Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

This Magic Moment [citizenanon, nightsorceress]

C

citizenanon

It was a night like every other. Noah stood backstage dressed in a comfortable suit for his show. He had decided against the tuxedo and normal magicial trappings as they looked too... flamboyant for his style of illusions. Noah looked into the mirror as he adjusted his jacket. He was not classically handsome perhaps, but he made do on his own. Green eyes and thick, dark hair with a hint of stubble and an air of mystery given by his job made him an attractive person to many people. Man or woman.

He fluffed his jacket once before making sure that everything was as it needed to be. All the props were where they needed to be, so he made his way out to wait for the cue to enter the stage.

*&*

The show had gone well and he was ready for the final illusion. Noah looked out over the crowd and his eyes lingered on the young woman that had been frequenting his shows for the last week. He had no idea who she was and had not been able to find out anything from the staff. As far as he could tell, she was the only repeat customer so far as he could tell.

"Alright, for my next, final illusion, I will need a volunteer from the audience." Noah's amplified voice sprung from the speakers around the stage. As usual, several people in the audience put their hands up in hopes to get a chance to come up on stage. Noah looked around for a moment before his eyes fell on the repeat viewer, he looked directly at her and arched an eyebrow. "You, Miss!" Noah said and pointed at her. The spotlight focused on her briefly, highlighting her at thet able for everyone to see. "Come, the magical spirits tell me you are the right person for the magic we will work tonight."

It was a rather simple illusion for Noah. She would be put into a box and made to disappear in a flash of impressive fire. The box itself would be rendered to ashes by the flames. A trapdoor and assistant would be waiting for her as soon as he closed the lid.

Lillian sighed as she got ready for yet another evening watching the magician. She had seen his act so many times she could do it in her sleep, however the council was not satisfied that he was a simple illusionist so once again she headed to his show.

She wore a simple black dress and wore her long raven colored hair in a braid she shuffled into the theater with the rest of the audience. She was also careful to purchase different seats as to go unnoticed but she still had to sit close enough to the stag to watch carefully. Her purple eyes watched his act very closely throughout the whole performance. As the show drew to a close she knew his last act would be the vanishing audience member what she wasn't counting on was that tonight he called on her.

She wanted to refuse but she knew she couldn't it would just bring unwanted attention to her. She gracefully rose from her seat and made her way to the stag she tried to act excited as so not give anything away.

Noah smiled at Lillian as he helped her onto the stage. She was a very pretty woman. He was glad that he had picked her out of the audience. He did not know who she was. Perhaps a talent scout? Or maybe someone sent to uncover the mysteries of his illusions. Noah had no idea, but he would find out after the show.

"Hello and thank you for accepting my invitation for assisting in the show. Now, if you will just step into the box please." Noah made to assist her into the illusion. The box itself was made of what appeared to be thick pine slabs. It was roughly cut, but would hide what was necessary so that the audience would not see. How, if it was so sturdy, did it burn so very quickly and absolutely down to ashes? There was no smell of accelerant or anything else that would help with the burning. How was it done?

Lillian smiled as he helped her on stag. She did have to admit he was much more handsome in person. She entered the box as he instructed she was shocked to find no smile of gas or anything like that to make the box burn quickly as she thought. She simply smelled the pine wood that the box was made of. Once he shut the door the she did look at the box more closely hoping to find some evidence that the council was wrong and he was just a simple illusionist however that was proving more difficult by the second

There was a soft knock underneath the box and a hatch opened large enough for Lillian to slip through. One of the stage hands was waiting underneath the stage. "Come on down now, Miss. You've got about a minute before he catches the box on fire and you certainly don't want to be up there when he does!" The stage hand smiled up at Lillian and offered a hand to help her down. "Noah will want to come and talk to you about the illusion to make sure you don't tell anyone and to answer any questions you have. If you'd like to have a seat just over here..." The stage hand motioned towards a folding chair that had been set out for her. The room itself was full of magic material and illusions. The stage hand shut the door and moments later, there was a slight tingle in the air as the box erupted into flames. Down below, they felt and heard nothing though.

Lillian looked down at her feet as she heard the knock and the stag hand opened the door. She figured this was how the trick was done however how was burning the box so quickly. She slipped down through the trap door and thanked the hand. She looked at the folding chair and carefully made her way over to to it but as she did she felt as rush up her spine one she knew to be the use of magic and close. Could this magician really have magic? She took a seat and waited.

There was the sound of applause moments later, then it began to slowly disappear until everything grew silent once more. Then just a couple minutes later there was a sound outside the door. It opened to reveal Noah standing in all of his suit wearing, stage illusionist glory. He leaned against the frame and did not say anything for a long moment as he regarded her. "You've been here for many of my shows. You sit in different places each time, dress differently, and don't draw any attention to yourself." Noah looked at her quizzically, "Who are you? Talent scout? Another illusionist?"

Lillian heard the applause rise and fade and she knew it was over. She heard the door open and she rose from her chair as he entered. She moved a little closer to him but stopped when he explained he had noticed her before. "Well sir you have a very good eye to notice me mixed in with all your fans" her voice was soft but had a beautiful and powerful tone to it "before I answer any of your questions I do have one of my own, how do you get the box to burn so quickly.?"

Noah arched an eyebrow at her question. So. Illusionist then. "It's a pine box, they're made to burn quickly and thoroughly." He explained. She should have known that. Of course, most people used an accelerant of some sort to make it happen so quickly, but he had never thought to do so himself. Never needed it. "The audience sees me light it, it catches immediately and then poof. Falls to ashes. You've seen it done before. Several times now I imagine."

He watched her, his eyes flickering over how she walked and moved. She did not have the same mannerisms as most illusionists he met. Nor their assistants. "You're not an illusionist."

It was a statement of fact.

The doubt of his claim shown clearly on her face. She had fire place in her home and did burn line from time to time and there was no way it would burn that quickly not without help. "No I am not an illusionist not in the way you mean." Her comment was held a sense of mystery to it. She needed to get the truth from him now this could be her only chance. "Why did you choose to do stag magic with your life"

"Magic, misdirection, and illusion have always been easy for me." Lying too, but he did not feel the need to tell her that just now. It was fairly obvious already. "I mastered most up close magic by the time I was a teenager." He had been able to force cards through decks, distract people, and surprise just about anyone. "My parents were, if anything, indulgent in letting me choose a way through life and now here I am. Now, what's your real purpose for being here?"

Lillian looked into his eyes as he spoke and she could tell he was hidding something. "Well then you were a lucky little boy to have parents that allowed you the freedoms you have. But my reasons for being here are my own but I have come to try to discover the truth." She then knew what she had to do next. She looked him in the eyes it was then her own eyes seem to sparkle. She knew of he was a witch he would be able to see it if he was not then he wouldn't see any changes she waited for a reaction.

Noah turned his head a bit as her eyes began to sparkle. How had she done that? So far as he knew, there were no trick contacts that were able to have that kind of effect on someone's eyes.

"Okay, Dumbledore. I'll admit, that was a really cool trick. How'd you do it?" Noah asked, his curiosity clearly piqued as he watched her eyes sparkle and waited for her answer. Something told him that she would not share so readily just yet.

She was shocked the council was right he was a witch or a wizard in this case her eyes refocused and return to normal. "So you saw that, but you don't understand what that means?" She realized now this was going to be harder than she thought if he didn't even now what that meant, she would need to think of to explain it all.

"Not a fucking clue." Noah remarked. "You've got an unlimited budget to buy expensive contacts? Maybe some kind of crazy R&D team?"

Noah really had no idea what she was alluding to. Had no idea of the power that he supposedly possessed and certainly had no idea that he had drawn the attention of some other group of people that wanted to know more information about him. "Why don't you tell me what it means and why you are here then."

She looked around and shook her head "no here is not the place to explain this all to you, you will have a hard enough time understanding as it is." She took some steps closer to him and then produced a card it had an address on it but nothing else. "This my home address when your ready for the truth you can find me there."

"I'm really not the sort to be making house calls." Noah joked, "But... in this case." He took the card from her and stepped aside so that she could leave as she did not seem that inclined in talking to him at the moment. Or at least she did not wish to discuss things further. "I will consider it."

Noah disappeared the card. It was a moderately easy trick to pull off and down right difficult to see even close up. "Have a good night, Miss."

Lillian nodded her head moved past him to the door. She exited the threater and headed home. Her home was rather large upscale. But it was because it was a family home passed down from generation. Growing up in the house it was just her and parents but they were gone now and it was just her. She entered her house. She tossed her keys on the table near the door. She then headed upstairs to change in her favorite sweat pants and oversized sweater.

Noah stared at the card for a while after she left. It was all very hush hush, almost cloak and dagger like. Very strange and very, very intriguing. He frowned and tucked it away into his jacket where he could find it later and began to move around, closing down the show and area for the night. It was an hour later before he left. He glanced at the card again and nodded to himself.

He would find out tonight.

It was not a tough place to find. He let his motorcycle coast to a stop behind what he assumed was Lillian's car. It was late in the evening, but he figured she would still be up and there were lights on. Noah cut the engine and stashed his helmet before walking up towards the door. He double checked the address once more before knocking loudly.

Lillian had entered the library after she was done changing and began pulling book after book from her shelf thumbing through each one. Some set aside some she slid back on the shelf. Her library was huge easily over a thousand books. It would take her years to read each one of them. She was so wrapped up in her work she didn't even realize how late was becoming. It wasn't until she heard a knock on her door that she finally stopped.

She set down the book she was looking through and went to the front door and opened it. She was shocked to see him at her door already. "Well I surprised to see you here already I figured you would be the type to think this over for a few days." She stepped a side to let her in

"Call me impulsive." He conceded as he walked inside. "You tracked me down for a reason. Good or bad, I am curious to know what it is."

Noah looked around the house and nodded a bit to himself as he took everything in. It spoke of money and wealth. Not just monetary either. Reminded him of his parents place a bit. Not that he ever visited them. He was quite happy in his apartment. "So, what is it that you have to tell me that you could not at the show?"

She lead him into her home and into the library motioning for him to sit on a couch near the fire place. "Before we start can I get you anything so,etching to eat or drink" what she really wanted to do was slip away and change however it was to late now he was already in her home and it would be weird if she changed her clothes now.

"If this is going to be a long discussion..." Noah glanced around the library. Who owned a library? "... and it seems like it is going to be a long one, water would probably be a good thing to have." He smiled and regarded her state of dress and general attire. She really had not been expecting him so soon. Perhaps that would work to his advantage in the discussion.

"The length of the conversation depends on how much you believe" she then disappeared from the room and went to the kitchen. She returned shortly holding a couple bottles of water handing him one she took a seat in a chair across from him. "Do you believe in real magic, not tricks or illusion but real magic?"

Noah seemed to consider her question for a moment. Did he believe in real magic or not? He had never really seen any before. "I believe that unexplainable things are possible and it would be pretty stupid of me to rule out such a thing from never existing, but I do find it difficult to believe in." He admitted, "I would think that the world would have known about such a thing by now if it existed."

Back
Top Bottom