Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Deception in Disguise [VegaxHahvy]

"We'll tell your father that after a much needed vacation, I decided to marry and court you like a proper woman should be courted when you came to visit me and discuss this engagement as proper adults. Or something like that."

He had noted her blush, the anticipation, and it took a lot of will power not to kiss her delicate but oh-so-kissable mouth. She was going to be very hard to resist- the little temptress. Keeping his raging hormones on a tighter leash, he looked at his servants who were milling about with questioning looks but he did not answer their questions. They would all find out in the morning that Sam was actually Samantha his fiance.

"I believe a lady should reside in her quarters as she has asked, don't you agree?"

Amusement laced his tone at her soft-spoken question. She sounded so unsure which was rather adorable. Touching her cheek lightly with his knuckles, he smiled adoringly at her. She was so lovely and with such a great mind and personality. Even if she had deceived him- he would make her pay for that later- she was the kind of woman he had been looking for for a very long time. She wasn't some dull-witted party woman who would only think about spending all his money on stupid little balls and gowns. No, she was smart and would probably help him- just like he had wanted from the start- a partner and a lover. Leaning in close to her ear, he whispered lightly-

"You should go to your quarters before I do something..ungentlemanly. I cannot help but want to have the sin you represent."

Grinning wolfishly, he stepped back and reigned in his sexual beast. It wasn't right to devour his future wife in front of the servants, after all.​

She raised her eyebrow at that, but accepted it. She had inherited her father's stubborn nature but at least her sister's were taken care of. Maybe this would work out, her reputation for being quick-witted had proceeded her in a good way. Perhaps, just perhaps, this wasn't a bad decision she had made. She could only hope, even as she felt his gaze on her, heat warming in her belly once more before she could kill it dead. She couldn't lust after him. There was still the scandal that surrounded his pass, and though a gentleman he still obviously had enemies after him.

However she put those thoughts aside for the conversation that was currently occurring. "I'll pick up my things from my room, and can I make a request?" All her training came flowing back to her. She wasn't a money grubbing woman in the very least, but some things were a bit hard to break. It was schooling that often, if not done correctly, became a scolding from a father - something she far from wanted in any case.

At his later words however, her breath ceased, her heartbeat the only thing she could hear. Again she wondered about those scandals of the past, however he had been hardly demanding of her since he discovered her, other than the kiss that he had taken from her earlier he had been rather polite. Samantha's sapphire eyes looked up at him, finally remembering to breathe, "May I please have access to your library? All my books are still at Father's."

If she was the sin he wanted to commit, she was starting to wonder which was worse for both of them. The waiting or the courting.

"There are many things I will have to divulge to you..but not this day. You may use the library at your leisure whenever you wish."

He murmured the former and spoke the latter more firmly as he watched her reactions to his presence and words. She was quite innocent, wasn't she? He needed to treat her properly...and love her unconditionally. He had no doubts that he would. He was already half in love. But he had to wonder if it was going to be a companionship or an actual marriage. His heart strangely ached at the thought that though she might come to love him, she would seek attention elsewhere for her bed. A flare of..something passed through him and he knew it to be jealously. But he tramped it down and held it at bay. He wanted her completely for himself. There was no denying that. But he wouldn't suffocate her or smother her. It was a deadly game they were playing and he wondered which of them would break the rules first.​

Her eyes slid slide long at the man whom, at first, she had been serving, bright eyes look up at him through long lashes. There was something in her eyes that showed a growing warmth for him, though the shyness was still there. Her form retreated from the wall to lean up on tip toes almost to kiss his cheek., “Thank you.” she said softly before she darted from the room. The servants could wonder all they pleased for all she cared as she leaned against her former bedroom door, slowly sliding down towards the floor as she looked up at the ceiling. What had she gotten herself into?

Wrapping around her legs she rested her chin on her knees, eyes staring towards the corner wall as she thought. The others slowly returned to their rooms, murmurs could be heard throughout the halls until finally each one died. For those few hours she had been thinking. A plan finally came to mind the only thing was would she be able to pull through this? She mentally smacked herself, she had to. Reaching the small vanity she withdrew a jewelry box which she had kept a few trinkets. Things Samantha herself had wanted to keep. Stashing the locket in it’s normal secret compartment she closed the lid and took it, and the few more personal things to her new room.

The night was quiet, turning the knob to her new rooms she saw things curtailed to a woman’s taste. Her tastes. Had he been to her old room? She glanced around, shutting the door behind her as she took a look around her. It didn’t take her long to find where things were in the room as she turned the closet door. Not many items hung there but there was enough to keep her well dressed for the next few days. Opening a nearby armoire she found a nightgown, though plain, it suited her tastes. She wasn’t trying to get anyone’s tastes outside her own. Pulling off her clothes she neatly folded and placed them on the nearby bench, letting the fabric of the nightgown slide over her figure. Supple curves could be seen as she tied the strings along the top of it. Her sapphire eyes glanced up at the mirror, fingers slowly tracing where his lips had touched her own. The mere thought of it made her tingle with the warmth the earlier kiss had brought.

Shaking her head she sighed before eying the bed. It looked awfully comfortable, she was willing to bet it would be too. She wondered what it would be like to have those cat like eyes watching as she slept, or his warmth against her back. Mentally shaking herself again she reminded herself that though he had been kind to her and the servants before he might treat her differently once the truth was out. She hoped not, she wanted to trust him. Rumors be damned, for now she needed to know the man through and through to see if it was true. After all, she was going to spend the rest of her life with him, if nothing else he would treat her well. Pushing the covers back on the bed she tucked herself in, bringing the comforter over her shoulder as she laid on her side, her thoughts still very positive when she finally drifted off to sleep.

Darius now had major rumor and damage control to do. And so that's what he did in those hours after Sam had left his side and went to do whatever it was that she had planned to do. He spoke with servants, telling them all to keep it hush-hush since he had to speak with the girl's father and so on and so forth. They were all treated well and so they would be silent. The fact that he paid them well also helped. He smothered any stories that sparked and soon he rested in his study, trying to figure out the letter to write to her father. Tapping his pen against his chin as his cheek rested in his palm, he soon began to form the words needed to send to Sam's father.

His pen scratched the paper as he wrote an elaborate yet simple letter about his fiancee's whereabouts and how she was staying with him- in her own room of course with his servants' supervision. He would never impede on her innocence or wishes and invited her father over to stay with them for a week if he so wished to make sure his daughter was well situated inside his home.

Signing the bottom with a practiced hand, Darius sanded it and then sealed it with wax and his seal and handed it to one of his runners. The letter would probably arrive in a few days- a week at the most. He wished he could get his letters to her father faster than that, but it was what it was. Rubbing his temples, he soon arose and headed to bed. Once in his room, he shed all his clothing and slipped under the covers. He wondered briefly what it would be like to curl his arms about Samantha and hold her close and rub her tummy as it swelled with his child....He blinked at the thought before he shook it away with a heavy sigh, sleep claiming him at last.​

For Samantha, when time had seemed slow before when she was pondering her future husband's character, time was now a blur. Letters had started coming almost daily from her family to scold her or to admire her for being able to slip past everything. Her father had come at the beginning of the week, he would be leaving within a few days to return to the estate. Now as a lady proper again, Samantha had become mostly her old self.

Mostly. Except for when her thoughts drifted back to that first kiss he had given her. The memory seared into her memory for all it was worth. A knock at the door, rose her from her memory as she went to the door to open it carefully. "Ma'am your tea?" Came a maid's voice holding the tray for her. Carefully balancing it in her hands she placed it on the study desk, before looking back towards the girl. "Any news of where the Master and Father are?" Samantha asked carefully. She had rarely seen her father since his stay here as he seemed to be more focused on the matters with her Husband-to-be about some matter or another. Dinners were quiet affairs at best.

"They are still in the parlor, ma'am," came the maid's soft voice as she curtsied. "Shall I tell them you are looking for them?" Samantha shook her head, "No, that is fine Isabel. However if they should inquire tell them I'm in the study." She shooed the girl out before returning to her initial sitting, though a bit of needlework rested on the table, it was the thick book that had gained her attention as she placed Vanity Fair into her lap once more occasionally sipping her tea as she flipped the pages. Occasionally she would make a comment about her dislike for one of the characters but mostly was quiet as she read, her attention focused on the book. She knew she needed to focus on her upcoming marriage, but that involved Darius who was detained by her father. They hadn't even set a date yet but she knew they should do so, soon.

