Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Can I Keep Her? [nightsorceress & katon]

katon

Super-Earth
16th Century, the time of Henry the VIII, with on going wars with France and expansion of the Empire continuing times are prosperous.

No just Prosper for James Drayton, this wife Jane recently lost her life to an illness not even the finest doctors could cure. Selling all of his Estate and Equity in London he moves him self to the country side, the county of Staffordshire. A rural area, not many people, no distractions, just peace and time to morn the passing of his wife.

Morning should take but only a few months, but for James many years have passed and still the realisation of his wife’s departure from the living world has not settled well. Locked away in his manor house he is all but isolated from the world. All but a few servants tend to him, he has cast the living away, diminished his social standing in pursuit of his works.

Admirable that a man would throw his life to his work but James is no normal man, his work is not that of an ordinary states person. He toils day and night reading and writing collecting information. Myths and rumours are all they are to most, but to James they are his work. Not a scholar not an astrologist, but a broken man, a man determined to find one thing. The secret of resurrection, with this secret endorsed his wife Jane will return to him, the times of happiness and blissfulness will return, dreams of producing a son with the woman he loved could become a reality. The chance to lead a normal and full life.

Most call him a fool, the dead are dead and they be in heaven or hell, there is no middle ground. Should she be in hell the devil won’t release her. Should she be in heaven she will not want to return to this world, gods side is the ultimate destination of all Christians. James religion is now forfeit, delving into the Dark Arts and Necromancy, all the devils arts not for mortals to try and understand.

All his attempts have failed until one day news came a phenomenon, the dead have risen. Newstead Abby located in the next county over. The dead had been reported walking the earth risen from their graves, exacting murders and revenge on the living.
The dead walk at night hunting down those that have wronged them and killing them in violent revenge. Normally things would be passed off as common murder, but when the victims have been drained of their blood old foke tales being to remerge, talk of vampires, the walking dead, hunters of the night, the undying ones.

“Everything dies, every thing has an end, these creatures are not undying, and they know the secrets to life and with it resurrection.” The sinister toiling of James Drayton perhaps have some truth now, as he departs for the adjoining county to join vampire and witch hunters alike in driving out the undead. Through capture of one of these creatures is the goal, only that which is alive is useful, well alive as dead can be.

Autumn and the leave fall from the trees, Arriving in Nottinghamshire James proceeds to follow the mindless rabble he met the pervious night in a tavern, they reckon the vampire is in the forest, seeking to capitalise on the dense trees and un mapped landscape until it’s trail goes cold. ‘These men smell of nothing more than ale and swine, any vampire will smell them coming before they even get close.’

Setting out with the men into the forest they travel deeper, some early morning drinking has slowed the group and the mid day sun is now setting, the hour of 1 is vastly diminishing and with it the light. Warnings of being out after dark have been reported, the most frequent time for vampire attacks. Fitter than the rest of the men and a damn site more sober James sets off alone leaving the group behind, from home he brought a few little tools that should help him capture a vampire.

The autumn wind is cold and the crunch of the leaves can be herd as James’s boots crush the leaves under foot as he hastily looks for any signs of a vampire. A good hour of running and he has all but lost the group, no matter to him the frequent movement has quelled the cold and a clearing comes into view. Walking briskly into the clearing it opens up, a few fallen tress, scattered rocks and falling yellow and brown leaves grace the floor. At first glance nothing of note, upon further investigation there is someone slumped to the floor. ‘A victim of the vampire!’ Rings in James’s mind, sliding his hand into his pocket his retrieves a bottle of Holy water kindly provided by a local priest in exchange for a ‘donation’ to the church.

Moving closer James strides with confidents. His black boots shinning well under the bleak autumn sun light, well maintained trousers matching that of his jacket show he is a man of importance, or so he would lead people to belive. His dress sense is indicative of the time, and his whole outfit is topped off with a large heavy brown coat, dressing him from head to toe in warmth. Though after his brief exercise it’s become a little uncomfortable.
Calling out to the collapsed person he will try and rouse them from a distance, getting mugged in the middle of no where would not do him and good.

“You there on your feet. Stand and address me.”

Lily was considered to be an ancient. There almost from the birth of her kind. So old now she has almost forgotten her mortal life. She even seem to forgot the years after she was turned, the first 2 hundred or so.

Lily had come to this town to help some fledgling vampires. It appeared that a rough had turned a bunch of mortals to vampires and then left them to try out their fangs on their own. Naturally these fledgling would seek out blood any which way the could having never be taught to control there lust. All they knew was that they wanted to live.

Lily had come to send them from this place to a group of vampires waiting and willing to teach them a more peaceful life. She had figured it would take a matter of days to find them and set them down the right path, but it proved to be more difficult. It had been weeks.

She had brought her own supply of blood with her so as not to take any from the livestock and other animals in the area, she did not want to cause more problems.

Now she slumped again a tree. Her raven colored hair in her face. She heard the mortals voice and she slowly rose and looked at him. Her skin was pale, almost white like snow. her eyes a vibrant purple. In her weaken state she forgot to hid her fangs "I am just on my way out of town sir, just stopping to rest"

The sound of laughing men grew louder, there exact location could not be point pointed as the echo of their voices rang around the silent forest. Before James stood a woman she, her black hair rolled down her face disguising most of her features. Her voice was soft as she spoke. Though not entirely forceful, more timid or weak. Her excuse of stopping to rest could have been some what valid apart from the fact most locals were afraid of the lurking vampires that had been sighted and there was also no distinguishable path near by. She was at a fair distance from him but showed none of the aggression a vampire would, James only had rumours and myths to base his facts on.

The sound of men grew louder. Closing the gap between him and the mysterious woman James holds is hand out and offers the young woman his assistance.

“My name is James Drayton, the rabble of men you can hear echoing are not with me, their drunk and looking for something. I doubt they are going to find it but on discovering a woman of your calibre I find it probable you will be taken advantage of. They are just farmers and men of the lower class, they’ve been drinking all day and a tiresome image of beauty such as your self will, more than turn their minds from hunting to something more devious.”

Removing his coat he offers it to the young woman it unconditionally, being rather concerned about her physical state. “Your so pale my dear, what have you been doing wondering his forest alone? Take my coat I insist the warmth should hopefully bring some colour back to your cheeks at least.”

Ushering to move away out of the clearing and back towards the direction of town James will walk by the woman, in her feeble state she maybe prone to collapse or just need support. The walk to town was down hill, which is always more favourable when one is tired or not quite up to the trek.

James had noticed the woman’s pale skin and her rather alluring yet oddly coloured eyes. He had never seen eye’s of that colour, he had read deeply into human anatomy in his time searching for information to the secrets of life, finding nothing of use he at least gained a common knowledge of human anatomy from it. He had failed to notice her fangs as she spoke to him, he was too busy understanding why a woman of natural beauty would be alone in the wood lands. Her eyes were odd and even though vampires were essentially predators they would indefinitely of had a discoloured eye pigment, slight retinal adjustments too as they were nocturnal hunters. At least by myth they were. Nothing added up though, a weak vampire should attack on opportunity, regardless of the ratifications, they were animals and their basic instinct to live would out way that of anything else.

Continuing to walk in silence James ponders more, the cold isn’t affecting him too much. He is too deep in concentration and the constant walking is vigorous enough to keep him warm. A chill of wind blows behind the pair, sending a shiver through James body and seeming to suck the heat from his body as he passes through him. Checking his pocket he takes out to hip flasks. Oddly he opens one and smells it, places that back into his pocket and proceeds to drink out of the other.

“Bitterly cold, isn’t it? Would you like something to drink? Should help warm you up from the cold. I would advise going steady if you do take a sip though, you’re so pale you don’t look like you’ve eaten for days.” Jokes James as he offers the flask to his new companion.

Before Lily could get a handle of what was happening she felt the weight of his coat on her. His scent covered the garment. There was something alluring about it. not in a vampire sense. No she wasn't think about his blood or anything like that. It was a need to connect with another being.

Lily clung tight to coat and she walked along with the stranger. She was to weak to fight him. She couldn't answer him when he spoke to her. And before they got to the town Lily collasped. unable to go another step.

The walk to town was further than expected and even James was being coming a little tiresome, even so light was beginning to fade and the warmth of a tavern was more alluring than the bitter cold that was ravaging the pair as they walked. The ground was still paved the coloured leaved over the ground, some were dry and had been on the ground for some time, they crunched under foot as the couple walked. James staring up at the skies and he walked and didn’t notice that the young woman had fallen behind and crashed to the floor.

