Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Deception in Disguise [VegaxHahvy]

TakodaVega

Supporter
Supporter
For England, the Victorian era was littered in both great achievements and great vices. After the death of Prince Albert, the Queen had fallen into mourning reclusing herself from the outside world for years, and refused to wear her crown thereafter.

For the nobles, it was the last true peak of their Aristocracy, as the Industrial revolution came into the world and business and child labor was prosperous, Charles Dickens recounted his time working in the debtor's prison.

Nobles, however is what this story is about, and the fight to claim what is supposedly 'theirs'.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

"I want nothing to do with the man, Father," came the eldest daughter of the Scarborough family. Headstrong Samantha, even with her corset and bindings still seemed to be ever the black sheep of the family.

For Richard Scarborough, it was the best thing he could have done for the girl, arranging the marriage to respectable nobleman family, particularly with no prospects after her coming out three years ago. If there had been more money, and higher social standing, this land would have been hers. But at age twenty-two, the woman had no success at ever gaining her prospects at this rate.

So the marriage had been arranged, for her benefit.

"Samantha, please, you have to understand this is for your own good. Without this man's generous proposal, despite your low dowry, has given light to the situation. I'm sorry my child, but it must be done."

Gripping her hands she opened her fan with her left hand before walking away from her father's study. The brute, he had no right to sign her life away because others found her 'unfit' for the life of a woman. It was not because she had not received a proper education, but rather her education far exceeded it, her wit and wry often made the gentleman of her time cringe.

Her dark chocolate hair was almost black, complimenting her pale skin and bright blue eyes, often remarked to be same color as the blue sapphires that adorned the Queen's crown. Returning to her room she glanced over to her maidservant. "I need riding clothes." She said, "Now. Tell my Father I am visiting Miss Elizabeth."

It was the last anyone saw of Miss Samantha.

---------------------------------------------

Bright blue eyes looked up from the silver tray, tea steaming from the pot as the young man made his way up the stairs to the door, tapping on the study door with the tray in one hand. Long chocolate locks bound back in a blue ribbon, vest and white shirt tucked into black pants and descended to proper shoes. "Sir, your tea is ready."

The light voice the 'boy' spoke was often mistaken for that of a young lad, after all Samantha, now called Sam, was only five feet six inches, not quite 'ready' for that growth spurt that would take 'him' once 'he' grew older.

Darius De'Marlik looked up from his book, spectacles atop his head. He was a handsome devil, and some called him Casanova as a joke. He was a charmer and loved women like no other, but he wasn't like his fellows who took to any bed that was offered. Verily, he had slept with very few women in his life, even at the age of twenty-eight. His hair was a rich amber red, and eyes that seemed as yellow as citrine. Or like those of wolves. Specks of purple flecked his irises just as a few scars marked his fine face. He wasn't like the other nobles who lazed about and simply spent their money. No, he went out and about and worked up his connections, and actually earned a small little bit that lined his pockets rather than his inheritance. Adjusting his breaches, he called for his servant boy to come in.

"Come on in, Sam."

His voice was like velvet and kind. He was never harsh to his servants, simply sarcastic and witty whenever he could be. They were never turned out and given the utmost care. He wouldn't have hurting workers in his house. And he was particularly fond of Sam. He felt an odd stirring as he thought of the boy-the boy who was too pretty- and brushed those kind of thoughts away as he placed his spectacles upon his book and settled in his chair once more.​

Entered the room tray carefully carried with one hand before she set it down onto the table. There were different letters on the tray as well. Samantha's eyes widened a fraction as she recognized her father's handwriting on the one on top, having not paid attention to it before. Mentally cursing her misguided looks she bowed politely to the gentleman.

"I see the Scarborough's have left you a calling card sir. Any word as to their missing daughter yet?"

She had heard so many rumors about herself it had gotten ridiculous, from killing herself to eloping. Either way she would be a scandal to suicide should return back to her parents. But it would matter not to her, she would get rid of the man in front of her, in due time. All the gentlemen she had ever known had a dark side. Surely this man, despite his kindness and generosity had it as well.

At mention of the calling card, he looked at it for a long while before turning his eyes away. He didn't want to think about his missing fiance. Taking his cup of tea, he took a careful sip, noting that it was just a tad too hot to drink properly and promptly set it down. Glancing up at Sam, he let out a sigh as he combed his fingers through his hair.

"No. There hasn't been any word, but I have no doubt that she fled because of the stories drifting around about me. No matter though, she could have simply told me that she didn't want to marry me. Hell, if she had decided to go through with it, I would have let her to herself in another part of the house. But, it is as it is..."

He glanced out the window with a soft sigh. He had "different" ways when it came to his women and a bedroom. But Sam didn't need to know about those little quirks of his that had made him into a Casanova. Still, he really did wonder about Samantha. He had never gotten the chance to see her, but the stories of her beauty and wit and intelligence had made him wander towards her family. And she had been recommended by his cousin.

"I will take a look at it later. But thank you, Sam. Is there anything special you would like for supper this evening?"

He asked casually, looking at the too beautiful boy before him.​

"You must remember, sir, that the ladies loose what is 'theirs' once married. Perhaps those stories about your status lilted her ears?" She asked softly, tilting her head, "Surely they are merely rumors milord? Or is their some truth to the stories?" Her blue eyes flickered in curiosity. It was one of the reasons she wanted nothing to do with him. A woman respected her purity at the highest cost, it was her marriage price. However for Samantha she had personal reasons she would never surrender her innocence. Why trust a scoundrel with something that could only be given away once?

She cleared her throat slowly before bowing, "Forgive me sir that was rude of me. I spoke out of place."

He did almost look worried about her, she would keep prodding for information, the poison she had carefully tucked away into her her pocket, a simple locket sufficed for the deed, when others asked about it, she always said it was her sisters, for luck.

"No, sir. Whatever you wish the cook to fix is perfectly fine with me. It is your house after all."

"I would never take anything that wasn't willingly given to me. If she never wanted me to touch her, as much as it would pain me not to hold my wife, I would heed to her wishes. She wouldn't want for anything under my roof. And if she was worried about...that aspect of marriage sacred to husbands and wives, I would take the utmost care or leave her be."

He had started out heated but his voice trailed off at the end. He had his ways when it came to the sexual act, but he wouldn't disclose them just yet to Sam. Perhaps if the boy asked for some advice on such manners, then maybe. With a heavy sigh that seemed to rattle his frame, he took the tea cup once more and took a test sip. It was much more bearable in its temperature and he drank more easily.

"Well, my lad. Then perhaps you could inform Chef that you will be eating with me tonight, along with the rest of the house. Sound fair?"

Darius gave the boy a small grin before it was hidden by the rim of his tea cup.​

If Samantha had animal ears they would have been folded against her skull. The man was becoming an increasing enigma to her. One she couldn't, wouldn't, understand. He frustrated her, were the stories not true? His demeanor here and everywhere else in the house had been proven otherwise.

Would he take the scandal that would happen if for some godly reason, to change her mind? Marriage that was out of her hands long before it had come to this. Knowing the man better while he knew nothing of her, made her feel better, at least, on the inside. However that didn't help the situation as of right now.

Clearing her throat again she bowed towards Darius, with those blue eyes of hers hiding her true apprehension, she hoped, for now. "Y-yes, sir. I will let him know. To what do I owe the honor?"

She again was mentally cursing herself as she turned away from him and made her way towards the door opening it. It gave him ample time to stop her. Her secret that she had been keeping up the past few day sure could be kept up a little longer. Long enough for him to show his true colors and come do what she had come originally to do. Kill him.

It was not her innocence at stake, but her property as well. For when she married, because her younger sisters had already, everything that was hers would be his once her father died. And he was growing old in his time.

"Honor? I simply wish you to feel at home here, even if you don't end up staying with me here very long, depending on your choices."

He said as he put down his cup, staring at the retreating form of his servant. It was odd, but he thought he could see the supple outline of feminine curves under his breaches. Shaking his head to clear away such strange thoughts, he marked the page that he had been reading before sliding out his pocket watch and checking the time. He had several engagements to go to before dinner in the evening. Standing to his full height of six even, he adjusted his cuffs before moving towards the door to stand beside Sam.

"I have engagements I must attend prior to supper. Please, also, inform Chef that I may be a tad late. If you'll excuse me."

With a quick flick of his wrist, he opened the library doors and held it open for Sam to proceed him. It wasn't unusual for him to do such things, but it was a little out of place, even for him. Yet, as he looked at Sam, all he could think was that the boy was much too pretty to be a boy. Once Sam was outside the library, Darius made his way down the winding staircase to grab his hat. A horse was awaiting him outside as he exited his estate and rode off into the dwindling day light.​

Samantha knew tonight had to be the night. Even if she wanted to know more about the man, the last thing she honestly wanted to do was to be dining with him! Running down to the servants quarter's she cleared her throat, alerting the Chef there, as the stout man looked at the girl with beady eyes.

"Oui? What iz it ju want?" Came the French Chef's retort.

Bowing politely again towards the man she cleared her throat. "T-the Master of the House says that he will be dining with me tonight." She could have sworn she shuddered at the thought but the steady beady gaze told her no, "And he wishes to inform you he would be a tad late."

"Sacrebleu! What doz that man think I am?! Ju cannot comprimize my most famousish dish!" He tapped his foot in agitation before grumbling. "Dinner will bez at Seven, SHARP." He said as he slammed the door in Samantha's face causing her to blink.

The joys of being a manservant, apparently, was getting your own bath as she made her way back to her room, to wash up. Donning on her best clothes, or rather what she considered the best, since he had given her most of it (much to her annoyance), she tweaked the red ribbon in her hair, making her blue eyes seem darker. Turbulent even. Glancing down at the locket she opened it carefully and shut it close. The white powder was gone from view as she placed the locket back in her pocket.

Could she do this? Could she kill the man who has proven himself so far to be far from what the stories tell? She shook her head trying to clear it, she couldn't start doubting now when she was so close to her goal.

What she didn't know was that more than one person wanted the Master of the house dead, indeed even as she made her way down the hall and the other servants murmured amongst themselves. A few which joined her in the dining room, servers for the evening more than likely as she slowly rubbed her arm, uncomfortable yet to sit down and eat until he had returned.

Why? Why did she feel like this? She berated herself in her head even as the door chimed as someone entered the house once more.

Darius came back home just before seven, though he had thought he would be a tad bit late to dinner. His horse was taken away and he dusted himself off as he walked through the doors, depositing his hat on the hat rack as he did. A maid came and removed his jacket, setting it on the rack as well. He thanked her as he mussed his hair, moving it back into a somewhat presentable manner. His time out had been less than pleasant, but he put on a smile as he walked into the hall, consumed by the smells. It was always good to return home.

Stepping inside the dining hall, he spotted Sam and other members that worked for him already moving about the table or sitting down and waiting. He noticed several of them attempting to get up out of their chairs but he waved them off. He stepped into the kitchen to speak with Chef, and was berated for even thinking of being late. He smiled and laughed with the elder Frenchman before he walked back into the dining room and taking his seat at the table.​

Samantha looked up just in time to see the Master of the house arrive, promptly taking her seat. She was used to eating alone in her room rather than being surrounded by the others. What was worse was she was directly across from Darius at the table. The table itself served about a dozen or so individuals, and she had to not turn to her ladylike habits that had been schooled into her since she was a small child.

"Welcome home, sir. I hope your travels went smoothly," came her soft voice, as the first course was passed around, brought in normal fashion as it had back home. She was polite to the other servants and gave 'Thank You' after each came around to fill her plate. Grace was mandatory as she closed her eyes, murmuring her own prayer over her food, not touching it until he did. It was only proper.

What was he to her now anyway? In the end she had to ponder if he would take up the scandal that she was soon becoming the longer and longer she was away from home. With her younger sisters wed that left their reputation untarnished. Just her own. She knew one year more, if her dear father lived that long, and she could inherit her father's lands. However, she had learned a long time ago that wouldn't happen.

It was all his. Every last speck of it. Even her precious horse, which she had managed to sneak back into the stables in the dead of night so as to not alert the stable hands of her presence. She was certain if her cover was blown there would be far more apprehensible consequences from her father. The thought almost made her loose appetite, she was certain as long as she ate enough to get by, she may be excused before everyone retired to the parlor later for their dessert. She knew his schedule by now like the back of her hand.

Which her ponder what was it they called him the infamous 'Cassanova', considering from her time here she had yet seen him take a woman with him to his room. Not one. Not even a maid had said a word about the Master being anything but kind.

Was the man worth killing then? Was it simply rumors that she had been led on because society saw it all unfit? Was he like her in a sense they did not meet the societal norm of their times?

Darius couldn't help but keep his eyes on Sam, even though he kept it polite and appropriate. He had learned a few things on his travels, and he had been told that perhaps his home wasn't as safe as he had originally thought. He was now wary and wondering if Sam perhaps was the one to be wary of. He hoped not, for though it was taboo and such to think of the young boy in the manner that he did, and it made him crazy, it could not be helped. Though, he did think he was losing his mind, after all, women had always been his fancy. But mayhap it was because Sam looked too beautiful to be a simple boy. He wasn't sure.

"My travels went well..And I learned a few things."

Darius said automatically, even as he felt a pressure weigh down on him. If Sam wasn't the one after him, then who? He couldn't sure. He knew he had enemies, but he wasn't sure how they could have infiltrated his household. It pained him and saddened part of him, while another was seized with anger. This was his house after all. And he was not one to be trifled with. Occasionally throughout dinner, he would rub between his eyes like his head hurt, or like he was annoyed. He ate very little but made sure to try everything in order to please Chef. Everything tasted wonderful, but still, his appetite was a mess from his stress and constant guard.​

Raised an eyebrow at his statement, had her cover already been blown? Shit, shit, shit! However the thought of her cursing even brought a visible blush to her cheeks which she covered up, promptly with coughing to make it as though it was the fake 'choke' that had brought on the blush as she slowly swallowed the piece of meat that was fighting to really go down the wrong tube.

Clearing her throat, she swallowed some water to try and not have her voice crack as she spoke, "Learned things sir?" Her voice took on a husky tone as she spoke, her mental cursing resurfacing as she continued to pick through her food during the final course. Noticing, as it seldom happened, that the Master of the House wasn't eating much either. This left Samantha in a very interesting predicament. After the last bowl was taken away, Samantha stood to her feet and carefully bowed.

"Please excuse me, sir, I am feeling unwell, and I wish not to interrupt your dessert with my health." She was quite polite, well as polite as she could as she waited for his reply. She hoped he would let her go, she was getting edgy. She was running out of time, not that anything would be able to prevent the scandal to her name now.

"But Sam, I would have you stay. The rest of you are to take your dessert to your rooms. Please, if you will, leave us." The staff of the household were rather shocked by his request, but they did as told without question. Their dessert was being handed to them as they left and soon it was just Sam and Darius. He had his suspicions, but he wasn't sure. The only thing he could do was confirm them. He stood up slowly and pushed out his chair before pushing it back in. His eyes focused on Sam and he found all the things that he had missed before. It made him angry with himself and he found that he was hurting. He walked towards Sam in a few strides and soon had the poor thing shoved up against the wall. He got right in his face-or should he say- her face.

"Tell me why you have deceived me. Tell me now!"

He seethed the last bit, hurt leaking in as he stared at the face of his lost fiance. Despite how they had never formally met, he had cared for her and her family situation, secretly taking care of her father so as not to arouse suspicion. The elder man was very prideful and the care he had been receiving wouldn't keep him alive for very long. But Darius wanted the man alive long enough to see his daughter wed. When he had heard about Samantha, he had fallen in love just by stories. Her beauty had meant nothing-even if she had been plain he would have sought her-but she had chosen to lie and run away like a coward.​

Samantha felt her heart sank in her chest. There was no way, her mind kept telling her as the others left and he rose from his chair. Her feet made their way backwards, if she hadn't had her mind thinking a thousand miles a minute she would have been surprised she hadn't tripped over the rug. Her back met the wall just as he had cornered into place. There was no place she could run to, without him blocking her way.

However her need to run faded, despite the seething rage that lingered beneath the surface she saw the hurt in his eyes, hurt she had undoubtedly caused in her need for freedom, "To see if the rumors were true..." Came her soft voice as she turned her head away from him. "I see now that they were only lies, sir."

She closed her eyes to hide her emotions from his view, her hands slowly curled into fists before relaxed them. What was the use? Her secret was out now, there was no need to hide. Lifting her fingers to gently trace across her lips she faced towards him and opened those bright sapphire eyes again, "Instead of courting me like a proper gentleman should have, however, you went straight to my father of all people and arranged this behind my back. For all I could have known you were this spiteful man who would hit his wife and use her how he saw fit without any regard to her feelings. I could never marry someone who didn't respect me."

She stood up a little straighter at that her hands lowering to them to her, for now, bound chest, "Once a woman marries a man, everything that was once hers is now his. Everything but two things, her heart and her mind. Yes even the thing every woman is given and to many of us, our 'value', eventually and ultimately become his with or without your consent on the matter. I did not want to marry a man who simply took all that was given to him on a platter."

"You think that's why I broke protocol? Samantha, I didn't want you out on the bloody street! Your father is dying. And with his medical bills, you all would have been without pride and home. You also don't know that in exchange for your hand, I pay for his medical bills so you will actually have some inheritance to your name. I didn't want you penniless and having to sell your home. I would have let you keep everything!"

He didn't raise his voice very high, but his anger and hurt was very clear. He stared at her face, her beautiful face and did the only thing he could think of despite how out of character and scandalous it was- he kissed her. He simply went for it while sliding his hands into her hair and loosening it from the tie. He was hurting and he genuinely cared about her. He had been terrified that she had died or been kidnapped or something dreadful, but had been hopeful that she would return. Her father was controlling, but still, Darius had wanted the spitfire girl for himself. His kiss was soft but demanding as he tried to gently ease her into kissing him in turn. But he didn't hope for it in the least.​

Samantha's eyes went wide as she listened to him, "Then I am in great debt to you, but why did you care? You never heard of me, nor I of you till Father summoned me to his office that morning he told me you were my fiance." She had heard stories about him of course. The Cassanova wasn't far from the heels of any story. Though the rumors she had heard were years old by now, and unable to be really taken for truth.

Could it?

She would have kept speaking, if his lips hadn't met hers into a soft, demanding, kiss. Her already rattled nerves was caught offguard by the touch. She halfway expected to hurt her and throw her out to the streets, by now her reputation would have brought him down with her. Shouldn't it? Who would marry a missing fiance, let alone one that went against the grain of society and challenged others. She wouldn't understand it but she was truly years before her time. Yet for the present, she had lost all concept of such things, even her heartbeat seemed like it was going in slow motion. His gentleness had broken down her walls before she had even realized it.

Her doubts on killing him should have been the first clue to what was really going on.

Hesitent at first, she returned his kiss with a soft one of her own, only hers was riddled with a sudden wave of shyness that had claimed her. What had he done to her?

As she hesitantly returned the kiss, he put a little more edge into it before slowly easing off. He noticed her cheeks were flushed a delicate and modest pink and he smiled, though the hurt was still there. Didn't she get it? She wasn't like the other women, the ones focused on clothes and fashion and nothing to do with the actual world. He smoothed some hair back from her face as he said as much.

"When I heard about you, I couldn't stop thinking about you. Your wit, your intelligence, your rebellious side. I wanted it for my own. I should have come to you and asked you properly, but the situation with your father felt like a guillotine. I thought I wouldn't get to you in time and something awful would befall you. I don't want a brainless woman who only likes to spend money and plan parties. I want a woman I can have a real relationship with. I went backwards with the whole deal, but you, Samantha, have made me crazy."

He smiled softly as his thumb stroked her cheek which was hot beneath his touch. It sent a flair down his body, but he ignored it for her modesty and innocence was more important than fulfilling his lusty urges. She may have been a woman, but she was still a young girl in another way. It didn't condemn her. It just made him more cautious. He gently eased away from her, feeling his breaches were a little on the tight side. He gave her a soft but sad smile.

"Why didn't you just ask to see me in order to call the thing off?"​

If any of the rumors had been true, the man could kiss. This left her flustered, the blush on her cheeks the tell-tale sign that despite her outward rejections to him, he had done something right. When he smoothed her away she tucked the stray strands behind one her ears. It was unusual for her to be thought as the woman a man would want, always scorned for the most part by suitors for her insaitable thirst for knowledge. Perhaps it was because of that that she had remained single while her sisters had well, not.

A small shiver trailed down her spine as she felt the gentle stroke of his thumb along her skin. What was he doing to her? Maybe her sisters were right, you could grow to love someone in time, but was this love? Or was the warmth he had provided from a simple touch, a single kiss, something else entirely? She shook her head to clear her thoughts as those sapphire eyes lingered along his face, searching for her own answers that still remained unspoken.

"For the exact reason you decided to arrange this without my asking. Father is a very prideful man, and did not like the fact I would rather choose being a spinster with no prospects versus a wife with everything within her reach - but unloved." She reached up to gently run her fingertips along her lips, "A woman only wanted for the skills her body possesses rather than something that could benefit them all. But..."

She looked up at him with those bright eyes of hers. "What are you going to do with me now?"

"I would like it if you would continue to stay. For Heaven's Sake, Samantha, I'm not a monster and would never subject you to anything you didn't want. If you do decide to stay, you'll have the room down the hall from mine. It's fitted with anything you might need."

He said softly, still stroking her cheek. She was indeed a smart and beautiful woman, which was looked down upon in their society that was slowly starting to change for the better. He enjoyed the fact that she was witty and scared men away with her smarts. He wanted a companion and a lover and a wife, not an empty-headed female. He wondered how she came to think that men were simply after her femininity, but then he realized that a lot of his male acquaintances had married their wives or were courting women simply for their looks and bloodlines. In all technicality, Samantha was beneath him in class, but he hadn't cared one way or the other.

"If you want, I can call it off now and you could return home, more than likely. I will...not pursue you any further, if that is your wish."

Again, he felt pain within his breast, and he had to keep himself from stepping back from her. He put on a small smile that was a mixture of defeat and accepting the inevitable. She probably would leave. Hell, she had probably been here trying to get as much information as possible to conclude whether or not he was worth the effort to stay.​

"I know."

That phrase would probably catch the man offguard as she looked at him intently, there was certainly confiction in her words, no lying there as she gently brushed off his coat with her hands, unsure of what to really do with them. Let alone with herself, she had never really been this close to someone who had accepted her as she was, even her father had a bit of disappointment that she wasn't like her younger sisters. Clearing her throat carefully, she looked down, rather than looking at his face.

"I will stay, on the condition that even if we get married according to the plan, that we will not consumate said marriage until you have courted me properly." She looked up at him then, her bright sapphire eyes watching him as she hoped he would agree, he could always torment her further until she submitted to him to begin with, but she still hadn't learned to trust him yet. Courting was important to establish the trust they needed to make this work, if it worked.

If nothing else, she was safe and protected - her natural rebellious didn't view this as a bad thing for by safe and protected it meant on her own terms, in her own home if she truly wished.

"Well..if we want to start off properly then..."

He was caught off-guard, but he wouldn't let it get him. He got to knees before her and took her hand in his. He looked up at her with a soft smile mixed with a grin. He didn't have her engagement ring on him, it was upstairs in his room, but still he was willing to at least ask her to her face for the time being before he could go upstairs and get it.

"Samantha Scarborough, will you take my hand in marriage and make me delighted to have such a witty and intelligent woman as my wife?"

He stroked the back of her hand with his thumb as he stood up and look down at her, awaiting her answer. He really hoped she would say yes, since he would agree to all her terms. He would properly court her and said as much.

"As much as I am male with needs, your needs come before mine. I will court you like you deserve and will not consummate our marriage until you see fit."​

Samantha watched him carefully as he went down on his knee. A blush redusting her cheeks as she watched himl. The proud, and wity Samantha might have finally met her match with Darius De'Marlik. Thos bright blue eyes flickering with her emotions, and thoughts. Too fast for many to understand.

Watching him rise again after his proposal, she cleared her throat softly, tucking some stray hairs away from her face behind an ear, finding her voice once more however it was far more huskier than it had been earlier, dropping it to her natural tones.

At the sametime her next statement seemed almost like a wedding rehearsal in itself.

"I do, so long as you, Darius De'Marlik, agree to the conditions I set forth with your word as a gentleman," she could have possibly said the wrong phrase. She knew even despite all his gentleness and kindess that he bestowed not only to her, but to others, left little to doubt his character - however the doubt was still there.

Eventually, she hoped that the doubt would fade, though there were other things the two needed to worry about. For now however, whatever unrest was to come in the De'Marlik household was at peace. There was something much more interesting to dabble into the intrigue and scandal. For how could society comprehend the Lady of the Scarborough household somehow managing to be under his roof and still remain pure?

Very gently, Darius placed a chaste kiss on Samantha's brow, lingering for a moment before stepping back, still holding her hand like it was the most natural thing in the world. He noted the time since they had started speaking and realized it was getting rather late. He called to his servants to clean the plates away and they did so without saying a word as to the way he held onto Sam or the way the lad was blushing. He had a feeling they knew that Sam was actually a girl or were just not sure about their lordship's sexual interests. He frowned the tiniest bit with frustration before he looked back at his fiance.

"Samantha, it would seem best if you retired and we cleared this mess up in the morning so that you have proper clothes. Unless you want to keep parading around like a boy.."

He winked at her before he placed a kiss on the back of her hand and released her. He had much to do before the morn. He brushed some hair from her face before stepping away completely lest he do more than just lightly touch and chastely kiss her. He sighed and combed his fingers through his hair before waiting for her to depart before he went about his own business.​

There was a difference being kissed, even a chaste one above one's brow, between a loving father and a future husband. A difference so wide that it left a shiver down her spine. Anticipation written in her eyes faded as she felt him pull away. The scent of him had filled her nose, true she had been in his quarters and had served him these past few months, but she had never really been this close. Close enough to almost hear his heart, smell his cologne, and even a scent of well...him. His hand was like an iron in hers, hot and solid even reassuring within the moment.

She hadn't felt like this before. What had brought on that change now? Was it the admittance she was no longer a boy and was at his disposal? Or what...? She didn't need the poison or charade anymore so why did he start affecting her now?

Hormones had to be talking - that's all there was to it.

"Would you like me to retire to my room, or...the other room?" She asked softly, she would leave soon enough. "If my lordship wishes to remain as thus then I can, but I am not ashamed to redress as a woman. It is my nature. What are you going to tell Father?" That question hung in the air, even though she knew eventually it would come up.

Then he kissed the back of her hand once more, she had to fight the next blush to reach her cheeks, afterall she felt eyes upon them now from the servants. It would be only natural soon enough that her secret was released on their ears as it was. Perhaps she was safer becoming the lady of the house. Wait, that wasn't Samantha's normal train of thought!

This was going to take awhile, even she knew that.

Back
Top Bottom