Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Fire Emblem: A New Revolution (Esyel & Beautiful Disgrace's 1x1)

Esyel

Super-Earth
Ike & Selune

It had been a feat that no one believed possible, including the leader of the Greil Mercenaries himself, Ike. The recent incident between the goddesses Yune and Ashera, as well as the Tower of Guidance, had all been completely resolved. All the chaos and disorder that had been contributing to those three very major factors had been ended. Now, peace had reigned over the continent of Tellius. Many of his comrades had insisted he leave; not permanently, of course. The idea was more akin to a vacation, a very long one at that rate. To say that Ike had been incredibly reluctant at first was quite the understatement. Still, everyone - Soren and Titania especially - had all insisted he not only needed it but deserved it.

Ike had thought long and hard on this and decided that, even if the thought of leaving his home nation was an odd if not unnerving one, everyone within the mercenaries was otherwise correct. Before the goddesses and Tower had been calmed, there had been so many other things he and the other fighters had endured. It was a miracle in itself no one among his group had gone insane, truthfully.

One long year had passed since he parted ways and took his temporary vacation. Now, Ike was more than eager to return. At the moment, he was specifically heading towards Felirae, an area within the region of Crimea. The boat he had been riding on in order to return finally bumped gently against the soil. A soft, content sigh passed Ike's parted lips.

"Finally," he murmured as he stepped off the water-crossing form of transportation and back onto land once more, "you're home again."

Not that the vacation had been bad, mind you. In fact, it had been refreshing to get away from all the bandits or other forms of violence and chaos. At the same time, however, Ike had felt .. lost. He had everything a man could want; glory, some of the most powerful blades in all of existence, equally strong friends and comrades. Yet, despite the long list of things he had, the mercenary couldn't help but feel as if he were still missing something.

He paused after taking a few steps off the boat, trying quickly to think on what it may or may not be. When no immediate answer came to him, he gently waved a hand through the air.

"Probably nothing," he decided. Or, if it was, he'd figure it out later on. Until then, there was no sense dwelling on it.

The faintest hint of a smile crossed his face as the familiar sight of trees and sounds of nature caught his ears and eyes. But perhaps more than the scenery, he had dearly missed his friends. With the hopes of being able to have a reunion soon enough, his footsteps quickened as he continued to guide himself through the forest and towards the city of Felirae.

Meanwhile, within the woods of Arbor, another figure was having their own trek through the forest. Were anyone nearby, they would hear frantic gasps and pants. The sounds alone would have easily spelled out they belonged to a woman, one with a mission.

The past several days had been anything but friendly to her. She didn't understand why, but all she knew were the facts. And as they were, soldiers from Crimea had been chasing her.

"You're cursed," the eighteen year old maiden insisted. "You always have been! What other logic is there?!"

As the woman began to think more on the possibility, her fists clenched angrily. She had always appeared to have an aura of sorts around her. Even from the days of her childhood, she had been stared at. But it wasn't her chest like many would assume; well, not always. No. The most dominant areas, actually, were the odd marks upon her shoulders.

They themselves were an odd set of, as far as she could assume, tattoos. But what really made them weird was she never asked for them. So, essentially, she had managed to deduce she had been born with them.

But .. that didn't make sense at all to the mage. People were born with other things. Tattoos? She'd never heard of such a thing. There had been many times Selune had tried to insist she just misjudged the markings upon her shoulders. But no matter how many times she looked at them, the wind mage couldn't call them anything else. They were certainly not birthmarks, cuts, bruises, nothing else that would seem appropriate. No, they were definitely tattoos.

A frustrated sigh elicited from the young mage's lips as her head shook from side to side, causing some raven locks to fall in front of her face.

"The hell with that! None of that matters for now!" she reminded herself, moving the few bangs that had fallen in front of her blue eyes away as she glanced behind her.

From what she could see - or couldn't, at that rate - Selune seemed to be in the clear. Had she finally lost those damned soldiers who had been so persistent on chasing her down?

"I hope so," she weakly murmured, beginning to slow her run down as the pace began to shift to a light jog instead. "Stubborn bastards. If they wanna arrest me, they should say what I've done wrong. Damned fools ... "

But, even if only for now, she appeared to be safe which was good. She didn't want her instincts to act up once more. And with how tired poor Selune was, she would not run. No, she was in no state to. If anyone tried to approach her in an aggressive way, her magic would begin to act up on its own. Normally, this wouldn't be bad. But without having been properly trained, the winds would no doubt get out of control.

They had done so once before. Push was coming to shove, as the old saying went. Not only would the winds be stronger than last time, they may not stop unless someone made her, be it in the form of knocking her unconscious or via some other method.

Yes! Katlynn finally worked up the courage to leave that boring village of hers. She had finally worked up the courage to leave and go out on a journey...a very long journey. She had dreamed of this every day since her mother died and left her alone with the other villagers who tended to avoid her. It had been so hard taking care of herself when no one wanted to sell anything to her! So she learned to hunt, she learned the basics of survival...she had studied the map of Tellius time and time again and today she just felt ready!

It might also have to do with the fact...just a little...that she had been chased out of her mothers home by an angry mob. She really hadn't done anything, but the village had been missing a few things and they automatically assumed she was responsible! Just because she had found a band of no good vagabonds and stole from them, did not mean she stole from her own people! Well, she supposed it was fair of them to judge her after she suddenly got a pouch filled with gold pieces. Still...they were ready to chase her away and they needed very little reason to do so.

Why? Well she was different. She was the daughter of a king! A Raven King! Her mother always told her stories about her father and how handsome and charming he was. But his people needed him, and he flew away without ever coming back. Perhaps she was just hoping that if she stayed there long enough, he'd come for her.

"Girl!" A voice pierced in the air, and she turned. Huh...a trio of familiar looking...bandits. Oh...she should probably take out her bow right now. "Don't move. You look like someone who took something from us a few nights ago...We're going to inspect you now..." They gave her perverted stares, and that was her cue. She immediately drew her bow and then an arrow, which caused them to immediately run after her. Ah, she was no good close range...

Soren had been traveling for some time now. He felt like he was lost. Perhaps he should take out the map and look at it again? Sometimes this happened when he had his nose in his books while he walked. He stopped in his tracks when he heard someone. A girl. Gasping and panting for air. Hmm. Should he attempt to investigate? Ike would probably do so. It was, after all, probably the right thing to do. And the mage really liked to follow the ideals of his former leader. Well, he was still their leader...but he was gone. Enjoying some peace and quiet from all the political affairs involving the nations.

Hmm. More noises? He heard the sound of clattering armor in the distance, and he turned to face the direction of sound. A few soldiers approached him, their weapons pointed threateningly at the Sage. "You! Have you seen a girl with black hair running around here? And strange tattoos on her shoulders?"

It didn't take a genius to know who they were looking for. Though something told Soren not to tell them where she was. He could be helping a criminal for all he knew, if he decided to lead them away. Still...he didn't really have any loyalty to these rowdy looking soldiers with their sticks pointed at him. He pointed the opposite direction of where he had heard the girl. Just because. They immediately left him alone, and once they were out of sight he started walking towards the direction of that pathetic sounding voice.

"Ah. Found you." Soren knew she was there, her back pressed against a tree. "You know, you should probably be more quiet if you want to hide."

Ike & Selune

Years of training had helped Ike in many ways. One included his senses being keen, particularly his hearing. His sight was .. decent but not nearly as amazing as Shinon's. Then again, Ike specialized in melee combat. He didn't need to focus upon staying far away like others such as mages or rangers. His eyes narrowed as he made out the sounds of ... soldiers? But why? The need for them had been long since gone. What was going on? Well ... there was no doubt one easy way to find out.

A pair of strong yet deft hands reached down and withdrew his blade, Ragnell. It was his prized possession and all who knew him, friend or foe, knew just how deadly it was when used in battle. Ike remained silent as he began to dart toward the source of the noises.

Soon, he found one young lady and ... several bandits. Ike couldn't help but roll his eyes at the sight.

Well, better thieves than soldiers.

Not that he'd wish for anything horrible to happen, mind you. But it seemed as if he had merely made the wrong assumption. His feet carried him the rest of the way until finally, he closed the remaining gap between himself and the shady men. His blade reached out, barely stopping in front of the neck to the closest bandit. Ike could kill; but never liked doing so unless it was absolutely necessary. And given he had a very high reputation and all, he hoped to avoid much if any fighting as he began to speak.

"You will turn and leave this maiden alone. If you wish to be stubborn, you may. But rest assured, it'll meet in nothing but a swift demise. So, you brats gonna wise up? Or are you that desperate?"

Sure the words were arrogant but Ike was currently a few things. Tired from the long trip and most certainly able to back up the words. Anyone who had even merely heard of his name knew the words were anything but a fluke.

Poor Selune's heart was beating so wildly in her chest that she almost swore it was trying to leap out of it. And the pace only seemed to increase as she heard the soldiers not too far away! A strong gust began to form around her.

No! Damnit, no! Just go away .... hm?

The winds began to die down as Selune realized .. they weren't talking to her. Someone else was here? But she hadn't see another person in sight. Well ... she was exhausted so she likely had missed something or, in this case, someone. As the footsteps ran the other way, they lessened but by no means stopped. If anything the presence of what she fairly assumed to be her savior briefly made the gusts dance around her once more.

As far as Selune knew, this man may just try to use her and want something back. She had never seen him before in the past several days of running. He could be aligned with anyone and ... well .... Selune was trying to be cautious. A bit much, yes, but better than letting her guard down at all.

"What do you really want?"

"Why'd you help me?"

Other similar thoughts raced through her head. But ... wow. Those all sounded horrible, ungrateful even. And gods help her, she did have some manners. The glare that had been in her eyes finally vanished as did the wind. Her body fell slowly to the ground, using the tree behind her as a means to help her stay somewhat supported.

"I ... I know, yes," she replied, trying to keep her voice as calm as possible. "But .. they haven't allowed me many chances to try to use any sort of stealth. I ... I really don't know what this is all about."

It sounded so pathetic and stupid, she knew. No one had believed her before. Why would he?

The mere thought made the winds begin to pick up once more as desperation surrounded the female mage.

Katlynn had her bow drawn and at the ready to shoot the closest bandit, but before she did, a perfect stranger came out of nowhere and stepped in between her and the ax wielding buffoon, who stopped in his tracks before he accidentally beheaded himself on that sharp looking sword. Katlynn could only see the strangers back, his cloak elegantly falling in place now that he was being still. For a few short moments, there was silence after he spoke his words.

"Ugh...fine. But I assure you, lass. If you were the one who stole from us, you will pay for it at some point or another." The man slowly stepped away from the stranger. He seemed to be scared of him. Even if he didn't know who he was...he was definitely intimidating.

As the trio walked away, Katlynn sighed and then slowly pulled back her bow, taking the arrow and placing it back in it's quiver that hung at her side. "Umm..." Katlynn waited for the stranger to turn to her. Oh...so that was why they ran with their tales between their legs. This man was..absolutely..well..those muscles were...ah...it seemed like Katlynn was completely stunned by the man's physique as her eyes slowly looked him up and down. Then up again so that she was looking at his face now. Oh, he was handsome too.

"Thank you for the help, but I didn't need it. Okay, well I did..but...you didn't have to do that for me." The woman was not used to having anyone come to her rescue. For as long as she knew, everyone wanted her dead...especially when they noticed that strange marking..on her tongue. She put away her bow and then untied a pouch from her belt. She took a few gold pieces out of it and then tied it back on person. Slowly she approached him, holding out her hand. "Here...for the trouble."

Katlynn's face was turned away while she offered him payment. She could not bare to look at her handsome hero. She wondered who he was, and why he was out here.

As she spoke, Soren came into view. The first thing he noticed were those tattoos..no markings. So that was what this was about? This woman probably didn't do anything..except be what he knew she was. Soren had run into his kind occasionally, though they usually chose to seclude themselves from others. He was fortunate that his brand could easily be mistaken as the mark of a spirit charmer. But her...it was only too obvious.

She didn't know what it was about? So maybe she didn't know what she was. It wasn't his place to educate her about her lineage, so for now, Soren pushed his theory to the back of her mind. Suddenly he began to feel the wind pick up around her body. She wasn't even...using a spellbook?

"No. Stop that." Soren ordered as he approached her. "I'm not going to hurt you, so don't go attacking me with that strange magic that isn't coming from a spellbook." The last time he had seen someone able to cast magic without a book, was the last time he saw Micaiah...the light priestess who could heal by sacrificing her own health. Though this was clearly different.

"Hmmph." He looked her up and down and wondered if she could even control it. "Do you just summon wind like that? Or do you have a spell book? Seems like a spell book would be easier for you to channel that magic through. It seems pretty unstable the way it is now."

Ike & Selune

A soft sigh elicited from Ike. He was glad that he didn't have to immediately try to fight. True, it would have been over quickly but .. still. It didn't make the thought of what could have - and nearly did - occur any less annoying. His eyes glared sharply at the three men, making sure they all left rather than attempting to pull off any last second stunts to hurt the young lady. Only when they were completely out of his line of sight did he finally turn and face the young woman himself. There was definitely an .. exotic feel that seemed to surround her. His mind briefly went back to the same unanswered question he hadn't seemed to find an answer for.

" ... Are you trying to suggest the one thing you're missing in life is a partner?"

Even if that was true, it didn't feel right that this woman should make him think of things like that so hastily. Yet, was it truly that fast? He wouldn't live forever, after all. Maybe it was something he should think about?

"Later ... " he inwardly scolded himself, finally forcing the thoughts to go away for the time being. Blue orbs looked right into the set of matching eyes across from him. His voice was gentle yet it held a slightly firm tone to it.

"I don't think you did but, to make sure, you didn't steal, did you?"

Granted, he wouldn't force her to return anything that she had taken if this was the case. He just wanted to see if she could be honest with him. That alone would be more than a good enough start. His head quickly shook from side to side as the woman insisted he hadn't needed to intervene.

"I'm used to helping others out. Plus, now that I see you're an archer, range is your forte. No offense meant, of course, but I've seen and worked with some skilled rangers. So at least from what I've seen, this much appears to be true."

Ike couldn't help but raise an eyebrow as she seemed to avoid eye contact with him. Did this mean she was indeed guilty of stealing from those men? Or was there something else bothering her? His gaze then went to the small bag of coins as his head moved once more. "It really was no trouble. You .. keep your money for yourself. I have ample amount of my own. Um, may I know your name, Miss? I am Ike."

He could have added the part of being the captain of the Greil mercenaries, and perhaps should have. But for the time being, he wanted to have a more informal talk if at all possible. Ike had done tons of conversations with various royal or important people in the past. He wanted a break from that, if it was possible.

For a few moments, the wind continued to surround Selune. It was as if her very soul was trying desperately to peer into Soren's, or at least determine if his words were genuine or not. When she couldn't hear any form of deceit in them, the wind turned into a breeze before finally vanishing completely. She'd trust him .. for now. But if she got any hints that this had all been an elaborate lie, Selune would have no qualms conjuring her magic once more. But gods help her, she wanted to believe him. It had been irritating for her to run into the most cold and cruelest people that seemed to exist. A change in what she was used to would not only be nice but even appreciated.

"Yes. It's .. been something I've always been able to do. It has also gotten me into trouble because of it. I don't usually mean to just conjure it up like that. Lately, it seems to react to certain emotions; desperation, anger, fear, things like that. I've never had a tome though. I .. kind of self-discovered I had this ability at a young age. Needless to say, too many have been afraid to explain or teach it to me."

This was partly true. If she knew of her heritage, however, she would know that was another contribution. But what she was saying wasn't wrong either.

Her eyes softened as they looked up at the mage. A brief pause lingered between the two magic users before finally, Selune spoke once more.

"Um .. where exactly are we? I haven't had time to do more than run. So I've .. lost track of where I've been running towards. I know I used to be in Melior for a while. But ... I'm not sure where this is now."

Hmm. So he didn't want money. He didn't even really seem to want her gratitude. Though she felt his eyes on him, probably waiting for her to answer his question on that stealing bit. Oh, and the part about her name. His name was Ike, huh? She vaguely remembered hearing that name somewhere, but there were probably many Ikes in Tellius. "Mnn..." She began as she drew her hand back, disappointed that he didn't take her gratuity."I...may have stolen it. Okay, I did. But they were bandits, and they just had it laying there. The rules of the forest are finders keepers..."

Ugh, that was a horrible reason. Yet she went to go on. "M-my name is..." Oh, what was her name? It had been a long time since she had spoken it out loud. The only person who called her by name was her deceased mother. "Katlynn. I'm Katlynn..." Her words sounded as if she were lost in thought. Her eyes slowly turned towards Ike, to see if he was upset with her for stealing. She was so used to seeing people disgusted with her, that she really did expect it.

It's not like he would punish her...probably. He knew as much as she did that those men were nothing but scoundrels. Though for some reason he had a stoic look to him, someone that cared about what was right or wrong.

After Katlynn's mother died, however, Katlynn had to do what she needed to survive. Stealing had been her last resort, but she really needed supplies and she figured if she had enough gold she could get one of those people to sell her something. Instead, they accused her of stealing from them, when she would never do that. She sighed heavily and looked to be lost in thought..just after introducing herself.

She kind of missed being home. She missed being in the place where her mothers memories were.

Soren stared down at the woman for a moment. If she could summon magic just by emotions that was truly a talent. "Not many people could explain or teach you how to control a magic that is not contained by a book, woman." His tongue was sharp and blunt, something he was famous for in his band of mercenaries. Though seeing her looking so...pathetic...was causing him to feel something. Pity? Was it truly pity for this girl?

"Though, I suppose every mage needs a teacher. I have once read in one of my books sometime ago, about a magic similar to yours. One that simply came out without the caster even summoning it. Maybe I can find that one again and see if I can make sense of it."

That was...if she wanted to come with him. Being that she resembled somewhat of a wounded animal...though far more attractive than one...she would probably be over protective of herself. "Well, maybe." He said quickly before pulling out a scroll from his sleeve and walking over to a large rock. "As for where we are..." He began as he unrolled his map of Tellius, glancing over it. "We are currently in the woods of Arbor...I'm going north. I don't want to end up Gallia, and I don't think you do either."

Soren had no prejudice against the Laguz, but he really just wanted to get back to his group. He had journeyed to Tatana to investigate an artifact found there, though it wasn't really anything special. A journey by himself would keep his senses sharp, however. So it wasn't an entire waste. "I suppose if you want, you can tag along with me. Or you can stay here and be chased by soldiers." He closed his map and then started heading north. He did have a sense of direction, so long as he was actually paying attention to where he was going.

Ike & Selune

Ike hadn't meant to sound ungrateful. That was the last thing he'd ever intentionally do. At the same time, however, he never liked being paid for simple tasks like this. If it had been an actual assignment, maybe he'd be able to accept the coins with no qualms. But just because he helped a maiden out? No. Ike didn't have it in him to accept them so easily for seemingly no real reason. All the same, now a bit of guilt rushed through him. His reaction probably sounded harsh if not a bit cruel. He could probably make up for that later ... somehow. Right now, there were a few questions going through his head.

Needless to say, Ike couldn't help but raise an eyebrow as she admitted to stealing, using such childish logic all the while.

"Finders keepers? Truly? Granted, she is young but not to the point of a mere child who would otherwise say such things .. "

Yet, she had been honest and that much he was grateful for. Thinking over the answer in his head a few times, Ike slowly nodded as he sighed. "Well ... I do appreciate you not trying to lie to me. Still, no more of that. Deal? May I ask, however, what exactly you're doing out here? It's far from any of the actual cities or even nations. Are you .. lost or something? It is a pleasure to meet you by the way."

The circumstances weren't exactly the best by they also weren't the worst. Hopefully, they could have a better journey than they'd had for an introduction soon enough. Off the top of Ike's head, he didn't have anywhere in mind to go to. However, if it was absolutely needed, he could easily escort this young woman to or away from any given place. It'd all depend on her answer of if she had been aiming for a specific location or not.

"Selune!"

Her fists clenched as she heard the term 'woman' used to address her. Her teeth gripped her lower lip for a few brief moments before letting go slowly.

"It's ... Selune, please." she corrected herself, knowing a good portion of her attitude was coming from lack of nutrition. That, alas, was not the other mage's fault. So she was trying not to snap at him for things that he hadn't caused. However, if he called her such a term again, she would definitely speak up. Everyone had a name and it had been far too long since she'd heard her official one. It really did get irritating to hear things like 'you', 'wench', 'woman', 'witch', or other such similar words.

Her eyes narrowed as she let out a scoff, slowly getting up to her feet.

"Don't be foolish. Staying here is all but asking for a death wish. I'm not quite seeking that out, thanks. So . . you are? You know my name now but I don't know yours."

Sure enough, Selune began to follow behind Soren, hinting she was all but eager - and in her own way, appreciative - of his offer to go elsewhere. Sure, she wasn't expressing it the best. But at least the untrained mage wasn't alone in this department. It wasn't like Soren was an ace when it came to expressing his own feelings either, given how he'd spoken and acted around her thus far.

Katlynn was young, and her mind really hadn't had much time to mature being as how she had spent her later years alone with only her thoughts to keep her company. Though Ike did not seem to look at her in disgust. He did giver her...a look. Though, it wasn't as nasty as it could have been. The silence between them felt like it lasted for ages, though finally he opened his mouth to speak. She expected a scolding, but instead she was praised for not lying. Of course Katlynn didn't lie...she was a terrible liar and as such she simply told the truth. Oh..and also lying was wrong...

"Deal." She agreed quickly as he continued on to ask her why she was out here. Horse feathers! If he knew that she had gotten chased out of her own village, he'd think even less of her, wouldn't he? "Nice to meet you too..as to why I am out here..." She didn't have to tell him everything. Though she felt bad for hiding things from him. She sighed and then scratched the back of her head. "Well, I was banished from my village because they thought I was stealing from them. I didn't...but since I had money from the bandits they assumed I took it from them. Honestly though, they never liked me much. Or my mother." Katlynn's expression was downcast as she spoke. Though she managed to cheer herself up a little bit when she remembered what her goal was.

"Though it's okay! I needed some motivation to leave since I want to find my father. I heard he lives on an island in the south...But umm..I honestly have no idea where I'm going." She looked at Ike once more and then had an idea. "I know! If I give you all this gold, maybe you can help me find him? He shouldn't be hard to find, he's a King! At least that's what mother always told me."

"Ah yes. Selune." Soren had to remember how sensitive women were. They liked to be called by name. Though that was fine, he could do that at the very least. He knew that he wasn't the best of company, so that wasn't going to be the last thing that would unintentionally offend her.

Soren wasn't being foolish, he knew she would follow him. She really did have no other choice, it seemed like she couldn't defend herself at all seeing as how she couldn't control any of her magic.

"My name is Soren." His answer was short, as if he couldn't be bothered by formal introductions. Though something pulled at him to be more polite to this woman. After all, she had probably gone through much prejudice in her life, and Soren did not want to add to it. Turning to the woman following him, he gave her a brief nod. "It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Selune." His eyes were locked on hers for a bit as he studied her.

Despite his politeness, he didn't really look any friendlier. He offered no smile to her, though it was rare that he did to anyone really. Soren was just not the charismatic type. "So what do you intend to do after I help you out of this forest, Selune?"

Ike & Selune

Ike remained quiet as Katlynn explained herself, particularly why she was out here of all places. Her story made enough sense because if anyone had more than enough time to grab at least a map, they would have known what Ike was about to relay to her. A small smile crossed his face as he finally sheathed his blade away, realizing he had subconsciously still been holding onto it. "Well .. you're in the very wrong direction, first off. We're near the uppermost part of Tellius. To be more precise, we're rather close to Crimea." He paused, trying to recall what exactly was even south. Usually, he would know these things off the top of his head. It appeared, however, this vacation had made him forget quite a bit which made him frown slightly.

Ike was slightly taken aback to hear he was speaking to a princess of all people. The last royal person he'd conversed with had been Queen Elincia and that had been before the mess with the damn towers. Ah, what memories the thought gave him. Briefly moving them to the back of his mind once more, he stared at the same coins. In his head, he knew what he wanted to say.

"It feels wrong to accept those for such a simple task, Princess."

But ... he had already probably come off as harsh if not worse to her. He definitely didn't wish to ruin his reputation, be it as a man in general or leader of the Greil mercenaries. After contemplating and looking at the bag, he finally offered Katlynn an affirmative nod.

"Very well. Sounds like a fair arrangement. Before we begin to try to head south, however ... are you hungry by chance? I literally just got back onto Tellius and remember my way around. I can get us into Crimea and see about finding a tavern in any of their cities."

"I know my way around well enough at any rate ... "

But he didn't want to admit that he had forgotten certain locations. That, if nothing else, could be fixed by purchasing a map. He used to have one but it had gotten lost during the vacation.

Selune silently looked at Soren, almost trying to study if he even was being sincere with his words. Probably not though honestly, they were some of the more generous ones she'd heard in a long while. And if for no other reason than that, she would accept them. Her head politely bowed as she returned the gesture. Once he inquired about what she would do, however, her steps slowed. The realization of her not having an answer hit her hard, as if Soren had actually slapped her as opposed to asking a simple question.

Her gaze lowered towards the ground as she tried to think. Still, nothing entered her head. Raven locks moved from side to side as her head did before she glanced up with an almost lost - defeated even - expression in her eyes.

"I ... have no idea. I don't really have anywhere to go anymore. I always seem to get chased out most of everywhere I try to go to even though I don't steal or anything ... "

To add insult to injury, she knew she had to try to seek sanctuary somewhere, lest she perish from malnutrition. Her teeth gripped her lower lip again as her hands wrapped around her stomach. Selune felt herself actually want to beg this mage to follow her even after they left the woods but.. no. Her pride kept her quiet. Even if it was the most logical thing to do, she just didn't have it in her to bring the subject up. Besides, hadn't he done enough by at least helping her avoid those soldiers?

It was something Soren certainly didn't have to do .. and yet he had gone on and lied to them anyway.

Even if she wasn't sounding like it then and there, Selune truly was grateful for that. Few other people she'd seen and known - or at least met - would have ever taken such a risk like that.

As soon as Ike accepted her proposal, Katlynn smiled brightly. She had never expected to find someone who was willing to travel with her. In fact, Ike was actually the first person to talk to her like a normal human being, aside from her mother. It made her feel warm inside, to finally have someone accept her..and actually believe her! No one had ever believed anything Katlynn said. He didn't seem to question her even when she said she was chased out of her village. Maybe he really appreciated her honesty? Katlynn would have to remember that.

"Hungry?" Katlynn repeated the word as if it were alien. Katlynn was always hungry. It was a feeling she ignored though, up until the point where she became dizzy and actually did need food. Wait, more importantly...did he say he just got back to Tellius? As in he was gone from the continent? Wow. Katlynn had never been out of the village much less a continent. She would have to bug him about that and ask him to tell her stories. Ooh, that meant he knew what the ocean was like!

"Umm, sure. I've never seen Crimea before, so...that's fine. We can make a short stop before going." The girl was feeling something. Something warm inside of her chest. She hadn't remembered the last time she felt this way...not since her mother died. Really, this stranger that had saved her and now agreed to travel with her was making her feel so..happy. Not the kind of happiness she had to convince herself with either, but actual..true happiness.

As much as Katlynn attempted to tell herself she didn't need anyone, she had always wanted a friend. Though no one seemed to actually want her around or to be around her. "Umm...Thank you, Ike." Katlynn seemed a bit antsy while she contemplated something. She wanted to hug him to show her gratitude, but she wasn't sure if he'd like it. Still, the urge was strong and she finally acted upon it. She jumped at him, throwing her arms around him and embracing him tightly. "Thank you!" Her words were much louder this time. Stronger. "Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

Soren listened to her answer, though he wasn't looking at her anymore. Instead he was focusing on the current path they were taking which sometimes was a bit difficult to walk through thanks to overgrown routes or fallen over logs. So, she had no where to go. That wasn't surprising at all. Probably every place she had been to, she scared people with that weird magic that followed her.

Hmm. Soren could probably help her. Give her a place to stay for a little bit until she got that wind problem under control. The question was if that was a good idea or not. Selune seemed like she was more trouble than she was worth, and yet...

His eyes went to her once more, and he watched her wrap her arms around her stomach. Considering she didn't look like she had any belongings at all, she probably hadn't eaten for a while. "Hold." Soren ordered as he stopped walking and then started to fumble through the satchel around his shoulders before finding the last of his rations. He had been saving it for tonight, though she seemed to need it much more.

"Here. It's nothing good, just some dried out meat...though you seem hungry." He reached out and took her hand with his empty one, turning it upwards so that her palm was facing out. Then he placed the rations in he palm and removed his hands from hers. Women always had such soft hands, Soren would note. He didn't resume walking, he just stared at her expecting her to finish eating before they started walking again. After a moment, he looked away from her.

"I will extend an offer to you. You can come home with me, and I will teach you how to control that magic. People won't feel the need to chase you out of town if you don't accidentally attack them, hmm? Selune?" Soren didn't truly a hundred percent know if he could help her. Though if he was correct, he did have a book that described strange powers like hers. He had a theory anyway, that perhaps if Selune knew how to defend herself she wouldn't be so timid. Then her emotions would be in control so she didn't have to unleash that power as self defense whenever she felt threatened.

Ike & Selune

The honest to gods answer was more along the lines of something even simpler. Ike was never a man to judge anyone. Well, not unless they gave him a reason to do so. And while yes, Katlynn had admitted to stealing, she also added that it had been done in order to survive. So given all the various situations he could have been told about, this was - admittedly - one of the better ones that he could have been told which included theft. The ability and will to survive was a very important instinct and if she truly had been exiled from her own home, she would all but have to resort to such measures. After all, no sane person just wanted to give up on life and die. No, everyone had that one certain something that they desired to live for if not a person or even both.

"Ironic, don't you think? You don't have one after all,"

Well .. not exactly anyway. He did have the other mercenaries, yes. But with everyone having gone their separate ways, what were the odds he'd find any of them again? Lest another war threatened to emerge, the honest to gods answer was slim. The thought of another conflict made him shudder as Ike almost instantly refused to further think on those what-if scenarios.

Then again, Katlynn soon gave him something else to focus on. He had sensed it every since they had met and now, Ike was better understanding and pinpointing what that "something" was. The aura around her was one of a naive and yet kind nature. It wasn't something often found. In fact, the last time he remembered feeling such a sensation had been whenever he was around his sister. The combination of the memory plus hearing her repeatedly thank him made his smile widen.

"It's no --- "

That was as far as he got before she wrapped her arms in an embrace. It felt innocent enough but .. it still made his pulse quicken ever so slightly. Why had that happened? He blinked a few times, more at himself than the young maiden hugging him before his own hands slowly wrapped around her body. His arms rested against her back, leaving only when she gently moved away from the embrace.

"It's, ahem, no trouble. Really. But what stop did you want to make before going to Crimea? Mainly so I know where to go."

Selune had thought the same thing for a while, that it was the magic. But .. no. It was definitely the damn marks on her shoulders. The unnerving stares she would always get practically spelled that much out. Or ... was it both? Hell if she knew. It was a miracle she should properly think, let alone reply, to Soren. She almost didn't register the command to stop until the sight of food came into view. Just as Soren was taking his own mental notes, she was doing so too.

His touch was far more gentle than most of the words he'd said to her thus far. But .. was that only because he was also a mage and thus didn't need to wield a heavy weapon like a blade? Or was that supposed to signal something else perhaps?

"Famished," she confessed softly, raising her hands as she began to eat. It took most of Selune's willpower to keep from devouring the meat too fast. No, she did remember that one could easily get a stomach ache. And even if that was avoided, there was the issue of failing to savor the food one just finished eating. While she continued to consume the meal, Selune listened to Soren's every word that caught her ears.

"He'd .. do that? Why? Does he want ... no! Stop, don't think like that. Maybe ... he really does just want to help?"

It seemed and sounded that way. But what if it wasn't the case? She supposed if it came down to that, she could leave before any harm came upon her. But until then, this was the first person she had met in years who even began to treat or speak to her in somewhat normal, let alone decent, manner. It'd be stupid of her to shove him away, more so since she didn't have a back-up plan of sorts.

"That ... would be appreciated," she finally - and earnestly - answered as she finished with the meat. "I .. thank you." She had considered correcting him about it being the random attacks that drove her out. But why? It was a petty technicality that she didn't feel like disputing over. So she'd pretend he had been right for the time being and accept the offer before it was taken away.

He was hugging her back. He was really, really hugging her. The feeling just made that warmth in her chest grow extremely hot. She started to get emotional as he embrace only tightened feeling his arms around her. Though she knew eventually that she had to stop, so she let him go reluctantly. He did the same and Katlynn just pushed back a strand of her hair and giggled only a tiny bit. Oh gosh, she was acting foolish but...Ike was...well he was so comforting, even though he probably didn't meant to be.

When Katlynn looked up at Ike to give him another warm smile, she saw the expression on his face and it honestly surprised her. He looked so tough and manly but his cheeks seemed to be hot. From what? Her hugging him? Did he also feel that heat in his chest when he returned the hug? Ah...maybe she'd ask him about it at another time.

"Ah, well actually...I'm not sure if it's on the way, but I want to see the ocean." She admitted to him, looking away. "I have...something I need to do there. If it's not on the way, it's okay. We will run into it when we find the island my father is on." Something she needed to do..it was something she had to do or she'd never forgive herself. In her backpack was a jar of ashes...the only thing she had truly cared about getting when she was run out of town. Her mothers ashes needed a resting place, and her mother loved the ocean.

She wondered if Ike would find it strange that she carried such a thing. Most people got buried, but...her mother was treated differently just as she was. The villagers elected to burn her body...and Katlynn had no say in the matter. After it was all said and done, Katlynn just gathered what she could and for a long time she would just talk to that jar out of loneliness, calling it mom. It was time for her to set her mother free.

Once she was done eating, he found no reason to keep standing there. So he continued on. At least she accepted his offer without giving him a tough time. "Good. Though don't thank me yet. I have never taken on a student, though I feel as though I should at least try to help you."

Something was bothering her. She looked like she wanted to say something, but didn't. Perhaps it was because he blamed her magic for her misfortune. Though he knew the truth. For a moment there was silence as the walked together, though he felt like he needed to say something. "You know, perhaps if you found a different method of dress, you'd have a better time as well. I have known others with marks like yours, and they all keep them hidden well. They have an easier time than you seem to be having."

Soren could have gone further and told her what those markings were. Though he still felt like it was not his place to do that. Not until he knew she actually wanted to know the truth. She didn't seem to know the exactly why her marks were bad, so that probably meant she knew nothing of the laguz parent that was responsible for her birth.

"Once we get to civilization, I will let you borrow my cloak until we can get you your own. Or something else to cover your shoulders. Besides, soon it will be getting cold. I don't want to see you freeze."

It was odd. Soren had never really thought about stuff like that. Maybe during his travels alone, he had missed companionship. At first it was refreshing to finally not be bothered by anyone. To read his books alone in the comfort of silence. Though soon after he found it quite...lacking. It annoyed him, though not to the point where he sought to rectify it.

Ike & Selune

It had definitely been true, to certain extents, that Ike had not meant to come off as comforting. Simultaneously, he wasn't just about to be heartless either. And the gesture truly had seemed innocent enough so .. there was no harm - at least not to Ike - in accepting her hug. As they slowly let go, his hands fell back to his sides; yet they still could almost feel as if they were against the fabric of her clothes. He let out a soft sigh, mentally getting a hold of himself.

Really, Ike? What's wrong with you?! Just ... calm down. It was done in a sisterly manner .. right?

It had felt and even looked that way. So why was part of him feeling as if it had been much more?

The question about the ocean snapped Ike out of his thoughts as he looked down to Katlynn. "I've never really bothered to stop by it before but .. there is at least a body of water a bit up from here. I'm not certain if it's an ocean but .. it is something. And it would be there first as opposed to Crimea so I don't mind stopping there. I just want to make certain you can wait for food that long though. Because if not, we can switch the order of locations we head to first. It wouldn't be good for you to starve, after all."

He then went silent, allowing Katlynn to ponder on his words. Regardless of what she did say, Ike mentally prepared himself to guide her to the appropriate destination.

It was definitely intriguing for Selune to hear Soren admit that he'd never taken a student. Even though he hadn't used any of his magic yet, she could sense it. It wasn't only stronger but much more controlled than her own, causing the female mage to feel slightly jealous. But .. it had been as he said. Both of them at that rate. No one had helped Selune before. He .. was very likely to be a different case.

Well, no shit. He has to be. Otherwise .. things would truly be chaotic now.

Her arms briefly went over her chest. Selune had been more than ready to protest with some retort along the lines of it wasn't like she could just snap her fingers and make some new clothes appear in her hands. And no damned way would she resort to stealing .. not unless she absolutely had to anyway. But before any of that could even pass her lips, he hinted something she had been wondering about for a while now.

"W-wait. So .. what do you mean? What do these mean?!"

So ... they aren't just fancy tattoos?! Damnit all, I knew it! But ... why does he seem to know? Is it something he's seen before? Another reason?

The genuine sense of curiosity and a desire to know, even if the truth would be painful, was easy for Soren to detect in both her voice and eyes as she caught up and was now walking beside him instead of behind him.

Katlynn could feel her stomach growling now that she was thinking about it. Though his response slightly unnerved her. "Well, it can't be any body of water. It has to be the ocean." Katlynn said softly as she looked off into the distance. She was quiet for a few moments as she got lost in her thoughts just as he did not too long ago. "Actually, I just thought of something better..." She looked up at Ike and gave him a warm smile. Despite everything she had gone through, she was still willing to smile and make others smile. That was just her nature.

"I'll wait until we get on the boat to get to that island to do what I have to do. So let's just go get something to eat, Ike. After all, I kinda just umm...pulled you into my little journey. The least I can do is let you get some food and rest before we go." She told him as she reached out of his hand and took it. Since Ike had allowed her to hug him, she didn't see any issues with any type of physical contact between them. He was the first person who didn't recoil from her touch. In fact, he seemed to appreciate it. So she took full advantage of that and held his hand. His strong, slightly rough hand. It was warm too. People were warm.

"We better get going though. Don't want those mean bandits to try to ambush us or something." She started to lead him in the direction she was going, though she realized she had no idea what direction Crimea was in. "Umm..sorry. You should lead the way." She blushed a little as she released his hand and once he started walking she followed at his side. This really felt good..having company was nice to Katlynn.

Ah, so she really didn't know. Soren was silent for a moment as he contemplated what his answer would be to this girl. He usually didn't care how he spoke to individuals, but once again he felt the need to be delicate with this fragile woman. Something about her made him actually care enough to. He mulled some thoughts around for a few more moments, moments that probably felt like hours to Selune.

"Mmn...Those are brands. You are branded, Selune." It wasn't a matter of question, Branded had different auras than laguz and beorc. Soren knew one of his own when he was around them. "You are neither beorc nor laguz. You are a mix between the two. The result of a forbidden act between man and beast, bird, or dragon. There are others like you around, though we are definitely a minority." He said 'we' indicating that he was also apart of that group. He might as well tell her so she'd have a better time believing him. He pointed to his forehead as he looked into her eyes.

"This marking has nothing to do with magic. I was born with this. Just as you were born with those. Selune..." He paused as he looked into her eyes, studying her expression for a moment. "There are people out there who are okay being around us. Though lately I've been seeing an increase in those who are not.."

It was true. For the past couple of months word had been spreading about their kind..and the prejudice was starting to get stronger for some strange reason. A reason that Soren would investigate soon enough.

Ike & Selune

Even as Katlynn thought his words over, he was contemplating on his reply. He had seen oceans before. Ike just couldn't immediately recall where. The mix of the long vacation plus how long ago it had been since he saw one was making it slightly difficult for Ike to pinpoint where an ocean was. But her tone hinted that she needed it for something personal. As long as it wasn't another attempt to steal, Ike would be fine with whatever that 'thing' was. "I'll double check once we get to Crimea. We can head to an ocean afterward. Sound fair?" he suggested, offering a small, reassuring smile.

Sure enough, their flesh met once more but it wasn't from a hug. Rather, she took a hold of one of his hands. He stared down at the sight, seeming to almost admire it before finally closing his hand around hers.

"You did kind of set yourself up for this. Ah well. For now, it's .. not like she's trying to harm you or anything. Besides, you haven't been able to act this relaxed around another female since .... Mist or Titania."

Nodding to himself as he finished deciding there was no point in rejecting the contact, Ike chuckled softly as he began to lead Katlynn towards Crimea. "To be fair, if they did return, it wouldn't be a big deal. I've been against far worse opponents than mere bandits. But I still do understand the concern. I don't want to fight unless it's absolutely needed myself either." And with that, the trek toward their destination resumed.

Those moments most definitely felt like hours, some that threatened to expand to days. When he finally began to talk, it was a huge relief for Selune to hear him reply. Yet, it wasn't at all what she had expected either. She ... wasn't even a full beorc but a hybrid?

Were it not for the fact they were headed towards a place where she could rest up and eat without concerns of being chased, Selune would have completely halted in her tracks. She didn't cease but Selune did feel her steps slow.

" ... Me? A ... Branded?"

Thinking back, she had been raised in an orphanage for a while before being forced to live on her own. There was a lot about her background she didn't know. So even though it had definitely sounded difficult to believe, the lack of knowledge she had about her own self and past helped Selune accept this. But the icing on the cake was Soren having enough faith - or was it trust? - in her to point out his own mark which was definitely more discreet than her own.

"Why do you have two anyway? He only has one. If a Branded is the result of only one parent ... that's not the reason. Hmm ... "

It was definitely an odd thought, one she would clearly have to research on.

Selune subconsciously swallowed as Soren went on to say that while there were people who didn't mind Brandeds, there had seemed to be an increase in those who disliked them. Suddenly, she felt even more vulnerable than when Soren had first found her. Her right hand trailed along her left arm as a shiver trailed down her body. Though there hadn't been a breeze, Selune almost felt as if she had just been surrounded by a chilly gust of wind or even a blizzard.

"I ... "

It was clear Selune had no idea what exactly to think about this. The lack of arguing, however, at least hinted to Soren that she accepted and acknowledged his answer. But other than that? She was trying to figure that all, plus herself, out it seemed.

This guy was so cool! He did seem strong so she definitely believed him when he said he fought worse. But the fact that he didn't want to fight until he had to impressed her even more. The only time she ever saw strong people, they were usually bullies and took advantage of the weak. But Ike seemed to enjoy helping people more than trying to force them to do whatever he wanted. Katlynn was so fascinated by him that sometimes she found herself staring at him. He was strong, but kind. Quiet, but strong spoken when he had to be.

During the hours they walked together, Katlynn would occasionally express her amazement at the world. It was almost like taking a child out for the first time on a camping trip so they could see how different the world was outside their village. Though despite her childish curiosity, there was something ever so radiantly feminine about the way she smiled and laughed. The joys that she felt were contagious, one could only wonder how anyone found this woman threatening in any way. Though no one had really ever given the poor girl a chance just because of what they knew about her.

After they were well out of the forest, and it was starting to get later into the day, Katlynn had to take a break. She wasn't used to so much walking, and so her feet were really hurting. She sat down on the soft grass and sighed heavily. "I'm beat...how long is it gonna take to get to Crimea, Ike?" Katlynn asked as she removed her back pack and then laid all the way down on the grass. Her body was so sore. Traveling like this every day was going to be a challenge to her. Not to mention, she was really feeling how hungry she was now. Walking took a lot of energy.

Soren could hear the doubt in her voice as she struggled to process what he had just told her. He wasn't exactly sure what to do at this point. She looked like she needed consoling but being how he was the consoling type...well he just figured it was best for her to come to terms with it herself rather than him trying to talk her down. He could easily insult a woman, so...he was sure this was the best course of action to take at this point.

Perhaps she was piecing the information and memories in her head together to make sense of it all. If that was the case, Soren could understand. She didn't seem to disbelieve him. Not that there was a reason why anyone would lie to a perfect stranger about something like this. Well, some people were just that paranoid.

Though honestly, despite believing it best to let it be, the way Selune shivered and hugged herself made Soren feel strange. He actually did want to make her feel better. Compassion? For some girl he met some hour ago? Well, maybe in his later years Soren was getting a little softer. Or perhaps it was just Selune, a lost woman who seemed to be having a hard time in the world. Maybe he saw a little bit of himself in her.

"..There, there." Soren began awkwardly as he glanced at her. "It is a bit to take in, hmm? Don't think too hard about it. You are who you've always been, regardless of the way you came into this world, Selune. Nothing has changed accept for knowing a little bit more of the origin of your birth. So do try not to dwell too much on it."

Ike & Selune

The more they walked beside one another, the stronger Ike's initial gut feeling about Katlynn became. She was definitely very naive and, for the most part, innocent. He had at least mentally noted that - even with good incentive - she had still stolen. As long as that mistake didn't repeat while she was around him, Ike wouldn't care. But he certainly wouldn't immediately forget either. His guess only seemed to strengthen as she looked around a lot every now and again. He briefly hesitated before finally letting the curious thought pass his lips.

"So," he spoke, breaking the silence, "where exactly do you come from, if I may inquire? Or is that just a bit much?"

Ike blinked, taken slightly aback to hear her legs were already hurting. Then again, he had just returned. If she had been out in these woods for a while - plus hadn't eaten in a certain amount of time - Ike supposed her complaint made more sense. He slowly nodded before letting another offer linger, albeit this one caused the faintest tinges of crimson to paint his face.

"If it's that bad ... I can carry you. If, that is, you wouldn't mind. Otherwise, we can stop for a bit."

Part of Soren was definitely correct. There was indeed a portion of Selune which was adding two and two together. Now, she didn't really feel like she knew or understood who she was anymore. Who had her parents been? Did they even die naturally? Or had there been some form of foul play? If the relationship was deemed to be that taboo, it was definitely possible. The thought was harsh and very grim but .. there was no point in lying to herself anymore.

Finally, however, Soren's words made her temporarily leave her thoughts. She looked over to him and felt her head bow in appreciation.

"Those ... have been some of the best and kindest words I've ever heard. Thank you."

The confession alone made her feel pathetic yet relieved. It had really taken for her to meet Soren to be treated somewhat decently? Sad. But maybe this was finally the beginning of a new start for her? She definitely wanted that to be the case.

Despite having been able to constantly move and run the past few days, her own fatigue was gradually starting to take its toll on her feet. But her persistent pride refused to make that fact obvious to Soren. Even though her legs burned and screamed to her in agony, she continued to walk, all while fighting the urge to cry tears of joy.

As far as she could see and tell, Soren truly was her blessing and - in Selune's mind and eyes at least - her angel of sorts. Definitely one of the most positive people she'd met thus far; no questions about that.

Katlynn's face went bright red as she imagined Ike carrying her..like the way men carried their brides after marriage. She covered her face and started to giggle a bit at the thought. Ike was so charming, and chivalrous too! Oh, he would make the perfect husband, though Katlynn was much too young to think about such things. Or was she? Some girls got married at fifteen, and she was already in her early twenties...

Still, she had just met Ike..thinking like that was inappropriate. It was just the first time a boy..well a man had ever been nice to her. "I could never ask you to carry me, Ike...Not the whole way. But if you aren't tired...well maybe you can carry me for five or ten minutes so I can rest..."

She couldn't help herself. Being in the arms of a man was something she had never experienced before. Plus, she remembered what it was like when she was small enough to be picked up by her mother. It was...nice. She wanted to feel that again. What that was, she didn't know.

"Oh! I'm from Alrune. It's a small village, doubt you've ever been. I guess it's south of the forest we just got out of. I've never really been good with directions. I don't even know how to tell where I'm going, so I didn't even bother bringing a map with me. Not that I had one."

Those were the kindest words she had ever heard? Really? Well, he was trying to be...nice to her. Though it was a little...unnerving that he was possibly the only person that had been kind to her in years, or perhaps even most of her life. Well, at least he was right in assuming that he should have been nice to her.

"No need to bow or thank me for words. Words are just words." Soren told her nonchalantly. Hmm. That didn't come out right, but what could he do. He could only soften his words so much before his bluntness came out.

More silence between the two. Soren was feeling a tad uncomfortable, because he knew he shouldn't leave her in such silence when she was vulnerable like this. Was that really the word? Or was it..emotional? Sensitive? Soren wasn't really good with this kind of stuff. Part of the reason why he avoided women was because he didn't understand them...and being the type of person he was he enjoyed being able to read a book and understand something.

The female psychology though, could not be studied.

"...We're going to end up in Crimea at some point. Not sure if we'll make it by tonight. Not at this pace." He broke the silence by changing the subject. Was that really a good idea..?

Ike & Selune

As curious as Ike was about what made the young maiden giggle, it was another thing that he decided wasn't his business to know. She could speak up and explain if she so desred. But she hadn't so ... he wouldn't make her say where the chuckle had come from. His head tilted up slightly as she mentioned Alrune. "Hmm .. it kind of sounds a bit familiar. Off the top of my head though, I can't say why or where from. I may have just seen it on a map or actually been there. I'll have to see for myself when we arrive in Crimea."

His eyes lingered up toward the sky as he quietly studied it. It was beginning to get dark so it'd be wise to make haste. Nowhere was overly friendly after the sun vanished beyond the horizon though it especially seemed to hold true to forests. And if those bandits were determined to catch up to Katlynn ... they'd need to move. Now.

"It's quite alright. And, to be honest, much smarter if we continue to move. But if your legs are giving you that much trouble ... "

And with that, Ike's hands reached down as he easily swept Katlynn off her feet and into his arms. He made damn well sure all the same that his hands never rested in any inappropriate or sensual areas.

"My own map, it seems, vanished while I was on my vacation. Don't worry though," he reassured, resuming the walk towards Crimea. "Most taverns have at least one inside. If nothing else, there tends to be one around the whole city. Many tourists and visitors go there." he added in a matter-of-factly tone. He wasn't trying to sound as if he was superior than her in intellect, more like attempting to teach her. She still held that naive aura; if anything, it almost felt closer now that he was closer to her.

