Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A Mother's Trials (Tesora & Greeneyed23)

"so I see bitch. Now I am sick of your foulness. Strip."

He pointed at the children and servants. "Them too."

He grinned as the guards began to grapple with the children. "You have been a bug in my ass far too long bitch. I don't care about the rules. i will have you. You have no protection. No power. No rights. No husband."

The unmistakeable sound of a unsheathing blade was followed by a voice so cold that it forced the guards to stop and look.a massive man with long black hair and empty and cold blue eyes stood by their monarch his sword drawn pressed to the man's throat. "You will find Your Grace to be quite mistaken there."

Roland glared at William with hate in his eyes. "I am Roland Eckert Lord of Salisbury. And you will release my wife, children and holdings to me Your Grace. Or i will cut your fucking head off."

William glared back at Roland. "Lies. Roland is dead."

Roland smirked. "You recognize me...Your Grace. i see it. but i also have documents from his Holiness backing me. And i wear my signet ring. And the wedding ring that makes the woman you are mistreating my wife. So least you wish me to take what is mine by force...stand.Down."

His voice was growing darker and more dangerous with every word.

William tried to think up further arguments. He seized a rather weak one. "She killed the Bishop! She-"

"it is not her hands that have blood on them Your Grace."

Williams hands were indeed soaked in blood, while his dagger was missing.

William snarled. "So what!? Who will back you?! I am King!"

Roland smiled sweetly. "Why these good people."

At his word, Robert, Henry, William's own brothers, Brian, and several dozen others walked into the light.

William glared at all of them then hissing his hate snarled. "Release the little bitches!!"

The guards obeyed and seeing sense fled the church. William sneered at Roland. "Will you kill me in a church?"

Roland smiled just as sweetly. "Of course not. Your life is not mine to take. Sadly it is not that of my dear wife's. You will have to answer to his Holiness for the murder of a good man in the service of God. And to these men and women."

he pulled his blade away and sheathed it. He continued to smile. "However. you did break sanctuary. you committed murder upon sacred ground. You attempted the rape of my wife, my children, and my servants. as their father, lord, and husband, and the former Captain General of the Papal Armies, i am due some...justice."

He punched William in the face so hard everyone heard and saw William's jaw and cheek shatter under the blow. The King flopped to the ground unconscious. Roland then grabbed him by the leg and dragged him to the leg and lifting him easily hurled him from the building.

Henry and Robert looked at Roland shaking their heads. "you play a dangerous game... assaulting a monarch?"

Roland sniffed. "I acknowledge only one monarch. The King of Kings. perhaps if we have a real man on the throne once this beast is done i might rejoin this court. Until then i refuse to accept his rule. His authority is no longer known. Now get out."

They started to argue but his eyes blazed so dangerously that they filed out save Brian who smiled at his larger cousin nervously. Roland smiled. "You can stay. Now if you will excuse me."

Catherine and Nathan had fled to their mother's side, as had the steward, guard captain, Jessica, and several of the other maids. Now they watched as Roland, still in his black armor and festooned with weapons, moved toward them. He knelt before them and looking on at Elizabeth he held his arms up and open. "i am home my love...will you take me back??"

As he told his guards to strip her children, she went toward them only to be stopped by the sorry bastard who began to say she was his and that he would have her.mshe was about to retort when she heard the sound of her long dead husband. Everyone seemed to freeze in place and Elizabeth slowly turned to see him coming to the forefront. So much the same but so different. Battle hardened and his skin golden from years in the desert sun, and with scars a plenty but still Roland. She felt faint. Vaguely, she heard him addressing the king and when released, she rushed from the king's side, grasping her children close and holding them tight. Catherine's dress was torn and Nathan sported a bruise but they seemed otherwise whole. She closed her eyes, tears of relief flooding her eyes before she kissed them and then turned to see her husband's relatives. The most satisfying moment came when he gave the man his due and slammed King William in the face. To watch the powerful man collapse onto the ground was satisfying indeed. She gave Jessica a once over, her captain slipping her an arm of comfort. As the fuss ended, she turned toward him and watched as her strong powerful and still breathing husband came toward her.

As he knelt before her, looking every bit the knight he was, she felt herself fall into his arms and start sobbing with joy, relief and sorrow all at once. She framed his face and took in every new scar and then she curled around him. "Oh Roland...Roland I can't believe it..." She whispered, sobbing against him and then turning to her children.

"Catherine....Nathan, look....it...it is your father come home at last...." She whispered, drawing them both close. Catherine looked at the tall stranger wide eyed before biting her bottom lip.

"You are my father?" She asked, astonished. Elizabeth looked to Roland, still in a state of disbelief and shock before realizing he had no idea about Nathan.

"Nathan, this is the wonderful man I tell you about all the time. Your father...and Roland, I don't think you ever had the joy of meeting your son before now..." She sniffed.

When Elizabeth fell into his arms he could not hold himself back any longer. Crying his own tears of joy and relief he pulled in tight to his chest and kissed her rapidly but with all the long lost love he held for her. All the years lost between were in those two quick kisses, though the second also held his question. Would she still wish him to be her husband in truth?

She distracted him by speaking to the children. his babies. His sweet children.

He looked at Catherine, smiling his eyes bright. "Yes dearheart. You have grown so much." he held out his arms to her and was touched when she gave in and moved into his embrace, even returning it. Roland kissed his daughter's cheek and head, making her giggle despite herself as his stubble tickled. he then gently pushed her into his wife's arms and stood his face dry and serious.

He turned to Nathan. "Hello young sir. I've heard much of you. A fine brave young man. You have grown into a noble young Lord. Will you greet me as friend?"

He knew he had no right to request more. he had never even known the boy lived until he had arrived and seen him.

Nathan stared up his father. The two were reverse mirrors of each other. Roland was tall while his son was small even for his age. Roland was broad in the shoulder and thick with muscle, Nathan small and stringy. Roland was dark and scarred, Nathan pale and smooth. yet for all of that they were clearly father and son. They had the same face, the same hair, the same brilliant blue eyes. They were even standing in precisely the same way relaxed yet erect their eyes locked.

Nathan considered all of this and his sobbing mother and sister behind this man. This man he had hated. But why? he was alive now. and home. and he had just saved them...and he knew why he had gone...he could still hate him..he could he really..."Dad?"

