Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Retired Revolver (DaveTheHuman & NightSorceress)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leaning up, I awaken from the sounds of roosters and the feel of the rising sun. I yawn looking down at the makeshift bed I fashioned last night in this hayloft in the barn. It's no brothel bed above a saloon but that life's behind me. I'll have to make due with what I have, and what I have is a fairly good deal.

Getting out of the sheets I grab my work clothes and reach for my gun belt. Over the past month I've become gun-shy, hesitant to carry it, but despite my changed ways I understand the importance of the tool. I fasten my belt around my waist and grab my hat before climbing down from the loft, walking through the barn, and going to the house.

Before I even arrive at the large porch I see my new boss come out and say "Good you're up. We have a long day ahead of us." He motions for us to go to the barn and grab two horses.

We spend nearly the entire daylight riding out and bringing the cows back into their pen. By the time we come back to the property after my first day of work, the sun has nearly set over the hills that surround the property.

She heard the horse coming closer to the house and she went to the door and stepped out on the porch as her father came up to the house. "Where have you been,did you not see how dark it was getting, and your dinner is getting cold" she scolded her father but then stopped as she noticed the man with him.

"Oh um excuse me sir, you must be the new hand my father hired, my name is Lillian, but you can call me Lily." She smiled warmly at him. She was very pretty, even though the country where she lived was harsh, she looked as delicate as the flower that was her name sake. "Why don't you boys wash up and come inside and get some fried chicken." She then went back into the house setting an extra place for their new guest.

On my horse, I nod saying "Good to meet you miss. I'm John." I lie about my name, despite my greatly shortened beard and hair I don't want to risk my new life by using my old name. It's something I plan on taking to my grave.

After taking the horses to the barn and removing the saddles I go up to the loft and change out of my work clothes into something fresher. Walking the short way to the house I enter and see the kitchen table ready for the meal.

Taking a seat joining you two your father says "First chance I can, I'll get the room upstairs cleaned out for you." I nod knowing it probably won't be as easy as he says, but I appreciate the gesture. With his son dead I think emptying his room will be harder than he lets on.

Lilly begins filling the plates with fresh fried chicken, corn and biscuits as the boy come to sit at the table. However she almost drops the last plate when her father offers to clean out her older brothers room. Her hand shakes and forgets to finish fill her plate she just slowly sits back down in her seat. Her brother was her best friend the thought of cleaning out his room as if he never lived at making he want to cry.

She fights back tears she looks at John. "So John how long to do you plan on staying around here."

I take a sip of my drink when you put food on the plates. Listening I say "Well as long as there's work, I'll be here." From what I heard from your father last night in the saloon, there is going to be plenty of work for a very long time. Your family owns a massive property with all sorts of farm animals and a small patch of crops. So with only two men to do it all, it will be busy to say the least, regardless of season.

Looking around the house it seems like it's been around a while. From the inside it's well kept but from the outside view it looks like it's been a bit neglected. There are missing shingles, lifted floor boards on the porch, and cracked paint.

"Well then your never leaving because there is always work. It never seems to end." She ate some of her dinner. She looked at John as she ate trying to get a better read on him. She knew everyone in town and she knew he was not from her where though she was not sure. As they finished their meal she cleared the plates and then looked to John. "Would you like some coffee and pie?"

"That sounds great, yes." I say as your father stands up and says "None for me Lilly, I'm stuffed." He goes over and kisses your cheek before going upstairs and getting ready for the evening. I watch him head up the stairs and say "Yea it was a long day. That's for sure."

As we are in the kitchen, two U.S. marshals walk through the town nearby asking people if they've seen the man on the wanted poster named "Deadshot Dave." The townspeople look closely but none recognize my former long-bearded self. The marshals are confident I'm somewhere around here, or at least passed through so they rethink their strategy.

"Good night dad" she smiles and watches as he goes upstairs then gets the pie for John and pours him some coffee and some for herself. She brings the pie and coffee over to the table and sets it In front of him. "So where are you from originally, what were you doing before my dad hired you?" Lily tried to make some small talk trying to get to know him better since she knew he would be around here a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom