Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Oh, Gods...(Candira and Razgriz)

The dogs were still on Katsumi's mind as she ate. Who did they belong to? It seemed as though they were pretty well trained, even if they had knocked her over and covered her in puppy kisses. They were adorable, but enormous. One didn't often see dogs like those around, let alone so many. Her family wasn't poor by any stretch, but the kind of wealth it took to maintain animals like that was pretty rare. Not to mention, the dogs were...intimidating. At first it had seemed like they were guarding something.

Otoya joined Mai and Katsumi at the dinner table shortly after they began. His wife kissed his cheek and Katsumi greeted him with enthusiasm. She helped her mom serve up Otoya's portion of the meal and let her mother answer.

"Welcome home, dear. Shrine duty was fairly uneventful today, though we should be picking up more visitors soon--it will be time for cram schools to start recruiting students soon, and kids will be wanting some charms. But My day was rather slow. I did most of the cleaning before Katsumi got there. But I believe Katsumi experienced something different."

"Oh! That's right. I saw some big black dogs near the top of the stairs leading to the shrine. They were very sweet and well-trained, but they were a little intimidating at first. I didn't think there were any dogs like that around here. They were very playful, though," she said, smiling a little. Her parents knew of her love for animals, despite her normally serious and lady-like nature. She always melted when animals were involved. It was a weakness that would be fairly easy to take advantage of if one were trying to be friends with her.

Otoya was glad that their days were relatively uneventful; he couldn't necessarily say the same about himself, but that was alright. It wasn't a good day if he didn't to blow a hole in twelve different cases. He could understand trying to take liberties, but some of the things that the defense attorneys were trying to pull made his job so damned difficult. But still, the fact that he had such a loving family to come home to made it all worthwhile.

Otoya just smiled as she mentioned the start of cram school; he remembered his time in cram school. So much time spent trying to memorize every little thing just to take the entrance exam for the University of Tokyo. A grind to be sure, but getting his degree and license proved the effort valid.

His smile turned downward ever so slightly at the mention of dogs. Wild dogs around the shrine? Otoya had never heard of such a thing, and honestly even though he knew quite well his daughter's affection of animals, he questioned her decision to be near them. Who knew if they were rabid or something? He kept quiet though, since Katsumi was uninjured.

"Seems like you always manage to make friends, even when you don't try to." Otoya replied, smiling in return. "Speaking of cram school though, Katsumi...Are you ready for that yourself? With everything you have going, I want to be sure that you get proper rest and nutrition."

Despite Katsumi's warm feelings for the dogs, Mai could sense her husband's disapproval. On some level, she was certain that he only wanted the best for the girl, but she was a little put out that he couldn't loosen up a little. He also seemed to miss the part about them being trained if the lessening of his smile was any indication. But he seemed to accept it, so that was fine for now. But really, both he and Katsumi would have to learn to relax a little at some point, and it was nice, in her mind, that their daughter still appreciated chance encounters like the one she'd had today.

"Well, it's nice to have friends," Mai said, smiling as she continued to eat her dinner.

"Cram school? I don't know...I have a lot of stuff in the air, but my grades are pretty good. Do you think I need to go? Should I?" she asked, wondering if her grades were good enough. She was an excellent student, but she wasn't sure what would come at the end of the year. And Katsumi hated to be unprepared.

"It's not your grades I am concerned about, dear. I know you are an outstanding student" Otoya reminded his daughter gently, adding "It's just that if you plan to attend a university, the entrance exams will be very challenging. I only wish the best for you." Of course, he would gladly try to find her a private tutor in case she decided not to go to cram school.

Plus...There was that braggart new student that had given her a hard time. On his first day, no less. He couldn't help but wonder if he would become a problem in the future.

He then reached and placed a hand caringly on Katsumi's, "You know I will support you in whatever you decide for your future. You've made your mother and I so proud. I only offer cram school as a suggestion to help you be ready."

He then sat back and stated with his gentle grin, "But, that time will come soon enough. How did archery go today? I'm willing to bet you put everyone else there to shame."

