Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Oh, Gods...(Candira and Razgriz)

"Awesome. No need to rush; if you end up hitting a snag, it's no big deal. You're the ones doing me a favor, something I really appreciate." he replied with a grin, adding, "But hey, I need to get going. Thanks again, everyone!"

As he went towards the dojo, he heard Ami talking about his clothing. "Well, if she's half the fashion expert Katsumi said she was, I'm sure it will look fantastic. And be a heck of a lot more comfortable too."

Njord seemed to gain a stupefied expression right as he reached the door to the dojo; he supposed rumors would spread. Getting kicked down there was not something made for men to easily recover from. "Guess news travels fast, haha. But that match was a draw; we both forfeited at the same time. Everything else you heard was true though."

And with that, he opened the dojo door, "Well, here I am. Thanks for showing me around, Ami. Always good to know someone that knows the lay of the land, as I always say."

She winced a little as he told her about the rumors being true. Katsumi was a fierce opponent to begin with, but she must have been backed into a corner to use a move so devastating...And it must have hurt like hell. How he was still standing was a complete mystery to her.

"Oh, wow...Listen, Katsumi is my friend, and I like you too," she said, trying to sound casual, despite the very rapid beating of her heart and the blush that was once again rising in color. "I don't want either of you to get hurt, so please, try to be careful. Power isn't everything in fighting, right? Maybe try to out-think her next time? She'd probably respect you a lot more as a fighter."

With that, the little genius excused herself and ran off, not really giving the strange man time to answer her. It wasn't often that she revealed her feelings like that, and she was especially worried that she'd been too forward with her feelings and maybe her advice. But if she was going to pursue Njord, she wanted to make sure that Katsumi, one of her best friends, wasn't completely at odds with him. Even if he did seem to be attracted to the girl in question instead of her.

Katsumi, however, was blissfully unaware of all of this, and was in the middle of sparring with one of the other students who'd dared to take her on. The match was ending just as Njord entered, and it ended with a spectacular flip and a triumphant Katsumi. She helped her opponent up as Sensei called the match and announced that her favorite student had won.

It seemed that her spiritual energy had grown even from the start of the school day to now. She was still incredibly vulnerable, but she was getting stronger at an impressive rate. When Njord entered, she nodded in acknowledgement and ran the first years through some training exercises sensei had set up for them--the project she had helped set up for her role in yesterday's devastation. She had also gotten permission for Njord and herself to leave a little early so they could attend the archery club meeting.

Hopefully, that would go a little better than his first day in the martial arts club...

Well that was quite bold, thought Njord; he was wondering when she was going to snap and say that out loud. He just grinned as she took off, apparently flustered with herself. "I think she likes me" he joked, knowing already that she seemed quite comfortable with him.

And with that, Njord entered the dojo just in time to see Katsumi put someone on their back. His perceptive gaze noticed the increase in spiritual presence around here; seemed that 'pushing' her that close yesterday had awoken something within. Good. She was getting stronger, but not fast enough. Still, he knew that he would have to take it slow. Didn't need her outright hating him after all.

Sensei had already explained that the two were free to go early to attend the orientation meeting for the archery club, so he went ahead and changed into his gi for some sparring action. When he came back, he noticed some of the first years were struggling to keep up with Katsumi.

Giving a slight chuckle, he tightened the belt around his uniform and said to a young male student, "Hey, you, let's spar." This one had seen Njord fight the other day, and seemed to have the color drain from his face. "Ah, come on, I'm not that bad. I don't bite...Much" he joked, taking an open stance with his broad chest facing the student directly. "Come on, I'll teach you some technique. You can use me as a punching bag if you want."

The student seemed to be a little more relaxed now and took his own stance. "Alright, let's try some combinations." he then said, holding up his left arm and adding, "Left high kick!" The young man did as such, but nearly fell over from being off-balance, Njord catching the student's ankle with surprising speed to prevent him falling over. "No, no, plant your anchor foot hard into the ground. Now..Try again. Left high kick!"

Katsumi stopped after the third time through to correct stances and show proper technique to those who were struggling. As she did, she noticed that Njord was playing punching bag for a first year who was clearly out of his league. Then again, it was nice to know that the man she'd fought against yesterday wasn't just a killing machine. He knew how to take a punch, she'd give him that. All that muscle mass was certainly serving him well in his role. Perhaps he would make a better instructor than sparring partner. It suited him, somehow.

With a shrug, she went back to running the first years through the drill sensei had prepared for them. Yes, there was harmony within the gym today. It was a good start. If only it would carry on to archery.

The session had went on without much consequence; Njord by this point had the one student already progressing through some fairly advanced moves. "Good, good, your technique is already improving." Njord complimented him after a four move string; of course, he'd managed to block all of them, but the student was already possessing much better form than he was previously.

The young man was slightly rubbing his knuckles and shins; hitting this foreigner was like punching a brick wall. "Not bad. Keep this up and you might just have a chance of hurting me, haha." Njord laughed, slapping the student on the back a littler harder than he wanted to. "Oops...Sorry about that" the Swede chuckled, noticing him cringing and rubbing his back. The student gave a bow and went over to Katsumi's group to join the other first years in the drills, Njord joining in shortly after.

Soon enough, Njord and Katsumi were both off to the archery orientation meeting, leaving the others to finish up their drills. "Hah, so much better than being stuck in class. I'm really glad this school has clubs like this." he commented, arms raised with his hands behind his head as he walked with the young woman. "You were quite the leader, Katsumi. Very impressive back there." he then said to her as an honest compliment.

It wasn't long after Njord rejoined the first years that he and Katsumi were released to go to archery. After changing back into their uniforms the two were off. Already things were going much better than they had ever gone between the two of them. The brunette smiled as he complimented her. "Really? Thank you. I noticed you working with that first year, too. He improved quite a bit with your help. I think you'd make a great instructor some day." She smiled and continued walking toward the archery range. Already a group was gathering around a very serious looking man.

"This is Otame sensei. He sponsors the archery club and teaches technique. Our club mostly does competitions, but during the culture fests we also do tricks and demonstrations. It usually draws a pretty big crowd," she said, as they joined the crowd, Njord standing a little taller than most students there.

"I think this will suit you. It's a fun club, and it's more physical than class. I does require some concentration, though."

"Appreciate it. Teaching people is something I think a lot would benefit from if they gave it a chance." he replied; although, if she knew what kind of experience he really had, teaching someone basic technique in martial arts would seem insignificant. "Concentration I can do...So long as it's something that interests me".

Soon enough, they arrived at the archery dojo, where an elderly man in kyudo robes was standing in the middle of the dojo hall surrounded by his students. Wait a minute...That wasn't Otame the homeroom teacher.

"Welcome students, to the Archery Club. I am Mister Otame, and I will be your guide and instructor during the practice sessions here." he started, continuing, "To learn archery is to learn the importance of giving oneself completely to the bow, to never be disillusioned by just hitting the target. Technique is paramount. If your technique is good, hitting the target will naturally result. This is a truth that many do not realize, and think that they must hit the target regardless of form."

Well now, this is one that made sense, thought Njord; there was a certain oneness in any combat-related art, to any weapon. Technique and skill were absolutely essential, but not always interconnected. Even though his way of speaking was a bit strange, Njord understood the message he was trying to convey.

"Now today, the newer students to this dojo will be fitted for robes before we begin, though I see that a few of us might need to have some custom ones ordered." he then spoke again, nodding almost directly at Njord himself. "Might I ask your name, young man?" Otame-sensei asked to which Njord replied, "I am Njord".

"Well then, Njord, have you ever used a bow before?" the teacher asked, making Njord smirk. "If only you knew" he thought to himself, replying aloud "I have a fair amount of experience with it, yes. I've used a bow since I was quite young, when I would hunt in Sweden. My father had forsaken rifles, teaching me the honor of hunting prey and the skills it took to wield such a weapon."

As Otame sensei gave his opening address, Katsumi smiled. This was the third and final time she would hear it, and warm feelings of nostalgia washed over her. Senior year was a trying time for a lot of students, but Katsumi always found peace in her practice here. And she was very good with technique.