Ike's eyes stayed focused ahead of them while his ears remained alert for any out of place noises. Even with Crimea coming into view, he wouldn't dare let himself be taken off guard. He'd made that mistake before in the past. No way was Ike going to easily repeat it.

Even if Soren's reaction hadn't come out right, it hadn't been the worst either. She'd definitely experienced worse than being told it wasn't necessary to bow or thank someone. At that moment, Selune briefly tried to determine what exactly it was she was feeling. Curiosity? Hmm, not anymore. Gratitude? Well, obviously but that wasn't the only emotion. It was hidden, much like a well-trained assassin. She could feel its presence but pinpointing it, however, was a much easier said than done task.

"Hmm .. it'll probably come to you later." she decided,

The name 'Crimea' made her swallow softly. She'd been almost positive that had been where she'd ran out of. In fact, she was damn sure about it. Her mind briefly pondered the same as Soren; was that a smart idea? Probably not. At the same time, however, what else was nearby? That was an answer she didn't immediately know. And if the answer was 'nothing' ... that chance would have to be taken.

A small sigh passed her lips as she managed a nod.

"... Alright then."

"I'm probably going to need a miracle plus your cloak when we get there though."

She probably should bring it up, that Crimea had been where she'd just left. But she didn't want to come off as more of a burden than she already was. He was doing so much for her. Wouldn't it sound just a tad ungrateful if she refused to cooperate? Worse than that, she'd seem like the worst student. And Selune definitely didn't want to give off the very wrong impression to him, more so when he was the first ally - dare she think friend - that Selune had had in years.

Wow, if Alrune was on a map, she'd be surprised. That little village liked its seclusion, and rarely did she ever see them welcome outsiders. Which was why those idiots were so impoverished, because they liked to do everything their own way. Never did they collaborate with anyone else to solve any problems they had. Nope. Alrune's only allegiance was to Alrune, unless they had problems with bandits. That's when they would whine about needing help to their Queen, and then she would send someone to liberate them.

Katlynn watched Ike as he came over to her and kneeled down, feeling his arms slip underneath the back of her upper thighs and right above the small of her back. Easily, he lifted her up into his arms and Katlynn couldn't help but be amazed at his strength. Not only that, but..he was really warm. Just like he was when she had embraced him earlier on today. She couldn't help but close her eyes, wanting to focus her attention on them being so close. It was an amazing feeling, and it soothed any negative feelings Katlynn had been hiding all this time with her cheerful nature. After a while, she had to open her eyes. If she didn't, she would have fallen asleep listening to his heart beat.

Wait...had she fallen asleep?! She could see Crimea off into the distance now(though she didn't know it was Crimea, just what seemed like a town). How long had he been walking? Katlynn felt bad, because she had told him she only needed five or ten minutes of rest. Though apparently she was more tired than she thought initially. Which made sense considering she was hungry and lacked the proper energy. "Ike...sorry. I didn't mean to fall asleep against you. You were just..really warm. If you want, you can put me down. I'm okay now." She told him as she glanced up at his face. She hoped that she hadn't angered him. He was probably tired of carrying her anyway...

Soren hadn't picked up on the fact that something was bothering Selune. No...that sigh could have been about anything. Maybe she was just wary when it came to being around other people. Which Soren could understanding considering what she had been through. He himself didn't really enjoy being around others, though he wouldn't lie to himself. He missed Crimea, and he hoped to see a familiar face upon arrival.

Now that they were no longer talking, their pace seemed to pick up and they were out of the forest by sunset. Crimea was off into the distance and if you really looked you could see it's faint outlines. "Say, Selune...Those soldiers that I encountered before finding you were Crimean soldiers. Although they did look a little sketchy, I recognize the colors and the armor." Soren began, breaking the silence after a what seemed like an eternity. He had been so lost in his own wants to see his home country that he had neglected to talk to the girl, and he felt bad about that. Though he couldn't change it now.

"So you were already here right? Well, if they try to bother you again...don't panic. I won't let them bully you anymore. Still..." Soren slipped the white cloak off his shoulders, revealing his black scholar robes. He let her walk in front of her as she slipped it over her shoulders gently. They were both roughly the same height even though Soren had always been a tad shorter than most men. So he didn't have much trouble with the task. "Wear this. It will help you blend in some more at least. Why those idiots ran all the way into the forest to track you is beyond me. They are probably not too far behind us. Unless they are still searching for you out there." Soren patted her shoulder and then took the lead. "I'm sorry if you're tired, though I'd much rather rest in town than out here. After dusk is sometimes harsh and unforgiving...Camping out should only be done if there is no other place to go."

Ike & Selune

No more than about ten minutes had passed before Katlynn woke up from her nap. Ike greeted her with a small smile and polite bow of his head before looking back up in front of her. His head merely shook in a side to side direction as she tried to apologize. "Don't be silly. Clearly, you needed it. You'll be able to get more sleep when we can find an inn to rest within. Don't apologize for something like that." Yet as he spoke, Ike gently set Katlynn down. Once more, her feet touched the ground as Ike's now free right hand rested near the hilt of his blade.

"We should be able to arrive before it becomes dark. The walk is about .. a few minutes away. You think you'll be able to manage?"

Ike was certainly not angry nor was he tired. He hadn't exerted nearly as much energy as he could and would be able to continue traveling with ease. Admittedly, he was a bit exhausted mentally, mainly from all the traveling he'd done in the past year. But it wasn't overpowering him so much that he would fall unconscious then and there. No, he could at least make himself be able to escort Katlynn into Crimea before that.

"... Yeah, they were." Selune admitted, figuring there was no point in trying to make him believe he'd seen something - or in this case, someone - else. Besides, seh should have brought this up sooner. But since he had ... there were no surprises. And, sure enough, he had began to add two and two together. The slightest hint of a smile creeped across Selune's face. She may have found quite the socially awkward teacher, but Soren was damn smart. And while his occupation likely did help, it didn't sound like that was the only reason he was intelligent. It was a nice trait to see within another person. As of late, many tended to display the 'all brawn and no brains' stereotype, especially within the soldiers.

More than anything, Selune's legs were still very much burning and weary. She could keep her eyes open long enough. For the most part, however, she understood his words probably held some truth to them. She'd never really been able to practice them much. But she still did recall being able to move on through a set of mountains, woods, or other type of landscape in order to get into an actual city first.

Recently, however, she had been forced to camp. The last thing Selune had really been allowed to be, even though she hated resorting to it, was picky.

"Yeah ... yeah, I was there." A new sensation of warmth covered Selune's body. Yet it wasn't only from the new cloak draped over her flesh. She could also feel it from the brief touch when his hands fell upon Selune's shoulders. Even though some of his words had sounded harsh and cold, she could detect that it wasn't the real him.

Maybe .. Soren didn't know how to use his more gentle side?

"Or maybe you're just seriously over-thinking? Hmm .. probably .. "

Nodding both to herself and Soren's words, she took a long, deep breath.

"I .. think they may still recognize me by face. But ... thanks anyway."

Even if he'd said earlier that she didn't need to, it was a habit for Selune. She was definitely no barbarian and thus had manners. Moreover, it felt odd not to say anything back. It would have been more awkward to not say anything in reply than thanking him.

At least that's how it seemed in her mind and eyes.

Swallowing nervously, Selune continued to follow Soren, ironically heading back towards the very same nation she'd run away from.

As soon as she was placed down, Katlynn could feel a stiffness in her legs from not moving them for quite a bit. Though they weren't incredibly sore, which was a good sign. "I can definitely make it. Thank you for letting me rest." She told him as she resumed walking with him. She looked out to the horizon and smiled at the sight. The colors were so radiant, and the change of scenery was nice. She had watched the sunset before, but right now it just looked even more beautiful. Katlynn could feel the chill of the night air settling in. Maybe she should invest in a cloak at some point. Well, not maybe. Definitely.

Crimea was as wonderful as she imagined. Ike was correct in them getting there just before dark, and despite the sun not being out it was so busy here. A few stalls were open that sold groceries, items, armor..any goods really. And of course, she could immediately tell where the taverns were because they were loud and filled with very..happy people? Probably drunk, but they seemed happy nonetheless.

As they walked passed the stalls, someone called out to Katlynn. "Girl! You look like you enjoy jewelry! Wanna take a look at my collection?!" The old woman asked, and Katlynn couldn't help but walk over to her even though her stomach wanted food...badly. Her eyes sparkled as she admired the jewelry. It was so pretty, she had never seen anything like it. "Ooh, this necklace matches well with your eyes, Miss..." She pointed to a sapphire necklace, and Katlynn's mouth just about dropped open.

"Oh my god! Umm.." She had to remember all the money she had was being paid to Ike, for escorting her on her journey. "It looks wonderful, but I can't afford it...I can't afford any of this stuff."

"Then have this handsome, gallant man of yours buy it." The woman looked at Ike and gave him a link. "Care to please your lady with some fine jewelry?"

"Well, even if they do...They won't mess with you when you are with me. Unless of course, you're really a criminal. If that's the case, even I can't save you."

Soren wondered if that was too harsh, though it was the truth. He wasn't really one hundred percent sure she was innocent, but he was usually a good judge of character. Besides, he knew how cruel people in even Crimea could be when it came to their kind. So, it was believable.

"Selune," Soren seemed to enjoy putting emphasis on her name...maybe because she had told him not to call her woman ever again? He felt like it was a friendly enough way to get her attention. "I doubt you have anything to worry about. Really. I can tel that you're nervous coming back here. You have to trust me when I say you'll be fine. I know you didn't do anything, so I will not allow you to be punished."

They would be there in about forty minutes to an hour...a little after sunset, but that was fine.

Ike & Selune

Ike took the time to admire both the scenery and Crimea finally coming into view. Maybe it had just been because he hadn't been here for over a year but somehow, this felt ... larger. It almost looked like the population had increased by tenfold. Or .. had Crimea always held this many people? He honestly couldn't recall. It'd definitely been a while since Ike had come here on a more peaceful note. Needless to say, he was glad to be able to focus on anything but immediately having to draw his sword out and fight. The thought made him smile, as did the sunset. He returned to reality, however, as one of the women behind the stalls of their store spoke to him.

The choice of words the elderly female used to describe Katlynn made the very slightest blush dance across his face.

"... My lady? I doubt she even begins to think of me in such a manner herself."

Still, he didn't object outloud. His eyes quietly looked down to the price tag before he gave the woman - well both, technically - a smile a nod. "I think I will," he replied simply, setting down the exact amount in front of the sales woman. Money had never been an issue for Ike. He had never really spent any of his money earned from any of the previous missions before. So, despite not having led the Greil Mercenaries for a while, he had kept most of what he earned from various assignments.

"Do ... you want me to put it on you, Katlynn?" he offered, ready to move some of her hair aside and clasp the necklace around her should she say yes. But if that was too personal, he'd be fine just watching her back to make certain no one tried to steal it from her. The streets were definitely crowded enough that a skilled enough rogue could try. However, with most people beginning to head inside towards taverns, he didn't really expect the trouble. Still, much better to be safe than sorry.

Soren's words certainly caught Selune's interest. Was he .. well-known or something? How was he so sure that she would be safe around him? She wanted to inquire yet not sound as if she were doubting him. Instead, she merely nodded in agreement, putting her faith and life in his hands. It wasn't something she typically did. But by this point, she had little to no choice. He really was the closest thing to an ally and friend she'd had ... ever? In years for certain.

"No. No, I'm not. There were definitely times it was tempting to, even if just to survive but ... no. I don't steal."

Otherwise, she probably would have a tome on her plus some more elegant, discreet, or perhaps both types of clothing.

Remembering Soren's persistent words about being thanked, she merely smiled while staying behind him. Finally, her luck was beginning to shift. Of all the people she could have encountered, Soren was clearly one of the much better possibilities. Were this anyone else .... gods knew what exactly would be happening to her. When the answer of 'probably nothing pleasant' entered her mind, she gripped her lower lip briefly before resuming their trek, forcing her legs to keep moving in hopes of arriving to Crimea in good time.

There were a few immediate things she'd want upon entering there; a place to sit, a meal, and somewhere to sleep -- all in about that order.

The fact that Ike was willing to pay for the jewelry surprised her, but it even surprised her more when he didn't object to the fact that this woman thought that they were a couple. Well, if he didn't object, neither would she! Though apart of her really wanted to protest him buying her something as trivial as jewelry, she couldn't speak up and reject his kindness. The stone really did match the hue of her blue eyes, and Katlynn could not wait to hang it around her neck.

"Oh thank you so much, Ike. I promise I will pay you back." She told him as he gave the woman the gold pieces for the necklace, and she handed him the item, not Katlynn. The older woman seemed very pleased, as if she were daydreaming about something. When Ike offered to put it on, Katlynn blushed a little but nodded, pulling up her long locks of charcoal black hair so it would not get in the way.

"Ahh, young love." The woman said as Ike hooked the necklace to her neck and she allowed her soft hair to fall down over her back once more. Katlynn just giggled and then took Ike's hand.

"Thanks lady! Pleasure doing business!" She told her as she dragged Ike off. She didn't seem to mind being mistaken as Ike's woman. Katlynn looked up at Ike as the walked towards the tavern so they could finally get something in their bellies. "Hey, does this really match my eyes?" She asked him with a smile, looking into his eyes. "You spent a bit of money on this and I hope it was worth it."

Well, that wasn't a surprise to Soren when she said she didn't steal. So it really wasn't a relief to hear her say that, more like confirmation. Once again, he found himself unsure of what to say. It's not like he could compliment her on not stealing..that sounded a tad condescending. Well, whenever he didn't have anything to say, he found it best to just allow the silence to take over. Lest he attempt to grasp at straws at the risk of sounding foolish.

They made good time, though Soren himself was tired. He had spent the better part of twelve hours walking non stop, breaking only for Selune. But he made good time. He was now back in Crimea and he didn't have to camp out. He kept his eyes out for any Crimean soldiers, making sure that Selune's shoulders were completely covered up.

"I have a house on the other side of town just outside the borders, but there is no food there. Let's just eat in town for now and we'll take care of that later. I'm sure you're just as hungry as I am." Soren told her as he led her inside of one of the less crowded taverns. It was still loud, but he could ignore it. Hopefully.

Ike & Selune

It just felt like Ike would have been making too much of a scene to deny the woman's guess. At least, that had been what a part of him tried to insist. Yet as he took the necklace and placed it around Katlynn's neck, he began to wonder why he was lying to himself? And what was the honest truth? On the outside, the former leader looked calm. If anyone could see the insides of his chest, however, it'd be a miracle there weren't any butterflies fluttering around. He was definitely nervous and he wasn't certain what was making him feel this way.

"With how you're reacting, you may as well have engaged to her."

But the gears in his head really started to turn when he heard the woman murmuring something about 'young love'. He smiled at her and walked off with Katlynn at his side but continued to think on those words nonetheless.

"Is ... that what this is? But you just met her. Isn't this wrong somehow?"

And yet, he had tried to figure out what was missing in his life upon returning to Tellius. Maybe a wife really had been the answer? Was he so convinced of having found the right person so quickly? Perhaps. If this had been any other woman, it wouldn't be as likely he would have bought the necklace for them. It made sense in some form or fashion to him.

"It definitely suits you," he finally replied, managing a smile as he led Katlynn into the same inn Soren had walked into moments ago. "It really does bring your eyes out."

Poor Selune gave a weak nod. The silence was mostly welcomed, honestly. Even in her fatigued state, her senses were still working. She could still pick up on noises should any try to suggest someone was attempting to ambush them. Thankfully, they had avoided that which made the young mage inwardly sigh softly in relief. The snack that her soon-to-be teacher had given her a good hour or so ago by now had helped out during that time frame. But now? She was famished once more, her body begging and wanting more food.

"Gods yes," she replied softly, "and ... tired. I could lie down anywhere and probably pass out for a good while ... "

No sooner than the two mages found a table did Ike spot them. His friend always had a way of standing out. Now that he wasn't wearing his cloak, but letting Selune use it instead, it was even easier to see him. A slight smirk crossed Ike's face as he gave a whistle then wave.

"Soren! Good to see you!" Turning to Katlynn, he began to guide her while explaining, "He's one of my best friends and the most skilled mages we had in the Greil Mercenaries. He's a good man but ... very socially awkward at worst."

"Or he used to be. Has this woman changed him? About time. Someone needed to."

But he'd save that talk for when he and Soren could be alone. Even with how easy it could be to tease him, Ike wouldn't do so. Besides, it could be used against him just as easily.

Soon, Ike had guided himself and Katlynn across from Soren and Selune.

Back
Top Bottom