Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Drowning in Sin (heartlesskitten x Kuro)

Vigi narrowed his eyes and flared his nostrils a bit. Part of him was elated to see that fire spark back to life, he didn't like seeing Cerdic so broken. However that conflicted with the part of him that was angered by the stab about his father and knowing slaves that talked back like this weren't allowed. He supposed as long as Cerdic didn't show such disrespect in public, it didn't matter how they spoke to each other in private. "Don't push it." Vigi warned him none the less.

He turned his attention to the water, trying to get past the conversation about religion and his father. Bringing him up now just made him think about Sven with his family, sitting in the great hall with their father and having a grand time with Sven's homecoming. It stung knowing he couldn't be part of that warm environment.

"I don't believe you." Vigi said, moving a bit to Cerdic's side and looking between him and the pool of water. "You can show me though." He smirked, putting his foot on Cerdic's shoulder and then pushing him into the deep pool with it. It was cold, but it was still summer so while the water would be unpleasant it wouldn't harm the man. "That is for bringing up my father." He said, standing at the edge and smirking down at the Christian.

Cerdic felt the shove but it surprised him and he could not catch himself. Gasping and sputtering he pushed himself up out of the water, swiping his dark wet hair out of his eyes, "That's a great way to scare off all the fish!"

With a huff, he waded to the shallower end, taking off the soaking tunic, muttering, "A fine way to treat new clothes."

He tossed on the grass before reaching down to pull off his water logged boots and throw them on the bank before rolling up his trousers. Cerdic stayed still, waiting for the water to settle. "If you don't fish this place, then they're stupid and won't be expecting it. I'll need to wait now for them to settle down."

The big Saxon watched the water as the silt settled and it became clear again, spotting silvery flashes of the fish darting around him. Slowly he moved, shuffling his feet and hunching over to let his fingers dangle in the water. Glancing up at Vigi, "It works better if I had a helper. Get over here and send the fish toward me since you scared them all."

Vigi merely grinned and drunk in the sight of Cerdic's well muscled torso glistening with water as it dripped down him like water falls off the mountains. "The clothes will dry, do not pout." He said, looking down into the clear water. There were a lot of chores that needed to be done that day, including planting seeds so his garden will be ready to harvest before winter. He was already pushing it as it was getting late into the season. But they would need food for tonight.

Vigi went over to where Cerdic instructed, kneeling by the edge of the pool and rolling up the sleeves of his tunic before slapping and splashing the water to scare the fish. He kept his eyes on Cerdic's hand, curious about how he intended to tickle a fish out of water.

His interest grew seeing a fish swim past Cerdic's fingers and he watched the man wiggle his fingers along the underside of the fish. The fish appeared to stop moving from the touch and after a few moments with quick reflexes, Cerdic pulled it from the water.

Vigi blinked a few times before he chuckled, smiling slightly as he stopped his splashing to let the fish settle back down. "You weren't lying, I am impressed. I've never heard of such a thing before. Where did you learn to do that?" He asked curiously, shifting so he was sitting rather than kneeling and facing Cerdic. He leaned back on one hand and placed his other hand back into the water to gently run his fingers through it, creating small wakes and whirlpools.

Cerdic clutched the large silvery trout then threw it up onto bank, quickly follwing it as he climbed ashore. The fish flopped and gasped in the grass as Cerdic found a stick, glancing at Vigi as he asked his questions. Ending the fish's life with one swift movement, impaling it with a thrust of the stick through it's mouth and out the tail, the monk thought over his answer. "I learned from my sister in law's brother, he was not just a noble man but he was a ranger, a woodsman and hunter of some renown. In our lands, it was thought of as rather odd but they were from the west, lands of wooded hills and mountains."

"Owain, was his name," he smiled sadly, picking up the dead fish on a stick and set it aside. "He was but a few years older than me when his sister Rhoswyn married Aelle, my eldest brother. I liked him right away, he was always quick with a jest and a smile but he was also thoughtful. He asked to be shown the wilds of Wessex, where my father made his home and I showed him. I spent many days riding and hunting with Owain...he showed me this trick to getting fish without anything but my hands. He was the best archer I've ever seen and yet he could also hold his own with a blade."

Blushing slightly, Cerdic caught himself, glancing guiltily at Vigi, "As you can tell, I admired him very much."

Clearing his throat, he looked out at the spring, "He was handsome too, black haired and deep dark eyes to drown in with a white smile and dimples. His skin was darker, he claimed his blood was of the old ones, the Britons that lived in those wild western hills even before the Romans or the Celts came. I believe him too, he was not a big man. Shorter than I, and wiry, but strong and fast. He could beat me in everything except wrestling."

Cerdic cocked a grin and raised his eyebrow before sighing deeply and his smile faded. He watched the waterfall for a few moments before speaking again, "I think I loved him. Which was the worst thing I could have done."

Vigi listened to Cerdic speak, watching his face as he spoke of the hunter Owain. He saw how his hard grey eyes grew soft thinking of the man. It reminded him of the expression his brother had made on their journey when he spoke of Dalla. Only sadder. He was surprised Cerdic was telling him as much as he was. Owain must've been very important to him.

"Loved him?" He repeated, tilting his head to the side slightly. "Do you mean the love of two brothers or something else?" He asked curiously. "Something that is normally felt between a man and a woman?" By the way he finished speaking of the hunter, he wondered if the man was still alive or perhaps dead from how melancholy Cerdic became. And what kind of relationship did they have?

Cerdic rubbed his hand over his mouth and bunched his shoulders, "I thought it was the love I had for my own brothers, but as we grew closer...I knew it was what I should have felt for a woman."

His throat ached and he bit down hard on his lower lip at the admission. Standing up abruptly, unable to keep still any longer, the big Saxon paced around unsure why he was telling his darkest sins to the man. Perhaps because he thought Vigi could relate, even if he didn't understand why it was so bad. Wrinkling his brow, he bit his thumbnail, his nervousness obvious. "I didn't realize it at first, I thought...something was wrong but Owain had the same feelings and we did not discuss it for a long time until..."

Cerdic paused, breathing a shaking breath and then waved his hand, "I'd better try and get another fish."

Vigi stood up as well, looking at Cerdic with wide surprised eyes. "No, do not try to change the subject.” He said, completely unimpressed with the attempt to get away from the topic at hand.

“How...I don't understand, how is that possible?" He asked, stunned with the confession that Cerdic had loved another man. "How do you know that you loved him? That he loved you? Are you sure it was not just lust?" He had once told the priest that he had wanted to believe that love could exist between two men, but it had always felt like a childish wish.

He had met the two women that loved each other during his travels, but they had been women. They were far more loving creatures than men and they did not have the same prejudice men suffered. When a man had sex with another man it was about dominance and power, making the other man under him submit to his will.

He had heard many tales of warriors raping their defeated opponents to humiliate them.

How could there be love in something seen as the ultimate degradation of a man's masculinity? Vigi did enjoy the sex, but every time a man visited him it was the same. Face down on his hands and knees, the most submissive position possible. What he experienced was more like rutting between two animals rather than two humans coming together as one in the most intimate of acts possible.

To actually hear that maybe, just maybe love was possible between two men...It filled him with an odd sense of hope.

“Possible?” Cerdic shrugged, “At first being with him was just like being with my best friend, after awhile, I felt even closer to Owain than my own brothers. Then...”

He rubbed his hands together, knitting his brow, “I would see him look at me in a way that...no man had before and it made me catch my breath.”

Cerdic chewed his lower lip, blushing and he looked at Vigi, “It was wrong, we both knew it and we could not even bring ourselves to voice what we felt. But...one night. he kissed me. He looked so frightened after he did that but I did not push him away. I should have. Master...I should have.”

Looking out towards the water again, he rubbed his face as if trying to draw a curtain down over the memories. "We kissed each other and...other things but it felt right. I felt like...I'd found someone at least, no maiden but a man."

Vigi listened attentively, frowning hearing the guilt in his voice. "Why do you say that?' He asked, slowly stepping closer. "It sounds like you found something amazing. Why was that so wrong? Why should you have just pretended neither of you felt what you did toward each other?"

A thought occurred to him and he stepped forward to put a hand on Cerdic's shoulder. "Was...Is it because...Was he killed because of it?"

Cerdic shuddered and gasped as if he had been holding his breath, perhaps he had been. He put his hands to his face and rubbed his eyes hard until he saw stars and finally took a deep breath, controlling his emotions before turning to face his master. "He and I...we never...if I'd known we should have just done everything."

The big Saxon furrowed his brow, "He died in battle...Owain was an archer but Aelle offered him the honor of the vangard, to lead his men with him at the spear tip of an attack. Owain could not refuse it, it would be seen as cowardly and an insult to his new brother in law. I was kept away, on the other end of the shield wall...there is a lot of confusion in battle. Sometimes accidents happen...and sometimes they're not accidents."

Cerdic swallowed thickly, narrowing his eyes as they burned from tears unshed, "He died from sword wound...to the back."

He made a strangled sound and tightened his fists until his knuckles showed white.

Vigi took a step back, his hand moving to cover his mouth. Even though he had never been in battle he knew it well from his brother and his father. "Cerdic." He muttered, not sure what to do to comfort the man as his eyes burned with pain and anger. "I am sorry. Even we heathens have our honor and a coward that would dare to kill a man when his back was turned, especially by an ally as you make it sound...It is one of the most cowardice of crimes to commit. May the man who did such an act suffer eternity in the fiery pits of hell of your god."

He paused and stepped forward again to place his hand on his shoulder. "I'm sorry to have asked and made you relive this pain."

Cerdic shook his head and looked up as Vigi gripped his shoulder, “I have not spoken of it. It was...shameful and Roslyn never knew how he really died nor his family. Most of his men died in the battle, being at the forefront in a hard struggle that we eventually were victorious in. Those that might have raised questions were dealt with swiftly.”

Tilting his head, he reached up and ran his fingers through his dark curls when Vigi spoke of the culprit burning in hell for the murder, “I can’t even wish that.”

Pulling away from Vigi, Cerdic ducked and picked up his wet tunic and the fish impaled on the stick. “We should be getting back, we have much to do.”

He could not continue, he had said too much and speaking of Owain had stirred many feelings that seemed to stay stuck in his throat. Cerdic had admitted his weakness and his sin to Vigi but it did not feel as bad as he thought it would. Perhaps it was because the man knew what it was like to be attracted to another though from what it sounded it like, it had not been very pleasant for the shaman. Or perhaps because his gods did not frown so heavily on it as his God. Whatever it was, he felt a mixture of relief and remorse at spilling such an intimate story with the man.

When they got back to the hut, he asked for a knife, to clean the fish, making swift work of it. The monks made stews for the most part and that is where he learned to cook. While Vigi repaired the fence and took stock of the remaining sheep, Cerdic made dinner, a fish stew with onions and cabbage that had been stored away in Vigi’s storage. He had cut away the parts that had been gnawed by mice and soon it was bubbling over the hearth. He had taken off his wet clothes, hanging them near the fire, changing into another tunic and trousers.

Vigi's mind was turning over the conversation with Cerdic as he worked to fix the sheep's pen. They had been well fed at least from the looks of things and their wool looked like it could be shorn off soon. It still miffed him that he had so many missing and he intended to get his compensation from the ship builder.

He was finally finished with the pen and it was getting close to sundown when he looked up and saw a boat approaching his dock. He frowned and walked closer, squinting his eyes to see the figures better. He could make out distinguishing pale hair and for a moment he thought it was Sven coming to make sure Cerdic hadn't killed him yet.

Then he realized the build was all wrong and his stomach dropped.

His father.

He quickly made his way over to his hut to was up and deal with Cerdic. The smell of food was in the air and he was thankful that the man was at least efficient.

"Cerdic, listen to me." He said, marching over to the man and putting one hand on his shoulder before turning his head and forcing him to look at him by gripping his jaw. "The Jarl is at my dock. He will be in here soon and for the love of all nine worlds you must behave. Do not look up at him, do not dare meet his eyes and keep your mouth shut, no matter what happens or what is said. Do you understand me?" He asked him, gripping his jaw tightly with slightly trembling hands.

His father never visited his shores. He always waited until he came to the village to speak with him even that was rare. Whatever he wanted to discuss it was important and he could not have Cerdic acting like his proud self.

"Promise me that you will for once behave like a slave should?"

Cerdic stood up when Vigi entered the hut, setting down the hard flat loaves of travel bread they had left over. He noticed the anxiety in the man’s fair face and furrowed his brow, “What is it?’

Hearing the urgency in Vigi’s voice, along with the grip of his hand, Cerdic glowered at him, “Your lord father is here? I thought he did not care to see you. Alright, I will be but a mouse, for God’s sake.”

He rolled his eyes and stepped back, standing in a corner beyond the circle of light from the hearth, the fire casting flickering shadows. Cerdic could hear the approaching footsteps and reminded himself to keep his head down, which was not so hard as he was used to protocol when it came to addressing lords. It was more severe now that he was a slave, everyone was higher ranked and he was not even considered a man. He glanced at the doorway surreptitiously as Vigi went to greet his father, the Jarl.

Vigi released Cerdic’s face and went over to the bucket of water collected from the spring to wash his hands and his face. He had to look as presentable as possible or the Jarl may think he was being disrespectful.

His hair was a mess thanks to Cerdic pulling on it earlier and he stripped off his dirty and sweaty tunic before unbraiding his hair and pulling out the beads woven into it. He ran his fingers through his wavy hair to put it in some semblance of order. His dark string of beads remained around his neck and he could hear the low murmur of voices approaching his hut.

Swearing under his breath he grabbed his black cloak and threw it around his shoulders. He held it shut and went to the door. He stepped outside and saw his father approaching his hut with Bui and his housecarl, Serkr.

He looked from the imposing figure of his father to Bui. The man looked tired, but his face betrayed nothing of the reason for this visit.

Vigi dropped his gaze and inclined his head respectfully to his father. “Jarl Álarr. It is an honor to have you visit my home.”

Álarr merely nodded and continued up the path, leaving Bui and Serkr behind.

Vigi raised his eyes and stepped back to allow his father’s tall and broad frame through his door. Even though the man was growing older, he still had the strong body of a warrior though all of his years of drinking mead had given him a rounded stomach.

Álarr shut the door harshly behind him and Vigi looked up at his blue eyes to see them hard and storming. “I’m surprised you are opening your home to me, as you thought you did not need to pay your respects to me after returning.”

Vigi tried to keep his face blank but inwardly he flinched. “I did not believe you wished to see me.” He said.

The Jarl made a sound in his throat and pushed past him to walk further into the hut. “Is this the worthless Christian that has been causing trouble?” He asked once he laid eyes on Cerdic’s dark form standing in the corner.

Without breaking his stride he went up the Christian man and punched him with all of his strength in the side of his head.

Vigi made a startled sound and went around the fire the other side to avoid being pushed into the flames. “Jarl Álarr please do not punish my slave, that is for me to do and he has done nothing that he hasn’t already paid the price for.” He felt a small amount of pride in Cerdic seeing him catch himself on the wall. He knew how hard his father could hit.

“He killed two of my warriors.” Álarr growled. “This piece of rat shit isn’t fit to breathe.” He sneered, turning to raise his fist and strike Cerdic again.

“He sent them to Valhalla!” Vigi said quickly, desperately not wanting Cerdic to retaliate against his father and he feared he would if he started to beat him. “My Jarl he is a fierce warrior and he sent those men to death with honor. And he is now my slave, is that not a greater dishonor to him than death?” He moved around the fire so he was closer to his father. “Surely this cannot be why you came here.”

Álarr breathed out heavily through flared nostrils, glaring down at Cerdic as though he was a piece of shit on his boot. “No it isn’t.” He relented, walking away from Cerdic to sit down on the sleeping bench that took up the other wall.

Vigi sat down as well so he was not towering over the other man, but he made sure to keep his distance. “Have I done something to anger you?”

Álarr turned his burning glare on him and Vigi had to resist the urge to look down at the ground. “You nearly ruined my reputation and now you see fit to destroy Sven’s?”

Vigi blinked, stunned for a moment before frowning deeply in confusion. “I don’t understand, what do you mean? I would never do anything to tarnish Sven’s name.”

“On the journey home you caused a scene with,” Álarr stopped to let out an angry and disgusted breath. “A man. That thing,” he waved angrily at Cerdic. “Was involved.”

Understanding flashed through him and then shame once again consumed him. “I know Sven’s reaction was over the line but he was tired and he missed-”

“Sven is not the problem, it is you.” Álarr interrupted him and Vigi fell silent. The Jarl rose from his seat to stand over Vigi. “I do not care if you spread your legs like a bitch in heat, I’ve long since washed my hands of you. But when your actions start to affect my son and his future and the future of my grandchildren I become furious.”

Vigi dropped his mouth open, but no sound came out. Everything his father said felt as though he was being pierced with a hundred arrows.

“Some of the men have begun to talk and sneer at Sven for his reaction. They are beginning to doubt his abilities as a leader, as someone of status. They worry that his emotions cloud his mind too much and that is not a worry they had until you returned.”

Vigi stared up at the dark silhouette his father had become until he finally found his voice. “What do you wish for me to do?” He asked.

“Distance yourself from one another.”

Vigi’s eyes widened before he stood up as shock and anger rolled through him. “I will do no such thing.” It was the first thing he had ever said to defy his father and judging how he mirrored a look of shock he hadn’t expected him to.

Anger quickly replaced the surprise and Vigi shut his eyes when he saw his father move his arm. He expected to be hit and was proven right when a fist slammed into his stomach. His breath left him in a rush and he bent over in pain. A hand grabbed his hair, pulling on it painfully and making him cry out.

“On your knees.” The older man ordered him while pulling harshly at his scalp.

Wanting to relieve some of the pressure Vigi went down onto his knees but the grip only tightened. “I won’t abandon my brother!” Vigi said through gritted teeth, opening his eyes to look up at his father. “I will talk to him! I will make him understand why he can not defend me anymore! But I will not turn my back on him! He never abandoned me and I will do the same!”

Álarr glared down at him and pulled his hair up to make him grunt in pain. “If you were not so desperately needed here I would be done with you completely.” He released Vigi’s hair with a harsh shove of his head. “Consider your luck great that your mother is losing her mind and you will need to take her place soon. Otherwise I would cast you out of this village forever.”

Vigi kept his head down and didn’t move, the comment about his mother stabbing him deeper than any blade. “I will talk to him.” He said softly. “He will not need to defend me anymore. That is why I have Cerdic now. He will be my guard.” He slowly lifted his head. “He needs to be allowed to carry a weapon and if a freeman attacks me and he defends me, he can face no punishment for it.”

“Of course, hide behind a sniveling Christian.” The Jarl said with a sneer. “That is far better than hiding behind Sven.”

Vigi gritted his teeth as he pushed himself up. “Do I have your permission?”

“I don’t care.” The man said in a cold voice.

The Seirdmadr nodded. “Was there anything else you wished to discuss with me?”

“Yes, I want you to also speak to your mother. Her mind is slowly growing mad and I fear that she will accidentally hurt someone in trying to help or heal them.”

Vigi raised his eyes, wanting to protest on his mother’s behalf but he had stilled his tongue at the dark look in his father’s eyes. “Yes my Jarl.” He said, dropping his eyes once again, inclining his head and raising his cloak covered arm to cover his injured stomach.

tumblr_lrdp6uwAa01r1wrz1o1_1280.jpg

The older man looked over his bastard son with disgust before turning and leaving the hut without another word. The door slammed shut behind him and Vigi remained motionless as he tried to collect himself from the ordeal.

He looked over to Cerdic, his eyes running over him briefly. “There is a story that once he punched a bull and it fell to the ground. Seems you’ve a far harder head.”

Cerdic watched the big man enter the room and saw where Sven got his size. He remained quiet and unintrusive but the Jarl zeroed in on him anyway. He sensed the aggression and braced himself taking the punch that made his head ring. He was sent off balance, falling against the wall where he caught himself before. Rather than snap back up and retaliate, he stayed put, turning his head enough to watch the Jarl to see if another blow would fall. His fist tightened but there was no need once Vigi called him off.

The monk stood upright, remaining in the shadows as the Jarl made his demands. He could see the man’s point, if Sven acted like a mother hen with Vigi it would do no good for either of brothers. The Jarl’s bastard was the contender for the title, as he far as he could tell it was not a direct inheritance among the heathens unlike his own lands where it automatically went to the first legitimate son of which the Jarl did not have. Cerdic was interested in how their power was passed along but he was in no position to ask questions. When Vigi mentioned him being a guard, he stood up straighter, rolling his shoulders to show his strength. The Jarl’s dismissive answer would have to be good enough.

He felt for Vigi, being kept away from his brother would he hard, they seemed close, especially being twins. He was close with his own brothers and understood the connection that went deep, the shared blood strong even when there was disagreements. The news about the witch who birthed the brothers was not entirely unexpected, she had seemed a little mad when he met her and since his own mother had passed when he was younger, he sympathized with Vigi. He held everything in until the Jarl left, the door closing behind him and Cerdic reached up to rub his head.

Glancing at Vigi’s comment, “I saw him coming, he might be strong but he’s not so fast. If I was not a slave I would have blocked his blow, instead I braced for it. It was still rather strong...”

He touched his head again and knew there would be a bruise on his temple. “So I am to be your guard, then I’ll have a weapon? Armor? Do you have so many enemies?”

Interested in the new change of his position, he moved to serve bowls of the fish stew, “Watch for little bones.”

Soaking is hard bread in the broth, he watched Vigi in the firelight, “What do you plan on doing about Sven?”

Vigi rubbed his stomach, his muscles already starting to feel sore from the blow. A bruise was sure to form and on his pale skin it would look worse than it actually felt. He sighed, running his hand through his hair and sitting down on his sleeping bench, ignoring the bowl of stew for now even though he was hungry.

"Yes, yes, you will be given armor, a dagger and an axe, so long as you do not attempt to bury it in my head." He muttered, rubbing his hands over his face and pausing to press his fingers against his temples while he stared into the fire. "I've many enemies. Many men I have cursed and many that lost family to my curses and then there are enemies of the Jarl that feel threatened by my presence. It is dangerous to attack and overthrow the man when he has an elf halfling," He spat the words out bitterly. "By his side. So some wish to kill me to have me out of the way. Then there are the odd robbers for when I travel to some of the other villages."

He grew silent staring down into the fire for a few more moments before letting go of his head to pick up his bowl of soup. He started to eat and it tasted fairly good after so many weeks of nothing by hard bread and tough, dried fish. "I will speak to Sven that is what I plan to do. Though it will be difficult to get him to understand that he can't be so protective of me anymore. I'm afraid he has grown too used to the role since he defended me a lot when we were children. I left this village when I was barely of age and traveled for many winters, so some part of him still sees me as a child."

Cerdic glanced down at Vigi, the blow his father had given him had been full force he now realized. Why would he have checked his strength against his own son whom he seemed to fear and loathe and had come to disavow? He wrinkled his brow at the shaman's revelations, it seemed he did have need for a body guard as he went through the list of those who would have reason to harm him. The idea that men had died of his curses made him cross himself out of habit. It was black magic to curse men and though he was not sure he believed Vigi had actual power and even if the Church's official stance was that heathen magic did not exist, it still made him nervous. If the families of the men who died truly thought the shaman had caused the death of their blood, they would have reason enough to hate him.

The monk rubbed the last bit of bread against the wooden bowl, sopping up the broth before speaking, "It's hard to believe you made it this far then. I suppose it was only your brother's strong arm and the superstitions of these people that have kept you alive."

He chewed the bread, looking over at Vigi. It was no wonder his brother felt defensive over the pretty man, probably thought of him more as a sister rather than a brother. He was no warrior and he openly admitted to bedding men in his pagan rituals and in his own desire. Cerdic thought about his own eldest brother, Aelle, and how he looked out for him. He felt a chill, swallowing thickly, perhaps Sven's coddling was not so bad. Finishing his food, he set his bowl aside and stood up.

