Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Songs of the Heart (Ms_Muffintops and Josu_T

Alice smiled warmly and sipped her tea as Luke spoke to her. The thought of such a nice and admired man actually living a lonely life saddened her, it made her want to reach over and hug him. But she remained polite and looked into his eyes as he was talking.

She let out a soft giggle, reached across the table and patted him on the hand gently. "Well, I'll be your friend, and your friend alone" she said with a smirk. She sat back and took another sip of her tea before she spoke, "Um... my mom died of cancer when I was little and my dad and I didn't get along too well. He kicked me out of the house when I was 15 because he was convinced I was one of those troubled teens. A few years ago, I tried to talk to him and see about moving back in but he told me he didn't want anything to do with me" she explained to him. Her cheeks turned red and her gaze went down to the table as she spoke, she hoped Luke didn't think there was something wrong with her.

She looked back up at him and laughed nervously, "So yeah, Jade took me in and I'm sort of bound to her until I'm finished with school" she concluded.

Luke smiled at Alice as she patted his hand and said she would be his friend. Then he listened as she explained her problems with family. It seemed they had another thing in common, a parent lost to cancer. He was a little saddened to hear about her problems with her father. He knew what it was like not to have parents, and if one of hers was still alive, she should at least have contact with him. It wasn't like he could do anything about it though.

Luke nodded at the comment about Jade. "Well, at least you have a good friend like her, even if she can annoy you at times, as far as I've seen. Hey, maybe once you end up telling her about the real me, she will stop having a crush on me. I'm sure any girl would be turned off on finding out the man they like is really a sad, pathetic guy who can't get over the death of his wife." The thought mad him a little sad, but he tried to joke about it.

Alice was surprised how much they had in common family wise, except her parent was alive. She used to be willing to make up with her father, but, unfortunately was not. She blamed the alcohol and decided as long as he drank, she would keep her distance. It still saddened her how alone Luke was. She hoped they'd become great friends, just so he could have a friend that was truly his own, and she could have a friend that didn't use her for an accessory at clubs.

She giggled and smirked at him. She felt bad about the joke, but she knew there was more to him than he joked about. "Yeah yeah... that would bore her.." she said with a grin as she looked him in the eyes, "But thankfully, for you... I am a loser, and it takes one to know one. So, we can be losers together" She took a sip of her tea and sighed. "Anyways... I know there's more to you Luke and I'd like to find out what there is.." she said shyly.

She then looked out the window and could see the sun going down. Her gaze went back to him with a smile, "Would you like to take a walk? Or.. do you have to go soon?" she asked him.

Luke grinned and laughed at Alice's comment about her being a loser and how they could ebe losers together. She asked if he wanted to take a walk and he nodded slightly, but had something to say first. "A walk sounds nice, but I don't know who you're calling a loser. I'm a local celebrity. Who just happens to not like his job, but whatever. And you shouldn't call yourself a loser either. That just leads to more negative thoughts."

Alice giggled and shook her head. "I don't think negatively, there's no point in it. I'm fine being the way I am. If someone doesn't like me then they can go away" she said in a pleasant tone with a smile.

She stood up and walked over to him. "Like oh my god... Mr.La'moo. I'm a big big fan of yours. You're such a big celebrity around here and its such an honor to be in your presence, you must be such an awesome dude" she said jokingly. She waved her hands as if she were fanning herself and she kept her tone down so she wouldn't draw any attention to them. She giggled softly and stepped back and grabbed her purse, "Ready to go? I'm sure we could find somewhere to walk to" she said with a smile as she waited for him.

Luke grinned at Alice as she defended herself and her thoughts. Then her play as a big fan surprised him but made him laugh. She got his stage name really wrong, but that didn't matter. He got up and passed her, going out the door. As he held open the door he looked back at her with a fake expression that was supposed to say, "what's taking you so long?"

Alice giggles softly and smirked as she saw Luke standing at the door. She sighed contently and walked through it, "Why thank you sir" she said softly as she walked through. She stepped out onto the sidewalk and looked both ways. She was unsure of where she wanted to go.

She looked back at Luke and smiled, "Let's just.. go" she said before she took off in a random direction. She waved her hand, signaling the man to follow. She hoped to show him what good company she could be.

Luke laughed a little at the confusion that he felt might be fake. Then he followed as Alice picked a direction. He moved to walk next to her and put his hand in his pockets. He stayed quiet for a little and just looked around, trying to figure out where they were going. He wasn't really sure though. He glanced over at Alice. "So, where are we going? Do you even know? If it is just random wandering, that is fine with me, as long as we don't get lost."

Alice gazed up at him and smiled, "I have no idea where I'm going... but I doubt we'll get lost" she said confidently as she continued to walk. She made her way aimlessly down the street examining the shops and establishments that aligned the street. Her gaze went up to the sky then back at Luke, "It's a nice day.. good thing we chose to go for a walk.." she said sweetly.

She slowly stopped walking when an ice cream parlor caught her eye. She stopped in front of the window and gazed in. Alice unfortunately had quite a sweet tooth and seeing the long lines of tubs full of ice cream were too tempty. A nervous laugh came from her lips as she turned the look, "You don't mind if I... get some ice cream do you?" she asked him as she walked backwards towards the door of the shop.

Luke smiled and chuckled at knowing they were just wandering. That was fine. He nodded slightly as she said it was a nice time to go for a walk. They passed by a store and he didn't even look at it. It seemed to catch her eye though. She asked about getting ice cream and he shrugged. "Sure, why not? I think I'll get some as well."

Alice stepped into the pastel colored ice cream shop and took in the sweet cold smell of ice cream. It all mixed together to form the same scent she smelled in all ice cream shops. "Mmmm..." she mumbled softly as she approached the counter with Luke behind her. She eyed the rainbow of tubs that laid out in front of her and bit her lip trying to decide which to get.

"What can I get you miss?" the man behind the counter asked her as he saw her gazing down into the glass window. Alice instantly looked up at the man and smiled, "Um... I guess I will just have a small chocolate cone.." she said shyly. The man nodded and got a cone for her and put a scoop of chocolate on top of it. Alice scooted down to the register and pulled out her money. "How much?" she asked him as he handed her the cone. "$1.50.. your boyfriend isn't going to pay for it?" he said as he looked over at Luke jokingly. Alice laughed nervously and shook her head, "N-no.. he isn't my boyfriend... he's just a friend" she said softly before handing him exact change and stepping back to let Luke get his ice cream.

By then, her cheeks were beet red. But she tried to hide it by nonchalantly licking her ice cream cone.

Luke followed Alice into the ice cream store and waited as she looked at the flavors and ordered a cone. At the boyfriend comment from the clerk he looked away and tried to pretend he had not heard anything. He casually walked up to the counter and ordered a mint chocolate chip cone, paid, and joined Alice. He smiled softly and then held the shop door open for her.

Alice smiled at Luke and walked past him, exiting the ice cream shop. "Why thank you kind sir" she said half teasingly. She turned around and faced him walking backwards as they once again made their way down the side walk once more. She looked to the sky and could see it tinting in pinks, purples and oranges, but she turned her attention back to Luke.

"So what do you like to do when you're not being a suave romantic DJ?" she asked him with a smirk before licking her ice cream.

Luke followed Alice out of the shop. She walked backward and he gave her a strange look. Her question and smirk caused him to put on a serious face. "I thought you were my stalker. Shouldn't you know the answer to that by now?"

He waited for a moment before grinning and laughing. "I'm kidding. I just do whatever I feel like. Often going to see local bands, watching movies, stuff like that. Often doing nothing at home though. TV, a book, sleep, anything that passes the time."

Alice sighed and smiled, "Well that sounds nice.. and relaxing" she said with a giggle, then looked him in the eyes before turning around so that she was walking side by side with him. "I can't wait until I finish school, I will be able to relax a bit more. I'm always working on projects, and when I'm not, it seems like Jade always wants me to go bar hopping or clubbing with her" she said with a serious look on her face. "But yeah... I wouldn't be relaxing, going out and seeing bands..." she concluded.

They then passed a park. Alice stopped and stared into the gateway that was the entrance into the place. She looked back at Luke and smiled nervously, "I'd suggest going in there. But I don't know... it's getting late.." she said as she looked up at the sky.

Luke smiled softly as she finally started walking normally next to him. He finished his icecream as she spoke of what her life was like. He was glad he was no longer studying. They passed a park and Alice seemed interested in walking through there, but for some reason was worried about it being dark. Luke shrugged. "Why is it getting late a problem for going through the park? It will make it faster to get back to our cars anyway, so what is the issue? Are you afraid of the dark?" He ended with a slightly teasing, joking tone of voice.

Alice giggled softly and looked up into his eyes. "I wasn't sure how long you'd be wanting to walk so..." she tried to explain herself, but she failed to make sense. She sighed content and turned towards the park. "If it gets dark and we run into a mugger, I'm using you as a shield" she said with a soft laugh.

The trail and lush and green with trees aligning it, blocking out the setting golden sun. Only a few beams of sunlight shot through the trees. Next to the trail was an open field with a playground with a single family on it, it was obvious that everyone that had been attending the park that day had gone home already. She stood next to Luke and looked up at him and smiled. His hair swayed slightly in the light breeze that flowed through the trail from the wind. The sun in the distance behind him seemed to make him glow pleasantly.

Luke laughed and smiled at her. He walked into the park with her. It was mostly empty in the fading light. The one family left seemed to be letting the kids play as they packed up their things. They stopped for a moment and he looked around. He turned and looked at Alice. She was smiling. He smiled back at her. Then he continued walking. He turned onto the path that would send them back in the direction of where their cars were parked. It was still a few minutes through the park and he slowed down to enjoy the gently lit park scenery. It had turned out to be a nice walk. This had been a good first day as trying to be friends.

Alice examined Luke as they walked. He seemed so relaxed and calm, the first time she had seen him like that. Before that, he always seemed so tense and sad. She reached down into her purse and took a few quick steps forward so she was in front of him. She turned around, pulled out a camera and took a picture of him. She giggled nervously and looked at him and then went back to walking next to him. "Sorry.. you look so serene. And with the scenery.. I thought it'd make a nice photo" she said shyly. But being an art student, she had more planned for the photo, and she hoped he'd like it.

She looked down the trail and in the distance, she could see the exit to the park. She could see the street and cars driving past the gateway. She softly sighed, feeling a bit bummed by their walk soon coming to an end, and then surely they'd part ways. She wanted to get to know him more, but she supposed she didn't have to learn everything in one day.

Luke smiled as they continued to walk. Alice surprised him as she stepped in front of him and took a picture. He gave a confused look. Then remembered she was taking art. He chuckled. He saw the end of the park. He glanced over at Alice. She didn't look too happy. He wasn't about to suggest some way to lengthen their time though. That might look a little strange.

Eventually they got back to the cafe. He took her over to her car. He stopped and smiled. "Well, this was a good day. I'm glad we did this. I guess I'll talk to you later. Have a safe drive home." He then moved over to his car and unlocked it.

Alice leaned against her car, looked up at him and smiled, "Thank you for inviting me out for a drink. And the walk was nice and relaxing..." she said softly before looking up at the sky that was now a grayish blue, with the sun disappearing. She was about to reach out and offer a friendly hug, but he was already making his way to his car. She bit her lip, smirked, and waved, "I'll see you later Luke" she said softly, unsure if he heard.

She got into her car and drove home. Of course she faced Jade's ridicule and questions once she got home, but she just shrugged them off and told her it was none of her business. As soon as she got into her bedroom, she locked the door behind her and uploaded the photo to her computer. She got up, turned on the radio to Luke's station, curious if he'd be working that night, and pulled out a sketch book and started to draw at her desk.

Luke got into his car and drove home. It really had been a good time with her. He felt it could really turn out to be a good friendship. She had surprised him a couple times, but mostly it had been a perfectly normal evening. He imagined what her friend would say though. He chuckled as he pulled into his driveway. When he entered the house he had a message asking if he could do a short fill in set. He was tired, so told them of an old half hour set her had done that would be in the records. It had a good mix of music and he quickly recorded lead ups and a couple of shout outs over the phone, including a quick one to Alice. It would not have as much talking from him, and would mostly be music, but it would work.

Alice wasn't sure if she should call Luke and see if he wanted to hang out again. She didn't want to freak the man out again, she found herself being overly cautious. She sat there at her desk looking at the drawing she had done. It was a portrait of her new friend, identical to the picture she had taken. She figured she'd use it as a piece for her final portfolio, then give it to Luke as a present.

She couldn't help but smile when she heard the brief dedication to her on the radio. In the other room, she could hear Jade groan the minute he mentioned her name. She was obviously jealous.

She decided she'd let him come to her, or run into her like they had before. The next day she had a busy day at class, she found herself staying long after class had ended. She liked it when she was alone in the studio, she felt like she wasn't being judged and criticized, she had little confidence in her skills, despite the appraisal she often got for it. She decided to add more contrast to her drawing, by adding charcoal, but it was messy so she had to be slow and careful. Unfortunately she found herself being covered in the black mess.

Luke woke the next morning to a couple of messages from friends. They had heard him mention them on the show the night before. They wanted to get together and hang out with a games night of some sort. They had called the others he had mentioned on the show, including the girls, and all of them were in. Luke called to tell them he would be there as well.

A little later that day he remembered Alice. He was sure that the others had not called her. He phoned her and left a message on her machine. He told her to call him if she was interested in hanging out and playing some games that night. He just hoped she got the message before Jade did.

He went then to work. He had a simple show planned. He went through it just fine and then went home. He hoped that he would hear back from Alice. He would only be around for a short while before going to his friend's place. If Alice was going to join him she would need to let him know soon.

Unfortunately while Alice was at school studying, Jade was at home, where the machine was, and she did indeed receive the message. Instantly the message was erased from the machine. The dark haired girl glared at the machine, "Nice try.." she said softly to herself before she crossed her arms and walked off.

Meanwhile, stood back from her working table and examined the drawing that was propped up. It was a detailed portrait of Luke, complete and contrasted. She sighed contently as she slid it into her portfolio and zipped it up. She was covered in charcoal, even her face from scratching it and touching it occasionally. She pulled out her cell phone to see if she had missed a call from him, or received a text, there was nothing. Perhaps he had left a message?

Alice grabbed her portfolio and supplies and headed out the door and headed home.

"Jade, did anyone call while I was gone?" she called out as she entered the door. Her friend was sitting on the couch with her eyes glued to the TV with an intimidated look on her face. "No one for you" she said quietly. Alice sighed softly, nodded, and headed for her room. She put her things up and placed the drawing neatly on her desk and gathered up some clothes and went to take a shower.

Back
Top Bottom