As much as Darius enjoyed the company of Samantha's father, he wanted to leave and see his fiancee. No wonder the poor girl could hardly stand the man! He wasn't all bad, though, but he drawled on and on and on about useless things like most air-headed women in high society. He was all about appearance and who had what and who was marrying whom and who was courting so-and-so and it was driving him mad. But he had an incredible poker face and pretended like he was interested. Most men of his acquaintance spoke about the races, the stocks, sports, anything else other than social dribble. Thankfully, the older man began to tire and took leave of the room to take a bit of fresh air to relax.

Darius prowled around his home looking for his fiancee and was not surprised to find her in the study. He opened the door quietly and just watched her for a moment, completely entranced by her beauty that went beyond her complexion. He couldn't stop a chuckle as she ranted about a particular scene and covered his mouth but knew himself to be caught.

"Sorry, my dear. I just wanted to watch you for a little while."

Coming into the room, he sat beside her and took her hand in his and gently moved his thumb back and forth over the back of her hand. Smiling at her, Darius thought of how lucky he was a man to have her. Though it was killing him to hold back so much of himself in the physical, he knew she wanted them both to wait- much as it grew frustrating. He touched her on occasion, but he controlled his passions as she had wished.

"Have you been thinking of the wedding?"​

Samantha was so engrossed in her books that she jumped almost knocking the tea cup onto the floor in her fright as she heard Darius' chuckle. Her blue eyes were hard sapphires trying to claw into his soul. "Do you not know how to knock? It is rude to stare, Mr. De'Marlik. Next time instead of being able to sit beside me as a gentleman you'll be on your knees begging for forgiveness." He had certainly bristled her nerves as she tried to smooth over her skirts readjusting them as she sat down once more.

She was tempted to cross her arms as to avoid his touch as she sat the book down on the table but he was quick. His warm hand grasping her cool one slowly soothed her back into a calm state. Taking in a deep breath she let it out slowly, "I already talked it over with father, we need to set a date, probably sooner rather than later. I don't want to be couped up with a bunch of people indoors however if it's possible. Perhaps sometime in the fall would be nice." She had planned her sister's weddings. "Something simple though. However," She glanced at him, "Unconventional may make it more entertaining." She had a glitter in her eye though she slowly drew closer to him. He had been keeping his word, but even if in this small moment of clarity she knew neither one would wait forever.

Once she was close enough, she leaned against him, her head nestled into his chest as she sighed softly, letting his scent and warmth envelop her. Her hand slowly moving and entwining fingers with his. "I'm certain Father is boring you silly with his politics. However..." She glanced up at him, "he means well. What about your business in the afternoon? I noticed the Chef's desire to strangle you for thinking you were going to go be late growing by the day. You might kill the poor man."

"I believe a fall wedding would be lovely. We could have it outside at my friend Mark's home just outside the city. He has a beautiful cottage that is big enough for a simple but small event like that. We could go there this upcoming weekend if you would like to see what you would like done and to confer with Mark about accommodating us. Would the seventeenth of October be a good date?"

He smiled as her temper cooled because of his touch and she was once again calm. He loved her moods and her wit and flair. He...loved her. In this gentle moment, he knew that he did. He felt it was muted because he was unsure of how she felt about him, but his passion for her was strong though it took a lot of willpower not to take her into his embrace and ravish her. She asked for his patience and she would have it- much as it made him feel like eunuch. Feeling her press her head against his chest, he sighed and stroked her hair, loving this moment with her. He was careful not to mess up her hairstyle, knowing how much it irked her, much to his amusement. Capturing his free hand, he felt some pride that she twined their fingers together as if she was shy but so certain about wanting him. He listened to her talk and had to sigh and shake his head with a small chuckle. Poor Chef. He was probably pulling out his hair.

"I believe I had to reschedule it because-the man whom I was going to have business with- his daughter has taken ill, poor thing. She's quite young and he and I proclaimed that we will meet next Tuesday upon his notice. I might have to call one of my physicians to take a look at her if her condition worsens. My client is a rather good friend of mine and his daughter is very sweet. I just pray it's nothing serious. She's his only child."​

"Do you think it would be alright? I do not wish to impose on your friend. Though I'd believe that would make it easier to serve the guests. I have a few friends of Father's that would be more than willing to offer some of their cider and such for the event. I am not going to invite the whole town." She gave him a look with those level eyes to show she was serious as she returned to cuddle into the warmth he offered her.

The soothing strokes through her hair gave way to more of his personality. He was a gentleman through and through, a good man whose prime concern seemed to be others versus himself. The only reason why she got irked with her hair being out of place was because the others put so much attention despite her own desire to have it loose that she would hate to have all their hard work for nothing.

"I think Chef will be happy once you stop having to leave somewhere and actually are home long enough to enjoy his cooking." A thought struck her features as she looked up at him. "Why don't you ask him to make some of his soup for the girl? I'm sure it will help make her feel better knowing someone made her something to make her be well." His compassion for his friend and his daughter warmed her even more as she listened to his heartbeat.

"Perhaps we could invite the over for lunch or even dinner. That way you can attend to your business, I can watch the girl for the two of you easily enough, and Chef can have his ego stroked for awhile." She grinned. Ah, she had loved children, when she had seen her little nieces and nephews she had always wondered what it would be like to have her own little ones running underfoot. She often wondered if they would take on their father's eyes. She blinked at that, considering the only image that had filtered into her head was a little boy with flaming red hair and her eyes...or on the occasion a little girl with those gold eyes and hair as black as her mothers. Irony would love to play such a joke wouldn't it? She wouldn't put it past Darius to be one of those protective fathers when it came to children.

If they had children.

He chuckled at her look, knowing she would not be swayed from a simple yet elegant wedding. He wouldn't have it any other way. He wanted to give her what she wanted- but he did have his own limits, too. He wouldn't spoil her like other men he knew had done and ended up with distasteful wives. No, he would love her and help her and be what she needed and treat her like his partner and lover. To be cherished but not spoiled. If she wanted something enough, he would have no problems helping her to get it- and more than likely, she would find the means to get it herself. He would provide for her, as was his husbandly right, but he wouldn't have a brat for a wife. But he knew, down to his soul, she would never out that way. They would work together and help with eachother's dreams and their own mutual ones.

He quirked a brow at her suggestion, but he nodded thinking it was a good idea. The girl was well enough to travel and their home wasn't that far- perhaps an hour ride and she could be comfortable in the carriage if he sent over his best. It wouldn't be any trouble on his end- but it would be a bit hard to convince her father that she would be fine at his own for the evening and if they decided to spend the night. He could call a doctor if anything happened.

"Perhaps we could arrange for lunch tomorrow and if Amelia is too exhausted to travel, they can spend the night here in the guest rooms. Would that be all right with you, my dear? And it would probably put Chef at ease. I can send out notice to Adam within the next hour or so and he can tell me if tomorrow is too soon."

He said, watching her face. She seemed to be on the track of children and he found his cheeks blossoming with the smallest of blushes. Children...with Sam. The thought made his breath stop as he thought of her glowing with motherly pride as her belly swelled with his child. He could picture a little girl with her hair, his eyes, and her smile beaming up at him. He held Sam a little bit closer and wondered if she would want his children. It made his heart beat a little bit faster.

"That would be lovely! I haven't had someone to dote on since Maria came home last year with her little ones. It would be good to have a distraction from all these wedding things." She said gently before leaning up to kiss his cheek. "You should also write a message to Mark about looking at that cottage. And ask if it is alright to use it for our wedding to begin with." She said gently as she slowly pulled out of his arms. She had to, much to her inner minds displeasure, rising to stand she slowly let her skirts relaxed, lightly gripping her elbow. "I should check on Father before it grows too late...I will see you at breakfast tomorrow?" She said softly before moving out of the study and down the hall as her heels tapped against the floors.

She didn't know what had gotten ahold of her. Her fingertips lightly traced her lips. She had never acted on an impulse, not once. Not till now. When she had felt so right in his arms, so safe and for once in her life completely content to stay there. That was why she had to get up. She didn't want to give him any wrong ideas...though some of them felt very right now. The talk of children, and being held, had been the final click in her head. She had fallen in love with him. Somewhere in the past few months he had wormed his way into her heart and had respected her wishes to the fullest. Never once had he tried to take advantage of her. Knocking on her Father's door she peeked in to see the old man asleep in his chair. Chuckling softly she moved to grab a blanket nearby and wrapped it around him to keep him warm. It was good to see him looking better. She knew though it wouldn't last.

The smile slightly faded from her lips at that as she gave him a chaste kiss on the forehead, slowly closing the door behind her as she did. A sigh left her lips as she disappeared into her own rooms, untying the the bow to her corset to let it fall away from her form and pull the dress from her form. Reaching onto the nearby cabinet she pulled on a nightshirt, slowly pulling her hair free from the confines of it. Removing the pins of her hair she let it fall freely. Slowly she ran her brush through it watching her eyes in the mirror, slowly putting the brush down.

Sleep was definitely in order, it was a big day tomorrow afterall.

She glanced at her bed moving under the covers, though her body felt the need to sleep her mind however did not. Thousands of thoughts riddled her mind. Damn her nature. She tossed and turned trying to get comfortable. Which shouldn't have been a problem, normally she went straight to sleep but tonight she was restless. Finally hours later she gave up, rising from her blankets she thought of what she could do. It was almost midnight judging by the ding of the grandfather downstairs.

Only one thought crossed her mind as she tiptoed out of her room, quietly closing the door behind her. She tried to not make a sound as she made her way farther down the hall to someplace she hadn't been yet. With a shaking hand she knocked on the door. Who knocked at the Master of the House's door at this hour? She rubbed her arms. Not exactly cold, just the nervousness and the awkwardness of the situation. Should he open the door, she would look up at him with those blue eyes of hers, almost pleading. "I can't sleep...can I sleep with you tonight?"

Darius had run around all day after his fiance had gone off to do her own things. He had made plans, sent out notices and organized their trip to the country. He loved the country and the place they lived in was in between the city and the country, which was good for him since he liked to get away without having to make plans weeks in advanced just to go. He worked hard and long that day, taking a few moments to himself before he finally settled in his chair inside his bedroom chamber. He sat at his desk with a candle burning- the cinnamon sent wafting to him in the silence. He drank from a glass with whiskey coloring it amber. He took a gulp, feeling the burn down his throat that helped ease his mind and relax his body. He was far from drunk or even buzzing with pleasantness. He was simply having a drink before bed. His shirt was unbuttoned with his tie resting lazily against his chest undone. He had loosened up his cuffs and rolled the sleeves up to his elbows, his jacket settled on the coat rack. He had placed his shoes by the door haphazardly.

Hearing the clock downstairs, he listened to the chimes before they finally stopped after twelve times. So, it was already midnight. He hadn't figured he had worked so much and so long today. Sometimes he wondered if he should just be like the other wealthy men in his class and just be lazy and waited on. He chuckled- he wasn't the type to be waited on. He did things for himself. Yes, he had servants that helped make his life easier, but he didn't call for them at all hours of the day like some of his acquaintances did. No, he actually gave them days off and vacations ranging from a week to a month depending on their home lives. He wasn't cruel by any means and knew what it was like to need a break from the everyday task of work. His thoughts were soon interrupted by a quiet knock at his door and he raised a brow, wondering who it could be at this hour. Rising from his chair, he stepped over to the door and pulled it open, looking down into the face of his fiance. He couldn't stop the blush the spread lightly over his cheeks upon seeing her staring up at him in her...nightgown. And he had to swallow a groan at the words she spoke. Oh, so many things could be taken from those soft and hesitant words. With a deep breath, he gave her a devilish grin.

"Oh? So you've changed your mind about being held in my arms all night?"

He was teasing of course, he couldn't hope for her to have really changed her mind and want to...to be with him intimately. She couldn't sleep after all. So perhaps she was having nightmares. He often wondered if she did. He smiled at her gently as he took a lock of her hair and twirled it about his finger.

"I promise to behave, my dear."

Samantha nearly back pedaled away from her husband-to-be when he gave her that devilish grin, his words cutting into her pride like a lash. She really had broken down to this hadn't she? However in the library she had felt so at peace in his arms that it had somewhat scared her. She knew she cared about him, she just didn't think it went as far as it did. The gentle touch of his hand on her hair stopped her though, those bright eyes looking up at him, avoiding to glancing at his parted shirt to the ravishing man he really was.

"You better," she said softly," Or I might change my mind and try to find another way to sleep." She moved passed him to look around his room. A room that would eventually become their room. And his bed - their bed. She was starting if this was such a good idea afterall. But she did need the sleep. The scent of cinnamon drifted to her nose as she glanced towards the desk to see even more work piled there. Did the man ever relax for a few hours? Yes, yes he did, she realized. Whenever he was around her he seemed to become less tense, he was always tense from what she had seen, but it was just a smidge less when he had held her.

"Do you never wind down from working, Darius?" She asked gently noting the notes and things on his desk. She sat herself on the edge of the bed, not quite sure to get in when he himself didn't seem ready for bed. Wait, how did he sleep? Naked? The thought made her blush and she hoped he didn't notice. She was starting to wonder more and more if this was a bad idea. Worse came to worse she could potentially go curl up in the library with a few books until she fell asleep. It could work right?

"I swear she's going to kill me with the thoughts she instills in my mind..."

He muttered under his breath as she breezed past him, looking flustered and the tiniest bit aroused but more tired than anything. Small circles were starting to form under her eyes from lack of sleep and he hoped that she would find the rest she required in his arms. He usually did sleep in the nude, which he could tell from her expression was one of her worries, but he would be a gentleman. As much as it killed him. Her blush confirmed her thoughts as she sat there on the bed, so uncertain. She was usually so confident that he had forgotten she was a pure woman, despite her reminding him daily. It just made him love her more to know that even she could look vulnerable and in need of simply an embrace. He wanted to make love to her, but he kept himself in check. It was difficult, but he would somehow manage even with her in his bed.

"I was actually winding down for the night, Samantha. I was having my whiskey and reading some poems a friend had written and wanted me to critique."

He turned his back to her as he slid off his tie and put it in the black armoir that sat in the corner where his coat rack was. He then took off his shirt and put it in the small hamper that was settled in between the two pieces. It was probably a bit much for her to see him in such a state of undress, but he had to at least get down to his underpants in order to sleep in relative comfort. He walked over to her, still in his trousers and socks and gave her a gentle kiss on the mouth before he moved away to pull back the covers for her. He patted the space he had uncovered.

"Go to sleep, darling. I'll join you in a moment."

Her eyes never left him as he wandered over to the armoir, "Poems for whom?" She rose an eyebrow carefully, "The lady that caught his eye or his wife?" Her lips had a ghost of a smile on them. Why did she feel so comfortable around him? She was practically acting like his wife if not in name. She fidgeted slightly as she watched him take off his shirt. Her fingers wanted to touch him but she shut her mind down on that notion. It would only make their situation harder for him to handle. And she wasn't so sure she'd resist.

The gentle kiss however soothed her rattled nerves as he pulled back the covers for her. She'd returned his kiss with a sweeter one of her own, rising only til she was seated in the spot he had vacated the covers for her. "I'll try," she managed out, vaguely wondering if even here she would sleep. Tucking her knees under the covers she pulled them back up to near her shoulders, her long hair pulled over her shoulder for now, out of the way from when he decided to come to bed himself. Her eyes closed slowly, though her breath remained in that even wakeful state.

It would probably only be once her mind was truly calm and he climbed into bed beside her to hold her that she could really sleep. It frustrated her to no end, though she did hope this would be the only night before the wedding this happened. Otherwise...she may not want to wait to be his wife to have his restrained passion be washed on her. Her body still tingled from the night he had found out she was who she was in those burning kisses he had given her. How he would manage with her beside him she had no idea.

He couldn't help but smile at her as she lay there all curled up, just waiting for him like a blushing bride. He had to say that she looked adorable and vulnerable and it made him want to protect her and ravish her all at the same time. The woman drove him crazy. Sighing, he combed his fingers through his hair, making the silky strands unkempt and messy. He didn't really care though, he was off to bed. He blew out the single candle in the room, plunging it into darkness as he stripped out of the rest of his clothes without her eyes on him. The room was bathed in a small stream of moonlight, but he was out of the way, entranced by the way the beams landed upon his love's face. Oh, how he wanted to kiss those lips! It made him full with need.

He came around the bed and soon slipped under the covers on his side, curling up on his side- turned away from her. He didn't know how he would manage to keep his hands off of her and found himself turning onto his back to stare at the ceiling, knowing how close she was. He kept his breathing calm and his body relaxed, but inside he was coiled to strike. He wanted her- all of her- and he felt his restraint slipping just a little bit. But with a mental tug, he reined it back in with a heavy sigh. This woman was driving him insane.

Samantha didn't move when she finally felt the bed dip with him beside her. Her surprise was instead of feeling his wrap around her waist and his breath her ear she found herself wondering if she was even touching him by a fraction of an inch. Opening her eyes she glanced at him over her shoulder, "Darius?" She asked out softly, his form shifting onto his back, mere inches from her. Mind you the moon didn't hide his bare chest and fiery locks from her gaze. In fact they only enhanced them as she swallowed slowly.

"Can you hold me till I go to sleep? Please?" She was trying very hard not to outright beg him to do so, but she had her reasons for not being able to sleep obviously. She wanted him to hold her, only her or any little ones that ended up later on. Even then, though, at night she would be his. She had made up her mind that afternoon that no matter what would happen after today that she was, and would be, his. Only his. It was perhaps that reason why it had gotten hard to sleep in her own bed when she knew he was just down the hall. Patient as ever with her, knowing that she tested his will every day that they got close.

She still needed to eventually get some sleep. Even with him beside her it wasn't enough, those blue eyes looking to his face watching his gaze on the ceiling. How did she manage to gain the attention of a man with faithful patience? Who had loved her without even seeing her, who went out of his way to see to it that her father would see her married one day. Maybe Happily Ever Afters aren't just in fairy tales. She knew if he didn't say anything she would simply roll over to face him and curl up into him to let sleep claim her.

"As you wish..."

He murmured softly, smiling with his eyes closed before he suddenly scooped her up and into his arms. He curled up on his side, his front to her back, an arm draped over her waist but not scandalous enough to be near her womanhood or even her thighs. Nope, his arm was just in the middle of touching her feminine secrets he longed to explore. But she had asked him to hold her, not make love to her. But it was all right. He wasn't pushing for her physical love as much as he wanted to claim her in the basest of ways. He buried his face in her fragrant hair and breathed deep before seeming to relax. He was wired by the touch and heat of her body, but he wanted to hold her- just hold her as she had asked. As much as he wanted to explore her body in the quiet of the night, he hadn't been able to hold her quite like this and it was like fine brandy going straight to his head.

Samantha had barely enough time to register he had agreed to do so when she felt his arm pull her against his chest. The warm heat of his back made her stiffen a moment simply due to not ever really being this close to him outside of her skirts and corsets. To have hardly anything between them was...certainly different. Yet, Darius acted like a complete gentleman, keeping his hands in decent places. She felt him take a deep breath of her hair. Only when his body relax did hers also. Her eyes slowly closing as her hand joined his along her hip to lightly twine his fingers with hers.

She could get used to sleeping next to someone if it was as blissful as this. At some point or another she drifted to sleep. Samantha however wasn't one of those who could always stay in the same position though and a few hours later, not quite pre-dawn but certainly in the dead of the night, she shifted in her sleep. Her body tucking itself as close to the body heat as it dared to go as she rolled onto her other side, sleepily nuzzling against his chest as her hands curled against her cheek.

Darius had drifted to sleep as soon as her breathing changed, wanting to have stayed awake until she had passed into the dream world. His dreams had been filled with her and soon, he was jolted awake from the movement of her small body against his. She was pressed completely against his front and he found it not uncomfortable, but that he was wide awake enough to feel all the contours and curves of her frame. He swallowed, feeling her nuzzle into his chest and not yet realize what kind of obstacle she presented to him. He should be considered a saint in the morning. Knighted and everything.

"I must be crazy..."

He murmured into the dark, sliding his hand to her lower back to press her into him more. He liked the feel of her body snug against his own. It had been ages since a woman had slept in his bed and she was just the kind of woman he wanted to stay there always. He was delicate in his touches, not wanting to wake her from her slumber. His lips brushed the top of her hair, mussed from sleep. It was much too early to be awake but he found that now he couldn't sleep. Smiling ruefully, Darius did a light exploration of his fiance, careful not to be so bold.

Back
Top Bottom