She nodded as he said things about fittings and ordering custom robes for Njord. Somehow, she couldn't imagine him in traditional Japanese clothes. But who knew? Maybe he'd turn out like Tom Cruise in the Last Samurai and wear them well. She shrugged, already knowing her measurements because of her previous involvements. It wouldn't take long for her to get what she needed here. Though she had grown a bit since last year, Yuki always liked her friends to stay on top of their measurements--never knew when you might need them according to her.

To be fair, it was true, and ultimately good advice to follow. As Njord shared his experience with the bow, Katsumi's suspicions about him being a hunter were confirmed. It seemed like he would fit in just fine here. It was kind of difficult to be boisterous and flamboyant when you were holding a bow and arrow.

"Well then, I'm sure you'll do just fine." Otame-sensei stated, adding, "Now, let's get started. For the newcomers, we shall use the practice bows to help you learn the technique after the fitting. And...Oh confound it, where is that boy?" Otame-sensei asked, looking around; just then, a young and lean built student could be seen rushing into the dojo hall, breathing rather hard coming to brace himself on the doorframe as the slab slid open. "Aha...Made it." he gasped, to which Otame-sensei just crossed his arms and said "Barely, Yaru."

The boy just chuckled nervously, rubbing a hand behind his head and ruffling the thick brown mop atop it, "Sorry, Otame-sensei..." Before long, he had dashed off to the changing room. Otame-sensei heaved a sigh, "Oh vey, that boy...For those who don't know, that is my assistant Yaru. He will be helping the advanced students with their target practice and making sure the bows are up to standard. So when he comes back out, all advanced students please follow him to the target range."

And just like that, Yaru reappeared in his own kyudo robes, ushering the advanced students towards the target range to refresh them on the proper sequence of events leading up to the actual firing of the bow. Yaru was one of this school's best archers, and now volunteered as a guide helping to reinforce the 'sharei' aspects of archery competitions, as well as help them brush up on long distance shots.

"Alright everyone, today we're going to practice longer distance shooting. All of you here are already veterans and pros at this, so I doubt there's much you'll need me to do other than give you pointers in technique. The target distance is about sixty meters, so remember to aim just a little bit higher than normal." He then looked to three of their best shooters, "Youga, Katsumi, Tenchi...You three will go first. Show us how it's done."

Meanwhile, Njord and the other 'beginners' were being taken to the fitting room. They re-emerged to find the others in kyudo robes, but Njord would have to wait for his. In the mean-time, they were given rubber bows designed to replicate the feel of the actual bows they would use in competition and throughout their time here at this club. "Rubber..." Njord mumbled, giving the string a test pull, "The draw is far too light, even for a practice bow."

Otame-sensei heard this and walked over, "That is the same draw weight used with the bamboo bows. If I might ask, what type did you use in Sweden?" Njord grinned, "Recurve and Welsh longbow. Both carved out of yew, backed by sinew and nocked in horn." The teacher then asked, "Did you and your father carve those bows?" Njord shook his head, "He already had his. He helped me carve my own, taught me everything he knew about how to make them."

Katsumi had her own robes and bow. She was one of the best archers on the team, but she rarely had time to get in as much practice as some of the other upperclassmen who had bested her. Still, she was a good shot, and she always got good marks in tournaments for the more ceremonial aspects of archery. She reviewed with the others and chatted with Yaru and the others about technique and upcoming competitions. When the juniors emerged, she and the other advanced archers went to change.

In the locker room, the other senior girls were all talking about the most obvious newcomer.

"Oh my God! Did you see how big his arms are?"

"He must be made out of muscle. I've never seen a uniform work so hard!"

"God, what I wouldn't give to see it just give out on him."

"Did you hear he was in a fight with Katsumi? I heard she pretty much killed any chances he had of having kids."

"I dunno, he seems fine for a guy who supposedly lost his manhood."

Katsumi shook her head. "You guys, he literally asked me to hit him where it would hurt. And he was limping this morning. I wouldn't try anything for a few days."