Roland did not stir but he spoke softly. "Yes son?"

Nathan walked up to him and Roland knelt again, until the two were on eye level. Nathan stopped when they were only a few inches apart studying the dark scarred face of the man before him. Roland's eyes stayed on the boy's letting him judge as he will.

Nathan nodded slowly then leapt into his father's arms hugging him and for the first time in years began to sob, crying all the tears he had held back, all the hate, rage, and fear he had wanted, needed to share with a father. He clutched at his dad sobbing, not surprised when Catherine arm's joined his about their father's neck.

Roland held his children to him not speaking just holding them, unable to speak or explain his feelings. He turned toward his wife and unable to say more he pulled her into the embrace squeezing her to him, forming a circle with their bodies about their children. now he knew what to say. "i love you all so much. Thank you." The thanks were for so much he would never be able to name them all.

Brian looked around then stepped out. This family needed their time together. he would ensure they got it.

How long they stood there, Elizabeth didn't know but all of them were one. After years of fighting to remain free, turning down suitors it had all been worth it because her dear husband was alive. Changed but still her husband. After the reunion, certain things had to be done. Those that the king had not killed in the abbey set to work preparing the dead and when all was said and done, it was time for all of them to return to Salisbury. It was a half day's journey and was nightfall when all was returned. Aside from imprisoning some of the servants, there was no damage done to houses or infrastructure. Thank god for it. Dinner was a quick affair and she had Jessica draw a hot bath for Roland's use in their chamber. Their chamber. She could scarcely believe it and felt as nervous as she had on her wedding night, not knowing what to expect. The lust was still there, the desperate need she had felt when they had first met, intensified by carnal knowledge. Would he want her tonight? Would he be to tired? Other questions filled her head that made her want to pester him but all would come in good time. She had certainly had a long day.

After tucking the little ones into bed, she looked to Roland, holding out his hand before leading him upstairs, shutting the door behind them before looking at him. Without a word, she moved forward and then started to help him with his armor, pausing once everything was off and he was only in tunic and hose. She swallowed, pressing her forehead to the back of his shoulder. "I keep thinking I'm going to wake up and this all be a dream. It's so surreal. They told me...they told me you had died at Jerusalem but I didn't want to believe it...all these years, and it was true..." she whispered before moving around and looking at him, reaching up and stroking his cheeks. "Words...just can't describe the elation and relief I feel at being able to touch you...to see you with my own two eyes..." She felt the lump at the back of her throat and then fell against him. "I have missed you terribly."

He smiled and pressed into her hand. "My darling Elizabeth." He reached up stroking her cheek as well.

His tunic was filthy and his leggings the same. Though they hung loose on his hips his armor had pressed them tight to his flesh.

On the way home his children had wanted to know what took so long. So he had told them about his time in the Holy Land, then his time in the Vatican. Finally he told how three weeks before the Bishop, sensing William was going ever more unstable had sent a letter warning the Pope. Roland had come across this letter and had been enraged. he had not done anything foolish but he had only just been convinced to let the Pope help him.

He then rode for all he was worth from the Vatican across the mountains, over the lands, to the ports of Normandy, then killing three of Williams spies had stolen a ship and crashed it into the docks at Dover where Brian had come running to find his cousin embattled with several of William's men but despite the number he was still winning.

After killing the lot of them they had sought out the people that had been at the Abbey that day and had either requested or demanded there presence and seeing the danger Roland presented, for he could easily kill William and take the throne for himself, they had settled to aid him.

Now he was home with his wife and his children and servants were safe in their beds, his gold and other booty waiting in their vaults. He smiled down at her. "There has ever only been you my love." He kissed her deeply then with a groan pulled free.

He started to speak then shook his head and pulled off the tunic. The skin here was just as dark and bunched with muscle, and covered with a thick hair, as well as many many many scars. He had been cut, burned, stabbed, slashed, beaten, lashed, and who knew what else. The once smooth pale skin was now dark with hard scar tissue.

He then pushed his leggings off his hips letting them fall down to his feet and stepped out. His legs were much like his upper body, thick with muscle, hairy, and scars. He had suffered many wounds, broken bones, and other hurts in his time yet here he stood. His penis stood out from his center like an exclamation point, possibly even larger and heavier than when she had last seen it, and much darker. He licked his lips smiling at her then unable to resist reached up and pulled her in close for another kiss letting it press against her.

"Join me my love?"

He reached behind her undoing her dress and gently opening it along with her shift though he let them hang loose on her shoulders. It would be entirely up to her.

She watched, lust pooling deep in her belly as she watched her husband strip. Lord he was so different and yet, the look of hardened muscle, hair and scars only excited her further. Lord what was wrong with her. She had spent many a night lonely in her cold bed and had never strayed from it and it seemed as though years of celibacy were looking for their comeuppance and just dues in his battle hardened hands. Elizabeth let her eyes trail down to that part of him and saw him already throbbing with need and her insides flushed with heat and so did her cheeks. Then he was drawing her close and kissing her again and lord it felt good to be kissed by him. As he withdrew from her and asked him to join her, she felt his large fingers behind her, undoing her simple gown and shift. As he paused, she looked up at him and smiled before slowly letting the material pool at her feet to reveal her nakedness beneath. She was still slender but her breasts were perhaps a bit fuller than before and the nipples dark and rosey. There was that small furrow of hair just above her sex, thin, and soft as silk, the same color as her blonde locks. She was shapely despite her slender frame and gently took his hand, letting him in the tub before following after him into the water. Without a word, she dipped a rough cloth into the water and used her rose soap since no lye soap was on hand for the moment and then began to wash away the dirt and grime of his travels, pausing sometimes to explore his scars before looking at him.

"So many battles..." she murmured then leaned forward and kissed him gently before withdrawing. "I...I feel like a maiden on her wedding night. I haven't been with a man for as long as you've been gone..." she whispered softly. "I'm nervous and excited...anxious," she said then looked at him. "I'm glad to see you home my love. My sweet Roland," she whispered then sighed, pressing her body against him, kissing his neck and then giving a gentle sigh.

"When I found out I was with child, not to long after we parted, I couldn't wait to see your face and then Nathan..." She gave a smirk. "He is just as stubborn as you are and nearly as hard headed. He gave me quite a bit of trouble...earlier than when he was due, born on Christmas day after hours of not wanting to come into the earth and when he did he was a loud squawling thing..." She sighed. "And when I was told of your death with the fall of Jerusalem, I cried so terribly long for you would never get to see the boy so much like you..."

She looked at him and then looked down, washing away the filth on his skin before looking back at him. "It's been so very hard without you Roland. So many people telling me what to do, who to remarry...I've run Salisbury to the best of my abilities with several interesting suitors coming to pay visit to me. Least of which, the King..." She shook her head. "It is a shame you couldn't do more than hit him because the man deserves castration for what he wanted to do to me...and to Catherine...I wish he had been in the coach when Nathan had set it on fire..." she said with some acid to her tone before looking at him with a sigh and then dipped the cloth lower into the water as she washed him.

"Your son can be quite a mischievous sort of lad...I imagine he gets it from you," she said then smiled before looking back at him. She bit her bottom lip and then brought the cloth to his neck and jaw, scrubbing what skin she could find beneath the hair.

Roland smiled at his wife pulling her closer onto his lap, though he pushed his erection down between his legs so they could get closer without it stabbing into her body.

He let her work, smirking at her troubles. He had always been hairy but it had been the downy soft fuzz of a young man when he had left. Now it had had years to roughen up and thicken.

As she touched and played with his scars he smiled. "Is there enough of me to keep my beautiful love?"

He was lightly stroking her side and hips, his fingertips stroking the smooth skin there. "You know...you are even more beautiful now than you were that day I left...I actually was afraid that you would remarry while I was gone. Find yourself a good looking man. Someone who would make you even more beautiful beside you..." he grinned kissing her.

"But if you aim to keep me I will not complain or argue. No man could ask for a better or more beautiful wife."

At her words about his striking of the king he grinned. "Darling if he wasn't currently the King i would have ripped his head off and shoved up into his body." he kissed her again. "As to my holdings I have heard some things. Namely that not only do i still have all of them but they have expanded. The people are safe and happy. The treasury is full. I am privileged to have such a wonder for a wife. If it were in my power I would give you even more power my love."

He sighed and kissed her again and shifted, making his hard rough chest press against her breasts dragging lightly over her nipples. he moaned at the touch. "You cannot know how much i have missed your touch....forgive me you do in reverse. But at least you had those sweet children of ours to love you...." He chuckled. "Burnt carriages or not. I had horses and warriors. Not nearly as pleasant. And I am certain mine smelled worse."

He kissed her again. "You did a remarkable job raising them my love. I actually fell unworthy of my title. it is rightfully yours. you kept it safe and true and raised it's heirs. I would happily give it you...if I could." Sadly there was no way for him to do so. The only way she could elgally do ti is if she was the only living member of her family, (or his) still alive.

She smiled at him gently, feeling the heat rise up in her as her nipples were teased by the coarse hair of his chest and then she bit her bottom lip. "I think I'm grateful enough having you home. And I couldn't marry again...I didn't find love with anyone and I always had the hope that you would return home to me. And you did," she whispered softly before dropping the rag and then slowly kissing him, letting her mouth capture his as if to capture his very soul. "I am so very happy to see you home Roland," she whispered on a breathy sigh and then gently allowed her hands to move up and over his roughened skin. "We both have had our trials my love...but now you are here, and you are safe and sound, and you have me and you have your beautiful children...And I plan on keeping you. I do believe we promised each other on our wedding day that we would be together until death do us part," she whispered softly and then kissed him again, letting herself give into the feelings that were strong within her.

"I've missed you. So many nights I lay awake praying for you to return to me. When I was told you were killed I prayed that God bring you back to me safe and sound and alive. And it may have taken a long time but you are here now." She whispered the words and then brushed her fingers through his hair before grabbing the soap. She wet his hair, scrubbing it clean and then used a pitcher to wash the soap from it and then her lips were upon his again, drawing her hips closer to him and unable to help the moan that escaped her lips. "My love," she whispered. "I missed you so," she whispered softly and then drew back, looking at him.

She sighed and curled against him, resting her head on his shoulder and let her hands explore his frame. "I forgot how big of a man you were...you always made me feel so tiny and fragile...as if I were glass...except when we made love..." She gave a soft laugh. "Do you remember our first time together. I was scared to pieces but you soothed me well. You kissed me until I could scarcely breathe and then when you took me I don't even remember feeling pain...I was lucky to have a considerate husband. And I'm luckier still to have him back in my life. You are my greatest blessing. You gave me our children..." she murmured and then kissed him again.

He smiled and kissed her back with each kiss, letting her speak her heart.

As she curled against him he wrapped his arms about her squeezing her gently but tightly to his chest.

"How could i forget my first and only my love? i was so scared. You did look so small. So wonderful. So delicate. All i could hear was my mother's advice." his other was an exceptionally dignified but good mother and woman, who had trained her son to respect and love women, as she had his father who taught him to be a man.

"She told me on our wedding day that i had to be gentle with you." He chuckled and imitated his mother's regal yet warm voice. "Roland my dear you have chosen a good strong woman but she is also small. You grew large dear boy. Remember that. Large men are giants in this world. You must take care with that which is precious." he grinned even wider. "Then she grabbed my face, kissed me, then turned me to look at you. "And that my son is the most precious treasure you will ever have."

He kissed her again. "I was so afraid i did hurt you that night...and every night after." He stroked her cheek and neck lovingly. "It always felt so wrong for this monster to have such a delicate flower for a bride..." he chuckled. "But now....you are still delicate but I see more of you. me gone so long and you doing so much.... You are a wonder my love. It is my honor and my blessing to have such as you as a wife and I am overcome that such as you still loves me."

He kissed her deeply pulling her even closer his hands moving to wrap about her back and sides as hi erection slipped free to press between her legs and against her bum. At the touch of his swollen shaft against her soft flesh he moaned into the kiss. He broke the kiss looking at her his eyes bright but still holding the question.Do you still want me as husband in truth? Shall we join us together? He is not sure. He would understand if she refused. He was gone so long.

He held silence waiting for her reaction.

