Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Steam as thick as Smog (TheDuchess + Tatcon)

Robert had been doing his best, but this society was not budging in the least. He was living proof this newest type of steam powered technology worked, it was sitting on his right arm, poking out from a torn sleeve of a long neglected military long coat, stained with oil and grime that had accumulated in the years since his retirement from active combat. The light brown haired man had made a gold plated replica of his lost arm and succeeded and grafting it to his skin, it now working just like his biological skin had before a vicious cannonball had grazed past it and shattered the bone, forcing the appendage's removal.

But here he was, standing among the mixing grounds of the broken middle class and spoiled upper crust, trying in vain to prove to all the benefits of this new technology. He was trying to drum up some support so that he could have the potential to expand his research to medical sciences (he had been a medic while in Her Majesty's Army) and even the advancement of the industrial sector. But it was to no avail, even the normally curious Jewish quarter seemed to dodge him, and they were his best bet.

He had to take a break, sitting down on his selected stairs to pull a small, sad looking sandwich from his coat pocket, unwrapping it a bit as he took a slow bite, left fleshy hand brushing away a bit of grime on his cheek. This city was so dirty for those would couldn't afford new clothes and a bath once a month.

She moved with grace down the street the tips of her shoes poking out from her dress as she walked, she held a parosel in her hand and kept it on her shoulder, she had her raven black hair pulled up and pined to the side with large curls hanging to the side, she smiled her red lips the little white hat sitting on her head with the green ribbon, she had enchanting green eyes and a wonderful figure from what society could see, she wore a white dress with a few green accents here and there, she gripped the umbrella with her gloved hand and turned here eyes looking at a dirty man on some steps, she was the kind type but she was also cautious, she walked by him pushing a lock of her hair away from her face, the scent of lavender surrounding her frame.

His nose would catch the soft smell of this certifiably unique woman passing so close to him, and as he looked up from under his messy tweed chimney cap, he would take sight of the young woman as she moved before him. He would extend his natural hand towards her in an attempt to catch her attention before he spoke.
"Miss, are you interested in the prospects of a steam powered future, one that is brighter than the burning embers of coal that define the world we live in. What if I told you I could cure some of the worst medical conditions out there, such as amputation with the careful application of technology and advancing surgical knowledge?" He said as quickly as he could while remaining listenable. She seemed as likely as anyone to be able to help him at least spread his word.

She turned her head to him and looked at him studing him a bit longer before walking up close to him looking at him " steam research you say..... walk with me" she smiled at him and turned around again walking away from him turning her gaze to him assuming he would follow," tell me more of this technology, i have a father who lost his foot to a rabid dog" she said quietly and eyed his right are watching the mechanics of it.

He would indeed join her, walking alongside politely, not jumping around like some starving animal who caught whiff of a treat. And as she watched his arm, she would notice that, except for the small outburst of overheated steam, the movements were quite natural and smooth, the mechanics of the arm hidden away under the gold plating.
"It's clean, as you can see miss, it's extremely smooth and quite hygenic. A couple years ago I was a medic with the military, and a rogue cannonball slammed through my tent and shattered the bones in my right arm. As you can see, I'm a better man for it." He continued, working on angles of sales pitches he hadn't the slightest clue on how to set up. "Now, a foot would prove an interesting challenge, I haven't had much chance to advance my research after this graft, but I work as much as I can. Tell me little miss, what's your name?" He asked, wanting to be privy to the name of her expectedly higher class lineage.

She smiled and walked with him listening and nodding slowly to him " alright what would you say if i funded your research?, i would love for you to make my father a foot, oh and how rude of me, my name is Elizabeth Sherman" she said extending her gloved hand and smiling at him. " But do you think you could do it i mean, create a foot?" she asked him while continuing to walk before stopping infront of a house and pulling downt he umbrella and holding it in her hands and looking at him.

"With the funding miss Sherman...yes, I do believe it is quite possible. And pardon my manners, my name is Doctor Robert Michaels." He said, taking her hand gently and placing a kiss upon her knuckles, a surefire sign that he was well acquainted with the ancient ways of greeting and policy. Returning her her hand, he would stand before her a moment before looking in at the house that she had stopped at. "Yours I presume?" He asked.

She smiled and nodded " why don't you come in and we can discuss this further over tea" she said before climbing the steps and opening the door alowing him in and smiling slightly before placing her umbrella in a tall basket and set her had on the hat rack befor epulling her gloves off and walking towards the kitchen and laying her gloves down before grabbing some water out of the pitcher and pouring it into a kettle to heat over the fire, she smiled and waved her hand slightly " go on and sit the tea will be ready in a moment. You can tell me more about how you came upon this reasearch of yours" she smiled at him and went to the large fire place checking her stew which smelled very good, she looked at him and grabbed a bowl and pouring a little bit in it before grabing a spoon and walking to him " here i saw the pittiful sandwich you were eatting, maybe this will fill you up a bit more" she smiled and placed the bowl infront of him and smiled before sitting down waiting for her kettle to whistle.

He would accept the bowl graciously, and take a few spoonfuls of the stew carefully. Despite not having the best diet as of late, he still remembered his manners, especially in the presence of a beautiful young lady. Giving a contented "mmm" as the stew swept past his tongue and into his stomach, he would remember why he was here, and started right in on answering her question.

"Well, here in Britain, we've used steam for a long while, we still do to this day, trains being the greatest example of this. The problem is the technology is crude, no one has ever seen the need or reason to expand it beyond it's current boundaries. I see the potential, it can be quite clean, efficient to use and need minimal repairs as long as the components are protected properly. So that's why a foot would be a challenge, it needs to withstand quite a bit of abuse. And with the careful re-attachment of human tissue and nerve ending, one can be able to manipulate the technology like I can with my arm." He spouted, quite excited that at least someone would give him the time of day to explain his ideas.

She smiled at him watching him eat and talk about what he was working on, she was quite impressed with his research and wanted to run this by her father after all he was the one with out a foot, she knew he wouldn't go for it at first tho " i see, well if you are going to meet my father you need to clean yourself up a bit, he is rather cautious of.... well dirty people" she didn't want to hurt his feelings so she looked at him in a sorry way before she stood and walked to a cabnet and grabbed a box down, after a moment she placed it back and came over to him handing him a large silver coin and a few others " here take these and and get new clothes and the large silver coin is a bath token, this gives you the full treatment, please don't say no Mr. Michaels " she said quietly and placed the coins on the table and walked back to get the pot as it whistled loudly.

"I don't trust dirty people, so I can quite understand where your father is coming from." He would reply as he finished the bowl of stew and placed it down on the table. "That was delicious." He added as a divine compliment for her lovely cooking, wanting to lean back in the chair he was sitting in, but knowing that would probably leave some dirt behind.

When she offered him the silver, he would accept it graciously with a small bow, "This would do excellently miss, thank you. I have my old military uniform around, so I'll make sure to clean that up and make myself presentable before bringing the proposition to your father. I must really thank you for this Miss Sherman. Quite thoughtful." He repeated as he placed the coins in his jacket, running metallic fingers over his rather happy stomach slowly.

All she could do was smile and nod to him " if you have any left over ...... keep it" she said softly and took his bowl towards the sink and brought him a cup of tea " we will go tomorrow, i'm afraid my father is out with my mother today" she said softly and took a sip of tea and smiling " plus that would give you time to prepare i would imagin" she nodded and sat up straight and placed her tea cup in her hands which were in her lap.

"Yea, I would be able to probably draw up some prototypes tonight so I can present a worthwhile image to your father tomorrow. Thank you for the tea." He said, raising his cup politely before taking a small sip, and letting the warm drink wash down the lovely stew. "So is it really only for your dad that you would stop and talk to some dirty idea monger among the streets of London? Seriously now, I cannot be the most trusty looking man to have come to you with ideas." He inquired, feeling a little inadequate at the attention he was receiving for doing what most people thought of spouting lunacy.

She looked at him from her cup and stared a moment before setting her cup down " yes that is one reason, but unlike most women i find that steam can be used for other things, people are just to ignorent to try, im glad there is at least one person willing to try" she said before starting again " and the other reason is, i belive that if you are kind to other no matter who they are, good things will happen, like my gester to listen to you and feed you, might take you to other things, you might get others to help in your research, even find other means of funds there is no telling what is going to happen just with little moments like this" she sat there and looked at him curving her red lips up in another smile.

Back
Top Bottom