Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Writing Analyzers That Attempt to Guess Gender and Age

C

Chai

A friend of mine showed these to me, and I am now passing it on to BMR. They're basically writing analyzers that try to guess which gender you are based on writing, and also which age range you belong to based on writing.

Gender Analyzer

and

Age Analyzer

I put in multiple of my writing samples, and what I noticed was that my posts without smut/sexual mention scored close to even on the gender analyzer, but my posts with smut were overwhelmingly analyzed as female, sometimes reaching 90.2% female and 9.8% male. Not sure if there was a reason for that, but it was interesting!

Then in the age analyzer, I would repeatedly get 65-100 as either my first or second ranked age range, often coming close with 26-35, then my third would either be either 13-17 or 18-25. I found this odd because the major analysis (65-100 and 26-35) is nowhere near my actual age.

What's even more fun is putting some of your partners' posts in the age analyzer and seeing how they compare to yours! I did it with mine, and they usually end up within the same analysis. I guess that says something about compatibility?

At any rate, it's pretty interesting, so go ahead and try it!

Interesting! I took two posts I did in a general role play thread. No sex in them ... yet.

The first

1. female (78.2 %)
2. male (21.8 %)

Successfully classified!

and the second,

1. female (84.2 %)
2. male (15.8 %)

Successfully classified!

From this thread. It's fun. I'll have to run some more posts through the classifier.

Now to try the age one.

First post,

1. 26-35 (30.1 %)
2. 51-65 (17.1 %)
3. 65-100 (15.2 %)

Second post,

1. 65-100 (28.4 %)
2. 13-17 (24.3 %)
3. 51-65 (17.1 %)

What this shows if we follow the progression from first post to second post is that writing (a) makes you more girly; and (b) ages you. I personally went from 78% to 84% female and from age 26-35 (accurate range) to 65-100 in a single post.

Science! Doesn't lie.

Traveler said:
Science doesn't lie, but statistics do.

But I had two data points! =)

A historian, an engineer and a statistician are duck hunting when a mallard rises from the lake. The historian fires first, but misses, shooting 10' over the bird. Then the engineer shoulders his shotgun and shoots, this time 10' under the duck. At that point, the statistician exclaims exitedly, "Got him!"

Ha ha! I'm going to have to use that joke. :D

To quote a great mind:
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics." - Mark Twain's Own Autobiography: The Chapters from the North American Review

I tend to believe that writing style and ability are more a matter of education and influence then gender and age, unless you take a concentrated group of people who have had the same education and influence and then rate them compared to each other. It's interesting to try out and play with, but I wouldn't put any money on it.

Still - I appreciate Ariamella's sharing the sites with us. These are fun to play with and I'm going to pass them on to others to enjoy.

With a few more tries it seems when I use posts from a female character the gender ratio levels out. Age still stays up there though.

Traveler said:
I tend to believe that writing style and ability are more a matter of education and influence then gender and age, unless you take a concentrated group of people who have had the same education and influence and then rate them compared to each other. It's interesting to try out and play with, but I wouldn't put any money on it.

That's why I posted it here in General Discussion rather than ConCrit.

I think it's safe to assume that as one grows older, writing ability tends to get better, but that's also because (most) people have more education as they age. A freshman undergrad student certainly wouldn't have as great of writing ability as a graduate student who's about to earn their doctorate in whatever field of study.

It could also depend on the field of study. A person who majored in something having to do with English/Literature/Journalism would certainly have a better grasp on writing than those who did not.

Thanks Aria, I agree with Jolie. Interesting, particularly my results,

I took the first four posts from my writing samples thread, one of which includes smut, and another which has me portraying a sadistic serial-killer, and here's what it came up with.

The first:

1. female (67.1. %)
2. male (32.9 %)

The second:

1. female (50.9. %)
2. male (49.1 %)

The Third

1. female (58.9. %)
2. male (41.1 %)

The fourth:

1. female (83.7. %)
2. male (16.3 %)

Last time I checked, I was male, but each has a preference towards female. Now, to try and figure out what means. Do I write more like a female writer, and should I take that as a compliment or an insult! Or is my style just markedly different from the majority of other males? Random chance (though only a small sample) says if the analyser was completely inaccurate I'd likely get at least one result from four with a male preference.

As for the age analyser

The first:

1. 65-100 (42.5 %)
2. 26-35 (17.3 %)
3. 18-25 (14.1 %)

The second:

1. 65-100 (55.0 %)
2. 51-65 (22.8 %)
3. 26-35 (6.9 %)

The Third:

1. 65-100 (48.8 %)
2. 26-35 (13.5 %)
3. 18-25 (10.4 %)

The fourth:

1. 13-17 (24.8 %)
2. 36-50 (19.6 %)
3. 65-100 (19.1 %)

As we all know, a lady (which I must be, judging from my first series of results!) never reveals her true age, so all I'll say is that I'm definitely not in the 65-100 age range, nor the 13-17. I will say in my defence, the latter was one of my very first posts on here!

In analyzing a couple posts from my most currently active RP...... XD

Gender ~
1) My most recent post:

1. female (83.4 %)
2. male (16.6 %)

Spot on!!! XD

2) My intro post:

1. female (79.6 %)
2. male (20.4 %)

Still spot on!!! lol! XD

Age ~
1) My most recent post:

1. 65-100 (32.7 %)
2. 51-65 (18.1 %)
3. 18-25 (14.1 %)
4. 26-35 (13.2 %)
5. 36-50 (12.9 %)
6. 13-17 (9.0 %)

Well, I'm certainly not 65+! @_@ haha!!!

2) My intro post:

1. 65-100 (45.4 %)
2. 51-65 (16.4 %)
3. 18-25 (15.0 %)
4. 26-35 (10.2 %)
5. 36-50 (7.6 %)
6. 13-17 (5.4 %)

I guess this thing wants me to be an old hag! >//////<

Findings ~ It definitely understands that I'm a girl, however, it persists that I'm an old hag and not my actual age. Perhaps I should invest in a cane and a rocking chair. Maybe I should build a porch and start sitting out there so I can chase off the whippersnappers. >///////<

Oh this is really interesting. I bookmarked these to use/see how any future results turn out later. I tested some old intros I did elsewhere. Here's what I got:

Intro #1:

1. female (60.8 %)
2. male (39.2 %)

1. 65-100 (35.6 %)
2. 51-65 (27.6 %)
3. 18-25 (10.4 %)

Intro #2:

1. female (64.1 %)
2. male (35.9 %)

1. 65-100 (42.4 %)
2. 13-17 (20.8 %)
3. 51-65 (12.4 %)

Intro #3:

1. female (85.0 %)
2. male (15.0 %)

1. 13-17 (28.1 %)
2. 18-25 (22.0 %)
3. 26-35 (15.2 %)

Intro #4:

1. female (65.9 %)
2. male (34.1 %)

1. 65-100 (46.6 %)
2. 51-65 (21.9 %)
3. 36-50 (9.0 %)

The fourth one was the most interesting because I actually played a male in that one. So ... I'm a very feminine guy? xD

Thanks for sharing these though.

Another gender analysis tool is this Gender Guesser. I get a more neutral reading on some of my posts (more like 60% female). It gives two estimates, one based on informal writing like emails and a second based on formal writing, which includes fiction. And this article, gives a little of theory behind the algorythms: Computer Program Detects Author Gender stating:

The program's success seems to confirm the stereotypical perception of differences in male and female language use. Crudely put, men talk more about objects, and women more about relationships.

Female writers use more pronouns (I, you, she, their, myself), say the program's developers, Moshe Koppel of Bar-Ilan University in Ramat Gan, Israel, and colleagues. Males prefer words that identify or determine nouns (a, the, that) and words that quantify them (one, two, more).

*shrug* I just think it's fun.

Well now...in analyzing those same exact posts utilizing this new analyzer:

post 1:
Total words: 828

COLUMN #1 ~
Genre: Informal
Female = 1318
Male = 1692
Difference = 374; 56.21%
Verdict: Weak MALE

Weak emphasis could indicate European.

COLUMN #2 ~
Genre: Formal
Female = 1195
Male = 1292
Difference = 97; 51.95%
Verdict: Weak MALE

Weak emphasis could indicate European.

post 2:
Total words: 1489

COLUMN #1 ~
Genre: Informal
Female = 1349
Male = 3299
Difference = 1950; 70.97%
Verdict: MALE

COLUMN #2 ~
Genre: Formal
Female = 1469
Male = 2718
Difference = 1249; 64.91%
Verdict: MALE

Findings ~ I...I'm perplexed! lol!

Okay, so here are my official results. I used a mix of posts both from and not from BMR.

Post 1: Not from BMR, no smut.
There were some things in this world that one couldn't unsee, and this man was one of them. Elli took a step back even before he unleashed the wispy black tendrils that encircled them, herding them together as if they were cattle, and she was suddenly aware of how afraid she was. Regret immediately hit her like a ton of bricks- why why why hadn't she just let Varrina kill the man when they entered the church? And those two dull black eyes... it was the sort of thing that appeared in low-budget horror films, an effect that she would usually laugh at because it just seemed so corny. But now? Those black eyes stared into her- no, burned into her- holding her gaze relentlessly as the mouth below spoke its words with such contempt that it was hard not to miss that the Guardian man obviously thought very little of them. Her mouth hung agape in an unvoiced scream as she stared back at him, unable to move her eyes away from the demonic gaze even though she wanted to. The moment drowned out everything else, including the muffled roar of water, until just the last minute when she turned around, eyes wide in surprise at the wall of water that came toward the group with such force that she knew it was very likely to be her cause of death.

Elli gripped Mal's arm just as the water hit her hard and strong, like she anticipated. But what she did not expect was the choking sensation that filled her lungs when the water ripped her away from the rest of her companions, causing her to panic as she realized that those people were all she had. She hadn't seen her own family in a little over two years since joining the cult, and their small group- as mismatched as it was- was like home. She scrunched her eyes tight and flailed her limbs hoping to rise to the surface and catch her breath, but the tumbling, angry liquid wouldn't allow for it. Just as she thought she was going to black out from the lack of oxygen, the water roughly deposited her body on the closest pew to the alter, slamming her backside against the solid wood. "Fucking shit," she tried to say, not caring for whatever dirty expletives she used, but the words came out as an ugly gargle instead while she coughed, racking her body in great heaves to empty itself of the water. Shakily, she attempted to stand and get her bearings, but another bout of heaving gripped her, this time ending with an unattractive vomit pile on the stone floor. Ew.

Two explosive sounds echoed throughout the building, sounds she recognized as gunshots, and she cowered behind the pew for just a moment, praying for the good Lord to grant all of them safety from the Guardian's unearthly powers. If there was any hope for them now, it would be by the grace of God. After all, it was his will to see the Guardians fall, and if they succeeded in bringing one of them down, it was still a victory for all of them- proof that they could bring all of them down. But with the way things were going now, it was easy to imagine them all dead, and that wouldn't do. No, it wouldn't do at all. Partially exposing herself from behind the pew, she, too pulled out her .22, undoing the safety and taking aim at the black-eyed monster who was conveniently feet from her, grateful for the distractions by David and Amis. "Breathe," she said quietly to herself, "1, 2, 3... release." She squeezed the trigger lightly, knowing that the first shot was probably all she would have time for.

Click. Fuck.

The gun jammed. Elli scowled, crouched down and angrily tossed the gun to the side, jumping slightly when she heard a third gunshot. Huh, maybe that's why her father told her never to drop a jammed gun... oops. In any case, the girl wasn't about to go down without a fight, and this was far from over. Looking around, she scanned the area around her for something, anything, she could use to bring down the demon before her. On her hands and knees, her fingers brushed something she hadn't noticed before: a broken metal crucifix, dull and tarnished with time, with a sharp, blade-like edge from where something had violently shredded the northern arm of the cross. Should she...? Yes, there was no question. This was a life or death choice, for all of them, and Elli was for damn sure that all of them would make it out alive.

"Forgive me, God," she sighed before putting her upper-body strength to use and throwing the crucifix directly at the Guardian, hoping her hand-eye coordination wouldn't fail her now.

Results (Gender):
1. female (56.4 %)
2. male (43.6 %)

Results (Age):
1. 65-100 (44.7 %)
2. 51-65 (20.7 %)
3. 13-17 (14.1 %)

Post 2: Not from BMR, no smut *This is the only roleplay in which I had written as a male character.
Aegar wasn't sure what to think of the enhancements made to his twin swords. He wasn't a big fan of using jeweled weaponry, as most jeweled weapons were made for beauty over practicality, but at least most of the blade was unaltered. He sheathed his weapons and groped around the back of his belt to find that his daggers had miraculously returned to their sheaths too, however those were unchanged. Once he’d made certain he was fully armed once more, he looked around at the other mages, who all appeared to have received a similar augmentation. One of the girls now even held an extraordinary staff that he was certain wasn't there before. Why would they all receive such a thing? Was there some kind of magic tied to the gems?

He shook the thought out of his head, figuring he’d get an answer sooner or later, and for the first time really inspected the five others. The first to catch his eye was the unmistakable stone-armor-clad figure. The stories about the mysterious Jade Fist reached far and wide, even all the way to Tenebra even though he had no business here. The stories were none the less diverse for it too. For all Aegar knew, he could be a slaver-fighting superhero, an anarchist intent on destroying the human nobility or an undead who kidnaps and sacrifices innocent children. Aegar had never truly believed the latter story, but then again he’d never even to Lucerna before, so who knows.

The second to catch his eye was the shortest of them all, so short he might’ve overlooked her if she wasn’t so blindingly beautiful. Black wavy hair and a flawless feminine face gave her an aura of beauty that even the succubi of Tenebra had trouble keeping up with. She might’ve been an exceptionally attractive elf, but more likely she was a Nymph. Aegar had never seen one in person, as they were said to rarely leave their homeland, but there are few men in all of Divus who hadn’t heard the stories. A sly smile crept across his face as he contemplated how his stay here might end up even better than anticipated.

Then his eyes landed on the human. He didn’t look too important at first sight. Pale, broad-shouldered and clad in chainmail and fur, could’ve been anyone. But that hammer looked far too valuable and royal, even without the newly added jewels, to belong to some lowborn hunter, and he didn’t seem like the thieving type. That marked him as some kind of noble. Aegar frowned upon the thought of having to work not only with a human, but with a noble one. Humans and demons, being of opposing elements after all, were notorious for clashing wherever they met.

The other two were less eye-catching, at least for now. The one near the volcano was probably a lycanthrope - considering the furry ears atop his head - and the other a shifter if her color pallet was any indicator. He had no beef with lycanthropes and shifters, having never been to the native continent of either, but that didn’t mean he wouldn’t keep an eye on them just in case.

Once he’d quietly followed the group through the portal, he was surprised, to say the least, with the surroundings they ended up in. Sunny and green, an environment so unlike Tenebra that it almost made him feel out of place being there. Aegar quietly went along with the group, not having swapped words with any of the other mages yet, as they were transferred from one guide to another, one who was almost unmistakably a vampire. The vampire, Evelynn, was slender, pale and rather attractive, but also rude and seemingly uninterested. He furrowed his brow in surprise when she spoke directly to him, unsure of whether he should feel threatened or aroused. Before he could think of a suitable reply, she was already gone, leaving the six Sages to explore their towers by themselves. Aegar had been assigned to the same tower as the Nymph, Calixta. For the first time in a long time he felt nervous, for he was to get along with someone he knew nothing about; even her race was unknown territory to him. He looked around to see the other mages fortunately caught up with each other, allowing him to split off from the group unnoticed and follow the Nymph through the door and up the spiraling staircase, still unsure of what he would say to her once they were both inside.

Results (Gender):
1. male (51.9 %)
2. female (48.1 %)

Results (Age):
1. 65-100 (57.2 %)
2. 51-65 (9.5 %)
2. 18-25 (9.5 %)

Post 3: From BMR, no smut

Results (Gender):
1. female (62.8 %)
2. male (37.2 %)

Results (Age):
1. 65-100 (53.9 %)
2. 13-17 (17.5 %)
3. 51-65 (9.3 %)

Post 4: From BMR, with smut

Results (Gender):
1. female (85.5 %)
2. male (14.5 %)

Results (Age):
1. 65-100 (27.5 %)
2. 51-65 (20.2 %)
3. 13-17 (14.8 %)

Post 5: From BMR, with smut

Results (Gender):
1. female (88.3 %)
2. male (11.7 %)

Results (Age):
1. 18-25 (29.0 %)
2. 26-35 (20.9 %)
3. 36-50 (16.9 %)

My results without smut were just weakly female, but when I started writing smut, it became extremely female. What I find interesting is that, in my two posts with smut, the age analyzer gave me one that was majority 65-100, and the other a majority of 18-25 (which is my actual age range). It wasn't consistent. I think it was because Post 4 came from a historical roleplay (1920s),and so the language used was much more romantic and 'tame.' Post 5 came from a contemporary roleplay, in which much more crude language was used. So the analyzer told me I was a female young adult/adolescent, which is pretty much true. Lel.

Back
Top Bottom