Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Calling Upon a Sword Sister ( causeway25)

Mars Rover

Meteorite
The village of Elenshire was, by all accounts, a rather unimportant holding of the king. Situated away from the main roads it lacked any real strategic importance nor was it a large center for trade. It had no special resources to offer and it's people were not especially renowned for anything. To put it simple it was just another village for the king to draw wheat, taxes, and occasional soldiers from. This is also when the village pleaded for aid a month ago the request was largely ignored by their ruler in favor of more "pressing" matters.

That is why, one week ago, the village had sent word to the Knightly Order of Palavan. "We are but humble farmers your Ladyship," it had begged. "We have nary the means to defend ourselves from beasts large than the occasional orc or dire wolf. This creature that has settled in our lands in unlike either of them. It hides in the woods at night and preys on our people. Three of our fellows have been taken already including my own daughter, a sweet lass who had just entered womanhood. We beg of you. All we ask is one Sword Sister to dispose of this creature and free us from this evil. We have little to offer save our gratitude but anything we own is yours if that is what it will take."

And so it was that Daniel, the local blacksmith who had penned the letter, stood on the hilltop leading into the village everyday waiting and watching. It was all they could hope for to see a flash of metal or the stream of a red flag. Everything depended on it.

The Lady Castiana, Sword Sister of the Knightly Order of Palavan, stood rode up to the hilltop where Danile was waiting, her scarlet cape and long, flowing blonde hair billowing behind her. Her silver armor shimmered in the light of the setting sun, its elegantly engraved plates fitting closely to her curvaceous form, with strips of parchment covered in holy writings affixed to it by red wax seals. She dismounted, and grabbed her master-crafted pollaxe from her mount, a gilded longsword of similar make hanging in a scabbard at her hip.

She approached, her emerald eyes displaying confidence, and a sheer certainty of the rightness of her cause. "You are the one who sent for me, then? What sort of foul creature plagues your village?"

The lowly blacksmith, practically blinded by her beauty and righteousness, hurriedly bowed his head and removed his hat. "Beg your pardon your ladyship," he spoke with reverence. "Yes, it was I who sent for you. I know not what manner of beast it is only that is of a most ferocious sort. Those that have seen it said it is a long black thing, covered in scales, and with piercing red eyes." Looking up at her he tried to hide the sadness in his voice. "It...took my daughter, my lady, and left nothing but blood in her place. It was just a few night ago that a pair of local boys found what they believe is the lair of the creature, off in the woods. Since it only comes out at night I believed now would be the best time to strike!"

With head still bowed he gestured to the simple village ahead. Made up of simple cottages with thatched roofs, a single windmill, and stone fences its charm hid the terror that had apparently gripped them. "They can show you where the cave it my lady and we can offer you and supplies you need."

"I will not require much," she said, following behind the blacksmith. "Perhaps a lantern, if it is indeed in a cave; fetch me one, and I shall go to the beast's lair, and put an end to it as swiftly as possible."

She looked at the village, noting the humble state of the inhabitants. Truly they are in need of her assistance to destroy this foul creature.

The blacksmith bowed lower, if that was possible, and led her towards his home. A few of the townspeople watched her from their windows, a few children straying outside until their mothers dragged them back in, but it seemed that fear had gripped the community.

The blacksmith presented her with a lantern, finely crafted. "I made this myself. It was supposed to be my daughter's when she was married." He handed it over, sadness giving way to anger. "Please, avenge her."

A pair of young men, tall and thin, soon arrived as well. With similar curly hair and stature it was clear they were brothers. "We heard the creature roar as it went into this cave out there," one of them told her. "We would not risk going back ourselves but will tell you where it can be found."

"Tell me, then," she said, her voice confident, charismatic and commanding respect.

She followed their instructions, going through the dark forest, pollaxe in one hand slung over her shoulder, and lantern in the other. Eventually, she came to the forbidding entrance of that dark lair. Her steely green eyes gazed inside, as though daring anything to come out.

Back
Top Bottom