"Jeez, Katsumi. Way to ruin it for the rest of us. He's so hot...but wait...I heard you lost. Is that true?"

"The fight ended in a draw," Katsumi said, tying her robes closed. "Truth be told, though, he had the advantage. Kicking him was like trying to bring down a brick wall." She shook her head and touched her bruised skin through her robes. "Anyway, if you think he's so hot, just talk to him. He's a little too noisy for me." Among other things.

"You think so? I wonder if he'd be into me..."

Katsumi rolled her eyes and then exited the locker room, her own bow in hand, ready for practice. Her head was clear here. No voices clouded her mind. Her focus was pure, even as Otame sensei and Njord spoke about his bow. Her yumi was ready for her and she took the time to make sure it was properly strung and ready to shoot. Next, she put on her mitsugake, making sure to test the soft thumb. She adjusted her muneate and then stood up to begin. She took the bow into her left hand, stepping up to the shai, facing the kamiza and spread her feet apart until the distance was equal to her yazuka. She formed her body so that the balance so that her back was straight. Next, she readied the bow, gripping the string with her right hand, adjusting her left hand's grip, and turning her head to face the target. Taking a deep breath, she lifted the bow to aim her first arrow. Finally she began the process of drawing the bow. When it was fully drawn, she released it, holding her position as the arrow pierced the target. After a moment, she lowered the bow only to be met with some applause by three of the younger classmen--two boys and a girl.

As Katsumi and the others went to the changing rooms, Otame-sensei took his time to let the younger students get the feel of the bow itself. The asymmetry of its design was kind of off-putting; one might think that the longer upper limb would cause it to be imbalanced. But as soon as they let it rest in their hands, they could feel how well it was made. Most were just surprised at the size of it; with Njord's impressive height, the strung bow stood near to the top of his head, maybe an inch or two taller. And that was saying something.

"Sensei, why does the bow look like this? It seems...uneven" asked a brown-haired young man, to which Otame replied, "There are many theories on it, and honestly, even I do not know the answer. All I know is that this design has been around for centuries, and is still practiced to this day. Maybe in time, we will be able to discern why our ancestors made our yumi this way." Njord had pondered this himself; but then, did it matter? It worked.

"I think I'd like to meet one of the bow-makers. Learn something new. The design is marvelous." Njord then commented, something that made Otame-sensei smile. "You'll likely get your chance; every student is encouraged to purchase their own yumi at some point. Alright, let's have everyone handle the practice bow. The bamboo will feel slightly different, and likely be lighter in the hands, but the mechanics are the same." He led the small group through stringing the bow; some of the students had some trouble, as they were trying to use their knee and bend it on the ground so as to place the loop in the lower nock. It seemed like a good technique, and Sensei explained why it was done this way. Even to how the actual knots were to be aligned to keep the yumi in balance. But it seemed a troublesome methodology.

It was because of this that he used his own method, with some modifications. After making sure the upper knot - or 'ura-hazu' as Sensei called it - was aligned with the length of the yumi, he placed the upper limb behind his left thigh so that it rested on his left shin, keeping the string taut. He then reached behind him and gently pulled the lower limb down, placing the tzuru in the motohazu and gently relieving the pressure before withdrawing his leg and righting the bow in his grasp.

Some students were looking at him funny. But he then noticed even Sensei was giving him an odd stare; had he done something wrong?

"I've never seen a student string a bow that way before." said Otame, to which Njord grinned and replied, "It's the same way I string a Welsh longbow...Though I'm guessing my size made things a little easier, haha." Sensei just chuckled, "It is all well and good. Just be sure that your knots are aligned. Even if these are practice bows, you will find the bamboo yumi much more responsive if there is imbalance in your stringing." He then walked over and inspected Njord's work, nodding and affirming with, "But based on what I can see, you should be just fine."

After that was done, he led them through the art of the draw. taking his place at the front. "But now that you've had a feel for it, I always make it a point to have us watch the user. And if I'm not mistaken, and if I know Yaru, he will have some of our best perform long distance shooting." He then directed their attention towards the advanced students, watching as Katsumi had just finished setting herself up. They watched each seamless movement, like it was so natural for her. There was an eerie fluidity to it all, even as she pulled the bow and held it taut; each student just watched in awe as she demonstrated such poise. Njord too watched, his keen eyes taking in every movement, every muscle twitch, more detail than most might give him credit for noticing. And then the arrow flew, nailing the target dead center. He joined some of the others in their applause

He then had them watch two others take their own shots, their techniques very much to Katsumi's as they let their arrows go down range. They too hit the targets with impressive precision. Sensei then explained that there was a form to tournament, something that they would see the seniors practicing more and more as the year went on

Archery went on, the juniors continuing to learn about technique and the draw of the bow, as well as an introduction to the 'soft grip'. Sensei lectured that many cases of the yumi twisting was because the person's left hand grip was too strong. He tried not to be too pointed, but Sensei was concerned about Njord; his experience with bows had been more about livelihood and with materials that did not respond as sensitively as bamboo. He worried that if he did purchase his own, its lifespan might not be as long as someone's as Katsumi's. At the end, they were walked through unstringing the yumi and proper storage.

Soon enough, practice was over and the students allowed to depart; the meetings would not be this long in the future, as it would become repetition to reinforce technique, as well as go through the tournament roster and have try-outs for the team.

"Archery should be fun" Njord said to Katsumi as they made their way out of the school together, a grin present on his face; it was like nothing could make it leave. "Better watch out though; I might just show you up if you're not careful." he then added, more as a playful jab than a serious threat to dethrone her, as he knew quite well she held no such self-absorbed delusions.

Katsumi watched the other seniors take their shots, pleased with the way the team was shaping up. It seemed that no one had really let their skills diminish over the last break. She smiled as she continued to practice her movements and aim. Before long, she had a near perfect combination. The other seniors were getting closer as well. But the end of practice was nigh. She changed out of her robes with the others and safely stored her bow.

As Njord caught up with her, she chuckled. "Well, I bet you'll give me a run for my money. I saw the way you strung your bow. You seem to have a great deal of talent for survival in general, let alone competition," she said, shaking her head. "I think archery is fun, though. I like the fluid motions and the ceremony of it all. There's something that's so soothing, but also so....how should I put it...it makes me proud to be good at it, you know?" She shrugged and swung her bag over her shoulder. "So, do you think you'll stick with it? Or is it not quite your cup of tea?"

Njord chuckled, "Oh, so I'm a wildman now, am I?" He knew that wasn't what she meant in the slightest, but by this point it was fairly obvious that he would find any excuse to crack a joke. "Appreciate the compliment; you're a fine shot yourself. if I didn't know any better, I'd say you were trying to flatter me."

Her question was a good one though; he did like showing off, and though Katsumi might not know it, this was especially true when it came to weapon technique. Plus, it would allow him to keep an eye on her if they were in the same club. Even more so if he was able to get matched in the same team as her.

"Might take me some time to get the finer points, but I can definitely see myself there. Heck, I might even be able to teach you a thing or two if you're willing." was his answer, that silly grin less pronounced but still present.

The odd duo then reached the front of the school, where that crimson beast of his sat; its surface shined brilliantly, even in the waning sunlight. He seemed to all of a sudden just bound to it, hoping into the seat with a strange sense of fervent joy. A quick kick, and the motor roared to life. "Hey, I know we got off to a rough start! But it's a little later than usual, isn't it?! How about a ride home?!" he then offered loudly over the engine noise, giving a playful wink and adding, "I'll be on my best behavior! Promise!"

She raised a well-shaped brow at his comment about being a wild man. It wasn't that she was annoyed, but it really wasn't that funny. Did he see himself as a wild man? What a card that fellow was. Anything for a joke--even a terribly awkward stretch. She shook her head a little and let her eyebrow lower a bit. Well, she could be a good sport about it. "Well, you have a talent. You Tarzan, you strong," she teased.

She did listen as he talked about the learning the finer points. It had taken her at least a year of intense practice to get everything down, and most of her sophomore year had been spent refining it. She had worked hard to get where she was--none of this came naturally to anyone, but she had picked it up fairly quickly, all things considered. She was no master, but she was pretty good.

Njord, on the other hand, would probably pick it up quickly. If the fight with him had been any indication, he was far more graceful than his hulking figure really gave away. "I think you'll pick up on it fairly quickly. I get the impression that you learn well just from watching, let alone doing."

When the reached the front gate, he offered her a ride home and she thought about last time and his behavior. Instantly, she was bummed out. Still, the bus wasn't due for another ten minutes, and she was a little behind on her shrine chores. And he had promised to behave...

"Define your best behavior," she said, crossing her arms and eying him suspiciously.

Njord just grinned at her joke; now that was more like it. Being disciplined was all well and good, but there was a benefit to laughter and light-heartedness.

In truth, he could probably master it faster than most people would even have the capacity to believe; though granted there was more to him than he was letting on. Something that only a select few so far had any inkling about, and none of them could say for certain.

When she questioned his motives, he just snickered. "You're a smart girl, you know that? But I'll be honest: No bad jokes, no inappropriate comments, nothing like the first time. Just drop you off and I'll be on my way." He then held up the helmet, asking again, "So, what do you say?"

Behind them, another student was coming, adjusting his glasses before catching sight of Katsumi; his mousy hair was tussled, a lithe hand coming up to try and fix it. Maybe now he could try to catch her, see if he could work up the nerve to talk to her. She seemed to be alone...But what was that sound? Getting closer, he saw standing next to Njord and that blasted motorcycle of his. He had just finished an intense study session, and this is what he got to witness.

Fantastic.

His jaw clenched and his pulse quickened as he hid behind one of the gate's support columns; why did she even bother with that creep? All he did was make fun of her, and torment the first day he got here. The brute had no shame and no respect! He could see his chances of catching her eye dwindling each day that loud-mouthed braggart attended school.

Katsumi looked at him and then his helmet rather dubiously. He was nothing if not a man of his word, and he clearly saw that she was onto him. Instantly her father's face popped into her head and she knew that if she agreed and her father found out, he would be so disappointed in her. But she could pretty easily justify catching a ride with the giant.

"I suppose...but is it out of your way?" She asked. It wasn't really clear where he lived, but this was the second time he'd offered her a ride. He was being nice, but she didn't want to take advantage of him. After all, they weren't really close. "If you're sure it's no trouble, then yes, please."

Katsumi remained blissfully unaware of her admirer and his growing hatred for Njord. Had the giant kept up his mischief and his attempts to kill her with martial arts, she probably would have sided with the kid in question. But Njord was slowly redeeming himself and worming his way into her good graces, whether Katsumi realized it or not.

"Do I look like the kind of guy who would offer anything if it was too much trouble?" he asked in reply; though after a pensive look wrinkled his features, he then added with a grin, "Actually...Don't answer that, hahaha." Truth be told, this could be construed as teasing; though it was relatively mild after what happened the last time.

Once Katsumi was on, he roared the engine and took off, leaving their unknown visitor behind. Who was currently fuming that Katsumi had accepted his offer. Ugh, what did she see in him? "You jerk...Just because you have big muscles and a motorcycle, you think you're king of the world. Katsumi might think you're cool, but I know your type: Womanizer, degenerate." the young man muttered, making himself madder and madder. But he then took a deep breath and steadied his thoughts.

"But that's OK, you can enjoy your victories for now. I'll make Katsumi notice me, especially once I get rid of you." he then added; there was no way he was who he said he was. Someone could have forged his paperwork, even if there was no plausible reason for it. And now he felt even more motivation than before to discover the truth.

Regardless of this, Njord dropped off Katsumi at her house, keeping his promise to behave intact. "Well, until tomorrow, Katsumi! See you in Phys. Ed.!" he then shouted as he roared off and away, disappearing down the street as his tires screeched on the pavement. Little did she know that he would be returning later tonight, and that quite the surprise awaited her at the shrine.

