Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Astra's lost heir

Status
Not open for further replies.
While Aaron and the Alchemist joked about Kendov looking scary, he decided to play along by doing intimidating gestures like cracking his knuckles or punching the palm of his hand like some cartoon character of a thug. He kept up this act until Ardreth started to mention that he was starving and wanted to get some food before leaving. Acting before Aaron could answer; Kendov tossed his half eaten ration pack at the alchemist aiming for the center of his chest. “There, that should tide you over for a while,” Kendov said in a somewhat annoyed tone. He did not give Ardreth the rations out of kindness, but instead it was because he didn’t want to waste time going back into town. He was anxious because he knew that it would be very difficult for them to make it to the next town by nightfall even if they went at his own pace. Going at this group’s pace, they’d be lucky to make it three quarters of the way and if interruptions were this common place, they wouldn’t even make it half way.

Looking over at Aaron, Kendov added some assurance, “That should be satisfactory right? If we need more food tonight, we could try our luck at hunting after we set up camp. You look like you’d be a competent hunter.”

Out side of the inn near the city's main road a knight clad in pitch black armor intimidating sat, leaning on a raised fist while watching the early morning rabbles of town. S/he was a common sight either in the bar or around the inn, always a striking figure. The Death Knights mere presents normally up held the peace with out the need of guards in the area. For who would be foolish enough to act up while a honorable villain sat near with sword in hand?

Oh course most who lived in the town knew better, Alistair was a force of pure destruction to be feared for sure, but s/he also was a honorable warrior and sellsword, always looking for hire to honorable goals. This morning was no different, the knight was growing weary of stagnant air, food, and drink. S/he needed something to kill, something to fight, something to travel for. With that goal in mind a rumor from the bar last night had Alistair watching for a band of mercenaries.

And as if on que a band of misfits came down from the castle, Alistair watched and listen trying to catch who they were. Besides armed there wasn't a lot to go on. A stoke of luck had them run into a dirty and raggedy man, terrified he ran away and was immediately stopped by... a root? What a sad way to die. The armored man, a knight perhaps, pulled a knife on the foolish man ready to slit his throat while whispering, dealing perhaps? S/he couldn't hear what was said, not even a Death Knight senses were that keen. But when the man, a Alchemist it seemed joined the group Alistair smirked a bit. This was definitely the group rumored about.

Alistair stood up and grabbed the one handed black blade and giant ebony and ivory skull shield that had rested near by before walking out to the group. S/he was clad from neck to toe in bolsters black armor with gold detail, smooth and rounded in design to glance off blades, all mounted on black chain mail under armor with black silken cloth to help hide leg movement but not impede it. A fortress of defense s/he strided with confidences but not arrogance to the group ignoring all else, wasting no time to call out to them with a voice that was low and full of grit, yet still held feminine traces with in it while being full, commanding, and direct, "So, rumors were true. Someone has been putting together a group of armed individuals. What ever is going on, I want in."

Aaron didn't get an answer from Morgan. Maybe she was mad at him for not knowing her name. The silence was killing him, until Ardreth asked if they had any food. Crap. He did but...

Before he could answer Kendov threw him his rations. Something he didn't really expect, but obviously since he ate such a large portion this morning he didn't care about actually rationing the rations...or whatever. When said he would make a good hunter, Aaron scratched the back of his head as they reached the limits of the city. "I guess so..but...what a pain."

After that answer, he heard someone...someone. "Hey, if you want in fine, but you better be prepared because we're already running late thanks to Ardreth." Aaron didn't really care how much muscle he had. Honestly he would have just been fine with Kendov, but having a girl along for the ride was great. Then...there was the alchemist who he planned on messing with since he had 'saved his life'. Aaron knew that he would come in handy.

But when he glanced back and saw the one who claimed they wanted in, he nearly stopped in his tracks. Almost. "Oh...so what is your name? I guess I should at least know that..." Aaron was obviously trying to discern what gender this newcomer was. The voice really wasn't a help...it was just as androgynous as their appearance.

Alistiar's eyes searched the man who spoke up first, red hair and green eyes, that was a rare combination. He also nearly stopped in his tracks upon glancing back, nearly, that took a good deal of nerve to do. Most either stumbled over their own feet or ran away soon as they remembered having legs. S/he didn't waste any time to press forward though, catching stride with the group and matching their pace, "Your the leader I take it? And call me what ever you will, I don't care. Only thing I'm concerned with is what you need doing, how long it'll take, and how much you'll pay me to do it."

In the mind of the Death Knight that was all that mattered, once s/he had that knowledge a contract could be agreed upon and a oath sworn. Then no matter what happened the Death Knight code would be appeased in case the mission and her code came to a conflict of interest. If said contract wasn't made, then there would be no telling what misery could happen in the future. That little thought in mind Alistair glanced towards the rest of the party knowingly, then turned back to Aaron. A Alchemist that tripped over roots in panic, not very impressive after that display. A woman dressed in black leather with a odd polearm weapon, dainty but most likely light on her feet. A larger man with rusty hair, Alistair spotted a quiver on his back, and two hand and half swords at his waist, the man as a whole was wrapped in fur and looked the most competent out of the group, the only real threat as well. A Death Knight respected that.

Lightning sighed. Even though Avery was the easiest to deal with, he seemed like he didn't know what was going on. At all. With anything. She looked at Jin and saw that he seemed to be enjoying their conversation. He was probably enjoying it more than her. She rolled her eyes as he pondered about how to find shelter in the wilderness. Granted, she hadn't really been one to go out on missions like this, but what could she do?

"The bandits..well I know they come from both of our countries. They are run of the mill, ax wielding heathens. Well, some have different weapons, but it's mostly just axes. Usually." She began as ran her fingers through her tangled, messy hair. "Though bandits aren't the only thing we need to worry about. Just like I hired all of you, Wyndia will most like have their own mercenaries to disrupt the trading route."

Ardreth barely had time to register the half-eaten ration pack as it was flung at him, barely having time to catch it before it dropped to the ground and all its contents fell out. “Thanks. I’ll pay you back whenever I can.” He said in reply, taking out some bread and munching on it. He didn’t care how it tasted, as for a man who had been staring for long hours anything would taste good. He said nothing as Kendov began to speak with Aaron, merely following behind and shrugging apologetically when he was the reason for the delay.

Yet there was no end to the delays either. Another individual, a large figure in pitch black armor, showed up. Had he stumbled into a recruiting grounds or something? It seemed there was something major going on if fighters of this caliber were assembling. Ardreth merely shrugged as he chewed quietly, not really caring for shiny armor and flashy swords. He was along to offer his healing services and potions, not to participate in contests of physical prowess. He did have a few other tricks up his sleeve, like exploding balls that would send small pieces of vicious metal everywhere. Best save those secrets to himself for now. “How much are we getting paid?” He asked after Aaron had finished speaking, swallowing his food.

Aaron frowned. Wasn't even going to tell him their name? He took a deep breath and exhaled. Oh, now the alchemist wanted pay? "Hold on, Ardreth. I already paid you buy not killing you. You're not grateful for that?" Aaron just gave him a grin before turning to the walking plate of armor. Would they be offended if he called them 'it'? Seriously, no matter how much he stared at them he just couldn't discern a gender. It was already bothering him!

"Well, the pay is fifty gold pieces and the job is making sure I stay alive the entire trip." He told them both casually as he attempted to get his mind off the trivial things. "I suppose I could still pay you Ardreth. I am just hurt that my saving of your life wasn't good enough for you..."

Ardreth was momentarily stunned by Aaron’s response. Was he a captive on this trip then? Perhaps he should take the first attempt at escape that popped up. But it soon became apparent that Aaron wasn’t serious, or at least jesting in kind. He offered a smile in return and shrugged at his comment about saving his life. “If the objective it to keep you alive, I think I’ll be more useful than the rest of these chaps. I’m an expert in keeping people alive. As for saving my life, I’m sure the favor will be returned many times over, don’t you think? Then the pay becomes justified after.” Ardreth replied confidently, before resuming his munching of rations.

Before they could even get going, a new face inquired about joining the group. This new person was a man, maybe, clad in dark steel plate adorned with skulls and golden accents. The armor looked as fancy as it was unsettling. The person behind the armor was just as unsettling. Aside from the masculine shaped head with more feminine features, those cold eyes seemed to be sizing everyone up in the group. Knights, with their preachy codes of conduct and moral values always rubbed Kendov the wrong way. This knight, however, made him uneasy for different reasons. There was something malicious about their presence and they seemed quite strong. That level of strength only made Kendov itch with a desire to fight them.

For the first few moments while the others talked about pay and introduced themselves, Kendov did some day dreaming. He fantasized about fighting and defeating the newcomer which is great entertainment for a blood thirsty warrior like himself. After playing through several fictitious and dramatic battle scenarios in his head, he realized that he should probably get back to reality. Since the party had doubled in size before they even left town, Kendov knew it was going to be slow goings from now on. Especially with the new knight that was weighed down by all that steel plate. Butting into the conversation, Kendov asked Aaron, “So how far do you think we will get tonight?” Hopefully they could finally get a move on now.

Morgan shook her head at the hold ordeal. From the meager attempt to disappear the Alchemist made to the new comer appearing out of no where. When the man had dropped the smoke bomb and tried to run, Morgan stepped sideways to let him. He had no loot on him, that was for sure so what was the reason to letting him stay. That failed the moment he stepped at fell on his face. Aaron got a hold on the man and after a few minutes of threats and persuasion They had a new member. Kendov seemed to have the right idea in leaving. They were wasting precious time.

As they were introduced Aaron stopped for a moment. She turned back to face him just as he asked her name. A small smile came to her face. She didn't answer. Wouldn't answer. There was no reason for him to know, she hadn't meant not to tell him her name but perhaps it was best her didn't know. Instead she smiled then turned to start on up the road before being halted by yet another person wanting in on the offer. Sighing she waited anxiously. She found herself fiddling with a small knife, waiting on the others to be ready to leave.

"50 gold pieces to keep you alive? I've killed for less... so what makes your life so valuable?" now that Alistair was looking this man over s/he was starting to pick up on a few oddities for a man with so much coin. Why wasn't he dressed warmer? Was he from some far away land? If so why hadn't he bought warmer cloths once he arrived here? He planned to pay three to four sell swords 50 gold a head, that much gold meant he had to be a noble. Or be working for one at least. Or he was lying. Alistair would be forced to terrible things to this man if that was the case.

The Death Knight looked back their shoulder as a familer sensation washed over, blood lust. The man covered in fur was itching for a fight, Alistair could relate. Once this was all said and done s/he was sure they'd have the chance to test one another. Till then for what Aaron was paying, the Death Knight was sure enough trouble would be brood to soak both warrior's blood lust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom