Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Being Ignored

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otaku_Man

Moon
Hello. I'm kinda new to the site, but I've noticed something I thought seemed kind of off. I sent a request to someone, and she responded and denied my request, but was polite about it. I wanted to respond to thank her (just being courteous), but apparently she put me on her ignore list. I don't know how someone else would look at it, but I found it to be kind of rude. I don't think I said anything offensive, I can provide a copy of the request I sent, but I thought I was being polite to her. I went on to her request thread to bring up the topic since I can't PM her anymore, and apparently there were other people complaining to her about a similar problem. I know this all boils down to being her choice to ignore who she wants to, but I feel like this might become some sort of problem in the future. I might just be thinking too much into this, but this just felt really off compared to the rest of my experience with this site, which everyone else has been really polite and fun to talk to overall. While this is something that bothers me now, I'll probably get over and move soon enough, but if you feel like this may actually become an issue, I'd be happy to give you the name of the user and I can also provide the PM conversation that took place between us, privately though, since I do not wish to publicly out this person.

Hi. I think everyone tries to be polite and not just ignore requests and I am going to assume it probably just your wording that can come across poor. This post alone kinda makes me feel less than pleasant even slightly unsafe if you gonna go that far over a simple ignore from some one who probably felt rubbed the wrong way. I would probably do the same as well given everything here.

Fair enough. I guess at the end of the day, all I'm doing is whining about something just because someone did something I didn't like. I apologize.

I didn't have a problem with you relating your experience until I got to the end of your post and you mentioned offering people the chance to read what she wrote, I thought that was unnecessary.

I understand why some people don't respond to PM's, sometimes declining a request can be seen as offensive and it is sometimes better to say nothing than risk upsetting someone, of course that can also upset some people! Sometimes you just can't win but it pays to have a thick skin as people will drop out on RP's and RP discussions without warning even when they are going well and sometimes you will just not get along with some people, it is just the way it works.

I originally didn't wish to respond to this anymore, hoping that this would eventually blow over and nobody would care, but I felt that I should at leas thank Ariamella. Thank you for understanding. And now I feel I should clear up a few misunderstandings.

First off, I have a feeling that a couple of people might've misunderstood my mention of the "ignore user" function and simply being ignored. I have no problem with my PM being ignored. If I send a request and it's ignored, then I simply assume that the other person isn't interested. The problem was that she denied the request, was polite about it, I simply wished to thank her for the politeness, and I find myself unable to PM her due to being on her ignore list.

As for giving out the PM, I wasn't planning on giving out private messages just because someone asks for them. I would only share that information with an Admin, in a PM. Like I said, I don't wish to publicly out the other person. And it's not like it would be anything negative about her, this was mostly to see if I went too far. I would send the PM I sent her, then give a link to her request thread. While I think that what I requested was along the lines of what she wanted, I felt that like another person's opinion would help to see if I actually came off as a creep. If I did, then I would understand why I was blocked.

I guess I could understand why I was blocked, assuming that she assumed that I might pester her with requests after being denied once. However, simply assuming that everyone is a creep can't be a good thing. If I didn't come off as a creep in my PM, maybe an Admin can send her a PM maybe asking her to cool it with the ignore button. I honestly didn't know what this whole thing would accomplish, so like I said in my previous response to this thread, at the end of the day, I'm basically complaining because someone rubbed me off as rude and I was mad at the time. So I'd like to apologize for any confusion and I'd also like to apologize for wasting everyone's time.

Ariamella said:
When he mentioned giving out the message, I don't think he meant to the general public. I think he meant to one of the Admins, because questions/concerns in this section are generally meant to be for the staff. All y'all shaming him for it should just calm down.

In any case, I totally understand this issue. Although it does seem sort of rude and uncalled for, all we can do is hope that people aren't so quick to press the "ignore user" button. The only problem it would provide in the future would be making the site seem uppity and snobbish, though that would only occur if a majority of users were like that. Thankfully they're not, and in my experience here and elsewhere, there usually aren't a lot of people like that in forum roleplaying sites.

I hope you are able to find partners! Remember that even if it doesn't work out with someone, there will always be someone better! Hehe.

Finally, a voice of reason! I was reading through this thread just now and was amazed by how touchy people got. It really took me by surprise. I hope that's not the general attitude of this site...

For what it's worth, I actually find it totally weird that someone would ignore another user just because they didn't want to roleplay with them. It's actually kind of sociopathic. Like, we must never interact ever again, even to exchange pleasantries, because I didn't like your idea. How strange! Like other people have said, it's their decision and nothing can be done, but it's definitely an odd habit a lot of people do not have.

Sorry you got so many rude replies, OP! You were right to think it was off-putting and frankly rude. But let's be honest, a lot of roleplayers don't exactly possess refined social graces...

This thread should not still be getting responses. It wasn't even a "question" to begin with, it was more of a rant. I'm going to go ahead and close it before it gets more attention and begins to push down people who genuinely do have a question they need answered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom