Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Chanti's Little Piece of BRM (Comments are loved)

Chanti

Supporter
Supporter
On my first day on BRM (Oh so long ago...it has been an entire week!) I saw this forum for Journals and instantly wanted to make one. But one has to have priorities, and my first priority was getting some lovely RPs going.

That priority has been fulfilled, and now I get to start on this.

*rubs hands together in delight*

Really I didn't know what to call this. Its part journal/part writing ideas/part venting/part whatever I feel like. I can totally see myself putting in little tidbits from my amusing job in a call center

"Can I have your account number?"

"Yeah I have it."

*awkward silence*

"Do you want it?"

"....yes, please."

That was a gem from today xD

No one ever believes it when I tell them I love my job. But it's true! I am obnoxiously in love with my job. I love the company I work for, I love the interaction with my customers (even the mean ones!), I love the hours I work, I love that the hours I work (late shifts rock!) allow me to read and write on my kindle or laptop between calls. I am very careful when it comes to planning vacation days, because two days is my max to be away from work without wanting to go back. Usually by the afternoon of the second day I am ready to go back. By the afternoon of the third day I am getting angsty. Four days and I will be plotting ways to cancel vacation and get back to work.

My boss swears I need a hobby. She doesn't realize I practice my most enjoyable hobby - writing - at work!

ANYWAY - about BRM.

I have been RPing on f-list forever, even though I dislike the whole furry kink. I saw someone mention BRM somewhere on f-list, and came to check it out. I fell in absolute and total love. This place is freaking amazing. Talented, literate, creative writers? Oh yes, please! Let's see how fast I can sign up! I am so in love with this site - which I have barely begun to explore - I have already donated to help keep it up and plan to do so regularly as my finances allow.

My first interaction with an RPer on BRM was a poor one. It sucks when you are very excited about RPing with someone and you get up the nerve to contact them, waiting in nervous anticipation for a response like a schoolgirl asking someone out to the sadie hawkins dance for the first time - only to get utterly crushed by an irritated response. It had never happened to me before to be honest, and it gave me a fresh insight and a new sympathy for people who ask me for an RP. Even when I need to let them down (and let's face it, it happens from time to time) I try to be gentle about it. After that terrible interaction though, I think I shall be a bit more kinder than before lol.

God knows, my newfound patience has already been tested sorely once.

Despite that bad start, I have absolutely adored every minute I have been on this site. I have four amazing RPs going (one through email) from this site, and one more in the works. I may take one or two more if they are too delicious to pass up and get dropped in my lap, but I think this is the perfect number for me without my RP starting to feel like a job lol.

Does anyone else have a "honeymoon" period in an RP? When it has just started, and you are so ridiculously excited about it? You check the thread twenty times a day to see if your partner has responded, you are constantly plotting for it, your character(s) are alive and thriving in your head? I absolutely adore that period:)

Woah. People I don't know read this.

Hi, Dr! And to too, Saul lol. I hope you are!

I wanted to write a post on this last night, but was busy writing a response. Hopefully tonight I will have time.

Ugh, it has been stupidly busy at work these last few nights. I am hardly able to get any writing or reading done. Evening/night shifts are usually pretty quiet, but when it is busy it is BUSY because there are far less people to take the calls coming in.

Thank God I have tomorrow off.

I plan on getting all my responses caught up (I am behind on an email one!), working on a few more ideas for stories, playing some hearthstone, and generally doing everything I can to stay in bed or close to it. My schedule is wacked this month, with NONE of my days off being together, which I am not a fan of. I don't mind it when it happens once in awhile, but its happening all the time now.

I got to talking via PM with one of my RP partners last night *eyes Saul* and some things were said that reminded me of some of my escapades as a young adult and a child. I reminisced a bit tonight about some of them too, and decided to tell a few in this little journal of mine.

WHY I DO NOT LIKE ALCOHOL!

I blame my brother. I cannot stand the taste of achohol, even though in my late teens I TRIED to get drunk. But the only thing I can tolerate is a screwdriver, easy on the vodka. It just tastes like bitter orange juice. People keep telling me "try this, you can't taste the alcohol!".

They lie. I can taste it.

Back when we were kids, my mother (who is as crazy as a hit dog as we say down here in the south) refused to have a tv. These days I thank her for it - it helped inspire my love for reading and writing and my over-active imagination. But back then me and my brother considered it right next to child abuse. When we went to my grandma's she had a tv, but we were only allowed to watch old westerns or shows my mom watched as a kid.

SO! We were watching some ancient western show, dunno what one, while my mom and grandma visited. Then we went home, and my mom made her first mistake - she went to take a nap, leaving me and my brother to play. I was about five or six. He was about eight or nine. We decided to play cowboys and indians, of course.

So we were in the bar (living room) planning our attack on the indians swarming the back yard. But it was a bar, and we had no whiskey! So we went hunting.
We found my mother's plum cooking wine. The closest thing we had to shot glasses (we didn't even know what they were called) was her teacups.
I remember standing at the table, barely able to reach it. A teacup of plum cooking wine in front of me. My brother alongside of me...
"Now don't sip it. Just toss it down like they did in the move. You first."

I was a gullible child.

Next thing I remember was being on my hands and knees crying and puking, and my brother hanging over me whispering, "STOP! You're gonna wake up mama!"

And THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is why I hate the taste of alcohol.

Speaking of reading...(I WAS speaking of it earlier! I mentioned it once!)....I love to read. I think most writers do. I read a LOT...everything from fiction and novels to nonfiction to biographies to history books to textbooks to cookbooks and everything in between.

I recently read a book about the Vikings, and as many books do for me, it led me to other books. So when I finished it I picked up "The Sagas of Erik the Red, Frithiof, and Gunnlaug". It is some fairly heavy reading though, so I break it up by reading novels. I read "Hidden Moon Bay" by Vickie McKeehan, it was alright. Nothing spectacular. A sweet sappy romance.
Then I read "The Black" by Paul Cooley. I had low expectations, especially after the first couple pages. But I am glad I persevered, because it got pretty damned good. It would make a b rated horror movie, but I actually enjoyed it.

Then I picked up an erotic romance that has been sitting on my too read shelf for WAY too long, "Surrender" by Melody Anne. Again, I had low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. It is all a bit cliche in a 50 shades kind of way, but I still enjoyed it. Cliche is cliche for a reason, it works. I don't always demand realism and "believable" characters and plot in what I read. I demand truth and facts in my nonfiction, not my fiction. When it comes to fiction I confess my standards are fairly low. But then again I don't focus on newer fictions. I read everything from new stuff to The Wide Wide World by Warner, and The Girl of the Limberlost...I forgot the author but that was a damned good book.

On my desk right now I have Gray's Anatomy, A Patriot's History, A Modern Herbal, Dictionary of Law, and Home Comforts: The Art and Science of Keeping House. I have sifted through pages of them all.

In my too read pile I have Civil Disobedience and other Essays, George Muller, The Contrary Farmer, Shadows of the Almighty, The Collected Essays of Augustine Birrell (NO idea who he is), Foreign Devils on the Silk Road, and the Collected Works of Joseph Conrad.

That's not even mentioning the too-read list on my kindle and nook which are WAY longer.

Some people might think I am religious of they looked at my bookshelf. I am not. I have family who is, but I personally am not. I know of some people who are religious and only read religious books. I know other people who are not religious and only read anti-christian stuff. I read both. I enjoy christian fiction and nonfiction. I have read the Quran, the Bible, the Bhagavad Gita and the Upanashids. I have read books on Tao, Buddhism, paganism, and atheism. Doesn't mean I follow any of those beliefs, I am, if anything, agnostic. But I am a firm believer in learning about both sides of issues, whether it is a political issue or a religious one or whatever it is. I am wary of anyone who declares truth to be truth, whether it is a religious figure, CBS, the american government, or ISIS.

My, haven't I been in a rambly mood tonight? :)

Heading to bed, night everyone!

So I had a lovely day off work. Puttered around this morning, made myself a breakfast of scrambled eggs, roasted tomatoes, and some stir-fried peppers. Ran some errands. Came back home and napped. Took my mom out for dinner to the Shrimp Basket (was delish! I brought home a bowl of red beans and rice for lunch tomorrow at work). Came back home, played a bit of hearthstone and am now sitting down with some fresh strawberries.

I spent some time exploring Blue Moon today as well. I have occasionally seen references to another site I keep having to look up the spelling of, Elliquiy. A sister site of this one I believe. I am still not sure of the differences between the two. I peeked at it but I didn't want to sign up because I am here, and I have RPs going here. I am not sure I want to divide my attention between two RP sites right now. But I keep THINKING of it, damnit! Wondering if I am missing something. Clearly there must be some sort of difference between the two, otherwise why keep two separate sites that do essentially the same thing? I will probably end up asking somewhere after I finish tormenting myself trying to figure it out on my own. It's how I roll.

Sunday I am heading over to visit my best friend that I haven't seen since before Christmas. My night schedule plus her day schedule do not make for lots of visiting time. Plus our days off clash - she is usually off on weekends and I am usually working weekends. This Sunday is one of my rare weekend days off so we are going to have lunch together at one of the BEST CHINESE FOOD PLACES EVER! Seriously, it is a major shithole of a place. But their food is freaking fantastic. I will drive the two hours sometimes just to eat there, it is that amazing.

So I have discovered something about myself. I don't much care for email RPing. I greatly prefer forums where I can see a solid history of the posts. Otherwise I just lose track and lose interest. Which is a shame, because I have a lovely little RP going in email I found here on this site, and I am going to have to email the guy and explain the format isn't working for me. Hopefully he is willing to move it onto the forums.

At lunch today my mother (who, for the record, is more catholic than the pope) was telling me all about the terrible stories she reads about in these newsletters people send her when they want money. She told me one in particular that almost had me spitting up my food I was laughing so hard, and the more I laughed the madder at me she got. So evidently somewhere - she couldn't remember where - there was this convent of nuns living in happy piety. UNTIL the strip club moved in next door. The nuns were horrified at how these ladies were being "extorted" and "taken advantage of" and promptly began picketing. The strip club retaliated by changing their advertising to reflect the fact that their girls were "second to nun". Freaking priceless.

I feel like I am nesting here on BMR.

I now have an avatar, after a week. :) I live in Florida, and the great Florida Ice Storm is a fond memory. I had just started working for the electric company as a customer service rep, and was in training classes at the time. But I had been told several times - if there is a hurricane, you COME TO WORK! It is all hands on deck, and if people don't show, people get fired.

So I was supposed to be at work that day at 8am. I got up at 6 and peeked outside and saw nothing but ice and snow. Nope. Called in to work, the automated storm message said don't come in till ten.

I checked again about 8:30. A LITTLE bit better, but still ugly. I called in, the automated storm message still said 10. It normally takes me about 15 minutes to get to work, but I left that morning at 9am - an hour earlier than I needed to be there. After checking the automated message again. Still said 10.

But when I got there an hour and ten minutes of crawling along at 5 mph later, it was to find out that five minutes after I left the house they updated the message - no one had to come in. But I was there, and now I had to stay. They wouldn't let me go home because it was too dangerous. I was fed well - they had plenty of awesome hot food. I worked with an experienced rep who helped me, but all the calls were the same so it didn't take me too long to figure out how it went.
"MY POWER IS OUT! WTF?"
"I'm sorry, there is ice and snow all over the place. We will get it on for you as soon as we can."
"WTF!?"
"I'm sorry, there is ice and snow...."

I ended up spending the night there, and froze my ass off because the people who had spent the night there before had all the blankets and pillows. I didn't take a shower because everyone else used the hot water. Finally the next morning about ten am they let us go.

Anyway....

I also added a list of current RPs onto my RP request thread. Makes it easier for me to find them, especially the one I didn't start.

I also emailed the guy I was RPing with via email and asked if we could transfer the RP to blue moon threads. He declined. I hate that, it was a really good RP and he was a good RPer. But I like looking over past posts and it was difficult to do that in email.

Anyway, I have an unread PM that is calling my name, so later!

DT are you from Florida?

Native right here, born and raised:)

Guess I am absolutely in that honeymoon phase at this moment. But then again, if you have a partner this amazing, the honeymoon phase never ends.

I am exhausted, but so happy.

I had a good day at work today. Even for a Monday it was busy because of storms rolling through, but it was still a good day.

Then I came home and had a piece of my mothers lasagna left over from her Sunday dinner. What would possibly be better?

Oh yea...SIX awesome RPs. :) That could be better. Every single one of them I am desperately in love with and cannot wait to RP. Some are more complex than others. Some are slower than others. But all of them are perfect.

I am stupidly happy tonight, especially since I am caught up on all my posts in them except one.

Sorry, Dangerous! Soon, I promise!

Exhausted. Going to bed. Have off tomorrow so will get everyone's PMs and RPs answered tomorrow.

It's a good, good day.
Listening to Sam Cooke, nibbling on homemade still-warm cinnamon cinnamon cookies with ice cold milk, and writing my heart out.

I have been entirely too neglectful of my favorite corner of BM - MINE! Forgive me, dear possibly non existent reader - I have been lazy. And tired. And distracted. And busy.

I have had a wonderful, wonderful day though. And I have to write about it between savoring little glances at Andre Rieu in New York City Music Hall via youtube.

I worked today. Usually when I work late shifts on Sunday or Saturday its alone. But today I had my cubby buddy there for most of it. She left at 9pm, I left at 11pm.

First call of the day, a guy who claimed to be an electrician in full freakout over not having power. Got him handled, but had to call our dispatch to do it. No worries, they handled it.

Second call of the day, some guy said he got shocked when he touched a live wire and got knocked on his ass. I called over ti dispatch again, this time they weren't quite so happy to hear from me.
*unintelligible mumbled greeting that sounded faintly like "fuck you get off my phone for fucks sake" *
"Hey, its Chanti again. Sorry to bug you guys, but I have a guy who is saying he got shocked, and whenever we have someone claiming injury we have to send them to you."
"Whatd he do to get shocked?"
"He touched an exposed wire on his AC"
"Well that would do it. Doesn't sound like our problem"
"No, but its still a complaint of shock and we have to send them to you."
*unintelligble murmur that sounded like "fucking incompetent bitch"*
"Sorry, what?"
"Send him on over."

Third call of the day, from the sheriffs office dispatch inquiring about two reports of damage to poles, wanting to know if the problems were resolved. I call over to dispatch again.
*unintelligible mumbled greeting that sounded faintly like "fuck you get off my phone for fucks sake" *
"Hey, I'm so sorry but I have the sheriffs office on the phone and blah blah blah..."
They got me the info I needed and then just hung up on me.

Thank god I didn't have to call them the rest of the night lol.

But then my cubby mate got me started. God help her, she is probably going to put in for a transfer to another cubby tomorrow. She asked me about what I like to read.
I told her. I love to read just about everything, and showed her my kindle which contains everything from Byron and Cotton Mather to erotic romance to sappy sentimental 18th century literature (which I am currently addicted to by the way! More on that later!). We got into a massive discussion on education, the responsibility of people to educate themselves, how to educate yourself, etc. I haven't had a discussion/debate that much fun since my Dad passed away.

She was curious about how my reading tastes got developed, and I told her. Just as I will tell you.

