Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Fixers 2.0 (Broom and I)

Rayna was afraid that something happened to Luce..so the fact that he knew where she was...that meant that she was still alive. "...Why does it matter if I know where she is? You have me trapped here, in bonds that restrain my magic. What good with that information do? Knowing that she's alive is good enough for me."

"Because Luce will come here, and probably alone," Rent mused. "And while I have no doubt she will come here...I wonder what state she'd be in when she finally finds you? Whatever you did to that woman, she's committed. I suppose it is better than just having her traipse around without a purpose...but this is an unfortunate mess, and I assumed you'd be willing to see her come to less harm."

"I'm not exactly sure that answers my question." Rayna began as she regarded him, crossing her legs. "Of course I don't want to see her harmed, but what can I actually do to stop that if you're keeping me here as a prisoner?"

"Plenty," Rent said casually. "But I can't help you if you can't help me, Rayna. But I don't know if I can trust you, I can tell you what can help...or I won't." Rent shrugged. "The end result could be Luce's death, or maybe it couldn't...she's a durable woman, she's handled stuff that some people only dream of."

The thought of Luce dying or even being hurt made Rayna cringe. She didn't even want Luce to come save her..not by herself. But she knew that she would, and this man seem to know that. He knew way more than that Kerry woman. "...What kind of things do you want to know?"

"Let's start small," Rent decided. "You tell me a location of a Fixer safehouse, and I'll tell you the last location of Luce. Fair?"

"Fine." Rayna knew a few locations that were no longer active. She would use those. She didn't want to endanger others just because she got captured. Then again, he seemed smart...he might already know about those places. "..The Red Fox club on Eastside."

Rent didn't say anything, simply tiling his head with a faint chuckle. "Luce was last seen on Southside, in the junkyard...got a call about...oh, I don't know...ten, eleven fresh bodies shown up in the meat factory, gang markings all over them. Guess she's causing trouble, the question is if she knows that you're here...but I have a hunch she does," he said, turning off the sound dampener on his phone as he slid it back into his jacket. Just in time, Kerry had returned with a better sandwich.

Rayna completely ignored Kerry when she slammed the plate on the desk in front of her and then moved over to the corner to watch them. Gang members? They probably messed with her...poor guys. A lot of people underestimated Luce. A lot of dead people. She picked up the sandwich and then started to nibble on it. "Why do you think that?" She asked after a while.

"Because Luce is resourceful," Rent murmured. "Far more than she acts like, especially after she met you, Rayna...which makes me wonder what you did to make her that way." He had a hunch, but the goal here was to keep her talking. Still, Rayna was no fool either. Maybe back when she started out as a Fixer, or...perhaps when they first knew of her, she had already been a fixer. It was hard to say.

"I didn't do anything. Luce just likes me." It was honestly hard to say why Luce took such a strong liking to her. Rayna had never really asked. All she knew was that after she wasn't being haunted anymore, Luce had gotten better with people. She just happened to be the only one that Luce truly, genuinely loved.

"Really?" Rent said in honest surprise, brow raised. "We have quite the record on Luce, to a point...a lot of our reports and few interrogations with her suggested some serious signs of psychopathy and anti-social disorder, and yet you claim to have done nothing to earn such loyalty?"

Rayna just shrugged as she finished her sandwich. "If I did do something, I don't what. I never asked her what I did, because it doesn't matter. Have you ever considered that I am just a very pretty, charismatic woman?" She heard Kerry scoff in the corner, but she didn't say a word.

"It's quite possible," Rent said easily. "But I didn't exactly expect Luce to be swayed by a pretty face and some silk words, Rayna. But you are a mage," he mused. "A very potent one, at that."

"One capable of the Forces school and not much else. I didn't brainwash her if that's what you're getting at." She answered as she sat back in her chair. He was right, Luce wasn't that type of person. But she couldn't tell him something she didn't know, and she wasn't just going to throw out guesses on what it could have been. She'd give him too much information doing that.

"Hm, fair enough," Rent said, rising up. "Our discussion has been illuminating, Miss Rayna...thank you for your time. I'm sure Kerry has been providing to your every need, or she should be."

"Hmph." Rayna responded as she folded her arms. "Leaving so soon? You said you'd help me. Going back on your word?" She should have known. But at least she didn't give him any useful information.

Rent chuckled faintly. "Southtown junkyard...spotted with some boy, can't say I know who that is, either. Popular spot for people to dump off bodies for meat puppets, though...guess things go full circle for Luce sometimes, eh?"

Rayna remained silent. There wasn't much left to say now. Plus, she was trying to figure out exactly what Luce would be doing with a boy at a junkyard.

"Are you two finally done?" Kerry asked with irritation. There was that matter they needed to take care of, and any moment Rayna would be out like a light. Poor girl didn't even realize her food had been laced with sedatives.

"You should relax, Kerry...gives you stress lines on your eyes," he smiled, patting her shoulder in passing. "I'll take care of the details, you just tell me where to go." She'd learn one way or another...shame there had to be a waste of life to prove his point, however.

Kerry glowered at him before she heard a Rayna groan softly. She turned her gaze towards the woman, seeing her beginning to slouch over. Well, joke was on her. She thought she was being a smart ass, but now she would be asleep. "You can start by helping me get her over to the medical wing." She told him as Rayna closed her eyes. "There's a surgeon waiting for her already."

It was a safehouse in the term that...it was safe, but that was about it. 'house' was pushing it, rather gravely. It was a literal single room apartment, with cramped shutter for the toilet and a loose blind with a halfway upraised section that served as some kind of shower. And to make things even more interesting, it was in an even worse section of Southside...but Luce seemed to fit in here a lot more. Which was a good and a bad thing, depending on how you took it.

"Home sweet home...for the moment," Luce said, swiping the card to slide the door open and step inside. Now, if she remembered...Kali had a small cache here...

It was...a little nicer than the hovel he lived in. But definitely not as spacious. Were they really supposed to share this studio apartment together? There was really no privacy here. "..I can't complain." He said as he placed his belongings in the corner. There wasn't any space to bring his drone..but he'd be able to access it still, so that wasn't a problem. "Is this where you live or something?"

"No," Luce snorted. "Rayna acts like she can handle it, but she gets all squirmy when she's in poor places," She smirked. "This is more my style, though..." she mused, heading toward the simple closet and opening it. "We have a place on the Gold Coast, must burn the little corp cronies to know that there's a set of fixers in the richest part of town." What could she say? She spoiled Rayna.

"..Really? Gold Coast?" That was..well it definitely proved this woman was a Fixer, and a good one. "So..Rayna. She doesn't really look related to you. Is she your friend? Or just a partner?" He wasn't sure why he was so curious. It was just the way Luce looked whenever she talked about Rayna. Maybe she was just worried or something, but it seemed more than that to Cyrus. He spent a lot of time observing people.

Back
Top Bottom