Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Could it Really be You??

Status
Not open for further replies.

VioletRose

Star
It was the summer before their great adventure. The adventure into the real world. It was no longer time to party hard and worry about life later, it was time to start thinking about their lives as adults now. The last summer to have fun, rekindle their love life but what happens when after registration they run into old friends? Was the friendships they had before they were ripped away enough to start where they left off, or are the new personalities going to finish the friendship before they get a chance to start over?
============================

Serenity Salvatore loved in Cherryville her whole life. The same house, same neighborhood, the same school system and even the same group of friends. Well that was until one by one their families moved away. Promises to stay in touch one by one became broken promises. One by one every started to change causing silence to strike.

"You are going to this camp, I won't be here all summer and I am not leaving you alone, not after last time. I cleaned for weeks until this house seemed like home again!" Serenities mother stated while she packed for her trip for work.

"This is so not fair!" Serenity screamed from her bedroom where she was packing her bags as well. "I'm eighteen in a week, and your sending me away like a kid! Your so lame!" She continued even though it did not matter what she said, her mother would make sure she got there.

Less than seven hours later SetenitySalvator stepped out of the taxi cab and stood in front of Camp Life, her home for the next six weeks. The front gate and lawn was packed of other teens chatting and talking. Grabbing her three duffle bags from the trunk she headed for the registration table. While waiting one of the camp councilors handed out a packet to everyone still waiting to register.

The packet explained everything about the camp you could possibly need to know. Activities, sleeping accommodations and meal information. As Serenity continued looking through the packet she saw the pictures of everything, realizing that this camp was nothing like it used to be the summers the old group came. It was laid back now, no set scheduals and you did pretty much what you wanted as long as you stayed within guidelines set by the owners. This was going to be a good summer yet.

After getting through the line, she went to her assigned cabin. Tossing her bags on a bed near a widow she set out to scope the new camp. First heading down to the lake, then the fire pit. Venturing off to the dining hall. Making her way back towards her cabin she looked across the front lawn. So many people and she stuck out like a sore thumb with her chains hanging off her belt loops, the dark make up and her choice of wardrobe. Sitting down next to a tree and sighed sticking her earbuds in her ear turning her iPod on.

Callie Coleman stepped out of the limo as her driver grabbed her bags. The other campers stared and talked among themselves as they passed by. A snarl on her face, she watched them only looking over at her driver as he sat her bags down on the ground. “You idiot. You put them on the ground. My father will have your job. A trained monkey chasing a banana on a stick could do your job.” He smiled at her patting her shoulder. “You’ll be fine miss. Enjoy your summer.” Enjoy my summer indeed, she thought rolling her eyes. “Carry my bags.”
“No miss. You can take care of this.” The driver was a sympathetic man to her in the sense that he was aware her parents were merely getting rid of her for the summer so they could pursue their own selfish agendas. He was also a very patient man who had been the victim of the vicious assaults from the young lady for a while now. Her father would do no such thing as fire him. That would require the tedious task of replacing him. He climbed into the car driving away leaving her, and the camp, a distant memory.

“Great,” she sighed reaching for her bags. She would not trust any of these….these commoners to touch her things. The camp had changed some, but the biggest thing she noticed was how dirty it was. “Primitive,” she spoke sitting down her bags at the registration table. “Name?”
“Disappointed.” The lady gave her an exhausted, non amused gaze. “Coleman. Callie.” She handed her a packet and her cabin assignment. “Great. Perfect. I don’t suppose there’s a valet that can carry my bags is there?”
“No honey. You’re on your own.”
“You have no idea,” she groaned picking up her bags and heading towards the signs pointing out the way to the various cabins. The bags grew heavy quickly, and she began to sweat. The trail uneven under her feet, and the other campers bumped into her as they hurried along in a frenzied rush. Talk of the freedom they had here and how the camp was run was overheard by several of them. Some things had changed it seemed.

She kicked open the door and entered an empty cabin. The bags of others were seen next to certain beds. She found and empty one by the windows and dropped them. “Dusty, falling apart, hot, dirty, and there are flies. Perfect. I’m in summer camp hell here. I know my parents hate me, but this? Even this is far too much. Wait until this place hears from my lawyer. This has to be some sort of inhumane treatment.” Eyeing her bags for a moment, she spotted the lake out of the window. The lake. A thousand memories flooded her mind. Skipping rocks and late night swimming get-a-ways as the intrepid group would sneak out of their cabins. She smiled but only for a moment before she shook her head looking away. Wanting to find a bathroom so that she could freshen up, she headed out of the cabin in the direction the little arrows pointed

Rob rubbed his eyes sleepily as he carried his bag off the coach. It had been a long hot journey from Tennessee and he'd tried, unsuccessfully, to sleep most of the way. He yawned, letting the heat radiate over him, as he looked around. The camp really had changed a lot. He shifted, shaking out weary limbs, before picking up his bag again and joining the long queue to register.

As it crept forward he let his mind wander. His parents had been called away for work, a last minute business conference that could not be rearranged, that was going to drag out their already booked holiday in Canada for an extra two weeks. They'd offered Rob a place on their trip, but he'd turned it down, not fancying days and days in hotel rooms whilst the Optometry conferences droned on below in the function rooms. So he'd ended up picking a camp and, for nostalgia's sake, had plumped on the one that they had gone to as kids. Camp Joy. Except now, he noticed, as he drew close to the desks at the front of the queue, it seemed to be called Camp Life. He shrugged. One name was as good as another for this scratch of huts and trees on the curve of a dusty river. Cherryville, seemingly unchanged, flashed in the sun on the horizon. His old home.

There seemed to be some commotion at the front of the line. Some rich girl, all designer clothes and stamping feet, seemed to be having some sort of hissy fit. He rolled his eyes as she finally stamped off towards the cabins. Clearly a bit of a bitch. He collected his own stuff and headed towards the cabins too. He pushed open the door to find an empty series of bunkbeds. One, near the window, was piled with black bags. He put his on a bed by the wall and then, seeing that nobody was about to arrive, stepped back out into the sun.

He spotted a girl listening to music below a tree growing next to the cabin. There was something familiar about her but he couldn't place it. He stepped in front of her, blocking her sun and she looked up, blonde highlights and heavy eyeliner. "You staying in this cabin too?" he said, pointing to the building behind her.

Michael drove the yellow GTO into the parking lot, the motor roared above the din of unloading cars and campers, stares following him as he maneuvered it deftly among the crowd. It would take his father a few weeks to notice one of his favorite cars was gone, a nice parting shot on his last summer of high school adolescence. It had been a few years since being back in Cherryville, his parents had avoided bringing him home, as if returning would cause an incident. All it had done is cause resentment towards the parents who'd taken him away from everything he knew.

Cherryville had changed some over the years, it was true you don't know what you got until its gone. They paved the Paradise, and put up a parking lot. He had loved that cafe, fond memories of burgers with his friends came to mind but it was gone now. Few connections left in Cherryville Michael thought the camp would be a chance to recall some pleasant times. He had come here with his closest friends when he was younger. Now it looked, smaller.

Bags in hand followed the signs to registration, his muscles rippling under the tight t-shirt as he effortlessly swung the heavy over his shoulders. The people at the registration table gave tired smiles from behind the cheap sunglasses, each dressed in thin, printed t-shirts, "name?" The lady gave an appraising glance over his blonde haired, 6' 4' frame as he towered over her table.

Dropping a bag, kept one over his shoulder showing off a bulging bicep, "Kavanaugh, Michael." She slowly handed him a packet with his cabin assignment and camp information, flashing her a dimpled smile, "thanks babe." A blue eyed, mischevious wink as he leaned down to get his bag, she gave a slight giggle in response, her cheeks blushing slightly in the sun.

The camp had aged worse than expected over time, the paint on the timbers was old and cracked. A summer slumber hung over the camp, as if it was waking up with the arrival of everyone, the smell of a thousand nights of bonfires and weiner roasts filled his senses. Everything looked functional but without the fun. Youthful memories faded with each step, a friendly smile on his lips as he greeted other campers already excitedly planning their weeks ahead or catching up with old friends. In the assigned cabin, small steel framed beds with thin mattresses were lined up, dropping his bags on and empty one by the back wall, dust shaking out of the joints of the bed.

Sighing, whispered to himself in disappointment, "what did I expect?"

Serenity was moving her head slightly to the music as she watched other campers move around the grounds. Picturing the four of them, running and screaming across the front lawn because Michael or Rob had found some critter or gotten their hands on water ballons and decided to chase Callie and her wit them. The sun beating down on her, made her wish she had packed more appropriate colored clothes. Being in all black with the occasional white tank top could cause to be an issue. Then again Serenity planned to ditch this camp in a few days, once her mother would be out of town and to far away to do anything about her leaving. That was the plan at least. Switching through songs on her ipod, the sun became shaded. Glancing up, arched brow to see the guy standing in front of her.

Removing the ear buds from her ears she looked at him slightly aggrivated, that was until the familiar features of the guy stunned her momentarily. "Sorry, I could not hear you." she stood up, running her hands through her hair. As her blue eyes settled upon his green eyes, she could not help but to think of Rob. This guy looked almost exactly like him, except more grown up. "Do I know you?" she questioned before he could ask his question again. Serenity normally did not socialize with people outside her new found group at home, but something about him made her feel as if they had known each other before.

Callie exits the bathroom, drying her hands on her shorts. 'No paper towel. No surprise.' She sighs. The lake. There is it again, beckoning her. It's a pull she can't refuse any more. In her mind, when she's surrounded by those thoughts, she feels happy again. Complete. A feeling she hasn't felt in years. Her shoes barely make a sound on the stone path down to the lake. It felt like she hadn't been away for years. The breeze blowing through her long hair, and that all too familiar smell filling her senses drawing a smile to her lips. "Perfect. At least some things never change." She leaned down picking up a rock and skipped it across the water. The most powerful memory as of yet settled over, wrapping her up in warmth. The evening, just before dusk, when the campfire had just been started and the smell of burning wood and embers drifted in the breeze down towards the lake and them. Rob. He had taught her how to skip a rock that summer, that night. Coming up behind her, reaching his hand in hers', and telling her how to do it. She had laughed at her feeble attempts until she finally got it. "Rob! I got it! I did it!" She had turned and wrapped her arms around him. She was the happiest she had ever been that night. It had been such a simple moment, but it was...."Perfect," she sighed.

Callie brushed away a stray tear before hoping no one had caught it. The daughter of the great and powerful wizard of Oz, Mr. Coleman, could not have a daughter that dared to cry. Crying. Friends. A heart. Emotions. Those were things he frowned upon. They got in the way. 'You have to grow up Callie. Leave them all behind. You're a big girl now. More important than that, you're a Coleman.' His words still echoed in her mind. Words she had grown to life by. Hearts, feeling, friendships, they truly did get in the way, and she had been stupid enough to believe they would last. "Last," she said angrily as she slammed a rock hard into the water. 'Yeah right. They didn't even write. They didn't call. Nothing. I was gone, and that was that. Guess they were glad to be rid of the nerd. Serenity was too good to be my friend. I was never gonna fit in around Micheal either. Rob was just being nice to me because I'm nothing more than a nerd. A geek. "A Coleman," she said slamming another rock into the water. 'A Coleman. That's all I'll ever be. I can't wait to get this summer over so I can start being formally groomed to take over my father's company. Then I'll get it. Respect. Power. That's all that's important.

Robbie looked down at the girl under the tree. She seemed oddly familiar, as if a ghost of the past had shimmered into being. He couldn't place her though, and simply ended up repeating his question as she tugged out her earbuds.

"Are you staying in this cabin too?" he asked, pointing at the sun-baked log building behind them, "I...I don't really know anyone here and thought I may as well introduce myself."

He pushed a little rock around with his shoe as he spoke, a little embarrassed by how awkward this was. Robbie had always been shy and, although moving from Cherryville had helped ease him out of his shell a bit, he was still slow and mumbling around strangers. And this girl looked so familiar with her blonde hair and dark eyes. He chewed his lip for a second as he considered her, his hands stuffed into the pockets of his High School Running Team jersey.

"I'm Robbie Alexander" he said meeting her eyes and then, suddenly, realised who she was. Or who he thought she was. He cracked a lopsided grin. "And aren't you Serenity Salvator?"

Pulling his Ray Bans from his bag, rested them on his head and stepped out of the cabin, the sun wasn't that bright but he liked to hide his eyes. Michael knew he also looked cool in them. The area by the parking lot was still full of people, campers milled about chatting and lugging bags, some waved enthusiastic greetings and a few girls gave him admiring looks as they walked by. Stretching, showing off his bulging biceps and pecs, sighed and turned away from the crowd. The lake looked inviting at least. It had been the scene of a few summers of fun with the old gang.

Searching for a familiar face didn't find much hope in the others around him, Michael knew it would be a long shot to see anyone he might remember from Cherryville. No one his age went to camps anymore, most were at the beach or hanging out at someone's pool. He certainly could have done that, but to be in the house, their house, his parent's house it did not feel right. The place wasn't him any more. Even the room, untouched since he left wasn't him, though the maids were scrupulous about cleaning it up, other than memories the place was hollow.

Slipping out of his shoes walked along the edge of the lake, rolling up his pants legs to mid-calf, the cool water ran over his feet. Ahead a girl, a hot one, was skipping rocks. A few good throws, then a splash as she threw one in with anger. As he neared something about her struck a memory. People change but the little things don't, the way a wrist moves, a gesture, a turn of the cheek, that remains as one ages. Nearing her the face and hair were not what he remembered, but something within recalled her before his mind had a chance to grasp at the memory.

"Callie? Callie Coleman?" His voice was deep, questioning as he stepped up. A jaunty angle on his hips and a dimpled, smile on his face, letting his eyes run up and down her body, "you're looking great after all these years."

Serenity arched a brow. "No, I am not in that cabin, I am farther up." she stated as she almost put her ear buds back in. That was until he stated his name. Robbie, Robbie Alexander. Her eyes winded, could it really be him? Serenity let her eyes travel up and down him and then the truth came out as he spoke her name.