"I can be your guard, so long as I'm not hung for defending you," he said, the firelight flickering on his handsome features, "Your brother needs to appear strong and impartial but no one can fault him for defending his own blood if you are truly threatened."

Cerdic looked down into the hearth, "Blood means everything, I'm certain even among your people."

He was quiet for a moment before shaking off the hypnotic trance of the flames and his own dark thoughts, changing the subject to something safer, "You have traveled these lands since you were young. So you might feel as a stranger in your own homeland and thus people even more reluctant to trust you. You must build that back up, trust and fear all in the same hand. Fear will protect you but you must have trust as well, from your father. If he decides to harm you there won't be much I can do that won't get me instantly killed."

Rolling his neck until the tendons popped from the tension, he sat back down on the bench. "What did you do on these travels?"

Vigi frowned as he listened to Cerdic. Trust. He had not considered that trust would be an issue and he felt foolish for not realizing it sooner. He had been gone for so long and he came back a different person. He was no longer the shy lad that used to follow his mother around and hide behind her skirts.

He had changed a lot, he had grown so much. Just like Sven had, but the people and his father had witnessed Sven's growth into an adult. They still knew him very well. They hadn't seen his growth and being that he was not only a favorite of the gods but a powerful practitioner of Seid...Cerdic was right, he was effectively an outsider to his own village. And a potentially dangerous one at that.

Maybe that was the reason for his fathers increased hostility toward him; why he felt the need to be so violent with him. He didn't know what kind of man he was now.

His frown deepened as he stared down at his empty bowl. What a fool he was to think that after being gone for so long he could easily return to the fold. He had always felt last like an outsider, but since his return the feeling had only worsened.

"I hate bloody politics." He muttered tossing his bowl onto the ground. He waved his hand at Cerdic's question. "I traveled. I went from village to village performing whatever services they needed. I made charms, I healed the sick and injured, read people's fortunes from my bowl. I learned both on my own and from others that practiced Seid. I spent a lot of my time in nature, becoming cIoser to it and the gods. I've even held council with the elves." He explained, leaning back on his hands, causing his cloak to fall completely open. "I honed my powers from their raw form into a proper tool I can wield with confidence." He took in a deep breath and tilted his head back while shutting his eyes; thinking of those wonderfully tranquil days in the wilderness.

tumblr_ls1svaT8zT1r1wrz1o1_1280.jpg

Those moments had been the only time he felt he was where he belonged. "That was the purpose of my leaving." He finished opening his eyes and looking over to Cerdic with half lidded eyes, admiring the glow of the firelight on his handsome features. He looked like a dark specter standing beside his sleeping bench. A beautiful vision of power and now a symbol of protection. Hopefully, he still didn't completely trust the man to not bury a blade in his gut.

"Speaking of trust." He rumbled softly, like a waterfall crashing against rocks in the distance. "Can I trust you to not merely let me die should I be attacked?" He asked him with a raised eyebrow. "I imagine it would be very easy for you to merely pretend that there was nothing you could do to save my life. If you are planning such a thing you would be rid of me, but then you would just go to Sven and he will most likely kill you for failing your duty to protect me."

Cerdic smiled slightly in amusement at Vigi’s last statement, “Did I not tell you I was against killing myself?”

raoul-bova_4-large.jpg

He put his hands on his hips paused in thought before dropping to one knee in front of Vigi. “I will perform my duties as your guard, you have my word. It might not mean much to you now that I am a slave but on my honor and my blood, as the son of the Lord of Wessex and Lady of Dumnonia, I will protect you. I take such oaths very seriously.”

He looked up at him, his flint blue eyes meeting the pale green. Cerdic had no humor now, no spark of rebellion or jest. As he swore an oath to his father’s banner and later to his eldest brother, he swore himself to Vigi. Granted, it would have been better to be given a silver ring for his arm to show he was Vigi’s man rather than the leather slave collar but there was no room for negotiating.

Not that he did not want to escape, that would always be in the back of his mind but right now he needed Vigi to trust him and he would fulfil his duty and protect him. If he failed at it, he would likely be sold or sacrificed and not being dead was necessary to gaining his freedom. When he would make his escape would not be at the expense of abandoning Vigi, whom he did owe his life, to an attacker. No, when he did it would be just to slip away and disappear. At least that’s how he imagined it during the long boat journey.

Vigi sat up straight when Cerdic went to his knee and stared down into his eyes while he spoke, his face a blank mask. He stared down into Cerdic's eyes as though he was looking into his very soul. Searching for a lie, for any indication that what Cerdic was saying was merely pretty words to lull his guard.

andrej-pejic-male-model-long-hair-andrejpejicmodel-9.jpg

He remained staring for a few moments before smirking slightly and leaning forward to he was closer to Cerdic's face. "Alright, I accept your oath and I will hold you to it." But he still didn't completely trust the man. For a man as proud as Cerdic would not be so easily tamed.

His pale green eyes ran over Cerdic's face glowing with light from the fire and his eyes dropped down to his lips. He could still very well remember the energy that sparked through him from the kiss they shared earlier. He looked back up into those grey eyes turned nearly orange from the firelight and his smirk turned seductive. "I rather like you on your knee's of your own will." He said, leaning back before standing up. He took his cloak off of his shoulders then unlaced his dirty trousers before pushing them down and off.

"Be a dear and get me some clean clothes." He said, standing unashamed in the middle of his hut completely naked, except for the dark beads around his neck. "And you can dress me." He smiled with a slight raise of his eyebrow. "I seem to remember helping you to dress on the ship. Now you can repay me."

Cerdic locked eyes with the seidrmadr and felt a sudden flare of heat low in his belly when he said he liked him on his knees. He inhaled sharply as Vigi undressed right before him and tried hard not to let his gaze wander down to eye level but failed. A blush crept up his face, looking at the pink length of flesh nestled against short pale curls. He cleared his throat, trying to force down the swelling of his own manhood under his trousers. Goddamn this heathen, he swore to himself, looking away and he wondered briefly if Vigi had cast some sort of magic on him. It had to be the case, some black pagan magic that made him want to sin...he closed his eyes, his brow furrowing. He knew he was lying to himself, making excuses, he did desire the beautiful man. It was his own flesh, not magic, that reacted to the sight of him naked before him.

The monk stood up, looking over at the trunk where Vigi's clothing was and he bit his lip, catching himself before he grinned. It was so easy to allow himself to slip into sin, to accept what devil curled inside him and made his cock hard for another man rather than desire a woman's softness. Rubbing his hand over his mouth to suppress the smile, he glanced at Vigi. "Do you normally wear clothing to bed in your own home?"

Vigi raised a questioning eyebrow at Cerdic's reaction. It was not what he was expecting. "I do it gets cold here at night." He answered, placing his hands on his bare hips. "And we will be sharing the same bed, I thought you would like it better if I slept next to you with pants on." He smirked suddenly and ran his eyes slowly over Cerdic. "Unless you wish to lay naked with me?"

"Cold?" Cerdic smirked a little, raising his eyebrow at the Northman, "With this hut and all the furs and blankets you've collected, you should be warm as babe on the bosom. You don't know cold until you've slept on a stone bench with but a moth eaten woolen cloak in a stone hut facing the sea in the winter. And not being allowed a fire."

Vigi's next statement shut him up however, his jaw clicking closed and his grey blue eyes widening, "I...ah, did not expect I'd share a bed with you. I thought you'd have me sleep on the floor while you took the bench, as a slave would."

Straightening his shoulders, he tried to look nonchalant, "I care not what you wear, it is your home. And what I wear is at your fancy, Master."

Vigi grinned at Cerdic's surprised expression. "I am not so cruel as to make a fine man such as yourself sleep on the floor. And I grew used to you sleeping beside me on the ship." He added with a small shrug, still grinning.

He took a step closer to Cerdic, ignoring the venom in which his title was said. "Hmm, I'm tempted to have you go naked as well...but I wouldn't want you to break down like you did earlier." He huffed softly and waved his hand to his trunk. "Just a simple tunic and trousers."

Back
Top Bottom