Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A Mother's Trials (Tesora & Greeneyed23)

Nathan took her at her word and took off the moment he had a clear space, his own skill rather impressive.

Roland stared after them for a long moment then shrugged. "Those kids are weird babe. I definitely want more."

He smiled and leaned over kissing her against hen took her hand. "I will tell you this. I had celebrations. At least of me. For my homecoming I'd much rather just have you three. Ah well." he kissed her hand gently nudging his mount about, thus making hers turn as well, and sending them back towards home.

She smiled. "You have to give our tennants a good party," she smiled and then started to run her horse behind her children, watching as Catherine kept her head down, managing to steal the lead from her brother and make it back to the stables before her brother and then giving a grin as she brought her horse to a halt, stucking her tongue out at her brother. "Ha! I win..." she beamed and then hopped down with help from the groom. Elizabeth laughed softly and then brought her horse to the stable, thanking the man who took the reins from her and helped her down.

"Alright you two...go freshen up for dinner, put on your best...You have to look like more than improper little heathens...and I mean it Nathan...wear a shirt that doesn't have a patch in it aye?" she asked then kissed them, sending them off before turning to take Roland's hand. "Come my love...I have to freshen up as well and I'm sure you could do the same," she beamed at him, giving him a grin before walking with him up to their bedchamber where their best clothes were already laid out to enjoy the feast in his honor. "I know large feasts were never something you thoroughly enjoyed but...the tenants want to celebrate and one feast won't kill you," she smirked at him and then smiled before brushing her hair back from her face and then started to undress, making sure to wash up a bit between her thighs, consideirng their lovemaking earlier. Dressed in her shift, she grabbed her corset and began to lace it up in the front and then put on her gown. It was a finer one made of dark blue silk that fit her curves and he made sure to leave her hair loose in soft waves down her back. Next came circlet and matching veil and then she turned to smile at him.

"One night my love, and you must promise one dance with me. We only have the feast at Yule every year and this year was missed thanks to William. It's as much a celebration for you as it is for us all to be home and safe...untouched by William's evil..."

"As you say my love." he smiled and watched his family, spurring to stay close but not really int he race. Not due to anger or depression but simply because he had been struck my memory and imagination.

He waved away the groom that came to help him and kissed his daughter and hugged his son before taking his wife's hand and allowing her to lead him up to the bedchamber.

Once there he bathed fully, then went to examine his clothes. He had ordered several new suits but only one had been prepared so far.

This one was all black but well fitted, draping his powerful body well. He smiled at her and nodded. "I will behave my love. I promise. And one dance? Is that all you wish of me?"

He gave the customary bow of the requested man, then leapt into a very impressive pirouette before bowing to her again. "I plan to dance the night away with the most beautiful woman i know. And when you are done with me perhaps I will dance once or twice with Catherine if she is not to old for such things."

He offered his arm and leaned in kissing her neck. "Darling no matter who or what else I am or become I want you to remember. i am your husband and I love you. Your slightest wish is my command." He kissed her cheek. "What pleases you are my passions." He kissed the corner of her mouth. "What hurts you are my foes." He kissed the same spot. "What saddens you are my hates." He then kissed her fully and smiled. "What you love I love. Shall we My Lady?"

She smiled, kissing him back and giving a contented sigh. "I love you," she whispered then nodded. "Aye...we shall," she let him lead her downstairs. The hall was already active when they reached it and she could smell the roasted pheasant and various puddings. Trays were piled high with lemon tarts and apple tarts as well. Glazed carrots, rice from the east and venison. The cook had outdone herself for sure.

"My Lord Roland. It is glad we are to see you back!" A portly woman exclaimed. Middle aged, she had been the midwife to aid in both of Elizabeth's labors.

"Mistress Fitz..." Elizabeth greeted then gave Roland's arm a squeeze. "How is Master Fitz?"

"Well as ever...and Jack as well. I just was told today that his wife is expecting. Four grandchildren. I can hardly believe it," she laughed then smiled. "I expect I will be needed before long back at the keep aye?" She teased them. Elizabeth smiled at her.

"Only if We are very fortunate Mistress Fitz. it is lovely to see you." He kissed the woman's cheek then had to pull Elizabeth away. They had many others to greet.

In a breach of protocol first he went to the skilled laborers, the peasants, greeting them all warmly and introducing himself and his wife to those that he did not know. The nobles scowled at this behavior then noted how the atmosphere of the party, already rather light grew even happier. He was playing to the crowd but in a much more sincere and real way than anyone else they had ever seen.

And for a number of reasons. He knew that no lordship, no matter how wealthy or powerful, could last long without the aid and work of all the citizens. He already had plans to actually make the nobles work as well, and though he knew they would be unpopular he really did not care. This was about the greater wealth, prosperity, and glory for Salisbury, not that of any one man.

Still he did assure the nobles they were in no danger of losing their place, though many hinted heavily that either they or their kin would be perfect fits in Roland's household, he turned down everyone. He didn't work that way. Ever. He made this clear and soon it was quite apparent to everyone. No one had ever ruled them, or anybody else for that matter, in the way Roland intended to.

Elizabeth stood by her husband's side, interjecting when she found it necessary or wanted to, smiling and laughing with all those they spoke with. She had always valued every person under their protection, despite their birthplace. And Roland shared her sentiments on treating everyone equally even if they weren't equal in wealthy. The lesser nobleman and kinsmen of her husband's house often thought themselves better than those who worked the land but those people were the reason they had food in their bellies. Of course, none of them had liked when she had implemented a policy of not having thieves hung in the public square. She did not want to see men killed for small indiscretions like stealing a bit of bread or cheese. Most of the time, if a thief was caught, she sought the root of the problem and more often than not, little boys stole for a bit of fun and mischief and if it wasn't that, it was hunger. She saw no need to murder innocent children for trying to feed themselves and had implemented a house to house the urchins and feed those who sought a meal. Even in rough times, she tried to ensure everyone ate as well as they could and would go without if need be.

Her way of thinking was not very looked up to, especially since public displays of justice were a common form of entertainment. She liked to think men and women could be reformed through education and understanding, rather than punished with death or torture for the smallest of infractions. As the rounds were done, she took her seat with him at the dais and then smiled. "I forgot what a great politician you are," she teased him then turned his head, kissing him gently, taking his hands. "You are a man of true worth..." she whispered and then turned, looking at the crowd. "I am curious. You haven't touched wine since you came back from the Holy Lands. Did you decide it didn't agree with you?" she asked him, grabbing her own glass of wine and taking a gentle sip.

He smiled. "Something like that. I found i disliked the way it affects me. And I hate the way it alters my thoughts. Could not allow that. SInce then I've come to find I am much calmer and relaxed without drinking than with. So if you would be kind enough to remember that for the future I would be most grateful." he kissed her hand. 'I'd hate to accidentally insult you by not taking of your wine."

He chuckled sipping his water. "I will also tell you this...If I act drunk then be sure i am up to something and I'm trying to disrupt someone. So please try to help me maintain the illusion." he grinned wickedly and kissed her hand again.

"I already foresee many moments when such action might be necessary....now tell me this my lovely bride? Where are the children?"

She smiled and nodded as he explained why he might be acting drunk and then laughed a bit at the mention of their children. "Well I do believe Catherine is enjoying playing with some of the village children and Nathan is ever the watchful eye over her," she smiled and then finished her wine before leaning forward, kissing him and caring not if anyone saw them. Drawing back, she grinned. "I just hope they aren't getting into any sort of mischief. Though it is a typical thing. Nathan set fire to the King's coach once..." she said then smirked a bit. "He's a smart lad, and definitely in need of a strong guiding hand. I'm certain you'll do exactly that. Male heads of house and Nate have hardly ever gotten along...but he seems to listen to you."

She took a bite of roasted venison and then looked at the crowd as they danced and enjoyed themselves before looking at him. "Ready to dance with me darling?" she asked him curiously, looking back at him, offering her hands to him as they began a jig.

Roland laughed. "He did see the results of my skill once, and he also watched me punch the king my love." He kissed his wife then turned to watch the band for a moment.

He looked back as she made her request and smiled, standing and straightening his suit, then took her hand and walked with her onto the floor then taking both her hands began to dance the jig with speed and skill tapping out the rhythm with thunderous strength that made the floor echo with resonating booms yet offset by light rapid taps and beats. He did it so quickly and smoothly it blended with the music and soon the entire floor was imitating him making the music seem a thousand times louder.

As he danced he called out. "Darling I will always dance with you! You know that!"

His lightness of foot made Elizabeth grin. She felt sixteen again, keeping in time with him as the jig continued, causing the hall to become a great loud group of dancers indeed and when the music was done, she took his hand, leading him off to the side before kissing him deeply, her cheeks flushed from exertion. "I love you," she said happily and then gasped as Catherine collided with her legs before giving an oops. Elizabeth watched as their daughter tugged on her father's tunic to grab his attention and then curtseyed. "You have to dance with me now father!" she exclaimed loud enough for him to hear. The music not as lively and a more slow dance. Elizabeth smirked at her and then turned to her dear husband.

"Aye Roland. I fear you have two ladies with which to divide your attention now," she teased him, giving a smile before kissing his cheek and then drawing back.

Roland smiled and kissed his wife back then sighed as she stepped away then smiled at his daughter scooping her up. He rested her on his arm and took her hand with his other and swept her off into the dance laughing.

Nathan tugged his mother's skirt lightly, then bowed to her, taking her hands and lead her onto the dance floor as well. Though he did not reach her waist in height he was confident and just as light of foot as his father, and very careful to stay in step with her and the music.

The nobles watched with a mix of emotions. most of the men were irritated and embarrassed, while most of the women found it charming and sweet. A few men took the initiative and gathered their own children for the dance, while the women did the same leaving the grumpy people on the edge of the floor.

Catherine was giggling as her daddy chatted with her and swirled her about, and teased her reminding her that she was to remain small like this forever so he could always dance with her.

Nathan, stoic as ever, did not speak but he was smiling up at his mother and had even made sure to keep his suit well kept and his hair styled in the way she liked.

She smiled down at her son, giving him a wink. "You're certainly a great dancer little one," she beamed down at him, letting him lead her about and ignoring the disgruntled people who found the dancing with children to be in bad taste.

As the evening came to a close and the last visitors gone, the children exhausted and in bed, Elizabeth smiled at Roland and made her way up to their bedchamber before beginning to undress. "I do believe that you have made our daughter quite happy with your dancing," she smiled at him, taking off her veil and jewelry and then began to take off her kirtle, tossing it onto the back of a nearby chair before walking over to him, helping him undress, her fingers unlacing his doublet as she looked up at him, feeling the warmth growing between them.

"It was good seeing you so carefree and I admit I think it funny at how jealous you were making everyone by dancing with me and then with Catherine...I think you've made her year," she grinned before brushing her fingers through his hair before parting his doublet and tossing it next to her own dress. "Sit...let me get your boots," she said, pushing him toward the edge of the bed before kneeling down and slowly beginning to take off his shoes, looking up at him with a smile.

"I have to ask Roland. Aside from your family, what did you miss most, being so far away. I can't imagine how different the culture is..." she mused thoughtfully, working to remove his other boot before starting to unlace her corseting so that she was only in her thin shift.

He started to argue but then she pushed him so he sat on the bed edge and watched her remove his boots, somehow entranced by the simple act. It had been long long years since anyone but himself had put on or removed his clothing, (he hated letting servants do it), but his wife's kindness touched him deeply.

He had to shake himself to think about her question, his fingers reaching out to stroke her hair,then to help her undress as well. He smiled stroking the small of her back when he decided on the answer. "The quiet. The place is lovely but there are people everywhere. And so much noise. Arguing, chanting, praying, singing, fighting, living, breathing...just constant noise. Everywhere and always. here..." he held up a finger.

Though they could hear the soft working of the servants, the only other sound was the crackling of their fire and the soft flickering of the lamps and candles. He smiled and cupped her face gently drawing her into a kiss. "But it was always you i missed most Elizabeth. Your face i saw when i closed my eyes." He kissed her again, his fingers lightly stroking her cheek and neck.

"And Catherine. Would have missed Nathan but..." he smiled kissing her again. "Did i mention that they are absolutely wonderful kids? And you did a great job raising them." He kissed her yet again nipping her lip this time. "Though Catherine is an impeccable little lady, i must say she reminds me alot of that man crazy cousin of yours that always tried to get me in bed...what was her name? Isadora? Isabella? Some spanish thing... odd lady. Sweet but...odd."

As he drew her into a kiss, she kissed him back and then smiled, bringing herself back as he praised her once more and then smiled. "I pray she isn't..." Elizabeth laughed and then kissed him again before sighing. "I do believe you promised to make love to me in a bed aye?" she whispered softly and then drew her shift over her body, bringing her body against his while he was still in his breeks and then sighed, pressing her forehead to his, her palms cupping his cheeks, savoring the roughness of his beard and body hair. "But I want you to tell me more of your time in the holy land. I want to hear everything about it," she whispered softly and then drew back, giving a smile before taking his hands and letting them cup her breasts before her own hands moved up to his shoulders, gripping them with her slender fingers and then she moved forward kissing his lips gently, then his jawline before peppering soft kisses down his neck to the place between his shoulders and throat and then looking back up at him with a smile.

He smiled and lifted her up and lay her back on the bed kissing her, pushing his breeches down laying atop her fully nude, his lips still running over her face and lips.

"What would you know my love? Of the battles? The Knights Hospitalier? Of the politics?"

Pressed against her, his hands running over her with the same eager hunger as ever. "Ask me anything and I shall answer. i have no secrets from my beloved." He ground against her, his eyes nearly shut with the pleasure of having her so close, and the very feeling of touching her once more.

Back
Top Bottom