Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Running Brings Freedom (Frelance & Frogger)

Evo Var

Supernova
Taking one last look around the garage the light from the florescent tubes reflected of the deep blue of his eyes for a second before he shut the lights off and closed the door. After locking up he quickly went inside and got changed into something loose enough to run in. Taking a quick look in the mirror and smiled at the man looking back at him. Jason was not like most of the other guys at his school he worked hard to keep his body slim but toned. He knew that everyone thought he was just a weak skinny geek who spent all his time with computers but what they didn't see was that there was barely anything fat on his frame. Although slim his muscles were toned. He left the house running his hands through his hair. In the light of the street lamps it looked like a dark brown and except for a couple weeks that summer when he had dyed it that had always been its color.

After he had finished stretching and put in his ear buds as he started he run. After a couple of minutes he could feel his body relaxing. he gave himself a couple more minutes just to make sure he had loosened up enough before he started having a bit of fun. As he made his way down towards the river he took every opportunity to jump over the guards on the side of the roads and just ran straight for the walls in front of him as he came to a corner. He would run up to them and push off them with one leg at the last minute minimizing how much speed he lost as he rounded the corner. There was a stair case going down the side of a steep slope that lead down to the river and the paths that ran along it. He didn't hesitate as he ran to the beginning of the stairs then jumped down to the first landing then rolling to his feet and using his momentum to flip to the next landing. He repeated the jump and flip down the length of the stairs smoothly landing on his feet. He couldn't help but smile as he slowed and turned around to look behind him as he rested. Looking back up the stairs he wished he had thought to set up a few cameras beforehand. Maybe next time he would come out earlier and set a few video cameras up but that would have to wait until later.

After adjusting the muscle shirt and his loose knee length shorts he started running again. He tried not to think about the next day. It was the first day of his senior year which he was looking forward to it since it was his last year but he was dreading what it would entail. He pushed harder as he couldn't help think about the awkward situations and the abuse he had taken in the last few years. It wasn't that he had been targeted by anyone bully but he had a tendency to attract their attention when he would say or do something only to end up realizing afterwards how awkward he looked. Shaking his head to try get the memories out of his head he ran off the path and jumped onto a few large rocks that boarded the river as he neared the bridge. Jumping from one to the next he looked up and noticed someone else on he other side of the bridge. Quickly he jumped back to the path and kept running hoping whoever it was had not seen what he had been doing. He hated the thought of someone seeing him practicing and the joke that he would be when word got around. That was why he did his runs either before dawn or late at night when there weren't many people around.

Summer has finally come to an end, the leaves taking on tones of gold, bronze, and copper after being green for so long. A chill can be felt in the air, not unpleasant, but a hint that indicates winter is just around the corner. To be honest, it was Lily's favorite time of the year. Not too hold, not too cold. Just right. Lily began tying her hair back into a ponytail, several dark strands falling to lay against her cheeks and jawline. It was way past time that she got a haircut, but she neglected to do so over the summer, having had other things on her mind. About a month after school starts, an annual competition between four high schools will be taking place... and, out of everyone on her team, Lily was personally invited. Only the best of the best can go. It was a honor... however, she was beyond nervous. What if she trips over one of the jumps? What if she falls flat on her face, in front of everyone? What if-

Enough. I will cross that finish line, without a hitch. Lily thrust her chin forward, determination settling in the girl’s chest and taking residence there. Her eyes lifted, peeking up through long, thick lashes and meeting the exact same gaze she’s seen ever since she could remember. Flecks of gold sparkled within forest green, as did a ring of gold surrounding the irises. Lily finished tying her long hair back. A quick glance out through the window confirmed what was going through her head: time for a jog. Over the summer, most use the time to lounge about, to go out on dates, to play video games… but her, no. Lily didn’t waste her summer. No, every night she went out for a jog, and then during the day, she would work. It didn’t put a lot of money in her pocket… but it was enough. Lily slipped on a light jacket over the white tank top she always puts on every night, and adjusted the waistband of her loose shorts. “Alright, ready to go.” After making sure she has keys, cell phone, shoes on and all that, Lily went on out through the back door, the cool night caressing her skin like a mother would. Luckily her parents were out of town, so she didn’t have to explain her absence or anything. Her eyes closed, a smile forming on the girl’s lips as she enjoyed the moment.

Lily tilted her head, a few curly wisps of hair falling into her eyes as she put on headphones. Loud rock music blocked out the world… which is just the way she liked it. Navy blue has fall over everything, just a handful of lights providing a fraction of light to banish it, and in the distance, she could hear a dog barking, and someone yelling for the dog to be quiet. After a couple of stretches, Lily was off, the cool air once again brushing its invisible fingertips over her skin, but this time making goosebumps erupt over her arms and bare legs. It won’t be long until I have to wear sweatpants… she realized, with a great deal of dread. Winter was never one of her favorite seasons, and it never will be. If only it could stay warm forever… Throwing on the hood of her jacket, Lily took a right at the interaction, heading toward the bridge, which is a stop she always makes at some point during the night. It provided a wonderful view of the river. A tap on the shoulder caused Lily to whirl around, eyes wide and a fist raised in self-defense. The next heartbeat, she let her hand drop, relief spreading across her features. “Michelle, what are you doing out so late?” Lily asked, taking out one headphone so she could hear the answer. Michelle gave a nervous laugh, scratching the back of her head. “I saw you were out, and I’ve been wanting to talk with you for a while. Do you mind?” Lily shrugged, not really minding. “Care if I jog while we talk?”

“That’s fine.”

Jason slowed his pace as he got closer to the bridge. He was considering just running past the bridge and taking one of the other paths but as he got closer to the bridge he saw a group of guys heading towards him. He couldn't tell who the guys were but he decided he would rather not find out who they were. As he stepped onto the bridge he slowed to a walk. He had not gone far before he recognized the two girls who were on the other side of the bridge.

He had never talked to either of the girls being to shy to start a conversation with most people and only really voicing his opinion when he was asked a directly. He had one or two friends that he spoke openly to but they had graduated the year before which was also part of why he was not completely thrilled to have to go back to high school for another year. As he got closer to the girls he unzipped a pocket on his shorts and pulled out a pair of wireless Bluetooth ear buds once they had connected to his phone he hit play and smiled as the opening cords of re-education by rise against drowned out the world around him but more importantly to him it would drown out anything the girls said to him on the rare chance that they recognized him.

He started to get nervous as he got close to the girls. At school he rarely ever was seen in anything less than a hoodie. Even though he was fit he was still very self conscious about his body. He moved to the right side of the bridge to let the girls pass by him but at the last second he moved to the other side when he thought he had chosen the wrong side. He only realized his mistake when his foot caught Lily's causing him to stumble. Jason reacted without thinking and twisted to catch Lily. "Sorry, sorry." He was blushing and he couldn't wait to get out of there. When he was sure she would not going to fall face first onto the bridge he let go of her before standing and sprinting the rest of the way across the bridge. He headed home sooner than he normally would of when he was out for a run but he was more than a little nervous and really didn't want to run into either of the to girls again.

“Okay, so…” Michelle hurried to catch up, already panting slightly from exertion, “you know how I’m the President of our Photography Club? Well… this is my last year, and I was… thinking… we can…” Numerous strands of brown fell into bright blue, derailing the train of thought and whatever destination it may have had. Lily glanced over her shoulder, chuckling as she watched her long-time friend yank pieces of hair away. “You were thinking… what, exactly? Last time I was involved in something, I had to smile pretty and endure the blinding flashes of many cameras.”

Michelle shot the girl an annoyed look, which only intensified when her glasses slid down the length of her nose, and had to be put back where they belong. "Don't worry, it's nothing too... traumatic. This year is our last year, as high school students and with our fellow students... and I thought it'd be nice to document those who really stand out in the clubs. I, myself, will be included in this... though one of my fellow camera enthusiasts will need to follow me around while I am documenting you, or whoever... Back to the subject! What do you think of it?" Michelle glanced out of the corner of her eye, studying the expression Lily had written on her features. "Before you say no... I think you are the best athlete at our school. I mean... you're involved in track, volleyball, softball... just about everything that matters. I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't join the swim team before too long."

“Ah…” Lily gave a nervous, awkward laugh. “Funny that you mention that…” One moment. Sometimes, that is all it takes… especially when a glance is involved, and a break of concentration. Her eyes darting off to the side in order to meet another pair, Lily didn’t notice someone moving in front… much less know, until their foot caught hers, making the girl fall forward. “Ah-!” Lily threw her arms out, already anticipating the impact… when a pair of arms wrapped around the girl, halting the descent. “Sorry, sorry.” Wait a second… Is that who I think it is…? Heart slamming against her rib cage, Lily lifted her gaze… only for recognition to flash through those forest green eyes of hers, bringing out the golden flecks hidden within all the more. In a flash, he was gone… leaving the girl confused, curious, and a hell of a lot more than that.

As Jason ran he pushed himself harder than before hoping to burn off his nervous energy. He was sure that Lily and recognized him from the flash in her eyes. He could only hope that she would not bring up his clumsiness if he ran into her at school. By the time he got home his breath was ragged, he waited until he had his breathing under control before he slipped inside. Once he was inside he made his way into the kitchen and grabbed a few bottle of water before heading into the basement. He took a quite shower before he lay down in bed. It took him a couple hours to get to sleep even though he was exhausted from his run his nerves kept him awake.

When his alarm woke him up in the morning he pulled himself out of bed and got dressed in a pair of loose cargo pants then pulled on a simple muscle shirt like he had on the night before he slipped on a black rise against hoodie that was at least one size to big on him. He looked up as he heard the floor boards creaking as his mother started to get up. Grabbing his backpack he slipped it on and headed upstairs. He tried to ignore the pill of bills on the table as he made himself a coffee and tried to eat some breakfast. When his mother came into the room she smiled and made herself a cup of coffee. "So do you have any plans for your first day? Will you be going out with your friends after school or should I make sure to make some dinner for both of us when I get home from work."

Jason just shook his head and got up from the table. He scrapped most of his food into the garbage before filling a travel mug with a mix of coffee and hot chocolate powder. "I will probably just come home. Maybe deliver some of the computers that I fixed up if I can sell them." He shrugged as he picked up his backpack. She got up and came over giving him a quick hug before letting go of Jason and messed with his hair a bit. "Try to have some fun. This is your last year just do your best. I know you will do well. You always do." He gave her a small smile before leaving the house and heading for the school.

He walked past the first couple of bus stops until he saw one where a few students stood up and moved to the edge of the road. Glancing over his shoulder he saw the bus coming and got in line. Once at the school he headed for his locker his headphones drowning out the sound of new and returning students as he slipped his way through the crowded halls. Once he had the books he needed he headed for class not wanting to linger in the halls. The homeroom teacher looked up and smiled as he walked in but said nothing as Jason walked to a seat about halfway down the room on the side of the room. After sitting down he pulled out a notebook and started reading through it and making a few notes as he waited for class to start.

Is that who I think it was? Lily could not help but wonder all throughout her conversation with Michelle, barely paying any attention to what was being said… or to what she was saying. In the end, she agreed to whatever crazy idea Michelle has come up with, and ventured on with her jog… alone. Her steps echoed through the darkness, and the cool breeze caressed the girl’s features, brushing aside curls of hair from her eyes. I don’t know him very well, but I do recognize Jason… I mean, I had him in some of my classes… In math class, I know for certain...others, I’m not sure. I’ve also seen him around… helping the teachers with their computers and all that… What was he doing out so late? Lily made a right turn, playing with her headphones and trying to change the songs on her MP3 player.

