Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Arcanist and the Assassin (MysteriousD and Ghastygoo)

The fan using spy found the poison began to disrupt her ability to focus. She yawned before she stumbled all around and she ended up collasping asleep. The old man look at her. Once she was back up onto her feet, the old man came at her. He spun around and his braided beard swung. Despite him missing because he overstepped, the braided beard showed off its power as it smashed a nearby pillar. He then looked before he adjusted his hat with a very long ponytail also.

The old man went at Faewlen using his dual braids along with the cane that he was carrying around with him.

"Diego, you sure do have some odd spies!" Faewlen said, not caring if she ended up somewhat hurting their feelings. They WERE odd in fact... Toys and even extensions of their own body, such as the older man was using. The only solution that came to the elf, unfortunately, was to get rid of the man's hair. She certainly could not risk a blow and she only hoped that her weapons were sharp enough. And if not them, her shadow blades. One way or the other she didn't want to upset him because hair took a long time to grow back, yet she didn't want to suffer severe injury or death just from this man's test.

Drawing her knife, she dodged his first few swipes and ducked underneath his body, having knocked his feet from under him and slid through the narrow space between him and the ground. Reaching up, she swiped at his beard with the dagger, managing to cut most of it. The ponytail however would not yield, and by this time, he had fallen and she was halfway across the room on the other side.

"They might be kinda weird, but they are awesome at what they do!" Diego responding to her. The old man became more intense when his beard was chopped off. He stood up with his cane and it was revealed to be a cane sword. He sprinted after her with pure speed and exchanged blows with the cane cover and blade, all while occasionally usng his ponytail to strike at the same time.

"Go Faewlen! You can beat em!" Diego cheered for his private guard to go and win. He had full support in her.

Faewlen obtained a few nicks and slices when the old man charged her suddenly, not realizing he could reach such speeds. Thankfully her new armor had considerably strong gauntlets that helped serve as small shields, in a rather unconventional fashion. Her dagger was still held in her right hand, which she now ignited with the shadow magic to make the blade seem that much sharper. This time she might even be able to cut his sword in half, not to mention his ponytail. Matching the geezer's ability and force, the elven assassin managed to parry his sword attack and leap over him, using her somersault to catch his hair and slice at if as well. She landed carefully and catlike on the ground a few yards away, her ears perking as she watched his sword and ponytail fall broken to the ground.

Prince Diego watched as the elderly asassin went down. With him going down, the spies decided to throw in the towel. They still had their job to do after all. The spymaster, recognized for having a golden mask with the symbol of the royal family. "It appears you certainly found a powerful protector, young sir," the elderly voice of the spymaster said. "Yeah, she's a wonderful person and guardian, grandmatriach spy," Prince Diego said The spymaster or rather spymistress chuckled before she granted Faewlen a pair of ornate daggers and a band that marked her part of the assassins here.

Prince Diego let a golden glow spread throughout the room to heal them. "So, you ready to go to the top to see the Kingdom?" he asked to Faewlen.

Faewlen sheathed her dagger and gratefully accepted the two given to her by the spymistress, smiling as she wrapped the small ornament to her shoulder and couldn't help but blush a little. It was the first time she'd ever been given something as a sign of rank besides just a title of sorts. She glanced over at the prince and nodded, feeling quite rejuvenated after the pulse of healing he sent through the room. "Yes, I can't wait to see it!"

Prince Diego smiled at them, happy to see Faewlen was smiling. Diego grabbed Faewlen's hand before he led her to the top of the tower. He had a big smile on his face as he stood up on the ledge. He covered her eyes until they were on top to show her. Looking around, the entirity of the Kingdom can be seen. It stretched across the horizons. While the capital city could be seen below, various other towns and cities could be seen along with strcutures like plains, volcanos, mountains, a sea, rivers and lakes and so much more. Ancient temples, farms, towns and all that wonderful stuff. It was a beautiful sight.

"What do you think?" he said to her as he looked at her. It was only an hour yet he felt himself growing close to the elven assassin.

As the elf had first begun to see sunlight once more, it was immediately blotted out by Diego's hand as he blinded her before they could reach the top. Even though she did not need his help to navigate without sight, she somehow instinctively grabbed onto him to get up the last few steps properly. The reached the top and Faewlen could feel the slight breeze tugging at her face and neck, her hair blowing lightly. It reminded her of home, of the days before everything had gone south... And finally he let her take in the view. The 360 degree coverage of the whole kingdom, not just the capital city, was beautiful. The sky was a bright eggshell blue, like the birds eggs she used to collect in the mornings... Her mouth was open in awe, before she realized and shut it after clearing her throat. "It's wonderful, Diego..."

"Yeah, it is... It's the kingdom my brother and I will take care of... You see, we will be the last of the royals. We have gradually going into more of a democratic republic," Prince Diego said before he saw a caravan. "Well, well, he returns," he said with a smirk. "Looks like my younger brother is back in town," Diego said.

"Want to go meet him?" he asked her as his had automatically went to hers.

Faewlen snapped from her sort of trance, still in awe of her surroundings. Her keen eyes picked up on the caravan shortly after Diego pointed it out, a small cloud of dust and several wagons well-guarded by mounted knights and likely a few mages too. She'd never known that the kingdom was soon becoming a republic. Not once in her life had she heard of a monarchy or patriarchy dissolving into a republic. But if this land was more oriented to the people's concerns, it would make perfect sense. The sudden feeling of warmth on her hand forced her eyes from the scenery to the man beside her, nodding but quickly grabbing onto his arm so they could not leave just yet. "Can we stay a moment more up here, my prince?"

Diego blushed when Faewlen grabbed his arm. He smiled and nodded as he had his hand wrapped in hers before leaning into her. "Yeah, I'd like that," he said to her, smile evident on his face. His younger brother could wait. Even from ehre, he could see the caravan of the people his brother has befriended. His frequent travelers allowed his brother to have a better relationship with his parents though Diego recalled his relationship with his brother was complicated at times.

"What do you think of this kingdom becoming a democratic republic?" he asked her.

Faewlen's ears had lowered to a relaxed and even embarrassed state, looking much like an innocent animal now with her large green eyes and her brunette hair being tugged by the gentle wind. A blush of her own spread over her cheeks, her smooth skin now light red in some parts. "I think it's not such a bad idea. Though if my kingdom or the others do truly wish to go to war with yours, then sometimes an absolute monarch is needed. A democracy can become a bunch of fighting if the delegates are not chosen properly." Every word was said quietly, the elf leaning against Diego in turn and silently wondering if anything would blossom between the two.

Diego looked and smiled at her. It was surprising to see how she innoncent she looked now compared to how she was when they first met. Beneath that intense angry stare from before was someone who lost their innocence and saw the evil of the world. His blush now matched hers as he listened to what she said.

"I know. It's why I listened to the various rulers of the smaller domains. Some have war chiefs or elders assigned to be commanders, many old warriors, so perhaps something like that. An elected official proven by competancy. All else fails, there could always be that Orb of Truth that's hidden," Diego said as he couldn't help but put an arm around Faelwen.

"I'm really happy that you've become my bodyguard," he said to her with a smile.

"I'm happy, too... I would've been killed back there had you not healed me from the arrow...or I would've lost an arm trying to survive it. And who knows, I was going down a very dark path at the time. A lot worse could have happened. Perhaps now, my dreams will stop haunting me with all the evil I've committed. It's like a new life." She glanced up at Diego. He was only a little taller than she was, actually. Her stature as an elf was of course a little more taller and slender than normal human women. It was also a reason why more slaves used for lords or harems were mostly elven. They possessed a beauty many humans could not reach. Faewlen found the more she stared up at him, the more she was falling for him. And falling quite hard.

"If your dreams continue to hurt ya... I will help you through it all," Diego looked over to Faewlen as he enjoyed simply being with her. It wasn't just her bueaty and her skills that drew him in, but her presence just reassured him. Time will tell though... but he was falling for her just as hard. He felt the wind adjust and he turned around, still holding Faewlen's hand. There was a well-dressed figure standing there. He resembled Diego somewhat, but mildly shorter. He was tan with black curly hair and a handsomely roguish smile on him.

He had a chraismatic air to him, suave, cool and slick compared to the dorky and eccentric style Diego had. He was dressed in a sharp rogue-like outfit. Careful magic users would see Diego's magic aura flaring slightly gold with the stranger's flaring silver. Diego let go of Faewlen and approachd the younger man. He then hugged him. The younger man twitched slightly before rolling his eyes slightly, but smiling nonetheless and returning the hug.

"Sup buddy?"

"Nice to see ya too. Faewlen, please come over here. This is my younger brother, expert adevnturer, reliable connected individual and wielder of the rare synchronicity magic, Sebastian. Sebas, this is my new personal bodyfriend and friend, Faewlen," Diego said.

Faewlen certainly hadn't been watching the caravan any further, so she was surprised when she felt another presence appear behind them. Silently, she was cursing herself for not having noticed earlier. If it had been an enemy, they'd both be dead. And it was her job now to protect him... She stood, hearing Diego speak familiarly with the stranger, and gave him a careful look over. He seemed to be possessed of a much more carefree and sure nature as a contrast to his older brother, and much more handsome. The elf blushed slightly and lowered her ears as well as bowing her head, bending at the waist in a full bow. "It is a pleasure to meet you, sir.." She wasn't sure if she was to call him by formality or not, since Diego seemed to dislike such treatment.

Straightening once more, she approached them both and stood even alongside Diego, giving him a faint smile. "Your brother saved my life just earlier today after I admittedly failed on an attempt to take his. His kindness is unlike anything I have ever seen, and if your parents wish me to face a court of some kind, I will... So long as I get to be his bodyguard still, I will not protest to any punishment they give me."

"Just call me..." "Just call him Sebastian," Diego cut off his brother from stroking his ego again. Sebastian just gave him a look before he shrugged his shoulders. He then grabbed Diego. "Come on, I wanna talk to ya," he said, dragging Diego to his room. When Faewlen followed, there was some talking, or rather just Sebastian talking. Diego kept syaing something every now and then. Things like his latest midadventure, or newest skill or friend before it happened.

Gifts were mentioned.

The talk began going south from there as Sebastian called on Diego not always using everything he got from mom and dad. Diego called him out on it before Sebastian said he earned his own stuff. A bttle of opinions got over it befoe eventually Diego left and did Sebastian.

Diego took a breath when he saw Faewlen again

Faewlen didn't have time to get adjusted to this new character, another young man of royalty; the second she'd met in just over a day's time. It was striking her still how she'd somehow been sucked into all of this, suddenly going from a street urchin turned hired assassin to bodyguard for the future leader of a kingdom. She hurried along behind the pair, only catching snippets of conversations when one or both of their voices grew heated. She could tell there was either some kind of argument or excitement going on, but she wasn't quite sure which and didn't feel like being rude and intervening. Once the trio had reached what appeared to be Diego's or Sebastian's room, she was forced to wait outside the door; the elf stood there quietly and shifting uneasily from foot to foot. It just seemed like an uncomfortable situation.

Once Diego returned, she stepped forward and greeted him cautiously. After a moment of internal debate, she asked, "...what was that about?"

Diego looked at Faewlen before he hugged her tight. He needed this. After what seemed like a long while, he let go. His face was a mix of annoyance, regret, sadness and anger. "My brother and I... sometimes we don't see eye to eye. I'm closer to my parents... I was born the smart one.. but I wasm't good with people. My brother was born with charisma and strength... he eventually left our folks after fights over his bad grades and nonchalanet attitude in the Arcane Universities. Me, I did really good in them and paid with scholarship, no need to go into the coiffers." Diego said as he looked down.

"Two sides of the same coin.. my brother and I... Of course, he says I don't do anything. Never earned anything because our folks gave it to me for my high grades. I got on his case because he's often a self-serving, self-centered guy with a silver tongue, too much good luck and whatever things I can say about him. It hurts though... saying my accomplishments don't matter... getting my doubts jabbed at," he says as he looks down, looking tired and vulnerable.

Faewlen's ears lowered, her eyes narrowing. She never had siblings, never had known her family. She didn't understand this sibling rivalry and jealousy, but a low growl had begun emanating from her throat. "I know I shouldn't wish to hurt him, my liege, but if you need me to persuade him to stop harassing you, I will. He may seem like the cool one but they always end up the jerks. The smart and the proper will always rule. In the end, at least..." She glanced in the direction of Sebastian's retreating figure, her gaze like fire in his direction. Eventually she turned to the prince, gently pulling him close and stroking his hair gently. "It will all be well, my prince. Your parents are proud of you and I owe you my life."

Her green eyes connected on his, still stroking his back and hair.

Diego served the embrace as he looked at her green eyes with brown eyes. Hearing such caring words from her made his heart flutter and his eyes were filling with warmth once more. "You don't need to worry. My brother and I have a complicated relationship. I was not the best older brother and I neglected him back during my bitter pre-teen years," Diego chuckled mirthlessly before he sighed. "Do not underestimate my brother however. He is very quick-witted and clever. While traditional magic has neither been our fortes, he has supplemented his unique magic with skills he learned from various rogues, warriors and the like," he said.

"In some ways, we are the same. We both are overcaring. I recall him being contacted by his friends in the very early hours needing someone to talk to when they are at the depths of despair. He enjoys and savors his friends deeply, I just wish he could be more patient with our parents. I suppose humility toward them was in low amounts as he saw everyone as equals and is still is quite the rebellious one," he said, looking at his brother retreating.

"Thank you for the kind words, Faewlen. They mean alot," he said as he reembraced her. He smiled at her as his heart swelled with warmth. "Where do you wish to tour now?" he asked her.

Faewlen listened to his words closely and nodded in a show that she was paying attention. It certainly cleared up a few facts. "Well, again, I am not concerned about how powerful he is. The likelihood of a fight is slim, and if there is one, I would perhaps be sentenced to some sort of punishment for attacking a member of the royal family, no?" She grinned and laughed quietly, her ears perking up once more. Her green eyes were full of mischief but familiarity as well.

"Ah...I fear I have nowhere else I wish to see, and we've been touring for a few hours. Unless if I may speak with the king and queen, your parents, I wish to retire for tonight. As you can tell, a lot has happened in the past twenty four hours that my brain is still processing. I may be your typical knowledgable elf, but my life was spent in squalor and secrecy. I would be a disgrace to much more learned elves." She still seemed happy, and wasn't really insulting herself. Diego's renewed hug warmed her both emotionally and physically. She was finding his hugs to become her favorite thing.

"Yeah, and considering my brother's good luck magic, he probably can't be beaten by normal magic. Only my father's logic-based sorcery and my own miracle magic seem to be a match. In fact, mine and his may be conencted my magic is gold and his is silver. Though he calls it platinum," Diego says as he crossed his arms and laughed as well. Her green eyes intrigued him ince more.

"I like you just the way youare and I would be happy to teach you some stuff if you want me to," he said to her with a smile. "Would you like to meet my parents now, or wait a bit at first?" he asked her

The elf blushed rather badly at his saying he liked her the way she was. It rather humbled Faewlen to be receiving this kind of compliment from royalty, and no less. Her ears twitched slightly as she thought, crossing her arms. "I think I'd actually rather see them later... Would you mind if I accompany you to your chambers, if you plan on retiring? It is nearing evening now, and we've both had a long day. Some rest is rather warranted." She seemed distracted almost, or anxious. And she was sticking rather close to the prince, almost as if attached from the hip. But many would write this off as simply her tendencies as the young man's guard now. She sighed, starting to walk towards the chambers, having memorized the way. Both of their quarters were down the same hall and not too far from each other, so even if he wasn't ready to sleep, she certainly was.

"All right then. I will introduct you to them tomorrow then," Diego said to her. He felt safe around her, comfortable around her. Her beautiful eyes... those long elegant ears... everything about her made him smile. Diego grabbed her hand and kissed impulsively. He then walked to a dining area.

"How about we have some dinner before we go to bed?" he asked her with a smile

Back
Top Bottom