Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Drowning in Sin (heartlesskitten x Kuro)

Vigi looked down in surprise when Cerdic gripped his hand. He shifted awkwardly on the bed, not really sure what to make of the gesture. It was most likely something brought on by the fever, people often behaved strangely when they were ill. "You're welcome." He muttered, reaching over to pick up a pelt to pull over the man.

"When this cup is empty you should try to sleep again." He said, setting down the cup on the pallet. Bringing up his free hand he touched Cerdic's forehead, brushing away the sweaty hair that clung to his skin. Vigi frowned at the heat that he felt radiating from it. He had seen many strong men die from fevers such as the one plaguing Cerdic.

"You are a stubborn man." He said, brushing his finger's through Cerdic's dark strands to bring him some measure of comfort. "This will not end you." He huffed, smirking down into watery blue eyes. "After all I'm sure you have a lot you want to tell me about how your way of life is so much better than my own."

Cerdic drained the cup, coughing a little in his haste. He gasped and lay his head back, turning away from Vigi. He stayed quiet, but when the healer brushed his fingers through his hair, he felt a shiver unrelated to the fever. A small nod of his head showed acknowledged Vigi’s prediction and he gave a small faint smile.

raoul-bova-in-una-scena-di-scusa-ma-ti-chiamo-amore-51892_large.jpg

Cerdic slept the rest of the night and in the morning his fever broke, he was drenched in sweat and he had kicked off the layers of fur that the healer had piled on him when he was chilled. He looked over at where Vigi slept, his body turned away and the long pale hair flowing over the dark bear pelt that he used as a blanket. From this angle, he looked like a woman and it had been a long time since Cerdic had laid in a bed with anyone, let alone a woman. He was feeling better the pain medicine still in his system and when he gazed at Vigi he felt his cock start to stir.

“Lord,” he whispered, not this, not now. Cerdic willed himself to think of other things rather than the smooth lean back and silky hair. Moving slightly to adjust his position, he winced at the pain of his shoulder and chest. That distracted him and the beginnings of his arousal fled in the face of the ache. He lay still, feeling the boat rocking beneath them and his stomach growled audibly. It had been nearly 24 hours since his last meal of peas porridge and oat bread, the Abbot had forbidden him from eating for his insolence.

He sat up slightly on his left arm, looking around the cabin that was packed tightly with sleeping men. It was obviously not big enough to carry an entire crew so he assumed they worked and slept in shifts to keep the longship moving day and night towards their home. As Cerdic moved around more he felt a discomfort and rolled his eyes. He had to take a piss.

Not wanting to wake the healer, he tried to get up on his own. He made it to his knees when his vision swam before his eyes and he fell over onto Vigi’s prone form. “Oof,” he grunted and hissed from the agony that shot up his arm and chest.

Rolling off of him, he gasped and gripped his right arm where the pain fired through from his bicep to his chest. "Damn it, I just need to take a piss!"

He hated feeling so helpless and he looked at the healer, "I need help though."

Vigi startled awake when a heavy body landed on top of him and for a brief moment panic swept through him. He started to move so he could throw his elbow off to hit the man on top of him in the face. The weight rolled off of him and he blinked hearing Cerdic's voice. He pushed himself up onto his elbows and stared blankly at the priest.

"You are like my little niece and nephew's." He sighed, ducking his head down so he could rub his eyes. At least it seemed his fever had broken, though it hadn't stopped the man from mumbling in his sleep and keeping him awake most the night.

He stood up and reached over for his discarded tunic and cloak that lay next to him. Dressing himself he stopped to look at Cerdic's bare chest, his sleep muddled mind realizing that the man would need something to protect him from the cold air.

He certainly would not fit into any of his tunics and he turned to look at the other men that lay asleep. He found a man about the size of Cerdic and took the tunic and fur cloak that lay next to him. "Afi, I'm borrowing this." He said, whacking the man's foot to wake him.

"Hmm?" The red head lifted his head, blinking at him before grunting and waving him off. His head dropped back on the pallet and soon he was snoring again.

Vigi rolled his eyes and returned to Cerdic, helping him sit up and then dressing him much like he had done for his brother's youngest son. "Up." He took his hand and pulled Cerdic up to his feet, tugging his arm around his shoulders and wrapping his arm about his waist. "Fine way to wake up in the morning." He muttered, walking Cerdic out of the cabin. He lead him over to the side of the ship and pointed to the ocean.

"There, piss and ruin a fishes morning." He grunted, turning around and sitting himself on a barrel while he waited for Cerdic to do what he needed. He saw a few of the men awake looking over at them and some of them smirked, a few laughed seeing Vigi ruffled and grumpy after taking his new slave out for a piss.

Cerdic pulled the borrowed tunic awkwardly and had to have Vigi’s assistance to finish putting it on. It was not unlike the ones from his homeland with slight design differences. He could not fix the toggles one handed and his right hand refused to grip so Vigi had to dress him. His cheeks flushed pink and he was certain it was not only embarrassing for him but for his new master.

When Cerdic arrived on deck he took deep breath of the briny air and shivered as the chill winds touched his face and neck exposed now that he did not have his robe and cowl. Ignoring the other Norsemen who manned the oars he walked to the side of the ship with Vigi’s aid. He was embarrassed at needing the help but glad of it, for with his weak state and the swaying of the ship he might have fallen overboard.

He was able to unlace the thongs of his woolen trousers and took out his cock, on the larger side of medium and uncut, the skin a tannish pink, slightly darker than the rest of his body. Cerdic pissed into the ocean and sighed with relief, chuckling a little at the thought of ruining some passing fishes morning. When he was done, he tucked it away and smoothed the tunic down. By the sun he could tell they were heading east, back to Daneland and he wondered how far it was, was it the southern lands Brother Eadric spoke of that were low and marshy or the northern lands, the hard lands of ice rivers and sharp fjords. He had been one to travel to the heathen lands in order to convert souls. He came back minus an ear but still alive to record what he had witnessed among the Danes. He spoke with bitterness that the Northman worshiped silver and gold more than any God and would take baptism only in return for treasures of coin or steel from the Church.

“Vigi...ahem, master...” Cerdic swallowed the last word and took a breath, enjoying the clean air. “Where is your home?”

Vigi looked over at Cerdic when he spoke, noting that he seemed to have finished his business. He stood up and guided him away from the edge so that he would not fall into the sea. "My home is in Daneland." He answered, not sure why Cerdic would ask such a thing. It had to be fairly obvious what land he came from.

One of the men passing stopped and stared at the clothes Cerdic was wearing. "Is that not Afi's tunic and fur?" He asked, pointing to the clothes.

Vigi grinned. "It is."

"He's going to be furious."

"When isn't he?" The two of them shared a chuckle before the man continued by with a shake of his head.

Vigi licked his lips and turned to look back at Cerdic. "I should probably find you clothes that will not get us both beheaded by the biggest grouch on this ship."

His eyes widened and he began to struggle out of the tunic, glaring daggers at Vigi. “You give me the clothes of a man like that?”

With a grimace of pain he managed to yank it over his head, throwing it back at his new master. Cerdic was aware of the fact that this was piss poor behavior for a slave but it made him angry that Vigi would do such a thing. In his condition it would be difficult to defend himself and by the looks of his master, he doubted he would be defended. Cerdic stood barechested in the chilly air, his skin goosebumping. Picking at the herbal plaster on his upper chest, he looked Vigi in the eye and pointed at him, “I’d rather keep my robes than wear anything from these men.”

He tried to storm off by the rolling of the ship had him stumbling, not the dignified exit he wished to have but he was upset. Cerdic could hear one of the Vikings snarl angrily and he braced himself, turning in time to the big fist come down.

Sven watched with rage as the Christian slave threw the clothing at his brother’s face and before Vigi could react, he pounced on the injured man. He cursed himself for not finishing him off and Vigi for leaving the boat and finding the man. He was too proud and too much a warrior to make an honest house slave that his brother would need. His fist smacked into the man’s jaw, sending him lurching to side, the ship’s movement causing him to lose his balance.

Cerdic raised his left arm to defend himself but fell to his right side, the pain blinding as he hit his arm on the deck of the ship. Sven’s leather boot caught him in the stomach and if he had had anything in it it would have been lost. The monk coughed and wheezed, curling up defensively as Sven shouted at him in Norse.

“You are a slave, never raise your hands to any freeman, especially not your master!” Sven growled, kicking him again for good measure, “Never look him in the eyes, never speak back to him!”

Sven shot a look at Vigi and pointed at him, “Teach him manners or I’ll use his balls to bait my hook.”

Cerdic gasped and groaned in pain, his jaw aching where the knuckles had caught him. His teeth were still in place so that was something. He knew he had overstepped his boundaries with Vigi but the resentment had boiled over. Rather than avoiding trouble with the man whom he had borrowed the tunic from he had made it worse with the very raid leader he had fought.

Vigi had been stunned with the reaction to the borrowed clothing, even more so when they were thrown at his face. Rage at the insolence boiled through him and he ground his teeth together while ripping the clothes off his head. He was about to do something when Sven intervened and sent Cerdic to the deck with one powerful blow.

He clenched his jaw tight when Sven turned his anger on him. "I will." He said tightly with a firm nod of his head.

Sven glared at him before turning it on the Christian at his feet, sneering in disgust as he stepped over him.

Vigi walked over to the prone man, his arms crossed over his chest as he looked down at Cerdic. "That is a fine way to treat a man that has saved your life and nursed you back to health from a fever. And over what? A piece of fabric and a bit of fur?" He asked, holding up the tunic and fur that had started the whole ordeal. "I did not know Christians could throw a child's tantrum over something so petty and a jest at that. Are you happy now? Was the price of such a foolish out burst worth the beating?"

Vigi shook his head and tucked the clothes under is arm. "You do not wish to wear our clothes? Fine, you won't. As punishment you will not be given your robe nor are you allowed back into the warm cabin. You will stay out here in the wind and cold until I say you may come inside. Perhaps when your lips have turned blue." He looked down at his pants. "I'm tempted to take your pants as well, have you stand out here in the cold and let all the men see you naked and defenseless, because apparently you are too good for any clothes."

Cerdic rolled over, sitting up to face Vigi’s anger. He glanced at Sven who stood watching and dropped his gaze, feeling the shame burn through him. If he had not been out numbered, he would have killed that man and he had a feeling the big raid leader knew they were equally matched. But that was when he was hale and healthy, with weapons and not wounded and enslaved as he was now. Pride was a sin and it was one of many Cerdic was guilty of. He stood up, his square jaw clenching as Vigi threatened him. It was stupid he knew it but he was ashamed at his new position, it was worse than having his sword taken, at least as a monk he was still a free man.

“You give me clothes that belong to one of those killers without his leave,” he growled, “Do you think you could do anything to stop him if he tried to kill me for theft?”

Cerdic stood up, staring him Vigi in the eyes long enough to be brazen before dropping them as he knew Sven was watching. The muscle ticked in his jaw when his master threatened to take his pants. “I am but a humble man of God but yes, I am too good to be your slave. Take them, look at me all you wish. I know how you heathens fornicate in sin, you take other men’s wives and you fuck each other.”

His face burned and he could feel the guilt seep through to his bones. With his temper hot, he unlaced his trews and dropped them, holding his hands up to display himself. “There. See all you wish.”

Cerdic turned his back on him, watching the water, despair filling his heart. The cold was very real and he felt rather stupid that he had let his temper and his pride best his better judgement. He shivered violently, bringing his hands down to cover his genitals and the only warmth he felt was the heat of his blush as the other men laughed at his self inflicted punishment.

raoul_bova_02.jpg

His storm colored eyes stared at the sea, it was no less than what he deserved, to be humiliated and stripped of everything. Just like before. How far else could he debase himself and it still not be enough?

Vigi glared at Cerdic's back before bending down to snatch his pants away so he could not reclaim them. He stood next to him to whisper in his ear, "I can be a very kind man Cerdic." His voice portrayed his anger and frustration with the slave. "You can be treated very well or very poorly, the choice is yours. Just as you chose to live rather than die. You can spew hate at me, but really this position you are in right now? It is your own fault."

Vigi stepped back from him, unable to stop himself from admiring the look of his strong back. "Perhaps a day in the could to think is what you need." He turned to those present and shouted in Norse, "This Christian man wishes for you all to gaze upon his nudity." He said, voice dripping with sarcasm. "Do not disappoint him, feel free to point and laugh at his foolish pride."

He turned around and went back into the cabin, throwing the clothes back on Afi's still sleeping form and snorting when it did not wake the man.

He sat down on his pallet and ran his hand angrily through his hair. That stupid slave was becoming far more trouble than he was worth.

==

Vigi watched as some of the men taunted Cerdic by poking him, forcing his hands away from his crotch so they could point and laugh down at his bared cock.

Sighing in disgust and frustration he turned back to glaring out into the open sea, watching for storms on the horizon.

Hands touched his shoulders and he tensed, throwing a glare over his shoulder at the dark haired man behind him. "You look quite tense." He rumbled, leaning forward to press their cheeks together. "That slave giving you trouble?"

"Eitri." Vigi growled, jerking away from him. "I am in no mode." He warned him with a glare. On occasion he and the man had fucked and it was something he always regretted because he could not stand the man.

He turned back to the sea and tensed again when arms wrapped around his waist, pulling him back to feel the man's growing erection. "I like it when you act like a little spit fire." He whispered into his neck before pressing his lips to it and making his skin crawl.

Vigi gritted his teeth and threw back an elbow to try to knock the man off. "I said no just as I have told you time and time again on this journey. Sven is sleeping and he would kill you if he awoke to..." He trailed off and made a disgusted sound in his throat.

"That is what makes it fun." Eitri grinned. "But we could just do it here on the deck, give the men a good show and that insubordinate Christian an eyeful."

Vigi looked up at him in horror at the very idea, his cheeks burning with shame and he shook his head. "No, no, absolutely not." He growled, pushing the man back with a hard shove and clenching his hands into fists.

Eitri stumbled back and returned the glare tenfold. "Just say it's needed for a spell. No one will care or be surprised."

"Odin's eye!" Vigi growled, his hand snapping down to his saex, strapped at his hip. "I said no Etri, now leave me alone."

Eitri looked down at his hand and snorted a laugh before pulling out his own axe. "I'd move your hand lad, or you give me the right to muss up that pretty face of yours." He grinned, pointing the axe at him. "Then it won't be as much fun to fuck you."

Vigi could feel himself starting to shake with rage, his hand tightening on his saex.

Cerdic fought to keep his little scrap of dignity and the urge to punch a man who yanked his hand away from his crotch nearly won out. The bearded man poked him and made some raunchy comment that had his fellows laughing as they rowed. His teeth chattered as the wind him and he glared at one of them who obviously made a comment about his size as his genitals contracted to draw warmth from his core.

Once they saw he was not going to react to their laughter or barbs, the men drifted away to sharpen weapons or eat their breakfast. He was shaking now, his muscles spasming to keep warm and he did not think he could stand it much longer when he heard Vigi raise his voice. He did not understand the words but when he turned he could see another man trying to embrace him from behind and he felt suddenly ill. It was clear Vigi was not enjoying it, especially when he went for his knife.

Without a thought, Cerdic walked towards the man confronting the healer, What he was going to do to a man in leather armor and holding a knife was not yet decided but his anger was roused by the forceful sexual advances he was obviously making. The cold steeled him and he held his injured arm close to his chest, moving faster before anyone could stop him.

His strong left hand grabbed Eitri and yanked him around, much to the other man’s shock. Cerdic headbutted him hard, feeling the stunning blow as he crunched the other man’s nose, leaving it a bloody crooked mess. The offender stumbled backward, grabbing his nose and Cerdic looked wildly at Vigi, “Pull your knife if you mean to use it!”

Eitri shook off the surprise and came towards the nude man with his knife, shouting in a nasally voice “I’ll cuth is thucking ballth off!”

He lunged toward Cerdic who was as vulnerable as a man could be still standing. Still unsteady with the rolling of the ship, he stumbled as he dodged Eitri’s stab and when he went down, he grabbed the other man’s ankles, pulling hard with both hands, his torn right bicep shaking with the effort. Pain shot through him but he was so numb from the cold and the adrenaline, Cerdic hardly felt it. The knife flashed toward him and he put his injured arm up, feeling it slice through his forearm to the bone and he growled, baring his teeth at him. Cerdic might not have been as tall as some of the Vikings but he was broad of shoulder and strong as an ox, even with his injuries he was not an easy man to overcome.

Vigi was so focused on Eitri he didn't notice Cerdic until he spun him around and slammed his head into his nose. The seidmadr was stunned by the priest getting involved, but he moved forward seeing Eitri cut into Cerdic's arm. Those that were not rowing were instantly attracted to the scene of the fight.

"Eitri stop!" Vigi shouted, grabbing the man's shoulders to pull him back from the naked slave.

Eitri broke out of his grip and spun around with his knife. Vigi jumped back, the knife cutting into his tunic but not his skin. He pulled out his long ruin engraved saex and brought it up to block a strike from the angry warrior. His heart was hammering in his chest as he backed up to try and put distance between them.

Fear must've shown in his eyes because Eitri laughed at him. "You look like yer 'bout to pith yerthelf! No wonder the Jarl won't claim you ath is thon."

Rage swept through him, replacing the fear and he shifted his stance. "Come at me and I will show you the wrath of the Gods." He growled.

Eitri smirked, his beard, lips and teeth stained red by the blood from his nose.

"Stop!" Sven's voice boomed across the boat and the men that had gathered stepped aside to allow the man dressed only in a tunic through. "What is this!?" He shouted. "I go to sleep for four bloody hours and you lot are fighting like dogs!"

Eitri pointed his knife at Cedric while Vigi went over to his slave to check his newest injury. "That bathtard attacked me!"

"He was defending me." Vigi snapped at Eitri, turning burning pale eyes on him.

"What. Happened." Sven growled at both of them, his hands clenched into fists.

Vigi's face started to burn and he ducked his head down, not wanting to repeat what happened.

Sven made an animal like sound in his throat, suspecting what had happened but understanding his brother's unwillingness to repeat it. "Vigi, tell me or I cut off his head."

Vigi squeezed his eyes shut before muttering, "Eitri tried to bed me and when I refused him, multiple times he drew his weapon on me first. Cerdic intervened then."

Sven flared his nostrils, turning bright angry eyes on Eitri who took a step back at the intense gaze aimed at him. "Give me reason not to cut your head off where you stand."

"I-I wath...well ith been a long journey."

"You're an idiot Eitri." One of the men gathered muttered.

"I think getting his nose broken by a naked Christian slave is enough." Bui said. "A priest at that."

Some of the men chuckled and Eitri ducked his head, carefully gripping his nose.

Vigi was trying to ignore the conversation as much as possible, his face burning, focusing on inspecting Cerdic's arm. He looked over at his brother and coughed to get his attention. "That seems fitting punishment to me as well." He looked into Cerdic's eyes and said softly, "Thank you."

Sven glared back at Eitri, the look conveying that such conduct will not be happening again.

"What about the slave?" A man asked. "He attacked a freeman."

"Aye, he's been a right sore spot since he got here."

Sven looked over at Cerdic, grinding his teeth. It would be easier on them all to simply execute the Christian and dump his body overboard for the sea monsters. But the man had shown great skill at the church against them and he seemed willing to protect his brother. "The slave needs to be punished," Sven said loudly, holding out his hands. "But he is my brother's guard, he was doing what he was ordered by his master. So he will be punished, but not executed."

Vigi glanced over at his brother and nodded his agreement. He focused on Cerdic again and began to explain to him, "You struck a freeman and normally, that would be punishable by death. But because you were defending me you will merely be punished."

Cerdic ignored the barking seal language around him and focused on Vigi who inspected his arm, it was sliced deep but clean, the white of the bone showing through the flesh. He winced as the healer poked at it, the sting of it now felt after the rush of adrenaline wore off. He also began to shiver again, his teeth chattering uncontrollably. When Vigi thanked him he bowed his head slightly, lowering his eyes in deference. He would have to learn humility aboard this ship a lot faster than he would at the monastery. An old monk threatening him with a week of hard bread was nothing compared to the potential violence these men were capable of.

At the explanation, Cerdic looked resigned, and thought glibly he was already in such pain from his wounds, what was a little more? As long as they did not maim him, he would recover. He would need all his strength in the coming days and he made a silent vow to try to be more tractable, at least for now. It would do no good to continue to be hurt until he was considered useless. Once he was healed and strong, he would figure out a way to escape, no matter what.

Sven gave Vigi a look, he knew his brother was not the kind to want to inflict unnecessary pain on a person, even a slave, but he was with a crew of hard men, raiders and killers who already had disenchanted view of his brother. It was only the fear of his magic and the wrath of the gods he could bring that kept them in line. Even their own father did not show Vigi the respect he would to other seidr. His own son, using womanly magic, so fair and pretty like a daughter. Sven was well aware of their father’s dismay at what his other son became. He pushed a leather strap used for sharpening knives and small blades at Vigi.

“Whip him,” he said, his jaw clenching at having to order his brother to do such a thing. He lowered his voice so only Vigi could hear, “If you do not, they will see you as weak.”

Vigi tried not to show how startled he was to feel the leather strap pressed into his hand. His stomach clenched at the thought of having to punish Cerdic himself. Yes the man was proving more frustrating that useful but in his eyes he had truly done nothing wrong. Eitri was a freeman but he was also a bastard and he deserved his broken nose.

But Sven's words rang true, if he didn't do it he'd be seen as weaker than he already was.

"On your knees." He ordered Cerdic, pointing to the deck so the gathered norsemen would know what he was talking about. He could not hold back, he would have to swing with full force in order to break skin otherwise they think he was going easy on him. "Ten lashes." He called out to the men.

He raised his arm with the belt in hand and struck it across the smooth, broad back that he had admired not that long ago. It struck with a hard sound and he could instantly see the skin start to turn red and the muscles on Cerdic's back jump and shudder with the force of the blow. Without pausing he hit him again and again. With each whip of the belt the skin grew redder and redder until Vigi broke the skin and Cerdic started to bleed.

All the while the men were whooping and hollering, encouraging Vigi to strike him harder than he was and shouting things that blessedly for Cerdic, the man couldn't understand.

The last whip ripped the largest slash across his skin and Vigi gripped the belt hard. He tried not to think of when he was a child and he'd been in the middle of such a crowd as he was being whacked with practice swords and kicked anywhere that wasn't protected by the Earth beneath him.

He was panting from the exertion and he turned to his brother to hand him the belt back. They shared a look between themselves, Vigi trying to convey he understood why this had to be done.

He reached down to touch Cerdic's head with his hand then knelt to help him to his feet. "I'm sorry." He whispered to him, but he made his voice sound angry as though he was still punishing him. "You did not deserve that. That son of a whore has been a parasite on our village for a long time. If I had not have done it they would think me weak and.." And they'd think even worse of Sven. His heart dropped more at the thought of his inability to physically punish a slave having a negative effect on his brother. "And things would be worse for both of us."

He opened the cabin, amazed that most of the men were still asleep. He helped Cerdic over to the end pallet where they slept and had him laid down. He grabbed whatever furs weren't being used and covered his lower half to warm him back up. Next he picked up a dimly glowing lantern from the wall and moved over to inspect Cerdic's arm again. It was the first thing that would need to be stitched up.

Cerdic did not try to fight, he was tired and numb from the cold so he went to his knees, his back straight. He placed his hands on his muscular thighs, and braced himself for the whipping. He had done it himself before, whipping soldiers who had got out of line or thieves but of all the physical punishments he had endured, this was not one of them. The first hit stung and he winced slightly more from the pain of his shoulder being jarred than the actual hit. By the fifth hit, his back was on fire, he could feel each stripe throbbing and a trickle of blood on his skin.

Towards the end, he bowed his head, his hands now on the deck of the ship. He could feel the salt roughened wood against his palms and he focused on a knot in one of the boards, trying not to cry out in pain when the seventh and eighth lash came down. Cerdic whispered a prayer, a chanting melodic sound in his deep voice, asking God for strength against the humiliations of the heathens. When the last lash came down, he pressed his forehead against the deck, taking a deep shuddering breath. He had held out, he had not cried even though tears burned his eyes, not just from the pain but the shame of such punishment.

He felt Vigi’s hands pull him up, touching his hair and he did understand why he had to do what he did. It was Cerdic’s own fault for getting involved, he should have let the man do what he would do, it was not his business. He flicked his storm blue eyes at his master’s fair face and felt a heaviness in his chest. He knew he would have done it again, to spare Vigi that pain of being forced. To harm such a beauty...Cerdic shook his head sharply, like a dog with a flea in it’s ear. He let the shaman guide him back to the cabin and he was almost grateful he took the whipping if it got him out of the biting cold of the North Sea winds.

Cerdic watched silently as Vigi worked on his arm, at least the cut had been clean and it would heal with time and care. His back burned with every movement and he lay down on his stomach, in the blessed soft furs in the cabin that was warmed by the heat of so many sleeping bodies of the men who were still abed from their late shift at the oars.

He winced and hissed a little as he was washed with salt water and he turned his head to look at the healer, “At least I am giving you practice. Do you often have issues with men who wish...wish to bed you as a woman?”

Cerdic’s face blushed and he turned back to press it into the cloak of rabbit’s fur that was folded up like a pillow. He was curious, as he had heard many tales of heathen bedroom practices but he was not sure what to believe as lurid stories tended to grow and take lives of their own and wander far from the truth. How well he knew.

Vigi pressed his lips into a thin line as he focused on sewing up the gash he had created on Cerdic's back. "This will not happen again." He muttered with a frown. "Not for defending me." He shook his head. "I will speak with the Jarl and the housecarl, make it so that you won't be punished like this again just for defending me. Part of the reason I want you for a slave is for protection."

He blushed a bit at the question he was avoiding to answer, hoping the priest didn't see his rising blush. "I suppose I should...educate you on this since you will be living with me." He sighed, finishing with the gash and sitting back to brush some hair from his face. "In our society, men are warriors or farmers or ship builders, what have you. They are meant to be strong and provide for a family. Very few men practice magic, although the great Al Father himself is gifted in Seidr, it still has it's stigma. It is a womanly craft, my mother in fact is a very well respected Seidkona. People from across the land would travel to see her."

He paused to get up and hunt down a jar of salve to rub on Cerdic's back and take off the sting. Realizing he was rambling and avoiding the original question he shook his head at himself and sat back down. "Some spells require the Seidr to...give up control, allow themselves to be lost in a world of ecstasy through sex. Which is why so few men practice it because it is seen as shameful and weak for a man to submit to another man in such a way. The man that is dominant though receives no shame and is even praised for being able to bend another man to his will."

Vigi spoke while he rubbed the ointment over the angry red skin of the slaves back, keeping his touch gentle as he did so. "Yes often men do want to lay with me, but very few are aggressive as that man was. It is expected of me and none are surprised to hear if I have slept with another man. Though they still sneer...Does this answer your question or have I gone off on a mad rant?" He finished with the salve and rubbed his hand off on scrap of Cerdic's robe before putting it away again.

Cerdic listened attentively, Vigi was being forthright and he would need to know as much about the Northmen as he could gather as he was going to be with them for awhile. At least until he was better and could try to escape to Christian lands. His body tensed as Vigi spoke of the sex rituals and he felt the heat in his face flame down his neck and shoulders. He breathed a short, huffed breath, “Barbaric...God says no man should lay with another, it is a sin no matter who is on top.”

He swallowed thickly as Vigi rubbed the ointment in, feeling his soft nimble fingers stroking the angry red marks on his back. The whip marks throbbed but the touch and the medicine was soothing. Cerdic shook his head slightly, “It is not a mad rant, it is...strange to me though. We come from very different worlds, shaman.”

Cerdic was quiet for while as Vigi covered him up and he turned to look at him, raising himself up slightly. “Why do you let them do that? Is it only for your magic or do you love men the way you should love a woman?”

As soon as he asked it, he blushed brightly and looked away. It was no concern of his if the pagan priest took a dozen cocks up his arse a day, he cared not. He was only a slave now, he had no reason to even blink an eye at his heathen behavior and yet the monk was curious. The conversation reminded him of things he would rather not think about and instead remembered the priests words against such relations. And yet...he knew of monks who were always together and slept in the same cell. No one said anything nor asked them their business. Their life was a hard one and in the isolated monestary things sometimes happened that were kept secret. Cerdic had not given into any, he was still very much closed off inside and had not made very close friends let alone allow himself to slip into sin with one of them. He was a man of discipline and strength, he was not a weak womanly man, he resisted physical temptations even before he went to the monestary. He shook his head and pressed it down against the furs as he listened to Vigi's response.

Vigi raised an eyebrow down at the man, surprised that a man that seemed disgusted with the act of two men fucking would still ask such questions. He started to grin slightly and sat down next to Cerdic on the pallet. He wanted to forget about what happened outside and it would help Cerdic take his mind off of his pain. And he had a theory he wished to test.

"Sometimes it is for magic, other times it's for the pleasure of having sex." He said, turning to lay down on his side next to the blushing priest, their bodies very close together. "I've been with a few women, but they are...too soft for me to enjoy. I like the hardness of another man's muscles under my hands. I like the scrape of scruff on my skin and large hands running over me. Lifting me up or holding me down, grunting like a beast as he drives his cock into me. I am thrilled by the sight and feel of an erection, taking it in my hands or my mouth." He whispered in a voice that was a husky timber, his pale eyes smoldering into Cerdic's storm colored eyes before he paused to briefly run his teeth over his bottom lip, feeling himself start to get excited at his own words.

It was a strange relationship he had with his sexuality. He hated it and himself because of the social stigma attached to it, but he could not stop himself from lusting after men and enjoying the sex they had. The brief moments of pleasure brought on were always quickly washed away with shame, humiliation and anger at himself.

It was a vicious cycle that left him exhausted more often than not. He wanted the misery to end, he wanted to just once be happy with himself and the way he was. Maybe if he was the one that was the dominant, he would feel less ashamed.

His mouth dropped open slightly and his eyes moved down to Cerdic's lips, so full and inviting looking. He shifted just a little closer and let out a soft sigh. His eyes rose back up and he smiled before rolling away and off the pallet again. "So the answer is both." He said after clearing his throat and willing away any arousal that had formed when he had been teasing Cerdic.

Cerdic shifted slightly when the other man lay next to him, aware of Vigi's warmth and his own nudity under the furs. His breath started to become a little heavier and he tried to stare at anything other than the beautiful man's face that was right next to him. At his description of why he liked men, Cerdic's eyes darted to him in time to catch the lip bite. He blushed as he felt himself stir again, reacting to Vigi's expression. Goddamnit, Cerdic, he cursed himself for his reaction, he's not some maiden no matter how fair his looks were. Shifting so that any change in his manhood would be hidden under the furs, the monk cleared his throat and swallowed hard. He did not want to face this, not again and not now. Why he could never have feelings for the right person, he knew not. Perhaps it was God's own joke on him, a punishment for his stubborn pride and foolish youth. Vigi was not someone he wanted to desire, he was not only a man but a heathen, the one responsible for his bondage even if it did save his life.

The monk huffed a breath, willing the thickening of his cock to stop at the man's vivid descriptions. It had been far too long for Cerdic, even pleasuring himself which was frowned on at the monastery. Man or woman, he had blocked thoughts of any sexual situations as best he could, it was all frustration. Instead he threw himself into work, keeping his warrior skills keen as well as learning from the other monks about less than lordly things like farming, bee keeping and animal husbandry. Keeping busy, working until he was exhausted had done the trick to keep his mind off his past but now all he had to do is lay there and heal from his wounds. The hooded, smoldering look of his pale green eyes did not help nor did that soft lover's sigh. He had to get away from this subject but it was a very rare time where he was able to discuss it.

"What...what is the point?" he managed to ask, trying to keep the discussion as pious as he could, "God made men and women, that...act is for having children."

A shuddering breath left him, his burgeoning erection deflating as unbidden memories flooded back and he sighed heavily.

Vigi tilted his head to the side at the question, pausing a moment to think about the answer. "Not always." He answered with a shrug. "Many people have sex for the sake of the pleasure, I do enjoy it, it makes me feel good." For a short time; he added silently to himself. "Many more have it because it is an act of love between them...In fact during my travels I actually met two women that were deeply in love with each other." He paused thinking of those two women, one a widow of a warrior and the other a former shield maiden. He'd been stunned when he stumbled across them and he was surprised he did not irate them with all of his questions.

"I don't know if love can exist between two men, I've never experienced it. I doubt I will." His mother and brother were the only ones that deeply loved him. His brother's wife, Dalla, liked him but he was sure she would not miss him if he disappeared. No he was merely something for men to fuck one night when they happened to fancy a man. "But, if it does then that would be reason enough for them to have sex in my eyes."

Realizing that his original intent to tease the priest had disappeared and he'd given a more genuine answer than he intended he tried to draw attention away from it. "As I've said before, your faith in a god that scorns you for your human urges confuses me." He finished with a stiff shrug.

"Have you anymore questions before I leave to take my turn at the oars?" He asked, crossing his arms over his chest and raising his eyebrows.

Cerdic shook his head, "No, no other questions other than what would you have me do today? Once I've rested, I'll need to do something to stay busy."

He did not want to lay there and think about Vigi's words, the images he conjured so vividly. It brought too many suppressed memories back, things he would rather not think about. The monk reached for his cross out of habit but remembered it was locked up in Vigi's trunk. He was too tired to discuss why God had His rules for mankind, especially with this heathen. Cerdic himself often had his own questions that were not able to answered to satisfaction from either the Bible or the Abbot. Looking at Vigi, he wondered how long the young man would last at the oars, he did not look strong enough to pull but he supposed it was more for show for the men to see their healer as part of their crew rather than apart from him. God knew the man stood out enough as it was.

Pouring beer on the hard bread to soften it, Rolef glanced with sharp brown eyes at the men taking their positions at the oars. His long dark hair hung limp with salt spray, the few braids frayed by the wind and the rest of it tousled and tangled. He would need to comb it out he idly thought as he chewed on the travel food. Once they arrived home, he wanted to cut a heroic figure for her and more importantly, her father. The raid had been less successful than Rolef had planned but that was on Sven, he had picked the place. Rolef had procured some pieces of silver and velvet vestments that had been found in one of the rooms in the Abby. The monastery had been more wealthy in men and livestock than it had been in treasures. Some of the men grumbled about it, in particular his men. Rolef had watched Sven and that brother of his bicker like two old women and he snorted. The naked slave was beaten and Rolef shook his head in disgust. Personally he would have heaved him over the side as an offering to Aegir and been done with it. Sven was too soft with the strange twin of his, the one that looked as if Loki had played a trick while he was in his mother's womb and had given him the face of a woman on man's body. He kept his thoughts to himself for now, he needed Sven's good graces to help his pursuit of his half sister, the Jarl's daughter. For now anyway.

“You’re pretty useless right now. I’m a great healer but you will need more than a few hours to become functional again.” He said, though he supposed Cerdic would need to do something. He’d be perfect to use for rowing the oars, but with his injured shoulder he would not last long.

“Hmm, well perhaps you can mend clothing. You can start with that hideous robe of yours since I don’t think I will find you warm clothing among the men.” With that thought in mind he went over to his trunk to get out a stone spool of dark thread and a bone needle for cloth. He didn’t know who put the course threads in his belongings, but he had never once taken any of them out to use. Especially to mend any tears in the men’s clothing.

He shut the trunk and walked over to the discarded robe to pick it up. Vigi dumped the items next to the priest and pointed to the spool of thread with the bone needle stuck into it. “Use this, if you run out let me know I have more. The men all need mending of some kind in their clothing, that should keep you busy for awhile.”

He turned to leave, passing Afi as he finally rose from his slumber. The large man blinked down at the dark trousers that did not belong to him as he held them up. “Who’s bloody pant’s are these?”

Snorting in amusement at the man’s bewildered tone Vigi left the cabin.

At the start of the journey it was rare Vigi did shifts at the oars, when he first began it had been torturous on his body as he had never used his muscles in such a manner before. In fact when the journey started he had been thinner, nearly frail with hardly any muscle.

After a few weeks at the oar’s though he had started to gain muscle. The first time he noticed he had excitedly shown Sven and then begged him to allow him at the oars more often. While he was nowhere near as broad as some of the warriors he was still delighted with the fact that for the first time in his life his body looked more like a man’s and not like a stick.

He put up the hood of his fur cloak to help protect him from the cold water of the crashing waves as he made his way over to the oars. He sat down and his eyes happened to land on a man named Rolef and he frowned. He didn’t particularly like the man, something about him seemed devous and that worried him.

Shaking his head he tried to put the thought from his mind as he gripped the wet, worn down wood of the oars and started to row.

==

Over the rest of the trip home Vigi started to teach Cerdic to speak Norse when he did not have to work the oars. He taught him to say some basic phrases, such as who he belonged to, the respectful greeting a thrall had to give to a freeman, etc. He also taught him manners, how he behaved around a freeman, never to look him in the eye, never to raise his voice or insult him, even in his own language. He also explained it was a possibility for Cerdic to be attacked, he was a very strong looking man and men would want to test him. That was why it was so important for him to know the phrase, “I belong to Vigi the Seidrmadr”.

Vigi also taught him about their currency, the chores he wanted him to help him with and about the responsibility of being his guard.

Vigi also learned from Cerdic, the priest explained to him the strange plants he had picked from the church garden and what they did for the body. They also often discussed their faiths, it was inevitable and Vigi was surprised to hear that there were parallels between them.

For instance he learned that the Christ man had been crucified and was dead for three days before he rose again. It was not too unlike when Odin had hung himself from the tree of life for nine days to gain the wisdom of the world. There was also the creation of man, the Christian god made the first man, Adam, from clay and then his wife Eve from his rib. In their fate the first man and woman were both created from pieces of wood; meaning they were equal.

Vigi pointed this out to Cerdic and made his displeasure known that in Christian faith women were supposed to be servant’s to their husbands. He also asked why the Christian god felt the need to keep Adam and Eve stupid by denying them the fruit from the tree of knowledge when their gods gave humans the same knowledge right away.

The whole virgin giving birth was beyond confusing to him as he didn’t understand how a woman could be a virgin yet birth a child. “It was a miracle.” “No, it was sex. Your god fucked that woman.” This started a whole new debate.

Cerdic also had problems understanding Loki and his children, which was greatly funny for Vigi to explain. The expressions he made never ceased to make him grin or laugh. “At least our gods don’t deny who and what they had fucked.”

Sven didn’t approve of how casual seeming their conversations could get, even though he couldn’t understand what they were about. He said it wasn’t teaching Cerdic proper manners of a thrall and Vigi pointed out that after the day of the whipping Cerdic had been behaving better. He never made eye contact with another free man, he did not throw anymore fits and he did whatever tasks were asked of him; provided they had to be translated by Vigi.

Vigi had to admit to himself that the change was a tad suspicious of such a proud and stubborn man, but a lot of times he noticed Cerdic struggling to keep himself in check. Either he was truly trying to fit into his new role or he was up to something.

A week had healed Cerdic’s shoulder enough that Vigi was confident enough to have him start rowing at the oars. Because he was a slave however he did have the longest shifts at the oars but Vigi thought it was good as it kept the man strong.

A few more short weeks and the giant mountains of their homeland had appeared on the horizon. The men celebrated, eager to return home to their families and show off the loot they had plundered.

Vigi smiled up at the great green mountains Cerdic at his side, there was a strong wind blowing and they were so close to home that they had stopped rowing to celebrate. The men were singing and drinking ale, toasting a safe return home and thanking the god’s.

“Have you ever seen such mighty mountains before?” He said to Cerdic, motioning with a wave of his hand at the majestic lands that rose up through the clouds themselves. “Oh I’ve missed it.” He sighed, tilting his head back, shutting his eyes, and breathing in deep the smell of home once again. He opened his eyes as he lowered his head, his smile widening and his eyes dancing.

https://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6ywcrMDEm1qhspalo5_250.gif

He turned to look at Cerdic, the smile still on his face. “I think you will like my hut. It is far from the village, there is a beautiful waterfall a stone throws away and...I do not know the word in your language, but there is a pool and it is filled with hot water all year round. I expect you to start bathing regularly. I’ve heard you Christians only bathe once a month and I shall have none of that.” He said, already making plans to celebrate his return home by bathing in the wonderful hot spring.

“It is a secret though.” He informed him, pressing his finger to his lips. “Otherwise I’d have all manner of trespassers on my property.”

Cerdic healed as the days passed, keeping his head down and doing what he was told he received no more beatings and he was not starved or mistreated. He rowed the oars longer than others and though it was exhausting, he knew it was good, it worked his muscles that had been injured. His body hardened even more and by the time they were in sight of land, he felt in nearly as good condition as he had before he took the robes of a monk. Of course, he said nothing of that to Vigi, only expressing that his wounds did not pain him as much when the healer inquired about his health.

The journey was long but at least he was not bored, when not sleeping or rowing, Vigi schooled him in his native tongue which Cerdic picked up quickly. He spoke three languages already, his native English, Latin, and Brythonic Celtic from his mother’s people. Cerdic had a quick mind and he absorbed listening to the raiders speak to each other as well as what his master. The stories of their gods were less than convincing and he thought they were more appropriate for ribald tavern tales rather than deities. Especially those tales of Loki, a god that made him uncomfortable and he was reminded of the trickery of Satan.

Despite knowing it meant he was now in the land of the enemy, Cerdic could not deny the exquisite beauty of the fjords as they ship passed through the narrow channel. The land rose sharply, towering above them and covered in tufts of bright green summer grass and conifers that grew tall, taking advantage of the sheltered inlet.

The smell of the sea and the odors of human inhabitation was familiar to him, he had lived on the coast at the monastery long enough and he made him feel a little homesick. Growing up, they had lived farther inland, among gentle green hills and plowed fields. From what he could see, the town spread out from the docks, several of those jutting out into the grey water, smaller long ships and boats moored to the piers. The houses looked different, many had sod roofs and some were quite large, looking almost like upturned ships. He could hear sheep and geese, the sounds of women calling out to the ship, the villagers turning out to greet the raiders returning with their spoils.

