Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Oh, Gods...(Candira and Razgriz)

Otoya smiled gently as his daughter reassured him that nothing was wrong; of course, he would be able to pick up when she might be lying. But she was never the type to fib like that; she was far too straightforward for things like that. "I'm just glad you're alright, Katsumi-chan." he replied, keeping it short and sweet for her.

His eyes told that feeling that he wasn't incredibly thrilled about her taking a ride from a stranger, even if he was from her school still, she had a terrific sense of judgment and he was confident she had everything in control. She was so mature for her age; while he would support her no matter what, her level of sense and dedication to her studies and duties made him that much prouder to call her his daughter.

"Of course, dear. Just make sure you take some time to wind down before starting." he said calmly, walking past her. "Come on, I'll ask your mother to make some tea to help you relax."

Katsumi knew that her father loved her and worried about her, but she was glad to know that he could trust her every now and then. When he told her to unwind first, she felt relieved. It wasn't so bad to take a break every now and then. And when she was this tired, it seemed like a treat. Today, she would just take everything slow, and then she would get a good night's sleep.

Her mother welcomed her as the two of them came inside and called out that they were home.

"Welcome home!" Came the cheerful voice from the kitchen. Her mother was still in her priestess robes from attending the shrine. She was a vision of classical Japanese beauty, with dark brown hair flowing down her back and a beautiful complexion besides. Her make up was understated and subtle, only adding to her natural beauty. Plus, she had somehow managed to retain her beautiful figure. Katsumi could only hope to be as lovely in her older years.

"Hello you, two. Katsumi, you're home a little early today. Did you not have practice?"

So she explained the story again to her mother, who's eyebrow raised at the mention of a boy. "Oh? This Njord gave you a ride home?" she asked, putting together a small snack plate to go with the tea she had started to brew. "That was nice of him. He sounds like a good person," she said, grateful to any man that helped her daughter. Of course, she wanted to ask more about this young man who had taken an interest in her daughter. She wanted to ask so much more, but all in due time.

"You said you were ill today? Hmm, perhaps you should just skip your chores today, then. You need your rest, and besides, you have notes to catch up on with your homework. I can take care of your work for today, dear. There weren't many visitors today, so it shouldn't take me very long."

"I...thank you, mom. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but I am very tired."

"I should think so! If it took you out of class, it must have been pretty rough. I know how you hate to fall behind. You just worry about your homework and leave the rest to me, sweetie."

"Yes, mother." She smiled and bowed her head gratefully. Normally she probably would have put up a little more of a fight, but both of her parents seemed worried, and she was sleepy already. With that, she started in on the fruit her mother had set out for everyone to enjoy while her mother poured the tea, casting worried glances at her husband.

Otoya sat at the table with his family, picking up a particularly plump budo and popping it into his mouth. He tried to picture this Njord character; his own experience was that men who rode motorcycles were typically of the 'wilder' variety. That, combined with him peeling his tires in front of their house, just served to make an instantly unfavorable impression of him. But then, he'd taught Katsumi to be careful around men in general, and he felt she'd taken his lessons very well.

Sometimes he got the impression she might have done too well; there was no harm in waiting though. She would find someone nice enough at her own pace, there was no need to force her. Besides, he could tell from her body language that she had little to no interest in this man whatsoever.

"Well, like your mother said, it was kind of him to offer you a ride home." Otoya finally stated with a light smile; he could the worry in his wife's beautiful hues. He then added as more of a joke than anything, "Try not to make a habit of it though; otherwise your poor mother might get the wrong impression." giving his wife a playful wink.

And with that, he stood up and finalized, "Well, I apologize, but I can't sit here too long. I have to make a case tomorrow for my client, so I'll be in my study for a short while. But leave the dishes where they are, honey; I'll take care of them in a little bit. You ladies just relax and finish up when you want to." He then gave them both a polite bow of the head and made his way upstairs.

Katsumi smiled at her father and bowed her head. "Work hard, dad." She turned her attention to her mother. She took an apple wedge and bit into it as her mother smiled and put her hand on Katsumi's forehead to check for a fever. She was a little warm, but nothing serious.

"You should take an aspirin before you start working again. Go to bed early tonight," she said. "Eat up and tell me about this boy who dropped you off. Is he a new friend?" She asked.

Katsumi shook her head, finishing the wedge. "Not really. I got dizzy on my way to the nurse's office and he helped me get there. He's not so bad, but he's got an off-putting personality. I wouldn't have come with him, but I didn't want to wait at the bus stop, and it didn't seem wise to walk home."

"I see. Be sure to thank him again," she said, wondering about the boy who was obviously interested in her daughter. What did he look like? Where was this exchange student from? Would her daughter ever like a young man? Oh, this girl...still, she was proud of her little girl.

"I will, mom. Thank you for the food and tea. You don't need to sit with me if you don't want."

"Mmm, my little girl. Take the fruit and tea to your room to study. I'll be back later to make supper. " here she kissed her daughter's head and sent her up before going to the shrine.

Katsumi listened to her mother and got to work on her assignments.

Meanwhile, in Njord's neck of the woods, a mysterious figure was waiting for him in the shadows of his dwelling. Her dark hair had electric blue streaks which drew the attention of most people no matter how she wore it--it was in a ponytail just now. Her dark brown eyes were framed with the same electric blue eyeliner, giving her a bit of an edge. She wore a black kimono with a white and blue obi, and she would have looked out of place in most places had she not been invisible to those without incredibly high spiritual awareness. Her feminine features were hidden by shadow as she waited, but when light flooded the room upon the exchange student's apartment she became visible and entirely unavoidable. She crossed her arms and stared at the man before her. Was he out of his mind? The attempt at fitting at school was laughable. Had he done absolutely NO research?

Sighing she shook her head. "Well, this is going to be an interesting mission. Did you really show up looking like that? I can't believe no one chased you out." The woman, Kumi, chuckled, wondering just what was going on in that lout's head. "I wonder if you remember what you came here to do. Did you really think that embarrassing her and drawing more attention to her was the best way to do your job? The higher ups are not amused," she went on, her voice smooth and soothing. "Perhaps you should consider cutting back? This culture is nowhere near as laid back as someone like you." She was well aware of the incident with Katsumi in the hallway, and was merely getting the smaller matters out of the way first. Scolding Njord probably could have taken back seat to the reason for the incident, but often, the man before her had a tendency to not listen to the rest after he'd heard what he wanted to hear, and she was not in the mood today.

Njord had just arrived home, still naked from the waist up and his motorcycle jacket held over his shoulder by two of his thick digits. Even if the intruder was in the shadows, he felt her presence the moment he walked to the front door. This person was lucky to be an acquaintance, else they would have to deal with him in his mindset of defending the castle...As it is said.

"At least I don't look like I belong in a one woman Japanese goth show" the man replied with a grin, adding "To be honest though, I would be lying if the thought didn't cross my mind. The women here love a man who's eye candy, you know. No harm in giving them a show, right?" Giving his arms a flex to display his physique, he hung up his jacket in the closet; though really the closet was about all there was to the place. There was a conspicuous lack of any bedding, electronics, or even any sort of decoration. It was like the place was torn out and gutted, leaving nothing behind for a comfortable residency.

As she called into doubt knowledge of his goals, he playfully frowned and replied, "You wound me, my friend. I might be too 'liberal' for the higher-ups' taste, but you know as well as anyone I always come through. Besides, the higher-ups are just sticks in the mud. Always so serious." Still, she was right in one respect: This would certainly be an interesting assignment. Especially with this Katsumi woman: She was something else.

"But, all joking aside, I know why you're really here." he then stated, his tone less than jolly as he held up his right wrist. The crack in the bracelet had gone, but those with great perception could see that it was not as structurally sound as it should have been. "This was not supposed to happen. The higher-ups need to make sure this doesn't break at all unless I need it to. If they want me to do my job, I better be prepared as much as I can."

Kumi rolled her eyes at the goth comment, letting that one slide. He knew damn well this was her uniform. She stood up straight and came to his side, completely at ease around this behemoth of a man in his half-naked state. "I fail to see how giving people a show makes you a better protector," she said, shaking her head. So did her boss. And so did the man her boss was helping.

She shook her head as he held up the chain. "They are aware of what happened, and they are not happy. It's almost as though it was tampered with. I was sent with a new chain, having watched it being forged. I took it straight from the maker and brought it here to you to avoid such a thing. B is very worried about her."

She handed Njord the bracelet, waiting to accept the old one. "We're on the lookout for threats, but it's best if you stick close to Katsumi for awhile. The best way to do that is to make her not want to slap you right across the face. I'm used to your behavior. She, on the other hand, thinks you're too old to be anywhere near her age and doesn't know you like I do."

At first, Kumi had hated Njord as well, but that was because of his...overly familiar way of talking to her. As she got to know him, though, she came to love the big guy. He was nice and funny, but it took the right kind of personality for him to bounce off of.

"Look, just...tone it down, okay? Maybe don't embarrass her so much." She shrugged and took the bracelet with the problems. She put it in a bag and stuck it in the sleeve of her kimono.

"Tampered with? Hardly...I know exactly who made it. He doesn't make rookie mistakes like letting his craft out of his sight." Njord replied to her comment, ignoring her statement about giving a show; the smith in question had enough enemies to be smart enough to keep his 'projects' hidden.

"And if B wasn't such a stickler, I could be more friendly. But last I checked, one of my objectives was to make sure she was as far removed from me as possible." the man replied, before grinning and continuing, "Besides, that's part of what makes this job less boring. Getting a rise out of her is oddly entertaining. She's so chaste, it's cute. So seeing her flustered is like honey to a fly. And if not her, I'll always find someone else...Like you, my beloved little ice queen." Of course, he COULD tone it down...But he knew how much Kumi knew him, so it was highly unlikely that he would. Well, maybe a little, but she would still get teased.

Njord said nothing as the bracelets were swapped out; he was glad that they'd had the sense to bring him another one. Didn't need someone with HIS power going loose. However, as he went to remove the damaged article, a massive pressure could be felt in the room; though thankfully someone like Kumi could tolerate this. If it were a mortal...Well, there was no real telling what could happen.

Her boss - and consequently his own - were as 'potent', if not more so, than this; additionally, what seemed to be strange black markings of an indeterminate nature materialized on his flesh. These seemed to suppress whatever energy he was exuding, and several of the strange hanging ornaments appeared to glow as soon as the bracelet was removed. He then started to put the new one on, his face contorting into something of a grimace. "For crying out loud, I thought this uniform was restrictive..." he muttered as he snapped the endlinks together, the marks disappearing and the ornaments fading as the pressure in the room lessened.

Stretching his body, he then added, "This is going to take some getting used to. Our friend does good work, I'll give him that." Crossing his arms over his chest, he then asked Kumi, "So, how are things back home? Anything I should know about?"

Kumi shrugged, not really sure what to say about it being tampered with. It was the only current theory that made sense. Njord was a master tactician, but it wasn't as though he was the only one in the world. Gods were unlimited, after all. "I don't know what's going on anymore than you do in terms of sabotage, but that's the current theory. I'm just telling you what I've heard."

When he mentioned B being a stickler for the rules...well if that wasn't the understatement of the millennium. "Look, not everything we do is fun, right? I'm just asking you to tone it down until they all accept you a little more, that's all. I'm sure B would appreciate it, too. He was not at all pleased with your little love hotel comment from before."

"I hear she's quite the martial artist, too. Maybe if you keep it up, she'll practice on you. I always felt better after wailing on you for awhile, even if I didn't make a dent," she said with a shrug. It wasn't really her business how he behaved. She was just the messenger.

The release of his powers didn't affect her--she worked for someone even more ancient and powerful, after all. This was nothing new to her body, nor was it anything to compare with her master. "Listen, I know it's uncomfortable. I have my own bracelets," she said, holding out her wrists for him to see. "Try your best to bear it, okay?"

She sighed as he asked about home. "Nothing you don't already know. Just keep watching out for Katsumi. And do something about your image, will ya? Spread some kind of misinformation. You're good at that." With a little effort, he could convince the people at school that he had some kind of a growth condition or something.

"If there's any change, they'll send me for you again. Do you have any messages for me to take back?"

That seemed fair; even if the smith was always careful, all it would take was one small slip-up and someone could have easily tampered with the device. Still, it bothered the man that it would lose its capability so easily; but then, one then he'd never really practiced was restraint. That much was evident by the way he behaved in this land, and was likely how he would continue to act for the rest of his days.

"You make a dent on me...Hah. You really are too cute sometimes, Kumi-chan" he replied, using a nickname he knew she disliked. But then, the two of them were good friends and colleagues, working towards the same goal. Still, the thought of fighting this Katsumi woman intrigued him. How would she do, he wondered. How would she react if she was beaten?

"Bear it though, huh? You make it sound so easy; I really don't know how my brother does it." he muttered, rolling his shoulders a few more times. Even if he knew why the bracelets had to be worn, it didn't mean he had to like it. And now he had to think of an excuse for his form? Why he was so large? What a drag. But, that was part of the assignment; his brother could only do so much, the rest would be up to him to maintain his cover.

When she asked about sending a message home, Njord just smiled and stated "Tell my brother to get off my case. Katsumi will be just fine under my excellent care." Of course, what he thought of as excellent often meant some bad tidings for his charge. Nothing serious...Just that he had a knack for making things difficult just for the hell of it. "And tell our smith friend to keep a better eye on his 'product'; if he's getting soft, I might have to examine everything else he made for me". he then added, a little more seriousness in his tone. He certainly didn't need his equipment malfunctioning.

He then gave her another of his classic goofball grins and finalized with, "And tell my brother I said hello and don't be such a hermit. He needs to get out into the sun more." That was really it, and he imagined her boss wouldn't find his jokes even remotely funny. But, such things were as they were.

"Now if you'll excuse me, it's time for my second shift." This of course entailed watching over Katsumi's home at night; he didn't really need to nor feel like going to sleep.

Kumi's eye twitched just a little at her nickname, but she didn't lose her cool--not like she used to. It was almost endearing now. Almost. Still, she dutifully took note of all of Njord's messages, careful to get them word for word in her gifted little mind. It would be horrible if his equipment malfunctioned. It could be a danger to him as well as his charge. And that simply would not do. She would deliver this message first. It was important to point out to the smith that the defects had not gone unnoticed. The gravity of the situation needed to be impressed upon him--he was growing out of touch with all the demand on his skill lately.

The message to his brother would come when she made her report. Of course, she wasn't entirely sure that his brother's mind would be put at ease. It would fall to her to reassure her master in some way. Which way she reassured him would be a mystery until the time came, however. Kumi nodded and then bowed her head.

"I will deliver your messages, Njord. Try not to give her nightmares," she said, smirking as she vanished into the wall, disappearing from this realm entirely.

"Duly noted" said the Swedish student with a small mock bow as his visitor departed; he really did have to get going though. It was getting late, and he was fairly certain that Katsumi would be going to bed soon. Unlike her, his need for sleep was virtually non-existent; and though he was sure her home would be defended, there was always the off-chance something could slip through. Hence the second portion of his assignment; after all, humans seemed to get many more things wrong than right.

And with that, Njord left his house once more now that this order of business was taken care; really, it was more a place for him to 'spread out' and not feel so damn confined. He couldn't visit it too often though, as he needed to stay near the young lady as much as possible. He got on his motorcycle and sped off, only taking a left instead of a right at the intersection near her address. He needed to be close, but not so close as to raise suspicion.

Leaving the vehicle abandoned in a small alleyway, he then muttered a strange word in an indecipherable tongue; the bike then vanished from visible sight as he left the spot. "Sorry boy, but it's for the best. You're too loud for both of us." he said with a grin, bolting with a seemingly uncharacteristic quickness for one his size.

He then found himself near Katsumi's house, the lights within still on; that was problematic, but wouldn't make much of an issue. He raised his left arm up and to the right before swiftly pulling it diagonally across his chest and leaping at the same time; in an instant, he soundlessly landed on the roof of the girl's home. It would be here that he would stay for the night, his gaze vigilant for encroachers; he took the chain bracelet on his hand and gave the third link from where the sword charm was attached a gentle squeeze, his physical form slowly fading from sight until it was gone.

Katsumi's father, Otoya, was in the kitchen finishing up with the dishes. He had told his wife to go to sleep once she was finished, having had to take on her daughter's duties along with her on while Katsumi finished her studies. Not that it was her fault in any way, but he couldn't help wonder what would have caused her to fall so violently ill. She took very good care of herself, aside from his paternal worry that she might be pushing too hard at times.

Once the last plate was clean and dry, he placed it into the cabinet and looked at the clock. It was late; he better head to bed so that he can be sharp. He then made his way upstairs, glad that his case file was ready to go for tomorrow; it was going to be hell, but that's why he was paid so well. He then went to his daughter's door and gave it a gentle knock, "Good night to you, Katsumi-chan. Sleep well." In case she was sleeping, he didn't open the door, but did linger for a bit. She might be sleeping or still finishing her work; if it was the latter, he'd probably just say for her to go to bed.

