Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A compilation of words (Inwiththebooks writing samples)

This is where I'll pop in my personal favorite little excerpts from RP's I've been in, thread or PM. I'll probably add some comments to them, why I like them for instance.

Excerpt from "Arcane Advances". PM RP.

Inwiththebooks said:
Liz cackled madly in triumph as Rita cried out, the screams becoming as music to her ears and when her eyes turned to the crowd she was pleased to note fear prominent there. Amelia in particular looked fearful, likely never having actually seen how terrible curse magic could be. What it could do to a person, it was one thing to hear about it and read about it and another thing entirely to see it playing out before one’s eyes. Liz had experienced this and worse at her mother’s hands, harsh discipline being the only discipline her mother subscribed to. It had made her stronger in the end.

The Monfort kicked Rita in the side, snarling down at the dilu bitch with golden eyes flashing with the purest malevolence and hatred. Another curse was ready upon her lips, this once designed to take one the five senses away from a person for a while. She was going to horrify Rita so badly that she would never even think about daring to step out of line again. She would fear Liz; see her in her darkest nightmares. She did not want to kill Rita, she wanted her to live on and suffer the horror of living after her fight.

She was about to laugh at Rita’s attempts to cast a spell at her, until she felt some force slam into her back and steal the wind from her lungs. The Monfort gasped as she was pressed flat against the ground, straining to get back up but finding that her limbs were not strong enough to lift her form. This… this was impossible! She had made it impossible for Rita to use magic against her directly! How then was she being squeezed against the ground, the same music of magic singing in her ears?

The edges of her vision started to blur red as the gravity acting upon her negatively affected her body, her breathing becoming shallower. Then, not but a minute or two later the spell and the power acting upon her vanished. Liz gasped and rolled onto her back, coughing and clutching her head. That… had not been expected. Clearly the crowd had not expected it either as they were murmuring among themselves. Liz however was coming to terms with the fact that she had almost been bested by a mere dilu in combat. The mere thought made her sick to her stomach.

“Rita Compton is no longer able to continue. By default the victor is Lady Elizabeth of House Monfort. The verdict of guilt falls upon Rita for defacing Academy Property and her suspension from the Library is sustained.” Mistress Zera said, sounding a bit… intrigued perhaps.

“Liz! Liz are you alright?” Amelia said, gripping the Monfort’s arm and helping her to her feet.

Liz muttered something unintelligible under her breath, stumbling and ending up with Amelia half carrying her on her shoulder. The summoner chuckled nervously, likely a tad unnerved by whatever she had just witnessed. Mistress Zera approached the Monfort slowly, Liz not recognizing the woman at first and needing to blink for a few moments. Why was everything so very bright? That stupid dilu was going to pay for this discomfort, oh yes, she was going to pay very dearly.

“Lady Monfort, do you need to go to the Infirmary?” The woman inquired.

“No. No I do not believe so. I am just a bit disoriented, it will pass.” The noble mage responded.

“That was quite the display, I do not believe I have seen that form of magic used before, I shall have to observe the dilu girl more closely. I also see that the legends of the power of Monfort curses and compulsions are not mere legends. I did not know someone could scream so long.” The instructor said, moving off to check on Rita and no doubt ensure she made it to the Infirmary.

Amelia meanwhile opted to help Liz back to her room, the Monfort regaining control of her legs halfway through the journey. The summoner seemed rather nervous, occasionally stealing glances at Liz but averting her gaze when the Monfort noticed. When they arrived inside the woman closed the door behind them spinning upon Liz. The Monfort had expected a fearful question or two, not the open palmed slap to the face she was delivered.

“Ow! What the hell, Amelia? I just reoriented myself.” The woman said.

“Shut up! You stupid, stupid, stupid girl! I thought she was going to kill you! I thought- I thought… oh gods!” The summoner replied angrily, tears forming in the corner of her eyes.

Liz had not expected this as Amelia’s response to the whole affair. The woman was normally so indifferent to everything, hearing her worried like this was a little jarring to say the least. Still the Monfort supposed she might react the same way if she had witnessed Amelia put in that situation. The woman was her only real friend in the world, sometimes more than a friend though she rarely dared to hope that could be true. It appeared however Amelia indeed did feel something for her, though whether it was what Liz hoped or not was up in the air.

“She was not going to kill me, Rita Compton is a third rate mage at best and I am a first rate one. The outcome of the match was decided the moment we stepped out there. No reason to worry.” Liz said, though she wished she actually believed that.

The Monfort paused when Amelia’s lips crashed against her own, the other woman parting a moment after. “You are always so confident, my friend. Externally anyway. I have seen what you really are though, you aren’t iron. You are soft, yielding, unsure. I worried. When I saw you fall… I was ready to summon some beast to tear that dilu apart.”

The Monfort kissed Amelia back, pleased when she reciprocated and wrapped her arms around her. Liz still felt a bit jarred but for a moment she was able to let Amelia take control as she so loved to do. They parted and Liz felt some swelling in her heart, unspoken affection between then palpable. Years they had known each other and it had taken a fight that had nearly killed Liz for Amelia's easy going facade to crumble? If the Monfort had known that she would have told off her mother to her face with Amelia present. As it was... this would do.

Liz smirked. “I am sorry I worried you… Mistress Amelia.”

“Oh, I’ll show you Mistress Amelia alright… safety word is Ice.” The summoner growled, all but tearing off Liz’s clothes for another kind of wrestling than what Rita had tried.

Comment: Ah, Arcane Advances. One of my more enjoyable RP's. This particular post deals with the last bit of a duel between Rita Compton (controlled by my partner) and Elizabeth Monfort. I rather like how I handled her friend's reaction to her nearly losing here. Running multiple characters can be rather fun.

Excerpt from: Worlds Collide, Forum RP

Inwiththebooks said:
Selana was not one to rest on her laurels and the second she saw her opponent go down she rushed forward, the screams of pain giving her a good feel on how the fight was shifting. The Empress felt confident her little trick had won her this fight and knew well that Izumi was more than likely at a disadvantage with half her vision and only that short blade. The tall woman dropped her own blade and picked up the fallen katana for its longer reach, the balance of the weapon impeccable. The irony of defeating the warrior with her own sword was also a nicely poetic ending to a duel.

She stood over her foe and sneered down at her, flipping the katana around so that she would strike with the blunted side. Killing Izumi was not the point of this duel, it was to prove that even her great strength and martial prowess was something the Empress could best. Beating her was not so important as much as humiliating her in front of a crowd. Torture could only go so far in breaking one like Izumi. The warrior already feared her to some degree, Selana knew that much, now she simply had to crush that fire within her.

The Empress unfortunately had not expected the woman to lunge forward and sink the curved short blade deep into her shoulder. Selana screamed at that and she was not ashamed to admit it as pain flared up through her entire body. That pain was quickly transformed into white hot rage as she drove the hilt of the katana in her other hand against the side of Izumi’s head hard. Hopefully it would be enough to knock her out or at least daze her long enough for Selana to steal the other blade on her person from her and toss it aside. With that she would step away from the woman and toss aside the katana to try and pull the short blade from her shoulder.

Guards waiting beyond the gates rushed into the Bloodpit, two grasping the samurai’s arms to restrain her and three others moving to attend to the Empress. The tall woman pushed them away as she slid the blade out from her shoulder with a sharp cry of pain, spots dancing before her eyes and a strange wooziness overcoming her. The Bloodpits fell silent at this sight, the Empress victorious but also bloody for the ordeal. She needed to salvage the situation before anyone saw this injury as a weakness on her part.

She cleared her throat and spoke, her voice ringing through the Bloodpits as she clutched her wounded shoulder. “Yes! Your eyes do not- do not deceive you. I bleed. Though the progenitors of my family were gods their descendants are merely men. Flesh, bone, and blood.”

“Though I am but a woman I strive to be more. I strive to be a unifying symbol of this great empire, to be worthy of the blood of gods flowing from me. In order to be worthy… sometimes that blood must be spilt. I gladly spill my blood against people like this woman, barbarians that seek to rob each and every one of you of the light of Antara. I will continue to do so until there is no more blood of mine to spill.” Selana said, the pain throbbing but her voice remaining clear and loud.

As she weaved her words an idea popped into her head fueled by vindictive rage towards the samurai. She half turned to her guards. “Chain her up in the center of the pit.”

“Allow me to demonstrate the fate of those who face the might of Antara. Those who try to tear down the empire built upon the blood of our ancestors and maintained through the blood of the current sons and daughters of Antara.” Selana said, allowing Maximus to try off her wounded shoulder in a rough field dressing.

Comment: Another rather fun RP. Another combat scenario ended. My partner plays Izumi Sato, Samurai turned slave. I play Phoenix Empress Selana Imperator. I rather enjoy the fact Selana ended up getting stabbed for being a bit of an arrogant bitch. Izumi had been pretty much getting the short end of the stick the whole RP so injuring her captor gave a little balance. I also had fun with the speech at the end.

Back
Top Bottom