Cerdic shook his head, “No, I must admit, there are no mountains such as this near my home. My mother’s land has mountains though, I’ve been there only twice. Nothing like this though, right on the water. Your lands are very lovely.”

He flicked his storm colored eyes at his master, watching the delight in his fair face. Why they could not keep to their lovely lands and leave others alone was not a question he would ask now. The village seemed prosperous enough, though he could see no signs of a great lord or wealth, perhaps it was only a port and the large town would be up the road.

“I look forward to seeing your home, Master,” he said obediently as men pushed past him to jump down onto the dock, embracing their women and children. “It sounds tranquil, at least it will be quiet. Do not worry, your secrets are safe with me. As long as I am safe with you.”

Cerdic gave him a pointed look, he would be in Vigi's care and as much as it galled him to be a slave, he had to accept it for now and play by their rules until he could find a way to escape. His focus shifted to the action going on around him and he was given a trunk to carry and pointed in the direction of the docks. Sven eyed Vigi, "Slaves should not stand around while men work."

The noisy affair did not end once the ship was unloaded. The people helped carry the stolen items towards the center of the village and it was then that Cerdic noticed one of the long buildings was larger than the rest and had carved pillars out front though from this distance he could not see how they were decorated. He turned to Vigi, “Does your lord live there?”

Vigi frowned at the bold look Cerdic gave him, about to say something when Sven deposited a trunk in his arms. He huffed at the statement his brother made, wondering if he would ever approve of how he treated his new slave. He helped to carry some of the loot from the boat, smiling a bit to himself as he was able to carry a fairly large barrel by himself. He'd never felt so strong in his life and he hoped he would be able to remain this way for awhile.

He was greeting people that he knew and turned to Cerdic hearing his question. His eyes landed on the great hall and he could not help but frown at his childhood home. "Yes, that is the Great Hall. That is where the Jarl, our chiefton, and his family resides." His eyes hardened as he gave Cerdic a serious glare. "If he approaches you are to lower your head and stare at your feet. Do not say a word to him. Try to at least pretend to be a well behaved slave."

Towards the end of his sentence he heard a chorus of familiar voices screaming out "Fadir! Fadir!". He turned from Cerdic and watched with a grin when Sven's three children ran up to him. His brother instantly dropped to his knees so he could wrap his arms around his children in a great big hug. Vigi chuckled when Bjarni, the eldest, tried to wiggle away, his cheeks burning with embarrassment.

Sven laughed noticing this as well and ruffled Bjarni's short brown hair before releasing him. He stood back up with his youngest children in each of his arms, Arni and Erna squealed in delight at being lifted so high. Shortly after Sven's wife appeared from the crowd, the lithe woman moving with grace but Vigi could see she was trying to contain herself from running up to Sven like his children had. Her big brown eyes were watering with joy at the sight of her husband and her smile was as bright as the sun.

Sven returned it readily and had to lean down to kiss her, his arms still full with their two blonde haired children. Erna made a face and started to wiggle to get down while Arni found interest in tugging on his father's long hair.

It always warmed his heart to watch his brother interact with his family, to see him so blissfully happy. Vigi remained in the background for a moment before walking forward to greet his sister-in-law and his niece and nephews.

"Uncle Vigi!" Erna cried out, running up and wrapping her arms around his legs.

Vigi stumbled a bit and laughed, bending down to pick up his golden haired niece and hugging her as though she were his own child. "Oh hello my little ray of sunlight! I've missed you!"

She giggled and hugged him back tightly. "Bjarni said you'd be dead."

"Did not!" Her older brother shouted, stomping his foot and making his wooden practice sword swing a bit in his belt. "I said that Abbe said that he'd die!"

"Such a warm homecoming." Vigi huffed, setting Erna down and reaching out to ruffle Bjarni's hair.

"Did you bring us some treasure back?" Erna asked eagerly, gripping onto his hand and swinging herself back and forth on her heels.

"No, no shiny treasure. Though I did find myself a new thrall, he was a Christian priest." He said, nodding his head to Cerdic.

The two children looked at him for the first time and their eyes widened. "He's huge!" Erna said, letting go of his hand and running up to Cerdic to stare up at him in wonder. "He's almost as big as Fadir!" She yelled, holding out her arms as wide as she could.

Bjarni approached the slave with more caution, looking him up and down with his hand on the hilt of his wooden practice sword.

"Erna, Bjarni," Sven shouted sharply when he looked up to see his children so close to the unpredictable slave. "Away from that slave now!"

Jumping at the sound of their father's yelling the two quickly obeyed and ran back over to their parents.

"Oh my." Dalla said in surprise when she saw Cerdic, putting her hand over her heart. "How did Vigi..."

"It's a long story." Sven muttered to his wife but Vigi heard him and shot him a look.

Arni seemed to notice Vigi for the first time and held out his arms to him, babbling excitedly. Vigi smiled and stepped forward to take his youngest nephew into his arms. "He's gotten big!" He laughed, holding the babe up into the air and making him giggle. He brought him back down to hug him tightly before passing him back to his mother. "Hello Dalla. Lovely as ever." He smiled at her. "He's all yours now," He said, pushing Sven to her. "I'm sick of him."

Sven snorted, rolling his eyes and Dalla grinned. "Thank you for taking care of him, Vigi." She said to tease her husband.

"Of course, he'd be lost without me." Vigi nodded sagely, feigning seriousness for a moment before grinning.

"I'm too happy to properly beat you right now." Sven said, holding up his fist to shake mocking in his brother's face.

"Amma!" Arni suddenly shouted, announcing the arrival of Sven and Vigi's mother.

Freylaug The Seidkona, the petite woman with long pale blonde hair that was beginning to turn grey smiled at her two sons. Vigi moved forward to hug her first, wrapping his arms around her he frowned over her head feeling how thin she was. "Hello Madir." He whispered, smiling when he pulled back from the embrace.

"Hello Vigi." She smiled at him, bringing up a hand to brush over his cheek.

Sven coughed and Vigi stepped to the side so he could embrace his mother. He looked at Vigi startled, no doubt feeling the same thinness as he had under all their mother's layers. Vigi shrugged helplessly, not knowing what to make of it at the moment.

"Oh my boys." Freylaug smiled, pulling away and patting Sven's cheek. "My two beautiful boys."

"Sven is prettier than I." Vigi joked to try and lighten the mode between himself and his brother.

"Hush, be nice to your brother." Freylaugh chastised him, swatting at his arm. "Where is he?"

Vigi raised his eyebrows, not sure what his mother was talking about. "He, who?"

"The man you brought back."

"Oh." He frowned and motioned behind Sven to Cerdic. "That is him, in the ugly robes."

Freylaugh clapped her hands in delight and walked up to the thrall without hesitation. "Madir, wait, he isn't properly trained." Sven said, reaching out to stop his mother from approaching the priest but she shooed his hands away.

"You will give yourself stomach cramps worrying over nothing." She replied, turning back to Cerdic and tilting her head to the side. She started to walk around him, patting her hands on his back and shoulders to feel his muscles. She wrapped her hands around his biceps each then stopped in front of him. She gripped his chin in her fingers, tilting his head side to side to examine it form every angle. Then she stuck her fingers into his mouth to open it and look at his teeth.

The children laughed, Dalla flushed and tried not to smile and both Vigi and Sven put their faces into their hands at their mother's odd behavior.

"Hmm, very nice." She smiled, letting go of Cerdic and stepping back. "He is better than I thought he would be."

Vigi lifted his head and he and Sven shared a look as a sense of understanding passed through them. Sven did not look anymore pleased about Cerdic's being here though.

"Where is Fadir?" Sven asked to change the subject.

Vigi frowned at the question, sure that the Jarl was on his way and he did not wish to be here when he arrived. Not with Cerdic looking as he was. He walked up to Cerdic and motioned to his trunk. "Pick that up, we have to get you proper clothing before we can return to my home."

Cerdic raised his eyebrow slightly at Vigi's orders, murmuring quietly, "Have no fears, I know how to behave in front of a lord."

That he did know, having grown up with his lord father and he was often in attendance with his father's banner men and other titled men. Manners was not something he was lacking, groveling and subservience is what came hard to the proud Saxon. He stood quietly, observing from beneath his cowl as the family reunited. He could understand them now, but for a few words he had not been taught. The squeals of joy at the returning father was something that needed no translation nor was the glowing smile of relief and love on the lovely face of his wife. Cerdic watched them, Sven was certainly blessed with his rambunctious brood and affectionate mate. He saw the curiosity in the children's eyes as they peered at him and he stared back, his expression still hard and neutral.

He would never hurt a child, they were harmless, and he resented Sven from assuming he would. What would it get him anyway but a quick death? Cerdic's eyebrows drew inward slightly and his mouth twitched when the children were called away. His flint blue eyes met Dalla's and he looked away quickly, not wanting to overtly stare at another man's wife, especially one as lovely as Dalla. No wonder Sven seemed worried the entire time they were out at sea, if she was being left alone.

His attention was pulled away when a small, frail bird of a woman approached, clearly the mother of Vigi and Sven, too if they were twins. Cerdic would have been hard pressed to think of another pair of brothers who were so different in appearance, but for the shared fair hair and pale green eyes. The monk stood still as she approached, his eyes noting all of the runic markings on her dress and the necklaces of bones and beads. His scalp crawled when she looked into his eyes and he told himself he was being silly to be scared of this woman. There was no such thing as their heathen magic, that the only true power was of God.

Cerdic stood still, his face flushing pink as the old lady poked and prodded at him, squeezing his hard muscle. He tried to keep his eyes straight ahead as she examined his face but his patience was tested when she forced his mouth open like a horse to examine his teeth. He proud of his teeth, he had almost all of them and kept them fairly white by scrubbing them with coarse salt. He was surprised she had not asked him to strip so she could examine the rest of him. Thankfully she did not, he thought to himself while he struggled to retain some dignity. He made no threat or movement towards the old woman, enduring her exam with stoic grace.

Picking up the trunk at Vigi's order, he glanced at his master, "You will not wait for your father? Do you not wish to greet him...master?"

Remembering to add the last part before Sven would notice, Cerdic looked at Vigi curiously. It confused him, whether on good terms or not, Vigi was under his father's rule here in the town. Cerdic would not have been forgiven if he had simply arrived home from a mission and simply went to bed rather than greeting his lord father. With a sniff, he followed Vigi, do to whatever the shaman needed him to do.

Vigi tensed at the question, having never told Cerdic that the Jarl was his father. He calmed down remembering he did tell him Sven and he were twins so of course they had the same father. Sven needn't deny he was the Jarl's son so it wasn't a hard connection to make.

Vigi sighed and brought up his hand to rub his face as they walked away from the center of the village. "I supposed I should have explained this sooner to you." He muttered, though he loathed bringing it up. "The Jarl does not consider me his son anymore. He disowned me a long time ago. Believe me when I say he would rather not see me. If anyone breathes a word about my blood relation to him, he becomes extremely angry." He snorted suddenly. "Instead people say I am a human and elf halfling. I believe the story goes that after the Jarl slept with my Madir, she was visited by a male elf who had sex with her in her sleep. It explains my maiden face and why I am so talented with magic even though I am a man."

Vigi spotted a vendor's table and motioned for Cerdic to follow him. "This results in people traveling from far away to see me. So it is good for my trade, but it frustrates me that everyone is pretending this lie to be true." He said with a small shake of his head as he stopped at the vendor's table to look at the tunics and laid out on the surface.

"Is there anything for brutes like my thrall?" Vigi asked the woman who was staring at Cerdic with wide eyes.

"Oh, um," She started to shift through the tunics and fabric with a frown. "I've these plain ones." She said pulling out the tunics for Vigi to look over.

"I know it's unusual to buy such fine clothes for a slave, but he won't exactly fit in any of my old tunics." Vigi smiled, picking up the dark brown tunic to look over. He motioned for Cerdic to drop the trunk so he could hold it up and see how well it would go on him. Finding it seemed as though the tunic would fit he folded it over his arm and the woman helped him to find a few more to fit Cerdic's size. They were made with warriors in mind so they were of higher quality fabric even if they were plain.

Cerdic was lucky he was too large to fit in clothes made for slaves. He also picked out some trousers and a cloak from the stand. The woman wanted him to pay less because he was the villages healer and speaker for the gods, but he insisted to pay full price. With the clothes in arms he moved on to look for the towns trapper and fur trader. He bought from him a fairly large fur wrap that would help keep Cerdic warm in the winter months.

Lastly he had to go to the local slave trader to get a collar for Cerdic.

He knew this would be a battle in and of itself.

They had to walk to the very edge of the village to reach the slaver's business and home. Vigi nodded his head in greetings to the men standing around the front yard before walking up to the door and knocking on it. He heard muffled sobbing of a woman from beyond the door and turned back to Cerdic to push him away from the door. "You need to remain outside. In this spot." Vigi told him, putting him as far from the door as possible.

He did not need him making a scene his first day in the village. And if Cerdic saw what Vigi suspected was happening inside, he would get himself killed. Vigi narrowed his eyes at him and pointed his finger close to his face. "I mean it. Stay right here."

He glared at the stubborn slave for a few moments before walking back to the door. He knocked again and this time it swung open and he got an eyeful of a half dressed man with a round mead stomach that was tucking his dick into his trousers.

"Seidrmadr! What do I owe this pleasure?" The man asked with a grin while Vigi turned his head away to avoid looking at the outline of the man's still hard dick in his trousers.

"I need a collar. Leather." Vigi said simply, crossing his arms over his chest.

The slave trader looked around him and whistled at the sight of Cerdic. "You sure you want to keep him? I'd give you a good deal on him."

Vigi snorted. "Yes I'm keeping him. I just want a leather collar for him."

The man stroked his hand through his beard, eyeing Cerdic like he was livestock. "Well, if you say so. But I'll keep my offer open. Though I don't know what you would need such a massive slave for. He'd do a farmer a lot more good. Or even the ship builder!"

"I'm getting impatient."

The man huffed. "Fine. Wait here." He muttered, turning back into his dark house. "Did I say you could move whore!?" He suddenly roared and Vigi heard the slap followed by a young woman's cry of pain that faded into sobbing.

Back
Top Bottom