Rushing back to her side the woman is completely exhausted. Dropping to his knees James pulls his coat tighter around the woman. He stumbles around with his hands to find a pulse on her neck, not being able to find it he assume it is too weak to be found by his untrained hands. Moving closer to her lips the soft touch of her breath meets his ear signalling the woman is still alive. Checking her mouth for signs of dehydration James stubbles upon the real reason he is here, her fangs protrude from her mouth, much larger than any human he has seen before. Large fangs the common trait of a vampire. Holding on in his arms he is so close to beginning his new research, but she is fading. Her weakened state obviously down to lack of food.

Vampires most common and only known food is blood, not the run of the mill item humans carry around, though their body’s are quite a good storage of the mentioned substance. Not wishing to trade his life for hers James decided not to attempt to cut him self open so she can feed. Neither to allow her to bite, myth state that a vampire bite changes the victim should the vampire not drain them of life.

Town wasn’t far, a brisk sprint down hill and they would be safe, within the confines of a tavern he would be able to muster some nourishment for the vampire. Raw meat always dripped blood, which could work. Struggling to pick the young woman up James manages to get her comfortably over his shoulder. Thoughts of how he can save her rushing though his mind he sets off in haste bounding down the hill.

Tripping and stumbling James tumbles with the young woman, animal instincts take over as the pain from the falls is replaced with adrenaline and the instinct to get the young woman to safety. The final few trees cleared and the road that ran adjacent to the forest was presented to James. One last groan as he adjusted the woman and tried to rush her back to the town. It’s wasn’t far, a few buildings could be seen and it seemed as if they were nothing more than a stones throw away. Limping and carrying her to the tavern concerned villagers noted the well dressed man carrying the limp woman.

Entering the tavern he so unelegantly kicked the door open to receive a dirty look from the owner sat opposite the door behind the reception, a few villagers were in the bar area of the tavern drinking quietly in a corner.

“Don’t just stand there man, she’s my wife! We took a fall, she’s in a bad way. Show me to my room im a doctor!” His desperate and anxious words gaining the attention of everyone in the room. The owner quickly led the way darting up the stairs to the room opening the door to the room for James to enter. Placing the woman down on the bed James threatens the owner for hovering in the door way. “For goodness sake how is a man to investigate his wife’s injuries with a pervert looming at the door!” The owner soon turned tail and hastily left, his foot steps the only sound as he made his way down the stairs.

Lily's world was black the whole time he carried her. She had no idea that he figured out her true nature. Her body lay limp and motionless as if she was a dead body. Well in many ways she was but she wasn't at the same time.

Lily eyes opened and she noticed the warmth around her. the smell of a fire going. the soft warmth of blankets underneath her body. She heard a mans voice and then footsteps walking away from her and a door closing. She looked over and her purple eyes focused on the man she met before, James, she thought his name was. "what happen? where are we?" she asked softly

James stood over the exhausted woman, a few stains of dirty on his face, his forehead now developing beads of sweat, a anaerobic exercise regime and an open fire aren’t the most relaxing things to do together.

“Don’t worry your safe, im going to try and help you, I suspect you need something of mine to live. Im going to try and help you.”

Looking around the room he tries to invent some way of infusing the woman with his blood. Looking around the room the obvious choice is a blood transfusion kit, not soothing the humble traveller carries with them so James must improvise further.
Grabbing his pen from the dresser he removes the lid and carries it to the bathroom, unscrewing the top he empties the sponge containing the ink and runs water through the shaft. In an attempt to some what clean it.

“Ok so im going to let you have my blood, I don’t know how much you need to sustain your self but im not one to give up on another, no matter what you are. I’ll stab the quill into my skin, normally this part release the ink, it should work as a crude syringe, you then have to suck out of the shaft, the harder you suck the more blood should flow, once you open the vein by sucking the pen the blood will build up and you can relax and drink easily.”

Rolling his sleeve he paces him self around the room, the joint between fore arm and bicep is one of the most abundant places for veins so this is James target point. His heart races and more sweat runs down his brow, the fear of the pain his will cause and the possibility for infection now being to out weight the risks and the woman’s life is of crucial importance.