No… it’s just not possible, not at all. Jason isn’t that sort of person. Lily brushed aside such thoughts… at least, until later on, preferring to focus on the run. Her eyes lifted finally, street lights reflecting off forest green, and exposing the golden specks hiding within the depths. About an hour later, Lily began making her way home, a pleasant ache residing in her bones. Not too long after that, a shower was taken, and she was in bed… the hours passing by, night giving way to day. The clock went off at seven, its annoying call to rise echoing throughout the room… much to Lily’s annoyance. With a grumble, she emerged from underneath the sheets and shut the damn thing off, scratching the back of her head once that was done. Is it really time already…? I could have sworn I could sleep another hour or so...

Disgruntled, Lily moved on with her daily morning routine -cooking breakfast, making sure she has everything she could possibly need, that sort of thing. It didn’t take long, thus it was not long until the girl was locking up the house and leaving. Her hair -a shimmering, lustrous black- flowed out behind in a high ponytail, revealing her high, defined cheekbones, among other details. Her eyes shone with excitement, though not because ‘the pursuit of knowledge’ is being continued or anything like that… no, Lily was more excited about signing up for the various sports she was involved in before. Soccer, volleyball, track… maybe she will sign up for the swim team, too!

Sleepiness melting, being replaced by excitement, completely and totally, Lily finally arrived at the school... and in record time. A bit flushed and breathing a little heavier than what is normal, the girl ran her hands over her hair, fixing the mess motion has brought onto it. Lily cast her gaze about, looking for people she recognized... and only noticing a handful. Most were probably inside already, however, from what she heard, too... quite a number of juniors moved over the summer, in order to be closer to their colleges of choice. Not a bad choice, but a bit rushed, in Lily's opinion. Hands retreating back into her pockets, Lily went inside to see which homeroom teacher she's been assigned to. Every years, lists of freshman, sophomores, juniors and seniors are posted in the hallway, and next to their names, which classroom they are to be at. There, they will receive their full schedules, and continue on with their day from there. Lily stood among excited teenagers, rubbing shoulders with the best of them, eyes scanning the lists intently.

The teacher cleared her throat a few minutes later causing Jason to looked up. "Sorry Jason but your not with me this year. They must have hanged your homeroom over the summer." Grimacing Jason picked up his things and headed back to the door. "I will see you Later in your programming class. " That got a smirk from Jason and a friendly smile from her since they both knew that Jason just took the course for the free credit. "Ya also long as I come you know you have a substitute teacher if you need one." She smiled and gave him a wave as he left the room and disappeared into the mass of teenagers in the hall.

He went mostly unnoticed as he made his way to the class lists. He was recognized my most of the seniors but for the most part they either ignored him or just gave him a simple nod which was fine with him. He had gone through a few years of being on the receiving end of his classmates cruelty. It was not as bad as it had been in the past since he had earned the gratitude if not respect from some of the more popular and influence kids in the school. He had started off just helping the teachers but last year he had started selling rebuilt computers and fixing phones. At first he had felt annoyed since he started spending more and more time working after school. When he finally looked at how much he was making he had realized that he was making more money an hour then if he was working any part time job he had started to enjoy the money.

When he got to the class lists Jason stood at the back of the crowd waiting for the students ahead of him to find out their classes not wanting to push his way through the crowd. Once he got to the front of the crowd he looked at the list and saw that he had Mr. Davis who he had never gotten along with since the teacher had tried to get him to join one of the sports teams in his first year of high school. Jason had done his best to avoid the teacher whenever possible.

Lily found herself assigned… or rather, doomed, to having a teacher by the name of Mr. Davis. While the man is… an amazing coach, in the classroom was a different matter entirely. It’s almost like… well, a death sentence, when forced into the same room as him. With a long sigh, Lily shook her head, sending several strands of hair dancing about her features as she went down the hallway. Numerous students parted before the girl, only to rejoin once that same girl has passed on by. I can’t believe it… Mr. Davis told me to beat my old record before summer started… and now I’ll have to face him, and say that I have only shaved a couple of seconds off…

Dread coiling in the pit of her stomach, making her body feel heavy as lead, Lily checked the rooms she was passing by, waving at teachers from years past and old friends. It was not long until she stood before a door, hand reaching out for the door which led to her doom. Come on, Lily... Mr. Davis isn't that bad, she told herself, twisting the knob and opening the door... revealing the room beyond. Mr. Davis isn't Cruella de Vil, at least... Just a man bent on winning every metal he can get his hands on, at the expense of his students... Lily's green eyes darted from one face to the next, hoping to recognize a familiar one... only to find two or three. It did come as a bit of a surprise that she'd find Jason there... but... everyone has to have homeroom. Maybe later, she'll find an opportunity to ask him a few questions... With that in mind, Lily went to take a seat towards the middle of the room, but closer to a window.

Please, please, please don’t notice me… Lily prayed, slipping behind a desk and moving so that she was not in his direct line of sight… and hopefully, wouldn’t notice her even if he did look over her way. I just don’t want to get into it… not right now… Later… A quick glance up, and Lily ducked her head down behind… whoever it was she was sitting behind, hoping beyond hope that he won’t move too much.

Jason glanced over the rest of the class list but once he was sure the few people he did not want deal with he turned and threaded his way through the crowd that had started to form behind him as he checked the list. He was glad that none of the guys that he tried to avoid were in his home room this year.

When he heard someone sit down behind him Jason glanced over his shoulder just long enough to see Lily sitting down in the desk behind him. He turned back around hoping she would not notice him looking back. He had almost forgotten about the incident on the bridge the night before but seeing Lily just served to remind him all over again. He didn't have long to think about the fact that he would have to spend the whole year avoiding any questions she might have because just as he started writing out a bit more code for the coding class later someone walked up to the desk and set a phone down on the edge. "Um, it's Jason right? " He looked up to see Jennifer who had never spoken to him but he been in at least one of his classes every year. "Ya, that's me." He glanced at the phone then suppressed a sigh and asked. "What's wrong with it?" He had already been approached a few times with people who's phones or I pods weren't working. "Um I am not sure it stopped charging a few weeks ago. Like it will charge sometimes but it will stop the start after five minutes a lot to." Jennifer glanced around and Jason suspected that she didn't really want to be seen with him. Her reaction was nothing new but it still got on his nerves. "It's going to cost you $80 to fix it. Half now if you want a phone to use for a few days while I fix it." Her body language changed as soon as she heard the price and she leaned forward and hissed just loud enough for Jason and maybe the people right next to them to hear. "David said you fixed the same problem for $50 and you gave him a phone without asking for money up front so do the same for me or I am leaving. You should be grateful I am actually talking to a freak like you."

Jason had flinched back when she leaned in to him but as she kept speaking he got him courage back and leaned forward until he was invading her personal space just like she had done to his. "David I like. He treats me like a person and I trust him because he has never given me a reason to distrust him. $80 or no deal." She couldn't see just how hard his fists were shaking since he had them at his sides but they were perfectly clear to anyone behind him.

Jennifer glared down at him for almost a full minute before she pulled out her wallet and slapped two twenty on the desk. Jason picked them up before reaching into his bag and pulling out a phone of the same brand and generation. It took him less than thirty seconds to swap her sim card and hand it back to her. "Don't forget to format it before you give it back. I don't take responsibility for anything you leave on it." She gave him a dirty look before walking back to her seat just as Mr. Davis walked into the room and took a seat at his desk. As Mr. Davis waited for the class to quite down Jason put both the phone and the money into his backpack hoping no one saw his hands shaking. He waited trying to deal with most of his classmates but he knew that if he did not at least make an effort to they would just walk all over him and he had seen that happen enough to know he didn't want it to happen to him.

His head snapped up when he heard his name only to see Mr. Davis looking at him with a hint of a smile on his face. He did his best to keep his face completely blank until Mr. Davis looked back down at the class list.

One forest green eye opened, light reflecting off its surface and revealing the golden flecks hiding within. What the…? Tilting her head, Lily began listening in on the conversation taking place...scrunching her nose whenever she noticed the girl glancing around… as though she didn’t want to be seen with Jason. Seriously? You’re just using him to fix your precious phone?

The conversation continued on, though it did take a turn for the worst whenever the girl -what was her name? Tiffany? Ashley? Jenny?- went off on him, saying how he charged someone named David less for the same problem, and how he hadn’t asked for money up front, as he did her. To be honest… Lily didn’t blame him. This girl had an attitude, was rude, not to mention didn’t appreciate the fact that he was going to fix the problem. Now that I’m thinking about it… I wonder if he could fix my MP3 player… I’ve been having problems with it lately, though I have no idea why… Well, it couldn’t hurt to ask, right? Later, though… I’m not going to interrupt this, and we are in class… with Mr. Davis, no less. I’ll just be inviting trouble… With a soft, awkward chuckle under her breath, Lily lifted her head at last, strands of obsidian black falling forward to frame the girl’s features. Wait a second... Now that I think about it... Features scrunching into an expression of deep thought, Lily tilted her head, studying the young man who was seated in front of her... trying to remember the person she met just the night before.

"I don't blame you," Lily spoke up at last, after the girl left in a huff. "With that attitude, I would have charged her double for fixing the phone... or brushed her off, one of the two." When Jason turned around, Lily offered him a smile, the sort of smile that has thrown many people off-guard. "Hi... Don't think we've ever met. My name is Lily, and... you are?" No doubt about it... He is the guy I met last night, doing that... parkour stuff while I was out on my run. I think that's what it was, anyway... A few strands of black falling into those forest green eyes of hers, Lily released an aggravated breath, tucking the rogue pieces behind an ear.

Swear, one of these days, I’m just going to chop my hair off. Clearing her throat, Lily tilted her head, more of those pesky strands tumbling against the girl’s cheeks as those forest green eyes of hers focused on him once again. Okay, so here’s my big question: should I just come right out with it and ask? What should I do? It’s pretty awkward, when we barely know each other as it is… Lily tilted her head, considering the options… and realizing that, it’d probably be better just to come right out with it. Why beat around the bush?

Lily cleared her throat one more time, and spoke up. “Look… I don’t know your name, yeah, but I do know that we’ve met somewhere before… just last night.” Intent green eyes on him, Lily tried to find any sort of reaction within his eyes, or as a… micro-expression, whatever… but couldn’t tell. “I was jogging in my neighborhood… and came across a friend. Michelle works for yearbook, and so was asking if we could have an interview… We started crossing a bridge, when we found you, doing… parkour, I think it’s called?” Lily leaned back in her seat, scratching the back of her head.

“Not to be rude or… nosey, or anything, but… could you tell me the truth? I know that Mr. Davis has tried to get ya to join track, and I never knew why until now, however… Why don’t you? We could really use you on the team.” Features lighting up from the inside out, Lily leaned forward, light dancing across those forest green eyes of hers… and also bringing out the little features here and there one doesn’t normally notice.

Maybe we can arrange some sort of deal? I don’t know what he’d want, though, and I barely know him as it is… Torn, Lily nibbled on the side of her lip, looking absolutely adorable while doing so. “I get that sports may not be your thing, but… could you give it some thought? And if there is anything you need, just consider it done. Us players help each other, no matter what.”

Jason turned around to look at Lilly not sure what to expect even as she spoke but her smile helped calm his nerves a bit. He gave her a shy smile as he heard what she was saying. "I would have liked to brush her off," he took a quick look around to to make sure she was not still around before he continued speaking in a more hushed tone, "but if I did or if I charged her to much she would probably cost me customers just by what she might say." He shrugged then smiled again as he watched her fighting with her hair.

He started to wonder what she was thinking about as she focused those deep eyes on him. He found himself thinking about the trees along the river bank in deep summer as he held her gaze. He almost never held anyone's gaze for more than a few seconds other than close family but he felt relaxed around Lilly but he was not sure why.

He broke out of his thought when she spoke and for a split second his eyes narrowed before he looked away trying not to blush. "Look I am sorry ab...." Jason trailed off as he realized what she was actually saying.

After a quick look around to make sure everyone was still in there own little world's he frowned his brow crinkling as he thought about her question. He had not given it any serious thought for at least a year now. "Jason is my name. I know your Lilly we have had a couple classes together over the years and your friend ya I know of her from a friend who used to be in yearbook." He fell silent again and tried to come up with an answer to her question. "I, well I didn't have any interest in joining a team because." He stopped and looked up at her seeming to study her. He had been burned in the past by trusting the wrong people so he was in not hurry to trust anyone anymore. He realized that he had been staring at her for a bit to long so he quickly looked down at his hands before nodding at her question. "I will consider it. It's just that running and parkour are not things I do to be the best. They just I don't know they just feel right." He reached up with one hand and ran it through his hair in frustration. He had never been able to explain the freedom and relaxing feeling that the activity gave him. He was quite for a few moments and started to turn away but stopped and forced himself to look into her eyes again. " Can you keep this a secret. I don't want everyone looking at me like I am some freak if they find out. This year is going to be shifty enough as it is."

Ah, the unfortunate fate of an entrepreneur… Lily offered a vague smile to the young man, strands of black tumbling just so about her features, bringing out those green eyes of hers. With a small jolt, she realized he was gazing deeply into her eyes… which, to be honest… was somewhat daunting, but it also made something flutter within the vicinity of her chest. Clearing her throat, Lily averted her gaze, light reflecting off green and revealing golden specks within their depths. “It… It’s nice to officially meet you, Jason.”

Letting him speak and think over his answer, Lily let her chin rest in the palm of a hand, fingers just resting a millimeter or two from long, dark lashes. Their eyes met once again, him studying her… and she returning that gaze. A million and one thoughts seemed to go through his mind, perhaps a memory or two...that is, before Jason looked down at his hands and nodded.

Of course, Jason didn’t finish his earlier statement right away, but at least he was willing to consider it. Lily gave a bright, cheeky grin, chuckling and giving a nod herself. “Fair enough. I will leave you alone for now, and please… whenever you make your decision, just let me know.”

Pressuring him to make a decision won’t make things easier, that much Lily knew for certain. Whenever she’s backed up into a corner, pressured to make a choice, she usually steers in the opposite direction just to be rebellious. Lily nibbled on the corner of her lip, which caused the flesh to darken from a light pink to a sweet, rosy red due to the harsh treatment, tilting her head as she studied herself. “I can keep this a secret, don’t worry. It’s really not my business to spread around, and besides, I’m not that sort of girl. I just… I just want to let you know, no one is going to look at you like you’re a freak. If anything… I think what you do is awesome. I run circles around a track, whoopie. You… You can jump off whatever mankind has made to… mold this society of ours. I like the tall buildings, the bridges and all that, but… doesn’t it feel like… people are trying to fit us into molds? I wish I could do what you do.” Only being honest, Lily offered a half-hearted smile, before directing her attention to the front, where the teacher was writing on the board. “Oh, looks like Mr. Davis is about to start class,” Lily pointed out, nodding towards him. “It looks like something about a project coming up, I don’t know. I’ll leave you alone, so… yeah.” Lily gave a shrug this time around, and relaxed back in her seat, hands sliding into her pockets meanwhile. More strands of black fell against the girl’s jawline, bringing out those green eyes of hers.

Jason was surprised when Lilly averted her gaze. She seemed uncomfortable or unnerved but he couldn't understand why she would feel that way. He thought that she was a very confident person. He realized he was probably reading to far inter her actions and tried to push the thoughts out of his mind. He was glad she wasn't going to push him, he knew if she did he would have refused right away which was part of what happened when Mr. Davis had tried to get him to join the track team.

He let out a sigh as she said she Jason was surprised when Lilly averted her gaze. She seemed uncomfortable or unnerved but he couldn't understand why she would feel that way. He thought that she was a very confident person. He realized he was probably reading to far inter her actions and tried to push the thoughts out of his mind. He was glad she wasn't going to push him, he knew if she did he would have refused right away which was part of what happened when Mr. Davis had tried to get him to join the track team.
He let out a sigh of relief when Lily said she would keep his secret. He would have turned back around in his seat but stopped himself when she kept speaking. He smiled as she told him that she wasn't the kind of girl who spread personal things about other people and as wary as he was of most people he did believe her. It wasn't because he felt relaxed around her although that helped, it was more because he had never heard about her spreading rumors while they had been in the same school.

His smile tightened as she told him no one would see him as a freak for what he did. As much as he might want to believe her he couldn't bring himself to actually agree with her. He had seen more than a few people at the school who had interesting talents that had been labeled a freak when it was discovered what they did with their free time and none of them had ever been the same after. "Thanks but I still don't want to make it public knowledge. I have been able to stay out of the spotlight and I would prefer for it to stay that way. It makes life easier if nothing else." As she took a shot at herself and her track abilities he chuckled and shrugged. "Thanks but the difference is your sport is accepted and there is a team for it." His eyebrows raised in surprise when she said she wished she could do what he could. Jason almost offered to teacher but stopped himself before he could say anything. "Um well its not that hard. I like how you describe it but really its just a matter of practicing what our bodies have evolved to do." He realized that he was starting to over explain the topic. He stopped talking and was happy to hear that class was about to start. "Um, well I will think about your offer." He turned to face forward after Lily sat back in her chair and couldn't help but notice how her hair framed her eyes and made them stand out even more than they already did.

Turning back to face the front of the class he tried to listen to Mr. Davis as he explained the project that he was assigning them to work on for the rest of the year. "Your project is not going to be due until the last month of classes. You are too look back over your years in highschool and reflect on what you would do differently as well as what you would not change about your time here." Jason ended up drifting off for most of the explanation as he thought over his interaction with Lily and her offer. When he was first asked he had not wanted to leave the comfort zone of the few friends he had made but now they were all gone leaving only him left in the school so there was nothing stopping him from taking her up on the offer except for his own paranoia about what his classmates will think of him.

Mr. Davis finished writing his name on the board, and turned around to face the class. Being a large, broad man of forty-something years, not to mention a gym teacher of all things, well… life did not prove it to be kind. Where years ago was a head full of hair, rich and dark brown, was now bald on top, with only hair right above his ears. His eyes, however, could not have changed much. Bright and full of a youthful light, the blue pair jumped from one person to the next, his big, meaty hands rubbing together as he did so. His chest expanded with an inhale, collapsing whenever he released that breath.

“Alright, class, as most of you already know, my name is Mr. Davis. I teach Physical Education. During the first portion of the year, you will be learning what is best for your bodies… in this classroom. In the second half, we will be out in the gymnasium, playing group sports. Sounds easy enough, right?” With a chuckle, Mr. Davis began moving back and forth in front of the blackboard, arms crossed. “Of course while in this classroom, there will be quizzes, homework and tests… but during the second half of the year, all I ask for is participation. You got it?” A few students rolled their eyes, however, it seems like everyone got the point.

Hands rubbing together, Mr. Davis began his pacing again… obviously taking this moment to compose himself. While he is… an amazing coach, a coach within four walls and a blackboard behind him is basically useless… or so it seems. “Now then… aside from the quizzes, homework, tests… there is a group project. Just one, but it does count for twenty-five percent of your overall grade. It won’t be due until the last month of classes, but… I do suggest not turning it in late.” Mr. Davis gave an awkward laugh… and when he wasn’t met with laughter, he cleared his throat and continued on. “It’s a real simple project, folks.” That said, Mr. Davis came to a still, hands spreading out to emphasize his point. “You are to look back over your years in highschool and reflect on what you would do differently as well as what you would not change about your time here." Sounds easy enough, in Lily’s opinion. Having been met with silence, Mr. Davis continued ranting on and on about the importance of teamwork, hard work and who knows what else, Lily’s gaze drifted elsewhere… taking in familiar faces and not, making note of little differences… that sort of thing. The first couple of days are always the most boring, what with going over rules, what materials are needed and blah, blah, blah… wait, did she say a few days? It nearly lasts a week, depending on what teacher is doing the talking...

Lily let her mind wander to other things, tuning out the lecture while she thought of what lies ahead for this school year. Much of it will be the same, that much she knows for sure... homework, unnecessary drama, teenage hormones... but what else lies in store for her? Chuckling softly under her breath, Lily tore a small piece of paper out of a notebook, mindful not to make any noise meanwhile. Once she found a pencil, Lily forced her gaze onto the gym coach, acting as if paying attention. Of course that was the farthest from the truth... but Mr. Davis doesn't have to know that, does he? So hey, if you're not the type of person who joins clubs or sports, what fills your spare time? Lily wrote in her neat, elegant script, folding the paper four times until it was just a tiny square. When opportunity struke, she tossed it over his shoulder, and pretended that nothing happened.

Jason had his head resting in his hand with his phone open to new article on operating systems for the newest generation of smart phone. It was hidden behind a few textbooks that sat stacked in front of him. He was making to to look up at the end of every few lines to make sure Mr.Davis thought he was paying attention but he had stopped listening to the man's lecture as soon as he had finished talking about the end of year project. The first part of the year would be simple for him. He had never had any problems with the classes like math and science it had been English and the social studies that he had to put some effort into. This sounded like a biology class so he wasn't to worried about the assignments.

When the small square of paper flew over his shoulder it landed right on his phone.  He stopped himself from jumping but he was not able to stop from flinching and tensing up. He glanced behind him to see if Lilly had been trying to get his attention then picked up the note and unfolded it. After reading it he dug through his back pack for a pen but hesitated before writing anything down. He knew he was probably being paranoid  so he forced himself to start writing.

I work to restore my El Camino when I can. Otherwise I am usually fixing or building a computer or phone for someone. Of course there is also running most nights. What do you do with your freetime other than run track? Unless you like notes you might as well just text me. 587 404 3354

He was not sure if she would want his number but he figured if she wanted him to join the track team she would have it eventually and it would be safer to text each other rather than passing notes. Leaning back in his chair with the note folded back into a small square. He waited with it between his fingers until Mr.Davis was answering a question then tossed the square of paper up onto her desk. He double checked his phone to make sure his phone was on silent before continuing to read the article he had up.

Restoring an El Camino? Is he working on a model from the sixties, or from the later years? Lily is a fan of older cars, and alongside the 1966 Pontiac GTO, the 1978 Chevrolet Corvette L82… the El Caminos were her favorite. Slightly impressed, Lily glanced up, her lips curving into a smile born partly from amusement, partly from something else. A hand retreating into her pocket, Lily brought out her phone from deep within her pocket, lifting her textbook in order to hide its presence from view. To be honest, texting is a lot easier than passing notes back and forth, and the chances of them being caught are minimal, at best. A hand lifting to brush several strands of black behind an ear, Lily directed her attention to the conversation not taking place through words.

Most students were texting each other during the lecture, and one girl was even polishing her nails with a fresh coat of… raspberry pink nail polish? Lily rolled her eyes, chuckling softly under her breath and shaking her head. Okay, so what should I say? she had to wonder, now resting her chin in the palm of a hand. To be completely and totally honest… she doesn’t do much outside of spots… besides sleep, eat… do homework, study for tests, that sort of thing… Wow, how sad.

Don’t have much free time, Lily admitted, typing the words. Track, swimming, and volleyball take up most of my time, and the usual necessities -homework, food, sleep- take up the rest. I don’t have a life. Dx I really should get out of my house more, do fun stuff… but I can never seem to find the time.

Having finished typing, Lily hit send and hid her phone from view, but not before making sure it was on silent. It’d be disastrous if Mr. Davis found out they were texting… and in the middle of his lecture, no doubt. Lily let her chin rest back in the palm of her hand, fingers brushing aside several strands of hair as she blinked, pretending that she cared about… whatever it is he’s talking about. Is class ever going to end? Lily had to wonder, glancing at the clock… only to be disappointed by what she found there.

Jason resisted to urge to look back and see if the note had actually landed on her desk. As he finished off the article he had been reading he got a text but was a bit disapointed when it was from one of his friends who had started college this year.

Hey, I am running a party in the old factory outside of town. Could I get your help setting up for it and use those speakers you had sitting around during the summer?

He frowned slightly as he read the text. He had barely talked to most of his friends during the summer. He knew that it was partly his fault since he had spent most of the summer working or running but if he would have been asked to hang out he would have. Now the first time he heard from his friend he was being asked to do help him out. He tapped his fingers on the desk which was one of the ways his friends could tell that he was agitated.

Fine. But I have a lot of projects on my plate at the moment so I can't do it for free.

He had just sent off the text when he received a text from Lily. Reading it over her text he was surprised to say the least. He didn't see how she was on so many teams but didn't take the time to relax and have some fun. He had always imagined that all the athletes on the school teams were always going out after practices or competitions, hearing that Lily had no life just didn't seem right. He knew why he didn't have a life but he was a loner. He glanced up shifting his phone out of sight as Mr. Davis started handing out course schedules and their class schedules. Once they were handed out Jason only gave his a brief glance noting that the only thing that had changed was that his gym class had been moved to the third period right before his spare which meant it would be the last class of the day. Once Mr. Davis had started to lecture again he pulled his phone out and started to type out a reply.

Really? Whats the point of being on all those teams if you don't have time to have fun and do what you want? I get to work on my pcs or my car and I get to relax. I know I won't join any team if it takes over my life. When do you have gym?

He hesitated not sure if anything would come of knowing when she was in gym but he wanted to know. He wouldn't admit it to himself but he wanted to see if he could beat her at a race. He had been told by his friends that he was good but he had never actually raced anyone before.

Really? What's the point of being on all those teams if you don't have time to have fun and do what you want? I get to work on my pcs or my car and I get to relax. I know I won't join any team if it takes over my life. When do you have gym?

Lily had to admit, she's never considered the question before. Why is she on all these teams, aside from the obvious? Tilting her head, Lily tapped a finger against her cheek, it resting in the palm of that hand.

Ever since she was little, Lily has enjoyed sports. It didn’t matter if it involved a ball or it didn’t; she loved the game. Academics are… important, yeah, but if she couldn’t do what she loved most… well, what’s the point? Anything that’s worth doing should be done, period. Lily opened one eye, light reflecting off forest green and bringing forth the gold and navy blue specks hiding within the depths. A yawn threatening to stretch her jaw wide she dropped her gaze back onto the phone and the message waiting for a reply.

I may not have much time on my hands, but I am having fun - doing what I love.

Mr. Davis was handing out class schedules, and it was right then that Lily received hers. Huh, I have study hall during fourth period… she realized, taking a closer look. Once he moved on past, ranting on and on about hygiene, the importance of warming up and who knows what else, Lily glanced down at her phone and began typing more to the message. I got gym during third period, right before study hall and American history. How about you? Hitting send, Lily ran a hand through all that obsidian black, several strands tumbling forward and framing her features just so. A quick glance at the clock revealed that there are still about ten minutes of class left… and each minute was creeping on by so slowly, it felt like five minutes instead of one. I’d rather be anywhere but here… Mr. Davis likes to talk about himself a bit too much… and he emphasizes on the little things no one pays any attention to… Rolling her eyes, Lily let out a sigh and a soft groan.

Now that she thought about it though, maybe it would be a good idea to ease up on the sports. Lily loves swimming and track and everything else, but… to be honest, she’d also like to plop down on the couch every once in a while, watch TV… that sort of thing.

Ah, the life of a normal teenager. Lily would have laughed, that is, if it wouldn’t draw attention onto herself.

Jason flicked through a few apps on his phone and stopped at his notes opening the app just he received another text. Opening it he read an nodded to himself. He could understand how she felt. Reading the rest he couldn't help but smile.

Cool I get what you mean. Like I said my running and the other things I do outside of school are what I like to do. Also we have gym at the same time.... looks like you might get more time to talk me into joining the team. Jk.

He didn't think she would take advantage of their classes together to get him to join since she had dropped it earlier after he had said he would consider it. H the more he thought about it though the more he had to admit she wouldn't have to work that hard to convince him. He would fit in with a bunch of other people who enjoyed running like he did.

He looked up as Mr. Davis and started to listen to him for a few minutes not sure what had caught his attention. Looking down at his phone he added.

Is Mr. Davis a better coach than he is a teacher? I mean I have only ever dealt with him in class or when he tried to get me to join track my first year.

He sent the message and checked to make sure he had not missed a message from his friend about setting up for a party at the end of the week. He could definitely do it but he was waiting to see how much they would pay him. He would probably do it because it was a friend asking but he was still working and he wanted to make a profit.

Why am I not surprised? Lily read the message over again, using the list they were given as cover. I wonder if he is good at any other sports besides running... Curiosity raising its head, the girl considered asking, and decided to go for it. If he doesn't like her bluntness, oh well.

Gym at the same time, huh? Well then, I guess you can't refuse me if I ask for a race. ;) Don't worry, though, I'm not gonna pester you about joining the team. I am curious, though. Is there any other sports you like besides running?

Do I have anything else to add? Lily wondered, tilting her head and considering the question. One minute turning into two… and then three, she finally decided that she’s said everything she needs to say, and hit the send button. It wasn’t long until one eye opened, light reflecting off dark green and dancing along the smile which was just beginning to grace her lips.

Mr. Davis continued rattling on and on about something or another, unaware that no one was paying him any attention. Lily blinked, having realized she never did answer her new friend’s other question. Quickly she whipped out her phone, typing away.

Sorry for sending two messages, but I forgot to answer your other question. Mr. Davis is definitely a better coach than he is a teacher… otherwise, well…

Jason must think I’m a total moron… Lily thought, shaking her head and resting her cheek against a balled fist.

Jason felt the corners of his mouth twitch as he read over her text. He caught himself looking up at the clock and wishing that they were in gym. I wanted to race her and see just how good he was but at the same time he was nervous since it would be on a field full of students. He forced himself to stop thinking about the others students that would be in the class and read the rest of her text. He paused to think about the question. He knew that he did like other sports well some but they all seemed to bore him once he figured them out.

A race? Sure that could be fun. I do like other sports but running and swimming are my favorites. I used to skateboard and bike a bit but once I figured out the math behind them they kind of got boring. I still long board down hills once in a while but I don't seem to have time for that anymore.

He was about to send the message having not quite realized that she had only answered part of his text. Jason hesitated when he got another message about the party. The amount of money mentioned in the text shocked him enough that he started to chuckle to himself but quickly covered it by coughing. Glancing up at Mr. Davis for a few minutes but looked back down at his desk pretending to look at his class schedule. Once Mr. Davis had started to talk again Jason sent a quick text back saying he would help out before he read Lily's second text.

Well its good to hear he is a better coach since ya ... if he was a better teacher than coach that would be um concerning.

He read over the whole text once more before sending it off to Lily. Once the message was send Jason reached down into his bag and pulled out a note pad that was already covered with notes for projects he was working on. He started sketching out how he would set up the speaker system. He paused though as he realized that about halfway through he had switched to sketching out the track that ran around the football field.

Lily let a cheek rest in the palm of her hand, fingers tapping an impatient rhythm high on her cheek. Is this class ever going to end? she found herself wondering, glancing up at the clock for the fifth time in the past ten minutes or so. Mr. Davis was a great coach, don’t get her wrong… it’s just that… well… to put it mildly, he doesn’t belong within the four walls of a classroom. For one thing, he had too much energy… and two, too much enthusiasm for something as boring as buying a three-ring binder. Yikes. It’s makes her cringe, listening to him.

I can’t believe we have gym together… what are the odds of that happening? Lily would have laughed at the coincidence, or irony, or whatever it was, if it wasn’t for the fact she didn’t want to draw attention onto herself. I hope he does agree to a race… I want to see what he’s capable of, aside from parkour… A grin playing with the corners of her lips, Lily glanced outside, pleased to see that there was not a cloud in the sky.

With a jolt, Lily opened her phone, it having vibrated while cradled in her other hand. Mr. Davis paused near the front, hands folded behind his back and with a distant look in his eyes. Lily waited, not wanting to face his wrath about how ‘cell phones are disrespectful pieces of junk that serve no real purpose aside from providing a distraction’. Yes, she’s heard the lecture a thousand and one times. Tempted to roll her eyes, Lily didn’t read the message until he began launching into a lecture about… something or another. Who cares what it’s about? No one was listening.

Amused, she started typing back a reply, every once in a while glancing up in order to check on if Mr. Davis was still prattling on.

No kidding. I’d hate to see Mr. Davis stuck behind a desk. As for our race, I can’t wait! Hardly anyone gives me a run for my money… so why don’t we make things interesting? Would you care to make a wager on the outcome? Anything can be used as stakes. Lily bit the corner of her lip, hoping he’ll accept. It’d be fun. Black strands falling against her cheeks and jawline, she send the message, and leaned back in her seat.

Jason tried to concentrate on a new article as he waited for Lilly's next text but he found himself re reading the same sentence as his mind wandered. It took him almost a minute to realize Mr. Davis had stopped talking and was looking at him. "Um. Sorry I was Um thinking about one of my other classes." The teacher gave him a dirty look before continuing to his lecture. Jason supressed a groan as he realized that Mr. Davis was going to be watching him even more carefully now just so he would have a chance to make Jason pay for obviously not listening to him.

As his phone lit up with a new text he waited until Mr.Davis was focusing on a different part if the class before he read over the text. He sat there for a few minutes not sure what he had to offer her or what he would want from her. After another minute or show he chuckled as he realized he had a skill he could bargain and he would probably want some help at some point this week as he was setting up for the party. After checking once more that he was not being watched he typed out his reply.

Good thing he is a coach so he does not go crazy grading papers. As for a wager sure. If I will you help me this week one night for a few hours. Freddy Um the guy who used to dj at the school dances and did the announcements needs the old factory on the edge of town wired up for a party this weekend so you can help me with that. If I loose I will help you with any tech issues you have or fix something for you free of charge. How's that sound? [/i]

After sending the text he checked the time and saw that they only have a minute or so left so he started packing up this bag. When the bell rang he quickly stood up and slung his back over his shoulder obviously wanting to leave as quickly as possible. He took a step towards the door but stopped and turned back to Lilly. " So I will see you later. Um ya see ya." The smile he flashed her seemed more relaxed than before but it was obvious that he was not very relaxed.

Back
Top Bottom