She smiled. "I can't believe that in truth we've been nearly a decade. I was only sixteen but so very much in love with you at that age," she whispered softly before kissing him. "I love you still, in the enduring way, rather than the girlish crush I had on you when you decided to take me as your wife..." She smiled gently. "And you are not a monster. You are a good man, strong and true...though I'm quite surprised you didn't find a lovely exotic woman to have some relief with," she teased him and then flushed, giving a sigh as he moved her and kissed her, his shaft positioned at the entrance of her womanhood. She gave her own moan before drawing back, seeing the question in his eyes. She looked at him and then she leaned forward and kissed him deeply. A womanly kiss full of passion and longing, and then her body slowly moved, sinking atop him. At the feeling of being filled with him, she gave a gasp and moan. Her body, unused to the feeling after so many years was tight about him and her inner muscles felt the slightest of discomfort but it was so easily forgotten as she leaned forward to kiss him.

"Have me Roland? As hard as you want, as gentle as you'd like...claim me again," she whispered, looking at him and then kissing him again, golden hair falling down her back and dipping into the water while her hips straddled him.

He smiled then moaned as she moved onto him. He moaned with her then studied her face for a long moment at her words.

He gently gripped her sides and pulled her even closer kissing her hungrily, pushing himself fully into her then held still as he kissed her, not moving for a long while, until slowly he began to rock into her slowly and gently, making soft sweet love to his wife.

He broke their kiss to look into her eyes. "Elizabeth...I...You are far too wonderful to be with such as me. But I will always..." his eyes flickered as his erection gave a hard twitch within her. He growled. "Strive to become everything that you do deserve."

His eyes blazed at her as he looked into her own his hands gripping her tight, the tips sinking into the flesh of her body as his passion grew.

As his lips claimed hers, she melted into him. Even after such a long time it felt just as wonderful as it did before and the lonely ache within her soul was filled with need and desire for more. When he began to move, she flushed and gave sighs of pleasure, feeling the water move around them, spilling out of the sides onto the stone floor. As his lips broke from hers, she dragged in a breath, gazing at him with trust and desire and at his words, she smiled, pressing her forehead to his, closing her eyes as his passion grew and so did the roughness of their encounter. Not that she minded a bit.

"Oh I've missed you...so...so very much...Roland...so much..." Each pause was do in part to his upward thrusts and she leaned forward kissing him again before drawing back, not saying anything now, just letting her body do the talking for her. They had much to speak on, much to do but all of that would come later. For now, they were only two lovers who were celebrating a reunion and promising themselves to each other once more. Each upward thrust made her sigh or whimper or moan and her hands on his shoulders gripped him tightly as her pleasure mounted. Her nails dug into his skin but her mind was focused on the movement of their bodies, and the feel of his touch on her.

Hands moved as she leaned back running over her skin. He stroked her smooth tummy, the edge of her ribs, then onto his breasts. His hands were rough and powerful, and covered with scars and callouses.

He was gentle with her. He knew her strength but he wanted to watch her now. And it felt so much better with this slow but powerful lovemaking rather than a rough pounding. He wanted to enjoy her body and her sex, his eyes flashing as he watched her, his powerful body tensed and opening with his every slow thrust.

"And I you my darling Elizabeth."

His breathing was not yet stolen by their actions, his constant action having forging him for such activity despite his lack of practice. He had dreamed of these moments and stayed carefully slow yet powerful with every thrust into her and pull of her flesh toward his own.

She was surprised by the pace. Her insides were frantic and desperate for more and yet satisfied with his powerful thrusts. Elizabeth moaned and then gave him another deep kiss before wrapping her arms around his neck, drawing back just a little before watching his face as he moved within her. It felt so perfect, so wonderful as his hands touched her in ways she hadn't been touched for so long. Her hands moved over him, exploring him and her mouth kissing his forehead, his cheeks, his lips, his jaw and then further down to his neck and shoulder. She was giving noises of pleasure and satisfaction but her body yearned for more, ached for release. "Mmmph." She moved back again, back arching, hips moving with his to get her to the point of no return.

It was after several moments of doing so that the tension within her body broke and she cried out, kissing him fervently as her body exploded with pleasure, nails dragging along his shoulders as she gave herself over to sexual release.

As their bodies moved together and their arms tangled trying to explore each other hungrily, he moaned into her neck, or breasts, or shoulder his lips moving both against hers and on her flesh seemingly at random, as if he wanted to taste every bit of her her could reach.

As he devoured her his pace began to quicken as his own release drew ever closer until when her own took over her body he moaned deeply and thrust fully within her and erupted the first orgasm into or with another being since their last night together. He shuddered and twitched as it seemed his heavy balls were trying to push their way up through his shaft into her womb.

Gasping the tension finally released him and he moaned her name into her neck. "Far even than i even dreamed my love...you do spoil me."

She gave a soft laugh before kissing him gingerly and then brushed her fingers through the hair on his head in a soothing gesture before sighing happily. "Old habits die hard I suppose," she whispered then closed her eyes, letting herself be wrapped in the warmth of his body. Lord it felt good after so many years of loneliness. Of course she loved her children and they gave her comfort but not the sort of comfort that came from a husband or lover and her Roland was both of those. "It was better than I ever recall," she murmured softly before slowly lifting her head and giving him another kiss. "The water has gone cold however, and the children are early risers. Best you put some breeks on...they might come in here while we are both naked and I have no desire to explain the way of man and wife to either of them yet," she smiled and then slowly rose, sucking in a breath as they withdrew from one another and she felt a sense of loss at no longer having him within her body. She grabbed a terry cloth and dried herself off before waiting for him to get up.

Leaving him to dry off, she slipped on a chemise and then sank down on the edge of the bed, her legs feeling like jelly and her entire body still quivering. It felt truly wonderful and like they were enjoying that first month of marriage when they couldn't keep their hands off one another. "I still feel in shock. Like it's all a dream and I'm going to wake up and find you gone in the morning." She sighed and lowered her face for a moment, shaking her head to dismiss the possibility before looking back at him with a gentle smile. "I think that tomorrow, we should have a great feast to honor your return...and leave our worries for another day...they have a tendency to return quickly these days...and William's not going to go lightly after being so thoroughly humiliated before his subjects..."

roland chuckled as he watched her go. He waited until she was dressed and seated then he stood from the water and dried himself off thoroughly, including his long hair and stubbly face.