Katsumi was just getting ready for bed when she heard her father's knocking. She glanced at the clock and saw it was getting pretty late. Best to get to bed early. "Good night, dad. Sleep well." She smiled and pulled a night gown over her head before turning off the lights and snuggling in under the covers. What a long and bizarre day it had been. Sure, she'd gotten to rest, but she'd been very sick, so it was pretty necessary in her opinion. Her lights went out just as she fell asleep, and she felt very safe in her bed. She had no idea how safe she really was.

Otoya smiled as his daughter bid him good night, making way to his own room and the beautiful woman that shared it with him. Like his beloved, he wondered who that boy was; with the little stunt he pulled right in front of his own house, Otoya had a feeling this man was more the 'bad-boy' type. But he knew Katsumi was smart and capable, and that thought gave him solace enough as he changed into his nightwear and slipped into bed. Unaware that the man in question currently stood atop their home on watch duty.

The night came and went without event; Njord had hardly even blinked, his presence and stature rigid in concentration during the entirety of it all. Just like he suspected, there were more than a few types of warding on this house; whoever did it had impressive skill, that much was certain. Nothing too malicious approached the house, he had to call in some acquaintances to help with since he couldn't leave his post.

And as the sun rose, nothing was better or worse than it was yesterday. Njord still stood, bright and alert as ever, on the roof of Katsumi's home. He was thankful he knew the art of concealment; it would be very awkward to explain why one of her classmates was standing there the whole night. But once everyone in the homestead was awake, he quickly left just as much as when he arrived to get his motorcycle ready. After all, he was Njord Skallagrim, classmate of Katsumi Sango. And he couldn't afford to be *too* late to class.

The different wards on the house had been set up long ago by Katsumi's relatives and ancestors. Each generation the various charms and enchantments were strengthened and renewed by those in charge of the shrine. Katsumi had aided in the last renewal, her own spiritual power considerable, though she only knew it as focus and her own inner energies.

Her mother was waiting up for Otoya, her husband. Shizuku Sango was a strong woman and she had high hopes for her daughter. She had tried her best to raise a little lady, but she'd gotten a tomboy instead. Still, the girl was dedicated to her studies and did her best to behave like a proper young lady, and that had made her mother proud. It gave her a small heart attack to think that she had ridden home with a boy on a motor cycle. Then again, she had always liked the thrill of a bike ride. It was a guilty pleasure she hadn't indulged in since Otoya had been into them years back.

She kept her mouth shut, though. The last thing her husband needed was her imagination feeding his--he worried about their daughter enough as it was. About all of them really. It was one of his finer qualities. She smiled and snuggled up to him when he came to bed with her, comforted by his presence and the fact that she was far calmer than her spouse.

When Katsumi woke up the next morning, she felt as though something was different, but that feeling went away as her parents started to get ready for the day. She combed her hair and pulled it back into a ponytail, her dark bangs framing her face nicely. Then came the uniform and she was pretty much ready for the day. A quick bathroom ritual later, she was downstairs, eating breakfast as usual. It was a nice morning, and her parents had worked together on the meal this morning.

She took the time to appreciate how nicely her parents worked together and complimented each other. Maybe someday she could find this kind of balance and harmony with a man. She doubted she'd find it at this age, though. Maybe a nice guy to date, but she doubted anything would be substantial enough to keep her interest. Little did she know who was interested.

She bade goodbye to her parents, caught her usual bus to school, and before she knew it, she was in homeroom, talking with her friends, having completely forgotten about the one thing that had drastically changed about her environment.

Njord didn't nearly as much of a morning ritual as Katsumi did; with him, it was just go. No getting up, no getting ready...Just throw on his suit jacket and ride. And despite the conditions in which he lived, it would be very curious to many why he had no real evidence of squalor on him. Sure, he didn't look like the richest kid on the block, but he had nothing to indicate grinding poverty either.

But those thoughts were far from his mind as he rode to class, his bike roaring down the streets of the early morning and likely causing some late risers to groan angrily from the comfort of their beds and homes. And despite the fact that he was running late, he didn't really seem like he was in too much of a hurry; in fact, he couldn't look more relaxed if he tried.

And this was evidenced as he strolled upstairs to go to his homeroom, just minutes before class was scheduled to start. Smoothing out a few wrinkles in his suit, he bade some of the other students good morning in a weirdly cheery voice for someone of his 'demeanor'; this made some students suspicious, wondering what he might try to pull today.

