Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Questions about Third Shift

Archmagos Issac

Sir Ser Issac of Clarke of Chad the II
Recently I've gotten a job working at a factory on the midnight shift and have never done that before. I start officially working on Sunday and go in for training tomorrow with the first shift crew. Does anyone have any tips for getting ready to work a third shift job and working a third shift job in general?

I'm not really sure. I haven't gotten any messages about it being in the wrong forum area so I'm assuming nothing is wrong. Then again I've been wrong in the past haha

As an overnighter the thing I have to say is, try to be consistent with your work schedule during your weekend.

I've been working the same position for 5+ years now and doing that is the best way to not fuck with your head.

I hope you are a heavy sleeper or live alone. My biggest issue was being unable to sleep during the day. If you hate energy drinks but like coffee, star bucks double shot energy was my best friend during those nights where I didn't have any sleep to power me through.

Unfortunately I live in a home with a bunch of noise. Luckily I've invested in ear plugs and instructed the occupants in the house to wake me up at a given time. As to coffee and energy drinks, the only thing I drink that comes close to that is Mountain Dew.

Mountain Dew Kickstarter then, those are cheap but I needed two of them to get through the night.

I wish you luck. You're either a night person or you aren't. I am too light of a sleeper to work night shift.

Avoid caffeine and sugary drinks, they will give you a rush but drain you long term. Drink plenty of water, eat good healthy food.

If you can move around a little every now and again and get some outdoor air as well if possible.

Don't eat when you get home and you will sleep better, make your bedroom as dark as possible too.

Been doing nights for many years and that is what works for me.

Get sleep when you can, easier said than done..but just don't try to stay up to please other people that have "normal schedules." Try not to take things to keep you awake...most if not all will end up wearing off soon enough. 1 energy drink turns into 2 or 3 very fast. As others have said, try to keep the room where you sleep dark. Try to keep it as quiet or loud as you need it (I sleep better with some noise.) I have more trouble staying asleep than falling asleep..for that I use melatonine supplements. They are natural and non addictive. Good luck, been doing 3rd shift for 10+ years...most days are ok..some not so much.

I appreciate the tips. I'm trying to get my body used to the schedule and so far it's working. Sugar and Caffeine I'm avoiding as best as I can. I have a 30 minute drive to worry about so that's probably the only time I'll use sugar or caffeine. The last thing I need is to fall asleep at the wheel with no place to pull off and sleep. I've also gotten a sleep mask and invested in ear plugs to keep it dark and quiet. Now I just gotta see if this winter storm snows me in or not haha

You will find that by keeping hydrated you won't need caffeine in the morning anyway. I have a 45 min drive from work and I do fine even when I'm very tired also open your car window the cold air will stop you getting sluggish.

Just another note on caffeine and being tired it can make you very paranoid and emotional. Hence a lot of the friendly Fire incidents in war by soldiers on "go pills".

First week down. First day was.....bad. I didn't even make it to work. I went straight off the road thanks to a snow storm. Second day wasn't too bad, I was pretty sore though. As the week continued I steadily got more sore and a nasty cold I have got more nasty.

Back
Top Bottom