Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

This Magic Moment [citizenanon, nightsorceress]

Noah really could not come back after that comment. How did you respond when someone talks about their ancestral need to protect ancient magical knowledge that could damn the world if it got out.

Woah?

Noah focused on his food quietly for a few moments. He managed to polish off his burger and started in on his fries.

"Well, we'll get it protected. You because it's your job and me because I like a challenge and am along for the ride. Besides, it's really not something that even magicians get to see everyday, so that'll keep it interesting."

Lily really didn't eat much more after he became quite she did however finish her milkshake. That she was in love with it, however finishing it did giver her a bit of brain freeze. "I am glad you are along for the ride. Not many people would want to be who knows what dangers lay a head, but I do promise I will keep you safe." She smiled at him

Noah wanted to chuckle at the idea of the much smaller petite Lillian keeping him safe, but considering the dangers they might be facing would be of the arcane variety, she was likely to be right. "Well, I appreciate that, just tell me when to duck and cover. No questions asked."

The waitress came back around when she noticed they had stopped eating. Noah payed the ticket with a generous tip then finished his shake off. "Ready to head on back then?"

Lily laughed as he told her to him when to duck and cover it all played out comically in her head. Once he paid for the meal she thanked him and headed back outside to where he had parked his bike. "That milkshake made me feel a wake again thanks for the suggestion." although she was feeling awake from the sugar high he face told a different a story she seemed to look even more tired, and she would probably crash soon.

"Let's see if it'll keep you awake until we get back to your place." Noah straddled the bike and kicked it to life before pulling his helmet on. He looked to Lillian and waited for her to climb on behind him. When she was in place, he revved the engine a couple times before taking off towards her place. Unlike the last time, he did not bother with the slow introduction this time and put the tires to the pavement. They sped down the road without trouble and soon pulled into her driveway. Once there, he parked near the door and turned to look at her. "Curb side service!"

She put her helmet on and climb on the back of the bike. This time she held him tight from the start her body pressed tight against him. Suddenly they were off faster than they were before causing her to hold a little tighter as well. Before she knew it they were back at her place. She climbed off the bike and shook her head at him, "thanks for the heart attack" she teased him a bit. She went to the door and unlocked it and waited for him to come inside.

"I won't go so easy on you next time I take you for a ride." Noah teased before dismounting his bike. He followed her into the house and set his helmet down as he normally did. He did not ask for his jacket back. "Now that we are here, why don't you show me what you're working on and then you can get some rest. No arguing either. Don't make me have to put you to bed."

She lead him into the library and over to the desk. "So I have been looking at these old journals looking for anything I can find about the archive or the ancient power" she then pointed to a large stack of journals "these are the ones I have already read throug" then she pointed to an equally large stack. "These are the ones I have not gotten to yet." She then got a legal pad and pen out for him "just note anything you think might be helpful."

Noah wanted to chuckle at the absurdity of the situation. Combing through ancient journals to save an ancient power from a thief was right out of a novel. He took a seat at the table and grabbed the first journal and cracked it open to the front.

"Okay. I have it from here. Go on and rest." Noah pushed as his eyes scanned the page quickly before going to the next. "I'll wake you if I find out anything big."

Lily sighed but she did not argue. She went upstairs and to her bedroom leaving the door cracked in case he needed her.

The big house was quiet for a time until the sound of keys turning in the lock could be heard from the front door and then sound of the door opening closing. Big heavy boots walked a crossed the hard wood floors and drew closer to the library. A man now stood in the library door looking at Noah sitting at the desk. "Who the hell are you, and where the hell is lily?" He demand. He had a thick Irish accent, and Noah had seen this man before this was the man that Lily had forced up the stairs in the vision she had shown Noah.

Noah had made several notes referencing the book, the page, and the passage for several points that he thought might warrant further research. He did not think they would be the answer, but... you never know. He was brought out of his study session by the sound of a thick Irish accent. He shut the book with a loud thud and looked up at the doorway.

"I'm Noah." He answered and fought the urge to ask him who the hell he was. The man had a key to the house. Or. He could have been a dark magic user. Noah pushed himself back from the chair. "She's asleep right now. You should not disturb her unless it's some sort of emergency." He frowned. "Why?"

The man stared at Noah a moment and then slowly smiled. "Liam I am Lily's uncle, so your Noah Aliya student" Liam then made his way across the room to a side table cabinet and pulled out a bottle of whiskey and two glass. "I came to make sure she was not killing herself trying to find answers but I see you took charge of that." He then poured the whiskey and handed Noah a glass. "How did you get her to take a break"

"I filled her with enough food to make her tired then promised I would take over the research so that there's no break." He shrugged and accepted the glass before holding it up in salute. Noah drank a bit before sitting back down. "I'm to wake her up when I get bored." He chuckled. "Some interesting reading here."

