Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

IM-based Storytelling [LF F]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm newly arrived to the site, and figure that the best way to find something I like is to... actively look for it. I normally lurk in the Systems section of the board, but... well. I'm not really finding what I want.

Who am I looking for?
To my mind, there are three virtues for online RP: politeness, elegance, and articulatene... articulari... bein' able to talk proper. I'm not a grammar nazi (at least not yet), but syntax is sexy. The player(s) I'd be after should therefore be literate, but we won't necessarily write literature. I don't mind typos, and am indeed guilty of making more than one or two myself.

What am I looking for?
What I would like would be someone to ArrPee with via IM. The rest of this paragraph is going to be a bit cliche to anyone who has browsed this forum, but I'll try and use different imagery. To my mind, it's kind of like cookery. The E is like hot-sauce or spices; sure, it makes things more interesting, but I wouldn't want to live on a constant diet of the stuff. As one wise and witty friend put it, I'm a human being rather than sex-robot. I'd hope that you're the same.

I'd rather do one-on-one, because getting a group of online gamers together for anything is like trying to herd greased weasels.

What can I offer?
I roleplay because I like telling, hearing, and sharing stories. If I wanted to passively sit back and be a passenger, along for someone else's ride, I'd go read a book (literotica is also quite good). I prefer what you might call 'system' games to free-form (but that doesn't mean I don't do freeform).

I generally prefer system-based games. A system will usually give the player some idea of how good, or how powerful they are. It also gives a way of resolving combat, danger, or other kinds of peril that's transparent and (more or less fair). I've GMed or played a huge variety of games, and so I'm probably at least familiar with anything you'd want to play. Certain favourites spring to mind - Cyberpunk 2020, 7th Sea, and the old World of Darkness. But despite all of that, I think that story is more important than rules. Rules either advance the story, or they get in the way.

For freeform games, I'm still happy to stick in the "GM-role" - that is playing the world whilst you play your character.

What genres do I like?
I'm a fan of most genres and settings, but have a certain fondness for:
⦁Low Fantasy (think Game of Thrones or Dark Ages: Vampire, rather than Forgotten Realms D&D)
⦁Swashbucklery (musketeers, pirates, corsetry!)
⦁Cyberpunk and near-future
⦁Space Opera (from Star Trek to Star Wars, by way of Mass Effect)
⦁Grimdark (Warhammer 40k, and Fantasy RP, I'm looking at you two here)
⦁Post-Apocalypse (Rifts!)
⦁old World of Darkness

What stories would I particularly want to tell?
In general, come to me with the idea of the kind of game you'd like to play. I get distinctly cold when people present a character to me and suggest that I run something for them. To my mind, an adventure is a story, world, and character that mutually create each other.
-Post-Apocalypse
-Cyberpunk
-Swashbucklering heroism
-Gothic Horror

What games would I rather not run?
Pathfinder and D&D aren't my first choice, as I'm not a fan of games based on classes or levels. No-one has been able to tell me what my class or level is, and my ideas tend to fall outside of the confines of classes offered in D&D and Pathfinder.

What about the E- stuff you mentioned earlier?
It is, I realise, entirely unhelpful to say "I'm open minded"... but... well... I am! I made the mistake in the past of saying that I'd try anything, and that resulted in character wanting to snort spice from the head of a shaved Ewok. I find the listing of kinks like shopping lists to be... off-putting. I am more than a collection of kinks, lusts, and depravities (I hope). But then this advert is kind of pointless without. It's probably easier to list the things that I do not want:

The only complete and utter red-line definite no-no I have relates to under-age. Not only are they unlikely to have decent cleavage, but it's just... not needed.

The "I'd rather not" or "maybe" are the unholy trinity of toilet-play, vore, and ewoks. Especially all three combined - there's nothing more off-putting than the smell of an ewok with poo-stained fur. I'm not really a fan of futa - it simply doesn't float my boat. Strap-ons are way more exciting.

But Mystic! I don't know these systems you talk of, and the word Rifts scares me!

I'm happy to teach games or settings, and equally happy to learn. We were all new at some point, and snobbery about 'noobs' does no-one any credit.

Last Words?
They couldn't hit the side of a barn at this ra...

Ahem.

If any of the above tickled your fancy, drop me a PM. Tell me your favourite kind of pie in your reply so I know you've read this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom