Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Mystic Wonders [ParalyzingLullaby & Enos]

Luna.Minx

Super-Earth
The scorching Arizona sun began to set, signaling the start of "The Mystic Wonders" Freak show. It was both an exhibition of human biological rarities but also animalistic creatures. The loud carnival music joining with the sound of animals and shouting spectators echoed throughout the caged grounds. While other staff members prepared mystical creatures to complete the traditional ongoing hoax the show was known for, one of the staff was wrestling with a living anomaly, literally.

A face and shoulder mask designed to look like the head of a snake flew across a caged area that belonged to one of the shows most complex creatures. "You stubborn son of a bitch..." The creatures handler roared in frustration before he began stomping towards the discarded mask, but the large serpentine body of the creature coiled around his torso and tossed him into the bars of the cage.

The musical giggle of the bearded lady rung out loudly while the ringleader called everyone to their respective stations. She looked at the staff member who was inspecting his ribs while standing as far away as he could from the stubborn creature. "Instead of laughing while don't you sweet talk it into being a good little worm and slithering itself into that damn mask. The ringleader things we would get more of an audience if they thought this freak of nature was just a giant snake." No sooner than he was finished his sentence he was shoved into the section of the cage that had a door.

The bearded lady giggled again and placed her hands on her hips. "I think that's a subtle hint." She said then walked over to look closer into the cage. The portion of the creatures body that was human was pressed against the bars. It was male, he had flawlessly tanned skin, bright eyes that shone with a golden gleam and long hip length black hair that was braided back at his temples to show a face made up of sharp masculine angles. The bearded lady grinned. "I think the ladies would be much more interested in seeing him as he is." The purr in her voice earned her a glare from the stubborn creature. Despite the fact he obviously understood them he clearly wasn't the type to do as he was told.

RE: The Mystic Wonders

The ringleader's assistant, a tall wiry woman in her late twenties named Nadia Kristoff, surveyed the scene with a low groan of frustration. The ringleader was a middle aged woman who rarely handled the circus work herself, preferring to give orders from her tent and let her assistant and the staff handle everything, she rarely felt the need to explain herself and gave little direction, leaving her daughter Nadia to interpret her orders and try to explain them to the often frustrated and overworked staff. With a shake of her head Nadia let her staff deal with the obstinate snake creature while she turned her attention to a rugged looking, muscular man who was holding a map and staring impatiently at her.

"What do you have for me now Ben?" she asked with equal impatience, her voice low for a woman and holding a bit of rasp, but not unpleasant to the ear. It was a voice that suited her face, sharp, with high cheekbones and large eyes sporting dark circles from long nights pouring over the books and working on routines. Her tightly curled red hair was pulled back into a low ponytail, sleek and tidy on top and erupting into wild, shoulder length curls below the ribbon that held it in place. Attractive in her own way but not conventionally so. Her black as midnight eyes glared unblinkingly at her mother's former lover.

"For once, something that might make ye happy, lass" Ben replied. Ben Lennox was a gigantic man, solidly built and nearly six and a half feet tall. He had coarse, whitening blond hair closely cropped to his head and perpetual stubble on his strong chin. In another life he would have been very handsome, with his lightly tanned skin and deep blue eyes but life as a mercenary and treasure hunter had roughened his looks, making his face weathered and craggy beyond what his forty three years would have otherwise allowed him.

He unrolled his map and pointed, "There, more of yar snake people. I reckon that's where the man who sold ye that one," he gestured to the serpent creature in his cage, "Found 'im," he drawled in his gravelly brogue. "I wos thinkin' ta meself that it might do yar show some good to find out more about these creatures or maybe even catch a second one. I even heard there was treasure there and tha good laird knows we need all tha help we can get when it comes to our finances," the Scotsman paused and waited for Nadia to study the map and take in what he'd just told her.

Nadia looked over at the creature in the cage and then back at Ben, "We can barely handle this one," she jerked her thumb over her shoulder, "I don't think we need another...but you do have a point, we are running low on funds and treasure might be a good way to solve that," she said. "Mother's latest idea was to go hunting for a unicorn. a unicorn, Ben, we got lucky that a live snake-man landed in our laps but I think this menagerie of mythical creatures is starting to get out of hand, most of them really don't even exist...she just thinks they do!" she heaved a deep sigh.

Ben frowned, the kid was tired, that much was obvious, running this circus while her mother continued to live a life of delusional fantasy was wearing her out and he gave Nadia a rough pat, "Tell ye what, we'll let that bearded lady run this show for a few months while you and I go on an expedition ta find this snake city, then we'll get ourselves a heap of treasure, get rich, and rest easy for awhile, aye?" he suggested.

Nadia gave him a grateful smile, "It's a deal, give me that map so I can study it and you can take your men over to the big tent at the edge of camp and wash up, I'll send you all some dinner in half an hour," and with that she dismissed him and went to sit on a barrel near the snake man's cage to pour over the thick parchment. The bearded lady and the handler were already going off for their own break leaving her alone with the creature and the map...

Keeping his ears open to the brief conversation between the two humans the caged naga coiled his tail around his lower body then leaned over and relaxed his elbows on his tail. “You should know…” He started in a low drawl, perfectly fluent in English. “That stupid map will only lead you in circles.” He uncoiled himself but paused for a second to pick up the snake mask the handler tried to make him wear earlier. “The temples are guarded and also well hidden. So are the villages my people live in.”

He slowly slithered over to where she was observing the map and tossed the mask on the ground in front of her. “If you get me out of this place I’ll personally bring you to the temples where the treasure is and you can take as much as you can carry, as long as you leave me and my people alone.” He grabbed one of the steel bars of his cage and curled his fingers around it tightly. “If you help me get the hell out of here and back to my homeland, I will help you. Do we have a deal?” He asked, tilting his head down so he could bring his head to her level.

Startled Nadia dropped the map, letting it fall dangerously close to the snake's cage. She stared at him, gaping for a moment in both awe and a little fear, "You spoke," she breathed, "No one told me you could do that....." she straightened herself and picked the map off the ground. She looked from the map to the creature and back to the map. She locked eyes with him for a moment, as though she were searching for something in them, "You'd help me if I set you free? How do I know I can trust you?" her voice, full of wonder and a touch of pain, sounded far more innocent than it should have, coming from someone who looked as world weary and exhausted as Nadia did.

The Naga watched the woman carefully as she picked up the fallen map. Even though he felt a twinge of sympathy for her troubles he quickly reminded himself which one of them was denied freedom and forced to live in a cage. He made sure his emotions didn't show in his features as he raised a brow at the comment she made about him being able to speak. The Naga was also careful to hold his temper in check but couldn't help but scoff when she asked about trusting him.

He figured she'd want proof of the existence of the treasure, turning around he moved over to the far corner of the cage where a makeshift bed was piled on the floor. Reaching down he pulled up a gold chain and at the end of it dangled a solid gold engraved seal with a diamond centered in it. Anyone with ancient artifact knowledge would know similar seals existed and were used as identifying items for gatekeepers guarding any one of the temples of old.

The Naga slithered over to the side of the cage where the woman was standing and while holding the necklace he shoved his hand through the bars of the cage. Once he had a good grip on the chain he released his hold on the seal and let it fall so she could get a closer look. "Monks usually wear seals like this." He paused to look down at the seal.

"This necklace belonged to the bones of the last gatekeeper that rotted away within the walls of one of the temples. "War, curses, my people... many things prevented the natives of the land from coming back. They left mountains of treasure behind all because they declared it was cursed." He shrugged and shoved his arm out closer to her.

"Wealth means nothing to my people, we would prefer to see the temples emptied by looters instead of hiding away from poachers like the one that caught me." He paused and watched her for a moment then shook the necklace, indicating she should take it from him. "Go ahead... examine it." He looked at the necklace then at her.

Nadia's eyes went wide at the sight of the necklace and then even wider when she heard the story behind it. "This is-this is the kind of thing we've been needing," she said softly. She reached out a hesitant hand and touched the necklace, pulling away as though she were afraid it would burn her then, upon his insistence, she took it and examined it.

"It's real...." she breathed. She looked back at him, "You have a deal!" she cried grasping his hand and shaking it, forgetting for a moment that he was a snake man in a cage and not some ordinary business partner.

"Bain... that's my name. Well a variation of my true name. Humans have a hard time wrapping their tongue around it." He said with a sly grin as he accepted her handshake. He wasn't used to human contact, especially willing human contact so it caught him off guard for a moment, but he did well to keep himself composed.

Releasing her hand he wrapped his fingers around the bars of the cage again. "So... how we gunna do this. I would think the ringleader would notice a missing snakeman." He tilted his head to the side in thought. "You don't happen to know any drunks, do you?" He proceeded to suggest they put a passed out drunk in his bed, under large rolled blankets and place that snake head mask on him. He also explained that the staff wanted him to wear that for weeks.

Nadia laughed bitterly, "Half the people who work for my mother end up drunk, she drives them too it," she shook her head. "No I think I have a better idea, we're going to need Ben and his crew to transport you but if I tell my mother we're trading you off for a bigger, shinier snake man she'll give us her blessing and funds for the trip. We can find a way for you to conveniently have escaped. Mother will undoubtedly be upset but the treasure will make up for it,"

She picked up the snake mask with a frown, "Probably mother's idea, to make you look less like a person," she examined the mask, "This is heavy, and stiff, I wouldn't make you wear it for an hour, much less weeks," she rapped her knuckles against the hard woody material, "It has no give and this opening where your head goes hasn't been sanded down, it's sharp. I think I can safely say our costume maker has also given up at her job."

She rubbed the bridge of her nose, with a deep sigh, "Once this place was the greatest show on earth. We were like a family, everyone loved working with each other and no one had to be forced into joining us. We took pride in what we did, all of us. That's gone now, everyone here is bitter and angry. Most of the troop resent this new 'mythical beasts' angle they have to work. Dancers, acrobats and clowns don't want to spend their days sweeping out cages and running around on wild goose chases after gryphons and manticors."

The Naga grinned then nodded his head in agreement. "Well, you know her best after all." He glanced down at the mask as she was observing it and snorted in dry humor. "So, she's just another one of the staff member unraveling under the pressure?" He asked then from slightly when she mentioned how things used to be. "Spare me the speech on the glory days lady..." He started then lowered his head so he could look into her face at a closer angle, a grin curving his lips.

"Although, watching your idiotic staff chase after gryphons and manticores sounds quite amusing." He moved back a little and crossed his arms over his chest. "I won't prevent you from gaining the riches you desire... but I don't think all the treasure in the world will save this place while your mother continues to rule." He looked around before straightening his posture.

"Your mother needs her own personal freak show and a generous amount of wealth to retire with..." He moved his hand out towards the rest of the camp. "Not all this chaos... you on the other hand." He leaned in closer. "You can start over, bigger and better than your mother. I'm willing to bet my freedom that with you as ringleader I'm sure freaks will come from all over to beg to join the show." He finished with a smirk.

"That's another thing I'd definitely do differently, I would never force someone to work for me. My mother has forgotten that her staff and crew are people," she looked up at him soberly, "Transporting you around is going to be costly, we can do it but money will be tight so you won't exactly be traveling around in the lap of luxury...but I'm going to trust you now, you gave your word and now I'm giving you my word that you will be out of that cage this time tomorrow and on your way to your home."

Bane watched the little woman as she spoke and took mental notes of key things she was saying for the sake of any creature he might come across while she owned/controlled the freak show. He grinned when she informed him he wouldn't be traveling in the lap of luxury. "Oh, I'm sure I'll survive. I've lived for over a year in this damn cage under stressful conditions. What could possibly be any worse?" He asked curiously then addressed her last sentence. "You can trust me... I want my freedom more than anything. I give you my word that I won't screw you over..." He paused. "Well, unless you want me to." He added as he smirked rather deviously.

Nadia jolted at his insinuation, "Was that...was that a come on?" she asked turning red-faced at the idea. Though she had been caught off guard she had to admit now that the idea had been laid before her she was curious. Could he even do that with a human? She had the sudden urge to reach out and touch his coils, but she suppressed it and she stood fidgeting for a moment. "Right, ah....well I should go, I have pre-preperations to make, I'll come back later!" she stammered hurriedly and turned to flee, leaving the map laying on the barrel right outside of the cage.

The Naga grinned as he watched the face of the little woman turn a lovely shade of red. He nodded in understanding when she said she would return later. He could hardly contain his excitement for freedom as he watched her walk away but he knew getting him out of the cage would take some time. Sliding his eyes to the barrel he noticed she had forgotten the map. Shaking his head slightly he reached for the parchment. "Humans..." He mumbled then slithered on over to his bed and coiled into a comfortable knot upon the tattered material they allowed him to have for sleeping. Frowning he studied the map for a while then tucked it away for safe keeping until his new found lady friend came back.

Nadia discussed the plan with her mother, having to go so far as to promise to return with a unicorn before she received funding for the trip and then she went to tell Ben. Ben was livid when he heard that they were releasing the snake man, "Do ye have any idea what it took ta get him in tha first place?!" he cried as he waved a massive hand in the air.

Nadia folded her arms, "I know, but if we let him go think of how rich we'll be, rich enough to buy this circus from my mother and start it over. Start it over right with willing human oddities!" she insisted.

Ben ran a rough hand over his face with a loud sigh, "Ah wanna talk ta this snake man. Let me judge fer myself if he's trust worthy," he said.

"You can do that when you go let him out of the cage. We're moving out tonight, have your men pack their things and move him onto the train," said Nadia.

Ben placed his hands on his hips and appraised her for a moment, "Ye seem so sure of yerself," he said slowly, "Like there's no doubt in yer mind that this plan will work. Where'd this sudden confidence come from?"

Nadia smiled at him, "It's not a question of being sure of myself, I just don't have anything to lose at this point. We can't afford not to take this chance," she said.

Ben nodded, "A'richt, I'll have the boys move the cage onto the cargo train, then snake man and I are gonna have us a talk," he said.

When the cage had been moved Ben stood, key in hand, waiting to release the naga behind bars, "Now, I'm gonna let you out. Nadia trusts you ta behave yerself. Me, I ain't so sure," he drawled. He gave the keys a twirl, "If I let you outta tha' cage, will ye behave yerself?"

Bane did his best to be still and calmed his emotions when he saw people coming to his cage. For a fleeting second he thought they might not approve of his lady friends plan and instead sell him off or worse, kill him. All such crazy thoughts left his mind the moment he noticed his entire cage was being moved into a device humans call a train. He remembered traveling in a loud bumpy steel snake that shook endlessly. He wondered if this ride would be exactly the same, behind the bars of a cage.

The Naga was still at first but when the large human twirled the key to his freedom, quite literally. He sat up then moved over to where the human stood. "I will behave... you have my word." He said. Locking eyes with the other man as he placed his hand over his heart. "I swear." He added. He knew humans did such things to convince others of their trust and he hoped the sincerity in his voice and golden eyes would be enough to secure his freedom. That and the fact he was tired of rotting in a cage.

Ben frowned for a minute and considered the sincerity of the snake man's gesture before he put the key in the lock and twisted it. With a creak the cage door opened, "Well thar ye go, dinna be gettin' in ta trouble now," he said gruffly, "Nadia's waiting for you in the passenger car, it's two cars up from here," he jerked his thumb behind him, "If ye'll go an' join her in her compartment she'll set about helpin' ye get comfortable fer the rest of the trip."

The snake man watched the rough looking human open the door to his cage and felt the cold stiff fingers of confinement release him. He closed his eyes for a moment and took in a long deep breath. He was in such a deep calming zone he almost missed what the man said to him about meeting Nadia in the passenger car. Blinking himself back to the land of the living he nodded his understanding to the large man. He picked up the map out of the bedding on the floor then swayed his hips and slithered out of the door of the cage that had been his very own personal hell for what felt to him like an eternity. Stopping beside the man he cleared his throat awkwardly. "Um... thanks." He said gruffly then began heading for the passenger car.

Moving through the other cars had not been as hard as he thought. He took the time to stretch out his tale while he looked around with almost a childlike curiosity. He was careful not to touch anything but he accidentally knocked a few things over, but paused to set them right again. When he counted the two cars he had traveled through he silently thanked the humans for the fact he learned nearly everything about human communication, counting and reading. All self taught of course, but he hadn't got a good grip on reading yet. He knew he didn't need to learn how to write human since he was going to go back home but something about that little female human made him want to learn.

Sliding the passenger car open he peeked inside and swept his eyes over the area to make sure there wasn't anyone else but also to look for the redhead he was seeking. Spotting her not far from the entrance to the rather large car he moved himself inside with a smooth sway of his hips. He used the massive muscles in his tail to slide it up and around him so not to knock something else over. Moving until he was close enough to the little human he crossed his arms over his chest and grinned. "So, I was told you are the lady to see about making myself comfortable for the rest of the trip." He asked playfully.

Nadia nodded, "I'm pretty sure you don't want to stay cooped up in that cage for the duration of our trip," she said, "You're getting your own compartment with a proper seat and you'll be given dinner with the rest of us," she pulled out a notebook and a pen, "Now do you have any food preferences?" she asked him.

The Naga was surprised with her courtesy regarding his comfort especially after the way he was treated by the Freak Show staff. Bane did his best to keep his feeling out of his face while he listened to the little lady speak about his living conditions while on this mechanical snake. "That's more than I expected, thank you." He said somewhat surprised.

However at the mention of dining with the humans he paled slightly. "Are you sure the others won't mind a snake man in the room? Not many humans like the little snakes I can only guess how they'd react to seeing my serpent half." He said, then flicked the end of his tail so it slid smoothly across the floor.

At the mention of his food preferences he chuckled softly. "Not really, I'd be happy with fruit and maybe some of that edible cotton stuff that was sold at the show, pink preferably." He added, then ran his thumb over the parchment still in his hand as his memory caught up with him.

"Oh yeah..." He began moving closer to her until he was directly beside her seat. Glancing down at the parchment trapped between his long fingers he rose his hand and showed it to her before placing it on the table in front of her. "You forgot this... it's better to have some reference rather than relying on my memory only. It has been a while since I've seen my home and all it's wonders. Unless..." He leaned down to bring his face closer to hers. "You left it on purpose in hopes of another encounter." He asked smoothly, with a flirtatious curl to his lips and something unreadable in his eyes.

Nadia blushed right down to the roots of her hair, "No...no that wasn't..." she cleared her throat and changed the subject, doing her best not to look into that gorgeous face of his "I'm sure the crew will be fine, we've eaten with plenty of odd creatures before," she said holding up the map and pretending to study it.

"You say you like fruit? I'll have some prepared for you right away. Fruit and-" It suddenly dawned on her that the edible cotton stuff he was talking about was cotton candy, "Cotton candy? You like cotton candy?" she asked him.

Back
Top Bottom