Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Deep Cover - Gang themed RP discussion.

Dameon

Star
Our RP seems to have gotten quite a few views, and that makes me feel more then a little fuzzy. I'm glad so many people are enjoying it, especially since it's my first RP on the board, but I'm sure it's, in no small part, due to the fact that I managed to luck across such a great partner.

I wonder if anyone has any comments on the story so far? If they'd be interested in reading it if it went long term? I think we plan for it to have an extended storyline, not all smut either, of course.

I'm also curious if people like the characters. I sort of grafted my own personality onto my character, even used my own middle name, and just buffed it up to be more experienced, more confident, all those sorts of things. Also, I enjoyed the character images we chose to use, and that's a feature I love to do in RP, is link to little features of the characters, or the props we use, to help add to the settings.

I do, obviously. I'd like to know what it is about my RP that made us get over 245 views, when other threads of same size get about 100.

Call me curious. Plus I like to get helpful criticism.

Dameon said:
I do, obviously. I'd like to know what it is about my RP that made us get over 245 views, when other threads of same size get about 100.

Call me curious. Plus I like to get helpful criticism.
I meant besides you.

Dameon said:
I'm also curious if people like the characters. I sort of grafted my own personality onto my character, even used my own middle name, and just buffed it up to be more experienced, more confident, all those sorts of things.
So basically a sue character? You do realize people look at shitty rps and laugh at them right? It might not be the praise you think.

Ilovegoatse said:
Dameon said:
I'm also curious if people like the characters. I sort of grafted my own personality onto my character, even used my own middle name, and just buffed it up to be more experienced, more confident, all those sorts of things.
So basically a sue character? You do realize people look at shitty rps and laugh at them right? It might not be the praise you think.

Well, see, thing about that is that I'm not exactly an awesome starting point, so I wouldn't call it a Sue.

As for it being a shitty RP, as long as people give me like...useful critiques, they're welcome to their opinions.

As for checking it a lot, I use 'View your posts', so I don't think that's it.

It's not really that many views...

And this really isn't the place to ask for comments on your writing either. Even if you mean well it could come off as sounding arrogant.

I asked in the questions thread, an admin told me to post here. So..uh...I mean, I thought I posted in the right spot.

As for coming off arrogant, yeah, I guess I did. :X

Hmm... I see...

If people like your writing they'll send a PM, or you could add a small note in the RP itself, I suppose.

I was just wondering if it's good or not, because I get compliments from people I RP with, but I'm never quite sure if those are 100% honest.

Dameon said:
Ilovegoatse said:
Dameon said:

Well, see, thing about that is that I'm not exactly an awesome starting point, so I wouldn't call it a Sue.

As for it being a shitty RP, as long as people give me like...useful critiques, they're welcome to their opinions.

As for checking it a lot, I use 'View your posts', so I don't think that's it.

That sounds roughly like the ingredients for a sue. Self insert + improvement is usually a bad sign.

Kawamura said:
That sounds roughly like the ingredients for a sue. Self insert + improvement is usually a bad sign.

It's not me, so much as I'm having a semi-similar personality. Like reactions to situations. Certain opinions.

I'm not saying like...he had the same life. Really, the only similarities in experiences that I and my character have had are experiences that probably 90% of the world has had. Nothing key.

Possibly not a self-insert then. I don't know where the line between self insert and surrogate is. All I know is that as soon as you start putting in characters you identify with and then make them more confident, more experienced, you start getting Sues.

*shrugs*

Your's might or might not be. I don't know that I have the interest in reading.

Kawamura said:
Possibly not a self-insert then. I don't know where the line between self insert and surrogate is. All I know is that as soon as you start putting in characters you identify with and then make them more confident, more experienced, you start getting Sues.

*shrugs*

Well, even if you read, wouldn't you have to know me personally to know if it was a Gary Sue?

Dameon said:
Kawamura said:

*shrugs*

Well, even if you read, wouldn't you have to know me personally to know if it was a Gary Sue?

People tend to get defensive about themselves, they exaggerate skills they feel they excel in, and minimize faults. The problem with making an "Improved self insert" is that it becomes a beefed up version of yourself, and very often loses its believability.

kikora said:
People tend to get defensive about themselves, they exaggerate skills they feel they excel in, and minimize faults. The problem with making an "Improved self insert" is that it becomes a beefed up version of yourself, and very often loses its believability.

Well, I'm enjoying this semi-realistic roleplay I'm in the midst of, so I don't think I'm going to blow it out of the water with super skills.

Seraph Nicholas said:
You just EXACTLY defined a sue, and you should really re-evaluate your writing 'skill'

So, making a character that has similar responses to situations as I would if I were them, mostly normal ones like not liking certain foods, or thinking Soda is really bad for you, (and I'm not like them because they're in a life style I'd never end up in and have had a few key experiences I've never done which really do have important roles to play in their characters and how they feel about the world) and has had the same life experiences as 90% of the world's population is a Sue?

Seriously?

I'm not trying to be defensive, just trying to clarify what I assume was a previously misinterpreted post.

I hope that explains, in a bit more detail, about what I said about the character being like me. I think Soda ruins your stomach, so does he, I hate Pimentos, so does he, I like Camaros, so does he, I like certain fetishes, so does he (this one is probably truel f0r 99% of people's characters on this board). That's really about it. I don't drink, I don't smoke pot and I sure as hell don't know how to use a rifle with a scope or a glock. I've shot one 9 mm in my life at a shooting range. XD

As for my writing skills, do you mean based on that, or based on the RP? Because if it's based on the RP, I'd be willing to take some specifics. I'd like to do writing as a minor, so I need to know.

Dameon said:
kikora said:

Well, I'm enjoying this semi-realistic roleplay I'm in the midst of, so I don't think I'm going to blow it out of the water with super skills.
Hey, don't get defensive with me I was just being reasonable and explaining why people might think your character is a sue.

But, ignoring other people's criticism and getting an attitude towards different points of view besides your own is classic of a Sue writer.

Now what I said wasn't that you'd give your character the ability to fly, just that you seem overly attached to your character, overly proud of your writing skill... Which I wasn't fond of anyway, honestly it removes a lot of artistry. While I saw what you were TRYING to do, what it ended up feeling like is you're being read to by a teenager who feels the need to add in his commentary every few sentences. It throws off the feel of your posts, and rather than adding personality it feels as if someone is bored and reading the story in the most uninteresting way possible.

All of which leads me to the assumption that if you were to create a character it'd be a "Perfect" version of yourself. After all, you've displayed no desire to actually improve, any doubts someone has towards your story writing abilities is met with a dose of hostility more than anything else. This entire thread seems more like an attempt to have people shower you with praise, and you seem surprised that has backfired ((Though I'll ask you to look around, how many users do you see posting links to their RPs openly asking people to read them? If you want your writing reviewed take it to storytelling.))

Now, all of that said... Why should I believe that you can do in writing what you don't seem to be able to do here in the group? If you're going to make a self insert you have to understand your strengths and weaknesses, and follow along with that. It takes a level of detachment, not just throwing in a random like or dislike here and there.

Back
Top Bottom