"Oh my god..." was all she could fluster up to say. "Wow, I can not believe you are really here...." A smile came to her face, and before she realized it she hugged him. Backing off quickly, she regained her composer. Looking around, she grinned. "How have you been?" she questioned. Fearing the answer, only because they had not spoken in a few years. Although the verbal promise each of them made one by one as they all left had been broken over and over again.

“Callie? Callie Coleman?”

She turned towards the voice. “Back off. I’m not signing any magazines you might have because of my father. Alright? I’m here to relax, as much as I can at this dump, so if you don’t mind, and even if you do, I’m busy burying rocks at the bottom of this lake,” she smirked. “But thanks for the kind words Michael. You always did know what to say to cheer me up.” She leaned down grasping another rock, and the realization of what she just said hit her like a ton of bricks. “Michael,” she questioned shooting upright. “Michael? Oh my gosh Michael! What the hell are you doing here?” She bolted out into the water, almost near him, ready to wrap her arms around his neck when she stopped. “I mean….hi. Nice to….see you again. It’s been a while. You look….great,” she said, her eyes sweeping over his body. “Indeed it has been a long time.” She stood there, in the water, rubbing her hands together. “This is awkward. I’ll bet you never expected to see me again. If you had, why you might have taken the time to actually answer a letter every once in a while, but I guess a pretty boy like you is far too busy with the ladies to respond to the likes of me.” Her old facade descending upon her once more, her bitter attitude began to shine through.

“Nice sunglasses,” she told him as she turned starting to walk from the water. “All the better to hide the monster behind them. Right?” Callie was a bitter young lady. After her father told her they were moving overseas, she had made each and every one of them promise to write her. They all said they would, but she never received a single letter. It wasn’t for effort on their part. The letters came, and her father intercepted every single one, writing on them “Return to Sender”. He simply told Callie, as she was heartbroken, “it’s time to move on. It’s time grow up. Put those people behind you.” People. He had actually used the word people. In Callie’s house there were no friends. You had people, associates, and business contacts. You didn’t have friends, and as the weeks went by without a word from any of them, she began to believe she never did have friends. She was just the geeky, nerd they all too pity on. So she made up her mind to make something of herself. Shutting out the world, she focused on her studies, as if she really needed to, and had made a name for herself as an accomplished scholar receiving accolades of all sorts. Colleges were lining up wanting her to attend. She literally had her pick of anywhere she wanted to go. Sadly the name she had made for herself wasn’t always a good one. Cold, heartless, bitch, shrewd, a force to be reckoned with were some of the other titles that would accompany her photo in magazines. She was to be groomed to take over her father’s company, and the business world had been put on alert.

Now she stood by the bank of the lake, feet wet, arms crossed, starring at part of her past. A painful part that was bringing up all sorts of memories and not all of them were bad. “It’s been a real slice to see you again Michael, but really. Do we have anything to talk about anymore? I don’t think so. You see you like bimbo airheads, and I actually have a brain. We’re just too different. I tell you what. There’s some bleach blondes over by the docks. I think they’re going to lie out in the sun and totally get their tan on,” she mocked. “I’m sure they would be impressed by you and your body. Go flex your muscles for them. Who knows! Maybe they brought their Barbie dolls and they’ll let you play with them,” again she mocked excitement. “I’ve got acquisitions to look through. Some of us have work to do while we’re here.”

He was surprised by the hug, awkwardly wrapping his arms around her for a brief moment before she pulled away. She had always been like the sister he'd never had, Serenity, and he could hardly believe she was here right in front of him.

"Ok" Robbie shrugged, unsure of what to make of it all. It was suddenly quite awkward seeing her here, his old friend from many many years before. He pushed a little of the dirt around with the toe of his shoe. He frowned, anxious, before looking back at her.

"I'm ok. Its been a long time Serenity. Too long. I...I meant to write, but its just....y'know". He shrugged. Really there had been no excuse. They had been friends for years, longer than anyone else, but that had been harder and harder to sustain when he and his parents moved away. Serenity and he had kept in touch through IMs and texting but, ultimately, they had drifted apart.

And now here she was. Real as life in front of him.

He took a deep breath and smiled. "I was thinking that this would be a really crappy holiday but, seeing as you're here, I can't help but think this is going to be better than I imagined". He chuckled at a sudden thought "hey, wouldn't it be weird if CC and Michael were here?"

As she started talking he was unsure if she remembered him at first, Michael wanted to say something but then he saw recognition in her eyes. When she ran into the lake his heart skipped, all the bad incidents between them gone, a glimmer of happiness permeated his soul, reflected in his smile. Then Callie became Callie. She began the haltering talk, back and forth as she asked questions and answered them in the next breath. It was like the past few years were recounted against him, and the more she spoke the more he felt offended. Take a deep breath, feeling his lungs and chest fill, tried to calm himself knowing it was just the way she was. Then she stopped with a final recrimination.

Pulling off the sunglasses the anger apparent in his eyes, he tried to hold it off to take the edge off his voice. "I guess some things don't change do they? Running hot and cold as usual, except now you can turn your own taps, instead of me or someone else doing it for you." The mention of the letters were the last straw, those he did send, but he knew what happened; though with her he was not sure so he let it go. That was easier. "I sent you two letters," stepping nearer leaned down and let himself lose control, feeling a flush rise in his face. "Both were returned to me unopened! Typical Callie though, you were never the first one to send out were you? No, it has to be someone else, so you can play the victim. Grow up Callie, if you see a problem fix it, don't make it worse like you always do."

Stepping away from her and making a point from turning away from the dock, he wasn't really mad at her and he knew it. Callie knew instinctively how to press his buttons, sometimes he thought she didn't even know she was doing it. Some people used to think they were a couple the way they went at it, but that had never been the case. He was not going to give her the satisfaction, a few steps and he turned. "You don't know what I've been doing the past few years, so don't go judging me. I could on you, but what would be the point, eh? I was genuinely glad to see you, now I am not so sure." Feeling the pinch in his hand realized the sunglasses bit into his fist, thankfully they did not break. "Enjoy your rocks," he wanted to say more but he knew it would be pointless nothing ever got through the egghead. She knew it all already, born with a silver encyclopedia in hand he used to joke.

Michael placed the glasses back on and stomped through the water the way he had come, kicking the ripples in frustration. His chest heaving as if he'd done a few bench sets, his arms and hands shaking from the adrenaline rush, he wondered if it was a mistake to come back. So far it was looking like it was, at least he had the car if he wanted to skip. He was usually wise enough to plan an out if he needed one, it worked for him on the football field and in life. Making one of the few sayings his Dad gave him actually be some real fucking wisdom for once, 'Life is like football...' then some stupid homily to finish it up.

Serenity shrugged. "It has been a long time." she shifted where she stood. This had just turned awkward, and now she wanted to run away and hope that he forgot about seeing her there. "Yeah, I know, life got in the way, new friends, new people." she rolled her eyes. "I guess that what everyone excuse will be huh?"

Serenity reminded herself that they both had tried, from texting and skyping every night. Letters and pictures once a month but slowly every thing stopped. There were no more texts, missed skype dates, and eventually the letters stopped coming as well. It happened with CC, every letter she had written was sent back 'Return To Sender' written across the envelope.

"Well since I now know someone in this antique camp, it may be decent." she replied. Her face from in a disgusted way when he mentioned Callie and Micheal, neither of them had tried to contact her once they left. At least Micheal did not send back the letters. "Honestly I hope their not, that probably would end up badly for anyone involved." she stated. Glancing around she noticed the peers in the front field of the camp had started to disperse. Probably in search of their cabins, or activities.

"Well Robbie, it was good to see you again, but I think I am going to head out and explore." she shrugged. "Maybe something has changed and it wont be like a bad page in a year book." she turned on her heel and headed down the closest dirt path she could find.

In a fit of anger, she grabbed another rock and let it fly hitting him square in the back. “I DO fix problem Michael, or don’t you remember that from school? Hmmm? ‘Oh Callie help me with this? Callie I don’t quite get this problem. Callie. Callie. Callie. You were like a broken record back then, and I was so desperate for ANYBODY to like me, but you’re just like the others. You only talked to me to get help with your stupid school work! You were never interested in being my friend. No. You needed somebody to fix all your little problems. Well now I’m fixing my own problems, and it’s real easy. I’ll even share my secret with you for free. I don’t let anybody in anymore. Nobody in, no problems! Problem solved, and don’t you dare worry about me playing the victim. I’m nobody’s victim anymore. I made sure of that. I am the one who has grown up while people like you hide behind your expensive sunglasses and pretty looks. Unopened? Ask yourself this question Michael. Did I ever, EVER turn you away when you came to me for help? No. So why would I send your letters back?” She glared at him, her own angry tears streaming down her face now. She hadn’t even realized she had started to cry. Her fists were now balled up by her sides, and some of the other campers had started to stare.

“I thought you were my friend Michael. I guess I was wrong all this time. I was afraid of that when I didn’t hear from you. Now? You just proved it, “she said turning and quickly walking away along the bank of the lake. Where she was going, she had no idea, but she kept walking, looking down, wiping away the tears that her once friend had drawn from her.

Robbie was stung by the change in Serenity. The two of them had been so close, so very close, when they were growing up. Brother and sister close. He had been her first friend, and she his, and they had been inseparable. If it had been any other connection people might have thought they were a couple. But, really, everyone in Cherryville knew that Robbie and Serenity were a pair. Friends forever. They had sat next to each other in school, slept over at each others' houses, even shared a birthday party or two despite their actual birthdays being months apart.

And now it seemed to have collapsed before his eyes. She wasn't rude, not in words, but he could see the pain on her face, the ache clear to see. She had been hurt badly by the distance, by the collapse of their little world, and now she was pushing him away.

"See you around" he mumbled as she stalked off.

He was still in his running gear, living in tracksuits these days, and he felt the familiar urge well up inside him. Robbie had taken up track when he moved, finding he enjoyed the solitude of running to his own beat. At first it had been a way to cope with the loneliness of a new school but, even after making friends, he had stuck with it. It had seemed....special.

Now his feet took off of their own accord and he was soon beating a steady and rapid pace around the dirt paths that ringed the camp. He was going so fast, so wrapped up in his world, that he didn't see the blue-haired girl come around the corner until it was too late. He barreled into her, managing to skid to a stop with his arms around her to steady them both. He panted for breath.

"Sor..." he began and then his heart froze. That tear-stained face. Could it be...

"CC" he said softly, his heart pounding like a bass drum, "Oh CC".

The rock stung, but not as much as the words. Callie and he had always been tumultuous, their bouts of closeness followed by pushing each other away. In the end they came back together, some invisible force pulling them in close orbit of each other. Angry as she he watched her stomp off, knew they were both wrong, distance often made him forget. Out of sight, out of mind.

Michael was happy to see Callie, to see them fall back into their old pattern with a worse result, concerned him. If he saw Robbie or Serenity, what would it be like then? He didn't want to make the same mistake, especially not with Serenity. He still had feelings for her. Since that afternoon they waited out the thunderstorm, stuck at the playground, there had always been a strong thread between them, even if nothing had come of it.

Turning away from the lake, walked along a path back to the camp. Michael's mind a jumble after the anger had worn off, jumping into a sad reverie thinking about the friends he left behind. He could waste time unpacking, let her cool down and apologize to Callie later and see if there was something to salvage. If not, it was going to be a long summer.

Passing into the shadows of the trees he saw the face, at once recognizable with the past already at the surface of his mind he stopped and watched her walk towards him. A silent curse passing his lips as he looked down at her and watched her approach.

Steeling himself, his heart skipping a beat at the years that had passed without her. Swallowing hard as he quickly walked up to her, stopping a few feet from her and blocking the path. The smile on his face faded, looking into her eyes and let the air out of his lungs. "Serenity, I'm sorry."

Serenity walked along the path, trying to keep from bumping into to people. She wanted to be left alone, to think,to run away, to do anything but sit still in her cabin ignoring her past. "Ignore it." she mumbled allowed trying to make herself believe that that would be the right thing to do. Ignore the fact Robbie was here and everything would be okay.

The walk seemed to be easy, no one was out searching and uncovering things to do yet this summer. Voices full of chatter and excitement could be heard of in the distance, keeping most of her thoughts away as she listened. Until that voice caught her, glancing up her heart skipped a beat. Michael. "Seriously?" she groaned. She had had enough of the pat for one day.

Taking a good look at him, he looked as if he had seen a ghost. It was strange because she herself probably looked the same way since she had seen Robbie. "Michael, what are you doing here?" she questioned. "I do not want your apologies. I do not even want the explanation..." the sob caught in her throat.

Letting out a long sigh she shook her head. "What do you want? To dredge up the past, to remind me that everyone of you left me without a single word after?" she stepped forward and pushed him. Unlike Callie and Robbie, physical contact was her way of letting her anger out, she was not scared to step up to anyone.

She had wiped away a few of her tears, but Callie was just more interested in getting as far away from Michael as she could. ‘Some things never change. Daddy was right. You can’t trust anyone. I really shouldn’t have trusted any of them! They didn’t ever really want me around. They all just felt sorry for me.’ The more she thought about it, the more her anger grew.