Downing the remnants of his hip flask he places his arm down on the dresser and strikes with full force towards his arm. The unusual pop of skin runs a feeling a sickness up James arm to his body and he drops to the floor in agony straining to keep his screams of pain from leaving his mouth. The pen is well imbedded into his arm, a good half a inch all the way in. the pain alone enough to want to make James pass out he crawls across the floor to the bed side. Placing the pen at her lips he struggles to stay up right. Having to straggle him self over her body and rest his head against the wall. Looking down over her he pushed the pen into her mouth and forces the words from his mouth.

“Please take the blood……… Your safe here, im not letting you go.”

Lily's brows wrinkle at his words "what do you mean i need something of yours to live?!" she puzzled. Then she watched he paced the room. He seemed to be looking from something. Before she knew he had snatched a pen and dissapeared into the bathroom.

Then when finally did come out he explained himself. Her eyes grew huge as he told her what he had planed. The events after seem to unfold quickly in front of her eyes. She tried to stop him but it was to late. He jabbed the pen into his tender flesh. and was pushing at her lips with the end. She tried to fight it but her need to live over her took her. She drew straw only taking one deep sip. It enough to statiain her for a day, long enough for her to find something better. But it was not enough to have any true effect on him.

Lily sat up and ripping the quill from his flesh. She quickly replaced it with her hand. Putting pressure on his wound. "thank you, but you shouldn't have done that. there are better, safer, cleaner ways to go about these things." she then torn a piece of blanket and wrapped it tightly around his wound "i can stitch that for you if you like"

“Desperate times require desperate measures my dear. I wasn’t going to let you die and my knowledge of your kind is some what limited, years of murky facts have all but covered the tracks of any truth to your existence.”

James relived the woman, climbing off her and walking towards the fire, nursing his arm as he walked. “Thanks for the quick bandaging. If you can treat it that would be most appreciated, some alcohol and a clean dressing would suffice I think though.”

She looked a lot healthier and perky as she sat up on the bed, surprising how little blood she actually needed, a few pints was James guess. Introducing him self once more James probed as to why the woman was in the forest, there were so many questions he had and it was hard to know where to start.

“Please indulge me in any information about you, it is quite fascinating that you even exist. The majority of what I thought I knew about your kind has all but been dispelled. For one why did you not attack me for food?”

Once he paced away from her Lily got off the bed and stretched a little. Her body felt more alive again. Her skin was starting to warm but she still needed more blood to be herself. "if you wanted to know how i get my blood you could have asked me, i would have told you raw meat, or animals blood is what i prefer. I haven't tasted human blood since i was turned."

Lily tucked hair behind her ear as she moved closer to him. "My name is Lily. And you have no reason to fear me or my kind. Most won't do harm. But of course like in the mortal race there are a few bad apples."

Lily stood next to him warming herself by the fire. "that was what i was doing here. A rouge vampire turned 3 mortals and left them to figure out how to be vampires on there own. As you can imagine there was very afraid and confused."

James arm throbbed with pain and the pressure he could apply with his own hand wasn’t enough to push the pain way, lily’s offer of taking a look was becoming more appealing.

The realisation that she didn’t actually need his blood was a relief and a slight annoyance after he had just gone and stabbed him self to keep her alive. “I wont lie to you my arm is murderously painful, your offer to take a look would be most appreciated if it still stands?” A little pain and struggle residing in his voice as he removes his hand to re-asses the damage.

The light from the sun was dwindling as dusk approached, the men hadn’t returned back from the forest, though could easily have been in another pub else where in the village. Turning to face Lily she was magnificent, unknown to him her actual age but she was so pictures in her appearance, late twenties if the years had been kind to her. Her parents obviously of good stock to produce such a fine looking creature.

Grimly he turns to Lily offering his arm as he does. “So you’re saying out there, there are three maybe four murders wondering the woodlands waiting to attack? A chilling thought especially to a mortal such as my self.”

"of course." Before he had chance lily dissapeared into the bathroom. filling a bowl she found with water. then She found bandages and came out. She pulled him over to a table and began to work on his arm "The 3 young vampires are no longer out there. i have sent them off with other of our kind to help guide them." She began to clean the wound "most see being a vampire as gaining a large family" Lily smiled at him her fangs were gone now. She had the strength to hid them.

“Rouge vampires and nice vampires then, it’s like you have your own little community then. What do you mean by young vampires, is that recently changed or in terms how long they have been around? I have recently be delving into the realms of vampires, that’s why I came here, the recent attacks were a prefect way f or me to confirm my suspicions.”

He watched as Lily finished dressing his arm, he touch wasn’t cold as he expected her to be. Her skin colour had fully come back and her fangs had retracted back and were un-noticeable. Most of the prejudices the books foretold were soon diminishing, vampires were nothing more than normal people, just with some unusual eating disorder.

“How many of you are there, are we talking hundreds or thousands? History portrays vampires as a marginal minority. You are truly fascinating species, I would love to spend time understanding everything about your kind.”

"when i say young ones or fledglings i mean how long a mortal has been turned into a vampire." Lily paused a moment "there are ancients, ones that have been around the longest" Lily did not tell him she was considered one the ancients. She probably wouldn't until he asked. She did not like to show it off.

"as for our numbers, they are great let me just put it that way. But it doesn't seem like there is alot of us because for the most part we try to hid that we are just a little bit different" Lily again smiled at him. Her purple eyes locked on his "what other questions do you have?"

Amused at the news that vampires were more common that society had believed James takes a moment and wonders if any of the kings court were vampires. Maybe he him self had met one and not known.

“Is there some hidden vampire hierarchy or even vampire country that the mortal world has not yet found? Are you a nomadic kind, just travelling and keeping hidden?”

The sun had nearly set James and Lily had been speaking for some time. A rural tavern wasn’t the best place to be speaking to a vampire, not when the surrounding area was still looking for vampires. It was too dark to attempt to travel back to his home, it was at least half a days ride by private coach or a little faster by horse back.

“I have too many questions for you, I could keep you for an age just delving into the secrets and knowledge of your kind. This tavern isn’t the best place for us to be discussing your kind though, I would sooner wait until the morning. I live a few hours ride away, I would be delighted if you would accompany me back to my home so that I could begin to understand things more clearly. You would be nothing more than a guest, free to leave when you like and I would want nothing more than your knowledge in return.”

Though the woman was indeed enchanting, her beauty was of an ethereal sense her mysterious and piercing eyes always drew James attention to her as he tried not to stair at the woman. Beautiful as she was his heart belonged to his beloved Jane, even though death he still honoured the vows he had taken under the eyes of god at their wedding.

"our heirachy is based on the age of the vampire. Because age comes power and wisdom. But there is no set ruler or anything like that. As for traveling it is a needed that we travel since we never age. We can usually stay in one place for about 20 years before we must move on for fear of being found out"

Lily listen as he explained that he wanted to know more. SHe looked into his thoughts with her mind and found no dark reason for his interest. "alright we will travel to your home then tomorrow. I will let you rest for now"

((you can move time a head till when they are at him home))

James had a lot of information he needed to take in and the invite of rest relaxed him so what. The day had not been long or strainius, though he had archived his ultimate goal and was now in the process of having a vampire accompany home where he could learn more about their kind.

Laying on the bed James mind wondered and he closed his eyes to contemplate what secrets he may uncover. Lily’s words whirled around his head as he tried to pick a point where he would start fro the next morning. Wondering if she needed to sleep or not James drifted off.
Morning came and James jumped up immediately. It was light outside and a small amount of condensation was forming on each of the panes of glass. He had fallen asleep, rudely not even tending to his guest or offering her the bed. A feeling of embarrassment came over him and his less than gentlemanly way of looking after a lady.

Abruptly climbing out of bed he noticed he still wore the same cloths from yesterday, what must this woman think about such a lazy inconsiderate man. A few apologies later and the pair left the tavern. James paid for the room and threw a few extra coins the owner’s way, his behaviour had not been just the evening before, though it was necessary. But extra coin always diminishes any level of animosity in the lower standings of men.

The pair managed to acquire a carriage with relive easy, a well dressed man accompanying a woman enticed the sound of falling coins within a highwayman’s head, and within moments one would always appear. Discussing the location and direction of their destination James duly paid the man and they set off, with his purse somewhat lighter James resided in the fact that it was money well invested as he had acquired something that money could never buy. Money wasn’t an issue either to James, evidently so as the pair pulled up to a rather grand looking estate.

The carriage pulled up a sweeping gravel path, a rather ornate house came into view. The building was a typical design for the time. Spanning two floors the house was of a symmetrical design. Windows on the ground floor were mirrored horizontally above. The whole building was of grey sandy stone and the window frames were in turn decoratively grey. Chimneys on the roof stood tall and the afternoon sun hit the house and forced the windows to reflect it’s rays back out. The grounds of the house were just as impressive, the lawns were well looked after and a woodlands sheltered the young mans land from preying eyes.
The house looked to big for one man, it could of housed at least four families and there seemed there would still be adequate space.

Pulling to a halt James immediately jumped out and let out a sigh, it was good to be back home, in the familiar and more aesthetically pleasing grounds of his house. Helping Lily down from the carriage James reminds him self to be a gentleman. It had been a few years since he had entertained a lady, and Lily is one of an important nature.

Ushering her inside James was eager to get the young woman settled so that he may begin his work.

“A much nicer setting that that tavern wouldn’t you say? A damn sight more private as well, please come inside. You must be famished, I know I am.”

Once the man was a sleep Lily slipped from the room. She needed more nourishment. She slipped into the local butchers and took some raw meat. She did not like stealing but at this point she had little choice. So she took only 2 piece enough to sustain her a couple more days and in return she left coins.

Once she finished with her meal her color was brighter and she once again seemed more alive. She slipped back into the room and watch the fire dance. Once James awoke he made arrangments to leave and before she knew it they arrived at his home.

It grander than she thought it would be. She knew he was a man of means. As she entered his home she felt that there was a woman here at one time perhaps his wife. But she was gone, and then a feeling of saddness washed over her. She had died.

"oh yes, thank you." Lily smiled at james and his offer of food.

Proceeding through the house it was clear that the house was to big for one person, every door they passed was closed. As the neared the end of the hall way there was one room and the left that was open. Upon entering it was apparent this was where James spent most of his time. There was a large open fire against the back wall, on the left of the room a large book case filled with books, on the right side three large windows looked out over the greenery and the gravel path they had travelled up could be seen from the correct angle.

“As you can see I don’t use much of the house. I spend a lot of time in here, it’s just more convenient to stay in one room. You’re welcome to use any part of the house you choose. This is my favourite room, plenty of light from the window and a few steps across the hall and you find the kitchen. A good view and food, even the most extravagant of men would appreciate such a set up.”

The room was slightly cold, the fire was unlit and though the sun was still out it did little to heat the large room. The room was a definitely used, open books and papers coved a desk near the bookcase, a few armchairs were dotted around the fire place in a semi circle. Each having their own side table. Which in turn were stacked with books and papers. The man was obviously an intellectual, or some varied level of shut in. Still he was a pleasant enough person and had already made clear his intentions were nothing more than professional.

“The afternoon is drawing late, I think it would be more hospitable for me to give you a tour of the house and let you settle this evening. I offer my company should you desire it, though I fully understand a woman’s need for privacy. At any rate this is the room I spend most of my time in. If im not here im in the kitchen or asleep, so don’t let the houses size dwarf you. It was a little immature of me to select such a large house for my residence to begin with.”

Lily smiled as he spoke of his house. It grand, but she knew at one time he had grand plans for it. But she would not let such knowledge slip. She did not want to upset her new friend. Was he really become a friend to her. She thought on that a moment and quickly decided that yes he was.

Lily glanced at the books on the self and then looked to him "a tour of the house would be nice, and as for privacy i have spent years alone it would be nice to have company and someone to talk to" Lily warmly smiled at him

Smiling back James felt a warmth from this woman, one that he had not felt in a long time. Her reply of not wanting to spend time alone excited James so more, though he would have to keep his exuberance about him. He did not want to spend the night questioning his guest as if she was a prisoner.

“Very well, I’ll show you the house. Well start upstairs and work our way down. There are too many bed rooms that I don’t care to count them all so you can have pick of the litter.”

Leading the way James preceded up the stairs, Lily followed in turn. James wasn’t one for entertaining, he had a big house and managed to establish him self well in life but was never one to maraud his status or money over others and this somewhat caused the tour to be a bit dry. Walking around the top floor there wasn’t much to tell. The house was uniformly built, eight bed rooms, each with a bathroom, and a study between the each.

All the doors were closed but James endeavoured to open each in turn and show Lily, he did feel a bit ashamed of him self as he opened more rooms and they were exactly the same as the last. He felt he was foolishly trying to impress the woman, and by the end of the tour of the top floor had saddened him self some what that the house had no entirely been his idea and that he was perhaps disgracing his former wife by allowing some woman into their home. It was all necessary though, Lily was his key to bring back his beloved. It was imperative that she be allowed to stay and enjoy a lavish life style.

“Ok so that’s about everything, that room there is mine so you can pick any of the others, im sorry there isn’t much to show and im not one for entertaining. I’ll briefly show you the down stairs as well but you are welcome to explore in your own time. I have no secrets.”

Turning on his heels James led Lily back down the stairs and showed her the last of the down stairs rooms, mostly servants rooms for cleaning and cooking. An old drawing room which had never been used since he moved in by the look of it.

“I do have some servants but they are away as I expected my excursion to last a few days longer, but obviously meeting someone such as your self easily merits a premature excursion. We do have some food in the kitchen though I am still unsure about how you gain nourishment. I won’t ask any questions tonight, we will enjoy each other company.”

With a smile and a slight bow of the head James leaves Lily in the downstairs hall way and makes his way to the Kitchen.

Lily followed him around the house. although the house was large it was very plain. there was no warm touches to any of the rooms he showed her. Lily had many homes, and most were lavish and filled with things that she had found over the years. She was happy that when ever she did have company the place was always warm and inviting

Lily followed James back down stairs. and as he left her to head to the kitchen Lily quickly followed him "i know you are trying hard not ask questions but honestly i don't mind. You can spend the next 6 months asking me question after question." Lily looked around the kitchen a little "would you like me to cook, while you ask your questions"

Though the offer of food was inviting James had to weigh up the offer. The woman was genuine enough and seemed quite happy to cook and be questioned. James was a man of chivalry. He had not brought this woman to be some sort of maid to him, he was ment to be tending to her.
The through of his departed wife loomed in his mind. Was it right for him to allow another woman into their home, to stay in the house they had chosen together. Was he disregarding his vows of a married man by allowing some unknown woman into his home and accepting her hospitality? All these questions wondered around his mind, soon he dispelled them. What ever he thought ment nothing, the woman was here merely to appease his need for the secrets of life. Forgiveness would easily be granted when his wife returned to him.

Taking a moment before answering Lily, James pushes a smile through as his thoughts subside back into his mind. “I am afraid I am guilty there, I am much like a child at Christmas all I want to do is question you. And we are still on our original terms, you owe me nothing by being here you are a guest of mine I would sooner tend to your needs as a gentleman should. Though I am not the greatest cook, I am so used to having others look after me while I work.”

Hopping that he had not offended Lily by turning her offer away James waits for her reply. Even though he is a terrible cook and expects her cooking will surpass his with ease he will stand strong that she is not to feel she is a guest under obligable conditions.
He is also confused about how she knew he wanted to question her so severely, he thought he had hidden his desires fairly well.

Her red lips formed a small smile at his words. She even gave a short laugh "you act as if having a guest should be a formal matter. But did you not notice your guest is more than welling to cook. In fact i very much enjoy it, it is not often that i have someone to cook for. I often do not cook for myself because it no fun" Lily giggled

Lily moved closer to him her hand brushed against his. She was growing very fond of this mortal. She did not understand why. In all her years she never once grew to attached to any mortal man, but he was different. Maybe it was the fact that she didn't have to hid her true self. Or maybe his kindness. Or his handsome features.

As Lily took his hand James could do nothing but frown confusion coming over him. Such an odd touch. Pulling away from her touch he feels now is the time to start asking questions. “You’re warm! Why? You’re not supposed to be.”
Shortly after it struck him that the woman wasn’t going to allow him to persist with his charade of trying to be an upstanding gentleman.
“I suppose not needing to eat leaves you no need to cook. Some what counter productive to cook and then throw the food away. Your invitation is greatly accepted.” A weight had been lifted off the young mans shoulders, he felt he could be more confidant around her knowing that she was willing staying with him. And the more she felt welcome the more she maybe able to help him unlock the secrets needed to bring his wife back to him.

It had been many years since he had had a woman around the house Lily was a welcome change. Kindness only shone through her and he was glad she wasn’t the malicious vampire that his research had led him to belive. She was had human as he, no different apart from her undying soul and need for a rawer diet than his. Perhaps vampires were the true race humanity was ment to evolve into. Not the warmongering species of destruction they were no doubt turning into.

Back
Top Bottom