Noah refocused his attention on Liam. "How's everything going out there? Anyone have any idea what's going on or why it happened?"

Liam took a seat in an oversized chair and sighed. "Most are afraid it a lot of power to get through the two protection spells this isn't just some kids messing around" he took a sip of his whiskey "problem the only one that can do anything was never taught what she needed to know." He looked at Noah "tell me what do you think about all this"

"What do I think?" Noah asked. "I think that I'm in no position to even guess at the motivation of the people that did this. I do have two theories though. Theory one is that whomever it is, they're known to you. The magical community is not that large. Someone that powerful is someone that is likely to be known to at least the Council. Secondly, this could also be a smoke screen to mask the person's true intentions. Maybe they want what's hidden there. Maybe they don't. But they had to know the fuss they would kick up. Perhaps this is hiding their true motivation."

Noah sipped his drink. "But that's just a guess really."

Liam just looked at the boy a moment before smiling " you have a really good head on those shoulders, especially for someone that has only been studying for a few weeks. You sound a lot like my brother. And because of that you gave me an idea." Liam set his drink down and moved closer to Noah "my brother was a guardian, his was lily's mother guardian, I have been acting as Lily's since her parents were killed but the council feels that is time she has a real one, I think that person is you."

"I don't want to turn you down out right because Lily has become my friend and is certainly important to me, but there must be a better, more accomplished magician that can better protect her." Noah said from his place at the table. He was interested if a bit reluctant. "Just what is involved in this sort of position?"

Noah certainly wanted to know more, but he was not going to take the position if he was not good for it.

"If you are worried about your magic the council would help with that if you wanted to go through with it, but a guardian is basically like a knight, or a protector. Lily's family has used them for generation and most find it an honor. You would make sure lily is safe you put your life at risk to protect hers" Liam then looked down "like my brother did." He paused a moment "it is dangerous but not having lily live could be even more dangerous the protection around the archive would fall it's linked to her blood if that archive fell into the wrong hands it spell the end for all of us." Liam looked it Noah's eyes "has lily told you how her parents died"

She was that important, huh?

"I'm less worried about my magical abilities than I am about my abilities to stop anyone from harming her." Noah frowned into his cup for a moment to collect his thoughts.

"We should ask her. I am, after all, her student and no, she hasn't really told me that much about them." Noah did no feel it wise to mention the training illusions. "I did not feel it right to ask."

"If she is as an important friend as you say she is, I think it's important you know what happen and why. I could tell you but I think it would be better coming from her, plus it makes her stronger talking about it"! Liam then moved back to the cabinet and got the bottle of whiskey he poured more into his glass and into Noah's. "I'll tell you this no matter what you believe I know you are the right guardian for her." He raised his glass to toaste that point and then downed a big gulp

Noah followed along and swallowed the whiskey in one swig. He set the glass back down on the table and looked at Liam. "I'll talk to her about them when I talk to her about being her guardian." He promised. "After she has had a bit more rest. It's only been a few hours since she's been asleep." He was hoping she would get at least another couple hours.

"How does one become a guardian? Is there a ritual or something?"

Liam finished off his glass and set it down on the desk. "Sounds like a god plan." He took a seat again. "If want to become Lillian guardian then you both most go before the council. She will have to accept you and then in turn you would have to swear an oath. Stuffy old boring stuff but it must done."

"And this oath." Noah said as he considered what he had been told so far. It was an interesting idea and something he could see himself doing should Lillian be interested in having him as her guardian. "Is it somehow magical binding? Will I be compelled to risk my life in the pursuit of saving hers?"

Would he lose his illusion of freewill?

"You will always have a choice, the oath always you to see what your truly wants to do not yours mind as your mind often will try to talk you out of what you really want to do. Just like right now I can see it in your eyes you are struggling with the idea but the oath would stop that struggle when it comes to Lily you would just do. Liam was not sure that made complete sense but he explained it the best he could

"I see." Noah said and examined the glass on the as if it might hold the answer to all the things that he might be wondering right now. "It would seem that I have much that I need to speak with Lillian about." He smiled softly at the thought of it all. "Did you need to see her now?" Noah asked. He was curious about if the man would stick around or be on his way now that Lillian was asleep and taking care of herself.

Back
Top Bottom