"Yo, Katsumi. You look much better today...Better than that heaving mess I had to half-drag to the nurse's office, hahaha". Njord then said to Katsumi in greeting, though how much of a greeting this was no one could really say. Sitting down and placing his feet on his desk, he leaned back and looked at her from an upside-down point of view, "I bet you slept like a rock, eh?"

Katsumi turned upon hearing her name--it was odd that he was being so familiar with her, but she and the other students saw it more as a carefree Westerner thing and tried to excuse it. When she saw who it was she figured she'd better settle in for a hell of a day. It was nice of him to notice that she looked better, but the part about her being a heaving mess earned him a rather bland stare from Katsumi and her friends. A few of them had been thinking he might have had a chance...but then there was that mouth of his.

"Gee...thanks?" she rolled her eyes and turned to her friends once more when she noticed that he was looking at her upside down, so she gave him more of her attention because it was rude to ignore him. And it was probably just his way of trying to lighten the mood, right? It must be nice to have no semblance of pride, she thought.

"I slept well. Thank you for your help yesterday," she said, bowing her head a little. It never hurt to be polite. Unless you wanted to smack someone across the face. But she wasn't quite at that level yet. Just mildly irritated. Still, the gratitude was real. If it hadn't been for him, who knew what would have happened to her? Thankfully whatever it had been passed, but it could have gotten a lot worse.

"I hope today goes better for you when sensei arrives," she said, knowing that the teacher was just looking for an excuse to jettison the new guy. There was a vein in his forehead that throbbed whenever he cast his gaze at the Norwegian. He was still under the impression that Njord was a fully grown man, and so was about half of the class.

She smiled and then turned back to her friends, giving Yumi back her notes gratefully, and talking about what had happened at practice yesterday.

Njord just chuckled at her suggestion; he really managed to get that far under his skin in less than a day? These people were even easier to rile than he had anticipated. Still, he would play the good student...For now, at least. There was always opportunity for fun, and he really didn't want to have another of his brother's 'associates' pay him a visit. It would be a real drag if he had to deal with that constantly.

As Katsumi gave him her wishes for better proceedings, she would get another characteristic response from the Swede. "I guess we'll see, won't we?" Njord replied simply with a smile; it was fairly obvious he was ready for whatever the professor was ready to throw at him. It had hardly been a day and he was on the teacher's blacklist...This was awesome.

Rather content with his 'achievement', he then closed his eyes and relaxed. One of the other students -a young man with neatly trimmed reddish-brown hair and black eyes - approached Njord and seemed to just stare. The Swede opened one eye and saw this, asking "Can I help you?" The student replied with "No...Just trying to figure you out. You don't really seem like you belong here." Njord just laughed, "Yeah, I seem to give that impression to people. But ask yourself this...If I was not a student, why would I be here? Do you REALLY believe, if I were a Swedish adult, would want to sit through a boring lecture when he could be partying? Or holding down a job?"

The student seemed a little puzzled but even more so satisfied with this answer. "Fair enough...But you really don't look like a student." Njord just grinned, "Blame my pituitary." "Gigantism?" asked the student, to which Njord simply said, "That's the one." The Swede then held out his hand, which seemed like it would cover the student's far-smaller one. "Name's Njord, but you probably knew that already." The student just smiled and returned the gesture, "You can call me Ayumu."

Katusmi chatted with her friends a little longer, but soon, she sat down. It didn't take much effort at all to overhear Njord's conversation with Ayumu. She supposed the gigantism certainly explained the odd appearance of her new classmate. Perhaps her doubts were unfounded after all. He had a condition or something. And it made sense that he wouldn't want to sit through class. He probably wouldn't go through this much trouble if he were just a pervert. It made an awful lot of sense--after all, could a grown man really be so immature? And what did she know about Sweden? Not a great deal.

When the teacher arrived, he was smiling, though it seemed forced, to say the least. When he saw Njord, the vein in his head throbbed. Of course, he said nothing because he was trying to be a professional.

"Good morning, class," he said, trying to not let the Swede's presence unnerve him so much. He took attendance and then launched immediately into the lesson for the day, doing his damnedest to ignore the general area Njord was in.

Katsumi took her notes, aware of the teacher's rather obvious attempts at ignoring the new student. That didn't really seem right or fair, but she supposed if it meant there would be no melt-downs, it was probably for the best. Still, she got the feeling that the day would not go smoothly for long. At least one person was going to take something the wrong way and it would probably spiral out of control.

Despite knowing that she was the most likely target for all of this chaos, Katsumi was surprisingly calm. She had decided to try and just take whatever came her way in stride. There would certainly be a bit of a learning curve because she was so straight-laced, but she could be witty if she wanted to, damn it. She could throw it all right back at him if she really wanted to.

All she needed was practice.

And a thicker skin.

Njord didn't miss for a second the aggravation Mr. Otame felt; he just shot the teacher a friendly grin and laid back in his seat. "Morning, Teach" he replied in lieu of the collective "Good Morning, Professor". A remark that went unreplied to, something Njord did not find surprising. Many students in the class did not find it odd that the professor did little to acknowledge Njord.

And as before, the poor students in the first and second seats behind him were stuck with looking at the giant's broad shoulders instead of the white board. Something that he heard grumbling over as the lesson went on; why they didn't voice this concern directly to the teacher he did not know. But then, maybe most people weren't quite as forward as he was. He then looked around and noticed a girl in the back right-hand corner, who had to try and shield her eyes from the angle of the incoming light. Must be a pain in the ass if they're actually interested in this snooze-fest, he mused.

Still, he would take Kumi's advice into consideration and show some good faith. In his own way, of course. "Hey, Teach, I got a question" he then blurted out right as he was discussing matrix multiplication. The marker stopped its writing, and if one paid REAL close attention, they could see that he was pressing just a little harder in an attempt to stead himself. Inhaling deeply, Mr. Otame turned and asked, "Yes, Mr. Skallagrim?" Njord then jabbed his thumb over his shoulder, "I got a feeling my...stature...isn't letting some students enjoy this invigorating lesson. Mind if I switch with someone in the back row?"

Mr. Otame then smiled a little bit, thinking he had him now, "And why should I grant your request?" Njord just shrugged and replied, "Maybe if you paid attention, you'd see that someone" he then nodded his head in the direction of the girl practically being blinded, "can't exactly concentrate. At least with this, you're killing three birds with one Swedish boulder, hahaha." This made the teacher pause a little; well, now he felt a little silly. At least his intentions were honest...In this case, at least.

Giving a small sigh, he replied without missing a beat, "Very well. Young lady, please exchange seats with Mr. Skallagrim".

The girl blushed as she switched places with Njord, but she appeared to be relieved that she wouldn't have to crane her neck now. She quietly thanked the giant and took her place next to Katsumi, who was just as surprised about this situation as everyone else. Still, it was nice of the Swede to do what was necessary for the girl. She sent a smile back to him and then returned her attention to the lecture.

Sensei seemed to calm down quite a bit regarding Njord, even if he was still a bit resistant to the young man. His strange appearance was neatly explained by natural causes, and it seemed silly to judge him for his issues. Still, the appearance did give some pause. It would take the teacher some time to really trust the Swede, but everyone seemed to be on board with the whole normal appearance bit.

When classes were finally over for the day, it was time for club practice--and that meant it was time for Katsumi to hurry to the dojo.

Njord had no real problem sitting in the back; the classroom - while big - wasn't overly large, and his eyes were plenty good that he could see every little detail of what was written. That is, if he bothered to pay attention to the material at hand. Each period was a different topic, from mathematics they went to language, then history transformed into composition, then chemistry and literature after the lunch period.

As each class dragged on, Njord was fairly silent but it was obvious that this sitting here was starting to get to him. How in the world can they just sit so still, he thought. Life was all about motion, exploration. If people wanted to teach, that was fine, but do so in a way that they can be physically engaged. Work with their hands, not just their minds.

But finally it was over, allowing the giant to stretch his legs once more. It also meant it was time for an afterschool activity. Which one to pick, he thought. There were quite a few to choose from, and he had not yet signed up for one. He noticed Katsumi running off somewhere, and his careful following led him to a dojo. Martial arts, he thought, a confident smile appearing on his face. Yes, combat, that would work nicely.

He would soon follow the young woman up to the dojo, the students inside still getting ready for practice itself. Opening the door, he slipped off his shoes and went inside to find the instructor. Finding the teacher, he then bellowed, "Hey, Sensei...Is this the club where I learn how to kick someone's ass? Where do I sign up?"

Though she hadn't been expecting him to show up, Katsumi really should have known that Njord would want to join the martial arts club. There were small subsets, of course, but membership to the club meant you could learn them all. With his physique, she should have guessed he would show up here. Besides, her very first impression of him had been one of a warrior. She had had a strange flash of imagery in her head.

