Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Soldier and the Spy (AnjelRocker and I)

She could feel her cheeks heating up. "Well, I was not going to correct the soldier." She said feeling like a bit of a fool. "And we are going to be married soon." She wondered if he was upset that she had not corrected the soldier about their martial status. Eleanor swallowed a little. "I do not know how soon but after this... well, I am a little paranoid now with this cause." She mentioned as she went to sit herself down but she was also about redressing his bandages since the ones that had been done on the field were dirty and could not be good for his health. Not that there was knowledge of germs but, she also liked things to be clean.

"Well, you will not be pleased when your beauty of a nurse wants you to undress so that I can redress your loose bandages." She said to him with almost a serious expression. "Although, I am quite lucky that you are well enough and awake." He was in pain but there was a little part of her that thought that it was his own fault for fighting. However, she would never say that. It was only a relief that he was alive for her to be there with him. "Thank you... I worry because I love you." She mentioned as she lifted the basket onto his bunk as she was sitting so close to him so delicately.

"Now, I will not kiss you until this bandage is wrapped." She said sternly before smiling a little. "Well, I suppose that one kiss will not hurt." She mentioned before leaning in a little and kissing him on the lips so that they could be close. It was a quick kiss as she was smiling a little, her cheek flushed before saying. "Not another until I have you in better care. We do not want you to get a fever." That could truly kill him and so, she was praying that he would recover quickly.

The press of her lips on his own was beyond relief. It was a kiss that made all things right in the world, and the pain dripped away as she was close enough for him to feel her presence. As much as he wanted to reach out, touch her, hold her close as his left arm moved the pain ran down it like a line of fire. Inwardly he winced as Eleanor moved back he felt a bit of pride at being able to bring a flush to her cheeks.

"Of course Mrs. Gage," he replied slightly joking as a broad smile came to his lips, "I do like the sound of that." He stared up at her eyes, the dark lashes framed her eyes wonderfully, every time Alexander looked at her he found some new facet of her to admire. Eleanor was truly a special woman, he was lucky to have her.

Grunting with the effort he removed the shirt, he blooded and stained jacket lay at the end of the bed, draped over his shoulder when they left it was a part of his uniform and almost forgotten. A part of him remembered to bring it, like his sword belt, as if he would need it, but not consciously. Slipping the shirt from his trousers he looked at Eleanor first and blushed as he brought the shirt up and over his head, leaving his chest and arms bare.

"I suppose we should make our announcement soon, maybe the next Sunday we can get to the pulpit we can announce our engagement," it was half a question and half a hope. Doing that, before the whole congregation was akin to the ceremony, which still needed to be completed to truly be husband and wife, but to announce it before all was the first major step. Taking her hand in his as he sat at the edge of his cot, "I don't know if its this fight, the bullet, or what. But I see how special you are to me, I don't want to lose you but I don't want to wait either." Shaking his head, "I'm not sure I can say it eloquently right now Eleanor, but I love you dearly, the one thing in this world I do not want to lose is you, and to know we are joined together, husband and wife, that would be the best medicine my heart and soul could have right now."

She was helping him out of his uniform jacket so that she could bandage him a little better than he was at this moment. It was also the first time that she was seeing him without his shirt. Now, she was doing this because he was injured and yet, her face was bright red from embarrassment. "Mr. Gage... I think that you are saying things to intentionally embarrass me." She said to him with a laugh. She glanced into his eyes. "You ought to be resting and not teasing me so..." There was a slight smirk playing on her lips as she was trying to keep a straight face.

Eleanor had been watching him as he undressed from his shirt before he looked up at her and her eyes went wide as she looked away. "I am so sorry, Alexander..." She looked was studying the basket as she went to take out the bandages as well as a bit of wine. It was said that it would numb the pain a little for him as she supposed that she ought to fetch some more water. There was some in a canteen in case she had needed it.

Looking back at him when he was speaking, Eleanor said. "Yes, we ought to announce it soon. It would get the nuptials on the right path." She went back to the basket to lay out all that she would need. "Sunday would do well... are they going to give you some relief or leave to do such things." How long would they allow him to recover from this bullet wound? She had to wonder about that. "You do not have to worry about losing me." She said softly as she watched him. "I was the one who was worried about losing you. "I do not know what I would do if I did not have you in my life." She mentioned to him. "We will be married soon enough... I can hardly wait either. And yet, if we do then the reward I suppose will be all the sweeter."

She smile as she knew that she was going to have to wrap his wound soon... and yet, she was also feeling shy and embarrassed. Well, she simply would need to overcome that. "I love you too, Alexander." Her hand reached out to gently touch his. "Now, I need to wrap up your war wound... you mustn't tease me." She said seriously to him before moving a little closer with a cloth that was wet with some of the water so that she could remove any dirt and grime that might be there. Well, she had to remove the bandages from the slapstick job that someone had one before to stop the bleeding.

"Do you think I would be such a cad as to intentionally make such a beautiful, young lady blush?" He jokingly asked her as his shirt was removed. The smile on his face at her touch and intentions was opposite to the pain that coursed through his body like a fire, every move hurt and ached, the shoulder felt as if a hot poker had been shoved into his skin and left there. It was all he could do at the moment to not fall off the cot.

The bandage on his shoulder was soaked through with red, there was an odd smell to it. Metallic almost, and with each breath it felt as if the hot poker within was moving around, aiming straight for his heart. Only, his heart was in the hands of another. Watching the concern and intentness of her face Alexander pitied Eleanor for the moment to have to see such things. It was not seemly for a woman as refined as her to have to see him weakened and wounded like this, Eleanor was the kind of woman who should be in a fancy gown, dazzling passersby at a ball. A refined woman, and here she was with someone like him, maybe it was the pain but he felt inadequate for her right now.

Giving in he lay back and groaned slightly as he tried to find a comfortable spot that did not pinch his shoulder and increase the pain, already a white haze on the edge of his vision. "I think after this they might give me some time to stay in camp, and with the trouncing we gave them on Breed's Hill the lobsterbacks will think twice about leaving Boston." Oddly, even though he was shot and they ran it felt somewhat like a victory, though they left their dead on the field, and the cannon. Yet the British regulars had paid a steep price to make the hill, and for that he could take some pride.

"Sunday then," he nodded. With the camp near Cambridge they had more freedom than most to go into the city, and no commander was going to stop a man from attending his church on a Sunday where he was to announce his engagement. Touching her hand as she touched him around the bandage he looked up into her eyes, his own intent, and probably slightly bright with fever and pain.

"I look forward to being with you then," a slight smile curled his mouth as he gave herself to him, "Mrs. Gage."

"I do not know but you seem to take pleasure in teasing me." Eleanor said softly to her fiance as she was sitting herself down so that she could work properly. Removing the bandages, she tried not to look disgusted by the blood caked onto it. Was he still bleeding? Had the wound opened? "Oh..." She whispered as she knew that this was not like the other wounds that she had bandaged in the past. This was not a small cut or a scrape. This was a bullet wound. The smell was of blood... and the crusting was. If she was honest with herself, it was foul. However, she would not faint. Even if she felt like she might. How could she possibly be a wife if she was going to be so delicate about something like this.

Unwrapping his wound, she set the dirty bandages aside and knew that they would need to be washed and used again. "I will need to clean the wound." She had heard once that alcohol was the best for cleaning but she also knew that it was going to sting. Well, if he drank some of the liquid first then it should be so bad. Taking the flask of alcohol, she said. "Drink some of this... might help with the pain." She had a hopeful look on her face before going right to work once again.

The cleaning was going to be the part that would be hell but, she had heard that it takes away from the fever. And it was known that once the fever set in then a man did not have much chance of living. Certainly, she wanted her fiance to live. "I do hope that they will give you some time to rest and recover. I do not think that you could go back out for a little while yet." She said with a soft voice to Alexander. "Then, I am not a doctor." She pointed out as she continued to work, cleaning the wound knowing that it must pain him. "I am sorry... the pain will go soon enough." She whispered as she cleaned at the crusted blood around the wound before pouring a little alcohol onto it.

Yes, that had to be hell. Even Eleanor winced as she did so. "Are you sure, Mr. Gage... even when I am seemingly torturing you?" She said thinking that the worst was over but she looked upset from causing him pain as she held his hand.

"A torture from you is still a pleasure when it involves your touch," he told her through gritted teeth. As if the feeling of fire in his shoulder did not seem that it could increase the alcohol was something else. Though it felt good going down his throat on his skin, it was like another hot poker joining the first. Realizing he was squeezeing her hand too hard he let go, "sorry, Eleanor."

Looking down saw the large area of red on his shoulder, the little pucker of flesh on his skin where the bullet went in. The alcohol pooling there a moment then running off, tainted with a streak of pink and what looked to be a thread or two of his uniform. Eleanor did as good a job as he could imagine anyone doing, though the doctor seemed trained, most of his skill lay in cutting the uniform away and sticking somethng into the wound and moving it around until he pulled the bullet out. For a moment he felt as if he would faint, but looking up into Eleanor's face thought she would follow him if he did so, with a fortitude that he did not think he possessed Alexander clenched his teeth and bore it all.

Though it was part torture, and part pleasure to watch his angel of mercy touch him, the bandage was wound around his shoulder. The white cloth wrapped up and around his shoulder, under the arm pit and across his chest, in some ways the bandage was more uncomfortable than the wound as he found it hard to move his left arm. Which, considering it all, was probably for the best.

Drinking a little more of the alcohol felt more intoxicated from Eleanor's presence, with the added mixture of pain and a slight drunken feeling. When it felt that she was done, his head was swimming with thoughts of her, his shoulder, and of visions of them together later in life. Sitting together, a child, kissing all of it the vague fantasies and dreams of a couple together. Reaching up to touch her cheek, he wanted to kiss her so much, "thank you Eleanor. I know it could not have been easy." Checking that he had some movement he smiled bravely up at her, "at the least we will have a story to tell our children."

She knew that he was in pain and her heart wretched at the thought that she was the one to inflict it. Then, was she not already doing that with her spying? That thought crossed her mind as she knew that she was going to have to give it up but she doubted that Thomas was going to allow her to do so. “Do not apologize if you are in pain…” She said softly to him as she dabbed at his wound. It was raw and bleeding but with some gauze and linen wrapping. Hopefully, that would stop the bleeding and then he would be on the path to heal.

And she felt like he would heal, Eleanor was sure of it. “Now, I am not a doctor but I am sure that he would say the same thing and that is that you will need to rest, relax and heal.” Her voice was low as she took his hand into her own. There was a saving grace here. She did not know quite how to describe it but, Alexander was alive. There were men who were not so lucky but she was there with him and he was alive.

Alive so that she could be upset with him… and to kiss him. She stood to gather all of the supplies that would need to be cleaned. “You are welcome, Alexander… Captain Gage.” She was doing a bit of teasing herself now as she went to sit on the edge of his cot beside him. “And no, it is not easy. The thought of you on that battlefield and after what I have seen in this camp… I am a little afraid for what could happen in the future.” She leaned into his touch as she said, “We will not have stories to tell our children if you get yourself killed.” Her voice worried as she felt tears in her eyes now. There was the moment where she felt utterly helpless. “I love you and the thought of you…” He must think that she was being a fool. A foolish woman with her heart on her sleeve. “Well, I certainly don’t want to think of that.” She said before making a decision.

Leaning a little in, she said. “Are you in too much pain to kiss me, Alexander?” She asked with a blush before closing her eyes and pressing her lips against his gently.

As her lips pressed against his the pain melted away. For that one blessed moment all he knew was Eleanor. The feel of her against him as she moved close, his arm reached around her and he pressed her into his naked breast. Her dress felt rough against his skin, but he did not care, she was close to him and as she leaned in he could feel part of her skin touch his own. That made him feel decadent, as if they had progressed into some wicked act already before they were married, right then it felt right.

For a long moment he held her against him, his hand reaching into her hair and cupping the back of her head. Gently he kept her against him, her mouth to his, their lips exchanging a passion that ran through them both. As their lips parted, the skin held tight, as if reluctant to let go. His breath slowly returned to him as he opened his eyes to look at her, the smile on his face and a blush on his cheek.

With all seriousness he looked down at her, "I could never be in that much pain, my love."

With the intimacy of the moment he could not help but say it, "I love you, I would never want you in pain or unhappy." His eyes looked down on her and they traced the line of the thick, lush lashes that lined her eyes. It brought his attention to her eyes, "to bring tears to these would be an offense. I want to spend a lifetime with you Eleanor, a long lifetime," he didn't want the moment to be lost to have her nurse him made his heart leap as much as the pain in his shoulder tried to drag him down.

"I will do what I can to avoid being killed in the future, this was my first battle and I certainly did not think they would shoot at me. When I can I will be less conspicuous for you." Not wanting to let her go, feeling her heart beat through the dress and into his chest he took the liberty of one more kiss.

Apart of her wondered if she was being selfish for asking this of him. Lord, she seemed to forget that she was a spy for the other side. Was it wrong to care for those who were technically the enemy? They were men and boys who were fighting for a cause and it was not the same as hers. However, she had heard the cries of pain and moaning as she had looked for her fiancee. The memory would be forever burned in her mind. However, she would not realize it for a long time.

Kissing Alexander was comforting as he was holding her to him, Eleanor was trying to be delicate with him as she looked up at him when he stopped to tell her that he could never be in that much pain. Well, that made her smile. "You flatter me, Alexander." She whispered to him.

"I am only worried about your well being and yet, I know that you have a passion for your cause. I only do not want to become a young widow... or worst, if we were never to marry at all." She admitted. "Yet, I know that it is entirely selfish to ask you to stop that part of you that I admire. You have such a belief in this cause." Foolish in her opinion, but she could not fault him. She closed her eyes, "I would not want to take that away from you."

Sighing, she looked back up at him. "Knowing that you are going to try to avoid to get killed brings a little comfort." Certainly, not much but she hoped that he would be cautious for her. "I love you too." She rested herself gently on his good side so that she would not cause him pain.

"I should not be here for much longer but the idea of leaving your side is troubling..." She did not want him to break out in a fever. Lifting one of her arms, her hand moved to his forehead to rest against it. "Hm, no sign of fever." She said softly with concern in her voice.

Alexander felt the rush build on his cheeks as her hand came up to his forehead, the slender arm rose before his face and the delicate fingers slipped across his forehead. The hands that had made and fitted countless gowns, that had bandaged his shoulder, the hands of the woman he loved rested against him in love and concern. Eleanor's words made his heart beat faster as she opened herself up to him, like a book of poetry, with couplets that sang to him, but it was the touch that made his heart drop in his chest. Warm next to her he wanted to take her in his arms, and run away. Far away from all this blood and horror, yet his honor kept him here. Without that, he would be nothing, could be nothing to her.

"The fever is not there," he told her softly. Taking her hand in his he lowered it and kissed her fingertips, one by one. Then opening her palm rested her hand against his chest. His hands clasped over hers, where his heart drummed hard and loud inside his breast. "It's here," he told her as his eyes opened to her.

Perhaps for the first time he saw her as she was, a young woman in love. Scared for him. Worried that this war, this slight little rebellion would take her future from her. That he could not bear. To see that angelic face covered in tears, the eyes red rimmed, her hair covered in black. No, he would not do that for her. He would live for her, no matter what it would take. No, Parliament would have to see the righteousness of their cause. Would come around and then it would all be over by Spring.

"I want you to be comforted, to be safe," his hand reached up and brushed the dark hair aside. Her face beamed up at him as he pulled her close. The intimacy that grew around them pushed the world away, it was them. Only them in the tent, and the tent was all. "I love you Eleanor, with every fibre of my being, and with all of me I will protect you. Never to see you hurt, sad, upset. That is the war I truly want to fight, and this battlefield, this siege of Boston, is nothing compared to that."

He held the kiss a long time, their lips touched and held, time stopped for him. As if they had a lifetime of a kiss between heartbeats. A time Alexander did not want to end, one hand still holding her hand to his breast, and the other keeping her close to him. It was the happiest, and longest moment of his life, with Eleanor there seemed to be a lot of them. The tent was still, quiet for the two lovers, until he heard the coughing at the flap of the tent. Breaking the kiss he looked up to see two familiar shapes standing in the shadows.

"Bad time?" Hammond's voice spoke out breaking them of their reverie as he and Masters walked into the tent. "We came when we heard to see if you needed some comfort, but I see it had found you." The two bowed deeply, "Lt's Hammond and Masters at your command, miss."

There were times when she was thankful for small miracles and the fact that he did not have a fever was something that she hoped would never come into their life. Her delicate fingers traced over his forehead as a caress. Her heart beating quickly, something that had certainly not stopped beforehand. “I am thankful to know…” He took her hand into his own rougher hand, his touch making her look into his eyes, his lips kissing each digit of hers. There was such care, her heart becoming his with every moment like this.

He then put his hand on his chest and she could feel the beat of his heart, hammering against his chest. Her own heart feeling as if it was matching his pace as she said. “Alexander.” Her voice a whisper as she swallowed because she felt like a fool. Happy and in love with this man… and yet, she knew in her heart of hearts that it could never be. Pushing those awful thoughts away, she could feel a few silly tears in her eyes.

Not because she was sad… in truth, Eleanor was positively happy but her heart tightened and she felt overwhelmed by this moment of theirs together… It was not a romantic location. Far from it but it was the fact that they were together there. Nodding, she said. “I love you too, Alexander.” She was trying not to cry more than the tears that were already in her eyes.
Kissing him, the moment of sweetness between the two lovers… She did not move herself away from him as the kiss came to an end.

“You will not have to fight that battle…” She offered. “I know that we cannot wed right away but…” She looked determined. “As soon as we are wed, I will follow you and your company…” She looked serious. “I can do it… I can be of help.” Eleanor did not know if she could but she would learn. Her hand on his chest as she made this vow to him and to herself before she kissed him once again.

It was then in their moment of quiet that she heard a coughing and she suddenly snapped back to reality. Good lord… there were people there waiting for them to finishing being two little silly lovers in their own world. Her face went red as she slowly pulled away from him when the other two gentleman were about to come in.

Eleanor stood up almost at attention as if she was not in a compromising situation. Yes, they were engaged but they were not married… yet. “I was bandaging up his shoulder.” She said as if she was protesting a little that she was a comfort. She hoped that they did not think her some whore. She was holding some of the bandages thinking that she ought to clean a little and then, would she go on home now?

“Pleased to make your acquaintances.” She said with a smile waiting for Alexander to introduce her. Well, he was taking too long. "I am Miss Eleanor Caldwell. Lt Gage's fiancée.” She said as she made her proper introductions.

Alexander blushed heavily and drew a shirt over himself, the twinge in his shoulder like a shot of fire in his body. A slight moan as he pulled the shirt like a cloak over his exposed chest, feeling ashamed that they had been caught in this situation. Not so much as if it was a sin for the two of them to be like this, but more that they had been caught. The intimacy that had sprung up between them shattered like a looking glass dropped on the floor, Masters looked down on his with an eye that was reproachful, much as he would have had from a school master when forgetting his homework. Hammond had that sly smile that bespoke of what Alexander's intentions were, he loved Eleanor and while he would not dishonor her, there was definitely that feeling that he would want to spend more time with her like this.

"Ah," he stood up with a surprised shout. Half from their entrance and half in pain, the two stepped in, they were not leaving. No matter how much he wanted them to right now. "Eleanor, Miss Caldwell," falling quickly into a stiff formality, "these are my tent mates, Lt's Masters and Hammond."

Masters simply nodded, his face up and aloof as he looked upon them. Seeing the bandage on his shoulder saw the face fall into one of kindness, for once. The shoulders relaxed, the mouth loosened its tight drawn line of lip. Stepping out a hand on his shoulder led Alexander back onto the bed. "My dear man, you've just been on the battlefield. Shot! Now is not the time to be standing and making introductions! Come, let me get you some water at the least."

Hammond turned an eye at Masters and the smile became wider as Masters went and poured a large cup of water and pressed it into Alexander's hand. Going on about injuries, blood, humors and all the other medical knowledge that was stored in that wild haired head. Masters bowed and taking Eleanor's hand kissed the back of it, Alexander felt a slight rise of jealousy at anyone else taking her hand and touching it, but was too distracted with Masters to do much about it.

"My dear lady, a delight to meet you. I have heard much about you," Hammond held onto her hand a moment more than necessary, but slightly less than would be indecent. "A cousin of mine had the honor of your acquaintance a few years before, though I think he was not quite up to your standards." A look over at Alexander and Hammond laughed, falling onto his cot holding his belly as if he had suddenly heard the funniest jest in the history of the world. "Although I am quite fond of our dear Lt Gage, so I hold no grudge, and between you and me, my cousin Robert Addams is quite the bore."

After a moment, Hammond sat on the bed a hand gesturing for Eleanor to take a seat. "Has our dear boy held up well? Being the last officer off the field, quite a feat for one so young, no wonder they took a shot at you. If you are lucky, there might even be a promotion in there for you."

She had felt ashamed with herself after that moment of intimacy had been shattered. It had been a tender moment that she had wanted to continue and for a moment, she was sure that his two fellow officers thought that she was some common strumpet. That thought had her face a scarlet colour as she was standing up and giving herself some distance from her fiancée. “Alexander!” She said as she looked over to him when he stood up. A look of concern on her face before she said, “You mustn’t move too much. You need to heal.” She whispered as she glanced at the two tent mates of Alexander’s before she curtsied and said, “It’s a pleasure to meet you. I am the Lieutenant’s fiancée.” She said boldly without standing down from that admission.

It would give them a little substance from her inexcusable actions as she watched the other officer telling Alexander that he must rest. Eleanor could not agree more… she knew that he was trying to be polite but he could also open up the wound further. Perhaps, it had needed to be stitched up. She had talent with fabric but had never stitched up a wound before. That had been a doctor’s task…

Now, she did not know who Hammond was and who Masters was as she was standing there politely. “Ah, thank you. I do not really know anything about the two of you... Lt. Gage has not really had the chance during our visits at my parents and his parents’ homes.” She said honestly. “It really is an honour to meet the two of you. Naturally, I want to know that he is doing well.” She said, “I needed to know that he was well after this battle.” She said softly.

“Ah, Mr. Addams… I do remember him well.” She swallowed feeling nervous because she remembered that she had been perhaps rude to the gentleman and being like that could bite you in the bottom… as her mother said. “He was not a bore…” She protested but the two of them knew that the man had been so dull. She had once listened to him discuss what his favourite soup was.

She smiled a little. “Well, not that much of a bore…” Eleanor admitted as she went to sit herself down on one side of the bed. “Well, he was in quite a bit of pain but he was an excellent patient as I bandaged him up and made sure that the wound was clean.” Pausing, she went on to say. “He was the last officer on the field.” She didn’t know that. “You are lucky that you are alive.”

The concern in her voice touched him, for a moment he stopped and bashfully looked down as he took a breath and sat. The arm ached, he was already tired of the pain and wondered how long it would be until he could be back to normal. As Eleanor talked to Hammond he saw not the proud, strong woman he loved, but her softer side. The side she had only let him see when they were alone, Hammond spoke easily to her, while he still felt tongue tied even after they had already pledged themselves to each other.

Hammond went to his cot and reaching under the pillow pulled out the small flask of brandy, taking a small sip Hammond pressed it into his hand. "Take a sip, it will help, some." Turning to Eleanor with a flourish Hammond stood and putting an arm on Masters shoulder turned him towards the tent flap. "Come good sir, let us see if we can find our Hero something from the kitchens. Miss Caldwell, "

Just as quickly they were alone again, the wink that Hammond passed him told them he knew what was happening and they'd have some time together. Or as much as Hammond could muster. The air felt closer with just the two of them, that indecent feeling crept on him again, though the ache in his arm was worse. "I must lie down," he felt weak in the legs. Taking a sip of the brandy felt a warmth creep through his body as he lowered himself into the small cot. Thankfully its backing was strong enough to hold him, and the wood creaked slightly as he lay out.

"Thank you for everything my dear," the brandy made him slightly light headed. Or was it the blood? Alexander did not know, all he knew was at that moment he was looking up into the face of an angel. "Dear Eleanor, my dear Eleanor," overcome with something he reached out to her, his eye lids fluttering as he looked up at her and smiled. Clutching the flash he raised it, but with just the fumes of the sweet brandy he felt slightly renewed, not wanting to drink any more. "Thank you, so much for everything."

He was acting a little strange as the two of them were once again left alone in his tent. She had to wonder if that had been some sort of plan that the two other officers had thought of in the moment. “Alexander… do not drink too much. It will not be good for you to get drunk and sloppy. Only a little to numb your pain.” She said with concern as she went to him and eased him down on his cot. “You are going to need to rest. I am sure that your fellow officers will do an excellent job at seeing that you are cared for while on rest.” She wondered if they would send him to his parent’s home to rest. She thought that was what he needed but she was also not a military doctor. Certainly, they could not expect him to go back into activity duty so soon after.

She took the flask of brandy from him with ease before he hurt himself. She was tempted to have a bit of a nip as well and then decided to take a small sip for her own nerves. “I will put this under your cot within reach.” She said to him as she did exactly that and smiled at her fiancée. Going down on her knees, she settled herself beside his cot for a moment. “It was no trouble. I am supposed to do things like this… and care for you.” She whispered as there was another blush on her cheeks. “It will be my duty to you as your wife soon.” She explained.

“You should get some rest, Alexander.” She said to him as her hand reached up to stroke his hair in a sweet gesture. There was a gentle and comforting touch as she smiled. “I will stay here until you fall asleep.” She told him and she would keep that promise. Certainly, she wanted to stay but she could not for much longer. Eleanor smiled when he called her his dear Eleanor. It was a lovely feeling being close to someone who loved you and she felt like she loved him in return. “My dear Alexander… I promise to return tomorrow to see how you are doing.” She said in a low voice. “I will love you until we grow old.” She felt silly for making these promises to him. It was as if she was making a vow. “And I promise that I will never betray you.” She added ‘anymore’ in her mind.

Eleanor was going to have to find a way to back out of being a spy for her brother…

The exertions of the day closed in on him as he lay back. Eleanor being there was more than a comfort, not just to the bullet that had hit him, but to his soul as well. Alexander felt the warmth of the brandy lower the pain in his body, but it was also making him tired. That and the moving, he definitely felt that as well. Her words soothed him though, as she kneeled beside him, placing the brandy under the cot, close but out of reach.

Alexander lay back, he felt the day press on him, his aches and pains began to dull everything. Reaching out he took her hand and smiled up at her. "Thank you, my love." Two simple words but the meant the world to him, she meant the world to him. He'd survive this, silently he made the promise to her, once this clash with Parliament was over it would be just the two of them. Gripping her hand as if it was all that kept him awake and in this world, he could feel the strength slipping through is fingers.

"Could I, have one more kiss?" The words sounded better inside his head, they came out like a child asking his mother for something, they came out just above a whisper as he felt his eye lids grow heavy.

---

Tomas sat on the stump by the fire of the men in the company, they were all discussing the fight on Breeds Hill. How they had faced the British and trounced them, even though the men had run from the field. As if all the fear had been wiped away and the men spoke of it like a victory. It amused him how these rebellious colonists found some way to twist each defeat into a victory, just because they shot and ran. That was no fight, that was no way to win a war. Only the Crown knew how to do that.

Keeping his thoughts to himself, Tomas sharpened his blade giving an expected response to the men about the fire now and again, his eyes drifting back to the tent. Mr Gage had survived the shot, if only his aim had been a bit better, but he was no marksmen, and in the hullabaloo of the retreat he hadn't had time to aim properly. It was a spur of the moment choice, a whim, to remove Gage from Eleanor's side and leave her with him. Sadly he would only have to try again, sometime, there would be other chances.

War, was a dangerous business. Men died in war all the time, no one would ever notice one more.

A smile spread across her lips as she brushed his hair gently with her fingers. “I suppose only one more kiss and then, I must go.” She said as her eyes had soften for this man who was so different from her in his fight. Her heart split in two for her love of this man and a love for her country… her loyalty to the crown. His hands squeezing hers as if he was hoping that she would not leave him that day. Eleanor simply did not want to but she knew that she must.

He called her his love, he was in love with him and she felt it for him as she dipped down to give him one gentle soft kiss on the voice. “Sleep well.” She said to her fiancée as she waited for a few more moments for him to settle himself. It was not long before he had drifted off to sleep and she rose softly. She also went around to make sure that he would be comfortable before she had left the tent. His canteen was full, the brandy was hidden away but not too far if he truly needed it… and he had the other officers to see to his needs.

Eleanor would return to check on him but he was also a grown man and could care for himself. Most likely, he would be teased because his fiancée was so concerned for his well-being. Most women were content to stay at home but not Eleanor. She did not think that she could ever be like that.

Sighing to herself, she left the tent and looked about the camp so that she could make her exit back to her home. She could only hope that she would not run into Tomas since she knew that he was somewhere in this camp.

He was also the last face that she wanted to see that day.

---

She returned home about an hour later to her sister coming out saying, “Mother is so worried… when she heard that you were going to the military’s camp!” Betsy said as she stared at her sister. “I was only going to check on Alexander…” Eleanor said defensibly of her actions.

“Oh… were you?”

Eleanor huffed. “He was shot…”

Her sister’s eyes went wide in surprise and Eleanor knew that she had done the right thing. Her parents would not be so upset after this since her fiancée had been injured.

Waking a little later that night he noticed Masters and Hammond in the tent sitting by Hammond's cot. The lantern was hung high on the pole and giving an odd cast of light to the two. Hammond was tilting a flask of something as they were discussing some hands of whist that were played in the officers mess that evening. In deep discussion of some hands played the two were getting into a heated argument about who played the right trick when they noticed Alexander begin to rise with a groan. Suddenly the two were at his side their argument forgotten.

"Ah, Mr Gage, back from the dead I see," Hammond handed him a slightly smaller flask. Where the man obtained them he did not know, but at that moment he was glad of it and joyously partook.

The pain was a broad ache on his shoulder just then as he sat up. Looking around the two men exchanged a knowing smile before looking back at him, it was Masters who took up the conversation. "Your Miss Caldwell left soon after you fell asleep, we waited outside, discretely mind you, until she left so we would be sure she was gone. Mr Hammond believed we should not be interrupting you, I on the other hand..."

"We'll be announcing soon," he moaned. Tired and cranky he felt as if the two were judging him, he was more abrupt than he intended. Smiling weakly, "I am sorry. I just, well, I do care a lot about her and..."

Hammond held up a hand, "say no more, sir. We completely understand," Hammond moved over and sat down on the cot next to him, a brotherly arm around him, just in time as Alexander felt slightly weak just then. "Miss Caldwell, is quite the catch, or so I have heard it said. Many men will be quite jealous of you my dear Alexander, when this news gets out."

Masters rolled his eyes, "what I believe Mr Hammond is trying to say in his own way, is congratulations." Masters walked over and helped Alexander back onto the cot, giving him a long draught of water, "and that you should take it easy."

Alexander nodded and then slowly fell back into the cot, everything ached. There was not a part of his body that did not hurt in some fashion. It was odd, and the flash helped, he felt more as if he was floating in something, though it seemed more to be the cot and his blankets. Thankfully as his eyes closed again his last thoughts were of Eleanor, and how he was going to have to go see her the following day. As his eyes closed he was not aware, that he kept softly repeating her name.

And simply could not ignore and step out of being a spy for the British as she had hoped… she had sent a letter to her brother only to be told that once she agreed. There was no backing down, one of the contacts had told her that too. Eleanor simply did not know what she could do since she could not give the correct information. She had before and it had led to this battle where her fiancée had been shot. It had been her worst fear. Perhaps, that is why she needed to see him because of her guilt.

Yet, Eleanor could not tell him of her work. She could not confess to him, he would break off their engagement and then, she would have to search for another husband. Even if she was on the same side as Tomas’… the idea of being married to him. Well, it was disheartening. The romantic in her wanted to be married to someone that she was indeed in love with. Then, had she not willingly entered this for the reason to get information from the young officer? It was strange that she would fall in love with him. Her foolish heart… how she loathed it. She was in love and was ignoring her duty to King and Country. She wanted to be on the right side of history and in her heart… the colonies were rebelling over some taxes. How did they not think they were going to be taxed? Did they think that they would have a country without taxation? Of course, there was the situation of not having representation in the British system of government.

However, these things took time. There were other colonies that had taxes… there was the Northern communities and New France that had been taken in the Seven Years War years before… and they were not rioting over a bit of taxes. It was almost laughable that the rag tag military was trying to fight against a super power. Eleanor was not laughing after visiting the camp because it seemed that there was harm to both sides…

She could not sleep that night from her guilt… but she could not tell her fiancée of her crimes against him. No, she would have to continue in her intelligence or he could possibly find out. Perhaps, she could lie but that was a dangerous game as well.

How could she make things right?

---

She did finally get some sleep that night… but she did wake up exhausted. The day went on as normal as she was dressed up in her day clothes. Not the fanciest of clothing but she did looked like they had money. And it seemed that her father had some good news about a few of his investments that he had made before. There seemed to be money to be made from the war… Of course, her father had said that he wanted to remain neutral in his politics but it was because he wanted to see which way the winds of change would go.

It was good news for their family… and her sisters had the excited looks of possibly getting new dresses and to be in the society that they knew that they deserved to live in. Eleanor admitted that she also wanted new fabric for some of her dresses.

Waking with a head that felt like a cannonball had lodged there, Alexander moaned slightly. As he stirred the pain moved to his shoulder, a bright flash of light showed inside his closed eyes. Gasping his right arm shot up to touch the tender spot, as if his own hand could brush the pain away like a speck of dirt. Sadly that made it worse, his whole body ached, and he felt slightly warm. That might be the blankets though, he found himself covered in two layers, which might explain the sheen of sweat on his forehead.

A thick, dry tongue stuck out from parched lips as a hand lifted his head, a cup of water pressed itself and he drank greedily. His eyes were unfocused in the tent, it still looked dark and the gentle hands had let him drink, pulling the cup away to give him time to catch his breath. How long was he asleep? Slowly his head was placed on the pillow.

"Thank you Eleanor," he told her as he lay back and groaned softly. Never had he felt such aches and pains, even when he worked within the warehouse with his father, moving crates and barrels. Physical exhaustion was nothing compared to this.

A slight manly chuckle, "I do believe Mister Masters that our dear friend is hallucinating. Fever perhaps? Though I would rather look on Miss Caldwell's face than yours upon waking, it is much more pleasing to the eye." The voice was familiar, it took a moment to place it, Hammond.

Opening his eyes tried to sit up but his body would not, his tent mates looked at him with concern. "My apologies," Hammond helped him back into the bed, "when I fell asleep, Eleanor was here." Hammond helped him up as Alexander tried to get up again, apoligizing profusely. Masters reclaimed his brandy and with some help from the two they got him not only some breakfast but dressed. With a short visit to the doctor they aided him back home, where his mother almost died of fright at seeing his bandages. Though with some pride she did acknowledge the fine job Eleanor did in changing him.

After a short bath Alexander was back in his own bed, with new strips of cloth over his shoulder and a tray by his bedside where his mother was making sure he ate and fussed over him. Agatha had taken the liberty to leave, on an errand to fetch more medicine, and he was sure to she intended to stop and see Fannie and Betsy on her way. With a slightly full belly, and refreshed at home, he lay back for a comfortable sleep, in familiar quarters.

She had wanted to go and see Alexander once again the next day and had spoken to her mother and father about going back to the camp. Of course, her mother had been against it because it was no place for a lady. It had been bad enough that she had gone at first. However, some more good news had come about Alexander through Agatha who had come to make a quick visit to the Caldwell residence to see Betsey and Fannie. The message had been that Alexander was back home on a bit of leave to heal from his injury. Of course, her first question was if it was possible to visit.

Would Alexander’s mother and father be alright if she was to visit her fiancée? Although, it had not be officially announced. It was going to happen… he did need to officially ask her father for her hand unless they ended up eloping like they had jested about in the past.

Eleanor knew that she was going to try to see Alexander that day even if it was to bring him something to eat and to try to make him comfortable. She had been working on a patch for the inside of his coat and it was ready now. It had been something that she had said that she would make for him as a token of her affections for him and she had handstitched it for him. It was his initials and embroidery of a heart with a little yellow star in it.

It was incredibly cheesy but she did not care because it was not as if he was going to wear it on the front of his coat. No, she would be sewing it inside his coat near his heart if he liked it. She thought that she was being a bit silly but she had spent a lot of time on the little memento for him. Eleanor had gone with Agatha on the rest of her errand after she had finished with her visit to her home with her sisters. Well, Betsy and Fannie had decided to come along for the little walk since they wanted to wear their bonnets and possibly see some of the soldiers on the streets.

Like most young girls… Fannie and Betsy tend to like to gawk at all the young men that were about Cambridge these days. It did not take them long before they were at the Gage’s home and they followed Alexander’s younger sister inside the house.

Eleanor hoped that she would be able to see Alexander. Well, she was sure that he would want to see her. He had been so incredibly sweet the night before as he had fallen asleep. He had been in so much pain but had still smiled at her. She hoped that he was doing better than yesterday… her worst nightmare was if he got a fever. They would probably have to do some bloodletting to bring down the fever if that was the case.

Never one to nap he awoke, visions of Eleanor sweetened his dreams as his mother pulled the curtains closed in the room. On the sunny part of the house his room was a bit bright but he did not feel at full strength yet, he was warm but he just felt the room was too close. A small bundle of lavender was tied to his bedpost, mother had learned long ago to tie herbs and place them in their rooms, there was always something whenever Agatha or he were sick. The smell was nice, though cloying in the room.

Mother stepped in when she heard him stir, how she knew he was awake he did not know, but the footsteps on the stairs told him she had been in the kitchens and was there to check on him. Poking her head in the door the look on her face made him blanch, it was as if he was eight years old again and she had caught him taking a pie from the kitchen. "Alexander Gage, you stay in that bed." She commanded as she stepped in and walked around the bed, wiping her hands on the apron.

She leaned over and sniffed at the bandage as if checking on it, there was something there under it he knew, the poultice was thick against his skin and he still felt warm. He could see the look on her face, it was partly of pride but also worry. The glance at the uniform that was placed on the chest by his bed and he knew the source of it. Trying his best to smile and disarm her, "I am alright mother. It was the British, they came to attack us in Charlestown, and I did not duck in time."

The look on her face did not appreciate his jest, Hammond might have, but the way her head snapped around told him that she did not. "No it was you and your foolish notions," she chided him then her shoulders relaxed. "Its not my place to talk about politics, but I don't want to see you harmed," she touched his cheek gently then her brows furrowed. He knew what she wanted to say, about all the leaders who had stirred up the furor around them, mother never had been pleased about it. Though she had begrudgingly helped with the uniform she was afraid of something like this, or worse happening. "You feel a little warm, I'll go see about some soup."

Turning with a swish of skirts mother stopped as the door opened downstairs, followed by a rush of excited voices. "Sounds like Agatha is back, I hope with the medicines I asked her to get." Following the footsteps down with his ears he heard the slight giggles as mother's sonorous voice in the midst calmed it down, then softer feet creeped up the stairs towards his room, and he wondered what Agatha needed now.

Her sisters were giggling with Agatha as Eleanor was standing once again in the Gage family home as Betsy said, “Go on up, Ellie…” Fannie smirked as Eleanor could feel her cheeks going red. “Stop it.” She said as she batted at her sister. That was before Mrs. Gage was half way down the stairs when she said, “Girls…” It was as if all of them stood a little straighter as Mrs. Gage smiled at them. Eleanor would be lying if she said that her soon to be mother in law didn’t scare her a little bit. She was lucky enough that the woman seemed to like her.

At least, she smiled at Eleanor and said, “Hello dear… you can go up and see him. He’s awake and decent.” She mentioned with made Fannie and Betsy giggle as Eleanor glared at them. “Agatha, bring Frances and Elizabeth into the sitting room.” She instructed as she took the medicine from her daughter and then gave them to Eleanor. “He will need to take some of this. I will be up soon.” She mentioned as she went to usher the other girls out of the front foyer.

Eleanor nodded and thanked Mrs. Gage as she went up the stairs. “It’s the second room on the left.” Mrs. Gage informed her as Eleanor lifted her skirts to go up the stairs. She was a little anxious to see how he was doing. There was some relief that he was home with his family because it could not have been safe out in the field hospital.

There was a tap at his door as she slowly opened it, “Alexander?” She whispered as she looked towards the bed and saw that he was in it. “Is it alright if I come in?” She asked him with a small smile as she walked into the room. “Agatha came over to see my sisters and me… and she said that you were safe at home so, I wanted to come and see you.” She said as she had the basket of medicine for him. “How are you feeling today?” Closing the door behind her, she went over to sit herself on the chair by the bed. A part of her wanted to sit on the bed but he knew that would be considered inappropriate of her. “I was worried.” Eleanor said as she leaned forward a little. “I have some of the medicine that your sister went out to get for you.” She mentioned to him.

Alexander lay in the blankets until his mother left the room, then pushing them aside let his body cool slightly. It was a warm day outside and the room's atmosphere was close, the bandage felt better and though he ached a lot it was nice to be home. The feet going down the stairs and voices downstairs made Alexander wonder what was going on. Voices rose up through the floor, and as he shifted in the bed he tried to move off the bed, feeling like he was shirking his responsibilities by lying in bed. As he moved a leg off the bed his shoulder shifted and the race of pain down his arm made him groan and lay back. The feeling stopped on the stairs then coming back made him wonder if at first his mother was coming back.

Knowing that he would not hear the end of things if he moved slowly pulled his leg back on to the bed, avoiding a shift of his shoulder that still ached slightly. A tap at the door as Eleanor's voice came to him, he paused and lay back the smile growing on his face. She was unexpected, but a pleasant surprise nonetheless. Watching as she moved into the room, the skirts swishing around her legs as Eleanor came to sit on the chair. Her hand holding the small bottle that Anna had gone to fetch. Smiling as she came in, it was like a breath of fresh air, the room seemed brighter as she came in.

"I'm feeling much better now," his broad smile could not hide his pleasure at seeing her again. Even if she was carrying the medicine that he knew was going to be so bitter that he would regret taking it. "I didn't know that you were coming," his cheeks reddened as he almost admitted he thought she was his mother.

"I was glad to hear that I could come back and recover, the camp, from what some of the older men were saying, is no place to convalesce if it can be helped." For a moment he stopped as he was sure she did not want to hear about the camp and anything to recall the battle, though he still felt a bit of pride at his part within it. Not as much pride as he felt in Eleanor, "sorry to bring up anything unpleasant. At least at home you can visit me more freely," or at least he hoped she would come to see him more.

"Perhaps, we should plan on when to make our announcement," he offered. Wanting to take his mind off the ache in his shoulder, pulling the blankets back as he heard his mother's footsteps downstairs.

Moving her skirts a little to get more comfortable, Eleanor looked at him with a tilt of her head. “Why are you apologizing, Alexander?” She said softly as she moved herself and helped him with the blankets, perhaps she was being a busybody but she wanted to help him as much as she could. “I know that we are not married yet but if you want to talk about your experiences… well, I am quite willing to listen. I cannot say that I know what it is like but…” She blushed a little. “I do hope that you will see me as both wife and friend in our coming nuptials.” And then, there was the feeling of guilt because she was in love with this man. He was a rebel and yet, she was completely and utterly in love with him.

She wanted to tell him that she had not been honest with him… that she was a liar. Not about her love but… she felt like a coward. “I plan to come and visit as much as your mother allows me… although, I won’t bring Fannie and Betsy every time. I am so happy that they have become fast friends with your sister.” She said with a light laugh. “Oh, I suppose that we ought to announce it soon and plan for it… Mother is wanting to tell everyone about it… but she also wants a long engagement. Father said that was silly… after all, my mother and he eloped in England.” She smiled at that, her mother had been a daughter to a noble and her father was only a lawyer but they had moved to the ‘new world’ with their children. “I mean… I hope that you do not want to have a long engagement either.”

She watched him for a moment feeling her heart swell. Lord, she had never thought of love like this before. “Oh! I brought this medicine that your sister got at the shop… I think it will be good for you to take some…?” She was not sure what it was but at least a physician had not blood let. She had had a fever before and they had blood let… she had hated it.

“Perhaps, when you are feeling better too… we can go for a few walks together?” She said, “That is before you have to go back to your regiment.” She reached out for his hand. “I am just happy that you are safe.” She said gently, her mind not focusing anymore on her own crimes.

Back
Top Bottom