Katsumi nodded, her chopsticks at her lips. Her father was right, as usual. Entrance exams were meant to be difficult. They were always a hectic time. Cram school might not be a bad idea. It wasn't like the exams were far away...a few practice exams and some extra lessons might not be a bad idea.

She smiled as her father encouraged her and nodded. "Thank you, dad." She was just about to eat more fish when he asked about archery. "Oh, I don't know if I put them to shame, but I did set a record," she said with a grin. "I was on top of my game today." She was flushed with pride and happiness at her achievement.

"Our new members seemed impressed. I even got a compliment from Njord. I thought all he was capable of were bad jokes, condescension, and bragging. But he actually gave me a compliment. He might very well be growing." She smiled and then continued eating her fish.

Her daughter's comments about the new student caught Mai's attention. "Oh? Well it's good to see that you're having a positive influence."

"I don't know if that's true, but he seems to respect me a little more now, so that's nice."

Mai smiled, "So, tell us about this boy. I want to know more about him. He seems to keep crossing paths with you." Somehow, she doubted that was a coincidence. Her daughter was beautiful and talented, and it would be no shock if this big lug that was following her around was secretly attracted to her. And it was about time for her to stop being so damned good all the time. It wasn't that she wasn't proud, but rebellion was normal at her age. And if she never made mistakes, she would never grow.

"Hm? Well, I guess we have similar interests. He only seems to enjoy history and martial arts. My friend Ami really seems to like him. I can't really figure out why, though. But I guess he has his good points. However hard they may be to find at first." She shrugged and looked at her mother. "I don't know much else about him."

"I see... well, perhaps he just doesn't know how things work here yet. I'm sure that once he calms down a bit, things will be just fine." Yes, appear to be encouraging of simple friendship. That was the way, Mai. That was the way.

Otoya smiled in return, pleased at his daughter's grin. It always made him proud to see her show pride in something, and as long as she could feel that way about everything she undertook, he would die a happy man.

And with this, hey continued with his meal as Katsumi brought up Njord to his wife; his face fell as that boy was mentioned. But before anything could indicate trouble, she explained that he had given her an honest compliment. Well, at least he seemed to not be causing her any problems. Even still, he wanted to be certain that this fellow would not become any more of a nuisance. The last thing he needed was for some ill-mannered foreign student to interrupt his daughter's studies because he felt a compulsive need to single her out.

"I don't think them crossing paths is too uncommon, Mai. Though based on what you told me of him, Katsumi, I find it surprising that he's in the same classes you are taking. They have electives that are more his style, do they not?" he then asked his daughter. His tone clearly conveyed a clear sense of concern, even if his words were not indicative of any such thought.

"Maybe he's trying to branch out? Who knows? Or maybe his parents don't think his interests fit with the job market. Lord only knows if he did only what he wanted he'd be an even bigger troublemaker." At this she shrugged and set her bowl aside as she finished her meal, focusing instead on her tea.

"Anyway, he's just a goofball with a penchant for putting his foot in his mouth and getting carried away. Once he settles down, I'm sure he'll be fine."

Mai thought about it for a moment, convinced that this boy would worm his way into her daughter's life, and possibly her heart. He was just the kind to give her daughter a taste of fun and rebellion, and help her become a more complete person. And it seemed like underneath all the foolishness, he was concerned about Katsumi's well-being. It seemed he even respected her in his own way. It would be an interesting year, it seemed. And it would be fun to tease her husband about it, and then be his stress relief.

Otoya nodded at her daughter's wise words; really, he knew he shouldn't worry too much. Katsumi knew how to handle herself, and she wouldn't hesitate to assert herself if need be. He didn't have his wife's hopes of Katsumi continuing to interact with this boy; in fact, he thought it best to have her stay away from him as much as she could help it.

"I suppose you're right; it must be quite difficult for him, but I am glad to hear that he's calming down" Otoya replied, taking a sip of his own tea in contentment. Yes, everything would be much better from now on.

Dinner came and went without much else happening; Otoya took care of getting the table cleared after giving Mai a loving kiss on the cheek, allowing his wife and daughter to tend to their own duties.

Katsumi pondered her father's words. He was a wise man, if a bit calculating. It was natural that he was so protective of her--it was painfully clear that he didn't care for the idea of her hanging out with Njord. Though she couldn't really blame her father, she thought the giant was being treated a bit unfairly. They had gotten off to a rocky start because of his immaturity and arrogance, but he had shown himself to be someone of dignity, even underneath all of that machismo. There were clearly layers in his flawed personality, and it seemed unfair to judge him based off of Katsumi's little gripes. He had helped her quite a bit since he arrived. He had helped her to the nurse's office when she was having such a terrible reaction, he had given her a ride home twice now--when she missed the bus, and even when she hadn't. She nodded at her father's comment and finished the meal lost in thought, though the topic was stuck on the same man, much to her chagrin.

He wasn't all bad. She sighed as she got ready for her bath, frowning as she remembered the violence he had visited upon her. The bruises were darker now on her chest and she touched them gently. He was like a beast, and fighting him was like trying to break through a steel wall with her bare hands. And he was freakishly fast.

The image of him as a warrior came to her once again. She could see him cloaked in crimson, covered in blood on the battlefield. Why was the vision of him so vivid? He was fierce, but he was such a goofball it was hard to take him seriously. Perhaps this mixture was what made her so curious about him. But it wasn't a tug at her heart--though her friends had made it clear they disagreed with her on that point.

Katsumi sighed as she washed her hair, the muscles moving on their own from memory. What was wrong with her? She needed to focus on something else...

Dogs. Yes, the dogs she'd seen today. Who didn't love a good dog? A monster, that was who. They had all been friendly, but had looked so fierce at first. They had impeccable training, but they acted like little puppies when she let her guard down around them. Maybe she would see them again sometime? She hoped so. Maybe when she was out of the house, she would get a dog of her own.

She smiled and finished cleaning before she got in the tub, her hair wrapped in a turban. "Mmm, I wonder who they belonged to?"

Mai smiled at her husband's affection. Her daughter's face, however, was unmistakable. She was thinking deeply about something--probably the boy who'd so recently captured her attention--much to Otoya's dismay. It was only a matter of time before he wormed his way further into her daughter's life. She was interested in meeting this boy, and curious to know what he was like.

"Mmmm, Otoya...do you have to work tonight? I miss my husband." She, of course, couldn't help but compare Njord's antics with her husband's. Little by little he'd worked his way into her life and into her heart. And it was just lucky for him that he'd been a perfect match for her. She couldn't help but wonder if Njord would end up being a good match for Katsumi, too.

Well, she was getting ahead of herself. For now, she was content to watch her daughter struggle with her emotions and thoughts, pleased to know that someone was watching out for her--even if his intentions were less than pure.

Meanwhile, as Njord watched over his charge, Kumi appeared before him. "Well, hello, old friend. I'm just here to check in with you. How goes your watch? Anything new to report?" she asked, running her fingers through her blue-streaked hair. The last time she'd been present, the midnight-cloaked woman had been dragging a demon off to hell to meet her master...and the demon had met with an unfortunate end. Her appearance here meant either that they had found something out that he needed to know, or--more likely--that they had learned nothing and were looking for an update.

Otoya had cleared the table, allowing Mai the freedom to relax; the first break was coming up fairly soon, and he imagined that the shrine near their home would be quite busy during that time. Still though...His thoughts were plagued by this 'Njord'. Foreigner or not, he certainly should have been raised with some level of decency, right? Nordic descent aside, any sort of wild behavior should be tamed out...But maybe Sweden was more different than he realized. After all, it wasn't like he traveled there, even occasionally.

And then there was those dogs Katsumi mentioned; he didn't spend nearly as much time at the shrine as his daughter or wife did, but he knew his property well enough to be aware that there were no packs of wild hounds roaming about. At least, there shouldn't have been...And he counted himself as well as Katsumi lucky they weren't rabid or feral. That could have ended badly...Very badly.

"Perhaps I do worry too much..." Otoya thought to himself, putting the last dish away in the cupboard. It was hard to picture a nation of fight-happy savages; Europe had so many countries though, some of them larger than the entire main island of Japan. Maybe the boy was from small rural village or something...Yeah, that had to be it. And besides...Otoya had his rabble-rousing moments when he was younger too. Perhaps he was being too judgmental.

Running a hand through his hair, the man turned as his wife told him she missed her husband. Putting the damp towel back on the counter, he just replied with a smile, "I've missed my wife, too. You can't imagine the torture of my being away from you so long." He then walked over and kissed her forehead, "How about we go upstairs and I show you exactly how much I missed you? I don't have to go in until later tomorrow...So you have me for the whole night, my lovely cherry blossom."

Njord stood vigilant on his watch, senses keen and ready for action at even the slightest hint of movement. He could hear the whimpers of the dogs, they being upset at their playtime being cut short. "Look guys, I know you find her fun...But you're here to protect, you know? Just keep her safe, and then you can love on her all you like when she has free time." he muttered under his breath, just moments before Kumi appeared by his side.

"Aside from the hysterical sight of the 'vicious hellhounds' nearly licking Katsumi to death? Not even a possessed rat trying to gnaw at her ankle." Njord joked, emphasizing the mortals' misconception on these dogs. Were they big and vicious? Sure, and the size was a deeply-rooted characteristic of their breeding. But only were they nasty if people gave them a reason to be...Which was FAR more common than most realized.

"So, tell me...Find anything on my dear brother Connie? Or is he being his usual pouty self now that one of his toys was taken from him?" then asked; of course, he imagined that the man would never reveal what it was he was REALLY doing. He was a bit of a shyster that way, insofar that he kept things very under wraps.

Otoya's smile was always a pleasure Mai could not resist. It did something to her and made him irresistible. He had such a way with her. Oh, his lines were cheesy, but she liked it that way. Plus, underneath that suit was a body she couldn't ignore. There was a reason they'd had Katsumi so young... And that silver tongue of his got him so far with her. He'd always had that going for him. It was probably why he was such a successful lawyer.

"Torture, is it? Well, it looks like you have a lot of healing to do tonight," she said with a smile. She kissed him and slipped her arms around his waist, staying very close as she gazed into his eyes. "Now, let's go upstairs and get to work," she purred, squeezing him a little closer.

Kumi hadn't heard Njord's advice to the guard dogs, but if she had, she might have turned that advice right back on him. She was surprised, however, to find out that Katsumi had charmed the hell hounds. Only their trainer was treated well, let alone shown that kind of affection. She laughed out loud at the image in her head, but this only further proved that Katsumi was special. The dogs had felt no threat--no reason to attack her. In fact, they had found a reason to love her like their own master. She had a unique purity that drew her very important suitor to her, as well as other, less desirable elements.

"Well, I'm glad that your time has been uneventful, so far. Makes my job a great deal easier. It seems like you've patched things up pretty nicely. It's good to see you doing well."

Kumi brushed a piece of lint off of her kimono as Njord mentioned his brother. "Well, that's the thing that bothers us. He's been quiet. A good boy, even. So far, he's kept his hands clean. The demon used to work for him, but he cut her loose months ago. She's a free agent now, and she got her job through an intermediary. We're looking into it, though. It brings up a whole host of problems for you. Someone leaked information. People know about her, and as much as you want to train her, I don't think there will be time.

"I've been asked to help stimulate her powers via archery, so I'm going to the school soon to charm her bow. Do your best to convince her to use it as much as possible. Her awareness and her strength will grow the more she uses it. Train her to fight as much as you like, but this will speed things up considerably."

She frowned a little. "You might need to worm your way into her circle of friends a little faster."

Otoya saw the look in his wife's eyes and knew that he would be in for a long night. Though he certainly wouldn't complain, especially after the sweet tender kiss that made him swoon for her all over again.

"More than happy to, darling. This kind of work I can get behind" he stated, giving her rear a playful squeeze before leading them upstairs and into their room.

Njord just snickered as she complimented him, replying playfully "Well, that's not something I hear from you very often, Kumi-chan. Usually you're being mean to me for no reason at all." He knew very well though why she often rode him; he was a firecracker, but what reason was there to be anything but himself? That would be dishonest, and despite many of his shortcomings, he was honest to a fault. Sometimes too much so.

"So, ol' Connie's playing by the rules now, is he? There's a surprise" the Swede snarked; but then, D was never one for nonsense. And if anyone pulled anything more than him, it was his brother Connie. Of course, that was just a nickname. And like Kumi's, it was one he loathed called.

"But as for him cutting her loose? I might have been wrong about the smith, but I know Connie better than anyone. There's no way he'd let an associate go...Not by choice, anyway." he stated; of this he knew. Connie was always a greedy scheming bastard, wanting everything that was rare and unobtainable for himself. It more often than not led to him and D butting heads. But that still left a question: Was the demon taken from him and Connie somehow missed it? Or was this one of his brother's ploys gone awry? Either way, he just knew Connie was seething right now.

"In any event, Connie's probably sulking in a corner, running his minions ragged. Would explain why he's been so quiet." he then said. After a moment's pause, he then asked, "Kumi, after tomorrow, can you possibly cover me? Or find someone else? If someone did leak information, Connie's going to be our best lead. He's got informants everywhere, and we're going to need his help tracking down whoever did this."

Mai followed her husband up the stairs and into their shared room, pleased to finally have some time with her lover. It had been awhile since she'd let her hair down, and she always liked it best when he was around to watch. The playful squeeze he gave her, had her giggling like a school girl and then they were in bed again, lost in each other.

Katsumi was blissfully unaware as she listened to music and did her homework, only slightly distracted by errant thoughts of recent events...and new people. It wasn't long before she called it a night, her music still playing as it lulled her to sleep.

Kumi frowned. As much as she knew Njord would be helpful in dealing with Connie, she knew that it would be a big risk to his charge. There was a reason the Swede had been placed in charge of the girl's safety, and if Kumi could have done the job herself, she probably would have already been assigned. It was a large task. She could hold off the lower elements but if word got out that Njord was not attending his post, things could get ugly quickly.

"Hmmm, that might not be wise...It's likely that the people behind this little attempt knew that our suspicions would land on Connie and it would draw you out from your post." She frowned, nervously toying with the electric blue ends of her hair, needing to keep some part of her body moving at all times to contain the excess energy. All this stress was going to end up killing her...or giving her wrinkles. And she really didn't want to have to deal with that on top of everything else.

"I'll ask my master what to do about your post if you're set on going. Just be aware that even if we find a replacement, it's not going to be easy to come back in a timely manner. You might even draw your dear brother out into the open. You know how he loves a competition..." She sighed, trying not to imagine the kind of migraine that man would cause them both if he started sniffing around.

"You said the hell hounds took a liking to Katsumi? Perhaps they can be persuaded to look after her in your stead...at least while she's outside of school. I'm sure she'd enjoy their company if she wasn't scared off before. Who doesn't love a big, lovable, loyal friend?" She smirked, imagining Njord with dog ears and a tail. Somehow it fit a little too well with his personality.

Njord nodded as Katsumi revealed her thoughts. Yeah, it was risky, perhaps dangerously so. He had figured that this could very well be a diversionary tactic designed specifically to get him to leave. But sometimes sitting back was the wrong move to make. Sometimes being proactive and launching a preemptive strike was the best course of action.

"Unfortunately, my dear Kumi, getting Connie out in the open is exactly what I have in mind." Njord explained, stroking the thick beard upon his chin in thought. And he knew just how to get under his brother's skin and force his hand, as much Connie loved believing that he could never be manipulated. The man had a control complex, more deeply set that anyone the Swede had ever seen.

Still, using the dogs might not be a bad idea. Of course, given that only those with high spiritual awareness could see them, Njord wondered just how wise that move might be. Sure, Katsumi could interact with them, but if she got too playful with them while her parents were in sight...It was bound to draw more than a few stares. But then, once she was in the house, she would be safe. Plus, he had a feeling the brutes would love a chance to spend more time with her.

"Hmmm...Alright, yeah. I'll have them tail her to and from school. They won't get close to her while she's there, but they'll play definitely want to play with her when she gets back." he nodded his confirmation; as long as the dogs were with her, things should be fine. He knew it was a risky move, and had a damn good feeling B and D would chew his ass out for abandoning his post. But his gut told him it was worth taking.

Kumi frowned. Last time Connie had been around, there had been plenty of collateral damage. But he could be a very handy ally. The risks were still a little greater than the potential boost to their cause at this point, in her opinion. Besides...Connie wasn't exactly subtle. That was saying something when Njord was involved. Connie's direct approach was something a lot of men would admire. He was a little too charming for his own good. Still...maybe it was the right call to make. She, herself could pose as a visiting teacher to keep an eye on Katsumi at school. The dogs would handle her transportation and her shift at the shrine. Anything other than that, and she would have trouble explaining her presence.

"I need to ask my lord for some help covering her, but if you think it's best, I don't see how it can be helped. Try not to cause too much trouble. And don't forget to come up with a reason you're absent from school. I'll do what I can."

"Trust me. Having him out here will, at the very least, be an effective deterrent to anyone coming near her. Especially with what I have planned." Njord grinned a little; he wouldn't quite tell Katsumi what he was planning. And really, it would work out for her as well. Connie was much like Njord in many ways; but then, him and his brothers were all like that. Frank, to the point that many would consider rude or obscene.

"Trust me, I'm sure D will understand where I'm coming from on this." As for a reason, he would gladly be able to come up with one...Once he got back. "But we'll do this after sunrise, since you have a bow to enchant and all, then go talk to my brother about this. And I need to make absolutely certain the dogs know where to leave off Katsumi's trail. " He had a feeling that Kumi would have plenty of residual energy from Katsumi's bow to work with; after all, the girl was quite gifted. That much Njord could tell when he first laid eyes on her.

While he didn't anticipate D to outright stop him from going through with this, he imagined the stuck-up guy would no doubt be reminding him constantly about the danger he was putting Katsumi in. "Don't worry, I won't move an inch until you get back." he then told his comrade, reassuring her that he was willing to play by the rules.

Kumi sighed and put her head in her hand. She was getting a migraine. Her boss wouldn't like this, but she doubted that he would try to stop his own brother. "I guess. I'm not terribly worried about People bothering Katsumi with him hanging around. I'm worried about how he'll react to Katsumi..." There was that direct approach again. It was going to be hell dealing with the two of them at once. Njord knew where to draw the line, but Connie was more of a loose cannon.

"Well, no point in getting hung up on ifs and buts, right? I'll try to hurry back. The enchantment won't take long, but the conversation might. D's been busy lately. I'll see you as soon as I can relieve you. Maybe have a chat with your dogs while I'm gone."

With that, Kumi faded away into the evening and set about her new tasks.

Kumi did have a point; though even if Njord knew how to restrain himself, he wasn't exactly a model of civility either. Not that he was mean...More free-spirited than anything. Connie could be downright cruel, however, and for no good reason other than sheer arrogance.

"Yeah...Though I'm hoping my brother sees where I'm coming from." he replied, only to watch Kumi disappear to take care of her own business. Njord would certainly use this time to make sure the hounds would understand his directions. To the letter. Giving a short whistle, the three dogs were sitting at attention in front of him on the roof of the Sango household.

"Alright, you three. Listen and listen well." he then started, getting them ready to be fit for escort duty.

*Elsewhere*

The man named 'D' was busy preparing a scroll, the words written in an ancient tongue, with another attendant - a frail-looking man with no visible hair and sunken cheeks dressed in loose-fitting robes, his eyes a cloudy grey - stood with patience. "Take this to my contact in Greece." D stated to the individual, tying the scroll shut with a length of black silk before handing it over. "Yes, sir" said the attendant obediently, his form vaporizing into a cloud of clear smoke.

In this dark place D stood alone, a single mount before him holding what appeared to be a globe, its surface riddled with pinpoints of light. "Why..." he muttered; if it was who he thought it was, why was this individual going through so much trouble to steal this girl? Perhaps he would need to do some further research once the true culprit was apprehended.

