Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

School Rumble (Broom and I)

"Can we?" Masami said hopefully. "Please?"

"Why?" Komoku grumbled.

"Because he's my Dad," Masami murmured. "I...I don't know, I...thought it'd be nice for us to be together, like a family would be, Komoku. Even...even if he had his reasons for leaving us, I want to know him."

"...Alright, alright," Komoku relented, his expression softening with a heavy sigh. "Let's...get going to the Iron Wok, then." If his father broke Masami's heart, he would break his father's face.

Mei could only hope Manzen wouldn't greet his daughter the way he greeted Komoku. She decided to put on her coat, as it was starting to become less autumn and more winter. As much as she loved the cold, regulating her body temperature required energy if she wanted to be comfortable. It was extra work she didn't feel like doing.

She held Komoku's hand as they headed out. It was the only real way to let him know she was there for him silently.

It was times like these that made Manzen wish he understood people more, but that was simply not his life. His life was understanding the path of the warrior, the shine in someone's eyes, the tightness of their muscles. The smoothness of their motions, honorable combat. His son, he didn't...seem to be interested, really. Which is why he was currently sitting at the Iron Wok, tossing back a cup of Sake.

"I don't know what you were expecting" Emi said with a sigh. "That boy of yours has always been a little sharper than people give him credit for."

"He's so strong," Manzen smiled faintly. "Yet he looks at me with such disdain...I suppose I have not been the suitable father, but I had hoped that Master Rokujo was."

"He was, Manzen." Emi sighed. "But you can't just...ignore the fact that you and Satsu are perfectly fine out there while your children grew up. Nobody wants that."

"No...but I would like to know them, if they would let me." Manzen admitted, glancing up to Emi, who was staring at the doorway. He turned faintly in morbid curiosity, and sure enough...

--
It was uncanny, honestly. When Masami first walked through that door, she knew immediately who it was. His face...it reminded her instantly of Komoku. All sharp angles and...bestial, she supposed. But when it lightened up, it was like a wolf to a puppy. Manzen's eyes widened in surprise as Masami did little more than barrel through about six unfortunate people in her way and slam into Mazen in a crushing hug, so hard that the countertop for the bar cracked right where his back hit. He grunted faintly in surprise, hand on Masami's head.

"Masami..." he said in surprise, letting out a faint exhale. She looked almost exactly like her mother, so beautiful...and strong! He actually felt that one!

"...Let's get this over with," Komoku mumbled, hejading over with Mei. He...sometimes forgot just how strong Masami could be.

"It'll be alright, Komoku." Mei told him softly as she kept her hand on his. She was glad to see that Masami was so happy to see her father. Honestly Masami had always seemed so..lonely. Mei tried to talk to her as much as she could, but she was always so busy with work, she never properly got a chance. She had hoped Kitten was making for good company since they went to school together, but perhaps with Kitten dating Sejae, they didn't spent a lot of time together anymore either.

As the two approached Manzen, Mei gave him a smile and slightly bowed her head. "Manzen, neither Komoku nor Masami really know Japanese...so I came along to help them understand you, and the other way around if your English isn't too good. I hope that's alright with you." She said politely. She wondered if he even knew who she was, but this wasn't about her. Not at all.

"Ah, thank you very much," Manzen said politely, tilting his head. "English has never been my strong suit...your services are appreciated, Miss Wolfe. I am proud that my son found such a respectable, honorable woman." Komoku was still eyeing him like he was about to do something, but Masami made him decide otherwise as he sat down sourly and Masami joined him, eyes wide with wonder at their father. He was so...strong looking, like Komoku. His posture was so formal and proper, something she'd never imagine to see on Komoku. It was like staring at two sides of a mirror. Everything about Mazen screamed 'warrior', from how he sat to how his katana seemed to rest at his hip. A samurai, Masami supposed?

Mei smiled at him, a light blush coming across her cheeks. "It's my pleasure. Your son has been wonderful to me. I want to help in anyway I can." Mei then turned to Masami and Komoku. "Go ahead, guys. Ask what you want to know, don't be shy." He was much more polite than last night, at least.

"Why did you leave us?" Masami said bluntly, which was a...stark question in regards to how she was acting. "Komoku and I...I mean...did...did you not want us?"

Manzen shifted uncomfortably, but did not shift away from the gazes of his children. "I did," he assured. "But...your mother and I...we are not good people to be parents." he said. "And I tried, with Komoku, but it wasn't meant to be. Your mother...she didn't know what to do with you either, so I had you brought to Master Rokujo. You must understand, Masami...your mother and I are not people that can raise children."

"My ass," Komoku muttered bitterly. He didn't even remember him, how the fuck did he try? "So what, you dumped us off because you didn't want to be responsible?"

"No," Manzen frowned. "No, that had nothing to do with it. I wanted both of you to grow up in a home that could love you like you deserved...I...I mean, your mother and I...we couldn't."

"Is...is our Mom still alive?" Masami murmured hopefully.

"Yes...she is, she is in Turuga." he murmured. "...she is a woman of darkness. I do not know how the years have been on her regarding the two of you...but please, do not seek her out without me. I followed her here, in hopes of resolving things. I fear that we have more to resolve, knowing that our children are around. She is extremely dangerous."

Mei did believe Manzen was being genuine, but it was...a sad truth. Admitting you couldn't be a parent, what if they found that out when they had their child? It was even more disheartening to hear that his mother was dangerous. For him to warn them about her...what kind of person was she? She tried not to get too caught up in her thoughts while she translated for them.

Masami seemed disheartened to hear that, but Komoku looked increasingly indifferent. "Our...our mother is a bad person?" Masami said faintly.

"Are you surprised?" Komoku muttered. "Both of them left us alone, Masami...doesn't matter why, our fucking parents didn't want us."

Manzen didn't need to understand the words to know the intent.

"I imagine that Komoku is upset," Manzen said quietly. "And I know that nothing I will do will change that, but my abandonment was not something I did lightly. But traveling the world, fighting battles is no way for a child to grow up, but...I suppose Turuga did no worse."

Mei sighed and then looked over to Masami and Komoku. "I can only speak for Manzen when I say this, but it's not that he didn't want you two. He just knew that the life he lived wasn't suited for children. He left you with Auntie Rokujo so you could have semi normal, decent lives."

"Whatever," Komoku muttered. "Because that worked out so well, didn't it?"

"It's not his fault you fought so much," Masami muttered. "Stop being so grumpy for no reason, Komoku. He's trying to explain himself and you're just looking for a reason to hate him even more than you do now."

"Because he abandoned us!" Komoku growled. "I don't get why you care so much! What, was I not good enough growing up?"

"Komoku!" Masami snarled, lightning rippling across her body in warning as she spun on him, that shut the restaurant down. "Stop it!, what's your problem?! What do you have to be so miserable about over this!?"

"Me!?" Komoku spat. "Why the hell are you so happy? These people abandoned us, Masami! Their own goddamn children! Why the hell would I care about anything they have to say?"

"Komoku, stop it." Mei said simply. She understood where he was coming from, really she did. But that wasn't any excuse for him to ruin this for his sister. "You don't have to forgive them, but if you love Masami, you'll let her choose to have a relationship with Manzen. She's old enough to choose for herself."

Komoku grunted in annoyance, but said nothing, staring at the table like it was going to break. Manzen tilted his head a little in faint amusement, a smile tugging at the corners of his lips. Masami was relieved, honestly. She understood too, how much it had to hurt...but, did it hurt more to not have their parents? To not know them?

"I see our taste in women is similar," Manzen said dryly. "A strong spine is a strong woman indeed. His eyes are like mine, it's good that he has you to contain his urges.".

Mei blushed heavily at that statement, which she chose not to translate. It wasn't...untrue. However she did not feel it was appropriate to respond to. "S-so is there anything else you need to tell them? I mean, you haven't seen them for so long..." A subject change was best, she didn't even know how to respond to that!

"...What he'd say?" Masami said curiously, eyes alight with amusement. Komoku was seemingly indifferent, snorting like some dog who had gotten unhappy. "Mei! Come on! What'd he say!?"

Of course, Masami picked up on that. That look on her face, Mei couldn't help but answer her. "He said that he and Komoku have similar taste in women...strong willed. Someone to keep his...urges in control." Her voice was miserable, and she really hoped Komoku wouldn't take offense.

"Feh," Komoku grumbled, staring at the table in irritation. "Whatever, like he knows anything about women, or his kids."

"Oh stop it," Masami sighed. "Honestly, Komoku, if you're going to be such a grouch, go sit somewhere else. I'm tired of seeing you mope like some spoiled brat." she grumbled. "If you don't want to know him, fine, but I do. And he obviously wants to know us, so what's the harm?"

"Fine," Komoku huffed. "Ask him if he knows what a giant, heartless asshole he is, Mei."

"I don't think that's exactly what Masami meant, Komoku." Mei muttered before turning to face Manzen. How should she translate...or maybe she should just tell him exactly what Komoku said? "Manzen, Komoku wants to know if you understand how...he wants to know if you know that you're a heartless asshole." She needed to say exactly what Komoku would, it was important.

Manzen's eyebrows shot up a fraction at her remark, glancing at his sour faced son before smiling just a little, looking down at his drink. "Yes," he said ruefully. "By choice, I suppose. I would rather have my children raised by someone who knows how, and how to love them, than a man whose only love is fighting. That is no way to teach children, but it seems my son has taken after me regardless. He treats you well, I hope?" he asked Mei, at the end. "When I was first understanding my feelings...It was difficult," he admitted. "Even now, I don't know if I made the right choice. But I will accept what my choice has caused."

"Yes, he treats me very well. He's very loyal to me. It wasn't always like this, but we just kind of happened and...now we're here. I know he's angry and might not understand your decision now, but I think he will come around. You did the right thing, Manzen. Anyways, let me tell him what you said." As she told Komoku what his fathers answer was, she started wondering if this was bothering Komoku in another way. Did he think that his father being a bad parent would make him one too? Is that why he was so cranky?

Whatever the reaction, he barely let it show. But for Masami's sake, he shut up. So he glanced away, staring at the door like it'd solve all of his issues. Manzen smiled, albeit a little sadly, but took a long swig of his drink. Yes, more like him than he wanted...he could see the fury in his eyes, the way his posture was tightened like a predator ready to pounce. His son was undoubtedly an exceptional warrior without many peers. And his daughter, so strong, so fierce looking. Both of them healthy and happy, what more could he ask for?

"Could...you tell us more about our mother?" Masami asked hopefully as Manzen's expression shifted a moment, leaning back with a scratch of his scarred cheek. For once, he...actually looked quite embarrassed.

"She is...the most beautiful woman I have ever seen, and the most dangerous I have ever met." Manzen mused.

"Sounds familiar," Masami said dryly, glancing at her brother, who remained silent...if a little more embarrassed. "How did you meet her?"

"Here, in Turuga," he smiled. "Your mother and I...she was barely out of high school, I had arrived here on training from my master...she was a...stubborn opponent, and a unintentional one at that." he chuckled. "She was...cold, even back then. She feels that most people are below her, and getting into her good graces is not easy...she respects very few people, and even then, it would be hard to say who."

"So...how did you two end up having two kids?" Masami said curiously. Manzen, yet again, looked a little bit more embarrassed than the last time.

"I wish I could say there was a romantic story," Manzen grinned lazily. "But...we connected, in ways that didn't need a long romance, I suppose. I respected her, as a warrior. I sense she found me very attractive and it went from there...she was very angry with me," he recalled fondly. "But when we first held Komoku in our hands...we realized that we had done something wonderful, something we didn't deserve...your mother didn't take having children well." he admitted. "I believe she was suffering from post-partum depression, as a doctor said? She wanted nothing to do with either of you, and I wanted you to grow up in a place that loved you and accepted you."

For all her translating, Mei found it difficult to keep her voice neutral. She had to process and convey it all, and she could hear the sadness in Manzen's voice too. Maybe she was starting to get nervous, she felt sick all of a sudden. When her and Komoku had so casually decided to throw caution to the wind and have sex without contraceptives, did they truly know what they were doing? Would they look at their child and realize they had made a mistake? Before her thoughts could continue, she suddenly felt a wave of nausea hit her like a truck. She gagged and covered her mouth, another hand on her stomach. Shit, why now of all times?!

"...Mei?" Komoku said quickly, hand on her back. "Are you okay?" he said in concern, quickly sitting up. "Let's get you to the bathroom, alright? Come on," he urged. What the hell had gotten into her?

Mei couldn't really refuse, and all the smells of the restaurant suddenly became her worst enemy. She let Komoku help her to the bathroom, praying that she wouldn't vomit in the middle of a place where people came to eat. She had very small cases of morning sickness, but this was the first time it had struck in the middle of the day.

Thankfully she made it to the bathroom in time...barely. It wasn't her most elegant of moments, but she at least felt better afterwards. Well, she had sort of ruined that moment, hadn't she? She felt bad...

Komoku was there regardless, rubbing her back and keeping her hair out of her face. "Woo," Komoku smirked. "You know, I expected to do this for a drunk girl, Mei...you feelin' alright?"

Back
Top Bottom