As a child my mother refused to have a tv - I think I mentioned this before. Partly she refused because she felt it would rot kids brains. She may have a point there. But partly it was because when the "warning" came about the end of the world, all the tvs in the world are going to blow up. You wouldn't have a bomb in your house, would you? My mother didn't want a tv. Same reason. My mother is a little crazy. But regardless, without a tv my entertainment was playing i the backyard, tormenting the hell out of my brother, and reading. But my tastes in reading were childish, and purely for entertainment.

In the middle of sixth grade I moved to live with my dad with straight Fs. My dad took education seriously. He worked all day. Came home, cooked dinner, and then stood over me the rest of the night ensuring my homework was done and helping me with it. At the end of 6th grade my grades had come up to where I was JUST below passing. My dad went to the teacher and told her if she passed me, he would see to it that I brought my first seventh grade report card to her with straight As and Bs. She passed me. My dad worked on me that whole summer, and the next year in seventh grade I got my first report card and he drove me to my elementary school and marched me to my old six grade teachers class where I presented her with a report card of straight As.

Later that year we were riding down the road in his truck, just me and him, and he was listening to talk radio. Woe is the state of american education today! They were giving examples of questions kids didn't know that they should, and one was a question presented to 7nth graders - "Where is Pearl Harbor"?

So my dad looks at me and asks, "Where is Pearl Harbor?"

"Umm.....erm.....New York?"

My dad was horrified. He told me years later he couldn't blame me. I was straight As. Clearly I was learning what I was being taught in 7nth grade. By then he didn't have to stand over me, I had been turned loose to sail on my own on the rivers of our education system. As long as my grades were good he was happy. He was no longer happy. That day he marched me down to the library. Now, I went there every week anyway. I was a voracious reader, but I always went to the fiction section. That day, and several weekends after, Daddy made me pick out a history oriented book, a biography, and a scientific oriented book. He would ask a few questions during the week, but he knew if I had a book it was going to get read, so he wasn't overly worried about me actually reading it. When he turned me loose later it was with a love of reading ALL subjects, not just entertaining fiction.

My dad gave me not only the ability to educate myself, but the desire to do so. What greater gift can a father give his child?

And now...now where most girls buy shoes when they get depressed, I buy books. I am utterly shameless when it comes to buying books. I buy all sorts of stuff. My favorite used bookstore in my old hometown was run by a sweet couple with a large family. They told me they loved seeing me come in because they were curious about what I would come up with to buy. She said most of their customers had a focus. Romances, mysteries, westerns. I had no focus. She said sometimes she bought stuff thinking "No one is going to buy this...." And then I would come bringing it to the counter with a big grin on my face.

I do, however, have phases. Right now I am addicted, as mentioned earlier, to sappy sentimental overly religious 18th century literature. I mean...disgusting stuff. Ever read the Wide, Wide World by Susan Warner? Go read the reviews on Amazon - the woman gets a lot of hate from the feminist and anti-religious crowd. I get it. I really do. But I don't care. I LOVE that book! So much so I bought her complete works and am working my way through them like they are a rare, extraordinarily treat. Like they are the last chocolate box in the world. Savoring every morsel. Forcing myself to take time between the delicious stories that make me cry self-indulgent tears. I bought more similar books I will read later. The Elsie Dinsmore Series. The Little Peppers series. The Lamplighter by Maria Cummins. Terribly wonderful stuff I can't wait to see if it is as good as Susan Warner.

Why do I like the Susan Warner stories so much? I am not a christian, and have no interest in being one. I am an independent young woman with an admittedly mysogenistic side, but still believing a woman can live a fulfilling life by herself without having to marry. At face value, there is no reason I should even like these stories, much less shamelessly adoring them like a 12 year old girl adoring....whatever fucking boy band is the current fad.

I think there are several reasons.
One - Susan Warner writes her characters very tenderly. There is no other way I can describe it. And something in me responds to that.
Two - I like books that educate me, entertain me, or inspire me in some fashion. It is a rare book or author that can do all three at once - and Susan Warner does just that. I am educated about daily life in the 18th century. What books they read, what food they ate, what they believed, what kind of social lives they had, what kind of jobs they had, etc. I am entertained because these are sweet stories, even if extremely preachy. Somehow the preachiness adds to the stories instead of taking away like it usually does. And I am inspired, because regardless of what you think about religion in general, there are facets of religion that DO work to inspire people to be better people. Also, Susan Warner places a very strong emphasis on education - especially for girls. Not just an education with a sewing needle either. But a real education of mathematics and science and grammar and foreign languages.

As a direct result of a steady diet of Susan Warner over the last week I have been inspired. And last night I bought....*coughs and whips out her kindle* The Complete Works of Byron, The Faerie Queen by Edmund Spencer, The Tragical History of Dr. Faustus by Christopher Marlowe, Algebra 1 for dummies, Meditations by Marcus Aurelius, The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Edward Gibbons, The New Latin Grammar, and the Federalist Papers.

I am wierd. I confess it. And I glory in it.

And it's 2:30. So I am going to bed. Goodnight, Blue Moon.

Your Dad sounds like an awesome guy, and that is the sort of reading habit I want to instill in my kids.

Ty, he was awesome and I still miss him.

I think that's the kind of reading habit we should always try to instill in our kids. Daddy was a bit of a programmer at times and he considered the human brain to be like a computer in many ways. He thought I read too much junk, especially when I discovered romance novels with lurid covers. One of his favorite sayings when he found me reading what he considered junk was...."garbage in, garbage out".

I of course would roll my eyes and move on. But I think sometimes today that my dad had a point. I still read "garbage" today though, and thoroughly enjoy it.

To all my RP partners that need responses from me:

I am so, so sorry. I meant to get them all done today during a nice slow Saturday evening at work.

Then we had storms roll through, 20,000 people out of power. It got ugly. So ugly they bribed people to come in that weren't on call, offering them overtime pay and free pizza and breadsticks if they would please, please get their asses to work.

The supervisor was bringing around cold drinks and snacks so we would stay at our desks and take calls.

So I barely had a chance to pee, much less write out responses.

HOPEFULLY things will be more normal tomorrow and I can get some responses out - at least all the ones more than 24 hours old. Again, I am very, very sorry. Thank you for your patience!

Wow, it's been awhile since I posted here. I have been busy with writing, work, reading, etc. Today is the first day of a three day vacation I have. And the first day in over a month that I have had more than one day in a row off.

I have been having wierd dreams recently. Last night's was particularly horrific. I don't remember a lot of it, but I remember I was part of a team responsible for guarding this exiled King who decided to come back and fight against the cruel dictator who was running the country. But we lost, and we and the King were captured. We had protected him as best we could by getting him to wear a body armor suit that covered every inch of his body and included a face mask. There were only a few small openings in the suit that could be penetrated. Eyes, nose, mouth, and one under the neck where the hood connected to the body suit. They killed the King by taking a slender metal rod and shoving it up through the underside of his chin, up through his head into his brain. Very, very slowly. I woke up ready to throw up, that is how much it disturbed me. Mostly I remember the trapped, panicked, pain-filled eyes of the dying King.

Another dream I had was me and some friends were driving up through some hills and mountains. There was one curving dirt road that wasn't traveled often and was overgrown with grass. I was driving, and I remembered that you had to really pay attention to this road because there was a grassy embankment on the side of the road that fell down to a valley that it was impossible to drive out of. But with the grass on the road and the grassy embankment it was hard to tell where the road ended and the embankment started. Of course with my friends chattering at me I lost focus and we ended up going off the road and down the embankment. No one was hurt, but we were trapped in the valley unless we climbed out. We decided to wait and hope another car drove by and helped us out.

But then we noticed a gas station at the corner where the road met the beginning of the embankment, and I suggested a couple of us walk up there to get help. My friend looks over the gas station and then he is all, "Nah, it doesn't feel right. It FEELS bad."

After I looked at it again I agreed, and we all decided to avoid the gas station. But then it changed into this gothic witch's castle, and we heard this really wierd cackling laughter. Sure enough the witch was hanging out her bathroom window (I dunno how I knew it was her bathroom window! It was a dream!) laughing at us. It pissed me off, so I flipped her a bird. She snapped her mouth shut and glared at us, then slammed the window shut and vanished.

Next thing you know shes on top of the castle throwing watermelons at us.

Like I said, wierd dreams.

I am so glad that you found BMR and that I found you!

Weird dreams indeed. And... your dad sounds like he was an awesome guy. He certainly raised an awesome kid. ;)

So just FYI, your writing is fantastic!

I'm working on a response now, but let me tell you that your responses are ones that pop up on my subscription list and make me feel like it's Christmas morning and I'm ten years old all over again.

And... how's the weather in Fl. this week?

Awww thank you so much! The feeling is mutual, believe me!

Weather is awesome! I'm working overnight shifts all this week starting tomorrow/today - 10pm - 6am. Hopefully this gives me lots of reading/writing time!

Chanti I just wanted to let you know that I was reading your post about your dad, and it inspired me with my journal. I mentioned your name in the post, giving credit for the muse that was with me. I just wanted you to know.

Thank you so much, AndNich! I always get this lovely little thrill when I find out people I don't know read what I write here. It also made me feel a bit guilty, as I have been neglecting this little corner lately. I keep trotting out excuses - work, other writing, reading, etc etc - and they are all legitimate but I shouldn't let this place get as dusty as I have been.

I read your post about not really liking to read. I am not ashamed to say it bothered me. I am not a religious person, but I understand their need to try to convert people. I have that same obsession with converting non readers. Whenever I hear about any poor soul not enjoying reading, I am immediately overcome with this urge to fix this unfortunate shortcoming in their lives. I want to go and talk to them and find out what they enjoy, search out books for them, hover nearby as they read - making sure they are comfortable while doing so, have plenty of snacks nearby. Only when they finally admit to enjoying reading would my anxiety be relieved.

Of course this has never happened! I am surrounded by people who don't like to read, and it continually bewilders me. I don't understand how anyone can not like reading. It's like someone telling me they don't like breathing. It is such a foreign concept I struggle with it. I am always trying to convert non readers in my life, searching out books they might enjoy, finding audible books (though I don't approve of them myself as a legitimate substitute to reading I acknowledge they are a handy stepping stone for converting nonreaders).

The closest I have ever come to converting a nonreader is when my die-hard never pick up a book willingly best friend actually ENJOYED a book I got her. It was a young adult book she picked out when we went to the bookstore together. I might walk away with an armload of books but I always made her pick out one too. She would comply rolling her eyes, and somehow the book always ended up at my house to stay due to her lack of interest. A week later she called up RAVING about the book. In spasms of delight I went out hunting more books by that author, there was only one. I bought it and a few more that were listed as being similar - but they didn't have the same affect on my friend.

I have not given up hope yet though! Someday I WILL convert a nonreader!

Honestly though, these days a person can get a decent education without reading. Hello, youtube. The home of science videos, math videos, physics videos, history videos, etc etc. Hello, various websites with free college level lectures.

On another note entirely, I have been....discouraged with Blue Moon recently. My nice fat pack of RPs has dwindled down to four - two of them active. Two are in a holding pattern waiting for responses that have been a long time coming. I don't mind waiting, but I was hoping for more RPs to keep me entertained in the meantime. The ones that died, died for various reasons. Some I grew unhappy with, some my partners grew unhappy with, some my partners disappeared.

I am hoping to get a few days off next week, and if so I plan on investing in some Blue Moon hunting time. :)

Back
Top Bottom