Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Fantasy Question

the fill-in

Super-Earth
I kinda wanted to put this on BMA, but it's a bit casual for it so I'll just ask here.

In a way, isn't it wrong to use Earth manipulation powers (be it earth-bending, earth magic, etc.) around a grave? Sure, I mean Necromancy's also bad because of manipulating souls/dead bodies and in some way disrespecting, but you're also disturbing the dead by moving the earth it's in...

If you believe that all things return to the Earth, and become one with the Earth, then it would hardly be disrespectful since you are just moving - Earth.

Without context or understanding the beliefs, as Tryon says, its not an either or question. I give one example of Earth belief, there are many others, and they would all see it differently.

How is it disrespecting the dead? They're dead. They're gone. And the corpse is eagerly in the process of transforming into nutrients for other life. Don't hold back those Earth-bending powers just because you might rattle a few bones. Dead men don't talk.

I made a topic similar to this one time, asking about the old "Indian Burial Grounds" trope in horror movies. With all of the people who have ever been alive on the Earth, isn't it impossible to build something anywhere without either disturbing or setting your thing on top of where somebody died/was buried?

Depends on the universe you're roleplaying in- difference regions will have different opinions and beliefs to the needs of the dead, and that can vary from individual to individual as well. So consider the possible beliefs of the area it's happening in- will the locals will aghast, outraged, or just be angry/upset about the property damage? Is the area empty or populated? How old are the graves? Is it a private cemetary, are they for wardead, etc.

Technically the earth is but a speck in the fabric of time, and I have always tried to look at the bigger picture, the universe as a whole. The earth itself (Is current cosmological theories are true) then in the next several hundred trillion years the earth will gravitate towards a larger mass and be absorbed later...

However I digress, your question has a lot of ifs ands or buts involved. That being said I would just play it safe and not use such abilities around the final resting place.

Back
Top Bottom