Just then, one of HIS attendants appeared: A female dressed in a grey blazer and skirt, chocolate-color hair done up into a tight bun. "As I already explained to your master, she should not have left his service" D stated in an annoyed tone, to which the attendant replied, "It was a covert operation designed to help you, and besides you know how he gets." D just turned around, "And tell me, you HONESTLY think that someone who drew the attention of one that powerful wouldn't draw your master's interest as well?" The attendant froze, "Look, I'm just the messenger, alright?"

D then approached the woman, hands behind his back and stating even more coldly, "Then deliver this to him: The next time he complains, I will shut his mouth so thoroughly he won't even be able to sneeze correctly." The woman just sighed and vanished, knowing she could get nowhere with him. D let out a sigh; he might be brothers with that blowhard, but he had no time for games.

Enchanting the bow hadn't taken long at all for an attendant of Kumi's talents. She was pretty gifted in that area for someone who wasn't a god. As it was now, the bow would offer protection to its master, and help her to unlock her potential much faster each time she practiced with it. Now, Katsumi could grow stronger without having to get beaten up by that brick wall of a Swede. Her task accomplished, Kumi headed for HQ, knowing she was probably going to have to sell this idea to her master.

Poor D. He had so much on his plate already. It hardly seemed fair to trouble him with more stress. He was a good master, and very kind to her. Whenever she delivered bad news, she felt a pang of guilt for not being able to fix the problem herself. It wasn't as though he would blame her for the situation they were in now, but having to see his stress level go up was almost as bad as being yelled at and punished.

Sighing, she straightened her kimono and faded into view bowing in respect. "Master, I have completed the tasks. I bring back a message from your brother..."

D didn't even turn to acknowledge Kumi's presence at first, his face peering out a glass window to the bright moon above. It was an amusing thought to consider how things had evolved over the years. The early people of this planet thought the moon a divine symbol, and in some respects they were right. But for the most part, it was a piece of barren rock, shaped by eons of corroding solar gusts and impacts from smaller rocks.

"Very good, Kumi. Am I right to assume that this message is concerning our recent 'problem'?" he then asked her, his eyes narrowing as they focused on something in the distance before he went over and pushed the window open. At that moment, a raven flew in and landed neatly on D's outstretched arm, a rolled note bound to its left leg in red silk ribbon. The bird gave a loud caw before starting to preen its feathers as the man's other hand nimbly undid the bind and let the message fall into his palm. Once done, the bird took off again, leaving the two of them to their discussion.

"I apologize if I appear distracted, my friend. So many people suddenly seem so interested to talk to me." he then added on as an afterthought.

Kumi smirked. Yes, her master was quite popular these days. He'd always been on the busy side, but never in such a social way. It was amazing to her how hard he worked. He was so admirable! What a wonderful boss...and he considered her a friend. It always made her happy to know that he felt attached to her in a way that was at least a little deeper than simple colleagues. But now wasn't really the time to focus on that. Especially since she was going to deliver some upsetting news.

"You never need to apologize to me, my lord, though I do appreciate the courtesy. You are correct about the subject matter, as always," she said, straightening and pushing some hair out of her face. "Njord seems to think that the best way to handle things is to draw Connie out into the open. He could be a powerful ally, and he's probably our best lead at this point. Njord has always understood the way his mind works best. Unfortunately, that would mean leaving his post, even for a short time. The hell hounds have taken a liking to her, so he can get them to cover her when she's in transit and at the shrine. I can be anywhere I need to be if you agree to this, but I think it might be worth the risks..." She paused here, waiting to see what her master thought. Hopefully, he wouldn't get too upset.

She really hated when D was upset...

D let this message sink in, a heavy sigh leaving him as his back remained turned to Kumi; yes, it could work, but then he would have to listen to all the bellyaching. Honestly, he might be bound to make sure things remained in order, but just what was so special about this girl that it seemed EVERYONE wanted her? Even more someone like B, as his brother so charmingly referred to the girl's suitor?

Well, there was always that...But even still, he was a man of facts. And it made it worse that his preternatural gifts of insight and informational processing made such things painfully clear.

"I just know I'm going to get an earful. Very well, Njord may proceed with his scheme. But tell my brother that his tab is running high, and he's due to pay it in full soon." was D's statement after a prolonged pause; weighing the options, getting Connie out there was certainly a gamble. But it could flush out someone that could link them to the person responsible. And even though D knew EXACTLY who it was, he was always one to have an airtight reason to make an 'appointment'.

"Let's just hope that the hounds do little more than follow her and keep her safe. No one else at her school will be able to see them, and the last thing we need is her drawing attention by playing with 'invisible pets'."

Kumi smiled--a kind of grimace, really. Though she wasn't aware of the specifics of the task her master had been undertaking, the assistant knew that it was Hell to deal with. "It shall be done. And who knows? Maybe things will go smoothly for once?" It never hurt to be optimistic. Joking, she came to his side and pressed some enchanted ear plugs into his hand. "In case you get that earful," she teased. If he put them in, he would hear her telling him everything would be fine in a soothing voice, and some soft music in the background.

"I'll be sure to be extra intimidating as I deliver your message. And don't worry about the hounds. I'll watch over her at school, and I'll make sure Njord knows to give the dogs very specific instructions. Thank you, master. And good luck in your dealings until I return."

With that, she bowed deeply and then slowly faded from view, reappearing before Njord. As she relayed the message to him, she hoped that this situation would end soon. Her master was getting overworked.

By the time Kumi had reappeared, the wee hours of the morning were beginning to make themselves apparent; the dogs were nowhere to be found, and Njord was still dutifully attending his post as promised. So all he could do was listen as Kumi told him of what his brother said. Though her delivery...Good god, the way she spoke even had him gulping a bit. Just what the hell got into her?

"Sheesh, I get it, it's risky." he replied, putting his hands up defensively before crossing his arms over his chest once more. "Figures though, he makes it seem like I haven't helped him before" Njord then added as a joke, his face twisting into a playful pout; he was well aware of being in D's debt for more than his fair share of mishaps.

"Alright...Well, while you were gone, I went ahead and left a note for Katsumi. And don't worry, I made sure to be perfectly clear why I was missing school." he then added; of course, the actual note was far sparser than he was letting on. But then, what would he be without his honesty? He wouldn't be himself. And he didn't want to do that, even with this assumed identity he was using.

Shooting Kumi a mild grin, he then asked "So, any chance I get to see you as a sexy teacher...Please, Kumi-sensei?"

"You left her a note? Why would she expect a note from you? And how did you leave the note? Where did you leave the note?" She frowned and shook her head. "You don't need to give her any excuses until you get back. The two of you aren't that close yet. She won't suspect anything. And if she does, she doesn't really know where you live, so it shouldn't be a problem."

Kumi knew that he was kidding about the favor imbalance between his brother and himself. Still, it earned him a rather bland stare. As did his begging for a sexy teacher version of her current appearance. "Charming as ever," she said, dully. "Listen, I'm not going to indulge your weird fantasies. I won't change until I need to be close to her. If you're a good boy and come back earlier than you thought, maybe you'll catch me while I'm still in teacher mode," she said.

Hopefully he'd hurry back. Kumi wasn't used to playing bodyguard, and Njord wasn't really known for punctuality when a reward wasn't in place unless there was a battle on the line. She doubted her new form would provide a good enough sense of motivation, though. Then again, if she remembered, Connie liked to chase anything in a skirt, so it might very well work for him. He'd always struck out with her, so maybe it could be a last resort for Njord. Then again, he'd probably thought of it already.

"Anyway, I will watch Katsumi while she's at school and at the shrine. If you can keep this barrier in place, her home will be safe at all times. The dogs can watch her at the shrine and as she goes to and from school. I'll do my best to ensure that she practices with her bow every day this week to build up her spiritual powers faster, but I need you to hurry. Please come back soon. And be safe..." After all, he was her friend. She worried now and then.

Back
Top Bottom