Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

(loneiysong) Dealing with Dragons (MaximalCrazy)

MaximalCrazy

Super-Earth
The continent of Bastien was a large land that sheltered hundreds of thousands of beings, millions even. It was home to beasts of legend and annoying pests. Goblins roamed in caves or hid within the brush of forests, waiting to poach upon passing merchant caravans or foolhardy adventurers. Larger beasts like chimera were things of story, but could be see soaring through the crystal blue skies, roaring and screeching fiercely and letting its voice carry for miles on end. Even the seas were rumored to house great sea creatures that sailors and pirates often told stories of, like the great and mighty Leviathan. But as numerous as these creatures and beasts were, even greater numbers of humans dotted Bastien's surface in small townships and cities. Many were located in several large, powerful kingdoms that split Bastien into thirds, thus casting into a grand scale war that shattered the peace between said kingdoms many moons ago.

Alabastor, known as the Sea Kingdom, occupied the southern point of Bastien. It was strategically located within the peninsula, able to focus a great deal of its power within naval combat and for a time, it protected Bastien against foreign invaders. Alabastor's people knew of a life at sea, many of those people fishermen or naval soldiers. Even if some remained anchored on land, they were prepared to call the sea their home. Alabastor also controlled nearly most of the trade handled by sea and boat during times of peace long ago, and even if remote ports within the rival kingdoms had long been captured or destroyed, the many ports they did hold still held a firm grip on sea trade routes. And despite their focus at sea, the kingdom had a large force, mainly a militia that protected their home fiercely. They may have lacked proper military structure, but they all shared in one common goal to protect Alabastor.

The Kingdom of Nobility, Westmarch, was a much smaller nation, but surprisingly formidable in army size and wealth in comparison to its two foes. Appropriately located along the western edge of Bastien, partly surrounded by mountains, Westmarch is known for a population that boasts wealth and fame. Every citizen is well-educated, some artisans of a particular craft or a virtuoso of an instrument. Its army is comprised of well-trained, athletic and intelligent soldiers who head on to the battlefield with unshakable will and valor. And its government is sophisticated and well structured. Its citizens are taken care of and provided for, crime is at an all time low, and if there ever exists a dispute, it is handled diplomatically with healthy debate and discussion. It is also of note that Westmarch joined the war last, seeking to remain neutral. However, it was when Alabastor attempted to take the life of of one of Westmarch's key political figures that they quickly stepped into the fray.

Finally, the Kingdom of Radiance takes the final slot. Dubbed after its first founder, Arthur Providence, the kingdom known as Providence has seen the most difficulties during the war. It was known to be a rather holy kingdom, but also accepted all. There were some from both Westmarch and Alabastor that came to Providence for one reason or another. Perhaps there were conflicts within a royal family. Maybe a pirate was escaping Alabastor and seeking a new start in life. Whatever the reason may be, Providence was the kingdom that housed the neglected and rejected, and it built a strong community and family of strangers. The Providence lineage ruled with benevolence and justice, but it could only get them so far. A kinder hand led to some unrest of citizens thinking their own rights and powers earned them more. A more cautious approach towards diplomatic items and political business left the government in disagreement, their standing within Bastien beneath Westmarch and Alabastor.

However, with the crowning of the new king, King Bishop III, he began to take a firmer role as leader. There was much to work on within the kingdom, but due to Alabastor's greed and thirst for conquest, King Bishop had no choice but to respond with military action. The war began shortly after Bishop was crowned, and the kingdom of Providence has been strung left and right. Members of the royal family, even the women, have been taking up duties that test their limits. But slowly, Providence's people have come to focus more on protecting their nation. Especially as Alabastor's larger force appears to be pushing back the untrained and weaker forces of Providence. If not for Westmarch's involvement, Providence would be in flames.

---------------------------------------------------------------​

"Gods damn!" A hard fist crashed against the wooden table within the strategy room within the castle. Before King Bishop III stood several generals, all of which had downcast expressions, unable to face their king with the news they brought. "... How far out?"

"... A full day's march, sir." The eldest of the generals replied, his voice trembling as his brow glistened with sweat. He had been the one to lead the platoon to intercept the enemy. And the Alabastor force was... it was too large. They barely escaped with the skin on their backs! To have tried to go head to head with an army so vast, an army so hungry for war? Providence's Valiant Army wouldn't be able to hold them back for a second. They were all doomed.

"A day... a day..." The King muttered to himself, falling back into his seat. The man was in his 40's, but his grey hairs truly grew out when he became king, and his face looked tired and stressed beyond comprehension. There was gloom after gloom within this war, and they seemed to be losing troops faster than they could put more on the battlefield. Their population was rather high, but they would need a miracle to push such a violent force back. "We need to bolster our defenses. The walls are strong and solid. The Alabastor soldiers will spend days on end trying to tear down our walls. Meanwhile, we will pick them off from above. That's what we'll do." Bishop said with uncertainty, and his generals looked on at him. They knew their lord was beyond scared. They were all scared, but for a man to keep trying to lead them during such a tragic and trying time, they respected him.

"Yes sir!"

As they left, Bishop fell back into his seat, staring out at the map laid out, the kingdom of Providence slowly being closed on by the Alabastor forces. He feared not only for his people, but for his daughter, the Princess. She was his most precious treasure, a girl he wanted to make proud. And yet he could barely keep this kingdom alive. He gave her the best he could, tried to give her a utopia on earth with Providence. Some tutors from Westmarch were hired to tutor her. He often gave her freedom to enjoy her walks through town, even procured her a magnificent stallion. Bishop tried to give her the world, and now they were fighting everyone else in that world. A calloused hand rubbed at his forehead and eyes, sighing deeply. "What am I to do...?"

Princess Elena hid behind one of the hidden walls, listening. Looking through a tapestries she saw the worry on her fathers face. Constantly, she came to him and spoke to him of the dragon that lived in Westmarch. But whenever she brought up the fact, her father laughed and shook his head saying that if such a creature did exist, he would be fine on his own. Pulling her robes tighter, she put her hand on the wall and prayed to the gods she was taught about and prayed that she would get to the feared cliff in time to save her father and his health. Turning, she moved out of the shadows of the hall and into her room and began to pull down her riding leathers. Taking off her dressing gowns for the night, she began to dress in her leathers that made her look like a common peasant or merchant. She would borrow her friend Maria, a squire, horse.

Dressing and pulling her black hair back, she put on her cap and stuffed a satchel full of jewels she had saved for a rainy day. Walking down to the stables, she saddled the simple mare and scrawled a quick note to her friend and set it in the riding saddle that never did fit her. Jumping up on Thunderclap, she took off running hard and fast covered by the shroud of dark praying she could reach the cliff that was not too far before the army came. She rode hard and fast and continued to pray.

She had reached the cave in record time and lit a torch and bowed showing respect to an ancient power that was long revered and respected. Standing up, she slowly moved forward and looked around inside. "Dragon? It is I, Princess Elena. I have come beseeching your help." She shivered. It was a cold night, and she was afraid of the dragon that she knew lived in this area.

The guise of night covered her tracks, and along her path, she could ride without interruption. The cave itself looked ominous and uninviting, the air seeming even colder within to the point where the guest of the cave could see her own breath before her. Water dripped from the cave's ceiling, some droplets sizzling in submission to the flame upon her torch. Stalagmites dotted the interior of the cafe, some hanging dangerously from above as they continued to drip water on to the cave floor. One could at least be thankful that the cave didn't reek of some foul stench or decaying carcass, although as the Princess progressed further in, an animal's bones lay in a chewed mess against the cavern wall. The bones were pearly white, picked clean by some hungry beast. And considering what beast the Princess knew of, such a feat would be easy for it.

Her call for help was first met with complete silence. She only had the dancing flame and embers as her only company. Suddenly though, a scaled face and muzzle came out from the darkness and crossed her personal boundaries, a pair of dark, emerald green eyes with a slitted iris in each staring upon the face of the human who dared trespass in his home. A single growl that released a sound of displeasure came from the beast's throat, its head rearing back as the Princess's torch would catch a clawed arm raise up and them slam into the ground. Instantly, several torches along the wall came to life, bursting into flames and lighting the large room that was the dragon's nest. Immediately, shimmering coins dotted the ground along with jewels and sealed chests. Platinum pieces, silver trinkets and goblets, diamond and ruby jewelry, any sort of treasure imaginable was scattered upon the floor. Yet, considering the vast size of the room, to any other dragon, this treasure trove was laughable and pathetic. And still, the mighty dragon before her guarded it and took pride in it.

Said dragon was like a giant in comparison to her size. It remained on all fours, a slender neck topped off with a rather large, broad head. Its horns were straightened back, though curved ever so slightly at its tips. Its scale were a magnificent white, almost silver. His torso was packed with draconic muscle, no doubt heavy and capable of crushing a human to a pulp with all that weight. Wings sprouted from his upper back, stretching out widely with black, webbed membrane between the bones. And finally, a thick, long tail rested upon the ground, its tip idly wagging like that of a feline's with minimum interest.

"A human? Coming to me for help?" Its muzzle parted to speak in such a condescending tone, eyes narrowing in boredom. It even had the nerve to yawn before her, making no attempt to cover its mouth. "Oh how the times have taken such a humorous turn to grant me the audience of human princess, begging me for aid. Hah." The tall beast reared its head in a scoff, leaning in again, the reflection of her torch shimmering in his eyes. "I jest, Princess Elena. I am far from amused, and you have roused me from my slumber. It is already a nuisance that I have to deal with you bickering humans and your petty war." He sneered, pulling back and soon laying down, wrapping his tail around his form and looking away from her.

"I even lack the blood lust to devour you on the spot." He said, his wing unfurling and making a 'shoo' motion. "Be gone. I was having the most delicious dream of a farm filled with meaty cows."

Looking up, she felt her heart race seeing the dragon finally appear before her. It shone in the darkness, the princess remained where she was. Soon she could see his eyes and looked back biting her lip. The growl itself seemed to wrap around her throat. Swallowing, she attempted to fill her lungs full of oxygen. The ground shook and trembled at the slam of the arm and she widened her stance to keep from toppling. Looking up to the dragon, she frowned. The dragon was young, she could tell by its hoarde, older dragons had deep caves filled to the walls with gold. Older dragons...how young was this one? She gripped the strap of her satchel watching the dragon and frowned. She endured the insults, swallowing down the glowing ember of rage. She needed help, and a dragon was the only one who could keep her people, her father safe.

"Dragon, I will not be dismissed. I have paid you proper homage, I have given you all the respect you deserve, hear me out. The army marching towards my kingdom seeks to kill my father. I care naught for my life, but he can have many more children and daughters. I brought payment. I will bring you anything dragon, please." She moved before his face and knelt and frowned. "Dragon, do what you wish, but I will not leave until you tell me why you wont help. Tell me what it will take to help us. I will provide anything, please." She said again and looked down.

The single hope to saving her people and father shut his eyes, giving a content sigh as for a moment there was no response from her. However, he soon heard the tiny human woman speak, and then position herself back in front of his face. A lone eye opened up, immediately seeing her frowning features, as well as catching an earful of her plea. Proper homage? Respect? Maybe so, but the dragon was free to decline such a simple begging. Royalty or not, this human couldn't possibly give him anything that would appease him. "Human, you try my patience." He said in annoyance, lifting his head but not the rest of his body. Those steely eyes glared at her, ready to toss her out if need be. This dragon wouldn't waste anymore of his time with this woman if she continued to persist in keeping him from his well deserved rest. "Why won't I help you? Hmph, why should I, is a better question to ask. I fly out and take care of this frivolous army of men and spears, clean through them, and then what? Oh, perhaps I shall receive commendations from your kingdom! I'll be a decorated war veteran, hm?"

The dragon stood now as he became impatient. "I do some pitiful dirty work, and then you dirty humans will turn your back on me. Stab me in the back even!" He roared. "And another thin-" The dragon suddenly stepped, his eyes laying upon the satchel wrapped around the tiny woman's form. Eyeing the rest of her, she didn't seem like she had much. In fact, Elena looked like a filthy peasant that worked a stable. Smelled like a horse too. That satchel though spoke volumes to him however. So without waiting for permission, the dragon leaned in to snatch the satchel. Razor sharp teeth cut through the leather with straps with ease, sending it, along with its contents upon the rocky floor. The jewels that came out made the dragon's eyes widen, seeing them sparkle magnificently. So she was royalty! These kinds of jewels, these weren't some mere jeweler or goldsmith's work. No, these were crafted by the finest hands for a kingdom. A quick turn of his head noticed that his collection of treasure was rather... modest. He stared at the jewels once more, then finally those eyes settled back upon her.

Almost with a bolt of energy, the dragon sat upon his hind legs and rear end, his tail tip now nodding up and down a bit more eagerly, though the rest of the dragon was calm and professional. "Well, I suppose you have paid me proper homage now." Came the beast's response. "Let us begin anew, hm?" The dragon grinned, his tail circling about the jewels ever so slowly, trying to snatch them up as his greed go the better of him. "You stand within the presence of the almighty Nevith Longtail. I won't have you referring to me as simply Dragon, so be honored that I allow you the grace to refer to me by my name, Princess Elena."

Nevith's eyes narrowed at the woman. Even if she truly was a princess, he would not grant her any formality or respect. After all, she was the one who entered his domain. Here, human royalty didn't mean anything other than that she had more access to more jewels and treasure. "An army approaches you and your father, as well as the kingdom. Such a shame. By the sound of your concern, you and your people do not stand the slightest chance to survive..." He mused, holding his head up high. However, his muzzle twisted into a cocky grin. "Though, imagine what atrocious luck that attacking might have if per se... a dragon were to intervene on the battlefield, hm? This payment will suffice... for now. But I expect more if you hope that your kingdom's army does not suffer the same fate, Princess."

She growled growing impatient. She was about to open her mouth after yet another refusal, when the dragons eyes moved to the satchel and cut the strap from her body before she could do anything. She chuckled a bit to herself as the dragon instantly changed his tune as the jewels she didn't even favor came almost skipping out of her satchel. His eyes were hungry. She knew that this dragon had a price. A very payable price. Crossing her arms, she looked at the dragon and laughed.

"Of course, let us start anew Master Longtail." She said stepping back and doing a grand curtsy to the dragon. She moved and sat before the dragon and curled her legs under her and watched him. She nodded. "Every service you do for my father and his army, you can be expected to be paid no later than that night. But this comes with a small catch, Master Longtail. You must never act in bold support of my father's army. He knows not that I am here, and if you were to overtly act for us, I would surely get in trouble." She bit her lip not admitting that she had long since wanted to come to him and ask him his help. "So, if you do not mind Master Longtail, I would perfer you to act under the anonymity of a dragon simply wanting to throw his hand in the lot." She tapped her chin wondering if the dragon would accept this.

Her chuckle brought forth a defensive growl in her direction, though Elena quickly became comfortable with their situation. It was clear that Nevith had been in need of treasures. All sorts of jewels, coins, and the lot to increase his collection. Nevith wanted a large stash - nay! - a giant pile frothing over with golden coins, mountains of diamonds, rubies, and emeralds, heavy treasure chests that even he would struggle to carry! An elder dragon was greedy, but often had much that would speak of how greedy it truly was. A young dragon like Nevith would have much to prove. Even if this was a tiny payment in the eyes of elder dragons, to Nevith, this was the start to furthering his fortune. Even if it meant dealing with a human instead of simply taking it.

Master Longtail? Yes, that sounded like the perfect name for him. Nevith simply grinned further and puffed out his chest, sitting there tall and proud. "Excellent, Princess. You're already off to a good start." He murred out, listening to her words now. Ah yes, technically he was being hired, even if he was the master here. So, Nevith took into account what she began describing, especially the terms of his payment. He gave a bit of a disapproving glance at that, but even he knew for a business dealing, getting paid in advance would be very difficult. So for the moment, this dragon would have to play nice. "Hmph, I wouldn't ally myself under a human's flag. You need not remind me." Nevith stated bluntly before letting her carry on. Her explanation made sense though. From a strategic position, he couldn't make it appear like he was choosing sides. It would lead to questions, and no doubt he would be hunted. By both sides no doubt. The dragon dwelt upon his thoughts for the moment.

"If I were your enemy, and I were to witness a dragon standing alongside my enemies, that would only warrant further action from my forces. No doubt the war would become increasingly difficult for your kingdom." He thought aloud, looking down to her. "You must be aware though, by asking this, your father's troops will need to sustain some damage as well. After all, I need to play the part of a feral dragon well, Princess." Nevith stretched out his wings a bit, still shaking the sleep from his form as his form shook a bit. Not from the cold, but simply shaking out said sleep as well. "How much time do we have?"

Elena smiled seeing the dragon puff out. A quickest way to sooth a dragons ego was to give them a title. Hell, all men were alike werent they. Hadn't she named her own stallion Duke Ellington? She cleared her throat and nodded and chuckled. Watching him she listened to his words of insight. She nodded gently. "Right, I am not asking you to fight our battles, just make sure that the fight remains fair. And no harm can come to my father." She nodded. Hearing him ask about time, she frowned and rubbed her head.

"I heard my fathers men say that they had a day when I began my journey, so less than that." She stood up and then moved to the mouth of the cave and looked out as if she would be able to see the advancement of the people. The moon still hung in teh sky over a sleepy little forest where only hunters were currently hunting their prey. Turning to the dragon. "Master Longtail, I will uphold my side of our bargain as long as you uphold yours. After this time, if we survive, I will always revere your name and you shall be honored amongst me and my children." She moved to him and nodded. "Is there anything else you wish to ask Magnificent one?"

To shift the fight into a fair battle, that would reveal that her father's troops were either smaller in numbers or not as well trained as those of their enemies. Having watched over the war some, Nevith then had a good idea of what kingdom Princess Elena belonged to. For lack of sensitivity, she belonged to that of Providence. It was such a weak nation, its affairs scattered within its borders. There was unrest, disputes, crime. Humans were rather complex creatures, even more so than the greed of a dragon. Nevith, he needed only a few things really. Food, water, and gold. And jewels. And more gold. Perhaps a dragon was a bit more needy than what Nevith had given first thought into. Nevertheless, it did make him grin with glee whenever he first began stockpiling his treasures. He took up the jewels she offered and set them into a somewhat filled chest. That would do nicely for now.

"I shall make due with what I have to work with. Should any harm come to your father, it will be either be due to his own folly, or the frailness of an old body." A quick snort of his nostrils before he continued. "Nevertheless, I understand what you have asked of me, and your request will be answered by Master Longtail." Oh, Elena sure knew how to butter this dragon up. He ate it all up, every compliment and praise and worship that she would give him. And he did so with that same, overconfident grin upon his muzzle. "Your praise is duly noted. You already sound like a fine mother, teaching your children who to revere and worship. You are beginning to warm up to me, Princess. Keep providing me with jewels and gold, and we shall see to a blossoming partnership." Nevith said to her, walking further into the cave. It seemed that they were mostly done. That was good, he was looking forward to that cow dream.

"Ah yes." The dragon suddenly turned around to look at her once more. "What intimidating force am I dealing with? Westmarch? Alabastor? I'd like to know if some of my human snacks will be sea delicacies or a pile of crunchy metal."

She nodded and then looked at him. She did not expect any showing of tenderness or love amongst family from the dragon. She bit her lip and bowed to the dragon once she turned back. "Thank you Master Longtail." She nodded and then looked at him and smiled. "Then this partnership will be far reaching and long lived." She smiled and then watched him go. She was collecting her things together when the dragon stopped and turned back to her. Looking into the darkness she chuckled softly.

"Why Master Longtail, you will be dining on the fine sea delicacies of the Alabastor. I hope your fest is great and plentiful. Oh yes, when you demand payment, send a letter to me directly. i shall come to you that night with payment. This is incase you provide a service that I do not hear about. Because gods and dragons know that no one tells a princess of the goings on. Sleep well fair Longtail." Turning with a final bow, she exited the cave.

She suddenly felt so incredibly tired. Walking down to the horse of her friend, she got on and rode home. She had to get back before anyone noticed she was gone. Putting the horse away and rubbing it down, she moved quietly to her room and took off her armor and leathers and laid back in bed curling amongst the warmth and shut her eyes knowing that her father and her would live several days more. She looked up at the moon. "Thank you again Longtail." She whispered before falling asleep.

The Alabastor people, hm? They always had a fishy taste, but it had been far too long since this dragon sunk his teeth into some Alabastor cuisine. He'd make sure to enjoy himself then, already letting his thoughts settle on to a new dream.He could already imagining himself feasting upon the carcasses of dead Alabastor soldiers, knowing that if the force was large enough, it would surely outdo his nighttime visions of bovines within a pasture. The dragon simply snickered at his thoughts, giving one last glance to the princess. He scoffed at her instructions for payment. She was lucky that he learned magic as a wyrmling. How could she expect him to write a letter with these large claws of his? It would be so much easier to just swoop in and speak to her directly, but Princess Elena was one of the few that probably didn't flee at the sight of a large, overgrown lizard soaring through the air.

"I bid you good night, Princess Elena. Consider this threat of yours already dealt with." Nevith proclaimed proudly, soon climbing upon his small pile of gold coins. He curled himself up and wrapped his tail around him once more, the torches magically dimming themselves out before the cave was once more pitch black, and even his white scales were impossible to see. Moonlight barely crept within the cave too, and his treasure was out of sight as well. He listened to the horse gallop off, the dragon suddenly picking up his head at a thought he regretted not putting into words.

"Gods be damned. I should have demanded a horse next time she came here!"

The next morning, the skies were paved blue, white blotches of clouds scattering its smooth expanse here and there. A gentle wind swept into Elena's room and gently caressed her skin... and the loud ringing of the watchtower bells could be heard. Alabastor had come early! Whether Elena woke up immediately or took her time, both her father and a guard entered her room. Her father came to her bed side and would shake her awake. The castle would be safe, but there was something else that Alabastor brought with them that Providence generals were unaware of. Something that this castle would not fare well against if it took too much damage from it.

"Elena, wake up!" He hissed to her fearfully, shaking the girl still. "You need to get-" A loud crash shook the castle, toppling over her father as the guard braced against the doorway. Bishop cursed angrily as he pulled himself up, rubbing at the side of his head as it banged against the stone floor. "My daughter, awaken! We are under attack, and you must be brought to a safer part of the castle! Alabastor forces have arrived earlier than expected. I am only thankful that our watchmen spotted them the moment they came within sight." Bishop explained, soon going to her window to look out among the town and front gate. Said gate was slammed shut, its large wooden frame reinforced with iron plating to ward off the most persistent uninvited guests. Yet with a trebuchet outside their walls, Providence's walls couldn't hold back its annoying onslaught of boulders. Dirt and dust fell from the ceiling as another boulder struck the ground before the castle, shaking the earth it hit.

Bishop looked at his daughter gravely. He feared the worst... "Elena, one of the servants is preparing you a swift horse. If... If the worse is to befall Providence..." Bishop bit his lip and looked to the side for the moment, listening as men were shouting outside the castle, the battle cries of Alabastor forces off in the distance. And still, he couldn't bare to think of forcing Elena to flee. But he was thinking worse case scenario now. Even though, unbeknownst to him, they were planned to have an unexpected visitor.

Elena gasped as her father told her to wake up. She jerked up hearing the rumble about to curse the dragon in teh sky for being so clumsy. "What is it?" She leapt up pulling on a robe and looked out and frowned. The Alabastor forces were smart. She felt her stomach plumet and knew that Niveth would demand extra pay and she promised if she did survive, she would bring him extra gold tonight. She turned and grabbed a dress that she could travel in. She mvoed behind a wall and quickly moved into it and looked at her father.

"No, I understand." SHe sighed slipping on the boots and took her fathers hand and left the room and walked down the hall knowing where he would lead her and going there. She looked back and frowned shaking her head. "How did Alabastor hide such a hulking machine!" She growled and then looked around as they went into the safe room and then moved to the chair and sat down crossing her arms. She shook her head andl eaned her head back and rubbed her eyes and looked at her father who remained in the doorway.

"Do not worry, I will not stray from this spot until you come and tell me that the worse has happened." She sighed hoping that Nevith was as cocksure as he seemed in his cave.

The battle outside raged onward as the Alabastor forces took on a firm offensive, already dashing forward to claim the walls. Archers along them tried to pick off as many Alabastor soldiers as they could, but with only so many of them completely outnumbered by Alabastor, it was only a matter of time before soldiers were working on putting up wall ladders to ascend the wall and breach through. Providence's own swordsmen and spear men had their weapons drawn, ready to meet any enemies head on. Fear, though, was evident in their eyes. Alabastor's attacking army was vast and superior in training. How could Provdience's militia come anywhere near to such ferocity and skill. Yet still they pressed on. They were joined in a common goal to protect Providence and its people. Even Bishop, who had a firmer stance in ruling, still ruled for the people and fought for the people. So long as they held on to that goal, they would remain strong and steadfast. But, valor could only get them so far. Especially when outnumbered.

Bishop squeezed his daughter's hand, looking at her with great concern. "I do not know. Our scouts from yesterday afternoon failed to report about such a thing, and I know it could not have been brought so swiftly from Alabastor. Such a contraption takes many men to deliver." The King bit his lip in thought, rubbing his untrimmed chin, the war keeping his mind occupied and away from cleaning up the fuzz there. It was rough, yet rugged looking. It only made him seem older, however. "And seeing how far out it is, I fear reaching it and destroying it are two wildly impossible objectives." The battle seemed more and more grim, especially as another boulder hit the castle. Bishop managed to hold himself up during this attack.

"Gods! I must meet with the generals!" He looked to the guard in the safety room. "Tend to my daughter's requests if needed, but be prepared for battle." The guard answered back and saluted their king until Bishop had left the room, shutting the door behind him. Shouting could be heard, much louder this time, and there was another strike of the bell. The guard grimaced, clenching his weapon tightly. A second bell toll meant that the walls had been breached, and that the soldiers were doing battle with Alabastor on the walls now.

Meanwhile though, Nevith had taken to the skies, gazing down below as he saw the battle carry on. It would appear that he arrived late, or perhaps the timing given to him was a bit wrong. With a bit of a glare, he blamed his troubles on the latter. The official rectifications could remain for debate until after his task was done, so for now Nevith circled the forces above. He appeared to almost be like a flock of crows circling over a dead carcass, ready to feast. But he was reminded once more that he would have to play neutral. Though something told him that Elena would be rather annoyed if Providence soldiers were killed. He would have to do his best then to avoid the urge to kill them. Ugh, this was turning out to be a most difficult request.

Wasting no more time, the white dragon began a nose dive and quickly took notice of the strange wooden contraption that launched boulders at Providence's defenses, one such boulder hitting the castle. "How curious of a weapon. Man made marvels, I suppose." He mused as he decided to focus upon this device. With a grin, he saw the men around it. "A quick, easy set of morsels before I begin my fun." And with that, Nevith announced his entrance with a fierce roar, soon crushing the trebuchet and two men operating it. The last was suddenly snatched up between his jaws, a bone wrenching scream filling the air that caught the rear flank's attention.

The guard with Elena suddenly jumped upon hearing the roar. "W-What was that?!" He asked, peeking his head out of the doorway. There were no windows in the room, and his curiosity was burning. He looked back at the princess. "M'lady, was that a dragon? Is a dragon outside our walls?!"

She nodded and stepped forward and kissed her fathers cheek softly knowing that he was afraid. She was too. Even with a dragon in her cards, she was indeed afraid. It was unimaginable how her people felt. She moved back to her spot when her father left and waited leaning against a wall. Shutting her eyes, she sought to control her breathing. Hoping the wind was with Longtail. Hearing the roar, her eyes flew open and she stood up and looked at the guards and then back to the other guard who asked her and blinked.

"How should I know such things, I am in here with you. Unless I learned how to see outside stone, I have just a good a guess as you, but that is what it sounded like." She looked up and bit her lip. She had told Longtail what she wanted, and knew he would remain true to his word and that was all she could ask. She leaned her head against the wall and shut her eyes and continued to pray.

Battle sounds started to shift from violent and vicious to a more panicked tone. More of Nevith's roars could be heard, along with the dying screams and shouts of Alabastor men. It didn't take long however for one of the servants to pass by the room, and the guard that spoke with the princess stopped the young lad. "Boy! What's going on out there? Are my brothers fighting a dragon now?" The man asked in a hurry, and the servant just looked frightful, just as anyone might be when hearing such a frightening sound. The servant explained to them both about what was going on. Yes, indeed it was a dragon! The guard's eyes nearly popped out of his head upon hearing the nose, listening to the boy describe the dragon. It was taller than two men put together, and it was strong and fearsome. The only good news they might have had was the dragon had taking a liking to the trebuchet before. The guard sighed in relief. "At least we don't have to worry about that thing anymore..."

"Yeah, but we've got a dragon on the wall now!" Several soldiers from outside came to the guard and pulled him along. "Come on! The blasted wyrm keeps knocking our men back. A couple of them are hurt and are being pulled away. The gods must be smiling down on us for not having a single man killed yet, but those Alabastor bastards are running scared. I saw him eat one of them whole! No chewing at all!" One of the men wretched at the thought, but he pulled himself together. Another roar sent them into a fit, and they had all left. The guard charged with watching Elena had accidentally left her in the safety room alone. The servant excused himself from the princess's company, bowing to her and rushing off. At least even in fear, her servants were respectful to her.

Nevith was making quick work of Alabastor, doing his best to keep the injuries to Providence as minimal as possible, but even he couldn't keep some of those soldiers from experience rather painful blows or claw marks. 'Blasted woman...!' The dragon thought as he cleaved several Alabastor soldiers in two. 'This is far more work then those jewels would cover. Next time, I won't settle for less.' It was easy dealing with primitive sea men who used swords and spears and leather armor. Claws and razor sharp teeth could pierce leather easily. But when he thought about how large the force was, even Nevith knew he had his work cut out for him. At least they attacked him more than Providence soldiers. It gave him more reason to focus on them and appear angry. He even let some of their swords and spears strike him, though his tough scales protected him thoroughly.

'This is child's play. I waste my time with these simpletons.' A wide tail sweep drew distance between him and the two forces both in front of him and behind him. Rearing back up on his two legs, Nevith inhaled deeply and suddenly spewed out a breath of electricity. The arcs of lightning cut through a large platoon of Alabastor soldiers, killing them within its path before Nevith leapt off the wall and crashed upon the ground again, watching as the will to fight left the Alabastor forces. As he let loose another electric breath. Alabastor horns sounded for a retreat as Providence soldiers looked on. They spent what little time they had gathering their wound and dead, shouting in dire need for medical aid.

Bishop however, looked on from atop the castle's watch tower, armed with a ballista. "Gods, a dragon...!" He murmured, watching on as it chased at the Alabastor soldiers. It was only a matter of time, however, until that beast set its eyes upon Providence. "Arm the ballista!" He called out to the two soldiers with him. They would have to strike now to deter the beast! Alabastor was the least of their worries now.

Elena could not help but smile at herself when the dragon's good word came to her. The dragon would be paid handsomely. He would find a large chest in his possession. She left the room when the men left. She went to find her father. When she found him, he was ordering to arm the ballista. She looked out. Alabaster was retreating. She frowned wondering if it was the dragon, but no he was with the people. She had to think quickly. Running to her father, she gripped his arm.

"Father, stop. If we draw the dragons attention away from Alabaster, then we have the issue of both Alabaster and the dragon. If the dragon has done us no lasting harm, lets reward the fair dragon for his favor and let him be." She gripped his arm and looked at him. "The manpower that would be spent dealing with the ballista would be best spent tending to our dead and planning what to do should we see that machine return." She nodded looking at him and bit her lip. She hoped she could dissuade her father and get him to do something else so she could figure out how she was to carry teh dragon's pay.

Bishop had nearly jumped out of his skin when Elena had arrived, having watched as the dragon roared triumphantly as it slashed and consumed any stragglers. Alabastor forces were retreating far past where soldier eyes could see, though they would be celebrating later after that dragon left. Her father, however, looked to his daughter and patted his chest. "Gods child, you nearly gave my heart reason to jump out of my chest." It was a small bit of a joke, the least he could do to calm his nerves. Alabastor was taken care of, and that right now, was a blessing from the heavens. "I can't let that dragon set its eyes on us. I fear for our people, Elena." He at first responded, listening to the guards load in a large bolt into the ballista. But, upon hearing Elena's words further, she did prove a point for their wounded.

"Hold men." And right at the same time, Nevith laid eyes upon the ballista, along with the King and Princess. He didn't know what they were up to or planning, so he decided to bolt out of there. For what he knew, chances were that Elena was trying to make sure he didn't get skewered. Bishop seemed to sigh as the dragon flew off into the distance, soon out of range of the ballista, even he did want to shoot it down. His eyes landed upon Elena. "Some of our medics were hurt as well, so I would ask for your assistance as well. Forgive me of asking that of you. As for rewarding that beast, I am wary to do so. Perhaps we simply gained favors from the gods this one moment. I do not wish to lose men simply on an errand to deliver gold to the thing." He told her sternly, looking beneath the tower at the wounded.

Bishop let out a deep sigh for now and hugged his only daughter. "For now, let us focus on recovering, my dear. This is a victory, but still a costly one."

"No never, I agree." She smiled and then nodded. Looking around at the wounded men she nodded. "Of course I would help these men." She hugged her father and leaned in close. She nodded and then kissed his cheek. She then turned and went to help the wounded. She was well skilled at healing and teh arts of mending. She had a strong stomach and she was never afraid to lend a hand.

When she was excused, she yawned and stretched. Her night was far from over. Packing a bottle of the finest wine, she packed up several heavy bags of gold. She read that gold to dragons was like catnip to cats. She packed two large bags of straight gold. Moving to her horse, she got on her horse and then took off towards teh dragon's cave.

At the mouth of the cave, she raised the bottle of wine. "Master Longtail you were good to your word and more, tonight we will drink to both of our health and long friendship!" She was laden down with the bags of payment and shook off the bag of gold and tossed it at his feet and shrugged off the rest of the bags and sat down and groaned. "Thank you...again..."

The King gave her a warm smile and kissed her cheek back in return, rubbing her shoulders softly. "Thank you, Elena. I'll do what I can with the others as well." He informed her, and soon departed along with her in the opposite direction. He immediately met with the officers and generals, getting a quick debriefing of the battle and assessing damages. The castle was the main focus, one of the rooms having collapsed in, though thankfully vacant. Repairs would be needed to be handled when possible. The wall itself took little damage, though it appeared the gate watch tower was suffering fire damage. An Alabastor group had set the tower ablaze during their initial climb. It would need to be up and running again to help with guarding the main gate.

As night descended and Elena made it to the cave, Nevith appeared, white scales basking in the moonlight. "Oh? Wine? I simply held up my head of the bargain, though I shall not deny that was far more work than what I originally presumed was discussed. As well as your timing being off. A small inconvenience." He complained, grumbling a bit. But his tone did a complete 360 the moment the bags of gold hit the ground. His jaws carefully parted to take two bags within his maw, the other being hoisted up by his tail. The beast seemed to dash into his cave swiftly for a moment, dumping the contents as he watched the pile grow somewhat larger. Still, not very tall... but taller than before! Nevith soon reappeared at the mouth of cave once more, grinning widely with greedy delight.

He laid upon the ground as well, looking at the princess. "Yes, yes. Well when a formal request is made with payment dutifully provided, I am honor bound to fulfill your request." Nevith said in response, simply watching the woman tend to the bottle. "What do you have there, Princess?"

"Yes, well as I have said before, no one tells a princess much. And the information was a complete disaster." She growled herself and couldn't help but giggle as the dragon took off with the payment. Sitting back, she sighed. She would fall asleep once her head hit the pillow this night. Her sleep had been interrupted, her day long, and carrying the bags had not been an easy feat. Shifting, she looked up as the dragon came back. Reaching, she began to pull the cork from the bottle.

"This, my mighty warrior, is the best aged wine." She reached into her personal bag and pulled a finely decorated wooden goblet. She poured herself some and offered the bottle to the dragon. "Master longtail, do dragons drink wine?" She smiled looking to him.

Well, he supposed he couldn't scold her for something out of her control. For now, Nevith accepted the payment without further discussion or debate, and to him, the debt was paid in full. The dragon came back and saw her uncorking the bottle once more, eyeing it curiously. The scent that came from it was... hm, it was hard to pinpoint. But it wasn't a scent that he was familiar with it. A couple more sniffs, but Nevith furrowed his brow with confusion. "Wine?" He asked in confirmation, but then his mind recalled the human beverage that required some processing, and the fermenting of grapes. "Ah yes, wine. I recall that curious, human concoction." Nevith replied, shaking his head upon her question.

"I can say that I do not. Well, I have not, is more correct." As Elena offered it to him, his tail curled around it lightly, careful not to smash the battle with too much pressure. "However, I will try this wine." Bringing the bottle to his muzzle, he sniffed the scent from the source. Being so strong, Nevith pulled back just slightly. Oh boy, that was strong. Though, also somewhat tantalizing. He parted his muzzle and tipped the bottle up, allowing the rich liquid to pour into his maw and down his throat.

Suddenly, Nevith straightened the bottle and shivered, shaking his head a little. "H-Heavens, such an odd taste...!"

Watching, she let the dragon take the bottle. He had total tail control. That was interesting. Sitting back, she took a drink of her wine watching him. She smiled. "Wine is the drink of royalty." She toasted to him and drank some and giggled and shook ehr head. "Well maybe you might be an ale or mead man. Although, rumor has it that some of the great kings only drank milk. Maybe that is your choice beverage." She smiled and shook her head. "No crime in that." She nodded.

"So, Master Longtail, is there any type of treats that I can procure for you that you cannot? Like sweets perhaps? Maybe some cooked items?" She drank her wine and leaned forward looking at the beautiful creature before her. She wondered why people didn't work with dragons more often.

As Nevith listened to the woman explain what wine was to humans. A drink of royalty. So, it was some sort of symbol that one had rank in society. That was curious, and as such, Nevith believed that it was a drink befitting of him. "Tell me more about these drinks you humans make and such. Milk is something I am familiar with of course, but ale and mead? Is it like this wine that you have given me?" The dragon asked curiously and tipped the bottle up once more, taking another swig. Though it became apparent that he had gone through much of the bottle already. Aware that he still had a guest, he brought the bottle to Elena. "Princess, I failed to realize that I have taken more than my fair share of wine. Please." There was an odd sort of informality despite him calling her Princess. It truly did feel like he simply had a guest with him basking underneath the moonlight.

Elena's questions brought even more further curiosity to him. "Sweets? What are 'sweets'? Humans have such a strange set of cuisine. Why do you complicate things with so many options?" Nevith asked, not so much in insult, but his tone was ever curious. As if the dragon were attempting to learn more from Elena. "Cooked? Ah, is that when a dragon sets a creature on fire and then consumes them? Well, I do not possess a breath of fire, but I have seen other dragons do that." Nevith looked off to the side in thought. "... Perhaps I should request that from another dragon. I was not aware that there were such different ways to have one's food."

"No no, I should only have one glass. Besides, that was an extra thank you so it is yours." She smiled and waved him off and chuckled and then leaned back and crossed her legs thinking. "Mead is a more subtle of drink. More sweet. The monks usually make the best because they infuse it with honey and it tastes almost like candy. Now ale is more of a knights drink. I can't stand the taste of it. It is like someone condensed what they thought the smell of fresh yeast was and put it into a drink." She smiled and looked at him and then laughed and reached into her satchel knowing that she had to have somethign sweet.

Finding a small wrapped parcel, she unwrapped it to show a dark chocolate. "Monks also make this, but they are not from this land. Usually from Spain. This can also be made into a drink but i perfer it in the block form. It is called chocolate." She laughed and shook her head. "We humans like options. It spices up life." She smiled and offered him teh chocolate. "Next time, I will bring you some of the best bread from the kitchen. I love bread. Especially with some goats milk." She rolled her eyes back and groaned. "So delicious."

While she spoke, Nevith actually leaned in and listened intently. Since she didn't insist on another goblet of wine, he took it upon himself to drink it again. He drank it quickly though, for he felt that it was taking away from his attention. Humans had never interested him, to be quite frank. They were annoying, whiny, and they did nothing but war with one another. However, the things that Elena explained were so foreign to him. Did humans truly have such strange practices and culture? And she mentioned sweet? Hearing her speak of honey, Nevith recalled having broken upon a bee's hive, finding the gooey, sticky substance and taking a taste of it. So, was that what sweet was? "So, honey is sweet. Hmm..." From the sound of it, mead did sound like a good beverage. Ale? If Elena didn't like it, he wondered if it was a good basis to base his own liking of the beverage.

His eyes followed her hands as she soon pulled out a strange, darkish brown block of... well, something. He leaned in to sniff at it, and it had a very unique smell. Nothing he had smelled before. "So there is more to the land than Bastien? Ah, no... there are other lands?" Wait, what she said next about this 'chocolate' perplexed him. This solid thing could be turned into a liquid? He took the piece of chocolate and rolled it around his tongue before easily swallowing it. "This is not like honey. It has a pleasant taste like honey... perhaps even more so!" Nevith exclaimed. "It can be a drink? How queer. Is it like ice and water then?"

Bread and goats milk? So that must have been the warm liquid that he tasted at times when devouring a goat. "Very well, I look forward to bread and goats milk." He told her, though suddenly, his body went stiff. Rising to his feet, he went out further from the cave to look over the ledge, growling lightly. "Hmph, those Westmarch fools are playing with magic again. They seem to have learned better control over their elemental arts." Nevith mused, watching the Westmarch kingdom with curiosity.

Back
Top Bottom