She paused at his answer, not really sure what to do with it. His pensive look and comment only further confused her. It just went straight over her head. With a shrug, the girl got on the bike behind him, letting him take her home one more time. She wasn't sure she wanted to make a habit of it, but it was nice to not have to wait for the bus and worry about safety. To his credit, he had kept his word. "Well, thank you for the ride. I'll see you tomorrow." She waved as he rode off and then headed inside for a quick change and snack before her shrine chores. Her mother was up at the shrine and her father wasn't home yet, so she took a little time for herself.

A few moments later, her dark hair was in a braid, she was dressed in shrine robes, and was finishing some apple wedges. When she finally reached the top of the stairs at the shrine, she got the feeling that something was up. Something was definitely different. But what was it?

As Katsumi made her way to the shrine to perform her duties, Njord was already parking in the same alley he'd been using these past few days. And before long, he was back on top of her house, his aura spread out as the warning barrier. He really wished he could extend it farther; the edge didn't go out far enough past the shrine to give her total encompassing protection. Last night was proof enough of that.

However, tonight would be QUITE different compared to anything else seen before. The hounds that Njord had called to save Katsumi before were still roaming, except now their 'presence' would be quite visible to even those with a weak perception of the spiritual. These hulking beasts patrolled around the grounds, serving as the watchdogs when Njord would be gone.

And when she came back, they would be unaware that she could see them. One of them growled as she approached, signaling the other two to her arrival. The three dogs then encircled her, their noses attempting to sniff out any 'unwanted guests', as they drew closer and closer. Njord saw this and just wondered what would happen; he had a feeling they wouldn't attack, but even still...These dogs could be unpredictable. And despite his skill in 'training', there were some instincts that were just plain hard-wired.

The growling dogs were enormous, but as Katsumi took them in, she got the feeling that they weren't dangerous, just on guard. The shrine maiden tilted her head a bit, curious as to where these dogs had come from and why they were putting off such a strong aura. Something was otherworldly about them. That, plus their menacing appearance would have, and probably should have, scared anyone else away.

When the came closer, sniffing at her as the circled her, Katsumi just watched, following one with her eyes, slowly turning with them. Finally, they seemed to stop moving and she took the opportunity to smile at them, unable to help herself. She smiled and leaned down a little, making clear contact with the dog. "Hello, there. Where did you come from?" she asked, her voice only a little sweeter than normal. She cautiously held her hand out to the hound before her and waited for him to sniff her and figure out if he wanted to trust her.

Njord just watched on as Katsumi started to try and...get friendly...with the dogs of all things. "Oh boy...This could go wrong so many different ways" the Swede muttered under his breath, even if Katsumi couldn't see or hear him. If they attacked, he'd have to put them down...And he was really hoping not to.

The dog directly at Katsumi's front paused as she faced it directly, its nose giving that familiar set of short huffs as it assessed her a threat or friendly, while taking in the 'scent' of her own aura. The other two were off to Katsumi's left and right a little ways, as if on watch to ensure that they wouldn't be ambushed.

Then Njord saw it do something completely unexpected: It leaped forward and pinned Katsumi down, but not to attack. No, the crazy thing started licking her face in obvious, like a newborn puppy would, even giving out those cute whimpers of happiness. The others quickly joined in, the hot but odorless breath washing over her face as they playfully assaulted her.

"What in the world...." Njord commented, his head tilting as he tried to make sense of what he was seeing; for as long as he'd been doing this, he thought he saw everything. But nope, now the universe decided to remind him that he still had a long ways to go. "Well...You just surprise me more and more, Katsumi. Never seen them act like that towards anyone...Not even me" he then smirked, clearly bemused by their reactions to her presence.

Once enough was enough, the three dogs backed off and sat of their own accord, their long tails wagging furiously as they waited for her to stand up.

Suddenly, she was on the ground with one heavy dog pinning her down, attempting to lick every inch of her face. She laughed and squirmed as the other two joined in, trying to push their heads away. After a bit, the big puppies settled down, their powerful tails wagging at full speed. She chuckled and sat up, watching all three with them.