"Darling he cannot touch me. The attempted rape of a Lady of the court and her children is a serious crime. And the admitted murder of a Bishop and nun? he may be an idiot but he's not stupid enough to fight that. Remember also the Pope is protecting us."

He chuckled and pulling on breeches moved to the bed while also lowering the lights in the lanterns and blowing out the candles. he slid under the covers and lay back with a sigh. He held out his hand to her. "come my love. rest with me and keep me here and safe."

She smiled and then drew back the covers, slipping beneath with him and bringing her body close to him, her head resting on her husband's shoulder as they enjoyed each other's warmth. "I shall keep you safe my love," she promised and then kissed his neck before settling in for the night and enjoying the closeness of having a body close to her in the night.

Sleep came easily with her husband by her side and she woke to the sound of the chamber door opening and then the soft steps of little feet. She feigned sleep, curling into Roland's chest before feeling the bed depress with weight at the foot. Opening her eyes, she peaked down to see it was both Catherine and Nathan and gave a cry of delight when Catherine pounced on top of both of them. "Wake up! Wake up!" Catherine exclaimed and Elizabeth laughed and sat up, kissing both of her cheeks before sighing.

"You two will be the death of me," she beamed and then gave Nathan his morning kisses. "I suppose breakfast is being served in the hall?" she asked curiously and Catherine nodded.

"Oh yes...Cook made her honey oat cakes with cinnamon and stewed apples...you can smell it in the corridor," she giggled happily and Elizabeth smirked.

"Well let me get dressed...and your father too and then we'll be down for breakfast...you can wait a few minutes..."

Roland had heard them coming when they had closed their bedroom doors but had also known it was his children. He then had taken the cue from his wife and feigned sleep until they had pounced upon them both, at which point he hid under a pillow enticing them to attack him.

The moment they did so he had whirled from under the covers then swept the cover about them and gripped the corners and raised it with one hand making it bounce repeatedly and the children within scream with surprise but humor.

He sneered at his wife as he began to pinch the makeshift bag. "You know these kids are no good. Think we can sell them?"

They roared denials so he tossed the 'bag' onto the bed where it fell open but before they could react he had gripped both by an ankle, Catherine's nightgown trapped to protect her modesty and they were hanging upside down giggling. Roland studied them with a disgusted look on his face. "Certainly have to be my children. Far too ugly and smelly to yours my love. i guess the troll that gave birth to them did die?"

They again roar denials.

"What? Didn't she tell you? I am much to ugly for Lady Elizabeth so to spare her feelings she sent me a mountain troll who had you two. Then out of the goodness of her heart she raised you as her own."

They both called out the lie and he laughed turning them into crushing hugs and kisses, then put them on the bed to give their mother the same treatment before scurrying off to eat, though not before Nathan tripped his sister and she swatted him on the arm with a slap.

Roland, still laughing looked at his wife once they were gone. "You really did do a wonderful job with them my love." He kissed her tenderly then went to change, though only by putting on black breeches and a loose black tunic that lay open a the throat before heading down to eat, barefoot, though he also had a dagger strapped to his ankle and another hidden in his belt, under the tunic.

Elizabeth was sitting on the bed, laughing at the antics of her husband and her children and could only smirk when he spoke of the supposed mountain troll to birth them. It seemed to come to him easily, fatherhood. And Nathan was a happier boy than he had ever been before. As the two disappeared to the dining hall, she smiled and then slowly got out of bed, stretching and feeling a bit sore between her legs from their lovemaking. At their praise, she smiled. "Perhaps I did," she said once they parted from kissing. "But you will guide them well. They already adore you," she smiled and then kissed him deeply before dressing for the day in a simple green kirtle, her hair pinned up off her neck. She made her way downstairs, feet clad in her most comfortable slippers and then took her seat next to Roland at the breakfast table.

Catherine hadn't been exaggerating. It smelled like heaven and she was quick to grab a honey oat cake and some stewed apples as well as fresh biscuits. "So this morning, there's business to be had considering the long absence though I"m quite certain that Jessica and the staff have things well at hand. Perhaps after a bit of lunch, we can all go for a walk or ride our horses. Doesn't that sound like fun?" she asked and Catherine grinned.

"Oh yes! I can ride Snowflame can't I?" she asked referring to her favorite white mare.

"Of course you can my darling," she smiled and then pinched off a piece of her oatcake, eating it and washing it down with fresh milk.

Roland chuckled watching his family eat. His eyes kept flicking over all of them, though they hung on his wife the longest, her beauty calling to him, her words having touched his heart. He was home and more important he was welcome.

He ate his own, eating far more neatly than his son, who in his hunger and excitement has made quite the mess, though Roland does not remonstrate the boy. Not today. And Nathan starts cleaning himself up without being told anyway.

He looked at Elizabeth at the offer and nods thoughtfully. "That could be fun...though i'm afraid that will have to be at lunch. I have several meetings before then. Including with George. And the various lords of Salisbury."

He chuckled again. "Have to prove I'm actually me and actually breathing."

"As if knocking the king on his backside and tossing him out of Westminister wasn't enough proof of your existence. Be forewarned that my brother will be very displeased at the fact I'm no longer on the marriage market and that you are now in charge of Catherine's betrothal. He was trying to receive permission from King William to become guardian so as to make all the alliances and decision he wished of Cat and Nathan's future..." She sighed, finishing up her oat cake.

"After lunch is perfectly fine with me considering the list of thighs I must do..." Trailing off, she looked at him and smiled, hand reaching to him and covering his own fingers before giving a blush. "Words can't express my happiness at finally having you home," she whispered softly and then looked at her children. Their children.

"Alright you two, finish your breakfast. Catherine...I think you can follow me around today, and Nathan, perhaps you would like to start learning how to be a lord from your father aye?" She asked him gently.

Roland met his son's eyes, the boy nervous. Roland smiled. "I won't promise you much. I'm nothing like your Uncle George. He was always the proper one. But I will be happy to have you with me son."

Nathan grinned nodding.

Roland gently linked his fingers with his wife. "And I to be home. Though I regret the death of those that helped my family before I could thank them. if I did not know that his Holiness will be extracting a serious punishment on our 'beloved' monarch I would have killed him..."

He sighed and touched his heart breathing a silent prayer for the two then sat back smiling a bit. "Jessica!"

The woman jumped but hurried forward. She had only just met Roland when he had left, only just in her womanhood then. He looked up at her thoughtfully. "You've gotten bigger." She had both grown nearly a foot up, and had gained a true woman's body and beauty since he had been gone, as her husband would attest. Jessica had come from Elizabeth's household so Roland had had little interaction with her even when he had been here. Now as Head of House however...

"I would like you to get Daniel and James then I wish to all three of you in my library in thirty minutes. i have much to discuss with the three of you."

She curtsied. "Of course milord."

"Do we have a scribe?"

"We have several milord."

"I want the lot. I have other orders. Make sure I have enough wax for seals and enough parchment and ink for myself. Has my library been growing as ordered?"

She bit her lip calculating then jumped at his final question. "Oh yes Milord. Every publication we can get has been placed there. We have had to expand storage three times in your...absence."

Nathan scowled. "I did not know that. Why didn't I know that?"

Jessica looked at Roland who clearly wanted the same answer and blushed. "Daniel felt it....prudent to protect the Master's library from...hazardous events."

Roland glowered. He had never liked Daniel. Even when they were younger and Daniel had been his personal steward. The man was very skilled, but always so focused on propriety and protocol. It made him an excellent Steward but it tended to rub people raw.

Jessica, quailing at the dark thunder on her Master's brow gulped, her dry throat making the sound a loud pop. He looked up at her and sighed sitting back. "That is a large part of what I will be discussing with the three of you."

She nodded, still nervous.

"Forgive me Jessica. But I told him to open that library to any who wished to use it. Now I suspect it's dark, covered in protective sheets, and hasn't been entered save to insert new additions since I left?"

She blushed but nodded. "Yes milord."

He rolled his eyes. "Heaven save me from bureaucrats. Come along Nathan. Jessica get that damn steward and James and at least ten servants. I want at least four climbers, ladders, dust clothes, and any other cleaning supplies you can think of. Hop to it."

He stood and first went to his daughter. "You behave young miss. Or I'll marry you to an Celt." He waited until she looked shocked then grinned and kissed her cheek and tickled her making her giggle, then went to his wife.

He lifted her hand and kissed it. "Forgive me my love. But Daniel has ever strived to make me...proper."

He smirked. "As if" he leaned in and kissed his wife with a furious passion his hand cupping her face. Finally he broke free and whispered in her ear. "When you find the time send the children to their lessons and come see me. I would show you more of how much I missed you." His eyes glowed with the promise of much more then looking to see that Nathan was ready and reasonably clean, he set off for his library.

He opened the large double doors and despite the dark unused feeling of the room he smiled taking in a deep breath. "Ahhh....I love books. Don't you Nathan?"

The boy nodded smiling. "Yes Father. i-"

"Alright first thing my boy. When you must I am Father. Otherwise Dad is fine. Alright?"

Nathan grinned and nodded.

"Alright boy. Now....let's get some bloody light in here."

He scooped up Nathan before the boy could react then together they set to unlocking the inner shutters and opening them wide to lock into the walls, then the outer shutters letting the light pour in, revealing the more than three dozen shelves, and the walls all around filled with scrolls, documents, and the bound copies of books that were worth so very much. Each of these was covered in a heavy canvas sheet and Roland sighed but laughed. "Alright Nathan...race you. First one to clear a whole wall gets the best chair for the meetings."

Nathan laughed and they were off. Roland was impressed with his son's speed but also his strength, and was actually hard put, but Nathan got stuck a few sheets back when it caught on a badly placed book making both fall on the boy and Roland won. Laughing he went over and helped Nathan out of the tangle and lifted the book as well while Nathan pulled the last of his sheets down from his father's arms. Roland was still laughing until he saw the title of the book. Nathan turned to see it as well and froze.

When Jessica and her ten, along with Daniel and James came in, Roland was seated behind his long desk, with Nathan standing at his side. The only thing on the desk was the book and Roland's face was livid.

Nervously, even Daniel, all of them moved to the desk and upon seeing the book understood. It was the bloodline of the Eckerts, one of only three surviving copies, and was supposed to be in Roland's personal vault. Daniel and Jessica shared a terrified look. Roland's vault was not in this room. It was not even in this house. It was with his family in the local church, sealed, or supposed to be, by Holy Order. It shouldn't be here.

Roland spoke very softly but even Nathan gulped nervously. Roland was not a shouter or a screamer. His voice was rich, deep and filled with joy and kindness. But when he got quiet everyone knew he was angry. It simply filled every syllable. "Explain."

Jessica stepped forward. "Master.... I cannot. I have no explanation."

James stepped forward. "Nor I ...Master."

Roland's ice cold blue eyes fell on Daniel who straightened his tie before stepping forward in his most dignified manner. "I also have no explanation ...Master." All three were well aware that Roland could not only expel them for this but also kill them with his own hands. The bloodlines had to be protected at all costs. The other two copies were in the Vatican and in the Archives in London respectively.

Roland nodded but said nothing leaving the three standing there, the other ten forgotten behind them. He did not move,save to blink, and did not speak for a full ten minutes until six guards came in bearing the long stone box that served as his personal vault, grunting with strain. They set it before his desk. "Retrieved exactly as you found it?"

"Yes my lord."

The heavy lid, which held tracings of the Eckert line's long history and the family crest, had been broken through in three places with a hammer. Once over Roland's own face representing his birth, and again at his marriage, then the family crest. Roland's eyes glowered. "The priests?"

The guards gestured as three priests entered, also nervous. The eldest, Father Timothy had known Roland all his life. Had baptized, christened and married him in fact. He sighed. "Lord Eckert...I can offer no explanation for this sacrilege... I have failed your trust."

Roland stood and despite themselves everyone, even Nathan, except for Father Timothy, stepped back from the large man. He came around the desk looking right into the priest's eyes. "Has no one visited the vault?"

Timothy shook his head. "Nay Lord Eckert. As you well know you are the last of that noble line, save the young man behind you. Your cousin Brian could assume your title but he is not an Eckert...he is your mother's kin...again as you know. No one else has cause or right. But..." He sighed. "I must tell you that I also have not been to the vault in some time. Even to check on it's safety...."

Roland considered the older man for a long moment then gently gripped his shoulder and everyone tensed. "I know. I miss them as well Father."

