Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

(loneiysong) Dealing with Dragons (MaximalCrazy)

Nodding she looked at him. "Yes, honey is very sweet." She laughed as his tongue took the chocolate and she nodded. "Yes, chocolate is a great thing. It is not like ice and water. I mean, yes you melt down chocolate, but you usually have to add milk to it to make it drinkable. But, in a way, I guess it is like ice and water." She nodded and looked at him and grinned wider. She leaned back and nodded. "Yes, I think I will bring you treats." She frowned watching him stiffen and got up and walked to the cave opening.

Getting up, she walked with him and looked out. "They are practicing magics?" She frowned looking at the kingdom. She groaned and ran a hand through her hair wondering how she was going to parlay this to her father.

Treats sounded good next time, however his mind was preoccupied now. Her presence was felt next to him, Nevith still gazing down at the kingdom of Westmarch. A city of nobles, and now magic users. He recalled that not many skilled magicians and wizards were within this war between the three nations. Alabastor had size, Westmarch had the resources. Providence? They barely held on during this war, and Nevith found it a miracle that they made it this far. Well, now they had a dragon. Secretly. "Yes, I noticed a tremor in the air. Normal humans not attuned to magical energies cannot feel it. Beasts, especially ones such as myself, who can use magic themselves, can sense this from miles away."

Looking towards Elena, her face seemed distraught. With a sigh, the dragon's tail came up to pat her head in some small form of reassurance. "They are refining their skills, yes, but their level of magic now is still that of a novice. It is in no shape or form battle ready." Nevith explained to her, narrowing his eyes to try and get a look at the number of magic users. But even at this distance, it was impossible for him to tell. "I do not believe Westmarch will be using these new found skills until much later. Perhaps that should put your mind at ease, Princess." The dragon turned around towards the cave, letting the noble humans have their moment in peace for now. "If you worry further about your kingdom, there is no cause for alarm. Dragons are always ill sightings to you humans, even during war. It will be some time before Alabastor will attempt again with me in the area. Westmarch will no doubt learn of my intervention as well and tread cautiously."

Suddenly, Nevith looked at her and cleared his throat, glaring a bit. "Do not think I shall act of my own free will. I need not remind you that my services require payment, Princess Elena of Providence." He did his best to sound intimidating, leaning in close with those fierce eyes. "Nevith Longtail does not operate in charity. Consider it more so that I am in a generous mood." He plopped down at the mouth of his cave, exhaling sharply in annoyance. Whatever seemed to disturb him in that moment, it didn't seem up for further discussion as the dragon's tail laid upon the ground, idly wagging itself up and down. "And I still expect these human delicacies you explained to me. This baked bread and goat milk. But I require jewels still!" Nevith told her sternly, head held high. Poised in the moonlight like that, he seemed rather majestic, and his scales seemed to even glow a bit. Oddly though, it didn't help him appear any more scary. And even so, his tone hid something else, though it would be hard to say with those glaring eyes.

Elena nodded at the dragons words. They brought comfort to her. She was about to lean her head against him in a sign of friendship when he cleared his throat.

She groaned in her own annoyance and looked at him. "Neither longtail, I have paid you in full and have shown you several times you can rely on my word." She wasn't sure it was the news of magic users or his sudden attitude switch but now she was angry. Elena went and collected her things and then looked at him and shaking her head she walked down to her horse and got on and rode off. She was not sure what had come over the dragon but it agitated her to no end.

How dare he imply that she would try to trick him or short him. She rode home, tended to her horse, then went inside for some much needed rest. She bundled up under the covers and shut her eyes slowly falling asleep.

Seeing the woman quickly get on her horse, Nevith became rather annoyed himself. Though, he wasn't sure why. She was already heading down the path as he shouted out at her. "Do not snap at me, human!" He argued back at her, but she was long down the trail before he could continue on. A grumble left his throat as he laid there with a glare, seeing the dust and dirt kick up as she rode off. "Stupid human. Asking me of things and such." Nevith muttered to himself, watching the trail once more before he began to retire for the night. He couldn't help but be a bit excited though about these human delicacies. And oddly, for when she next returned. He briefly wondered when it would be. Would it be anytime soon...?

The next morning, it was a far more enjoyable morning. The kingdom wasn't under attack, and many of the servants were continuing on with their normal duties. The only thing that seemed different this morning was the sound of hammers and picks. Repairs were being made to the castle in response to the damage caused by Alabastor's trebuchet. Masons were working hard to craft a more sturdy section of the wall, and occasionally in the hallways, a soldier could be seen carting off blocks of stone. Shouts of directions and commands were being ordered, ensuring that the repairs ran smoothly. Bishop had entered his daughter's room as she would wake.

"Good morning, Elena." The man began, smiling. "I trust you slept well?" The man pulled away the curtains to her room, allowing sunshine to paint the stone floor as he sat down beside her bed. He rubbed his chin, looking to Elena curiously. "Hm, Elena, what are you thoughts on this war?" It was a sudden question, but he did ask it with seriousness. Apparently, there was something upon his mind.

She didn't look back. She just shook her head a bit. Men were all the same. They loved you one moment and then they were ordering you around. But she didn't let it bother her. The dragon was teh first person that she could talk openly with and she enjoyed her time with them. She woke up to her father walking in. She groaned and raised her arms above her head and yawned. She stretched her legs out and looked at him and blinked and looked up and then confused and sat up excitedly and looked at him.

"Truly? You're asking my opinion? I feel like its a squabble and all are vying for greed. I wish we could all get along, but Istill remain true to my thoughts that we should employ the help of a dragon." She looked at him and bit her lip.

Bishop listened to her words, and he smiled at her thoughts. In his opinion as well, the war truly was based off greed. Something started by Alabastor. It was after their increasing population and immigrants from other lands that they had decided to embrace war as a solution to their population problem. No, perhaps they were always ready to get into a spat with both Providence and Westmarch. After all, their king was rather young and ambitious. It did not help that he was rumored to be of pirate heritage. With how he acted, it seemed more likely that he truly was a pirate.

However, the king let loose a sigh upon hearing Elena's words about a dragon. "You say that the war is feeble squabble and that we are all vying for greed. Dragons are creatures of greed themselves, my daughter. How can we enlist the aid of one when it could easily be swayed? They are not loyal. Shimmer a jewel to them, and they roll over." Bishop said venomously and shook his head. "We could easily lose our ally to Westmarch, even Alabastor. I am open for options, Elena, but that is not a viable one in the slightest."

A tired hand reached out to caress her cheek, a small smile upon his lips. "We may be a smaller kingdom, but we are not without strength and valor. We will prevail." And though he tried to assure Elena, it seemed that he was the one in need of assurance as his eyes betrayed uncertainty in his own words. "Though, speaking of options... While peace between the kingdoms may not be within the near future, I am looking into alliances with neighboring towns and cities that have no allegiance. Even better, some of them have been fending off the oppressive grasp of Alabastor. We may be able to make allies of them. But, we would need a royal figure to represent us."

Looking seriously into Elena's eyes, Bishop gently squeezed her shoulder. "You... will have to represent Providence."

She sighed and then looked at her father. When he spoke of what he was planning on doing, she grinned looking at him. "On one condition, if a dragon shows up again, unless it attacks us directly, you will not attack it. No offense, but right now we need all the help we can get. And if the gods want to send us help in the guise of a dragon, who are we to turn it away."

She put her hand over her fathers and gripped it and smiled and nodded. "Alright, when do I leave and where do I go?" She got up and stepped behind her curtain and pulled on a dress and slipped on her boots. She began to wonder how long she would have to tell Nevith she was leaving. She then stepped out and kissed her fathers cheek and took his hand and left her room and looked at him.

A chuckle left the old king's lips, shaking his head at his daughter. "Good heavens, girl, your fascination with those overgrown lizards has never died down since you were little." He let out a sigh, thinking about the old days when he did have to worry about fathering a nation. Where the only people he had to take care of was a wife and a daughter. Seeing her go to dress, the king rubbed his jaw. "Elena, that dragon attacked our own men as well. Yes, it did not kill them, but many of them were injured deeply. I do not intend to jump into a scuffle with a live dragon, but its presence near my men and my kingdom is frightening news. And it is unsettling. I will make every effort I can to protect my people." He told her, watching her walk out as he sighed. "... But, I suppose I will count my blessings. Just know that if I foresee dangers with a dragon in the future, I will not hesitate to take proper action."

The girl was rather eager, it seemed, for her new role. Elena really did want to work for the kingdom and see to its well being? It brought a smile to Bishop's face, and for the moment, he put the silly dragon nonsense behind him. He chuckled as they walked out of her room, down the hall as he told her to wait. She didn't even know where she was going! "Of course, you will not be leaving alone. There is one township that I would like you to visit first. They have no militia or weapons, but they have an excellent vantage point between the three kingdoms." He explained, stopping their walk for a moment to bring them to the balcony. They passed a large dining hall that led to it, and once outside, he walked to the edge and looked over their walls. It was impossible to see, but he looked off into the distance where the town would be. "Thankfully, these are people that simply ask for protection in the event that Westmarch or Alabastor give them trouble. We will happily provide for them in that regard. Now, there are other places I would like you to visit, but since this is a new task for you, I would like you to take it in strides."

Bishop walked with his daughter back into the castle, but they soon made their way down and out to the stables. Not even a minute into walking in, a stable hand pulled a horse over to Elena. It was strapped with a comfy saddle, but more importantly, several satchels containing documents from Bishop himself. "These parchments hold the details of our agreements. I need you to deliver them safe and sound, as well as answer any questions. I can only hope that they are an easy audience, my dear. Diplomacy is just as much as a battle as war is." He warned her, leaning in to kiss both cheeks. He gave her a small smile, his eyes glowing with concern. "You may leave whenever, but please seek the royal guards by the front gates. They will travel with you." Simply two guards, but finer ones in all of Providence. They were noted for their cleaning, more regal looking armor, more than likely not decorated soldiers from this war and previous ones.

Elena smiled and then nodded. Even though she wanted to bounce up and down and clap her hands excitedly. She was finally given a job by her father the king. Looking at him she kissed his cheek and held him close and smiled.

"Thank you daddy, I will not let you down." She nodded and then moved to her horse and climbed on. She pulled up the reins and nudged the horse forward. Looking up at the dragons mountain, she frowned a bit. The dragon was not happy with her when she left. She was not sure why he was suddenly so upset, but she thought it was best to leave him alone for now. She then waved to her father and urged the horse forward towards the gates and smiled looking at the guards.

"I was told to come and tell you that I will be travelling. My father requests that I have accompaniment." She smiled and looekd at him and grinned wider.

Bishop simply nodded as he watched his daughter trotting away towards the main gates. Providence, as such a small nation, needed allies. They would not get any out of Westmarch and Alabastor, but there were many townships and smaller cities that remained loyal to no one. This didn't mean they would turn down an offer if t appeased the leaders there. Bishop could only hope that promises of safety or a common cause against Alabastor and Westmarch would be enough. Otherwise, Providence would continue to struggle with the war, no matter what.

The two royal guards nodded gently, armored up professionally, each with a long sword upon their hips. "Aye, m'lady. We shall ensure you safe travel to the town of Helmswood, just south past the Willowbrook Forest. We heard news from merchants that the forest has been seeing increased goblin activity. It would be much safer to travel around the forest, but that would equate to a travel time of an entire day." One of the guards explained, adjusting the visor on his armored helmet. The other soon spoke up after his fellow guard.

"Helmswood is a clam town though. We expect no trouble there." He told her with an earnest smile. "And I see you are more than ready for the journey. Why waste daylight? Let us ride!" And with that, the three were set bounding off out of Providence. It took them little time to reach Willowbrook Forest, but during the ride, it was truly a gorgeous day. As much as the war was a terrible blight in these times, the constant presence on the fields and plains left common pests and beasts running off to hide somewhere. Elena and the guards were free to ride leisurely. One of the guards even removed his helmet to enjoy the breeze coursing through his blonde strands, sighing happily.

However, their rush through the plains became a slow trot the moment they entered the forest, both guards holding a hand upon the hilt of their swords. They were on either side of Elena, carefully watching the trees and bushes for foes.

Elena smiled and nodded and shifted pulling her cape close. She leaned back and sighed as the ride began to be slow and everyone began to grow wary. She looked up wondering if she should of told her dragon that she was going to leave. Shaking herself, she growled to herself. No the dragon had been upset with her when she had left. She had overstepped some invisible barrier and she did not want to do that any time soon.

She looked at he men and smiled.

For a while, it seemed like a thick silence washed over the three of them. Both guards were on edge, cautious that the princess's life was thrust into the path of danger. Providence guards and soldiers were loyal to their king and royalty, for the royalty took care of its people. They always have, and they knew they always would. So it was no difficult decision for men like these two to be prepared to lay down their lives in the name of the king or princess. But even before that, they would gladly give the fiercest fight they could ever give while fending off any foe.

After the cloud of uneasiness passed, the men visibly relaxed, looking over to one another with a light nod. They were still prepared, but being too tense would cloud their judgement. One of the guards even broke the silence first. "So Princess, what do you think of this dragon nonsense?" He began, looking to her. "Such as the other day. Most of the townsfolk were frightened beyond imagination, but there are some people whispering that the dragon was a god send. That we were blessed by divine intervention to aid Providence in its time of need."

This earned a laugh from the other guard, who appeared to be older. His laugh was unbelieving, like the younger guard had told some humorous tale that was impossible to believe to be true. "Good Lord, you believe them, Peter? A dragon? Sent to us from the heavens?" The older guard laughed again before shaking his head. "We were simply lucky. I cannot believe that we got out ourselves unscathed, but there is no telling what a dragon is thinking. We could have been its lunch if it did not seem bored with us. I, for one, did not intend to find out."

They both seemed to bicker back and forth, and while Peter did not necessarily say he believed in the religious aspect of it, he himself seemed a bit grateful of the dragon's intervention. The older guard (who Elena would hear is named Theodore) still cast out that the dragon was a bit of a menace. But he couldn't disprove that Nevith saved their hides. "What do you think, Princess?" Came Peter's query once more.

She looked back at the two men and smiled. "I was taught by my wet nurses that dragons were always a blessing and were to be honored and respected above all things. Dragons are a messenger of the gods." She smiled and nodded to teh guard who was in favor of the dragons. She then shook her head and rode with them. She then looked up and grinned.

"Or one of our barbarian soldiers could have sent a gift to the dragon to simply ask for help in our plight." She smiled and then continued to ride.

That remark earned a rather pleased smile from Peter, who slapped Theodore upon his metal plated chest. "Oi, see that old man? You should be singing the same song of our fair princess." He told the older soldier, who simply gave a light grunt at the slap. Although, they both looked to Elena when she made the wild musing of a soldier paying a visit and offering the dragon a gift. Aid? From a dragon? "Aye, m'lady, now that is rather peculiar. As much as the draconic intervention was a blessing to us, can those beasts be negotiated with? I mean not to sound ungrateful, but we humans are rather sought out as a meal for these creatures." Peter said with a bit of curiosity. He actually wanted to know if a dragon could be talked down to. Though Theodore gave a clear of his throat.

"My grandfather told me that before the war nonsense, there was a bit of a dragon problem across the land. It was believed it all started because a greedy noble from Westmarch refused to honor a deal set in plaace." He began, trotting along through the forest. "Grandfather swears up and down that he had talked to a dragon too. A young one, at that. He said those spoiled wyrmlings are the most pesky to deal with. Like a little street urchin... except with razor sharp teeth and fire for breath."

But for those that saw, Nevith did not use fire. Peter made note of this. "Oi Theodore, what about that lightning the dragon spewed from its muzzle? I thought the tales said dragons breathed fire."

The older soldier shook his head, looking to them both now. "There are many types of dragons, and even some that never leave the sea. All the elements that we know of, a dragon can be attuned to it. Fire, ice, lightning, venomous gas... there could be even more we fail to know of."

Peter gave an awed coo, obviously sharing the Princess's same wonder for dragons. He parted his lips to inquire further, but suddenly a black, soot covered arrow flew from the bushes and struck his arm, stabbing deep. He grunted and let loose a sharp yell of pain. "Blasted...! Where is it? We are under attack!"

"Protect the Princess, draw your sword!" Theodore unsheathed the ringing blade, gazing around them as a small pack of goblin archers and grunts leapt from the bushes, snickering and cackling like they were known for as they let loose arrow after arrow. Even one at Elena! "Princess, duck!" He called out, grabbing Elena close and pulling her down, narrowly avoiding an arrow to the neck.

Back
Top Bottom