"Aww, you're so cute!" She reached out and let all of them, hugging their neck. "I love you," she cooed, scratching on dog's ears. One on the other side nuzzled into her side and her heart melted. The normally serious young woman laughed and played with the dogs, petting them and rubbing bellies for what was probably, too long. "Aww, I don't want to leave the love fest, cuties, but I need to go to work." Even as she said it, her resolve waivered. She loved animals, and these big brutes were no exception.

"I hope we get to play again soon!" She said with a bright smile. Still, she made no move to leave. "Really gonna go," she said, still as a statue. "Yup. I'm going."

Those big brown eyes just wouldn't let her go.

The three of them certainly seemed to love the attention. Njord had a hand over his mouth, trying not to bust an artery from laughing. To see someone like Katsumi just melt down and laugh like that...It was contagious. Oh, if only he could lord this over her. But no, he couldn't. Not without risking just where he was and what he was doing every night.

Still, the humor of the situation would stick with him, and that was enough. Maybe when he would be able to reveal who he really was, he could tease her about this moment.

The dogs started to whimper as she stated that she couldn't play anymore; if there was ever a sad puppy dog look, these three were giving it to her. And hard. Njord finally calmed down enough to mutter, "As funny as that was to watch, I'm afraid we all have a job to do." Njord then put his pinkies in his mouth and gave a high-pitched whistle, inaudible to Katsumi, but clear as crystal to the hounds. The stiffened noticeably as they heard the sound, and knew who it was that gave the order. Letting out a series of barks, they immediately dispersed back into the woods to resume patrols, and left the young shrine maiden to her duties.

If Katsumi could have stayed and played with the dogs all day, she probably would have. People didn't often realize how much she loved animals. She was especially fond of dogs and cats--but generally anything cute and cuddly. The adorable whimpering and sad eyes were just too much to resist, and just when she was about to play with them again, their ears perked up as though they heard something in the distance. They stiffened, barked, and then ran off, as though they were busy with chores of their own. Frowning, she tilted her head.

"Um? Bye..." she said quietly, watching the dogs vanish into the woods. She sighed and then fixed her hair, straightening her robes before she headed up to the shrine to help her mother with their duties. As her mother dealt with tourists, Katsumi handled some cleaning, inventory, and various other problems.

Each time her duties took her outside, however, the hard-working young lady looked around, hoping to catch a glimpse of her canine friends. Before long, it was time to get cleaned up and do homework the shrine closed for the evening. On the way home, she looked around again.

"Katsumi? What is it?" her mother asked.

"Well, earlier, there were some dogs running around. I was just wondering if they were still here."

Her mother chuckled and shook her head. "I hadn't seen them around, but I suppose that doesn't mean they aren't still nearby."

Katsumi shrugged. "They were very friendly. It seemed like they were well-trained, too. I didn't notice any tags, though. I just wondered...you don't see that very often."

"Hmm...perhaps someone was on a walk in the woods again. I'll be sure to look out for them tomorrow."

Njord just sighed as the dogs went back on their patrols; while he knew it was well and good for them to get acquainted with the one they were protecting, too much distraction could turn things very sour very quickly. Even if it was funnier than any comedy to see this stern-faced girl melt while being licked and loved by three dogs that each looked like it could eat a lion for breakfast.

However, the Swede now took this time to watch as Katsumi worked the shrine; so this was what she did after school, was it? If only he could tell her just who this shrine was for...Oh, the irony of it all. But no, he was not allowed to divulge details, for obvious reasons. Still, the humor of it was just too much. "Oh, Katsumi...If only you knew." he commented, grinning widely like he'd just heard the best joke of his life.

And as she and her mother went inside, Njord just looked to the heavens, his eyes intently staring at the blankness of the dark canvas hanging over everyone. Letting out a 'Hmph' of bemusement, he just stood there, fulfilling his duty with each passing second.

By this point, Otoya had come home; his face seemed weathered and his hair was starting to muss, having worked so much overtime to get this case taken care of. Slipping his shoes off, he came into the home, locking the door behind him. Giving his beloved wife and daughter a bow, he asked, "Katsumi, Mai...How went shrine duty today? Were there a lot of visitors?"

Back
Top Bottom