
  • 3-4 cups Milk
  • 1/4'th teaspoon Vanilla extract (you'll want the imitation, as it tastes stronger when heated than the pure vanilla extract)

Optional additions:
you can alter this recipe in a hundred different ways.

for lactose free options use soy milk or almond milk.

add cinnamon, nutmeg or cayenne for variety.

add liquid or powdered coffee creamer for a flavor boost. (if using liquid be sure to cut back equal amounts of milk)

add a 1/4'th cup of alcohol for a kick. i like Vanilla Schnapps or Rum Chata but you can use whiskey, rum, vodka or anything else you can think of!

What to do:

Step one: in your pot bring your water, cocoa powder, salt and sugar to Medium heat stirring often(you don't want to burn the chocolate!), don't worry too much about clumps they will break apart and melt in the heat. (on most stoves you will want the heat setting between 6 or 8. you do not want to bring this to a simmer so err on the lower side of the heat if you are unsure.)

this is also when you would add any powder additions such as cayenne pepper, cinnamon or nutmeg. some people add Chile, powdered coffee or even powdered espresso. powdered coffee creamer is also a common addition.

Step Two: once the mixture is hot, add the Choc Chips and stir constantly until fully melted and continue to heat and stir until all the clumps are gone and the chocolate has a mirror like appearance and is smooth and not grainy.

Milk chocolate will grant a sweeter taste to the hot cocoa so you may want to cut back on the sugar or add a little more cocoa powder; while Dark chocolate is very bitter and strong and you may want to add more sugar and/or milk.

Step 3: add the Milk (this is also when you will use cream, coffee creamer or milk substitute) for a less bitter mixture use four or more cups, make sure to taste after each cup to see if you like it or not. you can always add more, once it's added you can't go back!

Coffee creamer is sweater so you may want to cut back on the sugar if you use this, or add darker chips or more cocoa powder. you also should not use the vanilla extract at the end unless using plain creamer, as the creamer has more than enough flavor to enhance the cocoa.

Step 4: Bring milk mixture to a light simmer and remove from heat, make sure to stir well while you brink milk to heat, you don't want to scald the milk!

once removed from the heat, add your vanilla or other extract! Peppermint or almond or orange extracts seam to be the most popular. the skies the limit! whatever you like!

once off the heat you can also add your alcohol, be very careful around hot areas or open flames as alcohol is very flammable, even the cream based ones and you could very easily set fire to yourself or your house! for safeties sake, please remove pot away from stove before adding alcohol.

Step 5: stir very well one last time and then serve into mugs, cups, or even bowls. top with whatever you want! whipped cream, shaved chocolate, powdered sugar, peppermint flakes, coconut flakes and even a bit of orange zest. the skies the limit here too!

for anything left over, pour into refrigerator and microwave safe container and refrigerate for up to five days. (if you have anything particularly pungent in your fridge (I.E. Garlic) your Hot Cocoa may take on the flavors so be careful to choose an airtight container. as the cocoa cools it may take on a slightly grainy texture but a firm zap in the microwave until it's piping hot again, coupled with a good stir from a spoon will regain that silky smooth texture.

this cocoa is a lot thicker, much more flavored and just all around a better alternative to that paper packaged powder that you can get at the grocery store and if done right you should have it hot and ready to drink anywhere from ten to twenty minutes depending on your stove. it takes a bit more time, but you won't regret it!

for a fun variation, freeze it in ice-cube trays and pop a few in a blender with some cold coffee and you have yourself a frozen mocha! or even by themselves for a frozen hot cocoa!

have fun with it! experiment, explore and enjoy!

11219576_461899770685237_8491201309882219795_n.jpg

Favorite recipes!

I don't know about you guys but I love to cook!

Let's share some delicious recipes and share the good food love :heart:

Peanut Butter Fudge
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup peanut butter

Grease glass dish (I use 9 inch pie dish). Bring sugar & milk to boil in medium pot while stirring constantly over high heat. Reduce heat and let boil for 2 and a half minutes (continue stirring). It should look frothy at this point. Remove from heat and immediately add peanut butter and vanilla extract. Pour into greased dish and refrigerant 1 hour. Cut & serve!

Beer Bread
3 cups all purpose flour or self-rising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder (omit if using self-rising flour)
1 teaspoon salt (omit if using self-rising flour)
1/4 cup sugar
12 fluid ounces of beer of your choice
1/4 cup melted butter

Preheat over to 375* F and grease a loaf pan. Mix all dry ingredients and whisk together (this makes the bread fluffy). Fold beer into dry ingredients until it becomes a large ball of dough. Pour dough into loaf pan.

FOR CRISPY BREAD:
Pour the melted butter on top once poured into loaf pan.

FOR SOFT BREAD:
Pour the melted butter in the dry ingredients before adding the beer.

Bake for 1 hour.

My suggestion: Use Guinness extra stout for the beer, when the bread is finished brush the top with more melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.

Back
Top Bottom