In her path to put distance between her and Michael, she had gotten lost in her thoughts and rage. She never saw him coming until he smashed into her, grabbing her. She cried out, and her mouth hung open as she heard the soft voice speaking her name. “CC? Nobody called me that but my frie,” her voice stopped as she looked into his eyes. “R-Robbie? What are you doing here? This can’t be real. You’ve gotta be a dream or something.” Her voice was shaky, and before he could answer any of her questions, she pulled him close, tight, before her mind could even grasp her actions. “This isn’t real. This is a dream. That jerk on the path hit me so hard he knocked me out, and my mind is reaching for something comforting. It’s you Robbie. You were always my comfort. You were,” she leaned back, releasing her hold on him as the realization set in. “You’re real. This is real. I hugged you. You’re…..” Her expression hardened. “You’re the jerk that hit me! What the hell is your problem? Don’t you watch where you’re going, or do you just walk all over people and never look back? Yeah. That’s it. You never look back! You’re glad to leave certain things in the past! You’re in such a rush to do just that all the time.” She gritted her teeth, biting back tears. “I will not cry. Crying is for….the weak.” Those were the very words her father had always told her a million times growing up. He didn’t care if her friends were around when he said it or not. “Crying is for the weak,” she repeated. Callie lets her arms fall by her sides before she steps back away from him. “Why are you here Robbie? First Michael and now you? What next? Serenity? That’s one last person I do NOT want to see. I can’t handle that. She’s no better than the rest of you.”

He was stunned, just letting her rant and rage at him, standing there poleaxed in the path. She had hugged him and then, just as quickly, shoved him away.

He caught her hand, stopping her from moving away, grabbing her and not letting go.

"Wait CC. Wait" he said, anxious, clasping her small hand in his.

She had changed. Her hair was now an electric blue, her clothes even more fashionable than they had ever been, and her attitude....It was as it had been with Serenity but worse. More jarring and harsh, her words stinging and cutting. Did she really think what she was saying was true? Was right? That all this should have been left in the past. That her feelings didn't matter.

He tugged her closer, feeling the resistance in her arms, and pulled her in. "CC. Don't. I wrote. I called. I emailed. Hell, I did everything save putting a message in a bottle and floating it out to sea. You never responded. Not once. And your pissed at me?! I don't believe it!"

He was suddenly angry, annoyed with her for feeling this way, even though she had every right to. He frowned, eyes flashing, waiting for an answer.

Serenity never backed down, it took Michael back as she came at him, hands curled into fists. Tensing as each struck she only hit muscle, the concentration on her face, the furrowed line across her brow gave her a serious edge that made him step back. He moved in a tight circle on the path, each of Serenity's fists felt more than heard above the trees and birds in the bucolic scene around them. Shadows and light played over Serenity giving the hair a bright lustre, the bright blue eyes inside the dark make up were flaring.

Finding it almost comical, he kept from laughing, knowing that would piss her off even more.

"I sent out a letter to Callie and to you," stepping back with each word that drew her on, giving a warning glance to the others who passed by and avoided them. "Callie's came back unopened, and I never got a reply from you. I waited, then it just seemed too long to try again," shrugging as he stopped and let her beat on him. It probably hurt her worse than it did him.

"After awhile I never thought I'd come back so it just seemed easier to put it all in the past," Michael wanted to be angry at her. At the whole situation, but it seemed ridiculous. Two of the people he cared for most at one time were back, and it was like they had all drifted so far apart they were not the same anymore. He had always cared about Serenity, keeping others from bothering her, though she never knew it. He had liked her, they were close when he needed someone close.

"I don't want to dredge up the past," the words come out as he stood. With Serenity it had always been different, she had taught him to not take shit. To let it all slide, and he used all of that now. Looking down at her, wanting to find some connection, taking her hands in his as she swung at him, held her hands close. "I don't know why I came back, I didn't have to, it was probably a stupid idea to try and recall all those summers." He held her a moment, letting the anger wash away, replaced by a sadness of many lost years.

The words came out slowly, like a breath, "just one, last time."

Serenity did not give in, it may have been pointless to be punching him in the chest because it was hurting her hands but it was better then not doing it. Her blues eyes flared in anger and he just accepted it, Why wont he stop me...at least try to stop me. she thought to her self. Not giving any of the other passing by campers a thought she continued on.

As she thought about what he said, it was true, he had sent a letter. Damn...he is right.. She thought to her self. Once she had gotten the letter almost four months after he had left, she stared at the blank paper...What was there to write? Everything had happened so fast, and there was so much she wanted to say but it seemed pointless with him moving so far away.

By this point, tears had started forming in her eyes but she was fighting them. As she went to hit him again, his hand grabbed hers and held them close. Struggling against his restraint she finally gave him. Serenity's hands hurt, and she felt bad that she had hit him. "I did not know what to write...anything I did write never sounded right." she finally replied. It all truth she had missed Micheal, not as much as Robbie but she had missed him.

All the late night calls, and talks about life or what ever it was they were dealing with that neither of the other two knew about came flooding back to her. As Micheal stood there, keeping her fists from striking him again she sighed.

"I just wanted one last memory." she replied in a soft sigh as she rested her head on his chest.