His presence was mischievous, but there was also an underlying sense of power--not just strength. Confidence and cunning that only seasoned warriors or those who devoted their lives to training their bodies seemed to envelop him. He was a person to be reckoned with, most certainly. But There was more to him than just that.

Despite knowing all this, there was a new weight to her stomach--dread perhaps? Still, just because he'd been more familiar with her than she might like or anyone might like, for that matter, didn't mean that he was going to keep that up here.

Of course, his opening line was less than impressive. She continued to the locker room to change into her gi. The sensei, in the mean time, took her time approaching the aspiring member.

"This is no place for meaningless violence, young man. Martial arts are a way to hone the body and mind, to defend that which is most important, and to discipline yourself. Kicking ass, as delightful as it is, is merely a bonus."

Njord grinned as the instructor corrected him on his stance regarding martial arts. He knew very well how they instructed the students here, and for the most part they were right. At the same time, to practice the martial arts was also a means of demonstrating skill. Skill not just in the style itself, but in combat overall and how to achieve balance and peace by using directed force. "Maybe not with this style, sure. But meaningless violence, as you put it, has a funny way of showing up where we least expect it."

He then paused, his tone reflecting a rather unseemly wisdom, "While I'm sure achieving balance has its place, to truly practice the art is to know how to cripple your opponent. To identify weakness and use that against them until they are no longer a threat. Was that not, after all, the original purpose leading to many of these styles? To me, the 'bonus' of kicking ass seems more a fundamental concept than an aspect simply tacked on for entertainment."

He then shrugged, "Perhaps I am wrong, and maybe it is a question that can't be answered." Smiling again, he added, "I could also have too much energy; being stuck in that box upstairs doesn't seem to sit well with me." With a flourish, he divested himself of his shirt and jacket right in front of Sensei, making some of the students leer in perplexed shame as they exited the dressing room.

"So then, am I correct to assume that I must defeat you first to gain admission?"

The sensei tilted her head, listening intently to the young man's point of view. He wasn't as thoughtless as she had first assumed. Well, well, perhaps here was someone who understood martial arts at their core. "A very intriguing point of view, sir. While we do take our practice seriously, we're not actually a dojo. I encourage students to explore all that martial arts have to offer, but you needn't defeat me to prove that you have what it takes to join. You simply need to sign up. Though if you would like to spar someone to get a sample of talent..."

She turned her head and spotted Katsumi, a good fighter. "Sango-san! You have a challenger."

"Hai!" Katsumi hurried over, her hair tied up in a tight bun and found herself face to bare chest with the giant. Of course, she would be the one to fight an opponent who looked like he could handle a small army. Still, a challenge was a challenge, and just because he looked the part, didn't necessarily mean he would act it. Then again, it was always foolish to underestimate your opponent.

She bowed gracefully and straightened. "So we meet again. It's nice to see you again, Njord. I should have figured you for a fighter. Do you have a preference for the rules of this fight?" She asked.

"Well, that's too bad; you seem like someone who could handle herself quite well." he replied honestly; he could tell from the way Sensei held herself that she was not one to be toyed with. For most others, at least; his mouth proved that he was willing to provoke just about anyone. And in this case, it was because he wanted to fight.

At her offer, he just smiled and gave a polite but curt nod; it wasn't long after that Katsumi herself stood before him. Well then, having to fight the one he was bound to protect? What excellent irony, and this alone made him chuckle and grin widely; a few other students seemed , thinking that he did not consider Katsumi - inarugably one of Sensei's best students - anything to be reckoned with. Others watched on with interest, wondering just what this Swedish loudmouth was capable of.

"Nice to see you too, Katsumi. Bet you're getting sick of me by this point eh?" he snickered, not bothering to take a defensive stance in the slightest. "Rules? Ha! There are no rules in war." he commented, adding playfully "And don't think just because you've got the sexy factor working for you that I'll go easy." Of course, he would definitely scale it back as much as possible; if he really went all out, he'd annihilate her before she could draw another breath.

"But in the spirit of good sportsmanship, I will allow the lady the first blow." Njord stated, changing his stance only in widening the gap between his legs, "I suggest you make it count. Because then it's on after that." Some students exchanged worried glances; just what was he thinking? Leaving himself so vulnerable like that was unheard of with what they had learned through Sensei's teachings, others were irritated at the thought he was making a mockery of them through Katsumi, a needless display of machismo and recklessness.

Back
Top Bottom