Timothy nodded and everyone relaxed, somewhat. "Today, when your men arrived, I rushed them to the vault...Lord-"

"Roland Father. I will not have Lord from an old friend."

Timothy smiled and everyone relaxed some more. "Roland...the gates of the vault were smashed open. You know how strong they were. And how well made...but they were beaten apart and nearly off the hinges.... I am ashamed to saw I do not know who or how..."

Roland's eyes burned but at no one in particular. Nathan spoke up. "Dad...could it have been...King William? He was here a few months ago...with several guards."

Roland looked at Jessica who nodded explaining about William's most recent visit. Roland then looked at Timothy. "Could it have been?"

Timothy looked at the other two and all three had the same scared look. "Yes Roland it could...you see that evening His Majesty had urged us to go see to several wounded men in the village. To give aid and as needed the last Rites. They had been set upon by many men with weapons and....skill." He looked up at Roland and now the old grey eyes burned. "Roland-"

Roland nodded curtly. "I am sure he did. Then while you were away he broke into my family's vault and stole the bloodline. None of the pages are missing, not even mine or Nathan and Catherine's, but I have no doubt he had a plan for it."

He moved Timothy aside then moved to the vault. He gripped the heavy lid shooing away those that moved to assist him and with a single yank pulled it free then shifting his gripped, easily lifted the thing and laid it aside. He then waved Nathan and Timothy forward. Within were a number of items. The family crest shield, the family sword, his grandfather's armor, his grandmother's Bible, a number of other keepsakes meant solely for family, and a very clear place where the bloodline should have been, inside it's protective box.

Roland picked through everything, having Nathan place them on his desk, then once it was empty save the stone fragments William had broken into the vault he waved everyone back then moving to the top of the thing he gripped it and once again easily, turned it onto it's side and swept out the fragments. He then turned it back onto it's base slowly yet still with an ease that made everyone in the room stare, especially Nathan. Roland had always been strong, but this vault had taken six men to carry yet he moved it like it was nothing!

He sniffed wiping his hands then snapped at Jessica. "I want you to make arrangements with the good Fathers here to repair my family vault in the church. The gates and any other damage done. Then i want the lid of this vault repair or replaced, whichever is best. Finally i want a new holding place built here for it."

Daniel started to speak. "Milord-"

"Jessica is Head of House Daniel. Not you."

Daniel blinked but said no more.

Jessica made quick arrangements, pleased when Timothy offered to send her two master masons and a architect from the parish. The priests departed with a affectionate farewell from Roland. Roland also sent the six guards away with his gratitude then set the ten waiting servants to work cleaning the library.

He then leaned against his desk studying the three before him.

"i am making some changes. First of all Daniel you are now solely Steward of Salisbury."The man started to speak but Roland held up a silencing finger, his crossed arms bulging. "That means that your will handle all business regarding the Lordship of Salisbury but no more. You have no authority over this house or it's tenants. Especially my children."

Daniel blushed at the rebuke but still, full Steward? That was an incredibly powerful position. He started to speak again but again Roland cut him off. "You are without a doubt the most pompous, pretentious, and proper prat I know. But you are also the most talented and skillful diplomat I have ever met. The Vatican would love to have you but you are mine. So I am putting you to work, to real work. No more watching the maids and butlers to make sure they aren't stealing my silver. You are going to make sure that the Lordship of Salisbury is just as solid, powerful, and wealthy as it can be."

Daniel blinked and nodded. "I am honored My Lord."

Roland nodded. "Good. Now I have a number of requests for audiences and many other requests besides. Throw out none but i want them arranged in order of location. I want to see my citizens first then everyone depending on where they are from. Understand?"

"Yes My Lord."

Roland nodded. "I am going to give you your own house Daniel and double your pay for this new job. I expect the same rigid attention to detail you have always shown and the same moral uprightness."

Daniel beamed now. "Of course My Lord."

"Very good. Get to it." He held out the signed and sealed order confirming this.

Daniel bowed and left almost strutting with pride the order clutched in his hand.

Roland turned to James. He knew very little about this man but knew that Elizabeth liked him, Catherine thought him handsome, and Nathan said he did a good job.

"I do not know you James but my family and my holdings are safe, my house is protected well, and you have nothing but glowing reports from those that matter."

James blushed but spoke quickly. "I but serve the noble house-"

"That's nice. I am making you the Captain of Arms for all of Salisbury. You will receive your own house, and triple pay. I also expect you to find me several armorsmiths and weapons smiths. You and your men will need better quality. You report to me thrice daily, after you have eaten with me and my family. I want at least two squads of guards in every town and village in my holdings and you and I will personally inspect them all before they are assigned, then again once every two weeks at random. Any Questions?" He held out the order that made it so.

James blinked shaking his head and took the order then bowed. "Thank you My Lord."

"You are welcome. Hop to it."

James gave a salute, bowed Nathan then his father, then left marching out proudly.

Jessica looked up Roland, unconsciously twisting her fingers. Roland seemed a good man but he still scared her.

He studied her for a long moment then smiled. "Chief of the House of Eckert. That will be your new title."

She blinked. "My Lord?"

He turned away and grabbed his quill quickly putting this onto the parchment he had pulled out of his shirt. He then held it out for her to read. She took it but was so stunned the words bleared together.

"It says that you will now be in full command of my house. Everything that takes place in this building will do so under your supervision. You have managed this house well and my wife and children adore you. You have made sure I have a stunning reception hall, a impressive audience chamber, and the kitchen and bedrooms are perfect. I am giving you a suite of rooms for yourself and your children, and expect you to have them taught, I have given orders for the tutors to do so, and I will be employing your husband to create new windows for the house. i am told he is a gifted glass worker."

"He is...he is My Lord. My Lord I cannot-"

He cut her off. "You can do this and will. I do not care that you are female. Elizabeth cannot stop singing your praises. And the results are plainly before my eyes. With Daniel out of your way i expect things will be even easier. You are to be in charge of the kitchens, the servants, maintaining my home, and caring for my family and me. You already are the very best. Thus you shall be treated."

She blinked rapidly then began to cry. Wiping her eyes furiously she nodded. "of course My Lord...and Thank you...I..." She flung herself into his arms and kissed his cheek as she hugged him then tensed and leapt away just as quickly. "Forgive me My Lord I-"

He was laughing as he cut her off again. "It is alright. But recall that Elizabeth will not share me so make sure that such things are those of a loving sister never anything more."

She blinked then smiled realizing he was teasing her and curtsied. "Of course My Lord. I shall go see about the masons and architect shall I?"

"As you like. Do send them in when they arrive."

She curtsied again clutching the order to her chest then left to get to work. Roland smirked and began putting his family's things back into the vault, including the bloodline into it's box when he noticed Nathan's wide eyes.

"Problem son?"

"No...well maybe...I've never seen anyone talk to or treat servants liek that. Mom treats them well but..."

Roland did not answer until the desk was cleared then he sat and lifted Nathan up onto the desk before him. "Son...while I was away I saw many things. The chief most in my mind was always the cruelty of humanity towards each other. And in so seeing i learned. You do not gain loyalty, respect, or love with a fist. You do so with the open hand of love. A Lord's duty is to love and protect his people. That includes his family, his servants, and his citizens, but I will let you in on a secret. If you make sure that the first two are the same thing then the third will take of themselves. People want a Lord they can both love and respect. And that is what i am going to give them." he poked the boy in the chest.

"And what I hope you will give them."

Nathan stared at his father in awe. 'Dad?"

"Yes son?"

Nathan didn't know what to say...or at least how to say it. Finally he grabbed the large hand by his leg and shook it. "I wanna give them that too."

Roland smiled. "Good man. Now let's get to work on these." With that he showed Nathan the various reports from the holdings and how he wished them sorted. Nathan caught on quick and the two were quite the team.

The servants cleaning the library had heard everything and were impressed but a bit nervous. Until they had finished. As they left Roland called each of them over. "Thank you for your fine work." And gave each of them three gold sovereigns. Stunned by his generosity they had thanked him repeatedly then rushed to their various urges, to spread the tales of Roland's goodness and cunning. And this was all before ten in the morning.

After so many years as the one in charge, it was strange having someone else doing the ordering. His way of ordering was brisk. He was a man used to being in charge and after so many years controlling armies it was of little wonder that he held himself in charge with every fiber of his being. She finished her breakfast and milk and was wiping her mouth when he finished addressing Jessica. She gave her friend a reassuring smile. If she knew anything of Roland that had carried on through the years was that his bark was worse than his bite. When he took her hand and kissed it, she smiled and then gave a gasp of delight as he kissed her deeply. His last comment of course making her quite flushed and heated.

"As you wish, husband," she whispered back to him, perhaps a bit coyly before watching him go with Nathan. Once gone, she glanced at Catherine and then sighed. "Alright my dear girl. We have much to do this morning. Considering your father has stolen Jessica away for a little while, I think you and I should go and inspect the laundry though I'm sure all is in proper order. Jessica's a fine head of house..." She sighed and then looked at Catherine, watching as she clutched her newest doll to her chest. "What's the matter darling?" she asked curiously.

"I'm just thinking..." she said after a moment. "Do I really have to grow up and get married and go away?" she asked with a pout. "I don't ever want to leave now. Not when I have you and father now..." She sighed and looked down and Elizabeth swallowed and looked forward.

"You still have plenty of time before you have to get married. I wed your father when I was sixteen and I imagine your father won't do much earlier than that. If that's so you have a good seven years left. And you say that now but...you'll meet a man and fall in love and then you'll have to marry him and live with him...It is just the way of things. I know your father would never arrange for you to marry a man you did not love or at least find contentment with. He will ensure you have a good and kind husband. But that's not for a long while yet. You're still a child Catherine. You have plenty of time to grow up still..." Pausing, she looked at her daughter and then knelt down, turning her head to face her. "Let's not worry about marriage or babies right now with you. Be my little princess for a couple of years hmm?"

Catherine looked at her and nodded and then smiled. Jessica joined them as they were overseeing Daniel's notes, sharing in her good fortune and Elizabeth hugged her. "Oh I'm so glad to hear it Jessica...I truly am...you certainly deserve it. I envy that I did not think of it myself..." she laughed, kissing her cheeks. "I suppose he and Nathan are immersing themselves in duties?" she asked and the woman nodded.

"Aye. His Lordship is a fine man..." she said, relaying all that had happened in the library to her before being called away to some business. At the idea of the vault being broken into, Elizabeth felt a chill down her spine, unsure of the king's motives and feeling a sense of sickening dread but she pushed the thought aside.

The rest of her morning was spent inspecting the accounts and after a spot of lunch, the tutors arrived to take Nathan and Catherine as well as Jessica's children to their classroom and it left Elizabeth with only time on her hands. Remembering the conversation from breakfast, she decided to take herself to the library and saw him pouring over a couple of books. She smiled and shut the door, looking around and then gave a sigh. "I forgot how large a library you had," she mused thoughtfully and then moved over to his desk, settling down and enjoying the look of him as he worked away.

"Jessica spoke to me, told me of what you have done for her as well as Daniel and James..." She smiled. "It was a wonderful thing you have done for them. They certainly deserve each of their promotions," she mused thoughtfully before brushing her hair back from her face and turned to look at him. "Thank you Roland..." She moved to his side and kissed his cheek. "You truly are a great lord..." She sighed and then looked down. "I feel inadequate after only a day. Of course, I was never raised to be a leader...Jessica was crying so much from the joy I fear she might collapse...Thank you," she whispered again and then looked at his reading material. "What are you up to?"

Roland smiled. "Darling the only reason i stand here able to do this is because of you and your brilliance. And as to your leadership lacking? utter bullshit. I'd take you as my second over even Isham. And i will tell you now that i have no higher compliment."

He gently gripped her sides and lifted her up onto the desk, then stepped between her legs, his hands coming up to cup her face. "i rewarded the people who helped you. I am not doing anything marvelous. I am building on your firm foundation. Now...I seem to recall offering to reward you as well my love."

He kissed her hungrily as his hands moved back down pushing her skirts up to bunch at her waist as he pressed his very hard erection against her sex.

His eyes flashed at her with pure loving desire as he opened her dress and pulled his shirt off pressing their now bare chests together as he kissed her again laying her back on the desk, pushing aside the letters and documents, most of them requests for Nathan and Catherine's hands.

Back
Top Bottom