She looked down at his hand holding her own. Callie only a moment to take in the sight, the feeling of him holding her like that before he pulled her in closer. It was instict, a reflex, for her to fight him. “Don’t call me CC! Nobody calls me that anymore. I’ve grown up. I’ve…..” She looked into his eyes. ‘I’ve missed you.’ The words so simple in her mind, but her lips couldn’t say them. “Besides, I never got any letters. Michael said the same thing. What? Do you guys expect me to believe that two different people sent me letters, and yet the mail service decided to send them back to you both? My family got every other piece of mail, but the letters from you two? Is that it? What? Did the words ‘Return to Sender’ magically appear….on….them.” Her words slowed as the horrible truth came to her. “Father,” she whispered. “That monster. He….kept them….from me.” She wasn’t speaking only of the letters. She meant her friends as well. The tears she had fought so hard to keep from falling traced down her cheeks now. “You..you..did write. Didn’t you? I never..got any letters..from you or anybody else.”

Her fighting had ceased as she stood there close to him. She wanted to embrace him. It was more than just a passing thought she had, but once more reality interuppted. “Robbie..I’m..sorry. I really am, but,” She began trying to step back. “A lot of time has passed. I’m not the same person anymore. I mean look at me,” she gestured. “Things change. People change. Time moves on. You have to forget things….people….and grow up. There comes a time to leave childhood things, people, dreams in the past. Thee are a lot of things, people, from my past that I still look back on....with fond memories," she looked away from him, her cheeks blushing, "but you have to move forward. You have to grow up." She sounded so much like her father. I mean come on. You can’t honestly tell me you still want the same things you did when we were kids and came here. Can you?”

His heart thumped in his chest, his eyes locked on hers. She was twisting, her body and her words both, her feet shuffling and almost moving on the path. Time seemed to stretch out and, as if in slow motion, Robbie could see the conflicting emotions play across her face. It was like watching a stormy sea calm, waves subsiding, only to be replaced, then, by a new turmoil from below. He couldn't be sure if what she said about her father was true or not, Robbie had been too young when they had all lived in Cherryville to really get a sense of what her father was and wasn't capable of. Still, it made sense, in a terrible way, and he was suddenly struck by how awful it must have been to have been so jarringly separated from everyone she had thought were friends.

She was fighting with herself, emotions flickering and words tumbling from her lips, and he could do nothing but watch, concern in his eyes, as she tried to deny feelings that were, as she spoke, rekindling in his breast. She was sweet, CC, ever so sweet. And funny. And kind. And clever. All the things that the awkward kid he had been had admired. He had relished their private time together, going over homework or just walking around or cycling without the other four. He'd loved their whole gang, of course, but what he and CC had had was special. Stolen moments of youth.

"I can. I do" he murmured, eyes fixed on hers. Her cheeks were flushed and he knew his must be to. He tugged on her hand, slowly, reeling her in like a fisherman despite the panicked staccato beat of his heart. "People change, CC, but you and I haven't. Not what we had between us. I've been on a promise for you forever, Callie Coleman, and I think its time you realised that".

And, with more courage than he had ever mustered in his entire life, he tugged her to him and planted an earnest, caring, passionate kiss on her surprised lips.

Feeling her struggles cease, she was then leaning against him. Her head against his chest. He looked down and realized how small and vulnerable she could be, holding her close stroked the curve of her head, soft hair under his hand as she sunk her head into his chest. Ignoring everything else he let the silence engulf them, like a balm that brought them closer, his heart beating a little faster.

"This is a great memory," Michael whispered looking down at her, not wanting to let her go.

Giving her a moment held her back so he could look down at her, dark rimmed eyes staring up at him. A part of him wanted more which surprised him, they had been close but never physical. Casting a deep, longing look in her eyes, "I already made a mess of things with Callie," he admitted guiltily his voice dropping as other campers walked by looking at the two of them. They looked to be a mismatch, but he did not care.

Michael lay a hand on her shoulder ignoring everyone else. "I did not want to do that with you. You're," the words caught in his throat. What could he say after so long? They'd been apart, living their own lives but she had always been there a part of his life.

"You know you're special to me, always have been." His hand trembled a bit as he felt the blush creep up his neck, "if I am going to spend a summer with anyone, I'm glad its you."

Serenity could not help but let a small laugh out. "You always think things like this are great." Letting her hands slip around his waist as she hugged him. Even though she was angry at him, she was glad to see him once again. The years of memories flooded through her, but right now she did not care.

"Made a mess of things with Callie?? Is she here?" she questioned, stunned and anger mixed all together. "Why would she even be in this dump?" she questioned, more to herself than him. Oblivious to the other campers walking by at the moment, her eyes were fixated on his. Wanting nothing more to lean up and kiss him, wanting to feel his arms around her again. All the emotions and thoughts got to her and she stepped back away from him, putting space between them again.

"You know your always going to be special to me, you get me more than anyone else or at least you used to." she stated as she placed her hand on his. "Come on, I hear there is going to be a big welcoming bonfire tonight, lets go check it out."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom